Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy the Bowgirl, Book 1, Thread 5, Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?
Acadian
post Jul 29 2011, 01:24 PM
Post #1

Paladin
Group Icon

Welcome to Thread 5 - the fifth and final season of Buffy's Book 1!

This book began with Buffy being imprisoned in the Imperial City, and will end as she attempts to bring freedom to the city of Kvatch. It is a sprawling story that will require more than 150 episodes, spread over five threads. Appropriately, I have nicknamed Book 1, 'Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?'

Thread 1 included Episodes 1-26.

Thread 2 began with a brief recap of thread one, then included Episodes 27-56.

Thread 3 began with a brief recap of thread two, then included Episodes 57-84.

Thread 4 began with a brief recap of thread three, then included Episodes 85-122.

Please allow me to offer a small summary of our previous thread that I hope might prove useful as a review, or for those who are joining us in progress:

Thread four consisted entirely of a massive storyline called The Tournament of Archers. Buffy spent nine days in Bravil as she awaited word from the Council of Mages as to whether they would approve assistance for Kvatch. She used the time to catch up with old friends, make new ones, solve a mystery, right a wrong and compete in the annual tournament to decide the champion archer of Cyrodiil.

Now, for those newer readers who would like to catch up to us in one short sitting, you might find this helpful: Buffy – The Executive Summary Thread.

We now join Buffy as she arrives at the Arcane University to learn if her guild is willing to provide some aid for the besieged city of Kvatch. Buffy has vowed to help Savlian Matius free his burning city or die in the attempt. She will deliver on her promise in this thread.

123 Little Elves in the Big City

"Good afternoon. Can I help you?" The question came from a young-looking wood elf seated behind a desk in the administrative office of the University.

I found myself staring at the lavender hair spilling over green fabric that draped her shoulders. The striking locks framed a face dominated by large eyes that were deep violet in color. She had a small nose and her mouth (like my own) was too wide. "My name's Buffy and I'm hoping you have a bed available for couple nights?"

"I'm called Malin." The elf rose to her feet to reveal she was no taller than I and that her robe had been tailored to fit more like a dress than a bag. She offered a hand across the desk as we appraised each other and said, "It's not often I meet someone as short as I. Oh, I'm a student here working part time in the offices to help pay my way."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Malin." Smiling, I released her hand. "Yes, it's quite refreshing to speak with someone eye-to-eye for a change."

Her fingers sought a nearby drawer and deftly traveled over the files within. "Hmm, Baeralorn, Boderi Farano, Bothiel, Borrissean . . . here it is - Buffy." She placed what I presumed to be my folder on the desk and opened it. "I see you're a graduate holding the rank of Apprentice. I'm sorry, but I can only put Journeymen or higher into staff apartments. If you don't mind staying in the student boarding area though, we certainly have a bed for you to use." Turning to a cupboard behind her, she produced a blanket. "It's been getting cool at night so you'll probably want this."

Accepting the blanket, I said, "Thank you, any bed will be fine. I have business with Raminus Polus after the next Council of Mages meeting. Can you tell me when it's scheduled?"

"That meeting was this morning." Still on her feet, Malin leaned over an open journal on her desk and flipped through several pages. "The Headmaster has a very full schedule for the rest of today." Her quill hovered over a page as she studied it, "Can I put you down to see him tomorrow morning?"

"That would be most helpful," I said, repressing a sigh at the delay.

"Consider it done." The elf dipped her quill into a pewter inkpot. After making an entry in the journal, she turned her attention back to my file. "Buffy, I see your annual guild fee is due next month. You can pay that at any branch or course, but while you're here, would you like to take care of it now?"

"Oh, that's a good idea," I replied, reaching for my coin purse. As I fished out the required gold, I realized how optimistic I was being. Considering that I was determined to go to Kvatch soon, would I even be alive in a month - much less a year?

She accepted my gold and applied her quill briefly to my file. "All set until Evening Star after next."

"You've been most kind, Malin," I remarked. "Tell me, how do like the University?"

"I love it," she replied. "I'm so glad to be free from living in trees."

"Really? You don't care for the forests?" I asked.

"Ugh, no! They're full of . . . nature. I was born in a treetop village north of Arenthia. All the women of my tribe are as small as you or I. Well, as soon as I was old enough, my shaman suggested I travel to the capital city of Elden Root and join the guild of mages there. It's not a big city like here, but at least most of the buildings are firmly on the ground. As soon I completed my recommendations from the various Valenwood guild branches, I headed straight for Woodhearth and swam out to the first ship headed from Anvil to The Imperial City. No more trees for this little city elf."

"What type of mage do you hope to become?" I asked.

"I'm a singer and a dancer," she declared. No doubt in response to my curious look, she continued, "Birds taught me to sing when I was young and, of course, learning how not to fall from high branches makes one pretty nimble. I'm studying illusion and destruction so I can create fancy light shows for dance productions. I want to be a famous entertainer one day."

"How wonderful!" I replied. "I love to sing, and my guild mates in Bravil tell me I have a pleasing voice for it." Remembering Acadian's advice about Savlian, I added, "Oh, and I hope to learn to dance someday."

Malin grinned, raised one arm gracefully and performed an elegant twirl. "Well then, we shall have to sing and perhaps dance together sometime. Oh, before you go, let me check to see if you have any messages." She looked through several boxes on the shelves behind her. "Here's a letter for you."

As I accepted the folded and sealed parchment, I said, "Thank you, Malin. It was wonderful meeting you. I'd best go settle in now and let you get back to work. I've had a long journey and am looking forward to spending some time this afternoon soaking in the University bath house."

I then made my way to the apartment of Boderi Farano, that I might pay a courtesy call on the Dunmer. There was no answer at her door. Asking around, I learned that she had been in meetings with the Council much of the morning and in the Headmaster's office all afternoon.

After finding my temporary quarters, I tugged off my boots and plopped onto the bed. I then examined the letter Malin had given me. The wax bore an imprint of what looked like a pair of crossed swords beneath a crown. I broke the seal.

Buffy,

You are a hard elf to track down. It was finally the recent Courier article about the Tournament of Archers that confirmed you are still alive and a member of the Guild of Mages. I made my way to the Arcane University as quickly as I could, where they confirmed your membership. I managed to speak to the headmaster there, who assured me that you were soon expected.

My name is Baurus and I hope you remember me. I was one of the Blades assigned to the Emperor when he was assassinated. It is urgent that I speak with you regarding his last words.

You have my assurance that nothing you may tell me will result in your arrest or confinement by either the Legion or the Blades.

While here in The Imperial City, I shall be staying in the Elven Gardens District. You may find me each evening in the tavern at Luther Broad's Boarding House. In case you do not clearly recall my appearance or recognize me without armor, I am a Redguard and will have the katana of a Blade within reach.

I beseech you in the name of Talos to grant my request. Again, I promise you safe passage after we meet regardless of what you may tell me.

In continuing service to the Emperor,

Baurus

I remembered the Blade named Baurus well, and his letter made me quite nervous that he might think I had something to do with the death of Jauffre. Yet, he had saved my life after the Emperor's assassin turned on me so long ago. He had also removed any record of my imprisonment and trusted me to complete the Emperor's task. What I mostly recalled about Baurus though was that the brave Redguard had been kind to me when he could have easily tossed me right back into a prison cell.

After much debate, some of it directed at Acadian during a long bath that afternoon, I decided to trust Baurus' word that he would not arrest me. In fact, I hoped he would believe my story and that I might be able to tell him something that could be of help to him.

I fretted over my clothes until finally stepping into a skirt of burgundy velvet. Its hem was trimmed in purple, just a shade darker than the blouse I dropped over my head. After strapping on some black sandals, I slipped into a black silk vest and laced it up. I pulled a brush through my hair several times, then tied a portion of it back with a ribbon. Figuring some credibility wouldn't hurt, I slid on my Leyawiin Court ring.

Once outside the University, I paused on the bridge leading to the city while I admired the breathtaking view down into the Valley of the Horses. Several animals grazed on the lush bounty below. A pair of imps hovered halfway up the canyon walls, diligently scanning their domain for wolves, lions and errant young horses. I couldn't see Superian and imagined she might be down by the western shoreline. Or, on second thought, perhaps she was under the bridge itself near the barn and pestering Thernd for some warm oat mash with molasses.

By the time my little legs carried me across much of The Imperial City, the sun had settled below the tall stone walls. Despite the delightful name, I had spent little time in the Elven Gardens section of the city. After asking a Legion soldier for directions, I found Luther Broad's Boarding House near the center of the district.

The tavern that comprised the ground floor of the inn seemed tasteful enough but not fancy - and it didn't smell of stale mead. I noted there was no welcoming fireplace which I pretty much required if I was going to enjoy a tavern. Behind the bar was a large balding Imperial wearing an attractive blue-green shirt. I presumed him to be Luther Broad. Oddly enough, a warhammer was slung over his shoulder which I figured was not a good sign. Nevertheless, the place seemed quite sedate.

Screenshot

As my eyes fully adjusted to the dim light, I noticed a Redguard eating dinner in one corner. A katana in its scabbard leaned against the wall by his knee. Realizing that I had never seen Baurus without his armor or helmet, I was grateful for the hints he had given me to aid in recognition.

This post has been edited by Acadian: Oct 28 2011, 10:20 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jul 29 2011, 02:03 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

Well, now that we're baaack at the Arcane University, we gotta wait to see Raminus Polus?? Not fair! And Boderi's not around either? On the other hand, we got to meet a real city elf - Malin!

Yes, Superian is likely pestering Thernd for bran and molasses. Yum!

What a cute outfit, Buffy! No wonder Luther Broad can't keep his eyes off of you!

Realizing that I had never seen Baurus without his armor or helmet, I was grateful for the hints he had given me to aid in recognition.
Julian's slapping her forehead while rolling her eyes at the ceiling. Now why didn't she think of that??

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jul 29 2011, 02:38 PM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

The words “Conclusion” and “final season” cause some dismay, so I remind myself that it’s only Book 1. smile.gif

I enjoyed the description of the University very much. It seems like an organized and busy place. How fun to meet Malin the little city elf! I guess when your shaman tells you to move out of the trees, you can believe it. I wonder at the resemblance between Buffy and Malin. Hmm.

Remembering Acadian's advice about Savlian, I added, "Oh, and I hope to learn to dance someday."

Buffy can be so adorable. happy.gif

After much debate, some of it directed at Acadian during a long bath that afternoon, I decided to trust Baurus' word that he would not arrest me. In fact, I hoped he would believe my story and that I might be able to tell him something that could be of help to him.

I like this very much. Once Buffy decides that she’s on Baurus’ side, she won’t hold back. I’m glad Baurus used some manners phrasing his request, especially recognizing that while it might be urgent for him, it is certainly not for her! I’m sure he’s worthy of Buffy’s trust, not an indignant hand on her hip.

Beautiful outfit! The black sets off her hair while the purple brings out her eyes. And of course the sandals are super cute.

Behind the bar was a large balding Imperial wearing an attractive blue-green shirt. I presumed him to be Luther Broad. Oddly enough, a warhammer was slung over his shoulder which I figured was not a good sign. Nevertheless, the place seemed quite sedate.

I like that shirt, too. Warhammer, yikes, and Buffy didn’t bring her bow!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 29 2011, 03:54 PM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

her robe had been tailored to fit more like a dress than a bag
ohmy.gif How did she do that! No fair! laugh.gif

They're full of . . . nature.
laugh.gif I see Malin is the exact opposite of Buffy and Teresa! How refreshing to see a wood elf who is not woodsy. Malin was a very fun and engaging character. I especially liked how she was not studying magic for the sake of scholarly ambition, but rather to help with her career. It is so nice to see magic put to real, everyday use.

You have my assurance that nothing you may tell me will result in your arrest or confinement by either the Legion or the Blades.
laugh.gif That was a good touch! I remember my first time playing the game, I was afraid every watchman was going to arrest me after I got out of the sewer! So now Buffy is off to see Baurus. I did not see that coming! I wonder how much of the main quest the Buffster might dip into now that our old Redguard friend has returned?

nits
I'm a student here working part time in the offices to help pay may my way."
I think an extra may sneaked in here while Malin was not looking.

I am one of the Blades assigned to the Emperor when he was assassinated.
Perhaps Baurus meant to say he was one of the Blades?

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 2 2011, 05:09 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jul 29 2011, 04:13 PM
Post #5

Master
Group Icon

Malin is such a neat little elf. I loved Buffy’s comment “Yes, it's quite refreshing to speak with someone eye-to-eye for a change.”

A letter from Baurus? I didn’t see that coming. I am glad Buffy chose to meet with him. He’s a trustworthy man.

I’m intrigued. Looking forward to the next chapter!

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 29 2011, 05:39 PM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

ALL NEW BUFFY !!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT !!!!

The similarity in size between Buffy and Malin perks some ideas of a possible relation between Buffy's lineage and Malin's ... oooh !!! That is pretty exciting just to think about !!

But then ...

KABOOOM !!!

My head just exploded with this letter from Baurus !!! ARGH !!! This is so exciting !!!

GAAAAAAH !!!

** mALX just died of excitement in front of her PC **

AWESOME !!!!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE !!!!!!!!! WOO HOO !!!!!!!!

This post has been edited by mALX: Jul 29 2011, 05:40 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 29 2011, 05:54 PM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

Okay, I think I've calmed down a bit.

OMG, it is AWESOME !!! There are hints of foreshadowing, I expected that ... but BAURUS? GAAAAAH !!! That was a complete shocker out of the blue and knocked me OFF MY CHAIR !!!!

I don't know when I've ever been so excited !!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME WRITE !!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Jul 30 2011, 08:11 AM
Post #8

Knower
Group Icon

*wolf struggles at the rear while mALX runs at Maiq speed over the hill*
biggrin.gif

A couple of chapters back-

The dream of every master is to find one protégée during their lifetime. That student who has the passion, attentiveness and natural ability to excel.
So true!

A passing jester in outlandish garb and a painted face walked right up to us and, with great fanfare, slipped a short-stemmed red rose into my hair.
Wow! The story is really coming alive in your hands and imagery. Buffy is not just a 2D character, she is now a part of the world that you weave!

Oh no! Aradroth did not finish top 5!!
Unfortunately I must take some of the blame. The week before the tournament I insisted that he take some aiming practice from Maxical. The poor boy has not been the same way since. laugh.gif

Also on the platform was a throne for Count Bravil, into which was poured the blue velvet-clad noble himself.
Very impressive writing!

Fathis Aren waved his hand, cascading the awards platform with a shower of harmless sparks that drew a hushed anticipation from the crowd.
That was a neat touch to put into the story.

Very interesting that you decided to not have Buffy win the tournament. I kept waiting for the leader to stumble but it never happened! I loved the part where Daenlin paid out on Buffy for missing her shots. There was sooo much wisdom that he imparted in those few words....

I really enjoyed the correspondence between Buffy and Savlian. Buffy’s letter contained a thousand “I’s” in it. That just goes to show just how much she is wrestling with herself and her own feelings for him. Over time she will learn to give herself.

To quote Jean Paul Richter- A loving maiden grows unconsciously more bold....

That was just delightful the way that Buffy fussed over Ursanne before she sat down. I was afraid her own tea would go cold by the time that she got around to it. Lol.

I rose, brought us each a cup of tea and slid back into the seat across the table from my guest. I was struck by how much gray now augmented her brown hair. Had the change occurred too gradually for me to notice before? Did the fact that humans lived their short lives so quickly make them creatures to pity or treasures to cherish? "Go on."
Me like! Me like!

A moment later the orc filled the doorway, tugging the drawstring on a pair of flax pants with one hand.
laugh.gif

The Khajiit's eyes studied the horizon ahead of us while one paw made small adjustments to the rudder. His ears looked relaxed, but the tip of his tail flicked slowly back and forth.

I tried again. "Do you know what this axe I'm supposed to fetch looks like?"

Only a gentle flap from the sail replied.

Delightful writing, oh master paladin! smile.gif
The Khajiit could be as deceptive as he seems, or he could just be a pussycat scared of the waves and water.

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Aug 5 2011, 01:54 AM
Post #9

Knower
Group Icon

*Looks at Malx* Alrighty then... *Looks at Acadian* Not a conclusion...

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 5 2011, 01:27 PM
Post #10

Paladin
Group Icon

During Episode 123, Buffy arrived at the Arcane University, learned that the Council of Mages had met that very morning and was placed on Raminus Polus' schedule to to meet with him the following morning. She also received a letter from the Blade, Baurus. After settling in at the University and debating her options, she made her way across the city to meet with Baurus that evening at Luther Broad's Boarding House.

Rider- Thank you! Baurus' hints to help Buffy recognize him were inspired by memories of Julian's encounter with Baurus at the very same tavern. So, Buffy has you to thank for Baurus' consideration! I'm so glad I had room in this episode for a brief glimpse down into the Valley of Horses again. I hope Buffy will be able to have a chat with Thernd before she leaves in a few episodes.

Grits- Yes, this thread will only complete Book 1. Books 2 and 3 are planned to be quite a bit shorter, more like the Tournament of Archers storyline. We have extensive plans beyond that (if we live long enough, lol) for what I have come to accept as a neverending story that could eventually range numerous provinces in Tamriel. Thanks for enjoying a glimpse into some administrative aspects of the University; I wanted some bureaucracy, but tempered by a human elven face with a name. I thank you so much for your kind insights and compliments!

SubRosa- I knew our reference back to 'green bags' would catch your eye. tongue.gif I'm so delighted that you found Malin interesting, since you are a master of creating fascinating and mysterious minor characters. Malin is a distant minor plant for operations envisioned during Book 2, where her skills will come into play. I thank you for highlighting Buffy's concern that she might be a suspect in the murder of Jauffre. Thanks for the nits so I could fix 'em!

KC- Thanks for the kind words about Malin. We'll see her again in Book 2. I'm delighted that Baurus' letter surprised you as much as it did Buffy. You have good instincts, my friend - I too believe the Blade will prove worthy of Buffy's trust.

mALX- I'm delighted that, like Grits, you wonder if there is some common lineage between Buffy and Malin given their equal height and singing abilities. You are both correct; someday in the distant future, Buffy will be drawn to investigate her ancestral ties to the Strid River Vally portion of northern Valenwood. Argh - so many storylines bursting to be free and so little time! Darn Oblivion Crisis! I so hope you enjoy what Buffy learns when she meets with Baurus.

Wolf- Such a soothing delight to hear your gentle and encouraging words regarding the Tournament! It was such a joy to have Aradroth be a part of it. I hope you realize that he is now a permanent resident in Buffy Fiction! happy.gif

Zalphon- Aww, thanks for joining us in this thread where Buffy finally makes her way back to Kvatch. She won't run away this time.

124 The Order of the Blades

"Baurus?"

The Redguard lowered his fork and looked up, searching my face. He then rose to his feet. "Buffy. Or rather, Dame Buffy I believe it is now." The sadness I recalled in his eyes after the Emperor's death was still there, augmented now by what appeared to be weariness. "I thank you for trusting me enough to come." I could see the beginnings of age lines around his eyes, but the flax shirt he wore could not conceal the broad and powerful shoulders of a warrior as he indicated a chair across the small table. "Please sit." After we both did so, he waved the publican over.

"What'll it be, young lady?" asked the Imperial that I gathered was Luther Broad.

"The mutton's pretty good," suggested Baurus with a shrug.

"A slice of bread, wedge of cheese and goblet of Tamika's please," I said.

After Luther nodded and withdrew, Baurus said, "I guess what they say about elves is true. You haven't aged a day, although you now display a calm confidence that the young prisoner I met did not."

"Why, thank you, Baurus." I cursed the warm blush I felt rising from below my neckline as it traveled to the tips of my ears.

"Congratulations on placing in the Tournament of Archers. Is that article in the Courier true? Are you really a knight now?"

"Yes, I'm a Knight Errant, Order of the White Stallion." I displayed one hand.

After examining my Leyawiin Court ring, he said, "Congratulations on that as well, Milady."

"Are you not a knight also?" I asked. "Sworn to the Emperor?"

"Aye," said Baurus, "the Order of the Blades is more secretive though and we find such titles impede our work."

"Well, I promise not to call you Sir Baurus, if you don't call me Dame Buffy. Fair enough?"

Before the Blade could answer, Luther returned with my light fare. As I reached for my coin purse, Baurus held up his hand. "Please allow me to buy your small meal, Buffy."

Remembering Luciana Galena's lessons about men in taverns, I said politely but firmly, "No. I appreciate your kind offer, but I will pay my own way." I handed several coins to Luther, who thanked me. As the innkeeper left us alone again, I continued, "Baurus, I'm here because both you and the Emperor were kind to me. That's the same reason I delivered the Amulet of Kings to Jauffre within a month of being asked to do so."

The Redguard studied my face for a moment. "Thank you. Your presence here and your words confirm that the Emperor's trust was well-placed. Can you tell me anything else?"

"I learned sometime later that Jauffre had been killed," I said, "apparently very shortly after I met with him. I was afraid the other monks might think I had something to do with that. I assure you, Baurus, that when last I saw Jauffre he had the Amulet in his hands and was very much alive."

Baurus evaluated my steady gaze, then nodded slowly. "Brother Piner told me that a wood elf meeting your description spoke with Jauffre the very day he was killed."

"I confess I found him both rude and unkind," I said, "but I certainly wished him no harm and you have my condolences for his loss."

"They struck in the early evening, while Brother Piner was buying supplies in town and Brother Maborel was in the priory's chapel," said Baurus. "Jauffre's person and office had been ransacked. The Amulet of Kings was nowhere to be found. The only clue to his killers was a torn piece of maroon fabric clenched in the Grandmaster's hand; the same color as that worn by the assassin who killed the Emperor then tried to kill you. I never believed you had anything to do with the Grandmaster's death, Buffy. You held the Amulet of Kings in your hands; if you harbored nefarious purpose for it, you never would have reported to Jauffre."

"Thank you, Baurus. But if you believe me innocent and that those red robe assassins now have the Amulet, then why have you sought me out?"

"We have some clues, and our efforts to track down the Amulet of Kings continue. Recovering it however would be for naught unless there is someone to wear it." The Redguard paused as Luther returned to refill my goblet and the Blade's tankard. After the Imperial left us, Baurus continued, "You told me the Emperor mentioned an heir to you right before he died. Did Jauffre say anything about that when you gave him the amulet?"

I nodded while I chewed. After swallowing the bit of bread in my mouth, I said, "Did he not tell the other monks?"

"No," said Baurus. "After you left, he instructed the priory stable to have his horse ready for the next morning. I suspect he planned to travel directly to our headquarters with the Amulet the next day. I'm sure, had he arrived, he would have briefed Captain Steffan and issued his orders. That's why it was so important for me to find you. If Jauffre told you anything about the heir, you are the only hope to find him - or her." Baurus' eyes were intense, almost desperate. "Buffy, I failed Emperor Uriel. My only hope to redeem my honor is to see his heir take the throne. Please tell me whatever Grandmaster Jauffre shared with you."

I remembered my heart breaking at this brave man's sense of failure when his Emperor died. I could see him reliving the same pain now. Despite Luciana's warnings about men in taverns, I couldn't resist taking his large hand and squeezing it with both of mine. "You didn't fail the Emperor, Baurus. You fought off multiple attempts on his life. You also saved mine. I will gladly relay what Jauffre told me." I returned my hands to my goblet and, after a sip of wine, took a deep breath. "Jauffre said the Emperor fathered an illegitimate son named Martin, last seen serving as a Priest of Akatosh."

"Can it be that simple?" The Redguard's face lit up. "Where?"

I winced and, gently as I could, dropped the word, "Kvatch."

Baurus shook his head slowly. "I heard very few escaped when the Daedra invaded and can only pray to Talos that he is among them."

"I-I've been to Kvatch. There is no priest named Martin in the makeshift encampment outside the city."

"Then all hope is lost for the Septim line," he stated stoically.

"Baurus," I said, "I have reason to believe there could be survivors inside the city. The Sisters at Gottlesfont Priory told me that Akatosh will not suffer Daedra to enter his house. With their permission, I even summoned one into the priory's chapel of Akatosh, only to see it immediately destroyed. Anyone who made it to the chapel the night of the attack on Kvatch might have had a chance. Would it not make sense for a priest to seek refuge in his chapel?"

Baurus looked doubtful. "Alive after all this time?"

"Those in the Kvatch encampment told me the chapel was built on a natural spring and that its undercroft was well-stocked with food," I said. "The Sisters of Gottlesfont suggested that the Dragon God of Time would not allow those who sought protection in his house to perish. After all, every chapel's central altar is known for its ability to sustain or restore one's health and vitality through prayer. I'm not optimistic, but I suppose there's a chance." I lowered my eyes to stare into the goblet of Tamika's. From the crimson depths slowly rose an audacious thought. "Baurus, my quest is to help free Kvatch. I don't do it for the city or the Empire. Yet, if there is the slightest chance that your Emperor is alive inside the city, can you see that our goals intertwine?"

He stared at me for a moment. One dark eye twitched and the corresponding side of his mouth crept up slightly. "I believe I see what you're getting at."

Could this small elf actually recruit assistance from the Blades? "Baurus, my life for quite some time has revolved around closing that Oblivion Gate. When I leave The Imperial City I intend to do just that. Captain Savlian Matius is in charge of the effort up there. He will need strong sword arms - like yours - to retake the city once the flaming portal to Oblivion no longer blocks access."

The Redguard met my gaze with an intensity that suggested he was trying to sort through and evaluate everything I had said. Finally, he exhaled loudly. "I will ride at dawn for my order's headquarters. I know the request will be received skeptically. The Blades have been spread thinly, tracking down multiple false claims to the throne. It would help if you came with me since it is your ears alone that heard the words of the Emperor and Grandmaster."

"I cannot, Baurus," I replied with a wince. "I understand that your loyalty is to the Empire, but mine is not. Tomorrow I learn if the Council of Mages will assist my efforts. Regardless of the outcome, I will leave for Kvatch within a day or two. I have traveled and performed various tasks that only indirectly support my quest for far too long. The man I do this for is counting on me to arrive as soon as I can. I'm sorry, but I will accept no further delays. I have told you what I know and can only hope your Blades will believe the words coming from you."

Baurus looked disappointed, but said, "I understand. My hope is that Captain Steffan will assign me and perhaps at least another Blade to investigate Kvatch."

"Best of luck to both of us," I said as I stood. "I leave you now, that you may rest well and travel quickly. I hope to see you at Kvatch."

Baurus also stood, then nodded. "Kvatch."

This post has been edited by Acadian: Aug 5 2011, 05:14 PM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Aug 5 2011, 03:04 PM
Post #11

Master
Group Icon

rollinglaugh.gif
Buffy! Baurus is not like the men Luciana Galena warned you about!

Well, it’s just become more important than ever for Kvatch to be freed now.

Buffy’s recruiting the blades instead of the other way around!

I was surprised that Buffy flat out told him that she was freeing Kvatch for Savlian Matius.

Good chapter! So Buffy’s going to Kvatch soon now? Can’t wait!

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Aug 5 2011, 04:48 PM
Post #12

Master
Group Icon

Nit first:
Before the Blade could answer, Luther returned with my light fair.
I think you meant fare.

What a twist on the usual! I thought he was going to ask Buffy to head off to Lake Arrius! But nooo, he wants to know what Jauffre said about the missing heir. *facepalm*

(Note to mods and admins: can we get a twirl emoticon and a facepalm one on this forum please? Please? Pretty please?)

Sorry about that, Acadian. Back to your post. Of course no one knew what Jauffre said about the missing heir. And of course Kvatch has fallen, and Martin isn't among the survivors in the camp. It's been a loooong time since I immersed myself in the events following Kvatch's fall.

I'm glad Julian's experience meeting Baurus aided Buffy in her venture. And Buffy, Baurus isn't like most men who offer to buy you a drink! He's a Blade, for Akatosh's sake! wink.gif Still, I doubt he was offended by her refusal of his offer. He's got weightier things on his mind, it seems.

I really enjoyed revisiting Luther Broad's place. What a wonderful time here! And bravo to Buffy for saying no when Baurus asked her for help. That's something Julian needs to work on! cool.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 5 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #13

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider)
But nooo, he wants to know what Jauffre said about the missing heir

Jauffre and his missing hair? blink.gif Well with her alchemical knowledge, maybe Buffy could brew up some rogaine for him... biggrin.gif

the warm blush I felt rising from below my neckline as it traveled to the tips of my ears.
This was a wonderful description.

I see Buffy has learned her lesson about allowing men to pay her way! Though I doubt Baurus would see it as an invitation for sex, better safe than sorry.

The Sisters at Gottlesfont Priory told me that Akatosh will not suffer Daedra to enter his house.
Damn straight he will not!

So it looks like all roads do indeed lead to Kvatch. Even if not for Savlian, now Buffy has another reason to return there. But how brilliant of her to try to recruit Baurus for the effort of retaking the city!

Buffy's resolve certainly shows at the end, when she not only makes it clear that she is not on her quest for the empire, but also that she will not waste any more time about it. As Baurus noted at the beginning of this segment, she has certainly changed quite a bit!

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 5 2011, 08:24 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Aug 6 2011, 02:39 AM
Post #14

Knower
Group Icon

I finally finished thread 4!

A ghost materialized beside me. Thankfully, the spirit was wise enough not to target Aleron and quickly floated to one side of Kurdan.
Just a question. What is Buffy’s conjuration score at this point in the story? A ghost would suggest that her level is apprentice, no? Is the clannfear/invisibility a possibility?

Kurdan managed to cover half the distance between us before I finally convinced the dancing cobra to leap from my hand.
I love this style of writing! Damn that recalcitrant snake. smile.gif

Grasping the deeply imbedded arrow that protruded from my hip, I coaxed destruction magic to travel through the missile until it completely dissolved.
Very neat!

Tiny droplets of blood and spit seemed to hang in the air, as if the moment was frozen in time by the echo of his last word.
*wolf has just collapsed*
That was an amazing sentence, oh noble paladin. I can see that you are putting great work into your descriptions and metaphors. It is now your strong suit.

As I dressed, I said, "I'll bet Antoine was surprised to see you disappear from the stable. I'll explain to him about a mage and her horse when we get home."
I was thinking this as well. The poor guy will be distraught with grief.....

The childhood flashback and the meeting of Ursanne in the chapel of Mara was very sweet. She and Marz really are the standouts at that chapel. She always looked so small when dwarfed by the inside dimensions of the building, and you really captured the little-lost feeling. To then contrast that with a parallel childhood story of Buffy was simply awesome writing!

I don't know anything about Pelena except that she has good taste in men.
Buffy is now a smooth talker as well! What is next- The world series of poker? laugh.gif

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 6 2011, 09:38 AM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

Oh I love where you are going in this! And slipping in that reference from the Sisters at Gottlesfont Priory - I remember when Buffy visited there and the scene where they summoned Daedra for Buffy to prove their point!

You've come around full circle now, threads are starting to tie in !! WOO HOO !!!

You really surprised me with this - I knew at the time that scene posted that it would tie in, but it was so long ago that I thought maybe I'd been wrong! You are rocking this new thread !!! You can't imagine how exciting it is to begin to see the drawing together of all the loose threads !!! WOO HOO !!! Awesome Chapter !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Aug 7 2011, 09:53 AM
Post #16

Mouth
Group Icon

First, congrats on Thread number FIVE!!! cake.gif

Now, starting way back in 105: It is amazing what can come from the want of a good sweetroll! I look forward to seeing more of Zerina, I have missed her (I wonder what happened to Remko). I hate to be the one to have to tell you, but the video tribute to Morrowind has been removed by the user. My own fault for being so late to the party. embarrased.gif

I still for the life of me can’t figure who the culprit is.

And now finally I get to see Alawen shoot! This should be good. I’ll be back in a sec . . . WOW!!! I love how you accentuated Alawen’s skittish nature amongst the crowd. But once she managed to focus on the target, she shot like the master archer I know and love.

After reading of shopping and sweeping and ‘Merchants Explode’ (really Delphine?), we finally learn the identity of our culprit. Reman Broder. Well of course it would be! I shudder to think of the sight that Aradroth must have made when he braced Broder in the middle of the night. Now we can get on with the tournament without the shadow of treachery hanging over the proceedings.

Okay, I know that I should be happy for Buffy what with her entire guild turning out to see her shoot, but I can’t get the image of Count Regulus and Viera Lerus out of my mind! As my three year old niece would say . . . eeeewwww!! ohmy.gif

And was there ever any doubt that Buffy would do right by Alawen? I know in the past I have questioned her motives, but her devotion to those close to her has been a constant since day one. I just find it funny that Buffy would regard her kindness to Alawen as somehow sabotaging to Daenlin. I can only echo something that mALX said a few chapters back: Daenlin’s going to have to give her a lecture.

*ooops, most thoroughly, unequivocally, and eloquently ninja’d* (nice going Daenlin)

Now we finally can see what Daenlin’s training (and a lot of practical experience) has wrought. Well done, Buffy!!

Oh, and when Alawen calls her a ‘wet mess’ I nearly became one myself.

Then, on top of everything else, Alawen wins the tournament, only to be insulted by that pompous a$$ of a Count. Part of me wanted her to nock that golden arrow, but thankfully she shows more wisdom than I in this regard.

It was great to hear of Teresa’s encounter with the grizzly from another source. Even Teresa’s regular chronicler is a bit stingy when it comes to dishing out massive ladles of the praise, so it’s nice that the story has entered the rumor mill and she is getting the attention she deserves.

It’s also funny to hear Buffy express envy towards Teresa’s Beast Tongue power. I bet if given the choice, Teresa would take Buffy’s increased magicka and resistance to it. Just saying.

Savlian’s letter was the perfect way to shift Buffy’s focus back to the task at hand. What is it with female Bosmer that matters of the heart seem to suck all the IQ points out of their heads? I especially liked Buffy’s letter in return. The fact that she viewed the letter as forward just goes to prove how lovably clueless she can be sometimes.

Buffy’s ruminations about Savlian lead her nicely into Caught in the Hunt. I saw Ursanne and Aleron during the tournament and I wondered if you introduced them there to set up this quest later. Turns out you did.

Your version of Kurdan is sufficiently slimy! I can’t wait to see him get his comeuppance, but I dread Buffy’s reaction when she discovers the fate of Aleron. One good thing about commenting on all of these chapters late is that I don’t have to worry about spoilers! tongue.gif

The battle with Kurdan and Keeneye left me absolutely breathless! When Kurdan finally mounted those steps and charged I was afraid that Buffy’s Cobra’s Dance would prove ineffective against Kurdan’s hereditary resistance. Thank the Nine I was wrong. Dame Buffy triumphs again (and reconfirms the ‘Buffy Doctrine’ in the process)!

Ever the soul of tact, Buffy’s encouraging words to Ursanne paint a flattering picture of her departed husband. And her willingness to hand over all of Kurdan’s ill-gotten gains to Ursanne demonstrates her generosity of spirit. But, given the increasing frequency with which she gives away money, it is a wonder that her purse isn’t empty when she wants to go shopping!

And thus thread four ends with Acadian’s gentle lesson and Buffy’s first slight brush with the slow moving wheels of bureaucracy. After several days on the road, and NINE days in Bravil, the Council of Mages is just now going to meet to discuss the idea of sending aid to Kvatch! GRRRRR!!! mad.gif

On to Thread Five!

That was quite the cryptic letter from Baurus. ‘Something about the Emperor’s last words’ sounds ominous. Why do I get the feeling that Buffy will be headed back to Kvatch sooner rather than later?

And before I get too far into the final chapter before I’ve caught up I just have to comment on another of those wonderful Buffy inconsistencies. She is the first to insist should she feel the need to pay another’s way (witness her bullying the money into Armand’s hands back at the stable in Bravil). But the thought of Baurus buying her a meal of bread and cheese is something that she just can’t do.

And now it turns out that all this time Buffy was the only living soul who knew the identity of the Emperor’s heir. That’s a very shrewd way of holding off on the MQ until Buffy was ready for it. It appears that all roads lead to Kvatch for our intrepid little elf. As one who has been firmly ensconced in Team Matius this whole time I can only say:

It’s about bloody time!!! salute.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 7 2011, 03:11 PM
Post #17

Councilor
Group Icon

Remembering Luciana Galena's lessons about men in taverns, I said politely but firmly, "No. I appreciate your kind offer, but I will pay my own way."

How funny! I don’t think Luciana had Knight Brothers of the Blades in mind. Buffy is cautious and learns her lessons well, poor Baurus. I’m sure Buffy’s graceful manners kept him from feeling like a perv.

Baurus looked doubtful. "Alive after all this time?"

It makes perfect sense that Martin and the others could be alive and well, given what we have learned. Thank you for that reminder!

"Baurus, my quest is to help free Kvatch. I don't do it for the city or the Empire. Yet, if there is the slightest chance that your Emperor is alive inside the city, can you see that our goals intertwine?"

Oh, my fondest wish for her meeting with Baurus is fulfilled. When she got the mysterious letter I spent some time viewing world events through the filter of Buffy-vision, and this possibility rose to the top. After all, it’s “their” Emperor who is possibly on the other side of the Gate, why shouldn’t the Blades close it? And then help free the city?

He stared at me for a moment. One dark eye twitched and the corresponding side of his mouth crept up slightly. "I believe I see what you're getting at."

There’s that secret agent training at work, a lesser man might have caused a scene. It’s not every day that a young wood elf recruits the Blades to help her not-exactly boyfriend. Only Buffy!

I hope she sees Baurus at Kvatch, too. I hope the barricade is crowded with help Buffy has recruited for her hero in a headband. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 12 2011, 01:13 PM
Post #18

Paladin
Group Icon

Episode 124 featured a meeting with Baurus. Buffy was relieved that she was not a suspect in Jauffre's murder, but surprised to learn that the Amulet of Kings had been stolen and she was the only living soul to know the identity of Uriel Septim's heir. She and Baurus discussed the chances of Martin being alive inside the besieged city of Kvatch. They parted with Buffy intent on proceeding to Kvatch and Baurus stating he would try to get assistance from his headquarters to investigate the possible claim to the throne.

KC- Even though Buffy doesn't know how to read men's intentions very well, at least she paid attention to what Luciana Galena tried to teach her. laugh.gif Yes, she will accept no more diversions; it will take her a couple more days at the University and a couple days on the road, but the blue mark on her map is squarely on Kvatch. Thank you!

Rider- Thanks for the nit so I could fix it. Thanks also for enjoying our twist! We have tried to work with the plot challenges of having that gate open for such a long time; hence, the death of Jauffre and Buffy being the only connection between the gate and the Emperor. I appreciate your endorsement of Buffy's choice not to accompany Baurus. On one hand, it might have helped generate more aid for Kvatch, but on the other hand, now that she feels qualified as a 'Daedra slayer', she is growing more and more impatient to get there.

SubRosa- Although Buffy considers her motivation regarding Kvatch to be quite selfish, she is not above exploiting or touting the 'nobility' of her cause to garner assistance (such as from the Blades). We'll see that again in this next episode. Thank you for summarizing so concisely why Buffy is going to Kvatch and that she grows increasingly impatient to get there.

Wolf- Regarding Buffy summoning ghosts to occupy Kurdan: At this stage in her story, Buffy was about level 14 and likely a Journeyman or Expert in conjuration. I suspect she could have summoned a more powerful spirit, but her priority was to produce a long lasting distraction, and she could summon a weaker ghost for a longer period. Conjuration will gradually become a much more important school for her. You are one of Buffy's 'godfathers' and we so appreciate your beautifully kind words and encouragement.

mALX- Thank you so much! A plot endorsement from the Mistress of Plotweaving is a treat indeed! I know I generally refuse to acknowledge that we even have a plot, but I see you have caught my humble attempts to tie several pieces together here. embarrased.gif

Destri- Thank you for catching up! I know Alawen is a favorite NPC of yours and was delighted that you approved of how we portrayed her. I do believe she deserved to win the tournament. I'm so glad you enjoyed our review of the legend of 'Button and the Bear' as well as how we 'Buffy'ized' the Caught in the Hunt quest. I know that delaying the gate closing for so long is a credulity challenge - I so appreciate your kind endorsement of our efforts to at least partially address that. I must actually thank SubRosa for her kind insights in privately pointing out the challenges of delaying the MQ as I began crafting BF 2.0; as a result, I was able to incorporate some tweaks to render things somewhat more believable.

Grits- Given the supportive comments from KC, Rider, SubRosa and yourself, I'm so glad I worked in some reference to Buffy's bar lessons from Luciana - even though they were of course not necessary when it comes to the noble Blade, Baurus. I'm so glad you were able to view Baurus' letter and Buffy's meeting with the Blade through her prism. This last episode displayed Buffy's primary function in the Main Quest: she is the missing link between the Oblivion crisis and Martin. Like you, Buffy and I hope that her Kvatch arrival will see a rainbow palette of many surcoats. tongue.gif

125 Arcane Assistance

"We are caught up in three conflicts."

I lowered the silver tea cup to my lap. "How so?" I was not encouraged by the grim expression seated across the desk from me.

"Although their motives are not clear, there seems to be a loosely organized campaign against us by the necromancers," continued Raminus Polus. "There have been more isolated attacks. We have special operatives gathering information on our enemy, their cells, movements and plans. I have just sent word to each guildmagister to brief their members as well as the local city guard about the potential threat. Teams of battlemages are actively hunting down necromancers in their lairs, while others are required to augment our normal contingent defending the University. That said however, I have just signed the orders for two battlemages to join your cause at Kvatch."

"Having seen several guild mates killed by the black robes, as well as having been attacked by them myself, I cannot dispute the threat they pose," I said. "I'm most grateful that the guild can spare some assistance for Kvatch. What are the other two conflicts you refer to, Archmagister?"

Raminus went on, "Another challenge is caused by the continuing absence of an Emperor. The Elder Council, via the Legion, is struggling to hold the Empire together. The Mages Guild generally tries to remain out of the political fray, but several of our chapters beyond the borders of Cyrodiil are concerned about being caught up in what may be a growing civil war. At a minimum, it renders communication and conducting cross-border guild business difficult."

"I've heard of the unrest in outlying provinces from Legion soldiers that I have encountered during my travels," I said. "And the third conflict you referred to? Does that involve the Oblivion Gate?"

"Exactly," he replied with a sober nod. "The decimation of our Kvatch chapter is a grim reminder of another threat posed by the Emperor's death. The Dragonfires no longer protect us from Oblivion. If our assessments are correct, it seems the Daedra Lord Mehrunes Dagon has chosen this opportunity to interfere directly with mortal affairs. We do not know why he chose to target Kvatch or, after all this time, why he has not pressed the attack. There are those who suggest that the permanent loss of Kvatch is an acceptable price to appease a Daedric Prince; neither I nor Arch Mage Traven endorse that view."

I kept my mouth shut as the Imperial rose to his feet. He filled a cup on his desk with steaming tea, then tilted the pot my way with a raised eyebrow. Since my own cup was almost full, I politely shook my head. He then reseated himself and continued, "These conflicts affect each other. The Legion is spread too thinly by provincial unrest to bolster Kvatch. The guild's priority must be the war on necromancy because we can expect no outside assistance to defend ourselves. Your Captain Matius has done remarkably well at containing the impact of that Oblivion Gate; ironically, it's that very success that hinders his chances of getting help from the Empire."

I felt anger rise within me as I recalled the ongoing cost of Savlian's 'success'. Taking a sip of tea, I used the time to suppress my feelings and carefully compose my words. It was both clear and understandable that Raminus' priorities were guild-centric. "I am grateful for the assistance you have provided, but is there not more that we can do to avenge the losses inflicted on our branch at Kvatch? Or to help free the city so the guild can be rebuilt?"

For the first time since our grim meeting began, the Headmaster of the Arcane University smiled. "We have taken several steps in that direction, Buffy. Indeed, some of them began as soon as you made your request."

"Thank you, Archmagister," I said. "I love the family I have found within the guild of mages, but I must tell you that I have taken a vow. I will help Savlian Matius free Kvatch, or die in the attempt. I'm sure you can understand how grateful I am for any help you can offer."

One eyebrow lifted as he seemed to assess the big words from a small elf. "I believe you, for I quite vividly recall the bloody heart of a Dremora that you dropped on my desk at our last meeting to demonstrate your point. You are not the only mage who feels strongly about Kvatch. After the city was attacked, we offered the sole guild survivor, Sigrid, duty at the University or with any branch of her choosing. She refused reassignment and insisted that her place was in Kvatch."

"I'm not surprised," I said. "Sigrid takes her responsibility to the guild very seriously and is an important part of the city's successful defense."

Raminus nodded. "Yes, her determination to maintain the chapter is what kept us from closing it. In fact, we have formalized her authority to match her responsibilities. You may congratulate Guildmagister Sigrid when you see her at Kvatch."

"When I see her?" I repeated with a smile. "I take it then that you endorse my desire to proceed to Kvatch?"

"Yes," replied the Imperial. "Rather than asking you to apply your skill to our necromancer scouting or hunting efforts, we are supporting your actions to help Kvatch. In fact, after written consultation with Kud-Ei, I have reassigned you from the Bravil branch to Sigrid's chapter. I am confident your research into Daedra Lords will serve you well there."

It made perfect sense of course, but my transfer to the Kvatch branch brought home the magnitude of my endeavor. Images of pillow fights with Ardaline and disastrous experiments with hair conditioner recipes were swept away - replaced now by visions of standing alongside Sigrid to slay Daedra as they emerged from that fiery portal to the Deadlands. I swallowed hard. "Th-thank you, Archmagister. I know Sigrid is dedicated to the defense of Kvatch and I will try to serve her well. At least there will now be two in her chapter."

"More than that," he continued. "Sigrid reports that despite the humble conditions of her facilities, a young Argonian with some skill in destruction magic has asked to join her chapter. She has accepted him as a new associate. Further, we have assigned a recent graduate of our weapon recharging program to the Kvatch guild. He left several days ago, laden with numerous enchanted weapons."

"Some of this occurred before the Council of Mages even met?" I asked, recalling that Boderi Farano had told me I could have no better advocate than Raminus Polus.

"Yes," he replied. "At our last meeting, you convinced me that you might be able to close that Oblivion Gate at Kvatch and, with some assistance, help free the city. I immediately ordered a full on-scene evaluation and recommendations from Sigrid. In fact, I delayed setting a date for the Council meeting until I received her assessment."

After a sip of tea, he continued, "I've also had several meetings with our Imperial Legion liaison to learn who we're dealing with and hammer out command relationships; it seems that young Matius has a fine reputation." Raminus opened a file on his desk and leafed through it. "Trained initially as a Legion Forester. Wounded defending a settlement in the West Weald from trolls. Made sergeant early. Sent to a line outfit fighting up north during the war between Elinhir and Falkwreath. Most of his unit was killed - including his lieutenant. Battlefield commission. Wounded again - badly enough this time to be pulled all the way back to the Legion hospital in The Imperial City. Recovered. Sent to Kvatch as assistant guard commander - likely as a well deserved break from combat. Promoted to captain right before the Daedra invasion." Raminus closed the file. "He's certainly got the credentials to be in charge of something like this. The Council of Mages was comfortable acting on Sigrid's recommendation to temporarily assign what battlemages we could spare directly to Captain Matius."

As I sequentially extended the thumb and fingers of one hand, I silently counted: Me, a recent graduate of the University's recharging program, a new associate and two battlemages. Savlian would be pleased with me. "Given the various fronts demanding the guild's resources, I am most grateful for your help and confidence."

Raminus leaned forward to place his elbows on the desk and studied me over steepled fingers. "Buffy, as you know, Legion service is a prerequisite for our battlemage program and those individuals are trained by Boderi Farano."

"She also trained me," I said proudly. I knew that Boderi had served in the Legion decades ago - before she joined the Mages Guild and more or less invented the battlemage program. I was quite unsure where Raminus was going with this. Given my big words about helping Savlian, did he expect me to join the Imperial Legion? Did they even have scouts? What if I didn't get assigned to Savlian? Buffy! Pay attention!

". . . matter clearly involves one of Boderi's specialties, so she was called upon to provide her opinions to the Council this morning. I believe it was her impassioned testimony regarding your skill and abilities that convinced the Council your cause is feasible. Further, when I met with her to discuss which battlemages to send to Kvatch, she volunteered for the assignment herself."

My eyes flew open wide. Realizing that my mouth had responded similarly, I quickly closed it.

Before I could give voice to a response, Raminus continued, "I denied her request of course. Given the various threats to the guild, she is badly needed here at the University. She not only trains battlemages, but also directs the efforts of our special operatives that . . . quietly perform a variety of tasks for the guild."

Still stunned to realize that my advisor, mentor and friend would risk her life for my cause, I managed to say, "Of course. I understand."

A slight smile joined an uncharacteristic expression on Raminus' face that I could only describe as sheepish. "After I endured some less than ladylike words for my denial of her request, Boderi selected the two battlemages for duty at Kvatch. She also wants to see you before you leave."

I tilted my head, "Will I be working for Boderi then?"

"No, she wants to assess your training and brief you on some details. You'll be working for Sigrid once you get to Kvatch. We all understand, however, that Captain Matius is in charge of the overall effort up there." With that, Raminus rose to his feet signaling the end of our meeting.

"Thank you again for everything, Archmagister," I said as I stood.

"Much of the credit is due to your own tenaciousness, Journeyman." A broad smile garnished the human's features as he reached across his desk.

Somewhat confused, I grasped his offered hand. "Journeyman?"

"Yes, congratulations on your promotion - effective immediately. You may consider it a well-earned reward for your service to the guild, including uncovering and avenging the attack at Wellspring Grove a couple weeks ago. Now, go report to Boderi."

This post has been edited by Acadian: Aug 15 2011, 03:22 AM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Aug 12 2011, 03:32 PM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

Was Wellspring Cave only a few weeks ago?? Feels like a lifetime!

Loved the detailed recounting of the challenges facing the Mages Guild in this difficult time, not to mention the asides about the Legion being spread so thin. And the backstory involving Matius is close to my own (so far unspoken) backstory about him. Like you, I imagined him a former Legion NCO with some combat experience. Unfortunately, I can't quite say the same for the others in his command.

So Buffy has many allies at the Mages Guild. Would that Julian be so lucky when she enters the University!

And Sigrid is now chapter head for Kvatch! Yay! And Buffy can certainly take cover behind Sigrid's assets! wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 12 2011, 06:58 PM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

Raminus Polus concisely sums up the Mages Guild's issues at the beginning, giving us some explanation for why have been slow to respond to Buffy's petition for aid regarding Kvatch.

It was very clever, and diplomatic, of Buffy to phrase her reply to Raminus explanation that Savlian's very ability to contain the daedra was one of the things preventing aid being sent to him. Excellent of her to cast it in terms of the Mages Guild, rather than trying to appeal to simple altruism, or even patriotism. It does look like Buffy's efforts are bearing fruit however, given that two battlemages and a recharger are headed out to Kvatch to back her up. I wonder if the battlemages will be our old friends Arielle Jurard and Roliand Hanus?

the big words from a small elf.
This was a wonderful passage!

Congratulations to Guildmagister Sigrid! I loved Buffy's memories of pillowfights and hair disasters juxtaposed with visions of daedra slayage.

Buffy finally gets the skinny on Savlian! He certainly does have quite a career behind him. A forester wounded by trolls? It seems he shares something in common with a stringy wood elf I know... wink.gif

Buffy! Pay attention!
This was priceless! biggrin.gif

And finally, Buffy gets a promotion! Does that mean a pay raise as well? wink.gif

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 12 2011, 07:00 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

26 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:45 AM