Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Buffy - Book 3, We're Having a Crisis Here!
Acadian
post Dec 18 2019, 01:42 PM
Post #1

Paladin
Group Icon

Welcome to Book 3! As ever, Buffy’s tale of continuing adventure remains one that is character-driven with more focus on her journey than the destination.

Buffy is a Bosmeri child of Tamriel, raised in Bravil and trained at the Arcane University. Her bigger story arc will eventually and magically cross temporal boundaries, enabling her to travel between Eras.

Near the end of Book 1, Buffy helped the man she loved, Savlian Matius, free his city of Kvatch. They were successful, but the terrible cost included Savlian's very life. It was a physically and emotionally broken elf who retreated in grief and despair to her ancestral homeland. Book 2 picks up shortly thereafter and chronicles Buffy's journey of recovery and self-discovery through Valenwood. Book 3 takes place in Cyrodiil and will see the Oblivion Crisis finally yield to the dawn of a new Era – even as Buffy accepts the challenges of walking an ancient path of her own. The small elf has traditionally danced between darkness and light; in this book, she must ultimately and entirely commit to one or the other.

Books 1 and 2, in their staggering entirety as well as an executive summary concise enough to comfortably be read in one sitting, can be found on our sub forum. That said, enjoying Book 3 does not really require more information than is contained right here in these few introductory paragraphs. I have taken care to have Buffy review significant aspects of her past as they become relevant. More specifically, I want new readers to feel comfortable just jumping right into Book 3 without feeling obligated to read Buffy’s previous books first.

I estimate that at one episode per week, Book 3 will require roughly seven months to post. My fervent hope is that you find our humbly-offered efforts worthy of your time.

~ Part 1 – Welcome Back to Cyrodiil ~

Episode 1

The few determined streaks of early sunshine that managed to penetrate the forest merely teased my right shoulder with their fleeting warmth. Superian’s visible breath drifted up and back to join with the misty fog of my own. Kitsune – my vixen familiar – loped along easily but alertly beside us. The sound of hooves on the Green Road’s worn cobblestones was comforting, but could mask the subtle sounds of approaching danger from the sensitive long ears that all three of us possessed. My sharp eyes, augmented by twin rings of detect life, moved constantly, even as I also relied on the long noses of my precious mare and fox familiar to detect the scent of foes.

Numerous small life signs on the road ahead brought us to a stop. I urged the mare forward cautiously until the forms of half a dozen vultures and several jackals squabbling among themselves came into view. Enough of the armored head and reptilian body remained to identify the carcass they feasted upon as that of a clannfear.

Kitsune teleported up to her spot between my lap and the pommel of Superian’s saddle. The carrion feeders were larger than she and we had no interest in fighting them. We skirted the edge of the road, and those tasked by the Nirn Mother with cleaning her forest briefly gave ground. The unmistakably large tracks of a grizzly bear in the soft ground just off the road told the story. Soon enough, the hungry arguments of the scavengers and acrid smell were behind us. Kitsune leapt to the ground to resume her easy lope alongside Superian.

Cyrodiil had become a much more dangerous place since my return from Valenwood a few months ago. Oblivion Gates had begun appearing with disturbing frequency. Most of the Daedra remained close to the gates that spawned them but some roamed - leaving terror and death in their wake.

The Nirn Mother had responded to the flaming blights within her forests. Grizzly bears, like the one responsible for the tracks I had just seen, were not shy about attacking Daedra.

Spriggans were now more numerous. They and their black bears struggled to protect and restore the forest. They also diligently planted vines near closed Oblivion Gates that could, over time, heal the charred land and even consume the jagged stone detritus left behind.

Thoughts of Oblivion Gates drew my mind to a dear friend, Sir Mazoga. The last I had seen of her was when she and her mate, Sir Agronak, left Kvatch with Martin Septim in tow. Since then, the only word I had of the orcish pair came from reading about how successful they were at slaying Daedra and closing Oblivion Gates. Their squire, Fanador, had become quite the prolific scribe when it came to recording the heroic deeds of his knights.

Well before the sun reached its zenith, it was swallowed by a darkening sky. As we cautiously continued, the road’s next curve allowed a better view. Fear and anger grew within me as I saw the flaming arc of jagged stone that stood before us in the distance. Ominous streaks of red lightning pierced the sinister clouds that hung above this portal to the realm of Mehrunes Dagon.

Had this Oblivion Gate been out in the wilderness, I would have given it a wide berth and moved on.

Alas, such was not the case here.

Heaving a troubled sigh, I whispered to the spirit of the old paladin who dwelled within me, “Acadian, I know the message Kud-Ei gave me last night from Boderi Farano directed that I report to the University straightaway, but this gate is close enough to the Green Road that it poses a serious threat to any who might attempt to travel between Bravil and the vulnerable villages and inns south of Pell’s Gate. I-I can’t leave it open.”

“I share your trepidation, Buffy,” replied Acadian, “but I am proud of your choice.”

While maintaining a good distance from the gate, I circuitously maneuvered Superian up onto a ridgeline that provided adequate range and cover. After carefully selecting a concealed spot among several trees, I dismounted Superian and unshouldered Slayer – my bow.

Kitsune and I crept just clear enough of the trees to gain a commanding view of the gate. Sure enough, I could see a pair of scamps and a single Daedroth patrolling just outside the gate.

There was no banner planted in front of the flaming portal to indicate anyone was inside attempting to close it. Such warning precautions had become necessary. Whether Mehrunes Dagon realized it or not, the very sigil stones that powered these gates had incentivized their destruction. They were prized for their ability to powerfully enchant items with neither training nor access to specialized altars. Bands of intrepid adventurers had grown wealthy closing gates and harvesting the valuable stones. Some of them had undergone the Legion’s gate-closing training program conducted at the Arena, while others had simply gleaned what knowledge they needed from the authoritative writings of Fanador as he described the exploits of his lieges.

“Well, here goes, my paladin. We’ve got to clear those sentries first,” I whispered. “I hope I know what we’re doing.”

As soon as the emerald swirl completed its journey from my fingertips, the Daedroth roared a challenge to the scamps who answered with a barrage of fireballs.

As the Daedra battled, I nocked an arrow.

When the burned and wounded Daedroth stood victoriously alone, I drew my bowstring. The weapon responded by assisting me to fully achieve and maintain its heavy draw. I was able to leisurely aim, then loose. Slayer also helped control the bowstring’s recovery, resulting in a quiet hiss instead of the loud snap normally associated with releasing an arrow. My missile lethally penetrated the monster’s chest.

A scan of the area detected no pink glowing life signs nearby.

I knew I had to move fast, as the Oblivion Gate would soon spawn replacement sentries.

Superian quickly and surely carried me directly down the side of the ridgeline. When I could feel the heat from the portal’s flames, I dismounted and summoned my elven hunting knife. I cut a green branch to a length that matched my height then affixed the small green Mages Guild pennant I carried. I then planted my banner near the gate. It would suffice to warn any who approached that a guild mage was inside. Those foolish enough to enter such a marked gate could expect to die when whoever was inside pulled the sigil stone. We had originally learned this lesson the hard way when Menien Goneld did not survive the closing of Kvatch’s gate.

I checked that my waterskin was full, wishing I had two of them. After augmenting my twin detect life rings with a third ring to help resist the heat of the Deadlands, I asked, “Acadian, would you recall our dragon-mare to safety within us?”

“Vensahliz, I need you,” was my paladin’s simple incantation. Vensahliz was Phantom’s name in dragon tongue, meaning wind-phantom-ice. Phantom was Acadian’s ice dragon mount. Though they both perished serving Kyne during the great dragon war at the end of the Merethic Era over four thousand years ago, their spirits lived – Acadian within me and Phantom within Superian. In order to return to Acadian, Phantom transformed the body she shared with Superian into the essence of their combined spirit. The mare evaporated into a pale blue vapor which made its way to my fingers. I closed my open hand to absorb her.

A moment later, Acadian announced, “She is safely with me now.”

With a glance from me, Kitsune disappeared. Satisfied with the preparations, I took a deep breath. Before I could change my mind, I slipped into the flaming portal.

Even as the dry heat began to permeate my buckskins, I sought a place of hiding among the rocks. The layout of this piece of the Deadlands seemed blessedly simpler than that which Savlian and I had navigated at Kvatch. I moved quickly to the sigil tower, relying on my detection magic and stealth to avoid several roaming Daedra.

Working my way up the tower, I used illusion spells to start several fights among its guardians. The ensuing distractions served to focus their attention away from me as I manipulated any doors or switches necessary to ascend.

The top of this sigil tower was guarded by a storm atronach and dremora warrior. After my magic coaxed the two into combat against each other, I sprinted to the sigil stone and grabbed it.

As the tower rumbled and began to collapse, intense white light forced my eyes closed and I felt myself falling and spinning. After a few terrifying seconds, I bounced off the cold ground of Nirn and scrambled to my feet.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
SubRosa
post Feb 12 2020, 04:34 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

I hope no one puts Buffy in a crate!

I think Azura would feel that she has the right to be angry about anything she chooses to Buffy! That is one of the perks that comes with being a god (or godlike being).

I love the name Peony Princess for a ship. It could be a tavern as well.

Waterwalking (and breathing) amulets sound like a great idea for shipgoers who were not blessed with being born Argonian.

So is the head at the head of the ship? wink.gif

Sewer research? Now that is a crappy job Quill-Weave.

Yowch! Being a slight elf when a trail is thrashing about sounds like being a long-tailed cat in room full of rockers!

Very neat world-building with the inclusion of the Guild's arcane flame. At first I thought that rather than it being gifted upon them, they should learn to create it themselves as a sign of their ability. But then I realized that would mean any mage not in the guild could recreate it themselves and fake it. The whole situation of leaving the guild and tracking rogues though the flame is fascinating. It also implies that the Guild could use it to locate any member, like a magical GPS.

QUOTE(Renee @ Feb 12 2020, 08:31 AM) *

That'd be fun. Instead of life jackets we get waterwalking amulets.

That does make a lot of sense. Buffy has no problem being higher when she sleeps, while Quill-Weave has no problem sleeping low.

Quill-Weave sounds like she actually writes some material for publishing. Unlike Casta Scribonia. I can remember when I was new to the game. One of my characters spoke to Casta and Casta bragged about writing all these books. laugh.gif None of which are in the game apparently. And that was actually my first thread in the old Bethesda forums. "What's up with Casta Scribonia?" Where are all these supposed books she writes? Somebody accused me of being a troll! indifferent.gif But i was serious. I had to prove my intent in that thread!

Anyway, let's see where this trip leads, as they head south to the land of frequent rain. I wonder if it'll rain constantly in Leyawiin like it does for a lot of my characters.

You are such a troll Renee, everyone knows it... laugh.gif

According to the UESP Wiki:
She is a famous author who writes stories about the adventures of outlaws and low-lifes in her books, such as "Red Crater" and "The Goblin with the Golden Arm". One of her neighbors keeps rats as house pets, and during the related quest, you will find out exactly how much that bothers her.

Quill-Weave is currently working on a series of books named after Cyrodiil's Doomstones, though she believes that the Doomstones have no magical powers

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Acadian   Buffy - Book 3   Dec 18 2019, 01:42 PM
Renee   Aw, you sly man. All this time you've been mak...   Dec 18 2019, 01:51 PM
SubRosa   Buffy has a brand new book! The Buffster, fo...   Dec 18 2019, 04:08 PM
Grits   Yay for Buffy’s Book 3!! A banner outs...   Dec 19 2019, 04:10 AM
haute ecole rider   Just recently I spent some time revisiting Nostalg...   Dec 19 2019, 06:49 PM
BretonBlood   A new Buffy book!! YES! This was a gr...   Dec 19 2019, 07:34 PM
Lopov   Great, Buffy's back (on the track)! I hav...   Dec 19 2019, 07:37 PM
Darkness Eternal   Buffy is back! I kept wondering if we would se...   Dec 21 2019, 06:40 AM
Acadian   Renee- This story takes place in the game of Obliv...   Dec 25 2019, 02:12 PM
Lopov   On the first story...I'm thankful for a little...   Dec 25 2019, 07:49 PM
haute ecole rider   What a delightful Christmas gift! A new instal...   Dec 25 2019, 10:20 PM
Darkness Eternal   I don't think there is anything more pleasing ...   Dec 26 2019, 02:11 AM
SubRosa   I wish I could telepathically recall any object in...   Dec 26 2019, 04:37 PM
Renee   Okay I see. Oblivion, then. Uh oh, there's bri...   Dec 26 2019, 09:04 PM
BretonBlood   Oh I love that picture of Buffy from ESO. Mannnnn...   Dec 27 2019, 11:26 PM
Acadian   Lopov- Thanks for catching up and your kind words....   Jan 1 2020, 01:42 PM
ghastley   You sneaked a few episodes by me while I was in En...   Jan 1 2020, 04:21 PM
SubRosa   Ah, back to Jean Auel's valley in the shadow o...   Jan 1 2020, 05:20 PM
Lopov   An episode dedicated mostly to Superian - nice...   Jan 2 2020, 08:24 PM
BretonBlood   As ghastley stated I really enjoyed Thernd's f...   Jan 3 2020, 05:40 AM
Renee   I like the affect and accent in the stablehand...   Jan 3 2020, 05:21 PM
Grits   From Episode 2: The mage turned back toward us, ...   Jan 3 2020, 07:21 PM
Darkness Eternal   Good to see that those pesky imps became guardians...   Jan 6 2020, 02:27 AM
Acadian   ghastley- It seemed reasonable to me that after Bu...   Jan 8 2020, 01:31 PM
SubRosa   By Azura, I can guess who that fan is! Fanado...   Jan 8 2020, 05:20 PM
Renee   By Azura, I can guess who that fan is! Okay,...   Jan 10 2020, 04:54 PM
ghastley   This is a good point. I mean, from our perspectiv...   Jan 10 2020, 05:20 PM
Renee   Even with that meta-assumption, there's still...   Jan 10 2020, 08:58 PM
Grits   Fanador has an adoring fan!! I love it. Hi...   Jan 9 2020, 03:19 AM
BretonBlood   Oh my lanta! Hahahahaha I love the Adoring Fan...   Jan 9 2020, 08:44 PM
ghastley   And here I was assuming that it was Captain Burd o...   Jan 9 2020, 08:50 PM
Lopov   How clever to name him Fanadoring. You portrayed ...   Jan 10 2020, 12:27 PM
Darkness Eternal   Hershey-kiss hair! By Azura, I miss that guy...   Jan 13 2020, 12:51 AM
Acadian   SubRosa- I knew you would remember Fanador from Bo...   Jan 15 2020, 01:45 PM
Renee   Oh nice! I think I use that same voices mod fo...   Jan 15 2020, 04:01 PM
SubRosa   Buffy's evolving bow was both fascinating, and...   Jan 15 2020, 04:21 PM
ghastley   Buffy's in the bow, which has changed. Phantom...   Jan 15 2020, 05:56 PM
haute ecole rider   And What's on second? *snickers* And I'm ...   Jan 16 2020, 01:28 AM
Lopov   An entire episode dedicated to a conversation betw...   Jan 19 2020, 07:57 PM
Grits   The thing that made me smile during Buffy’s tale...   Jan 22 2020, 01:04 AM
Acadian   Renee- The voice set that Buffy used in Ob/Sky was...   Jan 22 2020, 01:30 PM
Renee   OH, I get it now. She's still doing the Main Q...   Jan 23 2020, 02:00 PM
SubRosa   Yay 'Zoga is back! “I’m ready,” I a...   Jan 22 2020, 05:52 PM
Darkness Eternal   Along with Buffy, her arsenal and companions under...   Jan 23 2020, 12:58 AM
Grits   “Thanks, Buff. You’re a pal!” said Mazog...   Jan 24 2020, 01:19 AM
Lopov   Nice to see your own portrayal of both Agronak and...   Jan 27 2020, 01:18 PM
ghastley   I'm still trying to parse what's being set...   Jan 27 2020, 04:44 PM
haute ecole rider   Thanks for adding that sentence in the previous se...   Jan 27 2020, 10:10 PM
ghastley   Julian still has to go back to Leyawiin to check ...   Jan 28 2020, 09:05 PM
Acadian   SubRosa- Cities, guilds and even empires do not i...   Jan 29 2020, 01:51 PM
Renee   Awesome, thanks for providing that quick summary o...   Jan 29 2020, 02:59 PM
SubRosa   Just as you said. Buffy will do it for Boderi and ...   Jan 29 2020, 06:38 PM
ghastley   Tell Buffy to look out for Prizna when she's n...   Feb 3 2020, 08:05 PM
Darkness Eternal   Who better than to provide the necessary aid to co...   Feb 5 2020, 12:55 AM
Grits   I love that recruiting allies for Bruma is a team ...   Feb 5 2020, 02:13 AM
Acadian   Renee- To put it in Renee terms, Mazoga and Agrona...   Feb 5 2020, 01:27 PM
ghastley   This episode had me digging back to the knightly o...   Feb 5 2020, 05:19 PM
Grits   Ah, thank you for the delightful breakfast! ^_...   Feb 5 2020, 09:23 PM
Lopov   On Episode 7 - you're doing a good job by desc...   Feb 6 2020, 12:51 PM
haute ecole rider   Buffy as a Dame Paladin? Hrrm, too big a stretch? ...   Feb 6 2020, 04:02 PM
SubRosa   I wonder, has Buffy ever considered publishing her...   Feb 7 2020, 05:38 PM
Darkness Eternal   Great detail on the ancient Order of the Lamp...   Feb 9 2020, 05:53 AM
Acadian   ghastley- Though Buffy’s historical depiction of...   Feb 12 2020, 12:52 PM
Renee   That'd be fun. Instead of life jackets we get ...   Feb 12 2020, 02:31 PM
ghastley   I always like the everyday magic in everyone's...   Feb 12 2020, 03:14 PM
Renee   You are such a troll Renee, everyone knows it......   Feb 20 2020, 04:03 PM
SubRosa   Vandrelis appeared in Book II, correct? I seem to...   Feb 20 2020, 07:40 PM
Darkness Eternal   Again, it so handy to have a pocket-mount able to ...   Feb 14 2020, 01:51 AM
Acadian   Renee- I’m glad you agree that waterwalking amul...   Feb 19 2020, 02:01 PM
SubRosa   Is Buffy shaming the Sun again? Torlin has some s...   Feb 19 2020, 05:57 PM
ghastley   Does this mean that your Leyawiin is that of Open ...   Feb 20 2020, 04:59 PM
Lopov   Quill-Weave! At first I thought that the menti...   Feb 21 2020, 08:44 AM
Grits   Ooo, Quill-Weave! As ever I adore the touches ...   Feb 26 2020, 05:16 AM
Acadian   Previously- Buffy continued her voyage toward Leya...   Feb 26 2020, 01:51 PM
Renee   She can summon a towel??? Man, if I had that abil...   Feb 26 2020, 02:56 PM
ghastley   When I saw "I could make out a large green ba...   Feb 26 2020, 04:33 PM
SubRosa   How thoughtful of Kitsune to warm Buffy's expo...   Feb 26 2020, 05:38 PM
ghastley   "flaming swamp" is not a phrase one of...   Feb 26 2020, 05:47 PM
haute ecole rider   Sigh. I'm listening to the Oblivion OST as I r...   Feb 27 2020, 06:50 AM
Lopov   That's kind, because if using a candle, Quil...   Feb 29 2020, 08:12 PM
Darkness Eternal   Torlin the Redguard is such a charmer. Barenziah...   Mar 2 2020, 04:08 AM
Grits   What a peaceful dawn trip along the Niben. I love ...   Mar 4 2020, 03:36 AM
Acadian   Previously- Buffy’s journey continued as the Peo...   Mar 4 2020, 12:55 PM
ghastley   If the current "occupant" of the gate is...   Mar 4 2020, 03:22 PM
SubRosa   I appreciated the use of chevaux de frise at the e...   Mar 4 2020, 06:49 PM
Grits   Oh no. It’s sad to lose a forester. My wager is ...   Mar 5 2020, 02:59 AM
haute ecole rider   This made me chuckle and groan at the same time: [...   Mar 5 2020, 04:38 AM
Acadian   Previously- When Buffy arrived at the Oblivion Gat...   Mar 11 2020, 12:21 PM
SubRosa   I really liked your description of Buffy spilling ...   Mar 11 2020, 01:27 PM
Renee   Yeah, Dame Buffy! She can close that gate. Nob...   Mar 11 2020, 02:45 PM
Darkness Eternal   Chapter 12: From the serene jungle of Valenwood a...   Mar 13 2020, 03:48 AM
ghastley   I liked the way Buffy knows to just make the atron...   Mar 13 2020, 04:08 AM
haute ecole rider   This is sad - but for the Grace of Akatosh goes ...   Mar 14 2020, 02:33 PM
Grits   That’s a clever use of the Feather spell! Bu...   Mar 15 2020, 08:17 PM
Lopov   As others have said - a very clever use of Feather...   Mar 16 2020, 10:22 PM
Acadian   Previously- Buffy entered an Oblivion Gate threate...   Mar 18 2020, 12:53 PM
SubRosa   Thank Zenitor! The Countess has been executed...   Mar 18 2020, 01:47 PM
haute ecole rider   Countess Caro executed?? :blink: :blink: Julian...   Mar 18 2020, 04:51 PM
ghastley   Is it really a bath, or did one corner get flooded...   Mar 18 2020, 05:30 PM
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:12 PM