Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

44 Pages V « < 34 35 36 37 38 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ESO tips & tricks, Looking for help with ESO? This is the right thread for you!
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Feb 6 2018, 01:52 AM
Post #701

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 5 2018, 05:05 PM) *

It really isn't a very good idea to divide up the equipment crafting amongst different characters; because that will mean each character will have to learn a motif separately before they can craft it. Some motifs can be very expensive or nearly impossible to obtain. It really works out better if you use a hierarchy; where the person who will be your ultimate crafter gets everything first; and anyone else gets it after the main crafter has learned it in whatever order you deem.

My own game, I just have one character do the farming for everyone who is doing Writs. Since I don't raise anyone's skill level up until their experience level is 50 (so they can go right to the top level crafting) - I only have to craft with two levels of materials = the highest and the lowest. Everything else I get ends up being sold for income. It is much less complex than trying to keep up with 8 different skill and materials levels and who has which skills. (all my characters do all 6 crafting disciplines when called on to work).

Khajiit learned this lesson very quickly. Originally, Feng was going to be clothing and Mira was going to be blacksmithing with both of them learning woodworking. This one realized that it was a better idea to have a dedicated gear crafter instead of splitting the skills that need a motif between different characters because Feng would never be able to create Imperial style items (unless he somehow got his hands on the Imperial Style book, which is very rare and expensive in stores), which Mira knew right away being technically an Imperial. So, we had Feng make base model items in the traits he knows and then paid the gold to redistribute his skills to focus on combat and thieving. Mira then researched all the traits he knew, and built up her clothing skill. Brenna is our consumables crafter and is almost a master level (50) enchantress. We also have Razak who is learning all crafting skills. He won’t be doing much adventuring as his crafting skills are going to eat the majority (if not all) of his skill points.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Feb 6 2018, 02:03 AM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 6 2018, 02:28 AM
Post #702

Councilor
Group Icon

My advice is the same as the others.' I suggest choosing one character to be your first equipment crafter for all three skills. Have her deconstruct everything and keep her crafting tiers at the same level as your highest level character so she can craft for them. Respec the rest of the crew so that they can keep doing Tier 1 writs for cash and the survey reports. Getting a survey report on a Tier 1 crafter is like turning iron into gold (or whatever level ore you've reached) when your main, highest-level crafter takes them and goes to harvest the mats. This method is hard on the crafter, because she will be struggling for skill points for a while. However this is much more feasible now than before One Tamriel, because she can freely move around the zones clearing delves for Skyshards. She just needs to get out there and cover some ground.

I found that if Elke, my equipment crafter, increased her character level at roughly the same pace as my primary adventurer, she was always able to gather the highest level mats that they both needed. Once Elke hit top tier in her crafts, other characters took over decon to raise their crafting level (number) while staying on the lowest tier. Then any time someone wants to move up, they just need to spend the points.

This is all just about equipment, though, not the consumables.

Another thing, I did not fill in most of the crafting passives until after she hit the top, simply because she needed the points to keep up with Jerric's level. The passives I did have her (and others) take are the first Keen Eye ones that help you find more mats.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 6 2018, 04:15 PM
Post #703

Councilor
Group Icon

I think my real issue is balancing playing level with crafting level. Or not. When the two differ, then the lower level mats accumulate with nobody using them, and the immutable law of Murphy says you'll get more of them than the ones you want. So as Grits points out, the primary crafter has to match the main explorer in playing level, too. I may have to just let the intermediate mats build up, and sweep them up when the time comes to have characters bring their crafting level up to their playing level. Trying to use them as we go along isn't working.

I'm already feeding the surveys up, as much because the lower level characters don't know the territory.

Some of my problem arises because Laurie Craft was created to craft, but Blossom has a racial boost for it, so she wanted in. Splitting the job between them meant they compete for materials, and so I wanted to split their needs by giving each one a different area of expertise. We have hit the skill point shortage a few times, too, so they go shard-hunting. But then they raise their playing level, and mess up their material balance. If I pick one (probably Blossom, as she has the crafting racial) and catch up to Unna, then the other can wait until it's settled, or get respec'ed down.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Feb 6 2018, 04:53 PM
Post #704

Master
Group Icon

I first started out like you did, ghastley, with Julian, Maz and Alise splitting the equipment crafting among themselves. Worked until One Tamriel dropped, and the number of motifs multiplied, as monkey said.

Now I do as mALX says - Maz is my main crafter, and she gets first dibs on all the mats. However, once she hit CP160, I respec'd her skill points to get all her crafting passives up. There are a couple passives we haven't used/maxed out because we don't need them (keen eye for runestones come to mind - their glow makes them always easy to find). But I do have hirelings maxed out for all the crafting lines.

Alise gets second dibs on equipment crafting plans, and Julian gets second dibs on provisioning (she was first initially, but now she is happy to let Maz handle all that - she already has so many recipes . . .)

As for furnishings, I still divide them according to each toon's original focus, so Maz gets all the blacksmithing furnishings first, then Alise gets first dibs on wood and cloth, Julian gets first on provisioning and enchanting, and Argis gets first on alchemy. Maz is second dibs on those that aren't blacksmithing.

We are beginning to sell off the extra plans, so let me know if you want any particular ones, and if we find them we will give you (ghastley and treydog) first dibs before we put them up for sale.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Feb 6 2018, 10:54 PM
Post #705

Ancient
Group Icon

Part of the reason this one brought Razak on board as a consumables and gear crafter is because a lot of the furnishing recipes require points put into other crafting skills. Mira is fine for the furnishing recipes that only require blacksmith, clothier, or woodworker skill, but if a recipe also calls for her to have skill in, say, alchemy, then she will not be able to craft the item.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 14 2018, 10:24 PM
Post #706

Councilor
Group Icon

One thing that may not be obvious in the Outfit system is that you can go back and adjust the outfit in a slot without having to rebuy everything, but reverting an item (i.e. removing an armour piece from the outfit so the original item shows) is a change, so it costs you. Same thing with undying - it will cost as much to undo.

I haven't yet determined if changing an armour piece on a subsequent visit costs the same as doing that piece from scratch, but I suspect it will. No refunds for the one it displaced. However, that's a single change, so you aren't charged for undoing the old, plus adding the new (unless you're masochistic, and do those steps in separate sessions with the outfit station).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 15 2018, 12:00 AM
Post #707

Councilor
Group Icon

That's good to know. Thank you!

When I noticed that there was a gold charge to use the invisible helmet in the outfit, I decided to go ahead and choose at least a plain hood for the outfit that could be hidden with the Hide Helmet collectible hat that's now on everyone's quickwheel. I wonder how much they will charge to hide shirts and pants? I know a Nord who will gladly donate to the Chorrol Pantsless Delvers Fund. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 16 2018, 03:35 PM
Post #708

Councilor
Group Icon

This one may be partially untrue, but it's so far an observed bias at least.

If a low-level crafter refines materials, they'll get low-level tempers/resins/tannins. If the same mats are refined by a higher-level crafter then the crafter's level rather than the material's appears to determine the by-products. I've been getting more pitch from the crew who haven't put points into crafting, but Laurie gets more Turpen. This was being masked by the return in the writ supplies, which does match the materials used - because the writs are at the crafter's level - so I was seeing the combined rates of drop. And my daily cycle usually had Laurie do all the refining in case there's experience from it. She'd also do her writs first, so the supplies would be returned for the levels below her.

This has been an issue because the lower levels of furniture are Woodwork, and use Pitch (except Wood Elf stuff which is Clothier). When we get around to clutter, and the fancier stuff, not just basics, it won't be so clear, as we'll need more of everything. Plus an item needs 9 Pitch, or 6 Turpen, or 3 Mastic, and ultimately only 1 Rosin - the same amount for any item at the same level, green/blue/puple/gold, regardless of the size of the item being made. The amount of the style material does vary between plans. And so do the Heartwood/regulus/bast quantities - sometimes strangely, as a tuffet, which is a stool with a cushion on it, uses less than the same throw cushion.

Bottom line is that if you need the low-level improvement mats, use the low-level characters to do refining, and make sure they do their writs to get more.

----

On a completely different subject, the "Bank Space Upgrade" reward at character level 16 doesn't happen. It was reported as bugged that way on PTS, and expected to be removed, but it wasn't. You do not get an upgrade. I suspect the having ESO+ counts as an upgrade, so you don't get it again. You can only receive an upgrade from 60 to 70.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Feb 18 2018, 11:44 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 22 2018, 06:07 PM
Post #709

Councilor
Group Icon

Another observation:

Unna is now at the point where she finds level 5 materials. Since she is the highest level character in my crew, she does all the gathering of the surveys, and we've noticed that she often finds a lot more materials on the way to the survey site. I just realised that the lower level the zone, the more material nodes exist, and so she finds more mats.

This means I should have her do any foraging in the earlier zones of any alliance, as there will be more to find. When they changed over to One Tamriel, the tie between material level and zone was removed, but not the density of the material spawn locations. So you find your own level of mats, but at the zone's frequency.

Then to feed Laurie's need for Pitch, Honing Stones, Hemming, etc. I should have the low-skill characters do the refining, while she does all the deconstruction for the inspiration, and to retrieve the most content.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 12 2018, 09:07 PM
Post #710

Councilor
Group Icon

Can anyone explain to me what I can and can't do with a Dye Stamp. You get one as a level-up reward (at level 32), and the colours are ones that don't appear to be available otherwise. Is there any way to add the colours to the available pallete, or can they only be used (once) as a set? I don't recall if there's any way to get them out of inventory, other than use or destroy.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Mar 12 2018, 09:22 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 12 2018, 09:22 PM
Post #711

Paladin
Group Icon

Ghastley, I've no experience with Crown store dyes but did find this link: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Crown_Store#Dyes

T'would seem they are one time use and simply drop the three colors into a costume's three dye slots. No idea if you can choose which dye goes in which slot.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 12 2018, 09:54 PM
Post #712

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 12 2018, 04:22 PM) *

Ghastley, I've no experience with Crown store dyes but did find this link: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Crown_Store#Dyes

T'would seem they are one time use and simply drop the three colors into a costume's three dye slots. No idea if you can choose which dye goes in which slot.

I'm pretty sure you can't, as the seasonal dye stamps sometimes just have the same dyes in a different order. I should probably just find a way to drop/destroy/get rid of it, as the inventory slot seems more useful. If no other way presents itself, I can dye and then revert an unused reward costume.

You have to choose one at level-up, or you don't get the other goodies. I picked one that had otherwise unavailable colours, just in the hope they would be usable. Not much difference from getting account-wide things you already have, but a tad more annoying because of the space.

On the same front, the Cyrodiil Assault crate is a pain, as you have to unpack it to move it from inventory, and then the contents take up more slots in the bank than the crate did in the player's inventory. And for extra annoyance, Unna and Laurie got differing content that won't stack. The costumes, mounts etc. at least don't have a downside if you don't want to use them, but some of the "rewards" are more of a curse.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Mar 12 2018, 09:56 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 12 2018, 11:08 PM
Post #713

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Mar 12 2018, 03:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 12 2018, 04:22 PM) *

I'm pretty sure you can't, as the seasonal dye stamps sometimes just have the same dyes in a different order. I should probably just find a way to drop/destroy/get rid of it, as the inventory slot seems more useful. If no other way presents itself, I can dye and then revert an unused reward costume.

You have to choose one at level-up, or you don't get the other goodies. I picked one that had otherwise unavailable colours, just in the hope they would be usable. Not much difference from getting account-wide things you already have, but a tad more annoying because of the space.

On the same front, the Cyrodiil Assault crate is a pain, as you have to unpack it to move it from inventory, and then the contents take up more slots in the bank than the crate did in the player's inventory. And for extra annoyance, Unna and Laurie got differing content that won't stack. The costumes, mounts etc. at least don't have a downside if you don't want to use them, but some of the "rewards" are more of a curse.

Yeah it kind of sucks. Liberal use of the “Destroy” function may be necessary.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 15 2018, 04:12 PM
Post #714

Councilor
Group Icon

Since the conventional wisdom is that two-hander = DPS and should use medium armour. I built Unna to use Heavy (for looks alone) but the Outfit system means she can wear Medium but show Heavy. Should I respec her for Medium for max synergy? Whatever the facts, she might still wait for "hide pants" before she actually wears hide pants.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 15 2018, 04:55 PM
Post #715

Paladin
Group Icon

If your focus is PvE stamina dps then, yes, a medium armor centric build is good.

Most top players wear 5 of their chosen armor and 1 piece each of the other two types. This is to optimize the top Undaunted passive which gives you 2% to each of your attributes for each type of armor worn - hence, wearing all three types give you +6% to all three attributes. The reason the chosen armor retains 5 pieces is that the top passives and active skill for each armor type requires 5 pieces. Undaunted is easy (but slow) to level up by doing daily Undaunted delve quests (easy / solo).

If you embrace this path, I would not worry about respec'ing at this point since you would still want the lower passives for heavy.

Buffy only manifests as one stamina character (bow/bow stamsorc) and she runs 5 (med) / 1 / 1. As magplar healer and magsorc dps she runs 5 (light) / 1 / 1. Acadian the DK main tank runs 5 (heavy) / 1 / 1.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 15 2018, 05:59 PM
Post #716

Councilor
Group Icon

My reason for asking is that she's "outgrowing" her current gear (Heavy Torug's/Plague Doctor, but many levels down, and some green) so we're looking at the next set. Laurie could probably make her some decent Medium at this stage, but Unna hasn't put any points into it. Plenty of Skyshard opportunities as she does Cadwell's Silver, so could catch up on Medium if it's a good idea. Her weapon/racial/class points are not a concern.

If there was no Outfit, she'd have stuck with Heavy and not worried. Her build was OK for solo play, or at least the way I was playing it, which probably isn't optimal for ESO. Stamina/weapon for offence, armour sets providing health, and just enough magicka to get by. Group play would dictate more specialisation, but we're not there yet.

Laurie's researched between five and six traits on both Medium and Heavy, as they run concurrently. She wears Medium herself, so has neglected Light when there was a Medium/Light choice of what to research. That can wait until we build Wizwen's or Spreads' levels. So Hunding's is in sight for both of them, especially with a scroll or two to help with the last traits.

They also both use dropped weapons, improved where applicable, to keep up, so heavy armour research has taken precedence over weapon research. That could flip the other way if Unna starts wearing Medium, and Blacksmithing is for swords.

ZOS introducing one- and two-piece sets in the level-ups has confused matters too. 5+5 is becoming 5+3+2 or whatever.

I'll get even more confused when I start growing a tank or healer. (Cat Man Dhou and Wizwen could be those).

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Apr 6 2018, 07:30 PM
Post #717

Councilor
Group Icon

Can anyone explain the Glass Motif in its current state to me? Googling or UESP seem to give me a mix of the old method and the new, and confused even more by trying to explain the transition. I know that you need to be at Master level to craft that style, be it Blacksmith, Clothier or Woodworker, but has it become the same page/book model as the other styles, or does it still have a unique setup?

The sub-material part is already clear, and that seems to be the same for a few other styles, such as Dwemer, Ancient Orc.

I'm asking because one of the Jubilee boxes gave me a page(?). I don't think it was one of the now-obsolete fragments, but the sources I found suggest there should now only be the complete book.

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Apr 6 2018, 07:39 PM
Post #718

Mouth
Group Icon

With the recent addition of the full motif book in the Master Writ merchant, the old split chapter version is obsolete and no longer obtainable through fragments, but any fragments one obtained before the change can still be combined into a random chapter.

So the chapters still exist within the data, and since the event draws from all motif chapters I guess it makes sense that they'd drop. It's especially helpful for people that were only had part of the motif when the change came and find buying an entire motif book wasteful. (I got 2 pages so far since yesterday, but no one to use them on :v)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 6 2018, 09:06 PM
Post #719

Councilor
Group Icon

Jerric installed the crew’s housing storage mail boxes, and I love them so much. It’s true that they can pass things through the bank with or without Tythis, and Tythis is standing very close to one of the mail boxes. But when they use their mail box instead, the recipient can just clear out the whole box because it’s all for them. No more picking through the entire bank inventory! Even collecting things from the various supply boxes is more of a pain than an otherwise empty mail box. This was such a great tip!

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Apr 7 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #720

Mouth
Group Icon

They've been a life time saver for me because there's absolutely no way I'd be able to swap around as many items at once as I am with a single character using the bank alone, not to mention the nightmare of having to look for them in the mess that is my bank. Yes, it's a downside of not being subscribed, but it's a testament to how helpful these are. Best 1k+ vouchers spent.

--------------------
+Quote Post

44 Pages V « < 34 35 36 37 38 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:47 AM