Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The Memoir of Arch-Mage Ra'jirra, Or, how the hell we got lumbered with this farmboy
Cardboard Box
post Apr 14 2010, 07:38 AM
Post #1

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Cardboard Box)
This is a new game where I'm using an alternative start mod that actually works, offering you the chance to be dumped in Bravil before kicking off the Main Quest at your leisure. Ra'jirra, as arch-mage, is writing his memoir after an eventful rise to that respected title. His language has yet to catch up with him. kvleft.gif

Prologue
I'm not a writing type, but this is special. It's my book, about me, and it's what really happened as opposed to them bard types. All singing about me being in shining armour and a zillion feet tall and riding the Imperial dragon and all that crap. This ain't crap. It's the real stuff. And I'm gonna tell it in my own words, even if they ain't all sweet and proper like. Why? Because sure, I have this fancy place now, and the fancy armour which I only wear on special occasions, and all the titles and crap. But I'm a farmer's boy and always have been. Like poor bloody Martin was.

So there's three people you should thank, not me. There's my ma, Hathor, and dad, Ra'Virra, who finally decided to let me go to Cyrodiil. And then there's that wandering mage, guy called Cornelius Othmar. He's the one, really, who saw what I could do.

So anyway, I remember more or less when it happened. It was market day, and now I think about it it's the only market day I can remember clearly. Maybe it's the Divines or something. But I remember I was standing next to a nice girl, I think her name was Merry or Mary or something like that. I was also on a high because dad and me had really pulled one over on some of those poncy sorts who come to buy our stuff – we have an orchard full of apples, oranges, berries and melons and stuff. Great for knocking up potions for getting your energy back. When we left that day, we had a few less pieces of fruit and some recipes for what they call preserves – it'd meant spending up on flour and sugar and all the jars, all on the quiet of course, but that's how merchanting works. Getting the better deal while letting the other dork think he's got it.

But anyway, me and Mary were watching this Cornelius bloke putting on a show – Mary was watching anyway, I was plotting a course for us to the most private haywain so's nobody would see, at first, but I found myself getting more interested in the mage's doings. Now a lot of what he was playing at was bloody flashing lights, I know, but I was beginning to figure it out somehow. Those of you who're real mages will know all this, and if you don't, you can bloody well ask. As Carahil once said to me, "there is no knowledge without power", and who doesn't want power?

Well, I was mulling the concepts over, and I must have been mumbling under my breath or something, because next thing I know I was literally glowing! Even Cornelius stopped and stared at me as I slowly went red. Easy for him, because everyone else had backed away from me as though I was deadly.

"Whoops!" he cried, "so sorry my boy! Come round the back, I'll fix you right up!" And down he came and pulled me away by the arm!

Anyway, round the back he had this caravan thing, and once inside he turned to me, said something that seemed to literally blow the spell off me. Then he just stared.

"Why did you cast that spell?" he asked me a bit angry like.

"I didn't mean to!" Did I sound like a kitten or what? "I was mulling over what you were doing, I guess I was muttering to myself, I've never cast it before!"

Well, his eyebrows went fair through the ceiling. "I find that hard to believe," say he, "And the dispel I cast on you now, how did that feel?"

"Um... like it blew a sort of... um, cobweb off me," I said. Then, "That's what an enchantment is like, eh? Like a sort of pattern or web that sits on top of your life, um..."

"That's enough," he says, and he's not so mad now. "I wasn't expecting that much wisdom from a farmer's boy. Ever had proper magickal training?"

"No sir, just a couple cantrips to light fires and heal small wounds, sir. And making potions."

So he just sits there and ponders. "You're a natural," says he, "a natural bloody mage. I better talk to your folks, it'd be a damn shame to let a talent like yours go to waste."

So after that I leave the caravan and there's my olds looking kinda relieved and scared and dad about ready to have a go at Cornelius. But he has a few words to my dad and next thing I remember clearly is ma and dad and me and Cornelius at home that evening, finished off a supper of bread and soup listening to Cornelius talk.

"Your son's a natural," he kicks off, "I'm doing my show and next thing I know, this boy, and I thought he's just planning a tryst with that girl next to him, casts Starlight on himself."

"What's that?" dad asks. I was turning red, but then dad adds, "Starlight I mean."

"It makes you glow for a time," Cornelius explains, "so you don't need to carry a torch. Well, I thought he'd done it on purpose, so I hustled him into my caravan to dispel it and give him a piece of my mind, but that's when I found out he's a natural. He should be in the Guild."

Well, dad just looks at him. "Why?"

"Why? Because he worked out how to cast a spell without training! When I dispelled it, he told me what it felt like to him as though he's already learned about the school of Mysticism! I tell you, this boy's a natural – put him in the Guild and he'll make you proud!" And he looks at me as if to say you better bloody do so too.

Dad's about to say something, but then the door bangs open and in bursts the priest. Let me describe him. Julius Maro, old, boozy, fat, thick as three short planks and up himself so far he can see daylight again.

"What is this man doing here!" Like I said, up himself. Nothing he likes better than to bang on about the Nine as though they're a pack of marauders who can only be held off by doing what he says. And woe betide you if he sees you dozing, or being bored, in his chapel. I hated his guts obviously.

"He has been invited here." Dad didn't like him either. Especially not after that business about tithes. "You weren't."

"This man is a menace to your souls! A traitor to the Nine! A dabbler in the dark arts! He should be shunned by all right-thinking men!" Maro was wobbling with rage. He was good at that.

"Says you," dad replies, "But he's not after our souls. He's told us our son's a natural mage."

Now Maro turns purple, so it looks like he's got a big wobbly blackberry for a head.

"Monster!" Looking back I think he was trying to bellow really impressive like, but all he did was squeak from the top end and trumpet from the lower one and his guts rose about three inches. No really. I couldn't hold a snort, and then Cornelius giggled, and then my parents broke up. And all the bloody priest could do was sputter about necromancers and daedra worshipers and other phrases.

And then he pulls his copy of "One Command, Nine Divines" out of his robe and bangs me on the head with it!

"I invoke the mercy of the Nine!" he starts going off, "Of Akatosh, of Dibella, of Stendarr, of-"

Now Maro didn't like us and we didn't like him. If you're an Imperial, you got to understand a lot of you are real bastards to us beastfolk. Knock it off. You're beholden to one now, remember?

Anyway back then he got my dad's fist in the mush and then his boot in the bum and off they go with dad yelling that good folks don't go around bashing sons on the head in front of their parents and Maro sputtering back that we were all something or other as he wobbled off.

"You'll have to excuse our priest," he explained to Cornelius, "he's stupid and a saleswoman."

"I guessed that," Cornelius replied, "anyway, as I was saying, he's got a brain on him that it'd be a shame to waste. Now," and he pulls out his purse and takes out about fifty bloody septims. "I'll put that toward getting him to the guildhalls in Cyrodiil. They're the bloody best."

Well, ma and dad look at him, at the coins on the table, and then at me.

And I look back and think that if I go, I'll be leaving everything I know behind. And if I stay, Maro at least will make my life a misery, and I'll never know what I missed out on. But the fact that dad was willing to have a go at a priest about this pretty much settled the deal.

"I can come back if it doesn't work out, right?" I asked.

"Of course, son," dad says, and I can't remember right what happened after that except there was a lot of drinking and a lot of tears. Whenever dad called me 'son', it was always when he was really proud of me or being kind. 'Boy' was what he used when I was in the poo.

And then a few weeks later I was sailing on the Coy Carp to Anvil.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Cardboard Box   The Memoir of Arch-Mage Ra'jirra   Apr 14 2010, 07:38 AM
haute ecole rider   Well, i was just thinking that it would be good to...   Apr 14 2010, 03:26 PM
Cardboard Box   Heh, thanks. Actually, I'd been reading a book...   Apr 14 2010, 09:45 PM
Cardboard Box   Chapter 1: In which Our Hero Arrives in Anvil and...   Apr 15 2010, 07:46 AM
Remko   I like it, not much else to say. Except that maybe...   Apr 16 2010, 05:52 PM
Cardboard Box   Yeah, Ra'jirra writes like he's boring the...   Apr 18 2010, 11:37 AM
haute ecole rider   From a previous post: Just about made me spew som...   Apr 18 2010, 06:37 PM
mALX   ARGH! I go away for a couple days and look w...   Apr 19 2010, 12:37 PM
SubRosa   I finally got the time to start reading. Lots of f...   Apr 20 2010, 04:59 PM
Cardboard Box   Actually the swear filter ate that one. I showed i...   Apr 21 2010, 05:14 AM
SubRosa   Now I am going to have to experiment to see what w...   Apr 21 2010, 04:35 PM
mALX   ROFL! Your inner dialogue is hilarious!   Apr 22 2010, 05:10 PM
Cardboard Box   Chapter 3. In which Ra'jirra has a skinful of ...   Apr 24 2010, 03:49 AM
haute ecole rider   Your narrative style continues to make me smile an...   Apr 24 2010, 01:00 PM
mALX   Your writing style makes the story, no matter what...   Apr 24 2010, 03:42 PM
Cardboard Box   Well, to be honest Ra'Jirra still hadn't s...   Apr 24 2010, 11:08 PM
mALX   Well, to be honest Ra'Jirra still hadn't ...   Apr 24 2010, 11:18 PM
SubRosa   Well, to be honest Ra'Jirra still hadn't ...   Apr 25 2010, 04:54 AM
Zalphon   Not bad writing.   Apr 25 2010, 08:51 PM
Cardboard Box   OOC: This next chapter invokes one of the Unique L...   Apr 28 2010, 07:26 AM
Remko   It had me snicker several times. Loved it! :D   Apr 28 2010, 11:41 AM
haute ecole rider   It had me snicker several times. Loved it! :...   Apr 28 2010, 03:34 PM
SubRosa   Hilarious as ever! farting from feather poti...   Apr 28 2010, 04:22 PM
mALX   This is hilarious - I just wonder if you really ca...   Apr 29 2010, 01:27 PM
SpicyTunaRoll   This is hilarious and I actually think the auto ce...   Apr 29 2010, 08:05 PM
Cardboard Box   OK folks, here it is... 5. In which Our ...   Apr 30 2010, 10:57 AM
haute ecole rider   Ah, that's why Ra'jirra gets a whistle eve...   Apr 30 2010, 03:45 PM
SubRosa   Another fun installment, where Ra'jirra tries ...   Apr 30 2010, 04:46 PM
mALX   SPEW! ROFL !!!! You had me ...   May 1 2010, 05:04 AM
Zalphon   Good work.   May 1 2010, 06:48 PM
ureniashtram   Now that is just plain hilarious! Good job, Ca...   May 2 2010, 06:21 AM
Remko   Brilliant Cardboard! Next please!   May 3 2010, 04:48 PM
SpicyTunaRoll   This is awesome. Can't wait for more!   May 7 2010, 08:01 PM
Cardboard Box   6. Dirty Deeds in Leyawiin Apparently some...   May 16 2010, 02:45 AM
mALX   ROFL!! Hilarious!!!!   May 16 2010, 03:25 AM
haute ecole rider   OMG Boxee! My thoughts exactly! I had ju...   May 16 2010, 05:14 AM
Cardboard Box   Thanks HEC! As I said, I had to dig in the CS ...   May 16 2010, 09:39 AM
Remko   Unibrow..... whoehahahahahah.... Awesome cardboar...   May 17 2010, 11:33 AM
SubRosa   The Unibrow! He is one of those guys that the ...   May 17 2010, 04:49 PM
Cardboard Box   @SubRosa: All I can remember is that close by Pell...   May 20 2010, 04:09 AM
SubRosa   There is an excellent map here, that uses the Goog...   May 20 2010, 04:35 PM
Cardboard Box   [b]7. In which Ra'Jirra Skips Over a Lo...   May 24 2010, 05:52 AM
haute ecole rider   I love how you echo my own adventures, but in your...   May 24 2010, 06:00 AM
Cardboard Box   Good point HEC. I think what's happened is tha...   May 24 2010, 07:01 AM
SubRosa   Yay for Mazoga, ahem, excuse me, Sir Mazoga. She i...   May 24 2010, 04:27 PM
mALX   SPEW !!!!!!! CHOKE...   May 24 2010, 10:23 PM
Remko   Yay, an update :) Loved this: :lol: :lol:   May 26 2010, 04:37 PM
Cardboard Box   [b]8. In Which Ra'Jirra Finishes Off hi...   May 28 2010, 11:15 AM
Remko   Brilliant as ever. Although it seems to lack detai...   May 28 2010, 02:59 PM
haute ecole rider   Too much good stuff to quote today! I loved th...   May 28 2010, 03:41 PM
SubRosa   Lots of fun, as always. The informal tone you writ...   May 29 2010, 07:55 PM
Cardboard Box   Part of my loadout is Oscuro's Oblivion Overha...   May 30 2010, 09:42 AM
mALX   How did I miss this chapter? Awesome spewfest you...   May 31 2010, 11:11 PM
Cardboard Box   [b]9.1. In Which Ra'Jirra becomes Appre...   Jun 8 2010, 09:52 AM
Remko   I hated the fire-ants quest t... wait, that wasn...   Jun 8 2010, 02:57 PM
haute ecole rider   Fire ants? FIRE ANTS?? Hell, they ain't nuthin...   Jun 8 2010, 05:13 PM
SubRosa   Lots of fun as ever! I so love reading about R...   Jun 9 2010, 01:41 AM
Cardboard Box   [b]9.2. In Which Ra'Jirra Has a Rotten Time ...   Jun 17 2010, 12:09 PM
Remko   Hilarious - as always. MORE please :lol:   Jun 17 2010, 02:50 PM
SubRosa   Tons of fun. I liked how you explained the spellma...   Jun 17 2010, 04:32 PM
haute ecole rider   Enjoyable as always! The crap in the altar is...   Jun 17 2010, 05:15 PM
Cardboard Box   @HEC: Thanks for that. It's one of those last-...   Jun 20 2010, 02:36 AM
Cardboard Box   Chapter 10. In Which Ra'Jirra Finishes Old Bus...   Jun 24 2010, 11:30 AM
haute ecole rider   exactly my playing style! :P Still: That...   Jun 24 2010, 02:13 PM
SubRosa   Yay, more Ra'jirra! I wonder if Julian wil...   Jun 24 2010, 05:13 PM
Cardboard Box   Yay, more Ra'jirra! I wonder if Julian wi...   Jun 24 2010, 10:44 PM
Cardboard Box   not on my todo list for him. Actually, I almost go...   Jul 1 2010, 02:37 AM
haute ecole rider   Oh! Oh! Oh1 I loved this version of the qu...   Jul 1 2010, 02:51 AM
Remko   Whoehahahahahah ROFL   Jul 1 2010, 01:12 PM
SubRosa   Ra'jirra is back! Tons of fun. I loved ...   Jul 1 2010, 05:35 PM
Cardboard Box   [b]12. In Which Ra'jirra is Bored in Va...   Jul 9 2010, 10:52 AM
haute ecole rider   Another enjoyable take on an otherwise dull, schol...   Jul 9 2010, 03:23 PM
SubRosa   Very fun segment! You really added depth to a ...   Jul 9 2010, 04:42 PM
Cardboard Box   Very fun segment! You really added depth to a...   Jul 9 2010, 11:40 PM
Cardboard Box   13. In Which Ra'jirra Learns the Secrets of Bl...   Jul 15 2010, 02:04 AM
haute ecole rider   First off, I think you have Skingrad mixed up with...   Jul 15 2010, 02:20 AM
Cardboard Box   Uh, obviously I had a writing fail. For one thing,...   Jul 15 2010, 04:48 AM
Remko   Several lines had me chuckling :) Like this one S...   Jul 15 2010, 11:33 AM
SubRosa   Poor, harried Tar-Meena. I always liked her. The o...   Jul 15 2010, 05:08 PM
Cardboard Box   Thanks guys. I found out where the semicolon had t...   Jul 17 2010, 02:29 AM
SubRosa   Neat! I posted in Chapter 12 of the TF, and it...   Jul 17 2010, 02:42 AM
haute ecole rider   Well, I tried that thing, on two different stories...   Jul 17 2010, 02:46 AM
Remko   I only read Earthsea (like a dozen times) from LeG...   Jul 19 2010, 11:03 AM
Cardboard Box   [b]Chapter 14. In which Ra'Jirra Finds ...   Aug 4 2010, 08:06 AM
ureniashtram   Ahahahaha! Oh my! Spy in the Imperial bedc...   Aug 4 2010, 10:07 AM
haute ecole rider   To be perfectly Francis with you?? Francis?? Oh, m...   Aug 4 2010, 05:36 PM
SubRosa   Lots of fun again! Traven sure has quite the s...   Aug 4 2010, 09:33 PM
Destri Melarg   I am sorry to hear about your bereavement. It has...   Aug 5 2010, 11:35 AM
Ornamental Nonsense   I'm actually just responding to the Prologue f...   Aug 5 2010, 07:13 PM
Cardboard Box   That out of the way, you must be the Rev. Cardboar...   Aug 6 2010, 09:00 AM
Ornamental Nonsense   My apologies Ra'Jirra. Of course there are exc...   Aug 6 2010, 02:43 PM
mALX   I am sorry to hear about your bereavement, I had o...   Aug 8 2010, 12:12 AM
Cardboard Box   [And so it finally all spills out in an untidy hea...   Aug 12 2010, 11:38 AM
haute ecole rider   Man, that Traven's one cold SOB! I liked ...   Aug 12 2010, 03:01 PM
mALX   SPEW!!!!!!!! ROF...   Aug 12 2010, 04:16 PM
SubRosa   Funny, but also growing more intense I see. This v...   Aug 12 2010, 04:47 PM
Cardboard Box   In regards to SubRosa: This version of Traven is ...   Aug 12 2010, 10:02 PM
SubRosa   Umm, the road winds south east to Bravil as well. ...   Aug 13 2010, 12:29 AM
Cardboard Box   Umm, the road winds south east to Bravil as well....   Aug 13 2010, 10:20 AM
Destri Melarg   :rofl: Remind me to never read Ra'jirra wit...   Aug 13 2010, 09:40 AM
2 Pages V  1 2 >

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:06 PM