79 Pages V « < 22 23 24 25 26 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer issues, Viruses, trojans, crashes, install problems etc
Decrepit
post May 28 2018, 11:24 PM
Post #461

Master
Group Icon

Broke down and ordered a Logitech PowerPlay charging mouse pad for my G703. If my memory was better I'd likely forgo it. But I keep forgetting to charge the mouse overnight after powering down the PC. Not a showstopper, as I can convert the mouse from cordless to corded easily enough. But the G703 is good enough to forgo the cord with no noticeable loss in performance. The charging pad charges the mouse during normal use. No special charging time needed. An ideal situation...except for the price. It should arrive Thursday.

Also ordered a set of speaker "pin" connectors, which will hopeful keep the two rear channels of the power amp attached to my PC from periodically cutter out. I'm not holding my breath. Even it they don't solve the issue they're cheap enough to be a solid investment.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 30 2018, 11:43 PM
Post #462

Master
Group Icon

Not really an issue, but...

Was playing Transport Fever (what else?) yesterday. Tried to make a save. It wouldn't let me. Repeated attempts failed. It dawned on me to check my Games partition. Sure enough, it was filled to the max. Deleted a bunch of older TF saves. All's well again, for now. Not a lot of room left on that partition in the best of circumstances, sad to say. I knew from the get-go I'd eventually need a second M2.nvme drive, only not quite so soon. (If I wanted to use an conventional hard drive partition to house games I'd have no worries for a LONG time. But those days are over. Get used to M2.nvme and you can't go back. Not me in any case.)

My PowerPlay charging mouse pad should arrive tomorrow. Hope it lives up to expectations. (I've used the same mouse pad since the mid-late nineties. Works like a charm and looks to years of life left in it. Hate to see it go, but them's the breaks.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jun 2 2018, 11:32 PM
Post #463

Master
Group Icon

Whew....switching my monitor cable from DVI to HDMI resolved a problem of the PC not able to wake from sleep mode after installing the Logitech Powerplay charging mouse pad. With that out of the way, I can give the Powerplay pad a solid thumbs up. As a mouse pad it's better than the one I've used for years (and should be considering the price difference). As a charger it works as advertised. It keeps my G703 charged at around 85-90+ % without me having to remember to recharge it overnight. On the other hand, for folk who DO remember to charge overnight it's an expensive investment that can be done without.

As for the mouse, my one real complaint is that its braided cord has a tendency to occasionally snag on the sharp rear edge of my computer desk. Now that I have the Powerplay I don't need to plug in the cord for any reason, so have no complaints at all. It's a nice mouse. Worth the price? Not sure.

Installing audio pin-plugs on my PC amp speaker wires fixed my issue with rear channels cutting out for a whole day and a half. Earlier today they began cutting out again. Still a solid investment considering their low cost.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jun 4 2018, 09:04 PM
Post #464

Master
Group Icon

I'm back form the dead, so to speak. A lightening storm that hit just as I was powering down the computer Saturday night (circa 2215) took out AT&T phone/internet service in our area. It came back on this morning (Monday) right before lunch. All seems to well except when I launch Steam via its desktop icon it takes me to my start screen but no further. Relatedly, when I launch Transport Fever and Mashinky I now get warning messages telling me my data can not be synced with Steam. Not sure if it's a result of something associated with the internet outage or maybe Steam in on the blink?????

Bloody power amp rear channels keep cutting out, despite having installed theoretically better speaker connectors. I've thought about replacing it with a reasonably priced decent quality four-channel amp. Those don't seem to exist any more except for car audio. Some high end stuff is available, but I don't need that kind of power or expense.

The charging feature of my Logitech Powerplay charging mouse pad continues to work like a charge. A good thing too. I never remember to turn off the mouse at night.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 4 2018, 09:26 PM
Post #465

Ancient
Group Icon

Try deinstalling the Steam client and reinstalling it. I had a problem with it once where it decided to change the language to Finnish, and it refused to speak 'Merican. I think that was how I eventually fixed it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jun 4 2018, 11:52 PM
Post #466

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 4 2018, 03:26 PM) *

Try deinstalling the Steam client and reinstalling it. I had a problem with it once where it decided to change the language to Finnish, and it refused to speak 'Merican. I think that was how I eventually fixed it.

Thanks for the advice. As it turns out, it came to me that internet was restored with the computer up and running. I decided to shut down completely and restart the PC. Sure enough, after doing so Steam is fine again.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jun 8 2018, 03:09 PM
Post #467

Spam Meister
Group Icon

IPB Image

(Computer in pic is not mine)

I have sad news. Yesterday evening, at roughly 10PM, the computer I've had for close to 25 years decided it was time to call it quits. It simply would not start up anymore. The error message I got indicated the curcuit board controlling the harddrive did not function. It had been acting up for the last few days but at the end always booted up. Not this time though.

I have both dreaded and expected this for quite a few years now which is why I two years ago finally got off my birdy butt and copied all things I deemed important over to my Windows Millennium puter which now will serve as the official Cottage Puter. May its service be as long and happy as the 3.1's was.

After a couple of years when the 3.1 was new in our house, my brother installed an odometer that kept track of the mouse pointer. I can't say exactly what it stood at but at the end it was roughly about 101.401 kilometers or just over 63000 miles.

All games working on the 3.1 works on the Millennium but sounds and music are not the same and some games move too fast. Guess I have to learn to adapt to that, it's not like I have a choice at this point.

-Thank you for the thousands of hours of entertainment you've given me these past 25 years, Puter. Rest assured I much appreciated your service and that your memory will be forever treasured. Farewell.

*sniff*

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 8 2018, 03:24 PM
Post #468

Paladin
Group Icon

Aww, rest in peace little old puter. kvright.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 8 2018, 04:31 PM
Post #469

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 8 2018, 09:09 AM) *

IPB Image

I have sad news. Yesterday evening, at roughly 10PM, the computer I've had for close to 25 years decided it was time to call it quits. It simply would not start up anymore. The error message I got indicated the curcuit board controlling the harddrive did not function. It had been acting up for the last few days but at the end always booted up. Not this time though.

I have both dreaded and expected this for quite a few years now which is why I two years ago finally got off my birdy butt and copied all things I deemed important over to my Windows Millennium puter which now will serve as the official Cottage Puter. May its service be as long and happy as the 3.1's was.

After a couple of years when the 3.1 was new in our house, my brother installed an odometer that kept track of the mouse pointer. I can't say exactly what it stood at but at the end it was roughly about 101.401 kilometers or just over 63000 miles.

All games working on the 3.1 works on the Millennium but sounds and music are not the same and some games move too fast. Guess I have to learn to adapt to that, it's not like I have a choice at this point.

-Thank you for the thousands of hours of entertainment you've given me these past 25 years, Puter. Rest assured I much appreciated your service and that your memory will be forever treasured. Farewell.

*sniff*

May it Rest In Peace.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Jun 8 2018, 06:34 PM
Post #470

Master
Group Icon

Now I'm listening to Chopin. Thanks.

Sad to see the old friend go, bird. sad.gif

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 8 2018, 06:38 PM
Post #471

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Jun 8 2018, 12:34 PM) *

You’re most welcome! biggrin.gif
Khajiit likes that song despite its somber mood and association. Or maybe because of it, not sure.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Jun 8 2018, 06:43 PM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 8 2018, 08:23 PM
Post #472

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 8 2018, 10:09 AM) *

IPB Image

*sniff*

Bwaaaaah, *sniff, sniff* sad.gif I'm so sorry for your loss! verysad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jun 8 2018, 10:00 PM
Post #473

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jun 8 2018, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Jun 8 2018, 12:34 PM) *

You’re most welcome! biggrin.gif
Khajiit likes that song despite its somber mood and association. Or maybe because of it, not sure.

Ha! I was thinking on an appropriate piece of music for the occasion, but ya beat me to the punch.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jun 9 2018, 02:33 PM
Post #474

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 8 2018, 09:23 PM) *

Thanks verysad.gif

As the stubborn mule I am though, I haven't completely given up on it. Like Gimli it still draws breath, it's not completely silent when I plug it in so I will keep trying to find someone who can take a look at it while I also hunt for a similar puter.

Denial is a thing, guys... wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 9 2018, 03:29 PM
Post #475

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 9 2018, 09:33 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 8 2018, 09:23 PM) *

Thanks verysad.gif

As the stubborn mule I am though, I haven't completely given up on it. Like Gimli it still draws breath, it's not completely silent when I plug it in so I will keep trying to find someone who can take a look at it while I also hunt for a similar puter.

Denial is a thing, guys... wink.gif

I'm with you on this. I gave my son my 3.1 thinking he would cherish it like I did and enjoy playing Chips Challenge, etc = it came with two disks full of games! It was in perfect shape and running perfectly, but obsolete. He promptly threw it away, and when I found out I thought I would cry!

I still have one computer that will play Chips Challenge; a later HP that had a whopping 10 gig hard drive, lol. It had Windows 98 on it, but I had an upgrade of XP that I could add on that took up at least 2.5 gig of the 10.

I had to reformat that PC about once every week, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jun 9 2018, 03:45 PM
Post #476

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 9 2018, 04:29 PM) *

I gave my son my 3.1 thinking he would cherish it like I did and enjoy playing Chips Challenge, etc = it came with two disks full of games! It was in perfect shape and running perfectly, but obsolete. He promptly threw it away, and when I found out I thought I would cry!

He did WHAT!??!!?? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Ok, that's it. I'm gonna have to start a Christmas card list now and add him to it just so I can cross him off it!

He's... No! Just no!! IPB Image

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 9 2018, 11:00 PM
Post #477

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 9 2018, 10:45 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 9 2018, 04:29 PM) *

I gave my son my 3.1 thinking he would cherish it like I did and enjoy playing Chips Challenge, etc = it came with two disks full of games! It was in perfect shape and running perfectly, but obsolete. He promptly threw it away, and when I found out I thought I would cry!

He did WHAT!??!!?? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Ok, that's it. I'm gonna have to start a Christmas card list now and add him to it just so I can cross him off it!

He's... No! Just no!! IPB Image

Right? I mean, who does that?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jun 19 2018, 03:43 PM
Post #478

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Called my computer guy yesterday and he agreed to take a look at the 3.1 on Monday. I explained the issues and his (and my) main concern is getting hold of spare parts. If he can't do anything I may turn to a company to extract the content on the HDD and put it on an extern one. Problem is I still need to find a similar computer to dump all that stuff on as most games either won't work on my Millennium or the sounds/music are way off.

I've looked online but haven't been able to find another Compaq Presario. But I'm not giving up. Not yet.

snassin'....

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jun 19 2018, 06:05 PM
Post #479

Master
Group Icon

Since ever glorious Win10 Spring Update videos and stills with "flesh" display a good bit blue streaking/splotches. No idea what's up with that. At first I though maybe the update had changed my GPU color depth/settings. No, so far as I can tell those weren't altered. I changed my monitor connection from DVI to HDMI to solve a wake-from-sleep problem that appeared when I installed the Logitech Charging Mouse Pad, but the issue existed before that. For now I'm living with it as I've not seen reports of anyone else so afflicted.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Jun 19 2018, 09:17 PM
Post #480

Master
Group Icon

Weird.

I'm personally trying to figure out why my Skyrim is stuttering after 30 mins to an hour of gameplay. Might have to change some settings again.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post

79 Pages V « < 22 23 24 25 26 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:08 PM