3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The secret of Thaldorn Manor
Lopov
post May 13 2020, 10:59 PM
Post #1

Master
Group Icon

What I first intended to post as separate snippets / texts in the Where are you? thread, alongside with screenshots in the Screenshots thread, I now decided to post as a full story instead. Mostly, because it will be easier for me to post stories and screenshots at the same time. At first I didn't intend to make a story out of it, but lately I've been getting some ideas, so I decided to flesh them out.

It'll be sort of a horror story and will revolve around Rieltar Brunos Thaldorn, the mage and the former necromancer, who returns to his home - Thaldorn Manor.

I don't know how long will the story be, but definitely as long as I'll feel inspired to write and as long as I'll have time - I'm estimating anything between one to three months. I'll post one or two stories per week, in the beginning just one. For now I'll just copy the first entry alongside with screenies and with the comments, and with some added extras at the end.

---

I

Not many Cyrodiilians want to talk about the Thaldorn Manor. Five years ago it became publicly known, that in the noble house east of Pell's Gate, horrific deeds have been going on for years. Myraan Thaldorn, the high-ranking battlemage in the Legion, and his wife Deurexia, the respected teacher at the Arcane University, have been keeping a group of young maidens imprisoned in the manor basement. By sheer luck, one of them one night escaped and on her way to Pell's Gate, ran into a group of patrolling legionnaires. Before Thaldorns even found out that one of their captives was no longer chained, the patrol already stormed the manor and rescued two more maidens. As soon as they realized that their scheme has been exposed, Myraan and Deurexia committed suicide. The house was locked by the Legion and since that day nobody has stepped inside.

Myraan and Deurexia had one son - Rieltar Brunos - who was at that time a student at the College of Winterhold. News of his parents' death reached him a few weeks later, along with the key to the manor, he was after all the only heir.

*five years later*

Conjurers that have been occupying Sardavar Leed, the Ayleid ruin close to the manor, saw tonight for the first time light inside it. But not the light of candles, but of someone casting spells, they assumed.

The only heir returned home.

---

"You cannot walk on water or move mountains without faith. Or at least without a proper spell. I bought my water-walking spell from Trayvond in Cheydinhal. The bridge was probably intentionally collapsed after...deeds of my parents were revealed."

"South of the Imperial City, between Pell's Gate and Fort Alessia, lies the Thaldorn manor, in old records mentioned also as Thaldorne manor. It's where I spent my youth. I like the surname of my ancestors - Thaldorne - better. "

"Welcome home, Rieltar. Please, make yourself at...home. Your father is upstairs, polishing his armor. Go and greet him, right son? Except that there's no one to greet."

"This door is forbidden to open, Rieltar. It must remain locked at all times. Beasts lurk below. Ugly, abominable beasts! Beasts from all planes of Oblivion. They'll burn you alive and your mother won't be able to help you!"

"Pieces of the past, secrets of my parents."

---

Extras:

The abandoned manor in my hometown, that served as an inspiration for the Thaldorn Manor. The manor as such is the work from another author, but I edited a lot of stuff to my own liking, both outside and inside.

The name of the protagonist is a nod to Baldur's Gate I, specifically to the leaders of the Iron Throne organization. Their names were Rieltar Anchev, Brunos Costak and Thaldorn.

---

First comments from the other thread, so the authors don't need to repeat themselves. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Acadian @ May 11 2020, 12:22 AM) *

A new adventure begins in 3rd Era Cyrodiil it seems?

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 11 2020, 01:44 AM) *

The scowling necromage has returned!

QUOTE(Renee @ May 12 2020, 09:29 PM) *

indifferent.gif Oh noes!!! panic.gif Well now we know how he got that spooky manor. Picutres!

QUOTE(Renee @ May 13 2020, 02:10 PM) *

Goodness, what were his parents up to? Those poor maidens.

I love his shorts! biggrin.gif That's a first for me.

QUOTE(Acadian @ May 13 2020, 06:30 PM) *

Thaldorn Manor looks extremely appropriate - overgrown, cobwebs, mysterious doors, chains. . . .

Now, that mysterious door he is never supposed to open. I'm sure he never will. Nope. Not a chance. . . .

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 13 2020, 07:01 PM) *

Thaldorn Manor looks like the kind of place the Scooby Gang would visit. I wonder if there are any ghosts! They would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that meddling Rieltar...

When do we go through that door! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Lopov: May 13 2020, 11:00 PM

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 13 2020, 11:05 PM
Post #2

Paladin
Group Icon

I'm so pleased you're graduating Rieltar into a full thread devoted to his dark tale! This thread would be a welcome addition to the fan fiction section of the forum. Let me know if you'd like it moved there. smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post May 14 2020, 05:14 PM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

I concur with the man from New Las Vegas. I always get to that point with some more detailed stories. "Should this get its own thread, or will the Today thread suffice? Should this actually be in the Fan Fiction section?" For me, I feel like I'm not ever going to be ready for FF. nono.gif

It's also good that you put pictures & stories in the same thread. This makes it MUCH easier when you're going back in time, years after you've written. It sucks having to find all the pictures which go with the story, if they're in separate threads.

--------------------
+Quote Post
macole
post May 14 2020, 07:47 PM
Post #4

Mouth
Group Icon

Hoarding maidens in the basement can mean only one thing; unicorn poaching.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Lopov
post May 17 2020, 09:15 AM
Post #5

Master
Group Icon

@Acadian - thanks, for now I'll let the thread here, if I change my mind in the future, I'll let you know. smile.gif

A new adventure begins indeed! Since I need to take into account that my time for gaming and writing varies, from a lot to almost zero, I'm estimating around ten chapters for this adventures. It's better that I don't plan too many things ahead and for a too long time, besides having a short story in mind lets me keep more focused.

@SubRosa - I may have written it in a confusing way, the last pic, with the shackles, is from the basement. In the one pic above that Rieltar is casting an Unlock spell on the door.

@Renee - Rieltar's parents were up to no good. As for his pants, they're a very rare item, he found his at Cadlew Chapel.

@macole - you might be on to something here. wink.gif

---

II

“I am weak, mother.

I tried…but I failed…I didn’t know what to do once we were close to the manor…how to overpower her.

I wanted to make you both proud but I failed. I am weak, mother.

I went to the camp, the Crestbridge camp, I was a priest to them, Brother Brunos, I helped them deal with goblins, then I hired Her – Mirisa – I hired her and told her that I need her help with bandits that overtook my, our house. But as we were walking to the manor, I felt fear. Fear! I didn’t know how to gain control. I let her go. She found me mad, but I don’t care. I can’t do it…”

“Hush, my son.”

“I can’t…what?”

“Mommy’s here, Rieltar Brunos. Everything will be alright, mmm?”

“Mother….is that…is that you?”

“It is I, sweet son. Come now…embrace your mother.”
*two days later*

When young Branwen woke up, the Sun was already high in the sky. How odd, she thought, why didn’t Saliith wake me up?

She turned around in her bedroll, but the bedroll next to her was empty.

“Saliith?” Branwen stood up. Where was her sparring buddy? He was nowhere to be seen. An Imperial legionnaire was loudly marching down the main pathway leading around the Arena, while another one was firmly standing by the door to the Arboretum. Except them, there was no one else to be seen.

“Saliith?” No answer. Most odd. It’s never happened before that her beast buddy wasn’t around. He was the one that got up before her, usually by the dawn, and would always wake her up. But not this morning.

This morning Saliith was gone.

And he was never coming back.

---

Brother Brunos in the Crestbridge Camp

Goblin Cave

Letting her go

"I am weak! Weak, weak, weak!"

"Embrace your mother."

Beneath the Arboretum

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post May 17 2020, 05:08 PM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

Uh oh. ohmy.gif Maybe that ain't his mother. indifferent.gif Whoa. Yikes Lopov. I am intrigued. What the heck did you write over the past week? hehe.gif

Those pictures ... wow. They're all disturbing. Even the Crestbridge Camp one. What is happening in Letting Her Go? Or is that not been revealed yet?

This post has been edited by Renee: May 17 2020, 05:37 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 17 2020, 06:15 PM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

Uh oh, Rieltar is taking over from Jason Vorhees. Now I can hear that theme music in my head when he stalks his next victim...

Great final pic of the Argonian taking a tumble!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 17 2020, 06:49 PM
Post #8

Paladin
Group Icon

Lots of mystery here. Disturbing exchange with Rieltar’s mother. Then neat to ‘show’ us the missing Argonian form Branwen’s perspective. If I have the right of it (which I may not), it seems Rieltar’s objective may be to refill his home’s basement with maidens for necromantic purposes. But he is perhaps struggling with a. . . a. . . conscience?

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lopov
post May 24 2020, 09:00 AM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

@Renee - in Letting her go Rieltar is "letting Mirisa go", he probably lacked power or willpower to overpower her.

@SubRosa - I use a mod that adds torches to NPCs in dark places and Saliith was firmly holding his one even while falling.

@Acadian - "If I have the right of it (which I may not), it seems Rieltar’s objective may be to refill his home’s basement with maidens for necromantic purposes" - you might be on to something here. wink.gif

I'm glad you all liked the mystery, so today is the time for the next chapter, which I assume will bring even more mysteries but also an explanation behind certain events.

---

III

“Drunk? Saliith is drunk? Are you sure?” Branwen could barely believe words of the Imperial stranger, who introduced himself as Terliar, the sewer cleaner.

“Yes, I saw him earlier today while exterminating rats close to the southeast tunnel entrance. He could barely walk. He kept repeating one name – Branwen. When I asked the guards, they told me that there’s only one Branwen in town – you.”

“Unbelievable. Something serious must have happened for him to get drunk. I’ve never seen him even trying a drop of alcohol.”

“I felt obliged to tell you…” humbly said Terliar,” but now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll take my leave…”

“Wait! I’d get lost in the sewers. Can you lead me to Saliith?” plead Branwen.

“I’m afraid I’ve got work to do, young one. But you won’t have difficulties finding him…down the stairs, turn right in the winding hallway, rotate the wooden handle in the room, in case the second door on the left is closed, walk through…”

“Please, please, please,…” Branwen interrupted him. „I’m already lost by now. Can you please lead me to Saliith? I must help him. I’ll pay you.”

“Hmm…” Terliar shook his head, as if pondering whether to help her or not. In truth, he already knew the answer.

“I’ll lead you but you’ll need to pay me because I've got work to do...elsewhere.”

“Thanks.” If necessary, Branwen was prepared to give him the valuable bands of Kwang Lao. Terliar reminded her of someone, but couldn’t remember of who. Not that it mattered in this moment.

“Saliith! My friend, what have you done?” Branwen rushed to her friend, lying on the cold floor among the crates in the sewers beneath the Arboretum. As she touched his head, it felt to the side with the tongue falling out.

“By the Nine!” she shrieked and jumped back. “He’s dead!"

Having said that, red aura encircled Branwen and she felt like someone was slowly sucking her entire energy out of her. She fell to her knees, feeling completely powerless.

“What…is...going...on?” Red aura became denser. She tried to stand up but couldn't.

She felt chills. Cold chills.

“No, this can’t be happening! No! No! No! Help me! Help me!”

She knew this spell.

She knew it all too well.

Branwen passed out.

Behind her, Rieltar Brunos Thaldorn put off the shabby clothes which he took from some crate in the Market District, and put his fine clothes on – a quilted doublet, rugged pants and blue suede shoes.

“We’re coming, mother”, he whispered. "You will be proud. This time I did it right."

The pain woke her up.

The pain around her neck.

She could barely swallow.

She could barely breathe.

She wanted to yell, but couldn’t, the pain was too strong. There was a collar tightened around her neck. Her arms and legs were in chains, she couldn’t move an inch.

Branwen couldn’t believe that it is happening again.

The frightful basement didn’t change much from before the five years. The only difference was that the Daedric altar, that served some unknown vile purpose, was destroyed. Apart from it everything was as it had been. The minotaurus' head on the wall left from the stairs, the upper class dresser right of the stairs, some tossed crates here and there. Cobwebs in corners and barely lit candles.

And chains.

Damned chains.

Five years ago she was working as a cleaning lady at the Arcane University. One night, when returning home, she felt the spell of utter powerlessness. Red aura encircled her and she lost consciousness. As she woke up, she was chained in this basement. She spent in this very basement three months. The three most horrible months of her life.

As she found out, the spell of powerlessness was cast upon her by Deurexia Thaldorn, the trainer of Mysticism at the Arcane University. Apparently the only reason for her capture, had been because she was a virgin at that time. She had no clue how Deurexia knew this, but her magical powers seemed immense. It was never revealed what her intentions with Branwen and others were, but it was obvious that Deurexia was attempting to perform something vile, and it involved the now destroyed Daedric altar and virgins. Marie, another captured virgin, claimed that Deurexia was trying to summon some powerful lord from the depths of Oblivion.

Sounds of the creaking door above the stairs shifted Branwen's thoughts back to the present day.

He came down the stairs, carrying the jug in one hand.

The man who led her to Saliith.

The man who reminded her of his mother, if she had only realized this in the Imperial City. Like her, he knew, how to cast the spell of utter powerlessness.

Without a word, he slightly released the neck collar and tilted the jug to pour the water out. Branwen shook her head forcefully, knocking the jug out of his hand, so it fell to the floor and shattered to pieces. She expected to get a slap like Deurexia would do if they disobeyed, but the man did nothing…. he actually looked as if not knowing what to do. After a few seconds he leaned down and began to pick up pieces.

“Why are you doing this?” she asked. With her collar slightly released, Branwen could at least talk.

“Don’t…do this again!” He tried to sound strict but his voice was weak, she noticed.

“You…you’re Rieltar, right?”

The man stepped back and stared at her.

“Yes, you are.” Despite the graveness of the situation, Branwen managed to smile.

“She’d often mention you. Why are you doing this? What have I done to you? Why…”

“Shut up!” Rieltar put both hands to his ears. “Just shut up! I don't want to hear this! I'm not hearing! I'm not hearing! I'm not hearing! I'll be quiet, mother. I won't talk back, mother!”

Before she could say more, he tightened the neck collar back but not as strong as it had been before.

“Behave, Branwen. I….I have nothing against you. I really don't. But I can’t disappoint my mother. I disappointed her many times but this time…this time I will do something right. Behave or she’ll come down and punish you herself. You don’t want to be punished by her, believe me. I know how it is...being punished.”

Branwen’s eyes almost fell out. Not because of the collar, but because of what Rieltar said.

Deurexia will come down? But she was dead. Ves said that she had drank a deadly poison in front of his eyes, just like her husband, as soon as their deeds had been revealed.

“Just behave! And you...might live.”

Rieltar picked more pieces of the broken jug, then went up the stairs, his head bowed down, as if ashamed.

The door creaked as he had closed them.

It can’t be…thought Branwen. This must be a nightmare and I’ll wake up soon enough, I know I will. But she knew this isn't going to happen.

There was, however, another difference from before the five years. Back then she was the third captive but now she was the first. Jolie and Marie were chained before her. But she was the one who escaped, and that’s why Rieltar got her first, she assumed.

But how did he know about them? Ves told Branwen that Deurexia's only son was in Skyrim at the time of their captivity. How could he know of them? Did his mother send him letters of her deeds? Did she write a diary? Now this sounds possible...

Creaking sound again. Door is opening. Creaking again. Closing.

Branwen waits, her eyes turned to the stairs but nobody is coming down.

Deurexia couldn’t be alive. Ves assured her that she’s dead.

Rattling noise from behind the ruined altar.

Branwen can’t move her head but she moves her eyes in that direction. It is very dark there, darker than in other part of the basement. No candle light in that corner. And there's fog. How odd. There hasn't been any fog before. But now the fog seems to be emanating from the floor. As the fog becomes denser, Branwen sees someone standing in the fog. The mysterious figure makes one step forward. She’s still very far away but Branwen feels…

…chills.

And more chills.

Cold sweat.

It can’t be.

It can’t be.

Her slim figure.

Her long elegant robe.

Her shining blue amulet.

Branwen closes her eyes. It must be a dream… an illusion! Yes, it must be an illusion.

She opens her eyes.

Darkness swarms the room.

The fog is now even closer.

And so is she....Deurexia! With her hands raised she's stepping towards her...

Branwen passes out.

---

"Here she is. Branwen. She looks just like described. I'll need to lure the Argonian away...or use him as a bait."

Stalker

"The bait is ready."

"The spell of utter powerlessness, as taught by my mother, when I was still a child."

In chains

The figure in darkness

Deurexia!

This post has been edited by Lopov: May 24 2020, 09:05 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 24 2020, 07:52 PM
Post #10

Ancient
Group Icon

Well that was deeply disturbing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 24 2020, 09:02 PM
Post #11

Paladin
Group Icon

Wow, this is turning out to be quite the tale of horror. You did a great job with Branwen of describing her fear and revealing her history with Thaldorn Manor. It will be interesting to see what becomes of Rieltar's reluctance to fully embrace his role in these evil plans.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
macole
post May 25 2020, 04:51 AM
Post #12

Mouth
Group Icon

Oh, that was tense. I had to turn the lights on. panic.gif

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Renee
post May 26 2020, 01:18 PM
Post #13

Councilor
Group Icon

Good lord, scoundrel! indifferent.gif This is creepy. It's supposed to be, I get that, but wow.

I feel bad for her. I hope she somehow makes it through this. The one thing about Rieltar though is that he was right about his self-assessment. He IS weak. He is dangerous, but he is also insane. I think Branwen might know this already, and take advantage of this somehow.

At least I hope so. indifferent.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post May 31 2020, 11:37 AM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

@SubRosa - the sun always shines after the storm, or in this case, a disturbance.

@Acadian - thanks! I figured that it'd be more interesting to include actual NPCs in the game, instead of just modded ones, and also to include the same people that've already been captured in the Thaldorn manor.

@macole - turn them back off. Maybe the mother will come then...

@Renee - Rieltar insane? hehe.gif What if he's doing it all for the benefit of Cyrodiil? Maybe Branwen is Lord Dagon? wink.gif

Today's story was at first longer, about twice as much as it is now, but then I decided it to split it into two parts, so instead of posting the next part on Sunday, I'm going to post it on Wednesday on Thursday.

---

IV

***10 days before Branwen's capture***

*clank clank clank clank clank*

His head ached and a constant sound of metallic footsteps in the hallway certainly wasn't alleviating the pain.

Careful not to make it worse, he slowly opened his eyes, staring directly in the jail door. With his head slightly raised from the dirty pillow, he checked his surroundings. Some prisoner was sleeping in the other bed.
Cheydinhal. Cheydinhal jail, to be precise. Vesuvius Lex sat upright in the bed, his head throbbing like it would burst anytime.

"Damned hangover."

Vesuvius vaguely remembered what had led to his imprisonment. He stopped at Roxey's to have a beer. As usually, one beer wasn't enough and so one beer led to another and so on and so forth...

"You shouldn't drink so much, Ves" his beautiful former girlfriend told him a few years ago. "You're a good man, but when you're drunk, you're worse than a savage troll."

This girlfriend was right of course, and when he was sober, Vesuvius realized where his problem lies. But once he started drinking, his problems seemed to vanish. That is, until he woke up in some cell. Not appropriate for someone as young, and even less appropriate for a former legionnaire. Lex was only 29 years old and he was already dishonorably discharged from the Legion.

He remembered that some patron in Roxey's called him "a drunkie". This patron was no one else but rogue Claude Maric, the arrogant and shady adventurer from the Imperial City. Thinking back, Vesuvius didn't really regret punching Claude Maric, because he had deserved it. Nonetheless, a whole ruckus ensued in the small roadside inn after Claude got hit in his nose. Some traveler summoned a bound Daedric mask, maybe he was afraid that Vesuvius would hit him in the nose too. Another traveler summoned a scamp, but it was all in vain, because the legionnaire that had been before the event calmly drinking at the bar, stepped in front and arrested Vesuvius.

At least he spared him the usual "rot in prison" and "criminal scum", maybe out of respect because Vesuvius used to be a guard captain or because out of respect to his older brother Hieronymus.

“Awake at last, har har, har.” Vesuvius turned left and saw an old long-haired Nord on the other bed, laughing at him with only a few teeth in place.

“So why you here, Imp?” continued the Nord. “I’m here for horse theft, har har har. I like ‘em black so I went for black. Got caught. I’m Khetto, and you, Imp? What’s your name?”

“Just shut up.” Vesuvius wasn’t in a mood for Khetto’s jokes.

“Sure, sure, as you wish, Imp. Just tell me what you here for and I give you peace.”

“I got drunk and hit someone, alright? Satisfied?”

“Har har har, that’s good, that’s good. I’m here for horse theft, you know. But just between you and me, Imp…”Khetto leaned forward and whispered…”I’m here for horse theft but they don’t actually know that I’m a wine smuggler. I smuggled liters and liters and liters of wine. From Tamika’s to Surilie’s! Har har har! Stupid soldiers! Har har har har! There once lived a battlemage…”

“Just shut up!” Vesuvius laid down, his head ached even more after being forced to hear annoying Khetto’s laughter.

After sobering up, Vesuvius was released from the prison. The jail keeper returned him his rusty iron armor, the family sabre, a few healing potions, a magical hourglass and around four hundred septims. Most importantly, he was at the stables reunited with Odysseus, his faithful black horse, purchased right here in Cheydinhal. For the past two years he and Odysseus have been inseparable. If he recalled correctly, the guard that had arrested him, put Vesuvius on Odysseus’ back, before leading him to the jail.

"Good to see you, old beast." He patted his horse and swiftly jumped on his back. After every imprisonment Vesuvius told himself that now it would be high time to change his behavior, to get back on the right track, ...but he didn't really believe himself anymore. Nonetheless, it was time to get back in shape, and he decided to explore some of Cheydinhal’s outskirts. It's been a while since he was in that area, and he was sure, that there were some lairs in need of cleaning.

As he was calmly riding Odyseeus past the Lodge of the Knights of the Thorn, Vesuvius thought of his days in the Legion and his dishonorable discharge. Truth be told, he was never popular among Legion commanders. He had too many critiques regarding the purpose of the Legion, like that soldiers shouldn't be stationed only in cities and on a few marked roads, but at other, more remote places as well. Every damned fort around Lake Rumare was besieged by bandits, goblins, undead or necromancers. If it weren't for brave adventurers, those forts would remain occupied by enemies, because the Legion wasn't doing anything to liberate them.

The sewer system beneath the capital of Cyrodiil was so dangerous that workers avoided going down. Creatures, goblins, mysterious red-robed cultists, even vampires and some maniacal lizardman lurked down there. Was the Legion doing anything to ease the situation? Not at all.

Vesuvius was also the outspoken opponent of "By the Nine Divines, if you need to travel, stay on the roads..." statement, because it felt, like they were intentionally trying to get residents of Cyrodiil killed by saying this. The roads could be far more dangerous than wilderness. Bandits, wild beast, trolls, even will'o'wisps were "patrolling" the roads more frequently than legionnaires.

He didn't have problems just because of being critical, he also had troubles because of his unusual haircut.
"You really should consider visiting a hairdresser," his older brother Hieronymus often told him. "Or at least wear a full-faced helmet at all times."

"It's not my problem, if you're all so damn conservative. My haircut is ahead of time, Hieronymus. In the future, when you and I will long be gone, Men and Mer will proudly carry this particular haircut." However, neither critiques nor the haircut, were the reason for his dishonorable discharge, but they both contributed to it for sure.

An old witch has lived by the shores of Lake Rumare, Leiunomei is her name, however one pronounces it. People say that she came to Cyrodiil through the Mysterious Door that appeared out of nowhere in the Niben Bay. She moved into an abandoned shack directly across Vilverin. The entire Legion knew that this witch has been performing forbidden experiments in her shack and from time to time her "creations" like flesh atronachs escaped, wandering off to the Imperial City. Hostile, aggressive creatures, flesh atronachs would cause troubles and though most of the time legionnaires or brave adventurers defeated them, it wasn't always like that. One day one of Leiunomei's atronachs killed Barnacle Bertha, the popular Waterfront beggar.

"Pfft, what's one dead beggar to you?" was his older brother's reaction. "She worked for the Thieves Guild, no doubt."

After getting sloshed on the day of Barnacle Bertha's death, Vesuvius just couldn't agree with his brother's perspective. So that's when he decided to take justice in his own hands. He rode to the witch's shack and knocked the door off its hinges. He came just in time to see her summoning another flesh atronach!

Not completely sober, Vesuvius lunged at Leiunomei but underestimated the witch's agility, not to mention that his insobriety contributed to his slower reflexes. The witch cast a stunning spell at him, and left him to deal with her flesh atronach, while she escaped to the Imperial City, screaming for help like mad. Leiunomei's yells got attention of the soldiers and they hurried back to her shack, where they found raving Vesuvius in battle with Leiunomei’s abomination. Because he didn't calm down even after the atronach was disposed of, legionnaires were forced to arrest their own member.

"Unbelievable," said Hieronymus as they brought Vesuvius in shackles in front of him. "You're a disgrace to your own family! You're a disgrace to the entire Legion! And to your own race of course!"

Taking justice in their own hands was strictly prohibited in the Legion, and Vesuvius was dishonorably discharged. Nothing happened to the witch of course, except a reminder that she should be more careful with her creations. The life of the beggar wasn't important enough for the Legion to take any precautions against her, it seemed to Vesuvius. As far as he knows, Leiunomei still lives in her shack across Vilverin, but she's more careful with her experiments now.

What followed the discharge, was a life full of adventuring and unfortunately, also full of alcohol. Even his girlfriend Branwen, the same one who told him that he should drink less, couldn't bear with him anymore and thus left him.

Branwen.

Vesuvius wondered what was going on with her. Did she already fulfill her wish and make it to the Arena? He sincerely hoped that she hadn’t, because the Arena wasn’t a place for her.

Loud roar interrupted his pleasant thoughts, as he and Odysseus were nearing the Ayleid run known as Kemen. The wild brown bear came from behind the large rock, eyeing the potential prey.

Vesuvius quickly dismounted Odysseus and readied his sword and shield. “Time to get back in shape.”

---

"Who are you calling drunkie?"

"Time to break your nose!"

Panic at Roxey's

"Har har Imp!"

Release

Odysseus

Fresh air up there

Power of the shield

Younger brother Lex

Kemen

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post May 31 2020, 03:06 PM
Post #15

Councilor
Group Icon

Yes, I was wondering if Vesuvius is related to Hieronymus Lex. viking.gif

"My haircut is ahead of its time!"

Ah, I see how this is coming together now. So hopefully Vesuvius somehow picks up the trail to Thaldorn Manor, where his former lady is being kept. sad.gif I feel bad for Barnacle Bertha, but maybe she was not killed by Leiunomei. Hence, that was Vesuvius taking things into his own hands.

As I read today's chapter, those two sova began hooting to each other. But it sounds like they're pretty far away this time. I could barely hear them. indifferent.gif Thing is, I never have noticed them hooting so early in the day before. So it added just a little bit of spook into this spooky story.

This post has been edited by Renee: May 31 2020, 03:18 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 31 2020, 06:55 PM
Post #16

Paladin
Group Icon

Khetto seems just the thing for a hangover - not!

Nicely done. I hope Ves can get beyond drink for he actually seems like a good sort - better than his brother.

I hope Renee's right and that Ves somehow stumbles onto a clue that leads him to Branwen.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 1 2020, 06:48 PM
Post #17

Ancient
Group Icon

Looks like Vesuvius got all the passion in his family, while his brother Lex got all the order and discipline.

Khetto sounds like a friend of the Wheet Bandit!

Loved the reference to Renee's maniacal lizardman living in the sewers of the Imperial City!

His haircut is better than his brother's.

Barnacle Bertha is a great name!

Branwen, so that is how Ves fits into things. Hopefully he can find her before it is too late!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 2 2020, 01:09 PM
Post #18

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm just able to view the pictures. Wow, his haircut is ahead of its time! He looks like a member of A Flock of Seagulls.

Were you able to get alcohol to work? Now I know why you were curious about Basic Primary Needs.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jun 3 2020, 05:37 PM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

It's time for the next chapter, as I already said, it'll be posted today instead of on Sunday, because it's mostly a recollection of past events through the eyes of Vesuvius Lex.

---

V

***9 days before Branwen’s capture***

After adventuring in the vicinity of Cheydinhal for a day, it was time for Vesuvius to return back to the town to buy some supplies, particularly healing potions. The battle with a lich deep below Kemen almost completely depleted his supply of healing potions, and it was of utmost importance to buy new ones, before departing on a new adventure.

Borba gra-Uzgash didn’t have any healing potions for sale anymore, so Vesuvius headed to the nearby Mages Guildhall. He stepped in just in time, when some Imperial with a staff on his back was asking one of the mages if they’re having the Water walking spell for sale. Being in a good mood, Vesuvius couldn’t help but say:

“How about you learn to swim instead? Just joking, kinsman.”

The stranger with the staff glanced at him, and a forced smile played on his narrow, downward turned lips.

“What a scowl”, thought Vesuvius as he headed down the small stairs to the right of the entrance, to buy an ample supply of healing potions. Fortunately, Eilonwy the local alchemist, had plenty of them in stock.

***8 days before Branwen’s capture***

After clearing Nagastani of minotaurs that took the ruin over, tired Vesuvius Lex was now sitting on his faithful Odysseus by the shores of Lake Rumare, close to where All Things Alchemical used to be, before it burnt down.
He had plenty of valuable stuff for sale and was thinking of going to the Imperial City to sell it all. But in truth he didn’t like returning to his hometown. He knew most of its residents and he also knew that they don’t value him highly, especially because his older brother has been successful, while Vesuvius has been more or less a loser. In their eyes at least. Secondly, because almost every legionnaire would recognize him. Thirdly, because he didn’t want to run into his brother. Not that they cut off all contacts but both of them were better off without seeing each other too often. There was only reason for returning to the Imperial City, but Vesuvius doubted that this “reason” would be too happy to see him.

Branwen.

The meeting with her was the peak of his life. One rainy night five years ago, Vesuvius and two legionnaires, namely Ancus Tavaniq and Sulis Parva, were patrolling the road between Fort Virtue and Fort Alessia. Neither of them expected this night to be any different than from previous ones, but how very wrong they were. On the umpteenth ride between the forts they suddenly saw some woman running towards them. She cried for help before falling to the ground, and legionnaires hurried to help her, offering her “their ears” as it was in their custom to say.

The girl's name was Branwen, and in a few sentences she told them the most horrible story any of the young legionnaires ever heard. Together with two more women she was supposedly held captive in the Thaldorn Manor. The name Thaldorn was widely-known in Cyrodiil. Myraan Thaldorn was a battlemage in the Legion but Vesuvius barely knew him, because he spent most of his time serving in other provinces and returned to Cyrodiil only after his retirement a few years ago. His wife Deurexia, on the other hand, was a well-known teacher at the Arcane University and quite a popular figure in the town – some called her Lady Blue, because she was always wearing the shining blue amulet around her neck.

Ancus proposed to inform authorities in the Imperial City but Vesuvius decided that it'd be better to get to the manor as soon as possible, before Thaldorns find out, that one of their captives escaped. It was decided that Ancus should return with Branwen back to the Imperial City, while Vesuvius and Sula would check out the manor.
It was an impressive building, constructed in style of Chorrol manors, and though never before it looked ominous to Vesuvius, it seemed like a vile nest on this particular night.

The main door was unlocked, because Branwen managed to snatch the house key, and soon after gaining entrance, her words were confirmed. They found two girls chained in the basement next to the strange looking altar, inscribed with Daedric runes. After rescuing them, Sula stayed with captives while Vesuvius hurried upstairs.

"We've been exposed", yelled the man on the upper floor and as Vesuvius looked upwards, he saw the scared face of Myraan Thaldorn.

"Quick, Deurexia! The little flasks!"

Just when Vesuvius reached the top floor, he witnessed Deurexia, her blue amulet around her neck as always, and Myraan both drinking from small green flasks. As soon as the liquid touched their tongues, both of them crumbled to the floor. Vesuvius witnessed one of the worst convulsions he had ever seen, foam mixed with blood was coming out of their mouths as their bodies trembled like being hit by some shock spell over and over. The gruesome death lasted for about a minute, then Thaldorns finally stopped trembling.

"May you rot in Oblivion, for what you'd done!" Vesuvius wanted to spit on their corpses, then spat on the floor instead.

He escorted both captives, Jolie and Marie, out of the manor and back to the Imperial City, while Sula stayed at the manor. By the time Vesuvius returned to the capital, Ancus already arrived there with Branwen, and the Legion commanders were informed of the events that took place on this night. They immediately sent two soldiers with horses back to the manor, to bring corpses of both Thaldorns back for examination.
Vesuvius and his legionnaires were promoted to guard captains for their heroic deed, but the biggest reward for Vesuvius turned out to be Branwen. Shortly afterwards they started seeing each other, and quickly fell in love. Since she couldn’t live with him in the barracks, they rented one of the houses in the Elven Gardens District and moved in. If Branwen could at first overlook Vesuvius’ occasional drinking troubles, the scene with Leiunomei, the subsequent arrest and dishonorable discharge were too much for her to handle. She tried to bring him on the right way, even after he was no longer in the Legion but after one too many bar brawls she gave up and left him one morning. Thinking back, Vesuvius realized that Branwen was the best thing that happened to him in his life. A real shame that his problems with alcohol ruined, what was once such a great relationship.

***7 days before Branwen’s capture***

Vesuvius couldn’t help but stare at the Thaldorn manor after passing it the next day. The building surely fell to disarray after he saw it for the last time. The bridge leading to it finally collapsed and the moss found its new home on the façade.

It’s good that the bridge collapsed, he thought. Unless one’s a dedicated climber, the only way to get there now is to swim…or walk on water.

By one of the windows of the manor Rieltar Brunos Thaldorn was standing, staring at Vesuvius from the inside. He remembered him from the Cheydinhal Mages Guildhall, making fun of him because of the spell, that he was interested in.

Why are you staring at my family house? Rieltar asked himself. After a while Vesuvius turned Odysseus around and slowly rode in the direction of Pell’s Gate. Rieltar sighed with relief. For a moment he was afraid that the stranger will come knocking on the main door. He hoped to never see the blonde fighter again.

His hope, alas, was not fulfilled.

---

At the same time at the same place

Lizardmen - Renee's mod

They went for the horse

No match for Vesuvius

Late night swimming

Minotaurs of Nagastani

Odysseus in the air

Thaldorn Manor

Unpleasant memories

On the other side

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 3 2020, 07:27 PM
Post #20

Paladin
Group Icon

“How about you learn to swim instead? Just joking, kinsman.”

The stranger with the staff glanced at him, and a forced smile played on his narrow, downward turned lips.
This is some superb writing. The joke is both clever and ties in to the end of this episode as Ves describes the bridge to Thaldorn manor. Your description of the stranger’s facial expression was easy to imagine and well-crafted.

You’re doing a wonderful job of revealing the history here of how all the players and pieces fit together.

A nice collection of screenshots at the end. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:11 PM