79 Pages V « < 64 65 66 67 68 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer issues, Viruses, trojans, crashes, install problems etc
mirocu
post Jul 2 2022, 03:07 PM
Post #1301

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Auto-correct is just as bad as auto-updates as far as I'm concerned. It messes things up moar then Eye doo.

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jul 15 2022, 03:23 PM
Post #1302

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Another minor but irritating nuiscance. Firefox updated and now I can't change the bookmark order by drag-n-drop anymore. Also the sidebar is gone. Thoughts?

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 15 2022, 04:19 PM
Post #1303

Paladin
Group Icon

Hmm, I use Firefox as my primary browser and just checked. I don't see any problems here. I have my bookmarks sidebar and can drag/drop rearrange as normal. kvleft.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jul 16 2022, 02:45 PM
Post #1304

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Had to reinstall due to Firefox complained about my profile couldn't be found and simply didn't let me continue to the browser. Never set up a profile before so I don't know what that was. And no; still can't drag-n-drop the bookmark out on to the menu or rearrange the bookmarks. I have no idea what has happened blink.gif blink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 24 2022, 08:39 PM
Post #1305

Master
Group Icon

My "new" Samsung 970 EVO Pro 2TB M2.NVME boot drive is at last up-and-running sans issues . . . for the moment. <crosses fingers>

Yes, this is the same drive I wrote about having been installed some time ago. Only, after a day of running flawlessly, next morning the system wouldn't boot. The "old" NVME drive was reinstalled. I've used it ever since then.

I drummed up the enthusiasm for another attempt this morning.

Deleting much of my original post, I'll just say that the "new" boot drive is in place, working as it should. Which doesn't explain why it ceased functioning after one day last time.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Aug 24 2022, 11:15 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 24 2022, 09:24 PM
Post #1306

Councilor
Group Icon

If at any point something had to be plugged in, it was probably a dirty contact.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 25 2022, 08:31 PM
Post #1307

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Aug 24 2022, 03:24 PM) *

If at any point something had to be plugged in, it was probably a dirty contact.

Something I noticed during yesterday's successful System Drive clone/swap. The "old" drive slots very easily into the M2 receptacle. There is no doubt it was a solid connection. While installing the "new" drive in that receptacle, it was more "finicky". It took a few attempts before I thought it firmly in place. It might be that during my long-ago failed clone/swap attempt, the "new" drive wasn't slotted quite as solidly as it ought to have been. Maybe this allowed it to function properly that first day, but somehow shifted just enough to break connection overnight? Against this, the "new" drive was securely locked in place by a screw at its far end. And the computer was not physically touched between when the drive would boot and when it wouldn't (other than to press the Off/On button). Still, it's a good an explanation as I can come up with at the moment.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 21 2022, 03:50 PM
Post #1308

Master
Group Icon

Most interesting. Malwarebytes is all of a sudden blocking YouTube for containing . . . malware. I'm getting pop-ups from them constantly. Is this some sinister new plot on Googles end. Or a mistake on Malwarebytes' end? I trust Google less, but we shall see how it plays out. (Web searches are of no help, it's prolly too soon.)

ADDENDUM:
Malewarebytes is aware of the issue, which seems to be on their end. They are (obviously) working on a fix.

ADDENDUM 2:
At around 1140 the issue disappeared. YouTube again loads. No more pop-ups.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Sep 21 2022, 05:45 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 11 2022, 10:20 AM
Post #1309

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Since my ADSL service is being cancelled October 31st and my provider wanted to force me over to mobile, I've decided to go fiber. This means I'll go from 2MB/s to 100MB/s while paying less. I hope it's as good as it sounds tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 29 2022, 07:41 PM
Post #1310

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Seems like it is! The box has already been installed by my landlord so all that was needed was a cable from it to the computer, service was also already ordered. As I am forced to pay 4 bucks extra per month on my rent for that box they installed without me asking for it, I might as well use it.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Nov 6 2022, 01:28 PM
Post #1311

Mouth
Group Icon

STUPID WINDOOZZZZ! mad.gif

Right, had to get it out. smile.gif Wasted two and a half hours this morning trying to figure out why my Oblivion wouldn't start. Of course I was blaming the mods, OBSE, everything... Ticking them off one by one, removing plugins until I was left with NAKED Oblivion - and it still wouldn't start! That is, it starts, plays the Bethesda logos video, and then just hangs there. Or occasionally it manages to progress to the main menu and then hangs when you try to load a save - or even start a new game!

But when the naked Oblivion did the same, I finally had to concede that it had NOTHING to do with mods... rolleyes.gif Should have thought of that earlier... Like two and a half hours earlier!

A reboot fixed the problem.

There was no Windows update between yesterday and today, but I do have a suspect. I played Two Worlds II yesterday before bed, and that game has its own video handling built in - it was made before the standard DirectX or whatever came out. It did take a long time to start up yesterday, and the screen flickered a few times - I think the video card was changing some settings, and that must have confused Oblivion. But now I can run either game without issues. <giant sigh of relief>

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Nov 6 2022, 05:23 PM
Post #1312

Paladin
Group Icon

Urgh, that's gotta be frustrating! kvright.gif
Glad you got it sorted though.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 15 2022, 03:05 PM
Post #1313

Master
Group Icon

Had a brief moment of panic this morning, following a periodic PC interior cleaning. GPUz shows my GPU's PCIe 3.0 slot running at 1.01. Thankfully, YouTube came to the rescue, with a video showing that it's a standard power-saving feature used when the GPU isn't being taxed. GPUz has a built-in means to kick the slot into 3.0 for verification. Me being me, I didn't notice it, though it's beside the PCIe slot mode reading.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 16 2022, 07:32 PM
Post #1314

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Planned tech obsolescence

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 23 2022, 08:18 PM
Post #1315

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Again a confusing youtube issue.

Some videos, seemingly random ones, simply refuse to load properly anymore. Even simple lyrics videos without anything moving won't work anymore while other videos still work fine. The page won't load without stuttering, I can't change video settings smoothly and a yellow bar keeps appearing and disappearing at the top of the browser window. It says a webpage is slowing things down and gives me two choices to fix the issue but nothing works and often I don't even have time to click on anything before the bar vanishes. This issue appeared this Monday and affected videos I could watch perfectly fine the day before. I haven't made any changes or updates to my computer. I don't have any problem here btw.

Service provider support is as always worth donkey and my regular tech guy is out of town at the moment. Anyone had this problem before? Could it be an issue with youtube itself?

This post has been edited by mirocu: Nov 23 2022, 08:41 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 23 2022, 09:01 PM
Post #1316

Councilor
Group Icon

Gosh no, Crow. Nothing like that going on here. Try using a hammer.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Nov 23 2022, 09:56 PM
Post #1317

Master
Group Icon

It's probably the site if it's only YouTube. Sometimes it'll be stuck buffering for a while, especially if it's a tab I've had open a long time but not actually watched yet.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 24 2022, 12:21 AM
Post #1318

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 23 2022, 01:18 PM) *

Again a confusing youtube issue.

Some videos, seemingly random ones, simply refuse to load properly anymore. Even simple lyrics videos without anything moving won't work anymore while other videos still work fine. The page won't load without stuttering, I can't change video settings smoothly and a yellow bar keeps appearing and disappearing at the top of the browser window. It says a webpage is slowing things down and gives me two choices to fix the issue but nothing works and often I don't even have time to click on anything before the bar vanishes. This issue appeared this Monday and affected videos I could watch perfectly fine the day before. I haven't made any changes or updates to my computer. I don't have any problem here btw.

Service provider support is as always worth donkey and my regular tech guy is out of town at the moment. Anyone had this problem before? Could it be an issue with youtube itself?

Have you tried running YouTube on a different browser to see if the same thing happens?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 24 2022, 06:13 PM
Post #1319

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Nov 23 2022, 09:56 PM) *

It's probably the site if it's only YouTube. Sometimes it'll be stuck buffering for a while, especially if it's a tab I've had open a long time but not actually watched yet.

I've noticed that too but this has been tabs I'm immediately watching.

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Nov 24 2022, 12:21 AM) *

Have you tried running YouTube on a different browser to see if the same thing happens?

I tried Firefox on my backup PC now and same issue, at least with some vids. One that didn't work on my main works on this, but still issue with other vids.

I did try Chrome and it seems there's no issue there so I guess it is a Firefox thing. I am very reluctant on giving up on FF though as I love the extentions I can use...

This post has been edited by mirocu: Nov 24 2022, 06:28 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 30 2022, 03:48 PM
Post #1320

Master
Group Icon

I've been bombarded by "sign-in with Google" pop-ups lately. This bugs me to no end. Luckily, a search easily found an easy and totally legit solution. (It's a switchable Google privacy setting.)

--------------------
+Quote Post

79 Pages V « < 64 65 66 67 68 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:00 AM