Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Trey in Mournhold, Chapter 8
treydog
post Oct 15 2006, 03:40 PM
Post #81

Master
Group Icon

It was a measure of my desperation that I would even consider going to Helseth for help. I had come to Mournhold seeking blood and vengeance, and I had found them in full measure. I had damaged the Dark Brotherhood so severely that it would take them years to recover. Of course, even I was not so naïve as to believe that I had finished them- evil has a way of showing up around power and wealth, rather like a noxious weed in a fertile patch of soil. But I still hoped to exact my vengeance on their employer, the man whose help I must now seek, King Hlaalu Helseth. My actions had fueled the madness and plotting of the goddess Almalexia- as a direct result, at least seven people were dead. I could no longer pretend that my need for revenge was the most important thing- I somehow had to save the people of Mournhold from their deity. As I look at those words, they seem pompous, especially coming from a stable boy turned thief, turned adventurer. Who did I think I was, to even contemplate such a thing? The answer was simple- I was the only one who could or would do anything. When nobles speak of “the people,” they rarely have any real idea of what that means. To them, the term means a great, undifferentiated mass of faces that look up at them in admiration- or down at the ground in fear. But each face hides a cipher, an unknown, someone whose hopes and dreams are meaningless to the aristocracy. For me, it was different. When I thought of the people of Mournhold, I envisioned Sunel Hlas and Marena Gilnith and their new-found love; I saw Ra’Tesh, endlessly polishing the bar at the Winged Guar. In other words, I saw individuals, not a crowd of people who were somehow less important than me. And I had forgotten those individuals when I entangled myself in Almalexia’s schemes. That much I could see clearly, that it was my responsibility to repair the damage. But how I was to achieve the task was a great mystery. As far as I was aware, there were no books that detailed the approved method for killing a god- or even for curing one of insanity, for that matter. Regardless, I must do one or the other. In my obsession with vengeance, I had given Almalexia the Mazed Band, had brought the ash storm to the city, had fanned the flames of the goddess’ feverish imaginings to terrible heights. Vengeance must wait on justice. I could not do otherwise.

Lest anyone think that I was driven purely by noble purpose, let me quickly state my other reason for seeking any assistance I could secure- I was frightened and revolted by Almalexia’s apparent plans for me. With Salas Valor safely dead, she was already casting about for a replacement- and she had fixed upon me. The words that I had thought, but dared not say, escaped in a muttered hiss as I left the Temple:

“Your last inconvenient lover is dead, and you think that I am anxious to take his place- with his blood still warm on my hands? You may not be god, but you are no longer human, either.”

As for the idea that she believed me to be the reincarnation of Nerevar- I considered the source. She was insane, manipulative, and power-hungry. She would do anything to maintain her place as a deity. A little thing like defying Temple doctrine regarding the Nerevarine would not bother her in the least. As for somehow “recognizing” me as her long-dead husband: nonsense. She had obviously heard about the machinations that had gotten me sent to Vvardenfell in the first place. With Fedris Hler running her spy network, I was not surprised that the “goddess” had discovered the Empire’s plans to set me up as the prophesied hero of the Ashlanders. But I would not go the way of Salas Valor- I had never believed in Almalexia’s divinity in the first place. So it was that I found myself turning to my despised enemy for help- turning to someone who had tried repeatedly to have me killed.

When I entered the Throne Room, Helseth seemed to be in a rare good humor, with a ghost of a smile stretching his normally closed countenance. I wondered briefly how he could be happy with an ash storm raging outside, but dismissed the thought as of no consequence in the current circumstances. When he acknowledged my presence, I gathered my wits and said,

“Sire, I have some rather serious information to report regarding Almalexia…”

Although it pained me to refer to him as “sire,” my background in the stable was useful. After all, “sire” was an equine term, as well as a form of address to a monarch- and I certainly considered Helseth to be a particular portion of a horse’s anatomy. And before I could even begin to explain, the king managed to live up to- or rather, down to- my expectations. Interrupting, he waved an airy hand and said,

“Oh yes, the goddess. I have plans for you regarding the goddess, but first you must prove yourself. You see, Trey, I require all those close to me to be powerful, able to defend me from any adversary. Perhaps you have met my personal bodyguard, Karrod? He is a perfect example: the finest fighter I have met in all my travels, and loyal to me to the death. I met him many years ago, a deaf and dumb child wandering the streets of Wayrest. The boy actually had the audacity to try and rob my stepsister, Elysana. I marveled at his courage, and took him into my employ. When a dog has been beaten, it will lick the hand of one who feeds it even the most meager of scraps. Now he is my most loyal of servants, and one of my most deadly. I wish for you to fight my champion.”

What was it with the leaders of Mournhold? First Almalexia and now Helseth- “Fight my champion to prove yourself.” I felt bad enough about the death of Salas Valor, even though I did not like him or his Temple. But Karrod had never done anything to me and I had no desire to fight him. It was perhaps a measure of the strain I was under that I actually spoke the words that first came to my mind:

“Why should I fight this man?”

Helseth’s brows drew together in a fierce scowl and he rasped,

“Because I am the king and I wish it.”

In a slightly milder tone, he added,

“I have come to know you a bit, Trey. I believe you can be of some use to me. But the plans I have will require someone of great strength or wit. Perhaps both. The time has come for you to prove this to me. You will return here tomorrow, and you will duel Karrod. If you are able to defeat him, we will discuss my plans for you.”

As far as I could see, this was just another way of trying to have me killed, albeit publicly, instead of through assassination. I had no chance of defeating Karrod in anything approaching a fair fight- and there would be no convenient roofs from which to snipe at him in the Throne Room. I would have to think of something else- soon. Every day that the ash storm raged was another day that Mournhold suffered for Almalexia’s pride- and my foolishness.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
treydog   Trey in Mournhold, Chapter 8   Oct 15 2006, 03:40 PM
canis216   Hoo-ray, another chapter! And brilliant at tha...   Oct 15 2006, 05:17 PM
Black Hand   Hail Trey!! The funny thing with Helseth...   Oct 15 2006, 09:06 PM
minque   Hilarious! I laughed out loud reading that p...   Oct 15 2006, 09:21 PM
jack cloudy   Oh, boy. This is getting very interesting. (Yes, i...   Oct 15 2006, 09:28 PM
The Metal Mallet   An excellent beginning to chapter 8, Trey. I hope...   Oct 15 2006, 09:34 PM
treydog   My lack of foresight had finally put me into a cor...   Oct 21 2006, 12:57 AM
canis216   An interesting entry today. I always enjoy getting...   Oct 21 2006, 02:51 AM
The Metal Mallet   Hehe, booze can be a useful weapon in this case fo...   Oct 21 2006, 04:06 AM
Kiln   Effective strategy using the liquor to help him ou...   Oct 21 2006, 04:34 AM
jack cloudy   Now Trey shouldn't forget to check his store o...   Oct 21 2006, 04:15 PM
Soulseeker3.0   Very nice idea with the drinking. I liked the line...   Oct 22 2006, 09:49 PM
Black Hand   I think I know of a way to beat Karrod, at least i...   Oct 22 2006, 10:00 PM
treydog   Doctoring Karrod’s drink was not something I was p...   Oct 23 2006, 12:24 AM
Black Hand   Drooool. I love the description of that sword, m...   Oct 23 2006, 12:31 AM
The Metal Mallet   I whole-heartenly agree about that description of ...   Oct 23 2006, 04:36 AM
jack cloudy   Hmm, I love good swords. I'm also jealous of h...   Oct 23 2006, 06:55 AM
mplantinga   I really enjoyed your "negotiations" wit...   Oct 23 2006, 08:38 PM
minque   Oh aye.....but not only the sword is wonderfully d...   Oct 25 2006, 07:24 PM
Kiln   Amazing negotiations with the orc displayed in thi...   Oct 27 2006, 05:26 AM
Wraithguard   HI I i just joined the forums yesterday mainly to ...   Oct 30 2006, 07:01 AM
treydog   HI I i just joined the forums yesterday mainly to...   Oct 30 2006, 09:52 PM
jack cloudy   Weapon eater, tiny fracture growing bigger when th...   Oct 30 2006, 07:44 AM
Soulseeker3.0   Very nice job Trey, I loved the negotiations with ...   Nov 3 2006, 12:20 AM
treydog   A short one today- just enough to whet your appeti...   Nov 4 2006, 09:51 PM
Soulseeker3.0   well.... good luck with Korrod. I liked the memory...   Nov 4 2006, 10:32 PM
minque   Ah..intelligent as usual. Trey prepares for the fi...   Nov 4 2006, 10:41 PM
canis216   A nice update. Trey's preparations remind me o...   Nov 5 2006, 12:05 AM
The Metal Mallet   Nice update Trey. This is a perfect example of th...   Nov 5 2006, 02:59 AM
Black Hand   Am I the only one who got the "Barney" J...   Nov 5 2006, 03:46 AM
canis216   Am I the only one who got the "Barney" ...   Nov 5 2006, 08:12 AM
Wraithguard   huzzah, another epic battle yay, please hurry trey...   Nov 6 2006, 05:44 AM
mplantinga   Trey certainly has changed during his time in Mour...   Nov 6 2006, 06:11 PM
Kiln   Kinda short one here but still quite well done. I...   Nov 9 2006, 07:47 PM
treydog   Still enveloped in that peculiar calm, I gathered ...   Nov 19 2006, 05:57 PM
Black Hand   Wow. I don't know what to say, except this: I...   Nov 19 2006, 06:22 PM
minque   yessss.......another great quote to my collection...   Nov 19 2006, 07:46 PM
canis216   Wow. Now that was something. A spectacular chapter...   Nov 19 2006, 07:46 PM
jack cloudy   Fantastic. That's all I have to say. Hmm, I ...   Nov 19 2006, 08:02 PM
The Metal Mallet   Amazing duel, Trey. I could tell the amount of ti...   Nov 19 2006, 11:16 PM
Wraithguard   ohhhhh the sword was traded.....i see.....I got an...   Nov 20 2006, 02:01 AM
mplantinga   Thanks for another wonderful installment. I partic...   Nov 21 2006, 02:17 AM
treydog   Even as Karrod and I were exchanging weapons, Hels...   Dec 3 2006, 04:56 PM
jack cloudy   It's getting a bit hot underneath Helseth...   Dec 3 2006, 05:20 PM
minque   O-o....facing Almalexia now he shall.....hmmm....p...   Dec 3 2006, 05:39 PM
canis216   Excellent update--it's well worth the wait. ...   Dec 3 2006, 05:48 PM
The Metal Mallet   Consistantly good work as always, Trey. Love the ...   Dec 3 2006, 10:08 PM
mplantinga   With this most recent update it becomes even clear...   Dec 5 2006, 12:39 AM
Black Hand   Wonderful. That pretty much sums it up Trey. But d...   Dec 5 2006, 01:14 AM
Soulseeker3.0   Very nice Trey, I loved Trey's thoughts about ...   Dec 6 2006, 03:24 AM
Wraithguard   interesting...trey has mentioned where to find a c...   Dec 7 2006, 04:24 AM
treydog   As I calmed myself from the after-effects of the d...   Dec 9 2006, 03:31 AM
Soulseeker3.0   Very nice conversation with the curator, it makes ...   Dec 9 2006, 03:44 AM
canis216   Uh oh... looks like Trey's going to have to re...   Dec 9 2006, 03:45 AM
minque   Ahh yes, at last Trey visited the Museum, one woul...   Dec 9 2006, 02:49 PM
The Metal Mallet   Hehe, I liked what you did with Mero's charact...   Dec 9 2006, 04:20 PM
treydog   I believed that the Dwemer shield contained the la...   Dec 10 2006, 05:26 PM
The Metal Mallet   Hehe, neat ending to this update Trey. Again I lo...   Dec 10 2006, 05:59 PM
Soulseeker3.0   I look forward to seeing what Trey does with the ...   Dec 10 2006, 07:06 PM
Wraithguard   noooooooooo dont give the dagger, keep the dagger,...   Dec 10 2006, 07:25 PM
minque   O_o....now what? Ehhh what´s he gonna do? kill h...   Dec 10 2006, 07:58 PM
Fuzzy Knight   Gonna try with the Dagger of Symmachus aye or mayb...   Dec 10 2006, 08:05 PM
jack cloudy   Oh, trading? That might work, seeing as how that d...   Dec 10 2006, 10:11 PM
Wraithguard   Oh, trading? That might work, seeing as how that ...   Dec 13 2006, 03:03 AM
mplantinga   I'm a little concerned about this spur-of-the-...   Dec 11 2006, 11:30 PM
Black Hand   Should I say that his impulse was to donate the Da...   Dec 12 2006, 01:08 AM
treydog   You guys are too smart for me.... Mrs. Treydog sa...   Dec 29 2006, 04:04 PM
The Metal Mallet   Excellent rendition of the donation of the dagger,...   Dec 29 2006, 05:50 PM
canis216   Trey will need to be more careful with explosives ...   Dec 29 2006, 06:40 PM
jack cloudy   Trey's action with the dagger didn't surpr...   Dec 29 2006, 08:36 PM
minque   Ahhhh another magnificent update! My quote fo...   Dec 29 2006, 09:34 PM
treydog   Yagak’s suggestion that I look for the answer in R...   Dec 31 2006, 05:21 PM
jack cloudy   Heh, that Dwemer was so funny! :lol: I also lo...   Dec 31 2006, 07:05 PM
canis216   The tar is magically everlasting... duh. :D I can...   Dec 31 2006, 07:10 PM
The Metal Mallet   Nice conclusion to chapter 8 Trey. It was a wonde...   Dec 31 2006, 11:21 PM
minque   A worthy ending of an amazing chapter....and what ...   Jan 3 2007, 03:51 AM
mplantinga   It is good to see that Trey's pack-rat habits ...   Jan 12 2007, 01:00 AM
McBadgere   Pah!!...Using the shifting of this thread ...   Sep 17 2013, 06:03 AM
treydog   Hmm. Well- and remember it has been a LOONG time s...   Sep 18 2013, 01:51 AM
McBadgere   Fair dues...Just got to the bit at the end of the ...   Sep 22 2013, 11:01 AM
McBadgere   OOooh!!...Ooooh!!...Almost at the ...   Jan 26 2016, 02:20 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 04:22 PM