Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your Controller, Mouse, & Keyboard Configurations
Renee
post Sep 18 2024, 04:15 AM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

Thought it'd be fun to share our controller configurations, since three of us have been discussing. Those who wish to post their keyboard/mouse layouts can do so as well. I shall start.

This first setup is for "Variable Movement". I have another set specific for "2-speed", which I'll post below later. In order to get variable character movement, I must make sure the controller is ON before starting the game.

Controller Type: Xbox 360 wireless

IPB Image

Xpadder Set 1

A = corresponds to Return and Left Mouse on a keyboard. So this is weapons, but A also selects menu choices.

B = This button is dedicated to selecting Xpadder Set 2 (see below). So, if I press + hold B, I'm able to press some other buttons/bumpers/triggers which perform an expanded set of functions.

X = Jump. I always configure X for Jump in Bethesda games.

Y = Draw Weapon

Start = Options Menu (Save, Load, etc.)

Back = Rest

Left Stick = Arrows (up, down, left, right) Heh, I thought I used WASD.
Right Stick = Character Look Around. I've got this set to Mouse - Normal thru Xpadder.

Left Bumper = Block. I have Rumble set 50% for Block, so the controller vibrates when this gets held!

Right Bumper = Sneak

Left Trigger = Grab (I think). This trigger also opens up Set 3 (see below) for changing menus.
Right Trigger = Cast Spell

Left Analog Stick (push) = Activate
Right Analog Stick (push) = Change View

D-pad = hotkeys 1 thru 8, similar to how it's done on consoles.

I also have Hotkey Pro, but I haven't configured it yet as I'm still rebuilding my game.

Xpadder Set 2 (this set of buttons, triggers, bumpers is available while holding B.

B + A = Mouse Wheel up. (zooms the camera out)
B + Y = Mouse Wheel down (zooms the camera in)

Hmm, I might change those somehow. But I like zooming the camera with these buttons because I can walk my character while also zooming in or out.

B + X = Not used
B + Start = Not used
B + Back =Not used

B + Left Stick = Not used
B + Right Stick = Not used

B + Left Bumper = Quicksave
B + Right Bumper = I'm not sure what this does, but it's configured to the letter P on the keyboard. Hmm.

B + Left Trigger = Menus
B + Right Trigger = Not used

B + Left Analog Stick (push) = corresponds to Ctrl Left, but I forget what I use this for. Probably for a specific mod.
B + Right Analog Stick (push) = Not used

B + D-pad = Arrows. While holding B and pressing the D-pad this is how I navigate menus. This results in a lot of clicking of course, which is why sometimes I'll switch to mouse wheel.

Xpadder Set 3

If I hold the Left Trigger while in a menu, I can use the Left Analog mushroom to move between Character, Items, Spell, and Map/Quest menus. And then as stated directly above, I use B+D-pad to move within those individual menus.

This sounds complicated and clunky, but I'm so used to menu-surfing without a mouse in this way. 🎮

============================================

This is my "2-speed" layout. The left analog stick no longer has variable movement if I use this. In order for me to get 2 speeds, the controller must be OFF before starting the game.

Really, everything is the same as the Variable Movement layout in the above post, except some Set 2 selections are different.

B + Right Bumper = Autowalk (corresponds to Tab on a keyboard).

B + Left Analog = Camera zoom, up for zoom out / down for zoom in.

B + Y = right mouse button. I need this for mods like Horse Commands, which I've got configured so that clicking on a horse with the right mouse (B+Y) opens an inventory menu. 🐎

Left Trigger = switches between Walk and Run.

There are some other buttons/triggers/bumpers set in Xpadder's Set 2, but I can't remember what they're for!

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 18 2024, 04:26 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 19 2024, 09:28 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

I have another controller question. Ok, I’ve got the left stick click (or L3) assigned to left CTRL (change view). It works but you can’t zoom the third person camera in and out. How would I go about setting it so that when I hold down L3 and then hold Ltrigger or Rtrigger it will activate the up and down mouse wheel function?

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Sep 19 2024, 09:33 PM
Post #3

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 19 2024, 09:28 PM) *

I have another controller question. Ok, I’ve got the left stick click (or L3) assigned to left CTRL (change view). It works but you can’t zoom the third person camera in and out. How would I go about setting it so that when I hold down L3 and then hold Ltrigger or Rtrigger it will activate the up and down mouse wheel function?

In my controller scheme it was configured on the second joystick tab, so that you would hold down the left bumper (switch to joystick 2) and then use right or left trigger to zoom in and out. You can copy that configuration to another button, but the bottom line is that you need two buttons for zooming.

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 19 2024, 09:36 PM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lena Wolf @ Sep 19 2024, 03:33 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 19 2024, 09:28 PM) *

In my controller scheme it was configured on the second joystick tab, so that you would hold down the left bumper (switch to joystick 2) and then use right or left trigger to zoom in and out. You can copy that configuration to another button, but the bottom line is that you need two buttons for zooming.

Yeah I figured I’d need to make it a button combo. On Xbox you hold down L3 and then one of the triggers zooms and the other backs off.

I guess I over looked it on your set up. Thanks for making me aware of it!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 19 2024, 10:18 PM
Post #5

Councilor
Group Icon

I've got Xpadder so probably won't help you specifically, Khajiit. But for anyone else who comes along and uses Xpadder....

In my game the Xbox's B button causes a second set of buttons, triggers, sticks, and bumpers to be available. So I hold down B + left joystick to move the camera in our out. Pushing B+ left joystick/forward makes the mouse wheel go up (which corresponds to Zoom Out) and pushing B + left joystick/downward (toward me) is mouse wheel down/Zoom In.

I also went into the Advanced menu for each (Mouse Wheel Up and Mouse Wheel In) and the clicked Turbo on. This controls how fast or slow the mouse wheel "blips" as I'm zooming in our out. Doesn't work as variably as the mouse wheel itself, but that's okay.

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 19 2024, 10:20 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Sep 19 2024, 10:34 PM
Post #6

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 19 2024, 10:18 PM) *

I've got Xpadder so probably won't help you specifically, Khajiit. But for anyone else who comes along and uses Xpadder....

The exact same thing could be configured also with JoyToKeys. Because an analogue stick is actually 4 buttons. You are using only 2 of them - up and down, and probably have nothing configured for left and right. On JoyToKey you can also configure an analogue stick as 8 buttons (diagonal movement becomes "buttons"), but I have a feeling it wouldn't work very well. However, I never tried it!

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 20 2024, 02:08 AM
Post #7

Councilor
Group Icon

Yes, that is true for Xpadder too. Hey, why don't you post your controller layouts? Would love to see what ya got.

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 20 2024, 02:34 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Sep 20 2024, 10:28 AM
Post #8

Mouth
Group Icon

I'm too lazy to type it all out. Here it is in screenshots. biggrin.gif The configuration file for JoyToKeys is posted in the other thread ("Oblivion technical issues" or some such) and it has all keys marked in it as well.

I have two maps, known as "Joystick 1" and "Joystick 2" (as in: joystick map 1 and 2). The first one is straightforward: press the button and stuff happens. The second one is accessed by pressing and holding LB (left bumper). Besides that, I also have some button combinations defined, as listed in the configuration.

My main idea is to use the first map for common actions, movement, etc., and use the second map for mod-added keys. The only common key there is zooming, more or less.

The left stick in the first map does walking as well as running. Push it lightly for walking (in any direction), and push it all the way for running. It then applies Shift which makes them run. smile.gif

This works in conjunction with that OBSE mod "Use WASD keys in menus" and obviously the bunch of mods for the mod-specific keys.

In these screenshots, "Stick1" is the left stick and "Stick2" is the right stick, "POV" is the funny wheel on the left side of the controller. I have it set up for 8 buttons since my controller is good enough at responding to diagonal presses.

IPB Image

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Lena Wolf: Sep 20 2024, 11:01 AM

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 20 2024, 01:21 PM
Post #9

Spam Meister
Group Icon

*looks at thread*

*leaves quietly with keyboard and mouse in hand*

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2024 - 05:02 AM