Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Winterhold Wanderings
Elisabeth Hollow
post Feb 24 2014, 01:36 AM
Post #21

Ancient
Group Icon

"Halt!"

One of the guards took a few steps forward. "By decree of Jarl Ulfric, no beasts allowed inside the city."

Kayla was taken aback at the sheer gall of the guard. The last she had visited, it was rumored and not said aloud that beasts weren't permitted in the city. She took a deep breath.

"Look, we're-"

"No, YOU look," the guard stepped closer until his helmet was nearly nose-to-nose with her. "No beast races inside the city, period, elf! You're lucky I'm even letting your kind in!"

Something inside Kayla's head snapped, and she saw red. She took in a deep breath and pointed her finger at the guard's nose.

"Look here, Nord, we've traveled all the way from Chorrol just to come to the College, and we're TIRED! we're trying to find help for a family of Nords who've been stranded in their home, and we're getting supplies for them! So you and your little guard friend are going to let us inside so we can help those poor people DYING out there!"

The guard hesitated. "How many people?"

"Roughly about eight. We gave them half of our rations and we need a priest so they can be healed."

"You're in luck. The Temple of Talos has two healers." He shot a look at Aravi. "You can go in, elf, but the beast stays out here. She can find shelter with the lizards."

Kayla fumed again and opened her mouth to say something.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 24 2014, 02:18 AM
Post #22

Master
Group Icon

Before Aravi knew it, Kayla and the guard were in a shouting match over her.

Divines this is bad…

Kayla was about to unleash another onslaught on the guard. Aravi grabbed her arm and yanked her away before she could say more.

It occurred to her as she led Kayla away that it may have been painful.

When they were out of earshot, she said, “Sorry if that hurt.”

In a lower voice she continued, “I noticed the ice is solid. I think I can get in through the harbor. The wall there is in poor repair, or at least it was the last time I was here. I’ll wait for nightfall, and then go over the ice and sneak through the wall there. That leads into the Grey Quarter. I’ll try to get a room at the Corner Club. It’s a dump without a sign, but you should be able to find it. If I’m not there then well…” She looked over her shoulder at the stable. “I’ll be with the horses hopefully...”

…And not at the bottom of the river.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Feb 24 2014, 02:26 AM
Post #23

Ancient
Group Icon

Kayla's surprised look was seen by Aravi, and she apologized as if she had hurt her. Kayla was more surprised than anything that Aravi could lift a spoon, much less yank the much bigger Altmer.

She shook her head at Aravi's plan. "No, this isn't right. You shouldn't have to sneak into the city like you've done something wrong! You're not a criminal, you're...you're Aravi!"

Kayla unclenched her fists and huffed. "This isn't right. What did Khajiit ever to to Ulfric?"She snapped her fingers.

"We disguise you as an old lady! No, that won't work..."

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 24 2014, 02:41 AM
Post #24

Master
Group Icon

Aravi shrugged.

“No it isn’t right, but we aren’t getting into a fight with the guards either. We won’t win.”

“We disguise you as an old lady! No, that won't work...”

“No that won’t,” she agreed.

A chill wind rose while they stood on the bridge, penetrating Aravi’s furs. She shivered.

“I’m pretty sure I can get in. It’s getting dark and I’m quiet. As long as I don’t run into a patrol or something I should be fine.”

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Feb 24 2014, 02:46 AM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

Kayla wrung her hands, looking torn. On one hand, she felt horrid for leaving Aravi outside the gates, but on the other, if Aravi was so sure she could get inside...

"Two hours. You have two hours to get in. If you don't get there, then I'm coming back out."

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 24 2014, 03:07 AM
Post #26

Master
Group Icon

“Give me three. It won’t be dark enough for another hour, and then I will need time to sneak in.”

She gave Kayla what she hoped was a confident look. “I can do this.”

Blue energy leapt from her fingers and settled into her canvas wrapped feet. They glowed blue briefly before the energy faded into invisibility. Perhaps this show would help convince the Altmer she could go.

Aravi was quiet, even without the muffle spell. Good enough to get behind a bored bandit for a quiet strike, but not good enough usually to get into a camp, and out, without being noticed.

This night would be a test of her skill and patience. Assuming Kayla went for it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Feb 24 2014, 03:14 AM
Post #27

Ancient
Group Icon

Kayla let out an impatient and helpless noise.

"Fine. Three hours. I know you're more capable than I give you credit for. I just...you're my friend,and I don't want you to get hurt. Besdies, nearly no one in Skyrim can swim, and if you drop into the water, you're gone, and that's terrifying!"

She blew out a breath to calm herself. "I'll be waiting at the...the what club? Corner Club? I'll meet you there. Should I go now?"

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 24 2014, 03:32 AM
Post #28

Master
Group Icon

Aravi didn’t want to think about what would happen if the ice broke. She would drown or freeze to death if she managed to pull herself out.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be fine. I’m light. Here,” she shrugged off her pack and handed it to Kayla, “take that for me.”

“Yes it’s the Corner Club. It’s the only place you can stay in the Grey Quarter.”

She gave Kayla a quick hug. “Get a warm bed for me.”

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Feb 24 2014, 03:54 AM
Post #29

Ancient
Group Icon

Kayla hugged Aravi tightly and headed into the city, which was much easier the second time without her. She could feel the guards' eyes boring into her through the helmets as she passed by, even on the streets. Outside, a handsome Nord regarded her wearily, and someone called him Captain Lonely-Gale. He frowned and turned his head away from her, and she kept walking towards the Corner Club.

She found the dingy building easily enough, though the other Altmer who saw her go in turned their noses up at her. She got them a room and waited on Aravi.

This post has been edited by Elisabeth Hollow: Feb 25 2014, 01:07 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 24 2014, 04:55 AM
Post #30

Master
Group Icon

Aravi let go of Kayla and ran back over the bridge, away from the city.

---------

A weather system rolled in from the north while Aravi waited for the day’s last light to fade from the sky. At first she was glad, the clouds would block out the light of the moons and stars.

Then it started sleeting. Aravi swore like the crudest Nord.

She was hunched against the weather down by the bank of the river. Tiny ice crystals blew into her face, stinging her pink nose. It was earlier than she wanted to go, but in this weather, who would be able to see her? She could hardly see the city walls. Who would see her?

Her claws clacked quietly over the ice. It groaned eerily in a few places, but she kept moving. She made straight for the city walls, then followed them around to the opposite end.

Her heart leapt into her throat once when her foot crashed through the ice and into the freezing water. She pitched forward of her own accord, landing on her stomach to spread her weight over more of the ice. Then she pulled herself away from the break with her claws, sliding on her belly.

When she thought she was sufficient distance away from the break, she got up on her knees, then feet. Always ready to dive forward again.

Thankfully she didn’t have to.

The guards in the harbor were easy to slip by. They kept to predicable paths, making their required rounds as fast as they could.

She went straight for the crumbling spot in the wall. It was still there she saw with some relief. In better weather, this would be child’s play to get to.

Now ice was forming over the stone. She needed to get up quickly.

Using her claws, she exploited crevices in the weathered stone walls. She was almost to the top when she slipped. Her claws started scrapping and she pushed off, landing behind a warehouse.

“What was that?”

Aravi lifted herself onto a stack of crates and laid flat.

She heard the crunch of his boots over snow. She held her breath.

He moved on. He must not have looked up. Claw marks could be seen where she slid.

She tried again, just a little to the side this time. She started to slip again at the same height but held on. She pushed up with her claws and got her hands over the side, and pulled herself up.

I’m in!

Getting to the Corner Club will be easy. The hovels the Dunmer lived in were built right up to the wall. Numerous alleys would allow her to avoid the roving patrols. Nobody else was out in this weather.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Feb 25 2014, 03:04 AM
Post #31

Ancient
Group Icon

Kayla decided that Aravi had taken long enough, even though it wasn't quite three hours yet. She got up from the single-bed with questionable sheets ("Well, if you want clean sheets in this city, you're better off waiting a few weeks," the proprietor had chuckled to Kayla, earning him a disgusted look.) and walked out the door, glancing around. She hugged her cloak to her body, thinking that Windhelm was correctly named as she began walking out the door. A glass bottled shattered near her head, and she jumped and put her hand on the hilt of Dawnbreaker. A very obviously drunk Nord man laughed loudly, nearly falling as he stumbled backwards slightly.

"Damn greyskins better stay-oh, you're a snooty snoot high elf. Well...o back to the Thalmor Embassy and tells 'em Rolff Stone-Fist says hello!" He waved his hand, twisted into a rude gesture. Kayla rolled her eyes.

"That's classy."

"You're a dark-elf lover, ain't you? You filthy piece of trash, get out of our city?"

Kayla's temper flamed again, but she kept it capped this time. She still needed to find Aravi, and with this guy standing outside the Corner Club, Aravi would never risk trying to run inside.

"You've got a terrible attitude for so early in the evening."

"Don't like it? Too bad. This is our city. Ours!"

"Yeah, okay."

" Don't think I can take you?"

"I never said-"

"One hundred septims says I can punch you back where you came from."

That's a mighty short punch, "Yeah, okay." She walked down the steps and shed her cloak. He cracked his knuckles and neck.

"All right. Fists only. And none of that magic stuff, either. Let's go!"

He swung first. Kayla always let her opponent swing first, especially when there were witnesses around. The contest was over easily, as the man was quite drunk, and Kayla only needed to drop to her knees, the bring her fist up sharply. The uppercut knocked him off his feet by a few inches, and he fell like a tree.

Hard.

She looked around. wondering if anyone saw that. Behind her the owner of the inn clapped.

"Bravo!" The Dunmer, who had introduced himself as Ambarys earlier, crowed in glee. "That man has harrassed us night after night for so long. Your room is discounted."

Kayla grabbed her cloak. "Really?"

"Yes. Has your friend arrived yet?"

Kayla shook her head. "No. I'm getting worried."

"Well, there'll be a bowl of milk for her."

"Uhhh...why a bowl?"

"Our cups are dirty. That wasn't meant to be offensive. I'll go clean a cup." He hurried inside.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 25 2014, 03:48 AM
Post #32

Master
Group Icon

She was getting close, she knew it this time. She had gotten turned around in one of the alleys and went in the wrong direction for ten minutes before catching herself.

And then she was almost caught by a patrol. Quick feet and foul weather got her away from them before they could decide what she was and if they should chase her.

Now she was there, behind the building. There was no back door she could use, she would have to risk the streets. There shouldn’t be any problems once she got inside. Her septims were just as good as anyone else’s at that point.

She peeked into the street.

Kayla, and a prone form occupied the street. Nobody else was about at the moment. She broke from her hiding place and ran to the High Elf.

“What happened?!”

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Feb 25 2014, 03:57 AM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

Kayla jumped and turned around, then grinned, her arms out.

"You're alive, and not frozen into a cat-sicle!" She hugged Aravi, lifting her off the ground. She put her down and pulled her into the Corner Club.

"He challenged me to a fist-fight. That bastard had the nerve to tell me no magick. I had to knock him out so you could come inside. Ambarys, this is my friend."

The Dunmer was pouring milk from a bowl into a mug, and he cursed when it spilled as he glanced over to her.

"Hello! Nice to finally meet you, Aravi. You need blankets? I'm pulling out the GOOD sheets for you and your friend."

Oh thank gods... Kayla thought.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 25 2014, 04:44 AM
Post #34

Master
Group Icon

“Yes, I’m – AH!”

Her toes left the frozen ground as she was given a fierce hug. Then before she could say anything more, she was hauled into the Corner Club.

She listened to what transpired with the knocked out man.

“I hope he doesn’t get the guards. Or freeze.” Either way, guards will search this place and I’ll be found.

The Dark Elf that ran the place greeted her much more cheerfully than she expected. She came here prepared to bribe him to let her stay a night.

She shivered. “Yes, I would love some blankets.”

Good sheets?

“Told you I could get in,” she looked at Kalya. She left out the part where she almost fell through the ice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Feb 25 2014, 04:53 AM
Post #35

Ancient
Group Icon

It suddenly occurred to Kayla that they had left a man outside in the cold. When she vocalized it, the Dunmer waved her concerns away.

"They'll see the bottle pieces and put it together. He's passed out several times here. He's found fairly quickly and we're never really bothered."

"That's great. So, those good sheets...?"

"Ah, yes, let me change those out for you..." He disappeared, then came back out of their room.

"No baths here, but there's a washbasin. It's all we an afford, unfortunately."

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 25 2014, 05:10 AM
Post #36

Master
Group Icon

Oh good. He won’t freeze then.

Aravi took a peek in the bed and saw what Kayla was talking about.

Her face was neutral again when Ambarys returned with new sheets and a couple of extra blankets.

He changed their sheets quickly after telling them of the wash basin. Aravi wasn’t interested, she was cold and tired. Her furs were soaking wet. The sleet that covered her melted. Cold drops dripped down her back.

There was a fireplace in their room, but it was empty. “Could we have a couple of logs?”

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Feb 25 2014, 05:19 AM
Post #37

Ancient
Group Icon

The owner nodded. "Of course. One moment." He disappeared for a little bit, and Kayla went into the room and began searching through her bags. the fistfight had put her in a good mood, and she was sure Aravi was used to her odd sense of humor when she was in a chirpy mood. Frisky, Ma'dat had called her once.

"What do you need logs for? We can keep each other warm." She turned around and gave Aravi an exaggerated wink, causing Ambarys to freeze.

"Oh." he began unloading logs, and Kayla burst into giggles.

"Dunmer blush purple?!"

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 25 2014, 05:44 AM
Post #38

Master
Group Icon

What? Then she saw Kayla’s expression. Oh!

She made a playful growl sound for effect. The Dunmer’s face was a deep shade.

Aravi grinned while Kayla giggled.

The Dunmer hurriedly built their fire and left. Aravi checked that the door was pulled shut.

“He’ll be peeking through the keyhole tonight for sure.”

She looked at the bed.

“Unless you want to sleep on the floor, it looks like we will be keeping each other warm.” At least its big enough that we will have some space.

Aravi grabbed one of the extra blankets and turned away from Kayla. She took off her wet furs and wrapped herself in the blanket. It was warm, as if it had been sitting by a fire before it was brought in to her. She sighed happily, then laid out her furs by their own fire to dry.

This post has been edited by King Coin: Feb 25 2014, 04:31 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Feb 26 2014, 12:51 AM
Post #39

Ancient
Group Icon

Kayla gave aravi a look filled with mock ust and growled back.

"Oh, darling!" she giggled.

"He'll be sorely disappointed if he peeks through, as I'm not drunk enough to touch a woman." She laughed once he left. "And I don't think you swing that way." She followed Aravi's lead and turned as she undressed, thankful that her pack was thick enough to shield most of her clothing from the snow. She sorely wished for a hot bath, but at least the washbasin wasn't frozen over, and the fire was roaring.

She then slid on her nightclothes, sighing in relief as the thick warm cloth warmed her skin. "And why do I have to be the one on the floor, huh?" She teased, poking Aravi's ribs gently. "For all I know, you find the floor comfortable. Though I doubt it." She sat by the fire, putting her feet near it.

"I'm fine with sharing a bed. It's not like we haven't slept close by each other while out there. Though be warned, I'm a cuddler."

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 26 2014, 03:56 AM
Post #40

Master
Group Icon

Aravi sat next to Kayla by the fire. She now had the blanket wrapped all around her and over her head. She knew she looked ludicrous, and she didn’t care. It was so nice and warm.

“I am not sleeping on the floor because I had to walk on ice, climb over walls, and dodge patrols to get here. Someone else got to just walk in through the gates like they owned the place,” Aravi said rolling her eyes and teasing her friend.

“But seriously, look at my claws!” She held a hand in front of her, showing her chipped claws. One point was completely broken. Sliding down the ice encrusted stone was hard on her claws.

“I’m fine with sharing. If you cuddle too much I'll push you onto the floor.”

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:31 AM