7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Last Heir, FanFic
Agent Griff
post Oct 22 2007, 07:23 PM
Post #41

Knower
Group Icon

I've read this quite a while ago but forgot to comment. I must say I liked the idea to use the Champion of Cyrodiil as political back-up. I also liked how you evaded the issue of the Champion's identity and of his facial features. Using the mask and the raspy breathing also reminded me a little of Darth Vader or, in a smaller measure, of King Baldwin from Kingdom of Heaven. All in all a solid update as usual. I now eagerly expect to see how the speech goes. I have high hopes for Lukas to become a good and earnest ruler.

Btw, did you know that king Mithridates of Pontus ruled from the age of 15? The same age as Lukas if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps you should check out his story, it might give you a few ideas. Anyway, good luck!

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Oct 23 2007, 02:55 AM
Post #42

Knower
Group Icon

I will certainly check that out Griff. Thanks for the comments, I should have my next update sometime Wednsday...

I can't spell Wednsday....

--------------------
*Hey everyone, TES Fiction is looking to revamp its very talented group of writers. So, if you love to write (TES or non-TES), come on over! Whether its stories, poems, song lyrics, etc, it doesn't matter!*
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Oct 27 2007, 03:56 AM
Post #43

Knower
Group Icon

Sorry for the delay, but unfortunately school has to come first!

CHAPTER FIVE

Jauffre and I spent the next hour or so deciding on what exactly I should say to the people. This was a most delicate subject because it was key for us to gain the popularity of the people, and if we get them on our side things will be much easier from there on out.

For a second I thought about letting Jauffre speak for me, but he quickly shoved the idea out of the way, claiming that it would show fear. “Lukas, you have to speak this time. You have to show the people that they really can trust you.”

“Well then what am I supposed to do if I get up there and they start yelling? What do I do then?”

“That is why the Champion will speak first. You will start your speech after the Champion has a few words himself. He’ll be able to bring their spirits up and that’s when you’ll come and stand right next to him when you speak.”

“So are we going to wait here inside while the Champion makes his own little speech first?”

“That is exactly what we will do. Whatever happens it doesn’t matter, remember that Lukas. You will still be in charge, but let me repeat myself one more time…you really need the people’s trust. I promise it will make things easier for you.”

After that the door opened and in stepped the Champion, who looked rested up after his short nap. “Are we ready yet Jauffre? I am whenever you two are…”

“Yes, Lukas and I will wait here while you make your entrance. When shall we know when you are finished?”

“I will say….let me think….when I say ‘our future leader is in dire need of our all of our assistance’ you two can come out. I know that doesn’t sound very strong, but trust me, you want the people to be sympathetic as well as supportive.”

The Champion left the room and exited the palace. While the doors were opened I peered out into the crowd. There were hundreds of people everywhere, all crowded together to see me. Of course they didn’t exactly know who they were waiting for, but it was still a good feeling knowing that I was so important. Though I couldn’t let it get to my head. I had to stay firm and have an open mind. I couldn’t let all this new popularity clog my brain up. But of course I guess I couldn’t really call myself popular just yet…

Cheers roared into the skies at the appearance of the Champion. Jauffre and I stood close to the doors from the inside, so that we could still hear what was going on outside. It must’ve been at least five minutes before the noise died down and the Champion finally began his speech.

“I come to you today not for my own sake of attention, but instead for a dream of a future Empire, one that is free from politics and favoritism…”

The crowd died down to hear what the Champion had to say. Though his voice was still raspy, he still echoed throughout the entire area, even soaking through the doors where Jauffre and I could plainly hear him. He was a great speaker indeed.

“But who will lead us through this dark time? The Elder Council wishes against what is best for the Empire, for they would rather run everything themselves. Their thirst for power has gone long enough and now the time comes for a new ruler, but of the same bloodline as before.”

At the last sentence the crowd began to get loud again. The queasy feeling was returning because I knew it was only a matter of seconds until I would be called to the stage, to face the hundreds of citizens and the soldiers. All eyes would be set solely on me and me alone. My hands were shaking. My face was drenched with sweat. It was time for judgment.

“Join me and help our new leader take the throne and lead us back into our former glory. Our future leader is in dire need of our all of our assistance.”

Jauffre opened the door and both of us stepped out into the cold evening, surrounded by hundreds of cheering citizens. Their eyes were full of joy and happiness. It had seemed as if I had already won their allegiance, but I was terribly wrong.

“Jauffre, our Emperor!”

Those cheers came from the mouths of the citizens who thought he, Jauffre, was the emperor. I immediately knew it was not me they were cheering for. They had no clue that it was I would lead them, not Jauffre.

The Champion quickly calmed the crowd down and he had a difficult time of doing so. The crowd was very energetic and it took nearly ten minutes to get them silent.

“Here is your new leader, Lukas Septim!”

Jauffre pushed up to where the Champion was standing, and then he took his place back beside me. The Champion put his arm around and I didn’t know what to do.

I could clearly hear the soldiers’ quiet snickering through the dead silent crowd. The people looked at me and then back at Baurus as if he were joking.

“What is this, some kind of joke?” yelled a confused Dunmer.

“Joke? This is not prank; you are looking at the future leader of the Empire!”

Suddenly the place filled with loud whispers and pointing figures, all aimed towards my shaking body. I had never been so nervous in my life.

“Quiet, quiet!”

“Let the Emperor speak!”

Jauffre’s and the Champion’s pleas were of no use. The people had already made their views and it seemed as if I had no chance of gaining their respect. Maybe all of this was a mistake…

“You’ve got to speak before things get out of control. Hurry and say something before the crowd gets too agitated!” screamed Jauffre over the loud angry crowd.

I didn’t know what to do but Jauffre still pushed me up to the front, where I began shaking even wilder than before. I looked out into the crowd and saw not one happy expression on a single face. I was a sitting target up in front of all these people. They didn’t want to listen to what a little boy had to say.

Just as I was about to speak I could sense something running towards me from the side. I turned to my right and saw a drunken Nord running towards me furiously. Rather than run away I stood there, frozen in time, unable to make a move. The bulky body was gaining ground on me and in only a matter of seconds he would crush me into a hundred pieces.

Then, to my left a body rushed by and I saw the Champion unsheathe a long silver blade from its holder. The blade was swung upwards swiftly and suddenly the Nord threat was over as he body fell limp to the cold stone floor, with blood pouring from a wound to the right side of his stomach.

Immediately an uproar came from the crowd and people started yelling and getting closer to where I was standing. That’s when the soldiers finally stepped in. They all hustled in front of me and blocked me from any further attacks. Boos towards the Champion were heard loudest and right then I knew the speech was a total failure, but then again I really can’t call it a speech since I never said a word.

Then I was twisted around from behind and their stood a man dressed as an Imperial palace guard, but something was different about this coat of arms. The man looked to be an officer of some sort.

“You three come with me before anything else happens. We have to get the Emperor out of here before someone tries to attack Lukas again,” the man said to Jauffre.

So the Champion, Jauffre and I followed the man into the palace while the other soldiers did their best to quiet down the people of the Imperial City. I wasn’t very lucky when it came to first impressions…

Inside the palace we went to the room with all the chairs lined up around the humongous table. The doors were closed and it was only Jauffre, the Champion and I alone, along with the man in shiny armor.

“Well that didn’t go very well now did it? Obviously the people aren’t going to look at this situation in a positive way, but you’ll have to be patient. We’ll have to hope to win their hearts slowly I suppose,” the man said.

Then he looked at me and smiled, and outstretched his hand towards mine. “My name is Hieronymus Lex. What we need to do now is have an emergency meeting with all of the Imperial City officers. I don’t mean to sound bossy but it would definitely be in your best interest to meet with your own captains.”

The idea was both smart and greatly appreciated. I didn’t mind any help at all, especially coming from an apparent experienced officer such as himself.

“Yes, that is a good idea. We shall hold a meeting tonight with all of the officers at nine o’clock,” I said defiantly, trying my best to sound like a leader.

Jauffre looked at me surprisingly. “Yes, I agree with both of you. Hieronymus, gather up the officers and bring them here. Lukas must talk with the officers and explain the situation. Then we’ll go from there.”

Captain Lex left the room, leaving only Jauffre and I, plus the Champion who had yet to say a word. I turned around and saw him breathing hard and clutching his chest.

“Are you okay?” I asked him.

“I’m fine, I just need to rest. I’m really not in shape to be doing what I did out there. This disease is crippling me beyond what I original thought it would. I’m sorry sir but I need to rest. If you need any help you know where I’ll be,” the Champion said as he left the room.

Before he left I gave him my thanks for saving my life. “Thanks for saving me out there. I would have been a goner if it wasn’t for you.”

He simply smiled and patted me on the shoulder…

At nine o’clock all of the officers were in the large room, sitting in their chairs, anxiously waiting for my arrival. I had retired to my own chambers beforehand, that Jauffre showed me. The room was absolutely luxurious, far more than anything I had ever seen. But unfortunately I had no clothing to fit me yet, so Jauffre had sent a maid to a nearby shop to get me something that would fit. I was surprised the shop owners were still in business for the day, given the riot that had recently occurred.

When I walked through the door the room fell silent as the officers were ready to hear what I had to say. But before I could say anything Lex offered a pledge of allegiance from everyone.

“We are all here to serve you my lord. All of us are on your side, and we are positive the solders will be as well. I’ve heard that several laughed at you earlier, and trust me, they were reprimanded for their acts,” Lex said as he shook my hand again.

“You didn’t have to do that, I’d be surprised too if a young boy was claming to be the Emperor of grown men,” I replied.

“That matters not sir, your soldiers are to respect you no matter what. I assure you it will not happen again.”

We all sat down and Jauffre introduced me to the three officers. I had at first wondered if perhaps all of them were not present, but then Lex explained that since the war ended some unfortunate events have taken place within the ranks.

“We had one corrupt officer and obviously he was dismissed, banished from the Empire. Who knows where he is now. We also had another officer retire, and from what I heard he was assassinated somewhere in the south. We have not had a lot of time to hire two new officers, but now that job falls to you my lord,” Lex said.

Then a tan Breton officer dressed in regular Legion armor stood up and came over to shake my hand once more. “Hello my lord, my name is Gepard Montrose. I am head of the prison guard and you have my absolute allegiance. I’d like to tell you that right now the prisons aren’t as full as I’d like. This isn’t to say that I wish them to be full, but they should. Crime is steadily rising in the city, something you’ll definitely want to look into once you have time.”

“Yes, I will look at that once I have settled in. Thank you Gepard.”

Next was an Imperial man who was dressed in the same garb as Lex. But unlike Gepard, this man sat idly in his seat and almost had a sense of defiance in his tone. “My name is Itius Hayn, second-in-command of the Imperial Legion, next to Lex of course”.

I could have sworn there was a hint of jealousy in his voice as well.

“I’m happy to see the Septim bloodline continue, and I hope you will be able to get off on the right foot. As you have already seen, things won’t be easy at first, but like Lex already said, where are under your command and are here to serve you in any way possible.”

After that it was my turn to speak. And as I took a deep breath I hoped that, unlike my other two first impressions, this one would prove more successful.

“First off, I want to thank you for support, which makes things a lot easier. I understand that the relationship between an Emperor and his men are incredibly important, and I will do my absolute best to keep that connection intact. I now know that I am commanding a great group of leaders, and this skill will drip down do the Legion soldiers all the way down to the common prison guard. Our military has taken a hit thanks to the war, but I swear to you now that will change. A military is the backbone of any country, and I aim to continue that theory.”

“Very well sir, but I would like to know how you plan on accomplishing that task. Not many people want anything to with the Imperial Legion right now. The other cities see us as weak,” Itius said.

“I realize this Itius. That is why Jauffre, Lex and I shall travel to the other cities in order to meet with the Counts and Countesses personally.” I quickly stole a look from Jauffre and again he had that same proud look about him. “I will leave within the next couple of days; for I fear civil war will result if I do not take action quick.”

“I like that idea sir. Who would you like to take control of the city while we are gone?” Lex asked.

“On second thought, forget what I said. Lex, I would like you to stay here and run things.”

I did this on purpose to see Itius’s reaction, and just as I thought his face went red when I told Lex he would remain in the city. Itius struck me as a jealous officer, and I would have to watch him closely.

“I will travel with Baurus and Jauffre alone. There is no need for anyone else. Now that I think about it, has anyone seen Baurus?”

“Sir, the last I heard he was seen drinking at the Foaming Flask,” said Gepard.

I looked over and saw Jauffre roll his eyes and breathe loudly. “I’ll go speak with him tonight and get him back on track. He’s young, I realize that, but that’s still no excuse for what he did earlier.”

“Very well, that will be it. I want to thank you all for your time and I promise when things get going I will meet with you once more to discuss matters more extensively. For now I would like to rest for the night.”

The officers left the room and Jauffre applauded me for my actions. “That was very impressive Lukas. I’m glad to see you are taking this seriously. Your tone of voice was confident and I really think the officers believe in you. You’re coming together Lukas, I sense great change in the future.”

“Thanks Jauffre, I just hope it’s for the better…”

--------------------
*Hey everyone, TES Fiction is looking to revamp its very talented group of writers. So, if you love to write (TES or non-TES), come on over! Whether its stories, poems, song lyrics, etc, it doesn't matter!*
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Oct 27 2007, 06:47 AM
Post #44

Master
Group Icon

Nice to see Lukas recover nicely after the public debacle. I guess the people just don't like kids in general... (think about it, Bethesda doesn't have any children in their games!).

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post Oct 27 2007, 07:04 AM
Post #45

Master
Group Icon

Not in Fallout? (never played any of the series, but I've heard promising things from Beth about the new one, also they'll make the next installment in the ES series after this version of Fallout).
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Oct 27 2007, 10:00 AM
Post #46

Knower
Group Icon

Rivetting update! Now that I look more carefully, I can see some traces of V in the Champion. Just like the Champion, V always wears a mask and his true identity is hidden, being more of an idea than an actual person. I just watched V for Vendetta last night and I must say that it was a brilliant movie, one of the best ones I've seen lately. Hugo Weaving's acting was simply wonderful, he really gave V a lot of character despite wearing a mask for most of the film. Anyway, back to your fic.

I liked how the speech progressed. Something that starts bad is bound to end up even worse. I also found Lukas' plan intelligent, seeing the Counts to get their support and all. Something I reccomend is for you to watch Rome, if you have HBO or BBC. It really is a brilliant series which portrays politics and day-to-day Roman life in the most realistic way possible. Recently in the series, Octavian has come to power. Much like Lukas, he is regarded as a child by most, a mere 18 years old. Yet he has quite some skill in the political arena and the actor playing him gives him a certain sense of power, both in the way he acts and in his words. An excellent source of inspiration I might say.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Oct 27 2007, 03:08 PM
Post #47

Knower
Group Icon

This story has actually gotten better reviews that I had originally anticipated. I want to thank everyone who is following this story; it really means a lot to me. I would give you a timeline for my next update, but whenever I do it never gets done....

--------------------
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Oct 27 2007, 05:09 PM
Post #48

Master
Group Icon

That could have gone better. Maybe next speech should be given from on top of a balcony. It would be safer for one.

Oh, and keep an eye on the jealous dude. He could be trouble.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Oct 27 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #49

Knower
Group Icon

I'm really happy that you are really getting into the characters. You are depicting them exactly how I wanted you all to...

--------------------
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Oct 27 2007, 08:03 PM
Post #50

Knower
Group Icon

CHAPTER SIX

I walked back to my room and said my goodnights to Jauffre, who told me that he would sleep at Cloud Ruler Temple. Though I haven’t been to the fort just yet, both Jauffre and Baurus told me of how grand the place was, and of all the history it holds.

That night, as I lay down in my most comfortable bed, I thought about the upcoming days and what they would hold for my future. I wasn’t too sure what would happen to tell you the truth. With the people’s anger towards me so high I wasn’t too certain whether I should walk the streets or not. I mean sure, it would show courage and bravery, but would it also show an interest to die? I couldn’t exactly trust my people just yet, for they do not trust me either.

Another thing that worried me was Baurus. Perhaps there was a history of bad blood between him and Jauffre. If that’s the case I was never made aware of it, and of course with my luck that will be exactly the problem. Baurus claims Jauffre is too bossy, but I never see it that way. Maybe things were different when I wasn’t around. Or maybe Baurus is simply jealous of Jauffre’s rank. It doesn’t really matter I guess; only that Baurus grows up and stops acting like a child. That sounds a little strange coming from me, a child myself, but it’s the truth. We can’t have the only Blades officers bickering back and forth.

The next morning I woke up at around eight o’clock in the morning, and I would’ve slept in longer if it wasn’t a loud banging coming from outside my door. I sat up in my bed and rubbed the side of my neck, which was aching a bit from sleeping on it awkwardly. I hated it when that happened. Quickly I slipped on some shoes and then answered the door and there was Jauffre, with Baurus right behind him.

“It’s time for you to get out of bed sir; there are many things to take care of. You have a long day ahead of you,” Jauffre said with again a motherly tone.

“I’m aware of that Jauffre, thanks for waking me up. Good morning Baurus, I’m glad to see you’ve rejoined us.”

I had expected an apology but instead he merely shrugged his shoulders a bit and nodded. There was still anger within him; that much was for sure. I just hoped it wouldn’t carry out into something larger.

“After you get dressed we’ll let Lex know that we will leave soon,” Jauffre said.

Before Jauffre could continue I quickly cut him off. “I never said when I want to leave Jauffre. Don’t you think there are matters that need attending to here in this city first?”

“Yes, obviously, but you need to talk with other rulers outside of the Imperial City. Things have been going on since the end of the war. Border control, talks of city expansions. If you don’t act soon civil war will come upon Cyrodiil. Even if you do talk with the rulers I’m not even sure if it will help,” he said.

“Very well, perhaps you are right. But who should we speak with first?”

“The southern cities of Bravil and Leyawiin have been tangling verbally back and forth for some time. It would be best if we speak with those two cities first before a small war breaks out. For right now the cities are still under our control, but I fear the worst will happen if something isn’t done.”

“Then Bravil and Leyawiin it shall be. Which city is closer, I’m afraid I have no intelligence of my country’s geography at the moment.”

“Bravil is closest my lord,” Jauffre said.

Baurus then handed me a worn out map. “Here, take this map of mine. It might be bit old but I assure you it has everything you need to learn about your country. You see the symbols in the bottom right corner? That lets you know about rivers, mountains, everything. You should study the map when you have time.”
Before we left the city Lex was informed of our departure, and he seemed happy to take over command of the city. We didn’t speak with Itius; though I’m sure he loathed the idea him not being commander of the Legion. I didn’t really even know him that much, but there was still something about him. Hopefully I was just overreacting.

The three of us entered a carriage, the same one he used to arrive at the city, with the same Dunmer steering.

“Now you’ll have to remember Lukas, The Count of Bravil may have a temper with you, and if that is so you will have to remain calm. Regulus Terentius was always a stuck up man. I have a feeling this will not go as smoothly as we want it to,” Jauffre said once we were settled inside and on our way.

“Well just think about it; has anything gone smooth just yet?” I asked with a smile.

“Other than the officers, no, nothing has gone the way we want it to. Perhaps we should from now on expect the worst heh?”

Suddenly my thoughts turned towards the Champion, who I had forgotten all about. “What about the Champion Jauffre? Did he know we left? I forgot to tell him we were leaving.”

“Calm down sir, there is no need to fret, I told him of your absence right before I came to wake you up. I don’t think he’ll be up and going anytime soon anyhow. Killing that Nord really took a lot out of him I’m afraid.”

“Is it the disease he has?” I asked.

“Yes, I’m afraid so. The condition is eating away at his very existence. I didn’t want to tell you Lukas but I really don’t think he’ll last much longer. Though he doesn’t that old on the outside his body is dying from the inside more and more each day.”

I didn’t know what to say so I didn’t say anything. I wasn’t sure if Jauffre and the Champion were close friends so I figured staying silent was the best thing to do. I didn’t want to offend or anger Jauffre in any way.

“But you can’t worry about that Lukas; you must push the thought of him out of your mind. He would want that,” said Baurus.

Baurus was right but I still believed that his presence helped us. “Jauffre said he was a huge influence to the people. If he was to pass away wouldn’t that further severe our connection with the people?”

“Jauffre was once right in that theory, but not anymore. Not after what the Champion did to that Nord. Even if he was going to kill you the Nord was a citizen either way. The people saw the act as one against all of them. Whether we want to believe it or not, the Champion just might have worsened our chances of getting the people on our side,” Baurus said grimly.

It appeared that Jauffre totally disagreed with the statement. “How can you even begin to say that? After all he did for us? The last thing the people would do is be angry with him. He saved their lives!”

“I understand that Jauffre, but did you see the way everyone reacted to his actions yesterday. Of course he had no other option, but the fact of the matter is that the people are no longer supportive of him. He saved Lukas, the boy everyone seems to despise at the moment. It was a loss-loss situation, and unfortunately the Champion had to take the fall.”

Jauffre still didn’t agree with Baurus, but thankfully the two ceased their arguments.

“Another thing Lukas, the people and atmosphere of Bravil will be nothing like the Imperial City,” Baurus said with a bit of a laugh, as if attempting to lighten the mood. “The people are dirty and dishonest, and that’s nothing compared to the local government. While Regulus is the Count, the real rulers of the city are crime lords and drug lords. In fact, the city guard is said to have allied themselves with the drug lords in exchange for skooma, but nothing has been proven just yet.”

“Not to mention the smell as well. It’s far worse than Anvil even,” Jauffre said. “To tell you the truth Lukas, we will most likely not succeed in swaying Regulus to our side. He is a drunken fool. There is great danger in traveling to this city.”

“But it is a necessary danger Jauffre. I must speak with all of the rulers no matter what,” I said.

Not too much later we arrived at the city, and I immediately understood what Jauffre and Baurus were talking about. All of the buildings were run-down, and I could’ve sworn the guards were just as drunk as the people. It was a pitiful sight indeed.

“We are here to meet with the Count Regulus Terentius please,” said Jauffre to a guard who was standing outside the castle of Bravil.

“Go inside and talk with the Khajiit. She’ll be able to tell ya’ if the Count is busy or not,” the soldier said snobbishly.

Inside we went and sure enough a Khajiit was sitting at a nearby table, looking over some kind of document.

“Excuse me, but we are here to speak with the Count,” Jauffre said.

“And just might who you three be? I’m sorry, but if you do not have an appointment I will have to turn you away,” the Khajiit said. Her tone was just as snobby as the guards, if not more.

“My name is Jauffre, Grandmaster of the Blades. The boy is Lukas Septim, the Emperor of Cyrodiil.” Jauffre was getting snippy back, and it appeared the Khajiit didn’t like it a bit.

“So you are the boy who claims to be the Emperor? The Count wants nothing to do with you, for he is much to busy to talk with a child like yourself.”

“I’ll have you know that this boy will speak to Regulus Terentius whether the Cont likes it or not. And if there are any more problems with that I’ll personally take care of them myself,” Baurus said face to face with the Khajiit. She stared into his eyes for a few seconds before finally giving in.

She got up and showed us to the Counts room, which the door was closed and locked. She knocked on the door three times and a voice was heard from the inside.

“What is it out there? How many times have I told you not to bother me when my door is closed?”

“I am sorry sir but Emperor Lukas Septim is here to speak with you,” the Khajiit said.

Silence was the only thing to be heard for the next few seconds, until at last the door was unbarred and I was then looking at the face of Regulus Terentius.

“And what in the world are you doing here in my city?” He growled at me, with his putrid beer-breath smacking me in the nostrils.

“I’ve come to discuss matters with you Regulus Terentius. Changes are to be made and we have things that need to be talked about,” I said.

“And what if I turn you away from my city boy?”

“You don’t have an option. I am the Emperor and you will do as I say.”

He glared into my eyes for some time. His hatred towards me was certain. I was sure he wanted nothing more than to strike me down where I stood, but if course that would only land him with two blades to the chest. He was at least smart enough to realize that.

“Step inside; I will speak to you only for a small time. I have important things to take care of you know,” he said grumpily.

After the door was closed and the Khajiit had gone back to her reading I immediately began pounding the Count with words.

“I am aware that your county of Bravil is in verbal conflict with Leyawiin, am I correct?”

“Leyawiin violated our terms of agreement by bringing a group of their soldiers past the border point between our two cities. By violating that pact they have already buried their grave. I have no other choice but to exterminate them. I will not lie to you, Emperor, that is what I plan to do, and I really don’t care if you like it or not.”

“First of all Regulus, you do not have the power to create such a pact. You are not the ruler of this country, I am. And what does the Count of Leyawiin think of this pact you have so created?” I asked Regulus.

“He is as ignorant as you are. He refuses to listen to my orders, and he will pay for his actions. No one, not anyone, will defy me, I guarantee you that.”

“You will not attack Leyawiin Regulus. It doesn’t matter what you think, there is now an Emperor at the throne and I will not let you split the country apart. Either you will listen to me and cease your army’s advance, or my army will stop you by force.”

“Are you threatening me?”

He then got up from his chair and stood mere inches from my face. I could sense Baurus move closer to his blade’s holder, but I had no intentions of backing down.

“If that is how you feel, so be it. I am telling you now to stop what you are doing. You know you don’t want a war with my army. It will only spell the end of your reign as Count. I am not trying to topple you from your rank, I only wish for peace.”

“Fine, have it your way! I will send word for my troops to return to the city. But mark my words, if Leyawiin crosses my border once more with its soldiers I will take action, no matter what you say”

“I thank you for your good judgment Regulus. It is important that we all agree with what goes on in this country. I assure to you that I will speak with the Count of Leyawiin, and I will make it clear that he shall not extend his army past the borders.”

I extended my hand towards Regulus, and at first I thought he might ignore me. But at last he shook my hand and gave me the most sinister smile I had ever seen. I wasn’t done with him. Not even close…

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Oct 27 2007, 11:22 PM
Post #51

Master
Group Icon

Glad to see that Lukas is starting to get past intimidation tactics that others try to oppose upon him. Way to grow a backbone!

Hmm, now how will the reaction in Leyawiin go? As far as I remember, that place is even more decrepit than Bravil.

--------------------

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post Oct 28 2007, 12:50 AM
Post #52

Master
Group Icon

The count of Leyawiin takes the advice of his wife, the daughter of Arrianna Valga, Countess of Chorrol. Leyawiin might not be the most sophisticated city, but the Countess knows all about politics, and she's a complete supporter of adventurers who rid the land of thieves and general evil-doers.

If anything, I would imagine she'd be one of the leaders willing to hold to help the Empire come back to power (by extension the count will be as well).

This post has been edited by Lord Revan: Oct 28 2007, 12:51 AM
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Oct 28 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #53

Knower
Group Icon

[/u]
“Well if you ask me, that didn’t go as bad as I thought it would. But then again that’s probably only because he wasn’t drunk just yet. I bet he’s having a drink with his fool of a son right now,” said Baurus.

“Either way we left as the victors, for once,” Jauffre said, “but we still have business to take care of in Leyawiin. I assure you Lukas that this conflict isn’t over just yet. We still have to deal with Alessia Caro.”

“Wait Jauffre, isn’t that Marius’s wife? Shouldn’t I be more worried about him?”

Baurus and Jauffre both took a moment to laugh for a few seconds. Apparently something I said was hilarious.

“One would think so Lukas, but Alessia Caro is pretty much the rule maker in Leyawiin, and that’s actually a good thing.” Baurus said with another chuckle. “She knows a lot about politics, and I know she will appeal to your cause. She is a smart woman indeed.

“She one of the “good-guys”, let’s just say that. Though I am not sure why she brought troops over the border mark. That seems remarkably odd coming from a bright woman such as herself,” Jauffre replied while scratching his balding head.

“Perhaps Marius is finally calling the shots himself?” I offered.

“No, no, that can’t be it. Something must’ve happened to set her off. I wouldn’t be surprised if Regulus did something to upset her,” Jauffre answered back.

It took not over an hour more until we made our final stop south. The city of Leyawiin was much easier on the eyes than its hostile neighbor to the north. Everything about the place was rather pretty, and one would think this would be a perfect place to live, but then you’d realize a majority of the population consisted of Argonians and Khajiits.

Not to sound racist or anything, but the beast races were always known for their thievery and dishonesty, except perhaps for the Orcs. The large presence of Argonians and Khajiits seemed to be the only reason Leyawiin was being held down as being known as a safe place to live.

“Why are all these Argonians and Khajiits here Jauffre? It wasn’t even near this bad at the Imperial City, or even at Bravil.”

“The province of Black Marsh is just to the right, across the border. That is the homeland of the Argonians, and many have migrated here for a safer home, not that I can blame them. And then, to the left just past The Lower Niben River, lies Elsweyr, home of the Khajiit, who migrated to Leyawiin for the same reason.”

“But my mother used to tell me stories and some of those proposed that Khajiits and Argonians don’t get along. Is that true? If so, how in the world can they stand living amongst one another?”

“Your mother is right Lukas; the two races despise each other, but believe me, they’d much rather have it this way than to live where they did once before. That’s not to say there aren’t any scuffles here and there, but for the most part Leyawiin is a peaceful city.”

“And you have Alessia Caro to thank for that!” Baurus said loudly. “Marius Caro is an idiot. I have no clue how Alessia is attracted to him, but I guess it doesn’t matter what I think,” he said with a laugh.

“Is Marius really that dumb?” I asked.

“It’s not that he’s dumb in its literal sense, he just doesn’t have the integrity of his wife. Don’t get me wrong, she is very intelligent and knows a lot about pretty much everything, but her maiden name certainly helps her out as well,” Baurus replied back.

As we walked amongst the lizards and cats I watched how they acted. Jauffre might have been right in suggesting that the two races got along, but they certainly didn’t seem to like it. If you asked me, I’d say a full-scale war could erupt between the two any given day. But I guess the strong leadership here in the city has kept that from happening.

When we finally got to the castle a guard was standing on each side of the gate, both wielding tall silver spears. Unlike in Bravil, these soldiers actually looked trained and thankfully not one of them appeared to be tipsy.

“I’m sorry sir, but we can’t let you through unless you are scheduled to meet with…wait….aren’t Lukas Septim?” asked one of the guards.

“Yes, I am Lukas Septim, and it is very important that I speak with your rulers.”

The guards immediately bowed down to me. “Yes sir, please step inside and speak with Caelia Draconis. She is the Captain of the Leyawiin Guard and she’ll be able to help you my lord.”

Inside there were several guards standing around two chairs, and those chairs happened to be the thrones of Marius and Alessia Caro, but it was only Alessia who was present, and she was talking to a woman that I took to be Caelia. Neither had seen us enter the castle, for there were many maids and butlers walking about, and the noise was rather loud.

As the three of us walked over to Caelia, she looked up saw me, seemingly knowing who I was. She then whispered something into Alessia’s ear and suddenly the Countess and Count stood up from their thrones.

“Lukas Septim, welcome to my home!” She stepped down from her place and walked over to me to shake my hand. “I’ve been expecting such a visit from you my lord. I assumed that if you to be a great leader; you would personally meet with the other rulers of Cyrodiil. I am glad to see that I was right. Come, follow me to my chambers.”

The four of us left Caelia and the others as we climbed a set of wooden stairs and entered a hallway with beautiful portraits displayed on the wall, most of them being Alessia and her husband.

That’s when I realized Marius wasn’t anywhere to be seen. “Excuse me Alessia, but where is Marius? I would like to talk to him as well.”

A grave look came over her face and right then I knew something happened to Marius.

“I’m afraid my husband was killed yesterday, while hunting in the woods. My men said that they had lost track of him and when they finally caught up they found Marius lying on his stomach with an arrow sticking from back.”

“I’m so sorry. Did you catch the culprit?”

“Yes, a black bow bandit was found wondering about and he is now residing in the town dungeon. He is scheduled for execution tomorrow at noon.”

The strangest thing about all of this was that Alessia didn’t seem too sad about her husband’s death. I expected her to be more saddened by the tragedy, and Jauffre was thinking the same thing apparently.

“I’m sorry your highness, but we can wait to meet with you at a later time. I’m sure you wish to grieve alone right now. It’s terrible what happened to your husband,” Jauffre offered.

“No, that will not be needed. Marius would want me to continue on with what he left off. He would want me to stay strong and that is exactly what I’m going to do.”

The tone of her voice had no sadness at all. It was just so weird. Down the hall we entered a door and we were then inside Alessia’s chambers, which was just as beautiful as I had imagined it would be. Many portraits and plants were displayed throughout the room, and it really was a “lady-like” atmosphere.

“First off, Alessia, I would like you to pull your back your troops from Bravil territory. You and I both know Regulus isn’t a very stable person, and sending your troops across the border doesn’t help,” I said sternly.

“I understand your fear of civil war Lukas, but what Regulus probably forgot to mention to you is that three of his agents were caught wondering through my dungeon area three months ago. What they were looking for I do not know, but I locked the men up and refused to release them. I sent my across the borders because I was given word that another one of his agents had set up camp just passed the border, and was planning to infiltrate my castle at night. I could not let that happen.”

“Very well Alessia, but who gave you the information?”

“That I will not tell you my lord, for I simply cannot give away my sources. It is as simple as that. But you have my word that I will not send troops over the border again. I’ll admit that I might have been a bit hasty in that decision of sending out my soldiers, but the fear of enemy spies got the best of me. I promise it will not happen again, for I am a woman of peace. I do not wish for war.”

“Thank you Alessia, I wish for the same thing as you. We are one country; fighting each other is the last thing we need. Now, are there any specific problems your city has right now?”

“No, my husband and I have done an excellent job of keeping everyone in line, but at the same time we weren’t brutes to the people. I plan to uphold that during my reign as Countess.”

“That you have, and again, I am sorry to see your husband’s passing. If there is anything you need, let me know.”

“Thank you my lord. Before you leave I just want to say that I do believe in you, and other than Regulus, I think the others do as well. Also, it is getting late. Why don’t you take my guest chambers and stay the night? I have rooms for your companions as well.”

After talking with Jauffre and Baurus we decided staying the night was the safest and smartest option. So I was taken to my chambers and Jauffre and Baurus were taken to theirs. When we were all settled in Jauffre and Baurus came back to my room to discuss what happened today.

“You did a good in silencing the conflict between Leyawiin and Bravil, but I fear something more evil is happening,” whispered Jauffre, just loud enough for Baurus and I to hear.

“What do you mean?” I said.

“Her husband’s death just doesn’t add up. I knew the man personally before he was named Count. He was absolutely horrible with a bow and blade, and would never find himself hunting of all things. He was a politician, not a killer. I assure you this story of him dying sounds very fishy to me.”

“What are you saying Jauffre, that Alessia is hiding something from us?” asked Baurus.

“I don’t know, but she’s not telling the truth. I mean she wasn’t even a bit distraught by her husband’s death. Something isn’t right here.”

“Well there isn’t really anything we can do Jauffre,” I said.

“Ah, but there is Lukas. All bodies are put in a small room, beneath the castle, where they are sorted and then decorated for burial. The room is supposed to be a secret, but I found out about it years ago. The process of decoration takes about two days. The body of Marius, if he really is dead, will be down there, and we are going to find it.”

“Are you serious? Sneak down to a place we are not even supposed to know about? This is crazy Jauffre! I can’t believe your even thinking about doing that,” I whispered a little too loud.

“Keep your voice down Lukas. Now listen, I know it sounds insane, but I’ve got a feeling. I can’t explain it but I know I’m right.”

“Alright, even if we were to go down to that room, what do we say when we’re caught sneaking around?”

“We will not get caught Lukas, I assure you that. Actually, I think I should be the only one to go. Baurus doesn’t even know where the room is, and I don’t think we really need three people wandering around anyways.”

“No Jauffre, I will go with you. But I too believe Baurus should stay. Two people is more than enough.”

“So what, do I get shunned away from all the fun?” Asked Baurus, but with humor, not seriousness.

“I’m sorry Baurus, but it just wouldn’t be safe for three of us.”

“I know, I know, I’m just kidding with you. To tell you the truth, it would probably be best that someone stays, just incase something happens to you two.”

“And what do you think is going to happen?” Jauffre asked.

“I don’t know, I’m just saying.”

So we decided that Baurus stay in my room while Jauffre and I sneak down to whatever room we were talking about. I still wasn’t sure if what were doing made sense. I knew it wasn’t right, but what if something really was happening? Then I suppose it was right…

“Shhh…do not talk Lukas, just follow me.”

Jauffre and I were standing next to a couple of beer kegs down in the basement where all the alcohol and food was kept. We had to sneak past only two guards to get down here. I was so nervous, even more edgy than when I had given my “speech” at the Imperial City.

Then Jauffre tapped a small marked spot on the wall, and suddenly it separated. It wasn’t too loud thankfully, meaning that the guards wouldn’t hear us. I followed Jauffre as we stepped through the space and had to duck down as we crawled down the cold passage way, which was pitch dark, other than the torch Jauffre had found.

When we got to the other end there was a door that for some reason was unlocked. Carefully Jauffre opened it and peered inside, where a room was lit by many torches, but was empty of any bodies…living that is.

We stepped inside and sure enough, there were many bodies, just as Jauffre had said there would be. But the strangest thing was that they were all Argonians, Khajiits, and few Dunmer, except for one body, which was covered by a large white towel.

All of the bodies that could be seen were bloody and deformed, with different body parts missing and eye sockets bloodied. It was a terrible seen indeed, and I could no longer keep in my insides. I leaned over to the right and hurled more than I have ever done so in my life. The stench was horrible, nothing like I had ever experienced.

When I was finished Jauffre and I walked over to the covered body and lifted the sheet. Not surprisingly to Jauffre, the lifeless body of Marius Caro lay there, with his eyes still open. But something about them wasn’t right, and Jauffre seemed to have the answer.

“He was poisoned. I can see it in his eyes.”

Then he turned the shirtless body over and there were no marks suggesting that an arrow had penetrated his skin. It was true…Alessia really did lie to us.

“Are you certain he was poisoned Jauffre?”

“Yes, I’m positive. There are other things that suggest he was not killed by an arrow. Look at his skin. Its color is not normal. He was definitely poisoned. ‘Why’ I am not sure, but obviously Alessia has something to do with it. She might not have done it herself, but she definitely played a part in her husband’s death.”

Just as the two of us turned to leave the room a figure at the passageway’s tunnel stood there, watching us. Then it walked out from the shadows and we were face to face the Captain of the Guard, Caelia Draconis. Baurus unsheathed his sword, ready for whatever happened next…

AUTHOR'S NOTE: The room above is not the torture room from the game. It is something that I put into the castle myself. I just wanted to say this so no one gets confused.

--------------------
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Oct 28 2007, 06:57 PM
Post #54

Knower
Group Icon

CHAPTER SEVEN

“Well if you ask me, that didn’t go as bad as I thought it would. But then again that’s probably only because he wasn’t drunk just yet. I bet he’s having a drink with his fool of a son right now,” said Baurus.

“Either way we left as the victors, for once,” Jauffre said, “but we still have business to take care of in Leyawiin. I assure you Lukas that this conflict isn’t over just yet. We still have to deal with Alessia Caro.”

“Wait Jauffre, isn’t that Marius’s wife? Shouldn’t I be more worried about him?”

Baurus and Jauffre both took a moment to laugh for a few seconds. Apparently something I said was hilarious.

“One would think so Lukas, but Alessia Caro is pretty much the rule maker in Leyawiin, and that’s actually a good thing.” Baurus said with another chuckle. “She knows a lot about politics, and I know she will appeal to your cause. She is a smart woman indeed.

“She one of the “good-guys”, let’s just say that. Though I am not sure why she brought troops over the border mark. That seems remarkably odd coming from a bright woman such as herself,” Jauffre replied while scratching his balding head.

“Perhaps Marius is finally calling the shots himself?” I offered.

“No, no, that can’t be it. Something must’ve happened to set her off. I wouldn’t be surprised if Regulus did something to upset her,” Jauffre answered back.

It took not over an hour more until we made our final stop south. The city of Leyawiin was much easier on the eyes than its hostile neighbor to the north. Everything about the place was rather pretty, and one would think this would be a perfect place to live, but then you’d realize a majority of the population consisted of Argonians and Khajiits.

Not to sound racist or anything, but the beast races were always known for their thievery and dishonesty, except perhaps for the Orcs. The large presence of Argonians and Khajiits seemed to be the only reason Leyawiin was being held down as being known as a safe place to live.

“Why are all these Argonians and Khajiits here Jauffre? It wasn’t even near this bad at the Imperial City, or even at Bravil.”

“The province of Black Marsh is just to the right, across the border. That is the homeland of the Argonians, and many have migrated here for a safer home, not that I can blame them. And then, to the left just past The Lower Niben River, lies Elsweyr, home of the Khajiit, who migrated to Leyawiin for the same reason.”

“But my mother used to tell me stories and some of those proposed that Khajiits and Argonians don’t get along. Is that true? If so, how in the world can they stand living amongst one another?”

“Your mother is right Lukas; the two races despise each other, but believe me, they’d much rather have it this way than to live where they did once before. That’s not to say there aren’t any scuffles here and there, but for the most part Leyawiin is a peaceful city.”

“And you have Alessia Caro to thank for that!” Baurus said loudly. “Marius Caro is an idiot. I have no clue how Alessia is attracted to him, but I guess it doesn’t matter what I think,” he said with a laugh.

“Is Marius really that dumb?” I asked.

“It’s not that he’s dumb in its literal sense, he just doesn’t have the integrity of his wife. Don’t get me wrong, she is very intelligent and knows a lot about pretty much everything, but her maiden name certainly helps her out as well,” Baurus replied back.

As we walked amongst the lizards and cats I watched how they acted. Jauffre might have been right in suggesting that the two races got along, but they certainly didn’t seem to like it. If you asked me, I’d say a full-scale war could erupt between the two any given day. But I guess the strong leadership here in the city has kept that from happening.

When we finally got to the castle a guard was standing on each side of the gate, both wielding tall silver spears. Unlike in Bravil, these soldiers actually looked trained and thankfully not one of them appeared to be tipsy.

“I’m sorry sir, but we can’t let you through unless you are scheduled to meet with…wait….aren’t Lukas Septim?” asked one of the guards.

“Yes, I am Lukas Septim, and it is very important that I speak with your rulers.”

The guards immediately bowed down to me. “Yes sir, please step inside and speak with Caelia Draconis. She is the Captain of the Leyawiin Guard and she’ll be able to help you my lord.”

Inside there were several guards standing around two chairs, and those chairs happened to be the thrones of Marius and Alessia Caro, but it was only Alessia who was present, and she was talking to a woman that I took to be Caelia. Neither had seen us enter the castle, for there were many maids and butlers walking about, and the noise was rather loud.

As the three of us walked over to Caelia, she looked up saw me, seemingly knowing who I was. She then whispered something into Alessia’s ear and suddenly the Countess and Count stood up from their thrones.

“Lukas Septim, welcome to my home!” She stepped down from her place and walked over to me to shake my hand. “I’ve been expecting such a visit from you my lord. I assumed that if you to be a great leader; you would personally meet with the other rulers of Cyrodiil. I am glad to see that I was right. Come, follow me to my chambers.”

The four of us left Caelia and the others as we climbed a set of wooden stairs and entered a hallway with beautiful portraits displayed on the wall, most of them being Alessia and her husband.

That’s when I realized Marius wasn’t anywhere to be seen. “Excuse me Alessia, but where is Marius? I would like to talk to him as well.”

A grave look came over her face and right then I knew something happened to Marius.

“I’m afraid my husband was killed yesterday, while hunting in the woods. My men said that they had lost track of him and when they finally caught up they found Marius lying on his stomach with an arrow sticking from back.”

“I’m so sorry. Did you catch the culprit?”

“Yes, a black bow bandit was found wondering about and he is now residing in the town dungeon. He is scheduled for execution tomorrow at noon.”

The strangest thing about all of this was that Alessia didn’t seem too sad about her husband’s death. I expected her to be more saddened by the tragedy, and Jauffre was thinking the same thing apparently.

“I’m sorry your highness, but we can wait to meet with you at a later time. I’m sure you wish to grieve alone right now. It’s terrible what happened to your husband,” Jauffre offered.

“No, that will not be needed. Marius would want me to continue on with what he left off. He would want me to stay strong and that is exactly what I’m going to do.”

The tone of her voice had no sadness at all. It was just so weird. Down the hall we entered a door and we were then inside Alessia’s chambers, which was just as beautiful as I had imagined it would be. Many portraits and plants were displayed throughout the room, and it really was a “lady-like” atmosphere.

“First off, Alessia, I would like you to pull your back your troops from Bravil territory. You and I both know Regulus isn’t a very stable person, and sending your troops across the border doesn’t help,” I said sternly.

“I understand your fear of civil war Lukas, but what Regulus probably forgot to mention to you is that three of his agents were caught wondering through my dungeon area three months ago. What they were looking for I do not know, but I locked the men up and refused to release them. I sent my across the borders because I was given word that another one of his agents had set up camp just passed the border, and was planning to infiltrate my castle at night. I could not let that happen.”

“Very well Alessia, but who gave you the information?”

“That I will not tell you my lord, for I simply cannot give away my sources. It is as simple as that. But you have my word that I will not send troops over the border again. I’ll admit that I might have been a bit hasty in that decision of sending out my soldiers, but the fear of enemy spies got the best of me. I promise it will not happen again, for I am a woman of peace. I do not wish for war.”

“Thank you Alessia, I wish for the same thing as you. We are one country; fighting each other is the last thing we need. Now, are there any specific problems your city has right now?”

“No, my husband and I have done an excellent job of keeping everyone in line, but at the same time we weren’t brutes to the people. I plan to uphold that during my reign as Countess.”

“That you have, and again, I am sorry to see your husband’s passing. If there is anything you need, let me know.”

“Thank you my lord. Before you leave I just want to say that I do believe in you, and other than Regulus, I think the others do as well. Also, it is getting late. Why don’t you take my guest chambers and stay the night? I have rooms for your companions as well.”

After talking with Jauffre and Baurus we decided staying the night was the safest and smartest option. So I was taken to my chambers and Jauffre and Baurus were taken to theirs. When we were all settled in Jauffre and Baurus came back to my room to discuss what happened today.

“You did a good in silencing the conflict between Leyawiin and Bravil, but I fear something more evil is happening,” whispered Jauffre, just loud enough for Baurus and I to hear.

“What do you mean?” I said.

“Her husband’s death just doesn’t add up. I knew the man personally before he was named Count. He was absolutely horrible with a bow and blade, and would never find himself hunting of all things. He was a politician, not a killer. I assure you this story of him dying sounds very fishy to me.”

“What are you saying Jauffre, that Alessia is hiding something from us?” asked Baurus.

“I don’t know, but she’s not telling the truth. I mean she wasn’t even a bit distraught by her husband’s death. Something isn’t right here.”

“Well there isn’t really anything we can do Jauffre,” I said.

“Ah, but there is Lukas. All bodies are put in a small room, beneath the castle, where they are sorted and then decorated for burial. The room is supposed to be a secret, but I found out about it years ago. The process of decoration takes about two days. The body of Marius, if he really is dead, will be down there, and we are going to find it.”

“Are you serious? Sneak down to a place we are not even supposed to know about? This is crazy Jauffre! I can’t believe your even thinking about doing that,” I whispered a little too loud.

“Keep your voice down Lukas. Now listen, I know it sounds insane, but I’ve got a feeling. I can’t explain it but I know I’m right.”

“Alright, even if we were to go down to that room, what do we say when we’re caught sneaking around?”

“We will not get caught Lukas, I assure you that. Actually, I think I should be the only one to go. Baurus doesn’t even know where the room is, and I don’t think we really need three people wandering around anyways.”

“No Jauffre, I will go with you. But I too believe Baurus should stay. Two people is more than enough.”

“So what, do I get shunned away from all the fun?” Asked Baurus, but with humor, not seriousness.

“I’m sorry Baurus, but it just wouldn’t be safe for three of us.”

“I know, I know, I’m just kidding with you. To tell you the truth, it would probably be best that someone stays, just incase something happens to you two.”

“And what do you think is going to happen?” Jauffre asked.

“I don’t know, I’m just saying.”

So we decided that Baurus stay in my room while Jauffre and I sneak down to whatever room we were talking about. I still wasn’t sure if what were doing made sense. I knew it wasn’t right, but what if something really was happening? Then I suppose it was right…

“Shhh…do not talk Lukas, just follow me.”

Jauffre and I were standing next to a couple of beer kegs down in the basement where all the alcohol and food was kept. We had to sneak past only two guards to get down here. I was so nervous, even more edgy than when I had given my “speech” at the Imperial City.

Then Jauffre tapped a small marked spot on the wall, and suddenly it separated. It wasn’t too loud thankfully, meaning that the guards wouldn’t hear us. I followed Jauffre as we stepped through the space and had to duck down as we crawled down the cold passage way, which was pitch dark, other than the torch Jauffre had found.

When we got to the other end there was a door that for some reason was unlocked. Carefully Jauffre opened it and peered inside, where a room was lit by many torches, but was empty of any bodies…living that is.

We stepped inside and sure enough, there were many bodies, just as Jauffre had said there would be. But the strangest thing was that they were all Argonians, Khajiits, and few Dunmer, except for one body, which was covered by a large white towel.

All of the bodies that could be seen were bloody and deformed, with different body parts missing and eye sockets bloodied. It was a terrible seen indeed, and I could no longer keep in my insides. I leaned over to the right and hurled more than I have ever done so in my life. The stench was horrible, nothing like I had ever experienced.

When I was finished Jauffre and I walked over to the covered body and lifted the sheet. Not surprisingly to Jauffre, the lifeless body of Marius Caro lay there, with his eyes still open. But something about them wasn’t right, and Jauffre seemed to have the answer.

“He was poisoned. I can see it in his eyes.”

Then he turned the shirtless body over and there were no marks suggesting that an arrow had penetrated his skin. It was true…Alessia really did lie to us.

“Are you certain he was poisoned Jauffre?”

“Yes, I’m positive. There are other things that suggest he was not killed by an arrow. Look at his skin. Its color is not normal. He was definitely poisoned. ‘Why’ I am not sure, but obviously Alessia has something to do with it. She might not have done it herself, but she definitely played a part in her husband’s death.”

Just as the two of us turned to leave the room a figure at the passageway’s tunnel stood there, watching us. Then it walked out from the shadows and we were face to face the Captain of the Guard, Caelia Draconis. Jauffre unsheathed his sword, ready for whatever happened next…

AUTHOR'S NOTE: The room above is not the torture room from the game. It is something that I put into the castle myself. I just wanted to say this so no one gets confused.

This post has been edited by redsrock: Oct 28 2007, 08:10 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Oct 28 2007, 08:02 PM
Post #55

Master
Group Icon

Oh yeah, the emperor is taking charge. biggrin.gif

I love how different Lukas acts now. It is as if he said to himself: ,,Screw this. If people don't like me, I'm sure as heck not going to try to appeal to them. I'm the damn Emperor and they'd better remember it!"

Regulus is a shifty fella. At first I was positive about Alessia but as soon as the 'Khajiit Argonians hate each other' popped up, I got suspicious. Surely it can't be that easy to keep the peace? And during the conversation, my suspicions grew greater and greater till now, I'm pretty sure Allessia is one scheming witch.

Minor nitpick, the last sentence had Baurus unsheathe his sword. This should be Jauffre.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Oct 28 2007, 08:09 PM
Post #56

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(jack cloudy @ Oct 28 2007, 08:02 PM) *

Minor nitpick, the last sentence had Baurus unsheathe his sword. This should be Jauffre.

Ah! That's a terrible mistake!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Oct 28 2007, 11:25 PM
Post #57

Master
Group Icon

Dun dun dun! Cliffhanger! Such a great way to end a post isn't it? I use it quite a bit myself.

Well this certainly proves that Caro has "other" methods of keeping the peace. Perhaps her husband find out about it...

I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 29 2007, 04:37 AM
Post #58

Agent

Ahh, DANG YOU EVIL COUNTESS!!!
This is such a great story. Though, it's too bad you didn't have any meetings with the other counts and stuff but, that would take too long. And this Leyawiin thing sounds very interesting.
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Oct 29 2007, 11:45 AM
Post #59

Knower
Group Icon

I've read the past 2 updates though I've failed to comment on time. My appologies. Regarding the two updates I must say I thoroughly enjoy them both, especially the way you handle the political intrigues between the two counties. When I played Oblivion, Count Marius didn't seem that useless and submissive to his wife. Besides some prejudice against the beast races, I can't say I noticed anything particularly extraordinary about the Countess, though I could suspect there was something about her that wasn't right. You played that side of her excellently in your last update. So it seems that the Countess is the one actually to blame for all the bad blood between Leyawiin and Bravil. It remains to be seen how much she is involved in the matter.

I eagerly await to see how Lukas and Jauffre handle Draconis' intrusion. Good luck!

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Oct 29 2007, 11:47 AM
Post #60

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 29 2007, 04:37 AM) *

Though, it's too bad you didn't have any meetings with the other counts and stuff but, that would take too long.

Who said there weren't going to be any more meetings?

--------------------
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:56 AM