Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Ultimate TES game, What would you like to see Bethesda do?
Vital
post Apr 8 2014, 09:48 AM
Post #21

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 8 2014, 05:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Apr 2 2014, 03:37 PM) *

It always pisses me off over at Bethsoft when something is being discussed and someone just rolls in and says "mods'll fix it" mad.gif

Even though I´m on PC I still agree with this. I´d like to have a pure vanilla game but I feel forced to use third-party programs just to get the game working the way it should have worked from the beginning! mad.gif

Oh, well. I guess a perfect game would be boring anyway... biggrin.gif

As a console player, I completely agree with Callidus. Bethesda relies too heavily on the modding community and often hides behind it. Bethesda can make an average game and knows that the console players will cope and the PC community will just fix it with mods. Mods should be used to add to the game and change it, not fix problems with the game and improve it to the standard it should be at.

Maybe you're right, 'rocu. A perfect game probably would become boring. However I'd like to see the TES games made to a higher standard, better suited to it's 'true' fan base.

--------------------
I'll probably disappear for a minimum of 10 minutes after this post..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 8 2014, 09:53 AM
Post #22

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vital @ Apr 8 2014, 10:48 AM) *

Maybe you're right, 'rocu. A perfect game probably would become boring. However I'd like to see the TES games made to a higher standard, better suited to it's 'true' fan base.

goodjob.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Apr 8 2014, 10:06 AM
Post #23

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vital @ Apr 8 2014, 09:48 AM) *

However I'd like to see the TES games made to a higher standard, better suited to it's 'true' fan base.

*applauds*

That said, post-Skyrim I no longer consider myself part of the TES fanbase. Bethesda simply aren't taking the games in a direction that interests me. I'll stick to Oblivion, and Morrowind if I ever get around to firing it up again laugh.gif

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 8 2014, 10:12 AM
Post #24

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Apr 8 2014, 11:06 AM) *

I no longer consider myself part of the TES fanbase. Bethesda simply aren't taking the games in a direction that interests me. I'll stick to Oblivion, and Morrowind if I ever get around to firing it up again laugh.gif

goodjob.gif again

I have no opinion of my own... laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Apr 8 2014, 10:39 AM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

What I'd really like to see brought back to TES, what I think is needed, is weapons. One handed/two handed is about the dumbest possible way to split the weapons up, and there just isn't enough diversity in the weapons anymore.

They need to get over their obsession with long swords, and spread the high wuality gear around some. Far too many of the "best" weapons were longswords in Oblivion; Goldbrand, Umbra The Ebony Blade, The Honorblade of Chorrol, Dawnfang/Duskfang, and there were probably others. And compare that to the number of axes of a similar quality:... Oh wait, there weren't any sad.gif And Morrowind wasn't much different.

Staves need to go back to being staves, not magic based guns. Some of Morrowind's staves were fantastic, while Oblivion were generally just... meh.

But the biggest change I think needs to happen is the reintroduction of on-use enchantments. Maybe limit them to rings and amulets, but it would be nice for a fighter to be able to open a locked door without needing to use a lockpick, or for a mage in Skyrim, from what I've heard.

This post has been edited by Callidus Thorn: Apr 8 2014, 10:39 AM

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
Vital
post Apr 8 2014, 11:07 AM
Post #26

Mouth
Group Icon

I still enjoyed Skyrim, despite many of the changes annoying me. In fact, I spawned one of my favourite TES characters ever and plan to go back and play through the other games with him once he is (mostly) done with Skyrim. I believe their were mods that brought back attributes, classes and such from the previous instalments in the series but being on console I never used any of these. It was just my imagination that kept the game an RPG and not another open-world action adventure game except in first-person.

I always imagined my classes before I made a character, and tried to stick to them. Only levelled up after I had slept, only joined factions that it would make sense to join for that character and his/her circumstances and dragged out these questlines myself, often by pretending other quests/misc. jobs were related to the faction. In general I used my imagination to make the game fit my own needs, almost like mods within my head.

This worked fine for me and I was still able to enjoy the game greatly, but I often ask myself; "If I buy a game, produced by one of the most renowned developer's in the gaming industry, for $90 to play on a machine that cost me $600, should I really have to use my own imagination to such an extent, just to get the full enjoyment out of the game?"

The answer is no. I can imagine its a similar situation with mods. They are wonderful and should be used to greatly increase the enjoyment gained from the game, but not as a means to improve the game to the level it should already be at.

C'mon Bethesda... Please

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 8 2014, 12:50 PM
Post #27

Paladin
Group Icon

I want reins on horses (like Oblivion didn't have). Oh, and the ability to take their tack off and put it on so the poor animals don't have to sleep under saddle. And working saddlebags of course - after all, a horse should be able to carry as much as. . . well, a horse. wink.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Vital
post Apr 8 2014, 01:12 PM
Post #28

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Apr 8 2014, 09:50 PM) *

I want reins on horses (like Oblivion didn't have). Oh, and the ability to take their tack off and put it on so the poor animals don't have to sleep under saddle. And working saddlebags of course - after all, a horse should be able to carry as much as. . . well, a horse. wink.gif

Saddles and saddlebags that are more than animations are definite must have! It's so annoying because the horses in Skyrim actually have saddlebags on their backs, but you can't actually interact with them.

Facepalm Bethesda!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 8 2014, 01:15 PM
Post #29

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh, horses! I would also like mounts and animal followers to have simple commands. Follow or stay, fight or flee, home marker and go home. A follower command for Use This Horse would make me very happy. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Vital
post Apr 8 2014, 01:21 PM
Post #30

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Apr 8 2014, 10:15 PM) *
A follower command for Use This Horse would make me very happy. smile.gif

Me too! No longer would my characters have to feel guilty for either leaving their horse behind for their follower or letting their follower tag along a mile behind them as they ride their trusty steed.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Jan 27 2015, 12:59 AM
Post #31

Knower
Group Icon

The perfect TES game? That isn't Morrowind? tongue.gif

Well, let's see...

I would like better hair styles. I know this is a minor issue, but what does Bethesda have against bangs? I would also like to be able to change hairstyles. If I'm going adventuring, then a pony tail is fine but if I'm dressed up, I'd like a nicer style.

I would like to see somewhere that doesn't look so.... Europe/North America. I get why Skyrim looked like that, but as I recall, Cyrodiil was described as jungle. I did not see any jungles. Besides, there are so many Western styled games. There's so much more to draw inspiration from! Or create! That was one thing I loved about Morrowind. It was so new.

As for housing, I liked being able to buy them and customize certain rooms. To expand on that, there could be a "decorating mode" that pops up as an option when you enter the home or you can click on a specific piece of furniture. In the decorating mode, you can rearrange the furniture, get rid of things, or put in new items. There could be an option for the display cases so you don't knock things out of them accidentally -_-

Keeping with the Hearthfire theme, if you buy a plot of land, I think that should be fully customized as well. If I have space for (and can afford) a house with ten bedrooms, then that's what I want. The building of the house can have a "build mode" option where you place the foundation on your land. It can show the borders and once you pick it, you're stuck with it. Then you do the normal building like in Hearthfire. Then any additions to the home has to fit properly or you can add a story. Maybe you can eventually have fencing or another house, like the strongholds in Morrowind.

The seasons should change somewhat. Instead of rain at random, a rainy season. And people would likely be indoors during the rainy season. Maybe inns would be booked. Bandit caves would have them all inside. Same with snow or wind or extreme heat.

Holidays too. We have a calendar system, so why not? And some could be more culture-specific. So maybe the Dark Elves are celebrating something while everyone else just goes along with their daily lives.

If children are going to stay, I'd like to see children of other races, not just human kids. And I would be very happy to see an interracial family every so often.

If marriage is going to be an option, then I would like the marriage pool to open up. There were no Khajiit or Bosmers! And literally no one in the Thieves Guild? I would also like it to mean something. It just seemed so...blah in Skyrim. Maybe your marriage has certain effects based on who you marry. If you marry a beggar or someone with high status, it affects how people treat you. And your spouse has certain standards. How will the react if they find out you're a part of the Thieves Guild? Or the Fighters Guild? If you never have any money? If you're a warrior or not?

If you have pets of any kind, I agree with the tell them to wait function. I felt so bad when my pet scrib got killed sad.gif

Animals should run away from certain fights. People should too. In Skyrim, they say they give up but they just keep going. It's like, they just saw me kill a dragon and now they want to fight me? For real?

I liked in Morrowind how certain factions didn't like each other and others were close knit.

That's everything I can think of for now

--------------------
Madness Helps Me Save Myself
Nemesis

Standing on the cliffs that kiss burning winds
We are rising together
Brazen, exalting, a hiss of triumph rings
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Jan 29 2015, 12:23 AM
Post #32

Mouth
Group Icon

My ultimate TES game would look something like this:

Foremost it would be called TES VI: Alinor and it would be set in the Summerset Isles/Alinor for two reasons. First would be the foreign and interesting landscapes and architecture alluded to by Jacki above. Second would be for the purposes of the story. At this time the Thalmor rule Alinor. No matter what race you choose you start the game out as just another slave brought into Alinor to do the manual labor (I do not see the Thalmor doing such menial tasks themselves). This allows us to uphold the Bethesda tradition of beginning every TES game as a prisoner of some sort.

However, your status as a slave is only a cover. You are, in actuality, a Blade sent by the Elder Council to help destabilize the Aldmeri Dominion through any means necessary. To do this you end up in alliance with a resurgent splinter group of Altmer calling themselves The Beautiful. From there the main quest would involve political intrigue, espionage, and assassination all for the purpose of bringing the Dominion to its knees. At some point you become the most hunted man/woman in Alinor with guards and other officials ordered to kill you on sight. There would also be a love interest involved for those into that kind of thing.

Factions involved:

- The Mages Guild, of course. They are in an eons long battle against their rivals in the Psijic order. Only one of the two would be joinable in any one playthrough... and there would be a prerequisite of magical skill necessary for membership. Sorry warriors and thieves, mages only need apply.

- The Fighter’s Guild would be there for mercenaries looking to make some extra coin. Skill with weapons is encouraged though not necessarily required. For those belonging to one of the Dominion’s pilot races (Altmer, Bosmer, or Khajiit) there would be a small assortment of knightly orders joinable, each with their own story and conflict. For membership in one of these weapon skill is a prerequisite.

- The Alinor Thieves Guild would be in the most direct conflict with the Thalmor Hierarchy. One could choose to ply one’s nefarious trade (prerequisite skill required) or, if Altmer, one could choose to join the enemy (if only to destroy them from within).

- The Alinor Dark Brotherhood is at war with itself. Following Greywyn’s teachings a splinter group of vampires within the order have founded a new chapter of the Crimson Scars. Only one faction can claim Alinor as territory. Will you be the one to tilt the balance of power? Note: one must first have the necessary skills to be approached by the DB, then one must be a member of the DB before contracting porphyric hemophilia in order to join the Scars.

Add to this the usual side quests and random dungeons in the wild and I'm good to go.

--------------------
+Quote Post
gpstr
post Apr 2 2015, 01:15 AM
Post #33

Agent

There's one and only one thing that I really want to see Beth do with TES - I want to see them revive the spin-off "Elder Scrolls Adventures" series and put Todd in charge of that, then put somebody who actually understands and appreciates roleplaying in charge of the main TES games. (Or, conversely, just complete the transition of the main series games to linear action/adventure and create a new roleplaying spin-off series - either way)

If they don't do that, then there's no point in even speculating about anything else.

This post has been edited by gpstr: Apr 2 2015, 01:20 AM
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Apr 3 2015, 07:33 PM
Post #34

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(gpstr @ Apr 1 2015, 05:15 PM) *

There's one and only one thing that I really want to see Beth do with TES - I want to see them revive the spin-off "Elder Scrolls Adventures" series and put Todd in charge of that, then put somebody who actually understands and appreciates roleplaying in charge of the main TES games. (Or, conversely, just complete the transition of the main series games to linear action/adventure and create a new roleplaying spin-off series - either way)

If they don't do that, then there's no point in even speculating about anything else.

Good point.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Apr 3 2015, 08:55 PM
Post #35

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(gpstr @ Apr 1 2015, 08:15 PM) *

I'm assuming, from the way you phrased that, that your preference is for the roleplaying alternative. If you take that to its logical conclusion you should have no questlines at all, perhaps just an objective, such as overthrow of the Thalmor as in Destri's proposal, but without a pre-defined path to get there.

So how could a game do that? Maybe it tracks your successes in the various guild scenarios (mage/Psijic, Thieves, Fighters, Assassins, whatever) by their affect on the stability of the central authority. You could take over forts for the rebel causes, assassinate incumbent officials, steal stuff, take over sources of magical power, or whatever it takes to weaken them. If you want to play a Jack-of-all-trades, they wouldn't all have to be part of a single questline, but you'd have to do joining quests and you'd only get quests suited to your skills, so progress could be slower.

To avoid the potential chaos of the game having to account for the consequences of all your possible actions, you'd reconcile the situation at various levels by having other unseen actors perform the other tasks for the current step. E.g. If your character steals the Staff of Excessive Magical Power, then the High Wizard is assassinated by someone else, and Fort Wurble falls to the rebel armies under another's leadership.

Side quests get you followers, equipment, spells, whatever you need to advance your skills, much as they do now.

That kind of game, though, won't appeal to those who want to become leader/arch-mage/king of everything. But there are probably a lot of folks who just want to be acknowledged as a Hero of the overall campaign, much as happened at the end of the Oblivion MQ. It also has the problem of coming to an overall end, when your side wins, which is why they've always had the separate questlines to give you more to do after the MQ. I'm not sure what fills that gap.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
gpstr
post Apr 3 2015, 09:29 PM
Post #36

Agent

Here are two significant facts about Todd Howard:

When he first applied to Beth (which he did on a whim, because he used to go past their office on the way to university - he didn't even play video games at the time, much less have a particular desire to develop them), they turned him down. He didn't give up. He kept coming back until they finally relented and hired him.

When he was first put in charge of a game, he put out Redguard - a wholly linear action/adventure game with a fixed main character, and a game that was such a bomb that it almost bankrupted the company.

Now remember - Todd doesn't give up.

RPGs are a niche market. There just aren't enough fans of complex RPGs to establish and maintain the sort of franchise Beth unsurprisingly wants TES to be. So the real hell of it is that Todd was right, all those years ago - he was just trying to sell an action/adventure game to a fanbase that was then exclusively serious RPG players. So what he had to do - what the company had to do - and what they HAVE DONE - is to slowly transition away from that fanbase. That's exactly why each and every game since Daggerfall has contained less roleplaying complexity than the previous game(s). They float this nonsense about how each game is its own thing, but that's obviously not the explanation, if for no other reason than that no company invests millions of dollars into a whim. The games are what they are because that's what they've been designed to be, from the very first development meeting. And the trend has been consistent with every single game - every one, with no exceptions, has less roleplaying complexity and more simple linear storylines than the previous one(s). That's not just a random happenstance - it's a deliberate design decision on which millions of dollars rests. And from a pure profit standpoint, it's obviously the correct decision. Even the people who see what's happened to the series and hate what's happened to the series are more likely than not to buy the new game anyway, so Beth gets their money anyway, so their opinions count for exactly nothing. And for every one who decides that s/he's had it and isn't going to even bother, there are dozens of new fans who are eager for the chance to pump 20-some hours into a cool looking game with some neat features that they don't really understand but that's okay because it's set up so that they can't lose anyway and then they get to post their list of achievements on their Facebook.

It doesn't matter what RPG fans might want - RPG fans are to Bethesda as decaf-drinkers are to Starbucks. Sure it pays to at least make an attempt to satisfy them, but only as much as is necessary to not drive them away entirely. The bulk of their efforts have to be spent satisfying their MUCH larger "20-some hours of cool looking game with achievements I can post on Facebook" fanbase, because THAT'S where the money is.

The ONLY way that RPG fans are going to get another great game out of Beth is if they do a spin-off RPG series - a sort of specialty series, done knowing that it's not going to sell 20,000,000 copies. The next main series game, just like every single game since Daggerfall, will be LESS of an RPG than the previous games. That's absolutely guaranteed. Todd doesn't give up.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 3 2015, 10:27 PM
Post #37

Paladin
Group Icon

I play really for the 'sandbox' element. I would actually prefer there to be no significant questline to foul up the sandbox with obnoxious things that take significant effort to ignore (Oblivion Gates, Dragons, Civil Wars). I am a little tired of the mental gymnastics that TES requires to overlook those things they want so hard to drag you into. I don't mind small side quests though.

Buffy's at her happiest simply exploring on horseback and clearing random dungeons just for thrills.

I know there are quite a few of us here and on the BethSoft forums that prefer the open world stuff to the quest stuff. You'd think that the devs would listen to those of us who play their games for years (not hours) and scoff at the concept of 'beating the game' - or even ever 'finishing' it.

I'm only interested in medieval fantasy single player RPGs that allow me to play my mystic archer. I'm not delighted with what TES offers, but it currently seems to be perhaps the 'best' choice. I do long for a more open world and less quest driven game in that genre. I would readily abandon TES should a competitor provide that.

Now, that all said, I am grateful for BethSoft's decision to provide players access to their CS / CK so that the games can be modified to bring them a little more in line with the desired vision of each player.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Apr 4 2015, 01:34 AM
Post #38

Knower
Group Icon

Yeah, there has certainly been a step backwards with each game when it comes to character building. I could not believe just how plain and boring Skyrim was. There was really no point in choosing one race or gender over another. Fire resistance in Oblivion helps, and frost resistance in Skyrim, but otherwise that is about it.

If Todd is heading back towards a linear one character game design, it does make sense why we are losing so many choices.

I guess we are still lucky that they support mods and allow us to fix all those annoying things.

This post has been edited by Winter Wolf: Apr 4 2015, 01:36 AM

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
gpstr
post Apr 4 2015, 03:46 AM
Post #39

Agent

Skyrim has sold over 20 million copies.

It would've been impossible to sell that many copies of the game if it catered to roleplayers specifically. We just aren't that big a market. And it really is just that simple.

We're sort of the "first wives club" for Bethesda. We're the only reason that they managed to hang around long enough and get established enough to continue to make games. But we're not sufficient to serve their desires now - they got what they wanted out of us and now it's time to move on. They've continued to include some roleplaying elements and they undoubtedly will continue to do so, but I fully expect the roleplaying to continue to diminish, and really for good cause, from their point of view. It's an unnecessary and expensive complication. Every alternative that's included in a game is something that needs to be coded and tested and debugged and tested some more, and an ever-growing number of their fans don't want those complications anyway - to them, they're just sources of confusion and frustration.

Todd made that explicit in the run-up to Skyrim. He repeatedly made statements about things that were being removed (attributes, for instance) because they were unnecessary and confusing. Their stated goal was to make it so that it was impossible to make a "bad" character. That, to me, just demonstrates that either they don't understand roleplaying or they're catering to players who don't understand roleplaying or both. Probably both. Roleplayers know that there's no such thing as a "bad" character - NOT because there aren't characters who are more difficult to play than others, but because difficult characters add spice - they aren't "bad" - they're just a challenge. But to other gamers, if they aren't effortlessly uber, they're "bad." And those are the players to whom Beth is catering. And again, much though it galls me, they're right to do so. You can't argue against 20 million sales.

The only hope we have for a TES game with more rather than less roleplaying elements is a spin-off series. That's the only way that they could tailor a game to roleplayers AND continue to pay their bills. We can't keep them afloat by ourselves.

I'm not terribly hopeful though. It'd be nice, to be sure, but bluntly - very bluntly, just to make the point - I really don't think they give a [censored]. They've made it pretty clear over the years - even going so far as to include a recurring character in the games just to express it overtly - that they have absolutely no respect for what we might desire. We're just demanding idiots, and all we deserve from them is M'aiq's scorn and ridicule. And again - 20 million sales. Viewed from that perspective, they're right.

Sorry to be such a downer, but this is something I've given a lot of thought to, and it's unsurprisingly pretty much impossible to really address the subject on the Beth forums.

And now that all of that's out of my system, I'm going to go spend some time with Ughoth the Orc mage. He just came back from Fisherman's Rock with Mazoga and is parked outside the Leyawiin castle gates.

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 4 2015, 05:05 AM
Post #40

Ancient
Group Icon

I agree with everything you said gpstr. I even recall Todd saying that they wanted to make Skyrim less "spreadsheety". Statistics like attributes and skills confuse people who don't want to put any effort into a game. I expect that the next TES game will not even have Magicka or Stamina. Instead all spells and special attacks will have cool-down periods between how often you can use them, like Mass Effect and other console games. Health might stick around to determine how many times the player can be hit before dying. But they might find a way to simplify that as well.

OTOH, there is hope for the gaming industry. The recent successes of games like Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity give me a really good feeling. Wasteland 2 was an excellent RPG done in the old school style. It was like playing Fallout 1 and Terror From The Deep all over again. I have not tried Pillars yet, but everyone says that it too is a throwback to the good old days of Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, and it gets insanely good rankings on sites like Metacritic. It is on my "to buy" list of games, once it is has been out a while and there has been time for wikis to be made, and patches to be done.

Thanks to Kickstarter, the developers of both games were able to create them without the interference of a big corporate publisher like EA or Bethesda. That allowed them to make the games they wanted, rather than the what the money was forcing them to - which is to say a game like Skyrim. When you turn loose people like Chris Avellone and Michael Stackpole that way, good things are going to happen. I think that this is the future of gaming, along with indie developers like Cd Projeckt and Talewords, and DRM-free distributors like Gog.com.

People are starting to realize that you don't need a huge amount of money to make a good game. Because a good game is not about hiring Patrick Stewart or Kevin Spacey to do the voice acting, or having photo-realistic graphics. You just need vision and talent, and you will do well, even in what I agree is a niche market like us RPG'ers. Pillars raised over a million dollars in the first day of their Kickstarter campaign. They made the game with only 4 million dollars, and it certainly looks like its sales will be enough to fund Obsidian's next project.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Apr 4 2015, 05:20 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:39 PM