4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steam and Steel
Rohirrim
post Oct 26 2013, 05:32 PM
Post #1

Mouth
Group Icon

Jonah stepped into the morning sun from the darkness of the tailor shop. He carefully situated his goggles on his face, hitched up the rifle strap on his shoulder, and went to find some lunch. This was the slaughterhouse district, so a broiled beefsteak or kidney and some drink wouldn't be too hard to find. Spotting the double doors of a saloon, he stepped in and grabbed a seat at the bar. He held up his flask and dropped a penny on the bar. "Refill, please. Whiskey." The bartender silently obliged him, and Jonah took a swig. He winced. Rye, always rye, he thought, what I wouldn't do for some good old bourbon. He let the whiskey coat his mouth then put down a nickel. "Two kidney chops, my good man." The barkeep went into the kitchen to place Jonah's order. Satisfied it was being taken care of, Jonah looked around. The synth-piano played a gay tune, and some women of questionable virtue, as well as several other patrons, were around. He hiked up his bowler hat, letting his bangs fall down, and removed his goggles, putting them on his forehead. He cast a glance at the bounty board hanging at the end of the bar. Maybe, he thought, maybe.

This post has been edited by Rohirrim: Oct 26 2013, 05:33 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Oct 26 2013, 06:22 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

There was a certain charm about the saloon, Lucius couldn't help but reflect. True, it was dingy, run-down and smelt slightly, but it was also a place where he was having a 'lucky streak' in the current poker game and getting away with it, and it left him greatly enamoured towards the place.

"Your move, Duke," the Texan he was sitting opposite him said, grinning as he laid down a pair of Kings. The third man at the table, unmistakably Apache even in the gear of a working cowboy, shook his head.

"No way you're beating that, Englishman," he pronounced grimly.

"Oh, I don't know about that, old boy," Lucius said, laying down his cards on the table. "The four fine fellows I've got on my side might just have a thing or two to say about that, don't you know."

"Four aces?" the Texan said, looking at the cards. "God damn!"

He sighed as he slid the small pile of notes and coins to Lucius.

"Well, Duke," he said. Lucius managed to avoid the glower at the nickname the Texan had chosen for him. "Guess you won that round fair and square. You up for another?"

"Perhaps a bit later, old sport," Lucius said, the words of his adopted accent rolling off the tongue with practised ease. "Right now one feels the need to wet the old whistle, wot."

The Texan gave him a look that seemed to threaten violence, but decided that Lucius, or 'Algernon' as the New Yorker had introduced himself, wasn't worth the effort.

"Yeah, fine," he said, as Lucius stood and collected his winnings. As Lucius left the table, he heard the Texan remark; "And that, my Apache friend, is why you should never underestimate an Englishman."

Lucius took a spot on the bar next to a man who had just placed his bowler hat down, a long rifle sticking up from his back like an antenna.

"Excuse me, barkeep, I don't suppose it would be possible for me to get a gin and tonic, would it? Oh, it would? Jolly good, one of those please."

The drink arrived a few moments later, and Lucius took a sip. He noticed the way Bowler Hat was eyeing up the bounty board on the bar, and for the sake of striking up conversation asked; "You a bounty hunter, by chance? Exciting looking work, that. Never been my cup of tea, mind, but certainly seems thrilling."
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Oct 26 2013, 06:37 PM
Post #3

Mouth
Group Icon

Jonah looked over to the man who had asked him if he was a bounty hunter. "No sir, I'm an aeronautical engineer by trade, a freelancer. I do some bounties occasionally, I like to keep in practice, but it aint my specialty by any means. The name's Jonah Markwit. And you would be...?"

John eyed the man up and down. He had a mask covering half his face, a cybernetic arm, and quite a dapper suit on. Wonder how he got that injury, Jonah thought, pausing to look at the arm and mask again. He took another drink from the flask. "Terrible stuff, rye whiskey. But it's all they got out here. You from England, stranger? Y' here to join the Darwinists?"

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Oct 26 2013, 08:28 PM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

Morning light streamed through the dark, closed curtains of the saloon's upper rooms. Betty was already awake, combing a three-pronged comb through her curls, careful to leave the curls springy and smooth. Her face was already washed, but makeup free at this point. Her thin cotton undergarments left her pale, tattooed arms naked, a novelty in such a town as Dodge, Kansas. The intricate weavings of celtic knots along her eft arm, twining around the fleshy part of her arm, were joys to most of her Johns.

"They don't make 'em like you, anymore, darling."

Betty turned her head slightly, her full pink lips curling up in a slight smile. Her John was sitting propped up on one elbow, his handlebar mustache twitching in an amused grin. The light from the morning streamed in and lit her face up, giving her the appearance of a fiery halo.

"If I were a religious man, I'd thank the gods for you. But I'll simply marvel at the wonder in front of me."

She laughed, a soft, tinkling sound. She covered her mouth with pale fingertips, a practiced move, her eyes crinkling in amusement.

"Sugar, you flatter me. You know that won't lower your bill."

"Flattery is free, Betty. Come here."

"Sugar, I'm hardly dressed for receiving."

"I say you look glorious as you are."

Her nostrils flared as she bit back a laugh, keeping the chaste smile on her face as she rose. Her cotton garments rustled as her slip fell back to her knees, and the man drank her in as she walked. His hands fell to her ample hips as she straddled him.

"You know the drill, Tobias. The night is over, and the package deal is null until ten tonight. Tell me what you want, and we can get started."

"The usual. You know me, Betty." He pulled a fiver out of his wallet sitting on the nightstand. Betty slid the bill into her bra and grinned at him.

"Of course. I thought maybe you'd want something different this time. Doesn't hurt to ask."

Twenty minutes later, Betty was back to combing her once again unkempt hair. Tobias had headed downstairs to grab a quick drink at the bar before heading back to his job at the local bank. She blew irritated breaths out of her nose as she rearranged the curls on her head, making a neat, but stylishly messy, bun. she allowed a few ringlets to drape her face, then lightly powered her blemish-free face. She applied a red lipstick, giving her the unmistakable appearance of a working woman.

She slid on her dress, a black dress with undertones off dark crimson, lacy ruffles along the long sleeves, and just enough of a dip in the collar to show off slight cleavage of her ample bosom. She sat on the bed and counted her earnings of the evening. She technically owed The Madam half of what she made during the evening, and Tobias often provided her extra money through his wanting attention to his morning problem. She slid the fiver back into her bra, since the Guild accountant was a shrewd and prying man, going through the purses of each member, looking for every half cent.

She had made nearly a hundred dollars, and Betty was not happy. Most of the men were giving their attention to the new women, her only customers of late being her loyal ones. But the novelty would wear off, and they'd come crawling back to her.

Betty walked down the stairs, her graceful steps giving the impression she was nearly floating. A few men stared at her, but most knew who she was and what she did. She had, after all, live here most of her life. Though some of the men had known her before she had a womanly figure, that didn't stop them from approaching her for her services.

The bar was empty, save for a man in a bowler hat next to an impeccably dressed man with cybernetics. As per her profession, Betty eyed the men. The man in a bowler hat had the look and feel of a man with some brains, but no brawn. The other man, however, was impeccably dressed in a three-piece suit.

And cybernetics don't come cheap, She thought wryly. though it was early, and she had errands to run, the extra money in her pocket gave Betty the ability to get herself some food. She was, by no means, poor, but merely hungry. She slid onto a barstool a few places away from the better-dressed man, placing her slender hands in her lap. She smiled coyly at the bartender and ordered a whiskey and food.

She looked over at the well-dressed man and shot him a flirty smile and downed the shot and set it primly down. Maybe she could make a few extra bucks before noon.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Oct 26 2013, 11:57 PM
Post #5

Master
Group Icon

"Ah, an aeronaut, I see," Lucius nodded. "I'm Algernon DeMontjoy, by the way, but everyone calls me 'Algy'."

Lucius swirled his drink around after Jonah's comment about rye whiskey.

"Nothing short of a miracle that they've got half-decent gin around here," he said. "In answer to your question, I am indeed from England, but not here for the Darwinists; I, like many visitors to your fine nation, have come here hoping to make my fortune on America's fair shores."

A woman sat down nearby; if he were to guess by her attire and general manner, she was a working girl, no doubt about that. Well, he had some dollars going spare, and he could always treat himself. Even if she wasn't on that job, he might well get a roll in the hay by dint of his accent alone.

"Good morning to you, miss," Lucius said in response to the flirtatious smile she shot him. He made the motion of tipping a hat as he said that, partly in keeping with the character of an English gent and partly to flaunt the symbol of wealth that was of the cybernetic. He nodded to her empty glass. "Still thirsty, perchance?"
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Oct 27 2013, 12:21 AM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

Her flirty smile widened when he tipped his hat. She coyly batted her lashes and let out a short giggle.

"Why yes," she said in a soft, feminine voice. Her southern drawl was evident, but not overwhelming. Those outside of the south preferred it when the women enunciated properly, but still kept their slight twang. Betty knew how to do that, as practiced as she was at speaking with men. "I could use another shot, sugar."

Betty slid closer to the gentleman, the silky material of her dress rustling against the other fabrics of her outfit. She dipped her chest lower, allowing the Englishmen a better look down her top. She tilted her head slightly and slid the glass smoothly over to his hand, her fingertips resting lightly on the rim.

"Buy me a drink, handsome?"

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Oct 27 2013, 02:09 AM
Post #7

Mouth
Group Icon

Jonah observed all this in a bored way. Whores, he thought, they manage to show up everywhere. HE returned his attention to the bounty board.

Wanted, it said, Dead or Alive: Rodney Razorback, Mutant and Gang Leader. $300 Reward. Additional $10 for Every Dead or Captured Gang Member.

Jonah took a swig of whiskey again. He didn't even wince, he was so lost in thought. He looked over at Algernon. He seems strong...perhaps he would be interested? In any case, he noticed his kidney chops had arrived, and began eating quietly, lost in thought.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Oct 30 2013, 10:12 AM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

Lucius had to admit that the woman's pale skin, red hair and curves were a pleasing combination, and it certainly helped that she had managed to look good without slathering herself in makeup, as was the wont of most ladies of negotiable affection.

"Why, it would be my pleasure," Lucius said with a slight smile. "Barkeep, two whiskies please, there's a good fellow."

The drinks arrived a few moments later, two fresh shots of whatever local brew was being served.

"Might I be so bold as to ask your name, miss...?"
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Oct 30 2013, 10:42 PM
Post #9

Ancient
Group Icon

The man's English accent was stiff, but charming. She slid her eyes up and down his suit, a slightly lusty look on her face. Her real intentions were slightly more nefarious than her face betrayed. Were she to nab herself a rich John this early in the morning, perhaps she could make him cough up a little more cash, unawares.

Betty wasn't unaccustomed to rich men. Her most loyal Johns were those in power. The mayor, bankers, hell, even a few priests and holy men sought her services when they wanted to see Heaven. As she looked him up and down, she tried to discreetly check for extra pockets on the insides of his jacket. She'd check later. She drank her shot quickly, setting the glass down primly, a small smile, no teeth, on her lips as she held her hand out for him to kiss. She had dabbed a small bit of perfume on her wrists this morning, and she was glad she did.

"Betty," She said in answer to his question. "And you are?"

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Oct 31 2013, 04:29 PM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

"Algernon DeMontjoy," Lucius lied, kissing Betty's hand between the knuckles of the index finger and middle. His nostrils caught the faint scent of perfume.

It was hard to tell if the lustful looks Betty was giving him were genuine or not, but if Lucius were to guess he would have to say they were encouragement for him to engage her in business. As enjoyable as this little exchange was, it was nothing more than a game of innuendo to disguise a business transaction, an exchange of coin for carnality, and he would be a naive idiot to think that she wanted anything from him apart from his cash. He had always been a cynic, and his violent treatment that had forced him out of New York had beaten any last scraps of naivete out of him.

"But please, call me Algy."

This post has been edited by Colonel Mustard: Oct 31 2013, 04:30 PM
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Nov 1 2013, 12:36 AM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

Betty smiled a little wider at him when he kissed her hand gently.

He'll be in for a surprise later when he sees how many tattoos I have. She thought to herself, amused. Though she was mutant and cybernetic-free, she did not have virgin skin. Light green wines twined up her stomach from her nethers, twisting around her navel and cradling her breasts. Colorful pictures on her arms of fish, even a small oasis in the desert, were etched on her arms. They were covered by her long sleeves, though. Most were less surprised by these, and more impressed with the detailed cybernetic bat winks on her shoulderblades, extending to jut above her buttocks. A poem, the words the leaves of a willow tree, graced her left thigh in brown and green ink.

By no means was she, in any way, virginal. And she intended to make that clear.

"Algy," she purred, drawling out his name gently, pronouncing it the way he had, with a twang. "I haven't heard a name like that except from someone who was from nobility. Tell me, Algy," Her voice was smooth as silk as she said his name. "What's a cultured gentleman like yourself doing in Dodge?" She lightly traced the rim of her glass with pale, delicate-looking fingers. She allowed her gaze to linger on his trousers for a second before looking back up to his face. She wanted to close this deal soon. She had errands to run.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Nov 1 2013, 11:17 PM
Post #12

Councilor
Group Icon

Gregor paused as he stepped into the saloon, loitering in the entrance, the pale morning light behind him and the brim of his stetson casting a shadow across his face. He smiled, the cold, grim smile of a predator as he scanned the room, his practised eyes darting from face to face. Saloons like this were where people come to hide, to avoid problems, he'd made good money in the past in places like this, but not today.

He made his way to the bar, his right hand never straying too far from his holster as he walked, making his way to the far end before taking a seat, turning slightly to keep the entrance in sight. The bartender was already waiting for his order as he sat down. "Gimme something to wash the dust outta my throat, then gimme a shot of something worth drinking" Gregor placed his left hand on the bar, the fingers tapping away, while his right hand rested on his leg, covering the holster.

He threw a glance over the others sat at the bar, weighing them up with an experienced eye. A young guy checking out the bounty board, not in the trade, just a look at him gave that away. Too neat, too tidy, with an engineer's rifle slung over his shoulder. Near him was a tin plated dandy. It seemed to Gregor that cybe's only came in two types; those that showed off how basic they were, and those that tried to make 'emselves artistic. Gregor never met a dandy he liked. He was talking to a red-haired harlot. Good looking, reminded him of-. Gregor's mind veered off that thought, and turned his attention to his drinks, knocking back the cheap one and grimacing.

He caught the eye of the guy checking out the bounty board. "Anythin' good up there?"

This post has been edited by Callidus Thorn: Nov 3 2013, 04:07 PM

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Nov 3 2013, 02:13 PM
Post #13

Mouth
Group Icon

Jonah lookedupfrom his food, holding up his index finger as he swallowed. "Not really, although one did catch my eye. There's a mutant gang out in the plains, and they've got a pretty hefty sum on their heads. You a bounty hunter, my good man? Say, what is your name, stranger?"

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Nov 3 2013, 04:17 PM
Post #14

Councilor
Group Icon

Gregor snorted contemptuously at the young man's response.

"Amateurs, always chasin' the big money. The name's Gregor Jones, and I've been huntin' men for more'n twenty-five years, and mutants for the last ten. You know how many times I've seen a man take down a gang by himself?"

He stood up and moved down the bar, sitting next to the man and looking at the board for himself. "Hell, it don't even tell you how many're in his gang, could be a half dozen of 'em, could be more. That's why they're payin' well, they're expectin' to have to pay a posse to go after 'em. A man'd have to be mad to take them on alone."

He knocked back his second drink. "Barkeep. One more, for the road." He said, dropping a couple of coins on the bartop.

This post has been edited by Callidus Thorn: Nov 3 2013, 04:18 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Nov 3 2013, 04:38 PM
Post #15

Mouth
Group Icon

Jonah pointedly raised an eyebrow at the man's response. "I said nothing about following through, just looking. I don't know any man in this town, 'cepting you and the man dealing with the whore over there. I'd be madder than a coyote to try for that. In any case, I'm Jonah Markwit, aeronautical engineer, Mr. Jones."

This post has been edited by Rohirrim: Nov 3 2013, 06:13 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Nov 3 2013, 06:02 PM
Post #16

Councilor
Group Icon

"Sorry fella, seen too many young men with guns chasing a big score go down in a hail o' lead. Mistook you for the type. Glad to see you've got some sense, Mr Markwit." He nodded to the bartender as he set the drink in front of Gregor. “Aeronautics must pay well, to be able to afford such a fine weapon. Didn't think it was a profession that needed a gun like that though, you use it much?”

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Nov 3 2013, 06:12 PM
Post #17

Master
Group Icon

"What's a cultured gentleman like yourself doing in Dodge?"

"Chasing my fortune," Lucius said. "I'm an investor, and I'm trying to see if there's any money in the railroads here."

He saw the slight hint of impatience in her gaze, and added; "Of course, aside from the railroads there are numerous other...assets one would be willing to invest in."

This post has been edited by Colonel Mustard: Nov 3 2013, 06:13 PM
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Nov 3 2013, 06:13 PM
Post #18

Mouth
Group Icon

"No, sir, not really, but I if an outlaw or two should try for it, this does help to scare 'em off. I've killed around five men and plenty more animals with this. The best part is you don't even gotta buy percussion caps. One steam cartridge'll last you at least a month of use." Jonah took a drink from his flask again. "What's your story, Mr. Jones? I'd be quite interested to hear it."

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Nov 3 2013, 06:37 PM
Post #19

Councilor
Group Icon

"Can't say there's much of a tale to tell. Left home young, got into bounty hunting the hard way, and I've spent the last two and a half decades making my way across America. All of it under a banner of "dead or alive." He knocked back his drink, but made no move to rise. When he continued speaking his voice was cold, devoid of emotion. "I've dragged men behind bars, I've led more'n a few to the gallows, I've left more dead men in my wake than I care to remember, and not all of 'em were marks. And all I've got to show for it is what you see here. No thrilling tale here, just a man surviving."

He nodded to the barman, gesturing for another drink. "The road can wait" he muttered to himself.

This post has been edited by Callidus Thorn: Nov 3 2013, 09:29 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Nov 3 2013, 07:17 PM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

"Of course, aside from the railroads there are numerous other...assets one would be willing to invest in."

Now they were getting down to what Betty was really interested in. Money. She was glad for the bit of spearmint in her toothpaste as she leaned in, a sultry smile in her face. She leaned in close to his left ear and whispered.

"Why don't we discus the assets you're interested in upstairs?" Her fingertips lightly rested on his knee. Were he drunk, she'd be more bold. He seemed sharp, and able to pick up on her signals easily enough. But negotiations with a drunk man and sober man were two different worlds. A sober man was lighter on his feet, and had a sharper mind. Dull minds were useful to Betty.

But she did love a challenge occasionally.

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:39 AM