73 Pages V « < 65 66 67 68 69 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blood on the Moon, A Journey of Discovery
SubRosa
post Dec 23 2015, 03:31 PM
Post #1321

Ancient
Group Icon

I am thinking Athynae's wisdom might be to slit Korst's throat! ohmy.gif laugh.gif

Good to see more of Athlain and company back again.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 27 2015, 01:31 PM
Post #1322

Councilor
Group Icon

I love the way you began the story of the Ristaag. Athlain and Athynaes tale is a joy to read. Im thrilled to have this new part to savor. happy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jan 3 2016, 05:36 PM
Post #1323

Master
Group Icon

@McBadgere- Yes- she is slightly more... irritable than usual. May need to up the dose of hackle-lo tea... Thank you my friend. And more to come....

@SubRosa- Yes, she is just a trifle annoyed about certain aspects of the Ristaag being withheld from her.... Thank you for reading.

@Grits- Many thanks. Although this part of the story has been long in the writing, I hope all the time has made it that much better for my readers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The story was finished now, including my part in it, even if I would have preferred not to have had a part. And suddenly, the shamans house was too small, too stuffy. I could feel my senses being overwhelmed by the usually comforting scents of drying ingredients, the smoke from the fire, even the lavender Athlain wore at my insistence. I needed air; I needed to be alone; I needed a place where I could think. Without a word I left the cabin, wondering where I could find somewhere that I did not have to worry that every sound or shadow was something trying to eat me.

I walked through the forest outside the village knowing it was probably stupid for me to wander off on my own. But then a faint sound overhead drew my eyes upward, and the bird perched high in the evergreen made me smile.

Thank you winged one, Will you share your perch with me?

I climbed as high as the branches would allow and found a nice roost that allowed me to sit with my back to the tree and a limb on my right side at just the right height to rest my arm. The morning sun was still low enough in the sky that it provided light without blinding me and I did my best to match my breathing to the slow, solid pulse of the tree that sheltered me. Roots in the ground, head in the clouds. Think long thoughts as the seasons turn. Sun, snow, wind, and rain. Each has its place and its time, as do I.

Throwing rocks at a shaman? Mother would have been even more disappointed than usual. But it was only one rock, and a small one at that. And I had been provoked; besides which, I missed- well, mostly- so it wasnt as if any real harm had been done. Of course, I had also drawn my dagger and held it to his throat. But the idea that anyone had died so that I could succeed was not just... stupid... it was beyond stupid. It was wrong.

I leaned back and recalled the events of the previous night, reviewing all that had happened, wishing somehow I could change the outcome, or at least find some meaning in it.

Athlain paused as he told the story. I think some of it was because he didnt want to remember what happened next. And some of it was because he actually did not know. But I did, and I could not be silent any longer, so I picked up the thread. If I repeated some of what he had said, that was just too bad. And if there were parts I kept to myself, so be it. It was my story, too, and I would tell it my way. If the shaman didnt like it, he could lump it- like the lump I had almost put on his head.

The west shore of Lake Fjalding...it's not like north and south are remotely close to one another or anything.

But there was something that told me that, despite everything else bordering on the ridiculous, they would not be difficult to find. After all, I had my enhanced senses, the ones I didnt even like to think about. The way I could see the pulse beating in Athlains neck...
No! At least he had listened to me and was still using the lavender scent.

We hiked through the woods in silence, except for the trees singing a song I had come to loathe, a song I almost understood. It was a song of pending doom, telling the tale to each other of how the two young fools from Vvardenfell thought they could best Hircine. How we would win all the small battles only to lose the war.
But you don't get it. I do not lose! I have not taken part in all of this stupidity just to meet my end! I wanted to sing in their language, to let them know they at the very least needed to keep the optional ending open, that there was a possibility that I...we, would succeed.

My nerves were tingling, my senses alert as we rounded a bend and saw- what else? Fire light, torches bright enough to rival the sun. I couldn't help the sound of surrender that escaped my lungs. How had these people survived so long? And if they expected me to go traipsing through the woods with a torch, in search of some great stupid bear they'd really lost their minds. I couldn't see as it was and the fire only made it worse.

What is this? A tea party? Who ever heard of hunting with torches? The sarcasm was dripping from my words like drool from the mouth of a werebeast. It didn't really occur to me until after the words were spoken that I didn't know these people and they didn't know me. Somewhere in me a small regret formed, but it was easily battered into submission. After all, I was
right.

The leader of the party was Rolf Long-Tooth, who introduced us to the other two. Sattir the Bold had a bear paw tattoo across his face, and although it wasn't something I planned to do to myself, I thought it quite impressive. Grerid Axe-Wife looked as though her face had been stretched on a tanning frame and not properly treated before being put back where it was supposed to be; her wrinkles had wrinkles, but her eyes were as crisp and clear as a cold morning. Her voice was not as old as her wrinkles either. She and I had something sort of connection; I only hoped it wasn't the dark cloud that seemed to shadow her head.
Rolf explained that the hunt would begin once the moon crested the trees, so I separated myself from the group just far enough out of the circle of light that it didn't impede my senses as much. I needed to feel and smell the air, while keeping watch over the troop of stupid...and Athlain.

My hands were following their own beat, playing almost to the song of the trees. Right hand, katana hilt, left hand dagger, right hand poisoned dart left hand throwing star. And so it went until the light of the moon was no longer hindered by the boughs of the trees.

Rolf raised a leather pouch covered with runes and explained that we had to each pick a stone from within to know the order of the hunt. He looked at Athlain and me doubtfully,

I know that Korst asked you to be here...

And before he could say something that I would feel the need to dispute, I replied, I will choose for both of us. We will not be separated, not tonight, not tomorrow, not until this...business...is finished.

There was no room for discussion on this matter. I had not chosen to be part of this stupidity; I was only doing it because Athlain had bound himself to these people and I was trying very hard to honor that. And it also appeared that these folk needed a keeper as much as Athlain did.

The three of us each reached into the bag and pulled out a runestone. We closed our fists around the stones and held them until Rolf had shared a brief prayer for strength and guidance. We then unfurled our fingers to reveal what we had extracted. A raven head marked the stone in my hand; Sattir's matched the mark on his face; and Grerid held the stag. Rolf then explained that Sattir would be the first to head out, then Grerid and finally me.... Well, Athlain and me. I really wasn't forgetting him- I just wished I didn't have to remember he was with me, instead of somewhere safe, like maybe locked up in a tower, guarded by Uriel Septims most capable Blades.

Sattir made eye contact with each of us individually and as his eyes met mine we both knew he was going to his death. He was not nervous; he did not falter, and I tried to infuse through my own gaze whatever I had that he might need. He nodded once, then turned on his heel and marched into the woods with his torch. I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs about the torch but I knew it was futile; they were doing what they had done for however many generations and no matter that I thought it was stupid...they would continue. Azura save us from people and their
blasted traditions!

Rolf led us away from the clearing shortly after Sattir departed. I followed as far back as I could, as far out of the circle of light as I could get without being so far I couldn't react if one of the hideous beasts I knew was prowling the darkness decided to make itself known. We had not traveled far when we heard a scream and I knew...I felt Sattir's soul being ripped from his body. We turned toward the sound, but by the time we arrived the deed was done and Sattir's mangled bloody body was discarded like scraps. And anger was all I could find inside.

And it didnt matter to Rolf or to Grerid. As she made her departure, I could almost swear there was the slightest smile behind all the wrinkles.
These people are not only stupid; theyre crazy.

Rolf started off at an angle from Grerid's direction and I was lagging the same as before, but my mind didn't seem to be wandering quite so much, like it knew even before I did that my time would soon come to take part in this ritual of stupidity. The scream from Grerids direction made my skin crawl. There was something different about the screams of someone being torn apart by werewolves. You didn't just hear it, you felt it, you tasted it...it permeated every pore and exploded into your mind and enveloped every thought. I didn't even give the other two a chance to think as I shouted, This way! I knew that we wouldn't reach her in time, but I couldn't help but hope. Just to the east we found her in the same condition we had found Sattir and my blood ran cold. I clenched my teeth to the point of merging them and just stared at Rolf.

He didn't hesitate when he relinquished leadership of the quest to me. I held the final stone, the wisdom. It nearly made me laugh. If wisdom had any part in this, we would all be somewhere safe, drinking tea. But now, two people who I had barely known were dead, and somehow I felt it was my fault. I knew that they had to follow their traditions and the guidance of their gods, but it was becoming more and more difficult for me to accept this obligation. Rolfs willingness to let me lead didnt make me happy, but I also was not sorry.

If I am taking over, you must extinguish that magnetic flame. You might as well be screaming, 'Here we are; come and get us'.

Rolf did as I asked without question and Athlain looked as if he were going to say something about my tone, but he swallowed whatever words had been on his tongue. It was a good thing because it was not the time to test my patience.

I closed my eyes and lifted my head and drew in a long, slow breath, thankful for the darkness so my senses could work more effectively, searching for that smell that I had come to know and despise.

Follow me, watch my hands, and for all that's holy, keep your feet silent. Athlain's lip quirked to the side...as if he was saying to himself, Yep, that's the Athynae I know.

I didn't want the responsibility of two other people while fighting feral beasts and searching for some giant white bear, but sometimes we don't get to choose our lot. It still amazed me how quietly Athlain could move in that overweight dinner plate he called armor and while Rolf was not as quiet as I would have liked, he wasn't stomping through the brush either.

As we rounded a bend, my hand flew to the hilt of Dreamer, a move completed without thought, purely based on instinct. And it was well that I did, for three werewolves lunged at us from the darkness, eyes glowing like six malevolent moons. I completed my draw, arcing Dreamer over my shoulder and almost to the ground, splitting one of them into two practically equal halves from shoulder to hip. Athlain was also moving, and pulverized the head of the second like he was pounding a horseshoe on an anvil. My gaze flicked to Rolf, who was trying to fight without a visible weapon, hand-to-hand combat- against a werewolf? My left hand reached behind my ear and I flipped a poisoned dart into the hollow at the base of beasts skull striking the middle of his spine. The poison was almost instant and he wilted like a flower without water.

Rolf looked almost disappointed, until I told him, It wasn't your time. You are a great warrior and are still needed here. I don't know what made me say that, but it seemed to take the disappointment from his visage.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jan 10 2016, 05:12 AM
Post #1324

Councilor
Group Icon

Yeeeeeessss...*Fist pumps air, bringing down a low flying pigeon with a surprised squawk...*...

*The pigeon wasn't impressed either...*...

Ba-Bum-TISH!...

Aaaamywho...

Proper loved this...

Oooh, Athynae's a bit angry, is she not?...

I know the feeling of being desperate to save everyone in these games...And so it would likely be were I to be dragged into these worlds in some bizzare magical accident like them kids in the Dungeons And Dragons cartoon years ago...

Oooh...That red-headed thief wench...Boots...

*Several minutes later*...

*Slaps self*...

So...The story...

Yes...

Grerid Axe-Wife looked as though her face had been stretched on a tanning frame and not properly treated before being put back where it was supposed to be; her wrinkles had wrinkles, but her eyes were as crisp and clear as a cold morning.

Mother?... biggrin.gif ...

Azura save us from people and their blasted traditions!

laugh.gif ...

But it was only one rock, and a small one at that. And I had been provoked; besides which, I missed- well, mostly

santa.gif ...No...Wait... rollinglaugh.gif ....

Fair dues...That's just a properly awesome bit of writing, right there...I proper love it hugely...

Always excellent to read more of this story...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Jan 10 2016, 05:12 AM
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jan 18 2016, 10:15 PM
Post #1325

Councilor
Group Icon

I just loved the description of Grerid Axe-Wife!

...somewhere safe, like maybe locked up in a tower, guarded by Uriel Septims most capable Blades.

That made me grin!

This segment was full of beautiful moments like the silent look exchanged between Athynae and Sattir. Its wonderful to get Athynaes thoughts after watching her through Athlains eyes in his version of events. I love this story. Every update is worth waiting however long it takes. wub.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post May 21 2016, 09:11 PM
Post #1326

Master
Group Icon

With Sattir and Grerid gone, it was up to Athynae- and me- to find the spirit bear. But I had no idea how to proceed. How did you track a creature that was not of the mundane world? What signs should we seek? I began to ask those questions, but Athynae raised a hand to silence me.

Follow me, watch my hands, and for all that's holy keep your feet silent.

Though it was not her intention, her words gave me comfort. I felt my mouth twitch into an almost-smile as the Athynae I knew so well asserted herself. She was in command, so all was right with the world. Well, as right as it could be in a dark forest, far from home, with fanged horrors stalking us

When the clash with the werewolves came, it was almost anticlimactic, although the rapid beating of my heart told me differently. Even Rolf Long-Tooth was impressed with our precision; I heard him mutter, And this is why the All-Maker decreed it so.

But almost before the last beast had hit the ground, Athynae began moving, following a path that only she could see. We followed a few steps behind, looking for some indication that the spirit bear was near. Just as suddenly as she had started, Athynae stopped in a small clearing, her gaze sharpening on some indeterminate point in front of her. An aura enveloped her still figure and I reached a hand out to touch her, only to have Rolf pull me back. He shook his head and whispered,

She walks now in the realm of the spirit. You cannot follow. It is our place to wait and watch.

Within the space of perhaps two slow breaths, Athynaes body shook once, as if overtaken by a chill, and then she turned back to us, holding an object in her hand. It was the heart of a great bear, and it beat once and then was still.

Rolf touched his hand to his own heart and bowed his head to Athynae, then became brisk.

You must go now. Take the heart back to Korst Wind-Eye before the sun shows his face in the eastern sky. I will stay and take care of Grerid and Sattir. It is my task, as completion of the Ristaag is yours.

There was no time to argue; we hastened back to the Skaal village and the waiting shaman. He stood outside his hut and swept us with a sharp gaze, seeming to read all the events of the hunt in a few seconds. He opened the door and waved us inside, saying as he did so:

Two have failed that two might succeed. This is as it must be. It is the way of nature- and of the Skaal- that the strongest take their rightful place.

And then, as was often the case with Athynae, a great many things seemed to happen at once. Her left hand hurled the lottery rune at the shamans head, its passage so close that it whipped a lock of his hair before rebounding from the wall of his cabin. But the stones passage was followed immediately by Thyna herself, drawing the dagger from her boot as she completed the throw. Then that same dagger stopped just short of piercing Korsts throat.

And now the tale was told, Athynaes part as well as my own. If there were things she kept to herself, that was her business; she had been through an experience that she was still struggling to understand. I knew that the deaths of Sattir and Grerid weighed upon her, that she felt they would have lived if only she had been faster, smarter, better. So, when she turned and left the cabin, I did not follow immediately. Sometimes, the greatest gift to give someone for whom you care is solitude. I did, however, bend to retrieve the rune from the floor, knowing she would someday wish to have it. For my own part, I wondered what had passed when Athynae walked in the spirit realm, as Rolf had put it. Had that eternal moment between one breath and the next left some unseen mark upon her? Might she be drawn into that place again, perhaps against her will? And what if the entity that called her was less benign than the Spirit Bear had been?

I left Korst to his ritual, though I normally would have been intrigued to watch him work with the heart of the Bear and the Totem of Claw and Fang. But at that moment, I needed something tangible; I had seen enough mysticism the previous night to last a while.

The sun was just a hands-breadth above the horizon, and the shadows of the Skaal houses stretched far across the snow. Avoiding those dark patches, I found a bench where the morning light fell upon my face and I leaned back against the wall and wondered how it had come to this, the two of us designated as the champions of a Nordic clan. And what of my duty to the Legion? It was hard to remember sometimes, but it was the search for my commander that had brought me here. But the man who might have given me answers, the chieftain of the Skaal, had himself gone missing. And werewolves, creatures of myth and nightmare, had proved to be real. I could feel myself slipping into panic as all the various responsibilities and needs inundated my mind. But before the current of madness swept me away, I recalled a calming voice:

Son, the most complex problems are simple, as long as you understand one thing.

And what is that one thing?

Ah, there is the secret. It is never the same thing; it is just one thing. Find the one thing that you know, the one thing that you need to do first, and do that. Then, do one thing more. And so on. So now, what is the one thing?

My eyes opened and I stirred from the bench. Athynae. She was what mattered. She was the one thing. She was the key to the riddle that lay before us. However it had come about, whatever forces moved behind the scenes, it had been given to the two of us to follow this path to the end- together.

When I found her, perched in a tree, I did not speak any of those thoughts however. Thyna herself was usually so serious that I felt compelled to respond with humor- which usually resulted in an elbow to my ribs or a cool stare that said, I do not find you amusing. But- there was quite often just the slightest upward curve of her lips or a widening of her eyes before she assumed her serious expression. The challenge that was ever before me was to startle her into full-blown laughter, a feat I was only rarely able to accomplish. And she usually covered her lapse by pummeling me- so it was ever a perilous pastime. But, since she was ensconced in a tree, I felt that I was physically safe, and besides, the only joke I had at the ready was a weak one:

When the Skaal told me they had spotted a red-headed tree elf outside the village, I had to come see for myself.

This post has been edited by treydog: Jun 11 2016, 08:29 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
minque
post Jun 4 2016, 11:56 PM
Post #1327

Wise Woman
Group Icon

As always I am stunned, but also I feel a hunch of inspiration.."hmm yeah, Anyway I am looking forward to learn more about the relationship between Athynae and Athlain. That is very thrilling, even though I know, or rather hope that somethings gonna come out of it.....

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jun 11 2016, 07:39 PM
Post #1328

Councilor
Group Icon

Wait...What?...I have read the other half of this...Um...This would confuse a stupid person...

Aaaaamywho...Well that was bleedin' awesome matey!!...Absolutely loved this!!...Such an excellent story...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jun 11 2016, 08:51 PM
Post #1329

Master
Group Icon

First, apologies for failing to acknowledge my faithful readers. I was so pleased to finally have a new post ready that I just posted. Bad doggie.

@McBadgere- Got to watch those low-flying pigeons- and red-headed thieves too. Yes- those last definitely need careful watching what? Oh- yes.

Credit to my co-author for the excellent descriptive writing regarding the . Ritual sacrifices um other participants in the ceremony.

Trying to keep up with the volleying between the A and A team is enough to give a tennis referee whiplash but some parts of the story get doubled because there is just too much good material there to leave it to Athlain to tell. Besides, according to Athynae, he mostly gets it wrong anyway. Or at least, misses the important bits.

And the part you have seen is now posting below- so you are not losing your marbles- probably.

@Grits- Thank you so much. Your descriptions of people and events are a constant reminder to me- and an incentive to get things right. As noted above, the descriptions of the Skaal in the Ristaag are from my able other author, who did most excellent work. And giving Athynae her own voice has been more rewarding than I can express.

@minque- The path the two As must follow is fraught, and they are so focused on what seems important that neither one recognizes what has been blindingly obvious to everyone around them for some time. And it is so grand to see you back!

---------------------------------------------------

Athynae turned her head to regard me, and only then did I notice the russet form sitting on a branch a few feet away from her. Two pairs of eyes- one lavender and the other golden- pinned me with identical raptor stares. I felt rather like a plump rodent caught in the open. Maximus rattus mortuus. Then the hawk uttered a single sharp cry and took wing, spiraling upward and into the blue sky. Following suit, Thyna rose from her place and stepped into empty air some 30 feet above the ground.

Ever since that long ago day when I had tumbled from a balcony of Sarethi Manor, our respective parents had made sure that we would take no harm from falling. We were each given rings imbued with a slow-falling enchantment, along with an extensive lecture on their use and an even longer listing of all the things we were not supposed to be doing to put ourselves in peril in the first place. I think our mothers intended the list to be comprehensive, but they failed to fully grasp the ingenuity of children bent on adventure. However, they did try to cover every possibility with a final admonition that no amount of magic would render us immortal- or proof against their righteous parental wrath.

Which did nothing to prevent the catch in my breathing as Athynae took that first step into the void. As she drifted safely down to the ground before me, I began to say something about her penchant for the dramatic. But her slightly raised eyebrow stopped the words before they reached my tongue. I knew, whatever I said, she would reply that it was the fastest way down. So many of our conversations were just that way- some sort of sub-vocal protest on my part, deflected or deterred by an expression or small gesture from Thyna. We knew the dance so well that we often skipped the steps and just went straight to the bow and curtsy at the end. It saved time.

Still, it would not do to let her feel that she had won an easy victory, so I moved to something else. I raised the hand in which I held the rune she had tried to embed in Korsts skull. No. To be scrupulously honest, she had not. Athynae never missed a throw at that distance- unless she had intended to- meaning it was not a miss at all. Nevertheless, I held the stone just out of her reach as I said,

I thought you might want this back, but only if you promise not to brain anyone with it.

Normally, when I tried to play keep away, Athynae would jab me under the ribs and take whatever I was holding when I doubled over. But, true to her changeable nature, this time she just held out her hand, noting dryly,

Thank you, but I cant make any promises. Especially when there hasnt been much indication of any brains being used recently.

But her final acerbic comment was almost lost in the roaring sound that flooded my ears as I looked at her palm. In truth, I had been paying more attention to her hands than her words anyway- always a good idea when dealing with Athynae, which was why I noticed what I at first took to be a smudge on her left palm. But then my eyes focused, and I brought the stone down to where I could see it, as well. And then my gaze ticked rapidly from stone to hand to stone and back again. It was the stone she had held tightly all the long way back from the Ristaag, the stone she had flung at the shamans head. And when she had drawn that stone, it had borne the sign of the Raven- I had seen it myself. But now, it bore a different mark- a mark that was duplicated in the palm of Athynaes hand- the Skaal symbol for the Bear.

IPB Image

Athynae had grown amused by my stunned silence, a reaction my feeble jokes had not managed to evoke. Of course, she still had not seen the symbol that decorated her palm. She quirked an eyebrow and said,

Youre going to start catching flies. Whats the matter? You look like youve seen an elf.

The variation of the old Nordish jest was enough to shake me out of my reverie, but I still felt as though I stood on the crumbling edge of a cliff. I needed to say something, but my usual facility with words had abandoned me.

So during the Ristaag you drew the Raven stone, yes?

Thyna snorted and tossed her head. Right. Because I was supposed to carry the wisdom. As if that made any sense during that entire episode of stupid.

Um. And back when you ah changed your hair, I rushed ahead, because my initial reaction to her new hair color was still something of a sore point between us. You didnt have anything else done? Like- maybe a tattoo?

Now both eyebrows climbed heavenward- one day I would have to write a treatise on the wealth of meaning she could express with those seemingly insignificant facial features. Meanwhile, she placed her hands on her hips, a definite danger sign.

Have you been drinking? Or breathing some of the fumes in that fool shamans hut?

Mutely, I took her hand, turned it palm upward, and dropped the rune into it. My voice was hoarse as I told her, Look.

Surprising Athynae Sarethi was an excellent way to give her an opportunity to hone her healing skills- after she had demonstrated a different range of talents, the ones that involved causing bruises and bleeding. Of course, she was constantly surprising me, noting that it was good practice. Apparently, practice also involved me lying on the ground in a heap- with the distinct possibility of bruises or bleeding as an additional benefit. If the Empire ever held a competition for getting pummeled, I was guaranteed to take the laurel- as long as Athynae was somewhere in the vicinity. But this time, I did not step back, I did not let go of her hand, I did not look away as she turned her gaze downward and saw the sign that marked the stone, along with its twin seemingly etched into her very skin.

I braced myself for an explosion of some sort, but I refused to back away. Remember the one thing that is important. So I stood my ground and I waited. But the explosion did not come. Athynae gazed at her palm and at the rune, then made a sort of hmm sound, as if she had just been given a moderately interesting bit of information that might someday be of some small value. Then she dropped the stone into her belt pouch and turned toward the Skaal village, tossing her words over her shoulder,

We should go see Korst. I imagine hes ready for us.

I had been so braced for the inevitable storm that I could not get my joints to cooperate. My mind, on the other hand, was darting about at a frenetic pace. The stone was no longer in her hand, so that was good- it probably meant that she wouldnt throw it at him again. Of course, she had darts and blades and stars and possibly other weapons I had never even heard of. But Korst was a shaman; if things got really bad, maybe he knew the paralysis spell Kausha sometimes used. And maybe I could take up some other, safer line of work, like becoming a professional Daedroth wrestler and going on tour. That would mean learning to summon a Daedroth of course; a cart would not hold one for long, and people would probably object to Daedra running loose on the country roads and city streets of the empire. Maybe I could learn just enough of the spell to summon a small Daedroth? But people might decide I was a bully for wrestling a mere 5-footer.

Athlain! Are you coming? Or do you plan to stand there gaping? We have work to do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 12 2016, 01:09 AM
Post #1330

Ancient
Group Icon

I'll be here soon; trying to get caught up! I've missed Athlain and Athynae!

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jan 28 2017, 06:54 PM
Post #1331

Master
Group Icon

Many things have conspired to suspend the writing of this story- life, work, getting the room in which I play computer and also write completely rebuilt.... But I also think there is an awareness of coming to the end of this particular part of Athynae and Athlain's lives. And I am not certain what comes after.... But to simply stop has never been my intention, as that would be unfair to my readers and to the characters. So- let us return to Solstheim, where mystery begets riddle begets enigma. And where Athynae's solution is to whack it with a sword until it stops being difficult....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“…a red-headed tree elf…” I sighed inwardly. Athlain. And he was trying to tread lightly around my mood. Whenever he got worried about my temper, he made bad jokes. The thing was, he could actually be pretty funny, especially the way he took being funny so seriously. But it would never do to let him know- another of our many games- or contests. I didn’t show the warmth I felt at his attempt, instead turning my head and looking down at him with no expression. From the corner of my eye, I saw the falcon turn her head in exactly the same way and it was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud. And then she took flight, giving me the distraction I needed to plan my next step. And a step was what I took- straight off the tree limb and into open air.

Athlain did not care for heights, and I saw him open and then close his mouth as my slow fall amulet worked its spell. When my feet touched the ground, I raised my left eyebrow just a fraction, so much more effective than actually saying anything. In our complicated system of competitions, the person who spoke first lost. He barely managed to avoid saying anything about my efficient descent from the tree, but couldn’t completely stifle his sigh- a point for me.

Then he started talking about my small… misunderstanding… with Korst. That was a change of subject- another point to my side, especially when he exaggerated by claiming I had tried to “brain” the shaman. He was also holding the stone I had thrown just out of reach, obviously trying to goad me into a physical reaction. Instead, I noted that brains seemed to be in short supply of late and held out my hand. And Athlain just… froze.

I wondered if this was a new tactic; he usually responded by tossing words faster than I could fling darts. But then he asked if I had gotten a tattoo, and I began to wonder if something had addled him. I couldn’t resist asking him if he had “seen an elf,” but his eyes kept flicking back and forth from the Ristaag stone to my palm. He seemed on the verge of having a fit. The shaman’s hut was full of strange powders and potions- it would be just like Athlain to handle something he shouldn’t- or get too close during one of Korst’s “ceremonies.” Finally, he dropped the rune into my hand and croaked,

“Look.”

So I did.

Both the stone and my palm bore identical symbols- the Skaal sign for the Great Bear. Even as I recognized the sign, I felt myself drawn back into that place outside of time, felt a pair of huge, shaggy limbs embracing me, holding me safe. The deep, amused voice of the Spirit Bear murmured in my mind,

“You carried my heart; it is only right that you also carry my mark. I hope you like it.”

I mentally thanked her for placing a small mark on my hand, rather than the way poor Sattir had been adorned, with the tattoo covering his entire face. I would have had a hard time explaining that to Mother. Another low chuckle echoed in my mind and then the Spirit Bear was gone and Athlain was still standing in front me, looking as though he wished he could vanish. He could be so silly sometimes- acting like I was some horrible ogre. The Spirit Bear’s sign meant things were moving, and that I would have some supernatural help in the fight with Hircine. All of which meant it was time to go see Korst- if I could shake Athlain loose from his impersonation of a tree.

“Athlain! Are you coming? Or do you plan to stand there gaping? We have work to do.”

Before Athynae and I reached the shaman’s hut, we saw what at first appeared to be a fast-moving cloud approaching the village from the north. My hand went to the Gift, although what use the mace would be against vapor, I did not know. But I feared some new attack by Hircine or one of the other Daedric princes who had made this island their playground. As we watched, the cloud resolved itself into a great flock of carrion birds winging their way to the coast. Athynae, whose eyesight was far better than mine, shuddered and said,

“There has been a great slaughter somewhere nearby. Everyone of them was carrying flesh in their beaks.”

When we reached Korst’s hut, the shaman explained what we had seen.

“Like the fire on Lake Fjalding, this is possibly another sign of the Bloodmoon. The hunters have found many dead horkers along the northern coast of Solstheim. The birds feast today, but the Skaal will soon starve if this continues. However, there is another possibility- one I wish you to investigate. Far to the north, there is a castle of ice, where the giant Karstaag makes his home. We have been at peace with him and with the rieklings he controls, but perhaps they are behind this mischief. The rieklings have no love for the Skaal, nor for any other race except their own. And we have not heard from Karstaag in some time. If he is absent or incapacitated, the rieklings may be taking this opportunity to indulge their bloodlust.”

Korst looked as troubled as I had ever seen him as he continued, “You will not be able to enter Castle Karstaag through the front door, but some of our scouts have found another way- an underwater passage that will provide entry into the castle. Please go and find out what Karstaag knows of this slaughter. Be careful, for his temper is chancy and his reasons are his own. He respects strength and honesty, so I can think of no better envoys to send.”

He gave us a solemn nod and left us to our preparations for the northward journey.

Athynae was typically terse- “Korst may believe what he likes- that this Karstaag has something to do with the dying horkers- but I know it is Hircine. This is exactly the kind of cruelty he would inflict. Still, if he requires proof of this Bloodmoon prophecy, we will get it for him- and get back as quick as we can. I am ready for this to be ended.”

Even so, there were some preparations to make. Korst had told us that the way into the castle was through an underwater passage. That meant potions- water breathing and resist frost, at least. Though I trusted my own alchemy skill, it seemed prudent to ask Athynae, especially since she would have an opinion in any case.

“These are safe to use together, yes? They won’t interact to turn me purple with green spots or anything?”

“No, but you will want to avoid anything with hackle lo for a while afterwards- unless you don’t mind having your hair fall out.”

I touched my scalp. “Um….”

She punched me lightly in the shoulder and said, “You’re too easy.”

Considering that my hair was one of my vanities, I supposed that was true. Even without side effects from the potions, I wasn’t looking forward to another swim in Solstheim’s icy waters. The resist frost would help that, but getting everything dry afterward was another matter. “Water breathing” is not the same as “waterproof.” An arming vest full of cold water under a steel breastplate was a formula for freezing to death in short order.

Athynae always accused me of thinking too much, she preferred to just get on with whatever “adventure” had fired her imagination. But I had reason to know that the result of not thinking ahead was that I would eventually have to think fast later- usually about how to explain things to our parents and sometimes even the civil and temple authorities. The Redoran guards and the Tribunal Temple in Ald’ruhn had thick files regarding the two of us- I knew, because they pulled them out at every opportunity. Their habit of writing everything down seemed to me an unfair burden; it meant I was constantly having to find new and creative answers that stayed just on the right side of honesty. My preparations, accompanied by Athynae’s pointed sighs and frequent finger tapping, were over soon enough, and we left the Skaal village.

Some scenes from the trek to Castle Karstaag I would gladly forget. We first went east to the coast, because we both believed in seeing for ourselves rather than simply trusting someone else’s report. But there was no exaggeration- the shore was littered with dead horkers. With so much meat available, the wolves and bears ignored us, a mixed blessing; I think we both wanted to fight… something to relieve the tension. By the time we silently agreed to turn north, Athynae’s face had become a mask of pain and fury. She was always the champion of the innocent, and she saw this latest ploy of Hircine as a foul tactic, a manifestation of evil and depravity. As she put it, in one of the rare statements she uttered until we had left the carcasses far behind, “It’s like the time I caught Bugstain and his crew using a burning glass on those scribs.”

The incident she mentioned is too long to tell here, but what should be understood is that ‘Thyna had no love for scribs. And that was beside the point. She despised cruelty with every fiber of her being. If she had come across someone tormenting a Winged Twilight, she would have taken the Twilight’s part- most probably with an arrow or dart through the eye to end its pain; but it would be a quick, merciful death. And then the would-be tormentor would be given a lesson in the true meaning of suffering….

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 31 2017, 03:40 PM
Post #1332

Ancient
Group Icon

*mALX faints* GAAAAAAH !!!! You are continuing Athlain's and Athynae's story!!!! WOO HOO !!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Feb 19 2017, 10:42 PM
Post #1333

Master
Group Icon

@mALX- Oh yes. Still scuffling away at it. Now that my computer is back in the den, I should be able to actually play Morrowind... any day now...

--------------------------

“If we go much further north, we’ll be in Skyrim,” Athynae observed from her place in the lead.

“Would that be such a bad thing? I mean obviously not while we’re trying to stop Hircine and find my commander and prevent a pitched battle between the Legion and the Skaal… and look for a missing giant. But someday?”

“Maybe. But I think I’d rather see the Imperial City first- and the Nibenay Valley. That’s where Mother is from.”

“Yes. My mother, too. You know, they’re cousins or something. She tried to explain it to me once, but the relationships got more convoluted and tangled than one of the Red Terrors’ schemes and I got a headache. Besides, she doesn’t usually talk about her life back then anyway. Something happened- something to do with her first marriage.”

Athynae’s steps faltered and she looked back at me over her shoulder. “Aunt Baria was married before? How did I not know?”

“Like I said, she doesn’t talk about it much- and while I’m sure Aunt Serene knows, she has that whole ‘Inscrutable Archmistress of Redoran’ thing that she does. Sometimes, I think she keeps more secrets than the sea….”

“Um.” Athynae walked a few steps in silence and then changed the subject. “Do you think there’s really a giant?”

We were getting along better than we had in some time, so I followed her conversational lead.

“I’m not sure. Korst seems to think so. But maybe this Karstaag is just a taller than average Nord. Even the runty ones look pretty huge to me.”

Talking of Karstaag reminded me of something else Korst had mentioned- something about the “giant’s” relationship to the rieklings. That thought did not make me happy.

“I’m really not so sure about going to see this “king of the rieklings.” Those things are…” I shuddered.

“Oh, they can’t be all that bad- I mean they’re only 3 feet tall, right?”

“Maybe so, but they nearly killed me when I got to Hrothmund’s Barrow! I could show you the scars those little ba-, uh, beasts gave me.”

“Oh, keep your shirt on. I doubt we will even see any of them.”

Athynae’s joke calmed me, as much because it was unexpected as anything else. Bright as she was, she didn’t share her sister’s lightning wit, but she could still surprise me with a straight-faced pun or verbal jab. But talking about the battle at the Barrow reminded me of yet another issue- the reason I had come to Solstheim in the first place.

“So… remember that odd magical amulet I asked you to take to Louis Beauchamp…?”

I stopped short of actually asking if she had given him the bauble- Athynae would have read that as questioning her reliability- which would be the same as questioning her honor- which would be a Bad Idea. And besides, the easy banter we had just recently recovered would vanish like mist in a gale. She did not answer immediately, and I was sure I had offended her as we walked another dozen steps in silence. Just as I was casting about for yet another change of subject, she spoke in a low voice,

“He is a very peculiar man.”

That matched my own assessment, but I could tell that Athynae had something specific in mind, something she was having trouble putting into words. I settled for a neutral “Yes,” to give her time.

“When I handed him the amulet, he examined it with a jeweler’s glass and compared it to some drawings he had in a journal. Then he put it on and gave me an odd look.”

As if in concert with her memory, Athynae’s face also assumed an expression that I would have called embarrassment if I didn’t know better. She turned her head away and mumbled something that I couldn’t quite hear.

“Excuse me? Could you repeat that? It sounded like ‘Hem masked tracks ivy.’ Which I think you will agree makes no sense.”

She stopped and turned to face me and there was no question- she was blushing. She gritted out, “He asked me if I found him… attractive!”

With tremendous effort, I fought down the grin that wanted to emerge. Consideration of the injuries she had probably inflicted on the hapless Breton made it easier for me to maintain a mildly curious expression. Meanwhile, she was rushing forward, having gotten past the largest hurdle in her story.

“But it wasn’t like he was asking me… well… you know. It was more like the way Rah looks when he’s testing one of his new potions and asks how you’re feeling. He wasn’t seeing me as a person, exactly- more like the subject of an experiment. Anyway, I just stared at him for a minute and then left.” She waved her hands as if to push away the confusion of the memory. “Short of dumping his drink on his head and telling him to cool off, I didn’t know how to answer a question like that.”

She whirled back around and marched north with a determined set to her shoulders. For my part, I decided to store that bit of information for later, when Athynae didn’t have anything liquid handy.

“…more secrets than the sea.” Athlain’s offhand words echoed in my brain. It was odd to think of our parents having secrets, pasts about which we knew nothing. Mother had been sent to the Imperial Prison- I knew about that, because it was part of her “public legend.” She used it when necessary to persuade doubtful Dunmer that she would not automatically side with the Empire on every issue. And she and Uncle Trey would joke about it sometimes, saying they should start a club called “Former Guests of the Empire’s Hospitality.”

Besides all that, I had her journals nestled in my pack. I reached back a hand to reassure myself the bundle of books was still there, under my spare clothes. Of course, I had read hardly any of them- too much had been going on to allow for a long quiet read. And anyway, I was still irritated with her, even if I couldn’t remember exactly why. But I was sure I had good reason. And after all, the events in those journals were from a long time ago. I needed to focus on the present. There was nothing in Mother’s past that would have any effect on what was happening now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 26 2017, 02:38 AM
Post #1334

Ancient
Group Icon

I am so excited to see this back on the top! It is really inspiring to see you writing again - will inspire me to work harder at getting back to reading again !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kazaera
post Feb 26 2017, 01:59 PM
Post #1335

Finder
Group Icon

Hey, it's Athlain and Athynae! It's so great to see them getting an update! *props self next to the fire, chin in hands, ready to listen to the story...*

I'm still really enjoying Athlain and Athynae's relationship and their interplay, also - in this latest installment - the talk about their parents and the things they do/don't know about their past (or don't care to know - that last sentence of Athynae's has "famous last words" written aaaaall over it!) It's a nice further glimpse into the complicated experience of growing up as a child of a hero and asserting your self and your independence from that starting point... which I guess is really what this story is about, isn't it?

And Athynae still manages to be a very compelling character. In the previous installments, her frustration with the hunting Nords (torches!!) and then how she blamed both them and herself for their deaths really jumped off the page to hit you in the heart.

“I’m not sure. Korst seems to think so. But maybe this Karstaag is just a taller than average Nord. Even the runty ones look pretty huge to me.”

laugh.gif Believe me, Athlain, Adryn really feels you on this one!

“But it wasn’t like he was asking me… well… you know. It was more like the way Rah looks when he’s testing one of his new potions and asks how you’re feeling. He wasn’t seeing me as a person, exactly- more like the subject of an experiment. Anyway, I just stared at him for a minute and then left.” She waved her hands as if to push away the confusion of the memory. “Short of dumping his drink on his head and telling him to cool off, I didn’t know how to answer a question like that.”

Ha! What an amazing conclusion to that quest, indeed. Personally, I think dumping his drink on his head would have been a perfectly acceptable way to answer that question!

And anyway, I was still irritated with her, even if I couldn’t remember exactly why.

I'd say Athynae still has some growing up to do but that may just be her personality... blink.gif

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing where you take this. It does feel as if this chapter of Athlain and Athynae's lives is slowly drawing to a close... and the mentions of travelling to Cyrodiil have given me a niggling suspicion as to what might come next.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 21 2017, 03:16 PM
Post #1336

Councilor
Group Icon

“Red-headed tree elf,” yikes! I’m sure that Athlain knows he should be ready to duck. biggrin.gif

How marvelous that after all of these adventures away from home, it’s recalling his father’s words that sparks Athlain’s recognition that Athynae is the One Thing.

I am hopping from one foot to the other over Athynae’s reluctance to read Serene’s journals. There was nothing in Mother’s past that would have any effect on what was happening now made me want to yell through the screen that she should make sure! laugh.gif

Oh, and “Short of dumping his drink on his head and telling him to cool off, I didn’t know how to answer a question like that.” Athynae doesn’t chatter idly. I hope Athlain figures out why she mentioned that incident! *hops around some more*

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jan 13 2018, 05:41 PM
Post #1337

Master
Group Icon

@mALX- Still struggling along with it. I think knowing that I am nearing the end has been as much a deterrent to writing as anything else. Still... they (and you) deserve to see what happens next.

@Kazaera- Your words regarding Athynae's character warm my heart, considering what an excellent job you do with Adryn (and her supporting cast). These two are such fun to write that, as mentioned to mALX, I think I have slowed down because I know it is getting near the finish.

@Grits- Athlain, like so many sons before him, is starting to realize that maybe Dad knew a few things, after all.
And the dance between the two continues- if fact, there are references to dancing in this installment!

And so- after far too long a delay- again! Here is more Blood on the Moon.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

We had been traveling more west than north for some time, and the bodies of horkers were scattered all along the gravel beach. The sight fanned my rage against Hircine. Whatever Korst thought, I knew whose Daedric hands were stained with the creatures' innocent blood. Meanwhile, Athlain was talking- explaining- trying to rationalize why he had been gathering firewood along the way and adding it to his burden of armor and shield. I was only giving him a fraction of my attention; the rest was concentrated on our surroundings. I stopped walking and caught more of what he was saying,

“… so that’s why I’ve been picking up these branches. Do you have some oilcloth to wrap them?”

When he realized I was looking at him, he made a gesture as if soothing an agitated guar, then muttered, “You know I’m better at fire magic, so…”

“Athlain…”

“So I should go first when we get to the underwater passage, so I can…”

“Athlain….”

“…build the fire, and ….”

Athlain! Hush!

He stopped talking and blinked at me, as if just realizing I was there. Now that I had his attention, it was time for a lesson.

“What do you smell?”

He wrinkled his nose. “Rotten eggs?”

“Right. And what does that mean?”

“That we are going to have be on short rations for a while?”

I rolled my eyes and pointed to a nearby pool surrounded by boulders.

“What do you notice about that pool?”

“It’s steaming and bubbling.”

“Right again. It’s a hot spring. And it’s also the entry to Castle Karstaag. So we won’t be needing your firewood- or your fire magic. And my groundsheet will be more useful for keeping my armor dry. Oh- and also- I will be going first.”

I couldn’t resist adding, “You can build a fire or something while I scout the passage.”

That would have been a great line on which to exit, but there was still the problem of my leathers. Brimstone-laden water would not be good for them, nor for the silver (Nordic silver- yes, Brynn) inlay. So I turned back to where Athlain was shuffling his feet and fidgeting.

“Actually, you should build that fire or find something else to occupy yourself, because I need to change out of my armor and this is not Desele's Garden, nor do I wish to put on a show.”

His mouth opened, but no sound came out and I struggled to maintain a serious expression. I held up two empty potion vials, one red and the other green.

“Once I get through, I will float one of these back. Green means ‘all clear’ and red means ‘hurry’.”

His mouth snapped shut and he looked at me with one of his Athlain grins. “And I suppose both at once means you forgot the water-breathing potion and drowned?”

I just pointed to where I wanted him to stand while I took off my armor. Sometimes, it was better to let him have the last word. And anyway, I was still going into the castle first. I resisted the unwarrior-like impulse to stick out my tongue at his back. Of course, that had nothing to do with the fact that I had almost forgotten to drink the potion.

Build a fire. Don't build a fire. Go there. Go here. Don't stub your toe kicking those rocks.” Sometimes Athynae frustrated me beyond bearing. What if I got eaten by a bear while she was swimming into Castle Karstaag? Well, no need to get too dramatic. Winning an argument by being mauled and eaten was farther than I really wanted to go. And besides, she would just accuse my mangled remains of cheating.

I was an officer of the Imperial Legion, for Azura's sake! We were “the tip of the spear,” “the best of the best,” “the chosen of the Empire.” Even I had to roll my eyes a bit at all that high-flown description. But I should have gone first, except there was no way I could have managed it, short of attempting main force. Against Athynae? Some things were best not thought of. And if you did, try to think of something else quick. Ah well, even officers had to obey orders. But that was what grated- why did I always end up taking orders from 'Thyna? And I also wondered when I would learn not to argue with her. She was only a few months older, but she wielded that difference like a club.

And speaking of clubs, how had she ever heard of Desele's Garden? Of course, if she did decide to dance there.... Um. Another thought that was best not to think about, especially not while she was removing her armor not too many yards away. She had the hearing as well as the eyesight of an elf, and probably the ability to read my thoughts, if past experience was any indication. Beyond all that, for Athynae, dancing was remarkably similar to sparring- her partners generally ended battered, bruised, and wondering what had just happened. That sounded familiar.

I shook my head, trying to rein my thoughts in, to focus on the reason we were here, but my brain refused to cooperate. The thing was, she had never been a “girl,” not like her sister Bree; she was just... Athynae. So most of the time I didn't even consider such things, but every once in a while, the sun would shine in her hair or I would see her laughing in the firelight and my heart would lurch. I really needed to think about something else, because the prospect of being attacked by a bear was looking better and better. But before I could think of a reliable method to attract a suitably hungry bear- they never seemed to be around when you needed them- I heard a quiet splash as Athynae entered the pool. I turned to watch her shapely feet (think of something else- please!) disappear below the surface. And then all that was left for me was to wait. And think about glaciers and the sea and frost giants and hungry bears- really, just one- a small one, or even a wolf would be welcome.

Then the green potion vial bobbed to the surface of the hot spring. It was possible a giant waited on the other side of that passage, but Athynae certainly did. And for the first time in a great many days, I felt a shiver of fear.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kazaera
post Jan 14 2018, 10:37 PM
Post #1338

Finder
Group Icon

More Athlain and Athynae!!

For what it's worth, I understand the problem of "I don't want to finish it" (the amount of video games I've left at 95% completion, among others...) and hope you'll persevere.

Anyway! I love the sheer richness of their world. From the problem of how not to freeze to death from cold water even if you have a waterbreathing spell, to the sulfur pools, to the signals through coloured potion bottles - it's all very vibrant and *real*, very interwoven with reality instead of reading like, well, a video game! Taking notes here. smile.gif

Also, Athlain and Athynae's interplay never ceases to make me smile. Desele's Garden! Athynae ignoring Athlain! Athlain indignant because *he* should have gone first! Let's hope they manage to keep things from exploding until they've dealt with the possibly-giant at the other end, at least.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Mar 31 2018, 01:00 PM
Post #1339

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

I started reading from where I'd left off (over 3 years ago - ye gads) but quickly realised that though I could remember large chunks of what had gone before, details were eluding me. Such a large part of the joy of reading this has always been the interplay between Athlain and Athynae and seeing them grow, and I couldn't bear to be reading this with those details missing.

So, I did the only thing I could think of.

Start from the beginning and read it all the way through. Taken me two weeks, but now I can say in all honesty that I'm well and truly caught up.

And it's just as good as I remembered it being.

S.G.M. with an ever so slight emphasis on the "M" please. tongue.gif

Please sir, can I have another?
+Quote Post
treydog
post Aug 11 2018, 04:46 PM
Post #1340

Master
Group Icon

So, for the moment anyway, I have gotten past whatever "stuck place" was holding me back. I could run through the usual list, but we all know it and all live it every day, so I will skip the boring details. The good news- besides more story- I am "feeling it" once more. And I guess that's one of the (many) things that separates me from actual professional writers- I am not able to just get in there and push through it every day. But, I am happy with what follows and hope you will be, too.

@Kazaera- High praise indeed from you, who have added so much detail and background and just plain "of course that's how that would work" to the bare bones of Morrowind. And those little (hopefully) imaginative concepts like the potion vial signal and Athynae throwing Athlain off by mentioning Desele's... Those are some of the parts I enjoy the most, because they add depth in a way that you manage so well. And the A and A team are so much fun to simply turn loose and watch the fireworks, especially because neither one is yet quite aware of WHY they strike sparks from one another....

@Burnt Sierra- And I reward your longtime friendship and reading with months of no new words. I am a bad person. I cannot tell you how much your continued enjoyment of this effort means. And, at long last, here is the bit more you so kindly requested.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The underwater passage wasn't very long and ended at a shallow ledge, beyond which was a door. Castle Karstaag lay on the other side and I was somewhat tempted to go have a look around. But if I did that, Athlain would never let me hear the end of it- and he would probably get himself into trouble if I left him alone for too long. Besides, the small chamber held a pleasant warmth from the hot spring and I stretched and wrung the water out of my hair. I considered sending the signal, but decided to wait a bit, at least until my undergarments had dried and I could get back into my leathers.

Athlain always accused me of rushing forward without thinking, but that wasn't true. What I did was think about things ahead of time, so when I needed to act, there was no hesitation. So I tried to always be prepared for whatever might happen. Like my remark about Desele's. I'd been saving that one, because I knew it would stop Athlain's too-clever brain for just long enough for me to win an argument.
And even so, I had had to look closely to see his ears turn red, a subtle sign that my trick had worked.

It's too late to plan your next move when the blades are already out.

And when it came to battles with words, Athlain was usually quicker than me. Of course, to be fair- and only inside my own mind- when the time had come to fight with weapons, Athlain was actually very good. I gave myself and all the sparring we had done some of the credit, but since he had joined the Legion, he was... different. Sometimes, when he was concentrating on making camp or watching for threats, I hardly recognized the quiet, confident man who inhabited the place where Athlain used to be.

I shook my head. No. Despite the muscles, the deep voice, the calm thoughtful eyes- he was still Athlain. My Athlain. Wait. What? I shook my head again, more forcefully. What I meant was, he was still my responsibility. Just that. There must be something besides brimstone in the air, something that blurred my thoughts.

The best thing to do would be to get moving again, get inside the “castle” and find the giant. Again, I considered that I would do just fine going by myself, but if left to his own devices, Athlain would probably get into trouble- pick a fight with a bear... or a Daedra. He frustrated me sometimes, but I never questioned his bravery. He just tended to decide to be brave at awkward moments. Like running off to join the Legion in the first place. What had he been thinking? Thinking... I was doing too much of that again, myself. Whatever ailment he had was afflicting me now. That's what came of too much time alone in the wilderness with him.

Well, the cure for that was to send the signal and get through the door. I sorted through my alchemy kit, looking for the green vial I was supposed to send back. How can it be gone? I just had it. I hated losing anything- it was a reaction against the relative wealth of my family, I suppose. Other councilors- and their spoiled br... offspring, were terribly wasteful. But Mother and Father maintained a degree of simplicity that would have looked like parsimony from the outside. But it was really the opposite- when they commissioned or purchased something, they made sure it was built to last. Which meant they rarely needed to buy anything new. And I especially liked to keep up with my alchemy supplies, because good glassware was precious. Another reason was that potion-making, when it was done properly, imbued the result with something of the maker- and sympathetic (or in this case malicious) magic using personal items was well-known.

Even as those thoughts went through my mind, and my fingers danced over the vials, I came across one midnight dark flask that I nearly hurled against the wall in frustration- the one that had contained the lycanthropy “cure” that left me night-blind. But... I heard brother Rah's voice in my mind:

“If you come across anything...interesting... please bring me a sample. Even if it's a poison or a failed experiment; I can still learn from it.”

When he talked about learning, he looked like a hungry guar contemplating a full berry bush. Of course, it also sounded as if he expected me to come back to Ald'Ruhn leading a dragon on a string, but still. With a sigh I put the hated container back, knowing it held the dregs of the potion Athlain had worked so hard to prepare. And, a part of me wondered, why had he made such an effort? That wasn't how it was supposed to work. I kept him alive- that was the arrangement and it wasn't fair for him to go changing it- or changing himself, either. I had won the argument about swimming into the unknown, but only just barely.

One good thing about all the random thoughts- I had dried sufficiently to put on my leathers. As always, I began the chant as I unwrapped my armor and weapons and started the task of redressing, thankful that the oil cloth had done a good job of keeping everything reasonably dry.

Left leg, right leg. Your legs are your main weapon.
You don't swing with your arms, you swing with your legs.
Build the foundation on which everything else depends...

My mind began to wander back toward the surface of the pool and how Athlain was going to get himself with his tin suit and dinner plate through the water and keep it dry so he didn't rust motionless.

"I will not carry an oil can in my pack just to keep you mobile."

I directed my words at the steaming water, while still rummaging for the vial I needed to signal Athlain, because if I didn't, he would probably jump in, armor and all, and sink straight to the bottom. And meanwhile, we were supposed to talk to a missing giant, and find out why the horkers were dying. Except I knew why they were dying- it was Hircine and his stupid Hunt. And with that thought, I at last found the green bottle, nestled in my pocket, right where I had put it after showing it to Athlain. Back into the current it went, and if I propelled it with a bit more force than was necessary, I was the only one there to see.

Before long, bubbles began to rise and pop at the surface, followed by a shadow. I reached and put my hand on Dreamer's hilt as Athlain's head broke the surface. And then his shoulders. When had they gotten so wide? They seemed to span the cavern. And then his chest followed and my brain was screaming, “Turn around; look away; close your eyes!" But I was transfixed, paralyzed as if I'd been hit with one of Kausha's spells. I'd seen him before, of course I had, but the muscles, that chest like marble, his stomach divided into six, no wait, eight, very distinct sections... and....

" 'Thyna if you don't want me to audition for Desele's, I suggest you turn around, because what isn't in the water is getting cold and I need to get out to get dressed." With a smirk he added, “Not that I think Desele's patrons would appreciate the show.”

My traitor brain murmured, “The patrons might not, but I bet the other dancers would...” Shut up, shut up! Where is this coming from?

I jumped and turned, hopefully before he saw my face go up in flames. I couldn't very well yell at him for throwing my line back at me, but HOLY GUAR DUNG! I heard the water cascading off as he sloshed out of the pool, and then the metal clang as his gear hit the ground.

Without turning, I noted, "Well if we were hoping to surprise them it's out the the question now!"

Some small part of me almost wished for an attack just to prove my point, but then I retracted the thought as I realized that would mean fighting beside a partially nude Athlain and that just wouldn't work. Something might happen to important parts he might need later, like his... arm or something, something usually covered by armor- lots and lots of armor. Would something or someone please distract me from this train of thought!

"Hey, 'Thyna" Athlain whispered harshly, "Did you hear that?"

No, I hadn't heard anything but my stupid brain running off on some stupid tangent about stupid battles with half naked Athlains everywhere. "What? I didn't hear anything." I still resolutely kept my eyes focused on the door leading out of the cavern. Where was a giant when I needed one? Or even a kagouti, or a cliff racer, or...

Athlain stepped up beside me as he pushed his left arm into the straps of his ridiculous giant platter and looked at me like I was someone he didn't know. "Are you all right? What's wrong?"

I gave him one of my 'you're ridiculous' looks.

"I'm fine; maybe I still have water in my ears."

And I shook my head to get it out, along with the last vestiges of that horrible mental path lined with partially-clothed Athlains that I did not want to climb...EVER AGAIN.

He shrugged, settling the rest of his tin suit. "I heard a shuffling sound, maybe footsteps, but now it's gone."

"Well you have your giant hammer and your dinner tray, so we can get moving. Maybe we'll find them before they find us- if all your clanking and banging hasn't scared them off." There, that was better. Think about sniping at his choice of gear, instead of the.... other things, that I absolutely was not going to think about.

"You know, 'Thyna, my 'dinner tray' has served me well," he chuckled at himself as I rolled my eyes.

"You are such a guar's butt and your jokes aren't funny."

"Then why do you smile, sometimes?"

"Because you try so hard I must occasionally reward your effort."

"One of us has to at least make an attempt at humor."

I was preparing to punch him, as much to get things back on a familiar footing as because- I admit it- I kind of liked punching him; when I heard it, feet scooting along a rough floor, and what sounded like mumbling. I held up my fist and tilted my head to focus not only on the sounds and their direction but also searching for a smell, a clue as to what we might be dealing with. I held up one finger, no not the one I often used in conversation with Athlain, but instead the one to indicate it was only one something. I... tasted the scent- bristleback, ice, something else I did not recognize.... I mouthed the word “riekling,” with a shrug to indicate “maybe.”

--------------------

+Quote Post

73 Pages V « < 65 66 67 68 69 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:11 AM