18 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Saga of Joan of Arkay, A Morrowind Main Quest Story
SubRosa
post Aug 16 2021, 12:13 AM
Post #21

Ancient
Group Icon

Uh oh, Joan ventured into a bandit cave! They caused her an affront! At least they do not follow you in this game, so she was able to make her escape.

Joan goes back to do some righteous smiting!

There is no escape!

Apparently so!

It sounds like Joan and Blood Raven could have themselves a nice, quaint, Old-Tyme conversation!

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
macole
post Aug 16 2021, 04:15 AM
Post #22

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Aug 15 2021, 11:54 AM) *

... before falling to her death.

..and that's why the Jandaga doesn't go around shouting "There's no escape" or "Die you fool" when fighting. It always seems to end with an Aieeeee.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 21 2021, 03:16 PM
Post #23

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lena Wolf @ Aug 15 2021, 01:44 PM) *

Regroup and live to fight another day. Or just live another day. biggrin.gif Them snooty mages. tongue.gif

Absolutely. viking.gif To be successful at RPG combat means to know when to back out, and come back prepared some other day. As we'll see, that snooty mage won't last long.

QUOTE(Lopov @ Aug 15 2021, 01:48 PM) *

This n'wah killed her first target on Vvardenfell. There'll be plenty more, I assume. wink.gif It's now off to Balmora or does Joan plan another trip to Addamasartus?

Yes there will be plenty more fools who try to usurp and defeat my character, to no avail. indifferent.gif Don't they ever learn?

In my storywriting, Joan is already in Balmora by now. See, that's the advantage to writing shorter updates... what you read here is from several weeks ago.

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 15 2021, 07:13 PM) *

It sounds like Joan and Blood Raven could have themselves a nice, quaint, Old-Tyme conversation!

Absolutely, I could see Joan, Branwen, Sarah Phimm, and several others feeling comfortable speaking actual Olde Anglisc, and not coming off as corny as they do so.

And that is true, what you said about them not being able to follow, like they do in TES4. My gosh, what a different, much more stressful game Morrowind would be if they could follow.

QUOTE(macole @ Aug 15 2021, 11:15 PM) *

..and that's why the Jandaga doesn't go around shouting "There's no escape" or "Die you fool" when fighting. It always seems to end with an Aieeeee.

rollinglaugh.gif Yeah, but Kaleah seems like she enjoys a few one-liners here and there.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 21 2021, 04:00 PM
Post #24

Councilor
Group Icon

Um, I don't have any pictures for y'all in this update. Youll just have to bear with it.

-----------------------------

20 Last Seed (Day 5) early morning

"You n'wah!"

Joan of Cheydinhal has better luck as she invades Addamasartus for the second time. She had run from the magic-using, snooty elf a couple days ago, but now she is back, and ready to take him down.

At some point over the past couple days, Joan realized that all she has to do to defeat this magic-using snooty mage is wait.

Now, back in the cave, the snoot throws a spell at her. Some sort of drain spell, probably, or maybe a weakness spell. Joan sidesteps, allowing his magic to crash harmlessly into one of the cave's rocky walls. The snoot throws another spell. Joan sidesteps again.

In Cyrodiil, over the past couple years, many advanced users of magic had been learning how to recreate their own magicka, often in real-time. This had taken a lot of research and a lot of patience. But the Mages Guild seemed to be mastering this, and rumor had it a few outlaw wizards back in her home province were doing so, as well. Only those born under the Atronach were permanently cursed from regenerating their own mana. Joan had not gotten this far in her own magical training, unfortunately. She, like the bloomin' elf before her, could not regenerate her own mana. But this did not seem to matter in Morrowind.

Learning advancements seemed to traveled slow. Many magicians in the land of the Dunmer had not yet learned the skill of magic regeneration, it seemed. They did not seem to know about the magical triumphs going on in Cyrodiil. They were still doing things the old way, relying on rest, relying on potions.

Because of this, Joan realizes all she has to do is wait until the magic-throwing rogue bandit before her uses up all his mana, and then is forced to attack more directly. Within a half-minute or so, this is exactly what he does.

Joan casts her shield spell as the snoot approaches. She then begins slashing and stabbing the man with her iron shortsword.

"Aiigh!!!!"

STAB STAB...*BANG*.... *clink*... parry... The snoot may have had some good spells in his book; in fact, he almost ended her life a couple days ago. But she's the better fighter. Especially now that she had equipped her person with more proper armor pieces. After a couple more days of nuisance creatures and ingredient-gathering, Joan now possesses a cuirass of chitin, as well as pauldrons and gauntlets. The elf cannot cause much damage because of this. So it doesn't take long before the cave-dwelling snoot falls before her, and is downed forever.

One of many small victories to come, indeed.

Joan cautions further into the cave's initial chamber, and arrives to a couple passages. One branches left, and another branches right. She chooses to go left, where there are a flight of wooden stairs, leading upward into darkness. At the top of the stairs Joan finds a penned-off enclosure full of Khajiit. The area is locked, but Joan uses the key she had found two days before to open it.

"Khajiit has no worrrds for you," one of enclosure's inhabitants says.

Joan speaks to the cat, and finds that the rumors were true. There are prisoners being kept here in Addamasartus! Three of them.

"Master was right to disavow us," one of them says. "We are foolish."

Joan identifies herself, then frees them all from their restraints. As she does so, she thinks she feels the grace and glory of the Nine, shining upon her.

She retuns to the intersection she'd found before, and walks down some stairs. Joan turns left, and encounters one final cave-dwelling bandit. This one does not use magic; instead she throws a couple of darts Joan's way. Joan dodges the first, but gets hit by the second, causing her to falter a bit. But she also remembers her military training, and realizes she has two options: rush her opponent directly, or backtrack into a previous room, attempting to corner the dart-throwing bandit. Joan chooses to backtrack.

Joan rushes back to the cave's entry chamber, and closes a door. Meanwhile, the dart-thrower moves fast, and is right there behind her, clamoring to open the door so she can continue to throw her little weapons. Joan does not budge. As the door stands half-open, the Cyrodiilian begins thrusting and slashing with her blade!

"You n'wah!!!" taunts dart-lady.

Half the lady's health is gone as Joan makes her offense. Eventually the door slips open, and the dart-thrower falls back a bit, readying another dart. Joan uses the moment to cast a healing spell, returning her to almost full health.

"Thine past, 'tis full of besmirchments!" Joan calls. "Prepare to remander thine un-divinely ways!"

The dart-thrower seems to have run out of darts. She decides to come at Joan with a small knife. But the fight doesn't last too much longer. "You will suffer ... ooo!"

Joan says a quick prayer as loots the woman's body, only to find a couple of lockpicks. Tools of the dark, and unholy! thinks she. She does not take these, even though there's the possibility she can sell them for gold. Right about now, Joan of Cheydinhal needs some gold. All she has on her person at the moment is 15 pieces. But she refuses to tarnish her persona with these "tools of darkness".

She does find some items deeper into the cave though which are not unholy, and therefore saleable. Magical scrolls and gems. Food and drink and potions. But she also moon sugar! And skooma! ... "Foul brews and integrants, to be consumed by the miscreants of this world!" Joan does not take these.

After an hour or so of rummaging, Joan of Cheydinhal returns to Seyda Neen. Not only has she cleared the village of its local menacing scum, she increases her count of gold, from a meager 15 to a hefty 387. She uses 80 of this to upgrade her cuirass from chitin to ringmail.

Now, she feels she is perhaps more ready, to head to Balmora.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 22 2021, 03:06 AM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

Uh oh, Joan the outlander is not making friends in Addiestrus.

One of the things I really hate about Morrowind is that your mana did not regenerate on its own. It is a system deliberately created to discourage magic users. Like the D&D system of you forgetting your spells every time you cast them.

The cave-dwelling snoot fell before her!

No tools of darkness for Joan! laugh.gif

Joan freed the slaves and got rich in the bargain!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Aug 24 2021, 07:01 AM
Post #26

Master
Group Icon

Joan, the liberator of slaves!

She studied well the combat technique of the bloomin' Elf. laugh.gif All she needed, was to wait, and then she could pwn him. goodjob.gif

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 5 2021, 06:44 PM
Post #27

Councilor
Group Icon

Rosa: Nope, no friends in Addamasartus. nono.gif I am glad she won't make friends in enemy locations, just because I want my videogame experience to be edgy and dangerous! tongue.gif

I got used to lack of magicka regen after playing Arena for a couple years, but I understand what you're saying. bluewizardsmile.gif I just wanted to make up some sort of explanation why there's Mana Regeneration in later games (earlier years), but not Arena, Daggerfall, or Morrowind.

Lopov: Yes, that bloomin' elf didn't have a chance once Joan figured things out. viking.gif

-------------------------------------

Last Seed 21 (Day 6), early morning

IPB Image

Joan of Arkay leaves the hamlet of Seyda Neen, heading east toward Pelagiad. It takes but a few hours to reach her destination. The journey goes without incident. No bandits, no hostile creatures. Interesting to Joan, who has heard how dangerous Vvardenfell could be.

She walks into town. First person she speaks to is an Imperial Legion. "The Empire built a little fort here to guard the roads between Vivec, Seyda Neen, Balmora, and points north," he says. "And then some veterans took their mustering-out pay and built themselves some little farms here."

"I see," Joan quips.

"And pretty soon," the Legion continues, "there's a few shops and a tradehouse. It's a pleasant little village. If you didn't know better, you'd think you were in Daggerfall or some other High Rock town."

Joan finds Pelagiad to be much more suitable to the needs of the wandering traveler. Pelagiad has a merchant, a smith, and an inn. The town had been built upon a small hill, with a fully-functional fort to guard it. Joan learns that the Imperial Legion can be joined, which piques her interest.

For 10 gold, she rents a room in Halfway Tavern, the town's lovely inn. She has a meal of crab meat topped with a bit of heather. She spends some time speaking to some of the inn's residents, mostly learning things she already knows. Then she goes to bed.

Early evening
Joan barely falls asleep, before being awoken by a loud noise. She scrambles out of bed, and immediately readies her sword. It seems trouble is afoot!

She can feel the sense of evil, which has suddenly pervaded the inn. "Ordain mine person!" she calls softly. "I inquire upon the graces of Arkay, might these graces assist."

She picks up her shield with her left hand, then opens the door to her room. Up the hall, the Khajiit named Ahnassi seems agitated. He's running for the stairs, but something (or someone) is blocking his way.

"You will die!"

Someone calls out in a gravelly voice! This someone is downstairs from Joan's floor, she thinks. Whomever he is, he does not attack Halfway's other guests, nor do they attack him. This can only mean one thing. Joan of Cheydinhal uses her mind to ready a healing spell, one which will guarantee she'll have a good chance at surviving whatever is to come. She rushes down the steps!

But the intruder is nowhere to be seen. Joan dashes around from room to room, unable to find him. Finally, she determines he must be located in one of the inn's rooms, which is locked. She has Drelasa Ramothran, Halfway's owner, unlock the room's door. *

"Stand away," Joan says to a lady standing nearby. "For you musn't be assalted."

Finally, Joan sees the intruder, standing just inside the room opened by Drelasa. He wears all black, just like somebody from the Dark Brotherhood. How did he get in? Joan thinks. Why are not the guards trying to rid him? ... The intruder throws a knife at her, but misses his shot.

"Come hither!" Joan calls, slicing silver at the man in black. The man in black slices back!

"You will suffer greatly!" he says. Who is he? Why is he attacking only her?

Joan puts up a good offense but after multiple attempts at attack and defense, her health begins to falter. So she jumps over a bed, then readies her mind to heal herself while the intruder rushes towards her. She casts a spell of brilliant star-blue. Though she suffers a few blows from the man as she does so, Joan's health returns to full.

Now the man hasn't got a chance!

"You n'wahhhh!"

"I shall banish ye, miscreant!"

After several more moments of combat, Joan's life energy, her fatigue, also begins to fall. She hasn't got a spell (nor any potions) for this yet, so her only option is to move into another room, and wait a few moments to catch her breath. She winds up zooming downstairs again, closing the door behind her. This causes the intruder a few moments of confusion, for it takes a few moments for him to find her downstairs. By the time he does, Joan is back at it! Both of them begin swinging, while the inn's guests mosey about calmly. Joan is careful not to hit any of them, as she rushes back upstairs again, and back into the same room where the fight had begun.

But Samia, the lady wearing blue, is in this room.

So finally, Joan stomps back toward the stairs. As she moves down them, the intruder meets her halfway.

"Fall before me!" she calls quietly, crashing and bashing the intruder with her shortsword a few more times. Eventually, the man does exactly this, falling down a couple of Halfway's stairs.

"Yooo want somethinnnng?" asks Ahnassi, apparently nonplussed about all the ruckus going on.

Joan of Cheydinhal struggles to catch her breath, wondering what the Nine was that all about?

----------------------------------

Walking to Pelagiad

Come hither, miscreant!

Fight with Assassin

You will suffer greatly!

Swish! bluewizardsmile.gif

Assassin's Greed

Notes: * I had to use the console to unlock the door, because Joan can't pick locks, nor would she.

Note 2: This fight lasted several in-game hours! Joan went to bed around 7 PM, and the final save I just made is around 11 PM.

Note 3: A lot of my characters will loot the assassin (the man in black) of his Dark Brotherhood armor. This is easy money once the guy has been pwned! emot-ninja1.gif Joan chooses not to do so, however. She wants nothing to do with the Evils of the world.

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 5 2021, 07:34 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 5 2021, 08:41 PM
Post #28

Paladin
Group Icon

Pelagiad seems welcoming enough to the Knight of Arkay. Well. . . except for the assassin who seems to be out for Joan for some reason.

A tense fight as Joan cleverly uses the tools and terrain available to survive and prevail.

’Both of them begin swinging, while the inn's guests mosey about calmly. Joan is careful not to hit any of them, as she rushes back upstairs again,…’
- - Haha, Joan fights like Jan the Stormcrow!

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Sep 7 2021, 08:06 AM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

She barely arrived to Vvardenfell and someone already wants her dead! ohmy.gif

I already forgot details but don't these assassins keep coming and coming until you at least do some part of the quest that their attack triggers?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Sep 7 2021, 08:48 AM
Post #30

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Sep 7 2021, 08:06 AM) *

She barely arrived to Vvardenfell and someone already wants her dead! ohmy.gif

That would be worrying, but I think the reality might be even worse. Since these was a Dark Brotherhood assassin rather than one from Morag Tong, it was someone in Cyrodiil who wanted Joan dead... The assassin simply followed her to Vvardenfell. ohmy.gif Oh dear, whatever earned Joan such malice? blink.gif

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 7 2021, 09:49 AM
Post #31

Ancient
Group Icon

I suspect that Arkay just might ordain Joan's person...

Give that jackanape what for Joan!

The assassin looks like Snake Eyes from GI Joe.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Sep 7 2021, 04:02 PM
Post #32

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Sep 7 2021, 03:06 AM) *

don't these assassins keep coming and coming

Yes, those persistent SOBs continue to show up forever and ever to the end of recorded time (or until we speak to Apelles Matius). And not only that, but they start coming in pairs after awhile, then in trios. And they get stronger and wield better weapons as time goes on.

I still remember my fist encounter with an assassin. I had just installed Tribunal (after a tedious 30 minute wait while the expansion reorganized my journal, sigh) and was somewhere out in the Ashlands. I was about to enter a Daedric ruin when three of them caught up with me. I had just about enough time to notice something in black moving very fast on my screen and then I was staring at a message asking me if I wanted to reload a save.

After a second untimely death I asked the forums what in the blazing heck was going on. Nobody knew. A few others had seen them by then (and had died), but it was a mystery to us all. Sometime later in the day we realized it must be part of the expansion. I think it might have been Horatio who first discovered it.

Bethesda, those sneaky devils. They let us walk right into these traps without warning, lol. .I bet they were laughing pretty hard if they read the forums that day.

This post has been edited by Pseron Wyrd: Sep 7 2021, 04:15 PM
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Sep 7 2021, 04:21 PM
Post #33

Mouth
Group Icon

Wow, an assassin that is actually proficient in his trade! I am impressed! Not like those ones in Skyrim then that fall over with a few stabs? tongue.gif

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Sep 7 2021, 05:34 PM
Post #34

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lena Wolf @ Sep 7 2021, 11:21 AM) *

Wow, an assassin that is actually proficient in his trade! I am impressed! Not like those ones in Skyrim then that fall over with a few stabs? tongue.gif

I think part of it was the surprise. In the beginning none of us knew the attacks were coming. Later, we could plan ahead and were much less likely to get killed. A few weeks after the expansion came out I rarely died to assassins anymore.
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Sep 7 2021, 11:17 PM
Post #35

Mouth
Group Icon

Ah, yes. Those [censored] [censored] Dark Brotherhood assassins. I remember the first time playing Morrowind and one appearing the very first time I rested outside. And because it is such an old game, the loading is super quick, so he just yelled in my face really loudly immediately after the loading finished. I didn't realize until later that that was only because of the Tribunal DLC since I was playing the GOTY Edition. (The werewolves that suddenly appear toward the end of the Bloodmoon DLC were the same way. Quick load screen while sleeping, then several roared REALLY loudly and pierced my eardrums.)

This last playthrough I was doing a few months ago, I was handling the assassins with ease until eventually a duo attacked so damn quickly that I just got stun-locked. I hadn't wanted to go to Mournhold yet so they just kept coming randomly when I rested outside. Annoyed the hell out of me. One day, I'm going to give Helseth what's coming to him. Even though he canonically survives and soon abolishes slavery, just once I want to give him some payback for those assassins.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 8 2021, 02:06 AM
Post #36

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Sep 7 2021, 05:17 PM) *

Ah, yes. Those [censored] [censored] Dark Brotherhood assassins. I remember the first time playing Morrowind and one appearing the very first time I rested outside. And because it is such an old game, the loading is super quick, so he just yelled in my face really loudly immediately after the loading finished. I didn't realize until later that that was only because of the Tribunal DLC since I was playing the GOTY Edition. (The werewolves that suddenly appear toward the end of the Bloodmoon DLC were the same way. Quick load screen while sleeping, then several roared REALLY loudly and pierced my eardrums.)

This last playthrough I was doing a few months ago, I was handling the assassins with ease until eventually a duo attacked so damn quickly that I just got stun-locked. I hadn't wanted to go to Mournhold yet so they just kept coming randomly when I rested outside. Annoyed the hell out of me. One day, I'm going to give Helseth what's coming to him. Even though he canonically survives and soon abolishes slavery, just once I want to give him some payback for those assassins.

I’ve got a mod that delays the Brotherhood attacks. It’s a must, in my opinion.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 8 2021, 01:27 PM
Post #37

Councilor
Group Icon

whoa whoa!

Funny thing is when I played Morrowind on Xbox (and I really got obsessed with this game on Xbox, played for 2 solid years before my disc wouldn't load) only one Assassin would show up. emot-ninja1.gif Usually it took a few character levels for this to happen. I seem to think it somewhere between Level 3 and 5.

However, on PC they've been showing up really early in the game. indifferent.gif Always Level 1. I'm not sure why this is, when my characters are not really quite ready, yet. I only have 10 mods installed so far, so maybe one of those is the culprit. I have never seen groups of assassins, yet. Maybe this is because none of mine so far have done the Main Quest, though?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Sep 8 2021, 01:46 PM
Post #38

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 8 2021, 08:27 AM) *

I'm not sure why this is

Here is what UESP says about it: "The conditions for being attacked in your sleep differ between the PC and Xbox versions of the game. In the PC version, you can be attacked at any time, even when you sleep for the first time after starting a new game with Tribunal installed. In the Xbox version, you will only be attacked after you have reached level 6."
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Sep 8 2021, 03:22 PM
Post #39

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 8 2021, 02:27 PM) *

whoa whoa!

Funny thing is when I played Morrowind on Xbox (and I really got obsessed with this game on Xbox, played for 2 solid years before my disc wouldn't load) only one Assassin would show up. emot-ninja1.gif Usually it took a few character levels for this to happen. I seem to think it somewhere between Level 3 and 5.

However, on PC they've been showing up really early in the game. indifferent.gif Always Level 1. I'm not sure why this is, when my characters are not really quite ready, yet. I only have 10 mods installed so far, so maybe one of those is the culprit. I have never seen groups of assassins, yet. Maybe this is because none of mine so far have done the Main Quest, though?

I think if you manage to evade an assassin when he finds you, you can "disable" attacks that follow. E.g. if you wouldn't go that room and confront him, you'd probably "disable" subsequent attacks.

This post has been edited by Lopov: Sep 8 2021, 03:22 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
macole
post Sep 8 2021, 04:10 PM
Post #40

Mouth
Group Icon

Oh those were fun times. Waking up in the middle of the night after just getting off the boat to face the assassins of the Dark Brotherhood is so much fun.
There's a mod Murderous Dreams that I used in the past that delays DB attacks until you reach a certain amount of fame. It kind of simulates non-descript persona until your fame becomes high and wide enough to attract attention. It worked well for me but others have reported problems with it.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post

18 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:26 AM