8 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fallout76, Um... yeah.
Lopov
post May 17 2020, 05:53 PM
Post #121

Master
Group Icon

If I were single and without children, I'd try it out for sure, I'd probably even buy it. laugh.gif Now it doesn't make too much sense to get it, because I know that with another child on the way, my gaming time will decrease, not increase.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post May 20 2020, 10:25 AM
Post #122

Mouth
Group Icon

Unfortunately, I just didn't get around to trying out the free play weekend. I still got a bit of time to buy it on discount and I probably will, but I want to make sure I actually plan on playing it right away in case I want to refund it.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post May 23 2020, 10:37 PM
Post #123

Mouth
Group Icon

I bought the game about 6 minutes before the sale ended and finally tried it out this morning. It was about maybe an hour so that isn't much to go by, but here are some of my early impressions.
  • While I am not one to spend painstaking amounts of time tweaking every minute detail of my character, I still like having the option for it. When it comes to the body of your character, the character customization is pretty lacking. The only body customization is the thin/muscular/fat triangle. It's not like, for example, ESO where you can do all sorts of things to so many parts of the body.
  • While I am not one to spend painstaking amounts of time tweaking every minute detail of my character, I still like having the option for it. When it comes to the body of your character, the character customization is pretty lacking. The only body customization is the thin/muscular/fat triangle. It's not like, for example, ESO where you can do all sorts of things to so many parts of the body.
  • On the other hand, something that is pretty cool is that you can change a lot about your appearance at any time after you leave Vault 76. So for role-playing purposes, you could add a couple scars to your character to indicate that they had been in a tough fight or remove scars to signify healing over time. It's not something I really thought of before, but I really like the addition even though I probably will use it little if ever. There is also a pretty good amount of facial customization when you create your character.
  • It's somewhat of a minor issue, but some menu controls are kind of unintuitive. To get to the main menu, you first press ESC as usual, but that takes you to your map. THEN you press Z or click on "Menu" in the top-left corner. Doesn't make sense to me, but whatever.
  • Fallout 76 seems to be better optimized than Fallout 4, the latter of which sometimes has FPS slowdowns in places it really shouldn't have had. My computer isn't some Uber l33t G4mer Pro beast, but it shouldn't have had many problems in that regard with Fallout 4. It's more understandable with 76 since it is about a year or so newer than my laptop. But I digress.
  • I don't like the aesthetics of the map, but that is a minor gripe. It's a little too...cartoony, for lack of a better word, for my taste. It doesn't need to look like it is on the Pip-Boy and I'm perfectly fine with adding some flavor to it, but whatever. Maybe it'll grow on me, though: I've barely explored the map so far.
  • While I think Fallout 4's dialogue wheel could've been improved, I think it is for the better that the dialogue system is back to being more like Fallout 3's, though so far I haven't found too different of options in dialogue (e.g. "good," "neutral," "jerk"). I'm sure it'll be different as I go along.
  • One (possible) step back regarding dialogue, though--although I've only been in two conversations that apply to this--is that dialogue with multiple NPCs is stilted when the NPCs talk to each other. When I say stilted, I mean there can be a longer pause between two different NPCs talking to each other than there should be. Fallout 4 did an excellent job in this regard, from what I remember. I add the "possible" caveat in case this isn't actually the case throughout the game.
  • I like the addition of needing food and water to survive and it doesn't seem to be obnoxious. It's hard to strike a good balance between obnoxious and trivial for survival mechanics, so it likes it'll be good here.
  • There's a bit of a delay whenever I click to pick up or interact with something, which can get annoying. On the other hand, a cool addition they have is that, if you hold E, you can use certain items right away. Stimpak or Radaway sitting on a table? You can use it immediately instead of putting it in your inventory and finding it or even having to go through a hotkey. Particularly nice for schematics that you pick up.
Some other things I have barely been able to get into like using the C.A.M.P.--which is the analog to Fallout's 4 settlement workbenches, but you can shift where you place the C.A.M.P. for just 5 caps--and perk trees. Thus, I don't think there is nearly enough for anyone here to go by to see if they would like the game. But I'm hopeful. We'll have to see where this goes from here.

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: May 23 2020, 10:40 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 24 2020, 12:34 AM
Post #124

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ May 23 2020, 05:37 PM) *

I bought the game about 6 minutes before the sale ended and finally tried it out this morning. It was about maybe an hour so that isn't much to go by, but here are some of my early impressions.
  • On the other hand, something that is pretty cool is that you can change a lot about your appearance at any time after you leave Vault 76. So for role-playing purposes, you could add a couple scars to your character to indicate that they had been in a tough fight or remove scars to signify healing over time. It's not something I really thought of before, but I really like the addition even though I probably will use it little if ever. There is also a pretty good amount of facial customization when you create your character.
  • It's somewhat of a minor issue, but some menu controls are kind of unintuitive. To get to the main menu, you first press ESC as usual, but that takes you to your map. THEN you press Z or click on "Menu" in the top-left corner. Doesn't make sense to me, but whatever.
  • Fallout 76 seems to be better optimized than Fallout 4, the latter of which sometimes has FPS slowdowns in places it really shouldn't have had. My computer isn't some Uber l33t G4mer Pro beast, but it shouldn't have had many problems in that regard with Fallout 4. It's more understandable with 76 since it is about a year or so newer than my laptop. But I digress.
  • I don't like the aesthetics of the map, but that is a minor gripe. It's a little too...cartoony, for lack of a better word, for my taste. It doesn't need to look like it is on the Pip-Boy and I'm perfectly fine with adding some flavor to it, but whatever. Maybe it'll grow on me, though: I've barely explored the map so far.
  • While I think Fallout 4's dialogue wheel could've been improved, I think it is for the better that the dialogue system is back to being more like Fallout 3's, though so far I haven't found too different of options in dialogue (e.g. "good," "neutral," "jerk"). I'm sure it'll be different as I go along.
  • One (possible) step back regarding dialogue, though--although I've only been in two conversations that apply to this--is that dialogue with multiple NPCs is stilted when the NPCs talk to each other. When I say stilted, I mean there can be a longer pause between two different NPCs talking to each other than there should be. Fallout 4 did an excellent job in this regard, from what I remember. I add the "possible" caveat in case this isn't actually the case throughout the game.
  • I like the addition of needing food and water to survive and it doesn't seem to be obnoxious. It's hard to strike a good balance between obnoxious and trivial for survival mechanics, so it likes it'll be good here.
  • There's a bit of a delay whenever I click to pick up or interact with something, which can get annoying. On the other hand, a cool addition they have is that, if you hold E, you can use certain items right away. Stimpak or Radaway sitting on a table? You can use it immediately instead of putting it in your inventory and finding it or even having to go through a hotkey. Particularly nice for schematics that you pick up.
Some other things I have barely been able to get into like using the C.A.M.P.--which is the analog to Fallout's 4 settlement workbenches, but you can shift where you place the C.A.M.P. for just 5 caps--and perk trees. Thus, I don't think there is nearly enough for anyone here to go by to see if they would like the game. But I'm hopeful. We'll have to see where this goes from here.

I have always hated the Fallout maps; they are all horribly unreadable to me.

On the NPC's conversations = All that was just added to the game recently; so I do have hope they will improve that.

Thank you for the review of the game; I have really been wondering = but still holding out. I didn't buy it this sale; but probably will eventually. On the "Camp" = watch Juggernaut's Fallout 76 vids on building camps; he is amazing! I used his tips in Fallout 4; they made a huge difference in my settlements.

This post has been edited by mALX: May 24 2020, 12:35 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 24 2020, 01:38 PM
Post #125

Ancient
Group Icon

One of my biggest hopes for 76 was that eventually they would create single player content, and have private worlds where you can play without other players around. I got annoyed the other day when I noticed that the private worlds are only going to be accessible by paying for a subscription (Fallout First). Maybe I’m not fully understanding it so someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but paying extra for an after thought single player experience? If that’s the case then it definitely looks like 76 will never be for me.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 24 2020, 02:26 PM
Post #126

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ May 24 2020, 08:38 AM) *

One of my biggest hopes for 76 was that eventually they would create single player content, and have private worlds where you can play without other players around. I got annoyed the other day when I noticed that the private worlds are only going to be accessible by paying for a subscription (Fallout First). Maybe I’m not fully understanding it so someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but paying extra for an after thought single player experience? If that’s the case then it definitely looks like 76 will never be for me.

Yes, that is one of the things I like about the way ESO was done = Players can't attack you anywhere but in Cyrodiil; and you can set your game to automatically decline any duel invites anywhere else. You have to actually seek PvP if you want it. Plus = in ESO other Players can't bother your houses.

I don't know if it is true or not; but I have heard that other Players can actually destroy your "camps" in 76; and that they can gang up and harass another Player (although from what I've seen; they do get banned for doing that).

But = from what I've heard; they only allow something like 20 players on each instance of the game; so at least they can't come at you in a horde or zerg, lol. I am pretty sure that it is exactly how World of Warcraft did it too; (back when my son played it years ago). They had 20 person "parties" if I remember correctly.

I will really be interested in hearing Rader's thoughts on this game to be able to really decide if I want to try it or not.

This post has been edited by mALX: May 24 2020, 02:26 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post May 24 2020, 08:41 PM
Post #127

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ May 23 2020, 07:34 PM) *

I have always hated the Fallout maps; they are all horribly unreadable to me.

On the NPC's conversations = All that was just added to the game recently; so I do have hope they will improve that.

Thank you for the review of the game; I have really been wondering = but still holding out. I didn't buy it this sale; but probably will eventually. On the "Camp" = watch Juggernaut's Fallout 76 vids on building camps; he is amazing! I used his tips in Fallout 4; they made a huge difference in my settlements.

Well, I really wouldn't call it a review yet, but I think there is a good chance I'll like it.

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ May 24 2020, 08:38 AM) *

A lot of content IS single player, though, both from what I have heard and what I have played. It's sort of like ESO in that sense. There's only 25 people per world and even in the two times I encountered someone, they quickly were gone.

Well, I mean, to an extent I get having to pay a subscription in order to get the private servers. But overall, I feel ambivalent about it. On one hand, it is kind of lame and feels more like just another way to get money out of players after all the nonsense that had been going on before then, and I'm not sure that it is worth THAT much money to get a private server. On the other hand, I imagine keeping up that many servers ain't cheap, there are few players per world in the first place, and they don't necessarily HAVE to have private servers available for an MMO.

If I enjoy it enough and I play it enough, I'll consider getting a private server that we can all play on. (Who knows, if enough of us play there could be a way to split the cost of the server.) If so, maybe you'll think about trying it out as well, although obviously you'd have to decide whether to drop money to get the game in the first place.

QUOTE(mALX @ May 24 2020, 09:26 AM) *

Yes, that is one of the things I like about the way ESO was done = Players can't attack you anywhere but in Cyrodiil; and you can set your game to automatically decline any duel invites anywhere else. You have to actually seek PvP if you want it. Plus = in ESO other Players can't bother your houses.

I don't know if it is true or not; but I have heard that other Players can actually destroy your "camps" in 76; and that they can gang up and harass another Player (although from what I've seen; they do get banned for doing that).

But = from what I've heard; they only allow something like 20 players on each instance of the game; so at least they can't come at you in a horde or zerg, lol. I am pretty sure that it is exactly how World of Warcraft did it too; (back when my son played it years ago). They had 20 person "parties" if I remember correctly.

I will really be interested in hearing Rader's thoughts on this game to be able to really decide if I want to try it or not.

From what I understand, players now cannot hurt you at all unless you attack back. Or maybe it was that you both have to agree to a duel like in ESO. I did get a message once that said my workshop was under attack, but I saw absolutely nobody there and I barely had anything up anyway.

Yes, it is only 25 people per world. You can actually see them on your maps as little dots, although I don't know if you can change that in settings or change your own visibility. That's a good decision on their part, not just because of potential griefing and trolling but because too many players would be detrimental to the atmosphere of a Fallout game.

Well, I also have to keep in mind that the kind of things I'm looking for in the game are not going to all be the same kind of things that others are looking for, so I'm trying to give an honest chance from what I think others' perspectives will be. I think I'm going to like the game, but I'll need to play more before I can decide whether anyone else here will want to play it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post May 25 2020, 11:44 PM
Post #128

Councilor
Group Icon

Awesome, thanks for your honest assessment, Rader. smile.gif You really went into detail about a lot of things I like to pay attention to, such as character customization. Still waiting to hear what NPC combat is like. But your few instances with other players don't sound too bad.

I've read all sorts of things about 76 in the new forums up until this past winter: good things and bad. I haven't been keeping up these past few months, though I do remember reading about players invading other player camps. Overall, this is rather rare. And invaders do get banned, as long as they are reported. Most folks seemed respectful, though.

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post May 26 2020, 10:18 PM
Post #129

Mouth
Group Icon

Glad you mentioned combat, Renee, because that is one of my next critiques.
  • Sometimes, NPCs in combat are insanely stupid. Like, absolute buffoons. Granted, I've really only fought low-level enemies, this has mostly applied to feral ghouls and the Scorched, and my light armor and lightning may factor in too. But there have been too many times where enemies should absolutely notice me but react slowly. On the other hand, Scorched have demonstrated a pretty decent capability of taking cover. Also haven't had much challenge in fights, but like I said, it's still early on and these have mostly been low-level enemies.
  • Equipment degradation is back. Fallout 3's and perhaps more so New Vegas's systems often became more of a chore than an interesting mechanic, but so far I like how 76 has handled it. It's not obnoxious or tedious but it's not superfluous either. It adds to the survival feel. Whether that holds up at higher levels I don't know, but right now I like it.
  • Crafting: There's actually good reason to use it! I found it pretty useless in New Vegas and 4, as you could find pretty much all you needed by adventuring or possibly just buying them if you really had to. Careful about food, though, because it can spoil in your inventory is you go too long with it.
  • For all Bethesda's flaws, they excel at making exploration fun and having interesting side stories, especially through environmental storytelling. 76 is no different. I won't go into too much detail, but one example is a aide quest involving college students making a new drink called NukaShine just before the Great War, which mixes Quantum with some extra stuff including a "special" secret ingredient that you must discover. It also features an amusing, drunk Robobrain named Biv. E. Ridge and he sounds far different than any Robobrain you have heard before.
  • i have only explored a small fraction of Appalachia, but what I have seen is gorgeous. Obviously, yes, graphics are part of it, but it's more than that. Design goes beyond just pretty pixels. And West Virginia may be my favorite Bethesda-designed environment yet.
  • The main story so for is pretty meh. Not bad, but not that interesting, at least not yet. But FWIW, it arguably nudges you less to do it than the main quest for 3 or 4, if that is important to you.
  • I'm not sure what I think of the perk system yet. I'll discuss it more later.
  • Radaway and chems weigh a bit more than in Fallout 4 and now Simpaks have weight. I think that is a great choice for a Fallout MMO so you don't stockpile them. And I honestly probably wouldn't mind if they did it for the next singleplayer Fallout either. You can take some perks to reduce their weight, though.
  • I've put a total of about 5 minutes into my C.A.M.P. so I can't tell you much, but I can tell you that, similarly to ESO, you now have to find plans to learn before making a C.A.M.P., although there will be a few plans you know right off the bat. I think this is another improvement overall.

Anybody who tells you it's just Fallout 4 multiplayer is lying and giving you a falae impression, or they somehow forgot how 4 works. Sure, there are a bunch of similarities, but I've already encountered quite a bunch of key differences already. That said, if you do like Fallout 4 there is a good chance you will like 76. Even if you didn't like 4, 76 is different enough that you might like it still.

---‐-------------‐----‐‐-------------------

Overall, I've enjoyed my 11 or so hours of playing the game and I am optimistic about the rest of the game. But I'm still not sure how much I would recommend it to the ladies and gents here at Chorrol. I do have a sense of what you all like, but it would help my decisions in that regard if you all give some criteria that you are looking for. What are the most important things for you in a Fallout game (e.g. lore, roleplaying, setting)? Please also try to be somewhat specific when possible, such as what you did and didn't like about 3/NV/4. If that makes sense.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 27 2020, 12:51 AM
Post #130

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ May 26 2020, 04:18 PM) *
*snip*

Thank you for continuing to post your thoughts on 76 as you go along Rader. Can you go into a bit of detail about how building is implemented? Do the camps disappear if you exit the game?

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post May 27 2020, 04:47 PM
Post #131

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ May 26 2020, 07:51 PM) *

*snip*

Thank you for continuing to post your thoughts on 76 as you go along Rader. Can you go into a bit of detail about how building is implemented? Do the camps disappear if you exit the game?

Ah, now the latter question of this I CAN answer. When you log back in and the game puts you in a world, you will get a prompt that tells you that your C.A.M.P. could not be placed and it will give you an option to either 1) stay in that world or 2) put you in a world where there is room for your C.A.M.P. where you last placed it.

You can also move the C.A.M.P. during gameplay. When you go into your map, you can see at the bottom-left of your screen the key to move your base (I think it was "z"). You have to pay a few caps to move it, but it is a meager amount. Not sure if it scales to your level, though, because I think it went up from 5 caps at the beginning to now 8 caps. Still, don't need to pay much.

I'll try to get into the building aspect more the next time I log on. Then I can better answer those questions.

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: May 27 2020, 04:47 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 27 2020, 09:16 PM
Post #132

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ May 27 2020, 10:47 AM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ May 26 2020, 07:51 PM) *

*snip*

Ah, now the latter question of this I CAN answer. When you log back in and the game puts you in a world, you will get a prompt that tells you that your C.A.M.P. could not be placed and it will give you an option to either 1) stay in that world or 2) put you in a world where there is room for your C.A.M.P. where you last placed it.

You can also move the C.A.M.P. during gameplay. When you go into your map, you can see at the bottom-left of your screen the key to move your base (I think it was "z"). You have to pay a few caps to move it, but it is a meager amount. Not sure if it scales to your level, though, because I think it went up from 5 caps at the beginning to now 8 caps. Still, don't need to pay much.

I'll try to get into the building aspect more the next time I log on. Then I can better answer those questions.

That is interesting that you can tell it to go to a world in which your base will fit. I would hate to know I worked really hard on a base just to have it disappear upon leaving the game.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: May 27 2020, 09:17 PM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post May 28 2020, 09:41 PM
Post #133

Mouth
Group Icon

Haven't played again since I last posted here due to ESO: Greymoor's release, but there are a few other things that I have thought about.
  • I cannot fathom why you have to sell each individual item you want to sell to NPC vendors instead of having it done in one whole transaction. Fallout 3/NV/4 had no trouble making it possible to buy and sell multiple things in a single transaction, so why is it being tedious here? I don't know, maybe it has to do with this not being the main BGS studio, yet main BGS couldn't implement it in Oblivion or Skyrim either! I'm pretty sure Morrowind let you do it in one go too.
  • I've also read that trading with players is easily exploitable by scammers because, if you are trading instead of selling for caps, apparently you trade one item back and forth at a time. That's really stupid. Why would it be done that way? But I have not interacted with other players at all, so I can't go from experience on this one.
  • I'm nowhere close to this, but there is also a cap on your caps (ba-dum-tss) that you can hold. The maximum number of caps in your inventory at any given time is 30,000. Why? I guess it prevents the economy from being broken, but it also feels rather arbitrary to me.
  • I've thought some more about the perk system in here and I don't know what to think of it. I don't hate it, but I'm not really a fan either. The way it works is that your character starts off with 1 in every S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stat. Sure, that's fine. Every time you level up, you pick one S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stat to increase by 1 and then you have several perk cards that you can choose from. Again, I suppose that's fine, but this next part is leading up to where I start to feel ambivalent. Sometimes you can pick up perk card packs from doing content, but you can only have a certain number of cards active depending on a given stat's level. The number, level, and rank of your cards factor into this. Here's what I mean by those three words:

-----Number: Total number of cards you can have at a given time
    -----Level: What minimum stat level that perk can be taken at
    -----Rank: Whether or not the card has been improved by stacking the same effect on it; for example, the 1st rank of a card might be "+10% damage with non-automatic pistols" and the 2nd rank might make it "+20% damage with non-automatic pistols

If you rank up a card, it counts as two cards, which I suppose works fine. So for example, if your Strength is 2, you can have 2 Strength-type cards at rank 1 (the cards might be either or both for Strength 1 or 2), or 1 Strength-type card at rank 2 (i.e., improved the effect from rank 1).

But HERE is where I become a bit ambivalent. If you have an excess of cards for a given stat in your inventory, you can mix-and-match which perks you choose after you've equipped them, too. So for example, if I have a Luck of 1, and I have equipped a card that increases the chance to find extra ammo in containers, I can swap that out with a card that increases the chance to find extra chems. If you are wondering why I am on the fence, here is why: On one hand, this gives a lot freedom to the player to change things up and doesn't hard-lock them into choices that may not work out. On the other hand, player freedom needs to have the line drawn somewhere even in a Bethesda game and choices need to matter. Plus from a logic standpoint (I know, we're talking about logic in vidya games here), that's kind of absurd that your character would magically forget something, suddenly learn something else, and then could just unlearn that new thing out of nowhere and relearn the old thing in such a fashion.

I don't know if or how much the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. and perk system changes in this regard later on in the game. I don't even know how high up your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. can go. The previous games, with very few exceptions in specific situations, capped each at 10, implying a max level of 100 in this game yet I have seen players have WAY higher levels than that on my map. From what I understand, you increase one of your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats by 1 at every level up, but maybe that isn't the case. Therefore, I want to add the disclaimer that I don't know the entirety of how leveling works.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 30 2020, 02:58 PM
Post #134

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ May 28 2020, 03:41 PM) *
*snip*

NGL, that perk card system sounds like a mess. Perhaps it will get better as you play?

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Jul 2 2020, 11:24 PM
Post #135

Mouth
Group Icon

I played some more in the past week or so, and I've finally reached a verdict on whether I think you (as in all of you) would enjoy the game. But first, I explored the C.A.M.P. feature a bit more. Not too in-depth yet, but a decent amount that I can at least speak on it some.
  • There is a wide variety of things you can craft and it seems to be much more than Fallout 4, which should be expected. There are also more categories for types of things you can craft. However, the navigation of the menus to find what you want to build is somewhat cumbersome. On the plus side, you can toggle a function that ONLY shows you the furnishings that you have learned the plans for, or have the full range of options shown so that you can see if there is something else you want to hunt down the building plans for.
  • Each furnishing you want to build also has a bunch of variants in style, giving you more options for building. However, there seems to be at least one downside to this: Things that should be their own separate option are actually a variant of another type of building piece. I say this because when I was looking for a doorway, I couldn't find it as its own separate thing, but rather as a variant for a plain wall. That's IIRC, at least. Just...why? I was getting annoyed that I couldn't find a wall with a doorway and then happened to find it by flipping through variants because I was also trying to build something else.
  • This isn't solely C.A.M.P.-related, but it is relevant. When you go to a workbench of any type, there is an option to scrap all junk, which is convenient.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now, for my verdict. I do like this game, I really do. Maybe I'm just a sucker for more Fallout, but I think there is some real potential for this game and there is a good foundation to build upon...

...But as much as it pains me to say it, based on what I know of the gaming preferences of other Chorrolites here, I don't believe any of you would enjoy the game. As a result, I cannot honestly recommend that any of you buy this game. Not at full price, at least. Maybe if a sale bumped it down to $20 I would say give it a try, but certainly not at the sale for $30 that I got or the full price of $40. It sucks, because this is my second-favorite franchise (behind The Elder Scrolls) and I would love to be able to get together in the world of Fallout.

The overarching problem is that this game is waaaay too rough around the edges. The gameplay design itself is pretty decent, but the game severely lacks polish in a lot of places. Some examples:
  • After the great strides Fallout 4 made in the flow of dialogue between characters and between you and NPCs, Fallout 76 regresses on this front severely. I got to be honest...it's pretty bad. Often there are strange pauses in conversation. Hell, I routinely have an NPC say something to me and over 5 seconds and sometimes even 10 seconds pass it finally gives me the list of dialogue options to choose from. Holo tapes have quite often had weird, long pauses between characters conversing with each other, although less so when you actually encounter them in conversation at least.
  • The overall AI can be incredibly stupid. It seems to actually get better, even decent, if you encounter a sizable group of them or they are a decent level, so maybe it is just a matter of enemy difficulty. But way too often have enemies taken way longer to notice me than they should, or they notice me but take forever to actually respond. This has mostly been the case with the Scorched and Feral Ghouls, though. Robots have been much better about it, such as the tiny "MK [number] Liberator" machines that the Chinese government planted in the area Pre-War and that you sometimes enter combat with.
  • It takes a good 5+ seconds, whenever you get out of a loading screen, for you to be able to actually move. The camera fades in, but you can't move until it completely fades back in. It gets very annoying. In 3 and NV, it was instantaneous (although maybe that wasn't the case when they first came out; I played them way after). In 4, it could be a little bit bothersome, but nothing too bad. For whatever reason, though, 76 is obnoxious about it.

There are some other things I can't remember at the moment, but there is a very noticeable lack of polish. Some might even call it "unfinished" but I don't think that it the right word here. Not now, at least. Sometimes "unfinished" and "lack of polish" can be the same thing, but I think in this case it is just the latter. And boy, is there a lot of polish that is needed.

But there are some things going for it that I can point out. As always with BGS games (even though this isn't the regular studio), there is a lot of interesting lore and exploration and the setting is appealing and a nice change from the kinds of places you usually see in video games set in the real world. I want to see more of what is out there. They got more creative with the enemy types they have in the game as well, and there are still plenty that I haven't encountered yet because I am still a pretty low level (e.g. the Mothman, Radtoads, Scorchbeasts).

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Jul 2 2020, 11:25 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Jan 28 2021, 02:28 PM
Post #136

Mouth
Group Icon

I have over 200 hours in Fallout 76 now and I've definitely enjoyed it even with all the gripes I still have. I'll go into more detail later if I remember to, but here are some more quick hits.

1) I've tried Nuclear Winter and...it's actually really fun. I was hesitant at first to play it, but it's neat.

2) I have, not once, had a player try to grief me. There have been a couple annoyances where extremely high-level players have stupidly high-damaging builds that kill things in one or two shots for certain Events (basically quests that happen sporadically and can be done any time they spawn) leaving you unable to get XP for kills, but that has been extremely rare.

3) Let's talk about the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. perk card system a bit again. For the kind of game Fallout 76 is, I don't mind it. Any single special stat maxes out at 15. Temporary boosts from food, chems, drinks, etc. can increase the max to 20. But for the purposes of the perk cards, it is limited to whatever the stat number is. I maxed out Intelligence at 15, for example, and my perk cards equipped at any given time can only have a max value of 15.

There is sort of a similarity to ESO in that Level 50 is a major benchmark. Once you hit level 50, you can equip a Legendary perk card, which are special perks that you can only get past Level 50. I am at level 156/157 currently, so I got Legendary perk cards for levels 50, 75, 100, and 150. (I believe 200 and 300 are the last times I can get a Legendary perk card). Each legendary perk card can be leveled up 4 times with perk coins. Perk coins are earned by scrapping regular perk cards you already own, which are easy to obtain again when you level up. Speaking of, when you level up past 50, you get the option of either picking another perk card or switching a point from one S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stat to another.

And to reiterate, you can change out regular perk cards on the fly (NOT Legendary ones, though, as those are choices that you live with as soon as you make them). From a logic standpoint, it's kind of goofy. How do you magically unlearn and relearn a skill? But from a gameplay standpoint, this is very helpful. Have a bunch of perk cards to increase automatic rifle damage but you want to use a shotgun for some time? Switch out the cards for those that increase shotgun damage, spread, reload speed, etc.

One last thing: Automatic Tesla Rifle with quadruple ammo capacity, 25% faster reload speed, and [I forget what the other legendary perk is]? Magnificent. *chef's kiss* Initially I just named it Death Ray but then I came up with a better, more original name: Jazz Hands.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Feb 8 2021, 02:01 PM
Post #137

Councilor
Group Icon

Cool, I am glad one of us is exploring 76. I went though a phase last year when I really wanted to try it (this was when I was involved with ESO) but Fallout is my second love compared to Elder Scrolls. Maybe one of these days...

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Jan 28 2021, 08:28 AM) *

2) I have, not once, had a player try to grief me.

Yes, from what I've read, stuff like this rarely happens nowadays. It's just like in the early days of a lot of games--some gamers don't know what the boundaries are, or something. After awhile, these sort of players move on, I guess.

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Feb 12 2021, 06:50 PM
Post #138

Mouth
Group Icon

Fallout 76 is currently on sale for a whopping 67% off.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1151340/Fallout_76/

I'm not sure what the Deluxe Edition is about, but the Steel Dawn update comes with the regular game already. Wastelanders and Steel Dawn were free updates. I assume the Deluxe Edition includes atoms and some in-game goodies. In any case, the regular edition is only $13.19. I think it will be worth it for you all to give it a try, as long as $13.19 isn't a big deal to spend for you (I don't want to make any assumptions about people's economic situations).

Hopefully, I'll see you all in game at some point. If you do, you log in with your Bethesda account (even if you aren't going through the Bethesda launcher). If you don't have one, it looks like it just generates a long, random series of letters and numbers when you make an account based on usernames I have seen elsewhere.

EDIT: The offer ends on February 15th. I'd even be willing to gift a copy to someone if they are on the fence about it. I hope I get to encounter another Chorrolite in Appalachia!

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Feb 12 2021, 11:29 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Jun 1 2021, 01:49 PM
Post #139

Master
Group Icon

I started up a new guy in Appalachia over the weekend, so I figured I'd share my thoughts on the game thus far.

I played for a couple few hours over the weekend, but didn't get much further than the around The Wayward. C.A.M.P. feature is nice and I look forward to finding the perfect spot for a home.

They added some nice quality of life features, like scrapping all junk at any workbench. You can also create new, and repair existing armors and weapons at their respective benches. Repairing isn't dumb like in 3 or NV, though - you can use repair kits (haven't found one yet) or components from junk.

You can also find blueprints and recipes all over the place for crafting and cooking. NPCs are a welcome addition, too, as the last time I tried the game out was before the update that brought wastelanders. The world seems more alive now.

I'm digging the environment, too, because it's a nice break from everything being dead or a desert. I've found plenty of the great little details Bethesda worlds have and I'm looking forward to exploring the huge map!

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
Kane
post Jun 7 2021, 01:52 PM
Post #140

Master
Group Icon

Appalachia was active on Saturday evening. Three nukes went off in the span of 15 minutes, and one was close enough to Amos that he could see the lingering dust cloud from his location in Summersville. There must have been a number of teams out having fun.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:07 PM