Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rashelle At Lokken, WWOLM fanfic
blockhead
post Mar 28 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #1

Finder
Group Icon

Around the end of February and the beginning of March I posted a short fan fiction on a small intimate forum and there were some positive responses. This story is being posted here on the chorrol forums as I am eager to see the responses from the larger fanfic-oriented crowd here. This seems to be where the "pros" of the Morrowind fanfic world congregate, smile.gif

This will be posted this in sections, serialized as it was originally. It would be easy to just post the entire thing all at once but I thought it would be more fun not to. biggrin.gif

This story is based on the main quest of Emma's "White Wolf Of Lokken Mountain" plugin. It contains spoilers.

Rashelle At Lokken
by Blockhead

1. Arrival, Tension

Snow. The ground covered with it. The trees white with it. The late afternoon sun reflecting off of it. The landscape was that of a magical wonderland. My adventures in Solstheim had not reduced my wonder at this phenomena. I had never seen snow where I grew up and there was certainly none in Vvardenfell.

Although I was the Nerevarine and an experienced adventurer, I arrived at Lokken gawking and gaping like a tourist at the Imperial City.

The Lokken leaflet had been in my pack for some time and I had finally decided to see what it was all about. I had no great desire to hunt animals merely for sport (as advertised) but I have always liked to explore new places.

My adamantium boots crunched on the snow as I stepped out from the boat.

"You had better talk to Ragnar Fire Hair before you do anything else, lass. Without his permission, you are not allowed to be here", admonished the boatman again.

Yeah, whatever.

I paused to look around some more. Ahead lay the village, the road ahead rising up towards the mountain. Up further, to the left, could be seen the castle, covered with snow and looking amazing, like a fairy land castle in some painting.

As I slowly walked up the road I tried to stop and chat with some people but they all seemed preoccupied ... no ... afraid. At first I thought it was me, all decked out in my ebony cuirass, dark brotherhood greaves, adamantium boots, and the sword Chrysamere on my back. That and my bare arms making me look more a barbarian than a spell-sword could perhaps be intimidating. I suppose also my coal-black eyes and coal-black hair (an odd color for a Breton) marking me as Not A Nord did not put anyone at ease.

Several people had white hair. It was not the usual blond that Nords tend to, nor a light gray. It was a bright white, like snow. I had only seen such a pure white on the fur of snow bears and other animals. Something in the water perhaps?

A woman who did not have white hair (it was brown) was little friendlier. When I approached her she said "Hello there. Your face doesn't look familiar to me. I'm Silja. Welcome to Lokken. Don't expect to find much here, though. This is a poor village. Since we are not allowed to hunt in the forests anymore, it's hard for us to get by. I assume you have been invited by our chieftain, Ragnar Fire Hair, and that you have his permission to hunt? If not, you had better stay away from the Lokken wildlife."

I thanked her and walked up the road a little further before a guard named Gudmund also told me that it was very important that I see Ragnar Fire Hair first.

"I will, but first could you direct me to a trader or general store? I may need some warmer clothing."

That generated a smile and some directions the Lokken Clothier. I actually did not need the clothing. Despite my origin in warmer climes, I have an unusual tolerance, actually an affinity, for cold weather. What I was wearing now was comfortable and the only concession to cold I had was a sleeping fur in my pack. Still I had broken the ice a little bit. That was progress. It also gave me an excuse to try to talk to at least one more person before heading for the castle.

I walked into the clothing shop. I briefly talked with the woman there, Anna. She was also nervous like the people outside but gave away some more information. The people here were in fear, but from one of their own, not from me. Apparently this Ragnar Fire Hair, their new chieftain, was not liked and was a not a nice person. He had some men loyal to him and a shaman. They were also feared.

Thanking her I left and continued to the castle, stopping only once more, at the brewery. I had been in many a bar and tavern but never in a brewery and I was curious. There were big metal vats and kettles. It was rather complicated looking and awe inspiring in the manner of certain Dwemer ruins. By that I mean I had no idea how it worked.

Some chitchat there with Borka, and his wife Gwenn, yielded more information: the people who actually lived in Lokken were not allowed to drink the mead, or at least not much of it. It was reserved for Ragnar Fire Hair and for his guests. What little they were allowed was at three times the price that guests paid. I was beginning to dislike this Ragnar and I had not even met him yet.

Thus forewarned, I approached and entered the castle.

I entered an anteroom of sorts. A guard was there. He said nothing but pointed to the door on the opposite side of the room. I nodded and went to the door.

I entered the throne room. There were animal pelts on the floor and tapestries on the walls to warm up the cold stone room and to provide an ambiance conducive to the hunting enthusiast. There was a bar on the left.

A bar in a throne room: that's not something I've seen before. Convenient I suppose if one were more concerned with entertaining than the usual duties of ruling. There were four guards; one on either side of the door I had just entered and two closer to the throne at the far end of the room.

The throne was on a raised section of the floor and on it sat a large mean-looking Nord with red hair who could only be Ragnar Fire Hair.

To his right stood a man in dark robes who had to be his shaman.

My boot steps were the only sound as I approached the throne. I presented the leaflet to Ragnar.

He tossed the leaflet aside and spoke: "Who the oblivion are you? You have no business being here uninvited and I'm sure I didn't invite you."

He paused and studied me. I stared back at him. I'm sure my eyes now had the hardness of obsidian as well as the color. I adjusted the angle of the sheath on my back.

He looked tough. And huge. A great bull of a man, and Nords are already kind of big. I wouldn't want to fight him, at least not alone.

"Well, you look like you can handle yourself in the wild. There is one way that perhaps you can be allowed in the forests."

I raised an eyebrow.

"I want you to hunt and kill a certain wolf. This is no ordinary wolf. It's larger than the regular snow wolves, though it is white like they are. It has unnatural blue eyes. My men and I have pursued it on numerous occasions and it has always gotten away."

"That's not something you see every day," I quipped. Oh Rashelle, you must stop this business of talking without thinking!

"Exactly. it is obviously not natural, not of the All-Maker. It is a daedra-spawn, an abomination, a menace that must be killed for the safety of my people," he said, not picking up on my sarcasm.

I nodded, not trusting myself to not again say something wrong, and to also buy myself a second or two of time to think of an appropriate response.

This man mentioning the All Maker rubbed me the wrong way: after my adventures amongst the Skaal I had some respect for their beliefs. I somehow knew that Ragnar had no right to call on their All Maker.

"So, oh chieftain of Lokken, so long as I Quest for this White Wolf, I am permitted in the forests of your island?"

"Aye, with my blessing. Bring me his head there will be a reward."

"I shall begin at once. First I will question the guards and villagers as to sightings."

"Excellent" he said, waving me away, obviously tired of talking to me now that I had agreed to his business.

I definitely did not like this man.

As I turned away I got a better look at his shaman and I liked him even less. My magical sensitivity picked up on an evil from him that I had previously only sensed from Sixth House minions. I tried not to display my feelings: a shaman is very sensitive and notices many things. Around him it would be best to appear to be a simple non-magical warrior and not a spellsword.

I strode away from the the throne. Before I took more than a few paces I could see that the woman at the bar was trying to get my attention with her eyes.

I sauntered over to the bar. Might not be a bad idea to get a mazte anyway. I cannot not stand mead. I love snow, but the Nords can keep their mead.

"I'm Kielreen"

"Rashelle. Got any mazte?"

"Yup".

"Please".

She poured me a mazte and started to speak very quietly. Not a whisper. That would have attracted attention, but she obviously wanted only me to hear.

"he's asked you about the big white wolf, wants you to kill it, right?"

I paid and took a sip before replying.

"Yes."

"Don't. There is something strange about the creature."

I took another sip.

"Things are not as they seem in Lokken."

That much was already obvious.

"Talk to my aunt Gwenn at the brewery."

I had just been there. Maybe mentioning Kielreen would get Gwenn to say more than she had the first time. I nodded ever so slightly. Picking up my drink, I walked to one of the one of Ragnars guards.

He at first did not want to speak but I can be charming when I want to be. I asked him about the white wolf and any sightings of it. This did not yield any new information but would go back to Ragnar and would keep him complacent about my activities. I had already decided that I was not going to kill this mysterious white wolf.

After talking to the the other guards I finished my mazte, left the mug on the bar and exited the castle. It had begun to snow. I caught some flakes in the palm of my hand and watched them melt.

This post has been edited by blockhead: Mar 30 2007, 11:41 PM

--------------------
I left
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
blockhead   Rashelle At Lokken   Mar 28 2007, 11:17 PM
jack cloudy   Not a bad start, that's for sure. You've a...   Mar 29 2007, 10:10 AM
minque   Yay!! At last! I´ve been waiting for t...   Mar 29 2007, 03:54 PM
Zelda_Zealot   Pretty good, though I didn't read all of it (I...   Mar 29 2007, 05:05 PM
blockhead   Just one thing, sometimes your discriptions will ...   Mar 29 2007, 11:27 PM
Zelda_Zealot   Why would climate make white hair odd? I was th...   Mar 30 2007, 03:57 PM
blockhead   2. The sun was about to set so it seemed to me th...   Mar 29 2007, 11:37 PM
The Metal Mallet   This is a pretty good starting so far. An interes...   Mar 30 2007, 12:55 AM
blockhead   This is a pretty good starting so far. An intere...   Mar 30 2007, 03:27 AM
blockhead   Based on the critiques so far, I have made changes...   Mar 30 2007, 11:59 PM
minque   Ahh, good as ever Blockie! I especially liked ...   Mar 31 2007, 01:50 PM
The Metal Mallet   Things are moving along rather nicely in this upda...   Mar 31 2007, 04:24 PM
blockhead   4. Test Laurenna explained the situation to me as...   Mar 31 2007, 10:31 PM
jack cloudy   I like the humour and self-critiscizing in your wo...   Apr 1 2007, 08:53 PM
blockhead   5. Ghost, Wolf I Recalled to my Mark outside of L...   Apr 1 2007, 10:18 PM
The Metal Mallet   You're setting up quite a frantic pace here bl...   Apr 2 2007, 12:08 AM
blockhead   You're setting up quite a frantic pace here b...   Apr 3 2007, 12:29 AM
Zelda_Zealot   Sheesh! I stay one weekend at my moms, and you...   Apr 2 2007, 10:01 PM
blockhead   Sheesh! I stay one weekend at my moms, and yo...   Apr 3 2007, 12:15 AM
The Metal Mallet   Here, I'll give you an example: Basically, ...   Apr 3 2007, 12:41 AM
blockhead   6. Wulfren I put on a Chameleon effect ring. It w...   Apr 3 2007, 12:42 AM
The Metal Mallet   Hehehehe, my speculations about the wolf were basi...   Apr 3 2007, 04:08 AM
blockhead   Hehehehe, my speculations about the wolf were bas...   Apr 3 2007, 04:33 AM
blockhead   Up until now there have been two errors with point...   Apr 3 2007, 11:00 PM
Zelda_Zealot   :( Not the end of a chapter I was hoping for...   Apr 3 2007, 11:26 PM
blockhead   8. Hammer I don't know how long I stayed ther...   Apr 4 2007, 11:59 PM
The Metal Mallet   That was a very efficient process of dealing with ...   Apr 5 2007, 01:49 AM
jack cloudy   The pace you're setting is amazing. I can...   Apr 5 2007, 07:29 PM
blockhead   9. Preparing, Waiting Once again making much nois...   Apr 5 2007, 11:33 PM
The Metal Mallet   Events are set in motion, the plan is drawn up. I...   Apr 6 2007, 05:01 AM
Zelda_Zealot   Good read, sorry for the lack of any constructive ...   Apr 6 2007, 02:56 PM
blockhead   10. Action One sunny morning I stopped at the Bre...   Apr 6 2007, 11:38 PM
jack cloudy   Aye, cliffhanger! I wished I had an invisible...   Apr 7 2007, 09:41 AM
The Metal Mallet   Oh boy, oh boy! What's going to happen ne...   Apr 7 2007, 03:45 PM
minque   This is what you get from being absent a day or tw...   Apr 7 2007, 04:38 PM
blockhead   11. Reaction, Justice I snapped awake. Sigrid was...   Apr 8 2007, 01:39 AM
The Metal Mallet   Wow, so that's basically it eh? Looks like Ra...   Apr 8 2007, 02:29 AM
blockhead   12. Conclusion The next day we were all in the th...   Apr 8 2007, 10:49 PM
The Metal Mallet   Wow, your conclusion wraps everything up very nice...   Apr 8 2007, 11:51 PM
jack cloudy   Ah, Mallet. You're making me blush. :lol: Ahe...   Apr 9 2007, 10:03 AM
minque   Thank you Blockie for your nice words! It plea...   Apr 9 2007, 02:46 PM
Zelda_Zealot   Ohhhh. It's over... :( I guess it is time to r...   Apr 10 2007, 11:58 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 05:11 AM