> What are you playing?
monkeyemoness
post Dec 27 2017, 09:03 PM
Post #3001

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Dec 27 2017, 12:53 PM) *

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Dec 27 2017, 10:16 AM) *

Finally finished Dark Souls 3. The trouble I had with the Ashes of Arandiel DLC boss reminded me how bad I am at Souls games lol
I guess that's what I get for insisting on playing a Pyromancer for the third time as my starting character. I tried tying up loose ends after finishing but the game crashed (again, it does it often) so I'm probably setting it down for a while before I tackle NG+ or a new character.

Dunno what's next. Maybe Oblivion, finally?

Khajiit thinks you are supposed to be bad at those games. This is one reason this one will probably never play them; Khajiit doesn’t enjoy having his butt handed to him over and over again.

To be fair, my bad performance across the entire game was largely due to being complacent. I have an uncanny knack of picking classes in games that end up being the overpowered ones, and once you get the Great Chaos Fire Orb you can destroy a good chunk of what stands in your way, including a few bosses. If not, Black Fire Orb is a good substitute.

So once I got to that particular boss at first I didn't bother trying to learn her attack patterns or a way around her special attack that would one-shot me unless I was Embered. Because I had the death spell. (I wasted so many Embers for that fight...) And that was just the first phase. Once I actually made an effort to learn this and save my FP for the later phases (when it would get harder for a Pyromancer with only the bare minimum invested in physical stats to do serious damage with a weapon) I started doing much, much better. She still destroyed me by the third phase when the summoned NPC help died halfway through leaving me alone with her, but hey, I was making an effort.

I think this is why I don't really "get" why SoulsBorne is given such a bad rap as a super-hard franchise. Sure, there are some bits that can be annoying, but for the most part it IS possible to get through a large part of the game if you put some effort into it. (And I think 3 has a decent learning curve, unlike the previous installments)

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 27 2017, 11:09 PM
Post #3002

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Dec 27 2017, 02:03 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Dec 27 2017, 12:53 PM) *

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Dec 27 2017, 10:16 AM) *

Finally finished Dark Souls 3. The trouble I had with the Ashes of Arandiel DLC boss reminded me how bad I am at Souls games lol
I guess that's what I get for insisting on playing a Pyromancer for the third time as my starting character. I tried tying up loose ends after finishing but the game crashed (again, it does it often) so I'm probably setting it down for a while before I tackle NG+ or a new character.

Dunno what's next. Maybe Oblivion, finally?

Khajiit thinks you are supposed to be bad at those games. This is one reason this one will probably never play them; Khajiit doesn’t enjoy having his butt handed to him over and over again.

To be fair, my bad performance across the entire game was largely due to being complacent. I have an uncanny knack of picking classes in games that end up being the overpowered ones, and once you get the Great Chaos Fire Orb you can destroy a good chunk of what stands in your way, including a few bosses. If not, Black Fire Orb is a good substitute.

So once I got to that particular boss at first I didn't bother trying to learn her attack patterns or a way around her special attack that would one-shot me unless I was Embered. Because I had the death spell. (I wasted so many Embers for that fight...) And that was just the first phase. Once I actually made an effort to learn this and save my FP for the later phases (when it would get harder for a Pyromancer with only the bare minimum invested in physical stats to do serious damage with a weapon) I started doing much, much better. She still destroyed me by the third phase when the summoned NPC help died halfway through leaving me alone with her, but hey, I was making an effort.

I think this is why I don't really "get" why SoulsBorne is given such a bad rap as a super-hard franchise. Sure, there are some bits that can be annoying, but for the most part it IS possible to get through a large part of the game if you put some effort into it. (And I think 3 has a decent learning curve, unlike the previous installments)

Khajiit has been told that 3 is a good place to start if you are looking to get into the series. Which seems bizarre to this one.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Dec 28 2017, 12:28 AM
Post #3003

Mouth
Group Icon

It's probably because the mechanics are the most...refined? 'Course, you'll be missing the Mana bar and stance system in the earlier installments.

But anyways, as I was thinking of getting a NG+ started, I recoiled at the thought of having to face some of those bosses again but harder as a fully developed character, so I totally understand why someone would avoid the series solely because it requires you to die over and over and learn from your mistakes.

Anyways, I sort of want to jump into Oblivion again but I'm finding it hard to get into character (even though my old save is barely at level 6) and I really don't want to start over for some reason so...not really sure where to go from here.

This post has been edited by monkeyemoness: Dec 28 2017, 12:30 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Dec 29 2017, 02:05 AM
Post #3004

Mouth
Group Icon

Looks like Shadow Warrior (2013) is the last game I have finished this year. I had quite a bit fun with this game. There was a surprisingly good story to it. Some of the jokes fell flat, but some also made me legitimately laugh out loud. It was an enjoyable experience overall.

The current rotation is now Fallout 3 and Final Doom, and mostly Fallout 3 right now. Having a lot of fun with it so far.

However, since it is the end of the year, I think I will get some playtime in on some other games I haven't played in a while. I haven't played Oblivion since New Year's Day, as for some reason I decided to make that the first game I played this year, so I want to get a session of that in. Maybe even go back to Half-Life too. I guess I'll see when it comes down to it.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Dec 29 2017, 04:09 PM
Post #3005

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Dec 27 2017, 05:28 PM) *

But anyways, as I was thinking of getting a NG+ started, I recoiled at the thought of having to face some of those bosses again but harder as a fully developed character, so I totally understand why someone would avoid the series solely because it requires you to die over and over and learn from your mistakes.

Update: I made a new Knight, and I'm thinking of making a Sorcerer too because this game is the only one that triggers the happy sauce production in my brain right now.

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Dec 29 2017, 09:29 PM
Post #3006

Mouth
Group Icon

I decided to play a short stint of Oblivion. I think I have finally settled on retiring my character there, making my second-ever TES character a finished story now along with my Last Dragonborn. Similarly to Skyrim, I didn't come up with a super-detailed backstory and was not as concerned about role-playing when I created the character. I'll think of something at a later date, but that character is finished. So that just leaves my Nerevarine, Agent, Eternal Champion, and Vestige (the first three of which have done everything or just about everything I want them to do, but I haven't given them a proper retirement).

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 29 2017, 09:46 PM
Post #3007

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Dec 29 2017, 09:29 PM) *

I didn't come up with a super-detailed backstory and was not as concerned about role-playing when I created the character.

Neither did I when I began playing Oblivion, all that came later as my time with the game progressed. Lothran didn't even have his own name; I named him after me initially. His own name came to me a couple of years later and his backstory even later than that.

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Dec 30 2017, 03:34 AM
Post #3008

Master
Group Icon

I wasn't able to get RE7 but I did get doom vfr. I wasn't leaving GameStop with out a vr horror game 😋.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 30 2017, 04:54 PM
Post #3009

Ancient
Group Icon

I remember when Doom first came out, it creeped me out. The first time I heard a demon I almost jumped out of my chair. When I actually saw it charging me, I did!

Now I go back and play sometimes, and it is all so quaint... laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 31 2017, 11:13 AM
Post #3010

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Dec 30 2017, 04:54 PM) *

Oh, look at that cute little hellspawn biggrin.gif

Just finished PvZ Adventure mode for a second time. Didn't do much for me playing it through again so I'm just gonna stick with Survivial and the mini games. I like the music video at the end of Adventure mode though laugh.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Dec 31 2017, 11:13 AM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Dec 31 2017, 12:12 PM
Post #3011

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Dec 30 2017, 09:54 AM) *

I remember when Doom first came out, it creeped me out. The first time I heard a demon I almost jumped out of my chair. When I actually saw it charging me, I did!

Well you'll love Doom VFR but just have a barf bag on stand by 😷.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Dec 31 2017, 08:02 PM
Post #3012

Mouth
Group Icon

So instead of doing a NG+ in Dark Souls 3 I ended up making 2 new characters: a Knight and a Sorcerer. They ended up being one aspect of my Pyromancer being ramped up, so I got an insanely durable melee character with limited ranged options and an insanely fragile mage character that can steamroll things otherwise. Assuming she doesn't run out of stamina after 2 CASTS.

I have been dying MUCH less than my Pyromancer, but it doesn't mean I haven't run into difficulties, and I can totally see myself running into trouble with either one in the future.

The Sorcerer had trouble in the Road of Sacrifices, and it probably would have been worse had I not had prior knowledge to there being a Sorcery teacher on the Road AND 2 Sorcery scrolls down in Farron Keep. Once she learned the Great variants of the Soul Arrow spells and she unlocked Crystal weapon infusion, she was back to not being hopelessly weak against everything. Of course, there's still the problem with how demanding the spells are for stamina, which got her into trouble several times (she survived, but still)

Theeeeen she went up against the Crystal Sage at the end of the Road of Sacrifices, which was awful because they're resistant to Magic damage and since her backup weapon is infused with Crystal, it's ALL she can do in terms of damage. The Eygon summon wasn't much help aside from distracting the boss. He died at the same time as the boss. :v My Pyromancer had the benefit of having access to all forms of magic so when he reached the Smoldering Lake, he didn't have this problem with his Pyromancies. (Also it's about halfway through the game and he could infuse/reinforce weapons more quickly, so he got a Crystal weapon to replace his Fire one)

Like I said, the Knight is doing fairly well, as is expected of the "Dark Souls Noob" class. Being limited to melee and some archery will put him in an awkward position against certain bosses in the future, assuming he can't endure their assault like he has been. He's fallen victim to parries several times, and since I'm bad at timing those, it'll stay that way. At the very least, his "thing" seems to be surviving attacks that were 1-hit kills for my Pyromancer (and probably my Sorcerer). Almost got his head savagely torn off? He's still alive, but not two seconds and he's already grappling with the Grhu again and surviving. The Stray Demon's squeezing him like a stress toy and he wasn't chucked off the bridge? He survives to be squeezed again, somehow surviving with one HP and going on to win the fight. My Pyromancer's "thing" was being eaten to death, and my Sorcere's thing is being blindsighted and instakilled (usually by stray projectiles like darts or a huge flipping urn) so this is promising? ????

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Jan 2 2018, 10:03 PM
Post #3013

Mouth
Group Icon

I decided to make Half-Life my first-played game of 2018. Still on the autosave-only run.

It seems I have also completed the main story of Fallout 3, although I can't quite tell. Just have to eliminate any remaining Enclave regiments. Decided to dive into the DLC for Point Lookout beforehand, though.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jan 2 2018, 10:22 PM
Post #3014

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Jan 2 2018, 03:03 PM) *

I decided to make Half-Life my first-played game of 2018. Still on the autosave-only run.

It seems I have also completed the main story of Fallout 3, although I can't quite tell. Just have to eliminate any remaining Enclave regiments. Decided to dive into the DLC for Point Lookout beforehand, though.

Point Lookout is the shiz.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 2 2018, 10:36 PM
Post #3015

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jan 2 2018, 10:22 PM) *

Yup.

Just remember to bring LOTS of Stimpaks. And also to hotkey them tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jan 2 2018, 11:10 PM
Post #3016

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 2 2018, 03:36 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jan 2 2018, 10:22 PM) *

Yup.

Just remember to bring LOTS of Stimpaks. And also to hotkey them tongue.gif

Ghoul mask helps too tongue.gif

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Jan 3 2018, 07:56 AM
Post #3017

Master
Group Icon

I'm playing Star Trek Bridge Crew with the VR visor. Its a pretty unique game.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Jan 4 2018, 03:25 AM
Post #3018

Mouth
Group Icon

Today in Dark Souls 3: I delete my sorcerer because I'm tired of struggling with how...impotent Sorcery seems to be in this game. I honestly considered abandoning the class early on but pushed on anyways. I thought the Crystal Sage was just a one-time thing, since they were a sorcerer too and was bound to have high magic resistance. Then it was the awful time with the Deacons of the Deep which ALSO took an absurd amount of time killing with Sorceries. (And many many tries before successfully killing them)

Aldrich was the last straw. Plinking away at him with Great Heavy Soul Arrow wasn't cutting it, and I emptied out the healing Estus before I even got a quarter of his health down. So I resorted to Great Chaos Fireball (NOT A SORCERY!). Which has no stat requirements and is pretty powerful even without investment in Faith. But again, not a Sorcery. It STILL took several tries and from then on I started relying on the spell far too much.

So after struggling in the Profaned Capital (mere steps away from the Logan Scroll of Sorceries) I just...dropped to the main menu and deleted the save. I'll just pretend she went Hollow after defeating Aldritch. Well...I guess she WAS already Hollow. At 99, actually. So there. I ended up wasting my time on a character I was initially invested in because of how tricky the playstyle was. Guess I'll go back to the Knight after ignoring him for a while.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Jan 5 2018, 08:36 AM
Post #3019

Master
Group Icon

Eve Valkyrie Warzone. A nice little space combat flight Sim for the VR.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Jan 5 2018, 10:33 AM
Post #3020

Councilor
Group Icon

Right now, I'm torn between Dark Souls and Skyrim.

Dark Souls lets me play a spear-wielding Sorcerer, which is all kinds of cool. But is very much a game you have to settle in to beat.

Skyrim has a similar problem to Oblivion's old issue, in that I have too man character ideas vying to get into the game.

This post has been edited by Callidus Thorn: Jan 5 2018, 10:33 AM

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post

255 Pages V « < 149 150 151 152 153 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:05 AM