Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Elder Scrolls Community competition
0rimus
post Apr 29 2008, 01:55 AM
Post #41

Evoker

I only got 49 pages, all in size 12 font Times New Roman. Considering I started this story on April 15th and finished on the 27th of the same year. Ya, that's pretty good. There'd be more, but my writing before the contest was dedicated to 500+ page hand-writen (and its only a brief outline) fantasy novel(s). All the while I was writing my Halo fanfic, multiple short stories, drawing, etc. etc. Ontop of my normal life and school and stuff of course. I still think I should've expanded it before sending it in... but I'd always think that, no matter how near-perfect it got. I think the total amount of hours I put in is maybe six or seven, so for that amount of time its a good story. But like I said earlier; we'll find out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Apr 29 2008, 02:02 AM
Post #42

Master
Group Icon

Indeed. I wish you the best of luck.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
paragenic
post Apr 29 2008, 08:47 AM
Post #43

Retainer

salute.gif

This post has been edited by paragenic: May 27 2008, 08:17 PM
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Apr 29 2008, 08:58 PM
Post #44

Master
Group Icon

well 00 and 24 both are exactly the same, so I don't see the problem. I think the due date is basically 23:59:99 April 29. Midnight is the first second of April 30. Now you just gotta figure out which time zone they're working with, which I believe is one of the European time zones.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
minque
post Apr 29 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #45

Wise Woman
Group Icon

I'll just wish you all good luck! I'm not participating, I did plan to but......nevermind, things doesn't always come out as planned!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Chiglet
post Apr 30 2008, 06:34 AM
Post #46

Evoker

Sounds like quite a few stories are being entered in this smile.gif 200+ pages? 49 pages? Yikes! ohmy.gif You people have got the writer's bug and good for you! goodjob.gif I always enjoy well written stories. As for the due date, I figure if the entry is there by 11:59:59pm GMT, that should be good enough smile.gif Looking forward to seeing what other people have entered, even if they've entered it before or posted it on a forum somewhere.

--------------------
To the Void we all shall go...
+Quote Post
0rimus
post Apr 30 2008, 06:43 AM
Post #47

Evoker

I've never posted anything anywhere before this. I hope my writing style is a breath of fresh air. From what little I've read it seems unique, not that I'm saying all your guys' are the same, just that mine is you know, my own. I kinda compare my style to Eoin Colfer's Atemis Fowl books; medium-long description, talk, action, repeat. I like it, I also delve into my lead charaters thoughts more than Eoin. wink.gif
+Quote Post
paragenic
post Apr 30 2008, 10:46 AM
Post #48

Retainer

salute.gif

+Quote Post
Chiglet
post Apr 30 2008, 11:36 AM
Post #49

Evoker

QUOTE(paragenic @ Apr 30 2008, 02:46 AM) *

QUOTE(The Metal Mallet @ Apr 29 2008, 09:58 PM) *

well 00 and 24 both are exactly the same, so I don't see the problem. I think the due date is basically 23:59:99 April 29. Midnight is the first second of April 30. Now you just gotta figure out which time zone they're working with, which I believe is one of the European time zones.

Hi, Metal Mallet!

Thanks for your reply, and for proving my point. biggrin.gif It IS confusing. Would be better if this were explained more clearly should there ever be a repeat of this. For myself it's a good lesson. I will never again give my suppliers a deadline of midnight the next time I send out an RFP... cool.gif

It's a good bet they're talking about Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) for this. It'd technically be the first time xone of all to reach midnight, and the one that's normally used. If you open the little clock that;s on most computers and take a lok in the time xones area you should be able to figure out what time you would need to have something in by. (yeah, real technical of me, i know)

--------------------
+Quote Post
paragenic
post Apr 30 2008, 12:11 PM
Post #50

Retainer

salute.gif ...

+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Apr 30 2008, 02:57 PM
Post #51

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

QUOTE(paragenic @ Apr 30 2008, 12:11 PM) *

Be careful!!! on http://chorrol.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4019 they specify GMT+1. GMT +1 is CET, this is ONE HOUR AHEAD of UK time and several hours ahead of the Americas. If you live in the area with most of the English speaking folk of planet Earth you may have less time than you thought.
Always remember, it is harder to meet a deadline in Tokyo than it is to meet one in San Francisco...

Well, Alex runs this site and he's from Holland, so it's not really surprising he'd use Central European Time is it? wink.gif

As for the confusion about the deadline, it means on the 30th April at Midnight (ie just before it becomes the 1st May) submissions will no longer be accepted. About 8 hours left basically smile.gif
+Quote Post
Jordy
post May 2 2008, 12:33 AM
Post #52

Retainer

This is all very exciting. It's nice to see such a good number of entries...I enjoyed reading then all, although I wasn't able to open Spydre's "The Witchhunter's Tale" for some reason...anyone else have this problem?

Are we allowed to know which judges are judging which categories?
+Quote Post
paragenic
post May 2 2008, 05:38 AM
Post #53

Retainer

salute.gif

+Quote Post
paragenic
post May 2 2008, 06:00 AM
Post #54

Retainer

salute.gif

This post has been edited by paragenic: May 27 2008, 08:18 PM
+Quote Post
Chiglet
post May 2 2008, 10:06 AM
Post #55

Evoker

QUOTE(paragenic @ May 1 2008, 09:38 PM) *

I get a 404 Not Found when opening http://competition.chorrol.com/stories/entry16.txt!!!

sad.gif

I must say it was a relief when Alex posted the stories. By 1800 hours I was mobilizing my armies to invade the Netherlands! tongue.gif

What is the title of the story that isn't opening for you? I haven't had any probs yet with any of them other than the larger ones taking just a bit longer to open. But that's to be expected. smile.gif Got to glance through a few of them yesterday and it;s interesting to see the variety just in writing styles. Definitely have got some talents in there.

--------------------
+Quote Post
raggidman
post May 2 2008, 10:35 AM
Post #56

Evoker

QUOTE(paragenic @ May 2 2008, 05:38 AM) *

I get a 404 Not Found when opening http://competition.chorrol.com/stories/entry16.txt!!!

sad.gif

I must say it was a relief when Alex posted the stories. By 1800 hours I was mobilizing my armies to invade the Netherlands! tongue.gif

That's quite worrying as I have discovered a street near Marylebone High Street in the City of Westminster called Ashlands Place - it appears that the ashlands are spreading ohmy.gif

Jack cloudy Apr 28 2008, 08:58 AM Post #39

Sent it in yesterday evening. (Well, it was like half an hour past midnight, so I should say this morning.)

Medium length and for as far as I can see, most typos are out. Except there is a small continuity flaw at the end, which I noticed five minutes after sending. Oops.

This one worried about that stuff too, but on reading more of the work in the Fiction Forum one has begun to feel that polish and readability are not necessarily the same thing where novels are concerned. This is different with poetry where the tiniest inflection in any part of a poem can change the entire sense and flavour of the work.

This one is no longer so happy with the name Fan Fiction Forum either as this one believes that much of the work therein is worthy of publication in its own right.

This post has been edited by raggidman: May 2 2008, 10:45 AM
+Quote Post
0rimus
post May 3 2008, 06:49 AM
Post #57

Evoker

I agree with raggidman, I caught at least two misspells going through my story again. What's worse is that there was still a placeholder (Fred Groh' Cash) mixed in with the proper Fred gro-Malogs. *sigh* Oh well, my OCD will never be sated. I'd like to read my competition (and the other catagories I didn't compete in as well), but my stupid Mac won't open them cuz I doughnut have Mircosoft word. Carp. I'll just have to do it after I get back from Vegas on my sis's computer or something. Por que!!!!!!!!!!
+Quote Post
raggidman
post May 3 2008, 11:15 AM
Post #58

Evoker

blink.gif was suggestin' that even with errors a tale can be enjoyable = the important thing is the content and the way it is written. So long as it is just odd spellin' and stuff.

So check the flavour first! smile.gif
+Quote Post
Alexander
post May 3 2008, 06:23 PM
Post #59

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(paragenic @ May 2 2008, 06:38 AM) *

sad.gif

QUOTE(Chiglet @ May 2 2008, 11:06 AM) *

QUOTE(paragenic @ May 1 2008, 09:38 PM) *

sad.gif

What is the title of the story that isn't opening for you? I haven't had any probs yet with any of them other than the larger ones taking just a bit longer to open. But that's to be expected. smile.gif Got to glance through a few of them yesterday and it;s interesting to see the variety just in writing styles. Definitely have got some talents in there.

Yeah sorry about that dead link guys, I fixed it. Wrong link got carried over.

As to invading the netherlands, I hope you bring your flippers and swimshorts, when we let the dikes down you're in for some wet and wild times wink.gif

Just a general comment about the competition and judging and such, I'm almost done reading through all the entries of the category I'm judging, and must say I'm very impressed with the work entered! It took me the better part of two days to get through everything, but it was well worth it!

I'm just sorry we can only give prizes to the one who finishes first in their category, because if it were up to me nearly everyone would receive a prize.
Excellent work!

--------------------
All that is needed for evil to triumph, is that good men stand idle.
+Quote Post
0rimus
post May 25 2008, 04:56 AM
Post #60

Evoker

It's been awhile, how are things going?
+Quote Post

12 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:05 PM