Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Per Aspera Ad Astra: Through Hardships To The Stars, A Story of Trials, Faith & Dreams
BretonBlood
post Sep 22 2017, 06:54 PM
Post #21

Agent

Whoa... Lycus almost lost it this chapter. I do, but don't feel bad for his father. Kerstus obviously did horrible things and it wasn't until Kraven disappeared that he decided to clean his act up and I think he is truly remorseful for how he was in the past. But I really don't blame Lycus for his behavior, he suffered through a lot and it's hard to forgive and to forget. I am glad that he did restrain himself.

I love the last sentence though, it really takes the whole chapter and wraps it up perfectly, if that makes sense, Lycus has wanted this moment for so long and to have a loving family where they all get along and love each other. He has that, but look what it cost him and look at what all he and his mother had to go through at the hands of his father. I can understand why he doesn't share the sentiment.

--------------------
My first short story - "A Thief's Ascension"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 23 2017, 04:02 PM
Post #22

Councilor
Group Icon

What a touching chapter, until father and son almost came to blows, that is. It's good they seem to have resolved things, at least.

Come and think of it, I think I read one of Kraven's previous books. There was a book in which he (or one of yours) became a slave in Morrowind?
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Sep 26 2017, 05:50 AM
Post #23

Master
Group Icon

Thanks for reading.

This post has been edited by Darkness Eternal: Jul 6 2018, 02:21 AM

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 26 2017, 06:50 PM
Post #24

Paladin
Group Icon

This episode opened with a welcome look at the farmstead in some detail. It is great that Lycus has his own small outlying cottage and a working forge to busy his hands and mind. Simplicity and hard work as a smith are an excellent recipe to retune him a bit from his long trip to Oblivion and back. I chuckled to learn he was augmenting his voracious diet with fishy sticks from town.

Lashun the snake! tongue.gif

Uh oh. This looks like a protection racket gang of thugs. I wonder if there is more to it than that. Hopefully, Lycus' mother can enlighten him.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 27 2017, 12:43 PM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

He mentions moons and a coming change. He is a ... uh .. a werewolf??? blink.gif
+Quote Post
BretonBlood
post Sep 28 2017, 05:34 PM
Post #26

Agent

As Acadian mentioned, seeing your descriptions of Lycus's farm work was welcome and enjoyable, and a perfect way to keep his mind and body busy. Having the vigor of a Lycanthrope helps with such work I would think, less tiring out.

I got a really good chuckle at Lycus naming the snake Lashun. Nice throwback.

And who are these men? They say they are looking out and keeping the farms safe, but I am thinking that's a lie. Unless they make the farmers pay them for their protection. Either way we haven't seen the last of them and I get the feeling Lycus is going to have another job to take of... one less clean than farming.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 29 2017, 07:01 AM
Post #27

Ancient
Group Icon

As far as he is concerned he’s the only werewolf in Cyrodiil and only Shavaash is privy to his secret. He’ll have to make plans on how he’s going to leave on those special nights. How he is going to accomplish this, and if he’ll meet another of his kind along the way remains to be seen smile.gif

GAAAAAAAAAAAH !!!!!!!!!!

KABOOOOM !!!!!!!!!!

*mALX's head explodes*

Oooh, you just teased me with that lure!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOT !!!! Now the excitement is building, I can't wait !!!!!!

=6=
~Commencement of Trouble~

LOVE the snake solution for the bats, rats, mice, and general rodentia in the barn, but the name for it Lashun had me rolling! Makes me wonder if we will see "The Mouth" again here in Cyrodiil!!! Hopefully as a friend this time, lol.

Oh crap, this bit with these men does not sound good. I don't like the sound of this at all. Maybe wolfy Lycus can pay these men a visit when the moon is full and make sure they stop bothering his family. That will give him plenty to eat for a while, but he will have to pick the back hairs out of his teeth for months...

And by the way, it was mentioned in the last chapter and then never mentioned again = where the hell is the gold that Kraven brought home with him? He left it outside the house for anyone to find and take, and his father found it - where is it now?

AWESOME Write !!!!!!! You cannot imagine how much I love this story from the first book; through every book since including this! Awesome, AWESOME Write !!!! You have an amazing talent !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Oct 9 2017, 10:56 PM
Post #28

Master
Group Icon

Thanks for reading.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 9 2017, 11:26 PM
Post #29

Paladin
Group Icon

This is a most revealing and welcome look into Kestius’ history and explains a lot. I also happily detect Lycus’ resentment toward his father softening.

So, it is off to Cyrodiil with a big bag of gold prudently hidden under farmer roughspun. Perhaps Lycus will run into Lashun.

I don’t expect his meeting with dishonorable thugs to go well. But I’m also betting that Lycus has the ability to take care of both himself and his family.

Nit: “Your father still owns coin.” - - This quite confused me until gradually I realized that you meant owes instead of owns.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
BretonBlood
post Oct 11 2017, 05:42 PM
Post #30

Agent

Getting to see some of Kerstus's backstory was a really nice touch. While his past doesn't excuse his actions towards his family, it does help us understand why he was the way he was. Great addition to the chapter.

I love the comment Alessia says, "You’re going to the Imperial City like that? With that beard?” Sounds like my mother when I don't shave hahaha.

This confrontation will be interesting to say the least. I have no doubt that Lycus can take care of them, but whether or not it will end in a bloodbath remains to be seen.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 13 2017, 11:33 AM
Post #31

Ancient
Group Icon

I don't think Kraven should bring all that money with him, or leave his mother alone to face those leering bandits. But he does seem to know already who his mother was referring to in the Imperial City; so hopefully he has some plan in mind. The trouble I have with this is that = to this date Kraven's plans have not been well thought out and have caused him nothing but worse trouble than he started out with. I hope he is cautious, especially in showing that gold around. Never show someone what you have and you traveling solo when a gang of the worst dregs of society can so easily find you on the road home and take it from you and then you have nothing to help your mother with.

This had to be a hard chapter to write, all the bad memories of his childhood that were never far from the surface of his mind. It has to be hard to forgive or trust this new man, but I hope whatever time it takes that from now on Kraven manages to keep control of his temper and not stir the old coals anymore = at least not in his mother's presence.

As always, an Awesome write! You may not be able to redeem his father in our eyes, or even make us understand his reasons for how he treated his family = but your writing is so good that we find ourselves caring about him despite who he is/has been to Kraven and Alessia.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 13 2017, 01:06 PM
Post #32

Councilor
Group Icon

That's awesome. Mum's worried about his beard, meanwhile it is merely part of his new disguise! Can't wait to see what happens!
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Oct 23 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

Thanks for reading.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 24 2017, 02:18 AM
Post #34

Councilor
Group Icon

That's going to be one tense discussion in the Feed Bag. But it's good Kraven saved the day. Dad's a mess!

This post has been edited by Renee: Oct 24 2017, 12:51 PM
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 24 2017, 04:49 PM
Post #35

Paladin
Group Icon

‘Street hawkers advertised their wares, sausages, wine, cheese, trinkets…’ - - While Lycus irritation over this is understandable, Buffy got quite excited over this passage – Shopppppping in the IC! tongue.gif

Happily, Lycus well remembers that beggars are a great source of info and he uses that to his advantage.

Ah, the arena. I should certainly imagine the sounds and smells there ignite many strong memories of his time as a slave-gladiator in Morrowind.

Urg. I’m looking forward to Kerstus explaining the pickle he’s gotten himself into that extends all the way to the arena in Kvatch and a scary sounding orc gladiator. Something tells me, this won’t be over until perhaps Lycus faces this big orc. . . .

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 25 2017, 06:53 AM
Post #36

Ancient
Group Icon

=8=
~Commencement of Trouble~

My favorite part of this chapter was Kraven's dealings with the beggar, and how he compared her quick pocketing of the coin to his own magic act, lol. That was a playful and personable side of Kraven that I haven't seen through all his stories, and I loved seeing this side of him!

What I heard at first and the last time these men spoke to both Kraven and his mother is that the farmers are all paying for "protection," or their farms will be burned or attacked, etc.

Now they are saying it is a bet (he supposedly is considered as having lost) for a future fight that hasn't even taken place yet? That doesn't make sense at all, why even make a bet if the ones taking the bet are going to say you lost before the fight even takes place! I think they are lying, because it doesn't make sense at all.

Not to mention that if it was a legitimate debt and a son is offering to pay for his father's debt to clear it - legitimate business would take the gold, so the fact that they won't means they don't want to relinquish the hold they have over Kraven's father.

I hope Kraven takes the time to listen to his father and learn the truth before taking some strangers' word for it over his own family's word. Especially scum like these men obviously are. I can't wait to hear what his father has to say!!!

IMHO, Kraven needs to lure them into a cave and then let his wolf out on them, laugh.gif

Awesome write, as always - especially your descriptions of the Market District, you painted a picture with the sights, sounds, and smells that was so perfectly visual it felt like being there and made me want to pull Oblivion out and visit the Market District again!

--------------------
+Quote Post
BretonBlood
post Oct 26 2017, 03:53 AM
Post #37

Agent

"The bag I carried of coin was filled with cloth and wheat as to keep it from singing to any ears looking for its songs." I absolutely loved this sentence, it was a very creative way of getting your point across about Kraven hiding his coin.

Lycus shows he is a "magician" as well as a fighter lol, that was a nice little exchange, and the descriptions of the city were great. I would imagine for someone with Lycus's senses it would be quite the experience.

Hmmm, so these men are most definitely scamming people. Lycus was smart not to jump straight to fighting because , as he said, who knows how much leverage these thugs have in the city. I can't wait to see what Kerstus has to say about all this, however I get the feeling Lycus might be returning to his life of fighting very soon.... I am thinking a certain Orc is about to have his first lose.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Oct 30 2017, 04:37 AM
Post #38

Master
Group Icon

Thanks for reading.

This post has been edited by Darkness Eternal: Jul 6 2018, 02:22 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 30 2017, 01:11 PM
Post #39

Councilor
Group Icon

Awesome, son. Step it up! Let's see if Kraven can fool the fools.

Seriously I am glad he's sticking up for dad, sort of. He's not just dismissing him because of his past.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 30 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #40

Paladin
Group Icon

A delightfully rich opening segment as Lycus provides us a full picture of the sights, sounds, smells and ambiance of the Feed Bag. Nicely done!

Though the details are not revealed yet, it is clear that Lycus plans to put a stop to these Bravilian Brigands. My initial expectation was that Lycus would pit his own formidable gladiator skills against this orc, but now I wonder if he is hatching a plan involving more cleverness and less force perhaps? We shall see.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2019 - 07:17 AM