Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Dark Operation, Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun is back for more... in Cyrodiil.
Olen
post Jan 7 2008, 02:27 PM
Post #21

Mouth
Group Icon

He's certainly direct. I like your writing style too, the pace is fast but you still get in nice details like the bandit.

And its got a pleasingly high body count.

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
canis216
post Jan 13 2008, 11:33 PM
Post #22

Knower
Group Icon

Shadow’s Gate Cornerclub, Kragenmoor

It was Loredas night at Kragenmoor’s busiest, sleaziest dive, and the booze hall was crowded with merchants and bandits all fresh off the road. The typical troupe of bards vigorously playing the usual ballads of the Nerevarine—more popular than ever in the absence of an Emperor—was overwhelmed by the banter of the gathered horde. A pair of the shadowy figures sitting in the one (almost) quiet corner ruminated upon the gathering.

Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun was first to speak. “I hear some folks wouldn’t mind if the Nerevarine marched on the Imperial City and took over. Kvatch must have been ugly.”

“That’s what we hear,” Caius Cosades said, somberly. Surprised you didn’t catch word of it back in Cyrodiil.”

“It was a long ride from the City; I didn’t stop for the news. They’ve got some other poor fool to deliver the reports now.”

“Indeed, indeed. So what of your work? You said LaChance told you to go to Cheydinhal to ‘meet the family’?”

“Yeah, but I decided to come here first. I guess I can’t shake the feeling that I’ll arrive there and everyone will jump me as a spy. I can’t believe that the Dark Brotherhood is this gullible. I mean, I was damn near infamous back on Vvardenfell, at least for a while. I burned down a slave market! The Morag Tong tried to kill me twice! And then there was Helseth… In any case, the Dark Brotherhood should know who I am—they were hired to kill me, after all.”

“I know, I know…”

“I’m saying, Caius, that something isn’t right.”

“Can you handle them if they jump you?” The Imperial looked into the argonian’s eyes.

“Depends on how many. Probably. Even an incompetent, wielding Kills-You-Dead, might take a couple with him. I figure I might be able to take four dark brothers at once, maybe more if they’re entry level and real stupid. But I don’t know, it’s been a couple years since I was in a more-or-less fair fight. And that was a rabble of bandits, not trained assassins.”

“Best be careful. Even if this operation with the Brotherhood doesn’t pan out, it would be no good having you dead.”

For ten minutes the two Blades drank their ales in silence, once again contemplating the music.

“Caius, was it your idea or Sethyas’ to make up the rumor about going to Akavir?”

“Mine. I heard that fame was putting a damper on his privacy, so I suggested a solution to him—Nine-Toes tells me folk have actually bought that load of guar [censored], too. The more far-fetched the lie, the more likely the people will believe it—the first rule of deception, my friend.”

Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun nodded gravely. And then he opened a bottle of brandy.

“Al, what else did LaChance tell you about the Dark Brotherhood?”

“They’re real head cases, Caius. They worship Sithis, like the books say. They’ve got a top-down structure: the Night Mother, whatever she is, gives instructions to the Listener, who passes on the information to the Speakers. LaChance is a speaker. The Listener and the Speakers compose the Black Hand, which I guess is their council of leadership. From what LaChance was saying, I gathered that each Speaker is in charge of his own sanctuary. The Cheydinhal sanctuary is LaChance’s.”

“Anything else?”

“That’s about it. I should learn more when I go to Cheydinhal tomorrow. You know, provided I don’t have to kill everyone.”

This post has been edited by canis216: Jul 4 2009, 06:08 PM

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jan 14 2008, 12:39 AM
Post #23

Master
Group Icon

The plot thickens. I love the conversation about Sethyas as well. Good stuff!

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
Olen
post Jan 15 2008, 12:59 AM
Post #24

Mouth
Group Icon

Nice. I continue to watch with interest.

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Jan 16 2008, 01:28 AM
Post #25

Master
Group Icon

That was actually my line of reasoning too.....
+Quote Post
Marcel Rhodes
post Jan 17 2008, 06:17 AM
Post #26

Retainer

I really like what you've done with both the Nerevarine and Cosades here - I never did buy that rubbish about Akavir. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

--------------------
The Golden Galleon is a story, it is a lie, it is a legend, it is an urban myth; it is, indeed, many words and phrases which imply falsehood." - J'Dar, Leyawiin nationalist
+Quote Post
canis216
post Jan 17 2008, 07:10 AM
Post #27

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(Marcel Rhodes @ Jan 16 2008, 10:17 PM) *

I really like what you've done with both the Nerevarine and Cosades here - I never did buy that rubbish about Akavir. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Thank you much... and welcome to the forum.

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 17 2008, 08:33 AM
Post #28

Master
Group Icon

I always love Caius and Al together. They are so...I dunno....easygoing?

And I never believed the Akavir rumour either, though this is perhaps more because I simply can't see my Nerevarine going there without a VERY good reason.

I mean, seriously. Just what is in Akavir that the Nerevarine should be interested in? That continent hasn't been in the spotlight since the last invasion or so.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Marcel Rhodes
post Jan 17 2008, 09:07 AM
Post #29

Retainer

QUOTE(jack cloudy @ Jan 17 2008, 07:33 AM) *

Just what is in Akavir that the Nerevarine should be interested in? That continent hasn't been in the spotlight since the last invasion or so.

I apologise for cluttering the thread on this one, but the only reason I could ever think of would be sheer boredom. No-one knows about the place, after all, and once Dagoth Ur's been cast down, Almalexia's been taught a lesson and so forth, what else is there to do? Buy a farm?

I could never imagine my original character from the game heading there either though, so I might be much the same on my disbelief.

--------------------
The Golden Galleon is a story, it is a lie, it is a legend, it is an urban myth; it is, indeed, many words and phrases which imply falsehood." - J'Dar, Leyawiin nationalist
+Quote Post
canis216
post Jan 26 2008, 04:34 AM
Post #30

Knower
Group Icon

Journal of an Imperial Courier: Cheydinhal

I am exasperated. How could an organization so pathetic and trivial as the Dark Brotherhood have survived for so long?

Ah, but I should back up and start again, lest my thoughts lose order.

I arrived in Cheydinhal at about ten in the morning and proceeded directly to the battered old house to which LaChance had ordered me. The door was locked of course, but it was a lock of little consequence. I won’t anyone with much detail into the building’s interior, save to say that it was messy and dark, exactly as the Brotherhood intended for any intruders to see.

The basement was more interesting. A trail of dried blood lead to the foot of the Black Door, as LaChance called it. I suppose that it was designed to intimidate—the artwork consists of a great skull (Sithis, I imagine), and what I can only guess is the depiction of the Night Mother sacrificing her children to the aforementioned skull. I can’t say that I was impressed. But then, I grew up in Black Marsh—my people have seen too much to be taken aback by cheap tricks. Maybe all this display actually frightens the cyrodiils.

In any case, staring at the door wasn’t getting me anywhere. I tried to push it open. As expected, a disembodied voice (this actually scares the imperials?) asked me, “What is the color of night?” I was tempted to call out, “Black. Now let me the hell in, maudlin s’wits!” but I restrained myself and gave the correct answer, “Sanguine, my brother.” By the gods, I hate this assignment. By that point I was rather hoping that they would jump me, just so I could kill them and be done with all this nonsense.

The Black Door opened. I stepped inside and found that no pack of assassins waited to kill me, to my great disappointment. Instead I was greeted by a single female argonian—I guessed that she was a few years younger than I. She was smiling—until she saw my face.

“It’s—it can’t be. You. Heik-Auri. You’re the one who betrayed the Shadowscales. I should—“

I cut her off. “Yes, you should shut up. You don’t want to violate the Five Tenets, and I don’t want to paint the walls of this sanctuary with your blood.” I was lying about the second part.

We shared two minutes of awkward silence. I noted an armed and armored skeleton shambling about—some sort of sanctuary guard, undoubtedly. In the far corner was a small table with an adjoining bookcase—a blonde breton woman was seated by it, daydreaming. Pathetic rabble.

I broke the ice. “Who gives out the contracts?”

The dark sister stared at me coldly for a beat before answering, “Go and speak with Vicente Valtieri. He handles all assignments for new members. And take this armor—“

“Already picked some up in Morrowind,” I growled, walking by. I wasn’t hanging around in this place any longer than I had to. My job was to report suspicious contracts—period.

I found Vicente Valtieri at the end a long hallway. He looked… odd. I put it aside.

“Vicente? I understand that you supply the work.”

He smiled, revealing long fangs. A vampire—wonderful organization, this is. In any case, I think he saw the recognition in my eyes, and I think he enjoyed it.

“Warmest greetings to you. I trust you've already spoken with Ocheeva? I am Vicente Valtieri. I provide assignments for all new family members. Please, do not let my appearance... unnerve you. The needs and Tenets of the Dark Brotherhood come before my own needs as a vampire. Now, if you're ready to get to work, I can provide you with your first contract.”

“Of course I’m ready.” I forced a smile.

“Very good. I'm not sure how you feel about pirates, but you've got to kill one. A captain, in fact. On his ship. Surrounded by his crew. Interested?”

A pirate. Didn’t seem too problematic. “Yeah, I’ll accept the contract.”

“Excellent. Here is what you must do. Go to the Waterfront District of the Imperial City. There you will find a ship named the Marie Elena. Board the ship and find its captain, Gaston Tussaud. He'll be in his cabin. Eliminate Tussaud in any manner you see fit. The pirates have been moving a lot of cargo onboard lately. You may be able to smuggle yourself onboard in one of the packing crates.”

“Consider it done.”

I marched out fast as I could. Madness... Shadowscales, vampires, undead guardians, Black Doors... and none of them could tell that I was a spy.

This post has been edited by canis216: Jul 4 2009, 06:11 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Jan 26 2008, 09:30 AM
Post #31

Knower
Group Icon

Hm, a change of tense in the story. Interesting, though I think the story was a little more mysterious when it was in the third person, I mean it was somewhat more fresh and factual. Still you've retained your classical style and I can't but praise it. Love the intro the Brotherhood. Al must be made of though stuff since, in-game at least, I find that place to be quite scary. The entrance I mean, the actual sanctuary ain't that much of a wonder.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
Olen
post Jan 26 2008, 01:53 PM
Post #32

Mouth
Group Icon

Nice update. I suppose you get used to undead and disembodied voices... Certainly he has an amusing attitude.

I liked Vicente, you highlighted how excessive his dialogue is nicely against Al's rather grounded view.

--------------------
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 26 2008, 02:20 PM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

Heh, I absolutely love Al's cocky attitude.
He's all:,, Oh, come on people. Just stop showing off and give me something good."

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jan 28 2008, 04:10 AM
Post #34

Master
Group Icon

Things continue to move along nicely. Some fun lines by Al in this update.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
canis216
post Jan 28 2008, 05:03 AM
Post #35

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(Agent Griff @ Jan 26 2008, 01:30 AM) *

Hm, a change of tense in the story. Interesting, though I think the story was a little more mysterious when it was in the third person, I mean it was somewhat more fresh and factual. Still you've retained your classical style and I can't but praise it. Love the intro the Brotherhood. Al must be made of though stuff since, in-game at least, I find that place to be quite scary. The entrance I mean, the actual sanctuary ain't that much of a wonder.

Oh, I just like to mess around with different perspectives... so I think here I've established Al's journal, his written reports to Caius (a little drier than the journal, more operation-oriented), and the third person (atmospheric). I'll have to make sure I don't overreach...

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jan 30 2008, 03:42 AM
Post #36

Master
Group Icon

Always got to love Al's "Ohhh, scary! Not!" attitude. I like the change of pace in the writing- keeps it interesting.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Feb 3 2008, 05:44 PM
Post #37

Knower
Group Icon

I for one am I glad you changed tense. I write in first person as well I find it much easier. Good job, treydog...

--------------------
*Hey everyone, TES Fiction is looking to revamp its very talented group of writers. So, if you love to write (TES or non-TES), come on over! Whether its stories, poems, song lyrics, etc, it doesn't matter!*
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 5 2008, 12:17 AM
Post #38

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Nice as always Canis! Your Al really is a funny guy to read about....My favourite Lizzy

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Feb 12 2008, 08:59 AM
Post #39

Knower
Group Icon

Since I saw it mentioned in your story, I thought I'd ask you about it Canis. What exactly is a Shadowscale? It sounds like an intriguing character for roleplaying and I'm interested in creating just such a character to roleplay an assassin working for the Brotherhood.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post Feb 12 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #40

Master
Group Icon

Shadowscales are Argonians born under the sign of the shadow (self-explainitory when one knows its meaning). These children are taken at birth and trained as assassins (and if they live long enough to come of age, they are given to the Dark Brotherhood).

You find that out in the Dark Brotherhood plotline in OB.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:31 PM