4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Revival of Sutch Discussion Thread
Uleni Athram
post Sep 3 2015, 01:35 AM
Post #41

Master
Group Icon

The others' turn will come as well. Heheheheheheh...

There's also a reasoning behind this madness and you'll see why when the bandits attack...

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Sep 3 2015, 06:59 AM
Post #42

Master
Group Icon

Alright guys I'm going to have to make just a small request; would you mind putting up a list of spells your characters know? I know it sounds like a bit of a hassle and you guys might be thinking "why now", but it cuts out the temptation to simply pull something out of thin air when it might be needed. That way this RP'll be more fun since the challenge I'm going to sic on you guys would be fair and consistent based on their skills and spells.

Innumerable apologies, my good sirs, for forgetting about making this request earlier.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Sep 3 2015, 07:23 AM
Post #43

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Sep 3 2015, 01:35 AM) *

The others' turn will come as well. Heheheheheheh...

Careful. Get carried away and someone might do something that registers of the Henderson scale. tongue.gif And then you'll have a problem. rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Sep 3 2015, 07:41 AM
Post #44

Master
Group Icon

Pffft. I'm not like that GM of the session the Old Man was in; all the suffering you will experience, all the tears you will shed, all the dark despair that will envelope you, all of the sadness and frustration, the hellishness of a place where the sun is silent... all of this will have meaning. And (probably) rewards.

KWA FA HA HA HA HA HA

So! All the spells your characters know.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Sep 3 2015, 07:52 AM
Post #45

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Sep 3 2015, 07:41 AM) *

Pffft. I'm not like that GM of the session the Old Man was in; all the suffering you will experience, all the tears you will shed, all the dark despair that will envelope you, all of the sadness and frustration, the hellishness of a place where the sun is silent... all of this will have meaning. And (probably) rewards.

KWA FA HA HA HA HA HA

Who says you have to deserve it? If you can be crazy, I can be crazy evillol.gif

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Sep 3 2015, 07:41 AM) *

Actually I've got a question on this front. The Command spells are a perfect fit for Sinyon, but in Oblivion they're so ludicrously overpowered it's insane. Think we can work them differently for this? Tone them down a little?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Sep 3 2015, 08:14 AM
Post #46

Master
Group Icon

[quote name='Callidus Thorn' date='Sep 3 2015, 03:52 PM' post='244692']
[quote name='Uleni Athram' post='244691' date='Sep 3 2015, 07:41 AM']

KWA FA HA HA HA HA HA
[/quote]

Who says you have to deserve it? If you can be crazy, I can be crazy evillol.gif[/quote]

Whatever you say, you crazy person tongue.gif

[quote name='Uleni Athram' post='244691' date='Sep 3 2015, 07:41 AM']
[/quote]

Actually I've got a question on this front. The Command spells are a perfect fit for Sinyon, but in Oblivion they're so ludicrously overpowered it's insane. Think we can work them differently for this? Tone them down a little?
[/quote]
That's actually a good question. Gameplay-wise, using the Command would make an utter and complete servant out of the affected target and that's simply OP,, particularly in an RP as you said. So. Here's my suggestion. In the final quest of Skyrim's Thieves Guild, I distinctly remember Mercer Frey using a powerful Command spell on Brynjolf, causing him to attack Karliah. Long story short, his body obeyed the effects of the spell but his mind was still his own and he was able to talk.

Why don't we make Sinyon's Command spells like that? His affected targets would obey his commands but they would still be in control of their own and be able to tell their companions that they're being controlled.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Sep 3 2015, 09:26 AM
Post #47

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Sep 3 2015, 08:14 AM) *

That's actually a good question. Gameplay-wise, using the Command would make an utter and complete servant out of the affected target and that's simply OP,, particularly in an RP as you said. So. Here's my suggestion. In the final quest of Skyrim's Thieves Guild, I distinctly remember Mercer Frey using a powerful Command spell on Brynjolf, causing him to attack Karliah. Long story short, his body obeyed the effects of the spell but his mind was still his own and he was able to talk.

Why don't we make Sinyon's Command spells like that? His affected targets would obey his commands but they would still be in control of their own and be able to tell their companions that they're being controlled.

That Skyrim example sounds like Bethesda sacrificing the integrity of their universe for the sake of gameplay and drama. Taking a look at the Oblivion manual, it has a great one line description of Illusion: "Illusion affects the perception and mind of living subjects." Turning someone into a marionette while leaving them completely aware of it doesn't really fit the concept of affecting mind and perceptions. And when you think about it, controlling someone like that would take a colossal amount of concentration.

I always figured that Command spells worked by affecting the target's sight and hearing, switching friend and foe in their perceptions, thus tricking them into attacking the wrong targets, possibly while having the caster's voice in their head.

So stupid and weak willed characters would fall for it, but anyone/thing that isn't is just sort of locked out. They can't tell who anyone is, hear what's going on properly, or think straight. They could defend themselves if attacked, albeit it badly, but otherwise they're out of the fight until the effect wears off. They either sort of freeze or just panic and run away.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Sep 3 2015, 10:50 AM
Post #48

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Sep 3 2015, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Sep 3 2015, 08:14 AM) *

That Skyrim example sounds like Bethesda sacrificing the integrity of their universe for the sake of gameplay and drama. Taking a look at the Oblivion manual, it has a great one line description of Illusion: "Illusion affects the perception and mind of living subjects." Turning someone into a marionette while leaving them completely aware of it doesn't really fit the concept of affecting mind and perceptions. And when you think about it, controlling someone like that would take a colossal amount of concentration.

I always figured that Command spells worked by affecting the target's sight and hearing, switching friend and foe in their perceptions, thus tricking them into attacking the wrong targets, possibly while having the caster's voice in their head.

So stupid and weak willed characters would fall for it, but anyone/thing that isn't is just sort of locked out. They can't tell who anyone is, hear what's going on properly, or think straight. They could defend themselves if attacked, albeit it badly, but otherwise they're out of the fight until the effect wears off. They either sort of freeze or just panic and run away.

Massive reaching in order to bitch about Skyrim aside, if you're looking for something that's not too OP then might I suggest something that works like Charm Person from Pathfinder? It won't open them up to being completely dominated by you, but makes them very friendly towards you and highly suggestible.
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Sep 3 2015, 11:26 AM
Post #49

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Sep 3 2015, 10:50 AM) *

Massive reaching in order to bitch about Skyrim aside, if you're looking for something that's not too OP then might I suggest something that works like Charm Person from Pathfinder? It won't open them up to being completely dominated by you, but makes them very friendly towards you and highly suggestible.

1)I comment on an example, you say I'm bitching about the game it's from. Now that's massive reaching.

2)Doesn't really leave any combat application. And since we already have charm spells it's pretty redundant.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Sep 3 2015, 12:26 PM
Post #50

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Sep 3 2015, 11:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Sep 3 2015, 10:50 AM) *

1)I comment on an example, you say I'm bitching about the game it's from. Now that's massive reaching.

2)Doesn't really leave any combat application. And since we already have charm spells it's pretty redundant.

You know what, I came off as unnecessarily confrontational on the Skyrim comment, and for that I apologise. However, you do seem to take every opportunity that presents itself to talk about how you dislike the game. You are welcome to your opinion on Skyrim, but at this point I'm fairly sure everyone is aware of your opinions on it, and having a known opinion be declared repeatedly is both unnecessary and rather tedious. Could you perhaps scale it back a bit?

On point two, the combat applications are there; in Morrowind/Oblivion terms, think of it as a temporary Disposition boost. The character will no longer attack you as they think you're their best friend, and in the middle of a fight will be suddenly confused and disorientated about why you, their great pal they'd do almost anything for, are fighting with their companions. At the least, that temporarily disables them as a combatant as they're trying their way around the spell, but ideally it sets them up to being incredibly vulnerable to being stabbed in the neck. It's not super-powerful, but it has its applications.
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Sep 3 2015, 01:38 PM
Post #51

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Sep 3 2015, 12:26 PM) *

You know what, I came off as unnecessarily confrontational on the Skyrim comment, and for that I apologise. However, you do seem to take every opportunity that presents itself to talk about how you dislike the game. You are welcome to your opinion on Skyrim, but at this point I'm fairly sure everyone is aware of your opinions on it, and having a known opinion be declared repeatedly is both unnecessary and rather tedious. Could you perhaps scale it back a bit?

I can't actually recall the last time I "declared" my opinion on Skyrim.

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Sep 3 2015, 12:26 PM) *

On point two, the combat applications are there; in Morrowind/Oblivion terms, think of it as a temporary Disposition boost. The character will no longer attack you as they think you're their best friend, and in the middle of a fight will be suddenly confused and disorientated about why you, their great pal they'd do almost anything for, are fighting with their companions. At the least, that temporarily disables them as a combatant as they're trying their way around the spell, but ideally it sets them up to being incredibly vulnerable to being stabbed in the neck. It's not super-powerful, but it has its applications.

But charm spells already function exactly as you've described. According to the UESPWiki a sufficiently powerful one will stop an enemy attacking temporarily, so it's completely redundant.

Perhaps we could change Command so that it works as it does in the game(without its feature of making enemies fight to the death whenever it's used), but leaves Sinyon unable to cast any other spells while its active?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Sep 3 2015, 01:46 PM
Post #52

Master
Group Icon

Why don't we make it like this? Command Spell magnitude = Caster's Willpower vs Target's Willpower? Kinda like the Ring of Sauron, for lack of a better example.

Mindless animals, beasts, creatures and people of very weak persuasion will be completely consumed by the Command, yeah.

Those who are of average Willpower (average enemies) will suffer the effects you guys said; they can't think straight, they are confused because their 'Bestest Friend' (the caster) is having a duel to the death with their companions, and generally they would be temporarily disabled as a combatant in the middle of the fight.

And those who have logically high willpower (high level enemies) would simply be disturbed, a Mage just tried to impose their will on them after all, but would mostly be unaffected.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Sep 3 2015, 02:42 PM
Post #53

Councilor
Group Icon

Eh, I still think that the confusion should be caused by altered perception rather than disposition, just because the Charm spell only alters disposition and can have that exact effect.

But apart from that, sounds like a plan. I'll get to work on Sinyon's spell list.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Sep 3 2015, 10:33 PM
Post #54

Ancient
Group Icon

When I use Illusion, it's always had people see enemies or something that would make them panic and attack. Mind control is pretty dark

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Sep 4 2015, 04:32 PM
Post #55

Councilor
Group Icon

Right, Sinyon's character sheet now contains his spell list, as requested.

And it appears to be Rohrrim's turn now.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Sep 4 2015, 10:28 PM
Post #56

Mouth
Group Icon

Might need to post tomorrow. School has kicked my arse.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Sep 5 2015, 02:31 PM
Post #57

Master
Group Icon

I will take this as a chance to clean some things in the RP, as well as create a "Codex Thread" for our perusal. The main gist of it is that it would be an information thread of sorts that will allow us to keep track of what is going on, as well as entries of the RP's more important NPCs, places, events, backstories etc. It would also include a Bestiary. More details on how this Codex would work will be included in its Thread once I make it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Sep 7 2015, 06:18 AM
Post #58

Master
Group Icon

Alright, little announcement my fellow Corpses under Sutch. Liz has been laid out by a minor case of bad allergies; minor, but she doesn't have the energy to do this right now. So until she returns to us I, your most humble and benevolent GM, will take temporary control of her characters.

Until she comes back the Posting Order will be thus;

Uleni - Colonel Mustard - Rohirrim - Callidus Thorn

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Sep 8 2015, 10:48 AM
Post #59

Councilor
Group Icon

So you've now got some redheaded twins to play with?

Lucky you laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Sep 11 2015, 11:15 AM
Post #60

Master
Group Icon

It's harder than you think lol

So guys, you still up for this or do we want to take a little break?

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:55 AM