7 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The retrogame thread
mirocu
post Apr 30 2022, 07:58 AM
Post #101

Spam Meister
Group Icon

As always this time of year I've been playing my NES for a few weeks in the morning. It has become increasingly harder though because my bootleg Ninja Cleaner broke down last year and the official NES cleaner simply isn't as good. More difficult to clean the system as a result but I have been successful playing some games anyway by taking out and inserting the game again and again.

This morning I decided to fire up Contra, or Probotector as it's known over here. Only meant to play a few levels but I ended up playing through the whole game laugh.gif It's not that long anyway.

So yeah, I can now officially say I have beaten Contra before breakfast using the 30 life code -What? mellow.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Apr 30 2022, 08:00 AM
Post #102

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 30 2022, 01:58 AM) *

So yeah, I can now officially say I have beaten Contra before breakfast using the 30 life code -What? mellow.gif

Ah yes the Konami Code that made Contra beatable! I too used that code to beat Contra and I feel no shame in doing it biggrin.gif .

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post May 7 2022, 07:35 PM
Post #103

Spam Meister
Group Icon

NES story time!

I've been having issues with my beloved childhood NES ever since my off-brand cleaning device broke as that was the thing that was essential for the system to work. I haven't found a replacement and I suspect I'm not the only one who's discovered that it's way better than Nintendo's official product.
I tried getting it to work this morning but to no avail, so I fired up the second NES I have that I got as a backup (yup; you know me!). That one worked first try so I played Contra through.

Just now I decided to take my own NES apart again to see if I could clean the internal contacts. This is a risky thing as the screw heads might be damaged and thus impossible to remove and also the plastic they latch on to might give, so I always have to be careful.

I didn't find the contacts too dirty but I got a little bit off and after some fiddling I got the shield underneath back and the connector. Everything but the top shield and the lid itself. I also didn't screw all the screws back, only two in order to provide at least some sturdiness. Plugged it back in and popped in Contra.

It worked! First try! I'm always scared damaging something when I take it apart like this but it all worked fine. I also tried two other games and I did have to fiddle with them a bit before they worked but at least that's much easier now when the lid and top shield are easy to remove. I think I'm gonna leave them loose from now on actually. I would much like it to be all back as it should but if it at least work I can live with it. No idea screwing it all back as having it off makes it easier to clean the contacts with another part of the cleaning kit I have.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post May 7 2022, 08:14 PM
Post #104

Councilor
Group Icon

You can take apart a Nintendo? ohmy.gif But you can do this because you have a spare. Gooeness. How many consoles do you have?

Me: Atari 2600 (it's in a box. Probably still works, just need an old CRT TV to find out)
... Nintendo, although I forget if it's NES or SNES
... Playstation 2
.... two Playstation 3s (one is kaput)
... Xbox 360

I skipped the Xbox 1 / PS4 generation. Maybe I'll get one of those too someday.

This post has been edited by Renee: May 7 2022, 08:15 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post May 7 2022, 08:26 PM
Post #105

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ May 7 2022, 09:14 PM) *

You can take apart a Nintendo? ohmy.gif

Sure. The NES is just screwed together with Philips screws.

But you can do this because you have a spare.

Yeah, but also because I've done it before so I'm somewhat confident in doing it. And since it wouldn't work anyway I took the risk.

How many consoles do you have?

Two NES, one Mega Drive (Genesis), one xbox 360, one original Game Boy, two clear Game Boy and one Game Boy Light smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post May 8 2022, 12:51 PM
Post #106

Councilor
Group Icon

whoa whoa whoa you have an Xbox? 360??? blink.gif huh.gif What do you play on that? Any Bethesda games? Don't tell me you've still got that all contained in its original box!

No kidding, you have a Sega as well.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post May 8 2022, 01:06 PM
Post #107

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I got the Xbox three years ago. My boss's kid was about to just throw it away and even though I told him to sell it and get whatever he could for it, he'd just go nah. So instead of letting him throw it away, I took it off his hands. I've never played it and it didn't come with a Beth game or anything interesting. And even if it did, I prefer the PC.

When it comes to consoles I just prefer the NES and Contra/Probotector is something I can always pop in and have a go at! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post May 8 2022, 06:14 PM
Post #108

Councilor
Group Icon

I see. Well if you ever get interested and want to know anything about your free Xbox, I can help.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 8 2022, 10:23 PM
Post #109

Ancient
Group Icon

So Khajiit and Mrs. Khajiit started watching the Star Wars movies in order starting on May 4th because apparently we are suckers for fake holidays. Anyway, as we were watching the pod-racing sequence in The Phantom Menace, Khajiit got a strong desire to play the N64 classic Star Wars: Episode 1- Podracer. As soon as we get the interwebz out where we live now, Khajiit might get it from GOG.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 8 2022, 11:06 PM
Post #110

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ May 8 2022, 05:23 PM) *

So Khajiit and Mrs. Khajiit started watching the Star Wars movies in order starting on May 4th because apparently we are suckers for fake holidays. Anyway, as we were watching the pod-racing sequence in The Phantom Menace, Khajiit got a strong desire to play the N64 classic Star Wars: Episode 1- Podracer. As soon as we get the interwebz out where we live now, Khajiit might get it from GOG.

I think I still have that one on disc, from way back in the day.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post May 9 2022, 12:33 AM
Post #111

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ May 8 2022, 12:51 PM) *

whoa whoa whoa you have an Xbox? 360??? blink.gif huh.gif What do you play on that? Any Bethesda games? Don't tell me you've still got that all contained in its original box!

I've got a 360 too. Well, we technically have two of them but the older one is currently off-line (CDROM not working). We have to share the remaining one. wacko.gif Plenty of games on it still. We saw no reason to upgrade to One (other than to lighten our wallets which we declined).

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
mirocu
post May 9 2022, 04:30 PM
Post #112

Spam Meister
Group Icon

What? The Star Wars prequels are on N64?? blink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 9 2022, 09:05 PM
Post #113

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ May 9 2022, 10:30 AM) *

What? The Star Wars prequels are on N64?? blink.gif

I only remember the podracing game. The Naboo starfighter was an unlockable fighter in the excellent Rogue Squadron, but that game was set during the Galactic Civil War era. I don’t remember any other prequel games on N64.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 7 2023, 08:40 AM
Post #114

Spam Meister
Group Icon

IPB Image

As it's once again Easter I decided to try and fire up my old NES, this being a tradition around this time of year. It's a finicky system to say the least, even back in its heyday, so I didn't have much hope. That was lost a couple years back when my cleaner thing broke which was essential for making it work. I did try anyway and this is what happened.

I first tried Battle of Olympus, a game I never played a whole lot and was never any good at. No dice. All I got was a grey screen and nothing else. So I tried with the first Mega Man. Still nothing. Probotector (Contra)? No. Bubble Bobble? Pffh.

At this point I was about to give up. Without that cleaner I'm basically screwed and I can't seem to find another. Then the idea of blowing into the cartridge hit me. It's what we all used to do back in the day but what's nowadays frowned upon as you don't really want the moist from your breath to get into the system and potentially make it start rusting. Maybe not that big of a risk, but since there are better ways to make it work no one is doing it these days. But I thought hey, it doesn't seem to want to work anyway so why not go for a Hail Mary? So I got the Probotector (Contra) cartridge, blew into its contacts, inserted it into the system and pressed On. It worked! It totally worked, first try! It didn't even give up after a few seconds so I had to redo it! I ended up using the Konami code and played through the whole game. So once again I can say I beat Contra before breakfast biggrin.gif

After all this it was time to stop and go get breakfast. Being who I am though I just had to try Battle of Olympus again, just to see if the magic worked again which I honestly didn't expect. But it did! I blew into the contacts like ye olde days and yes; the game started on the first try!

What can we all make of this then? Two things I reckon; never give up and perhaps us kids weren't that daft after all.... wink.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Apr 7 2023, 08:43 AM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 7 2023, 01:11 PM
Post #115

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 7 2023, 02:40 AM) *

IPB Image

As it's once again Easter I decided to try and fire up my old NES, this being a tradition around this time of year. It's a finicky system to say the least, even back in its heyday, so I didn't have much hope. That was lost a couple years back when my cleaner thing broke which was essential for making it work. I did try anyway and this is what happened.

I first tried Battle of Olympus, a game I never played a whole lot and was never any good at. No dice. All I got was a grey screen and nothing else. So I tried with the first Mega Man. Still nothing. Probotector (Contra)? No. Bubble Bobble? Pffh.

At this point I was about to give up. Without that cleaner I'm basically screwed and I can't seem to find another. Then the idea of blowing into the cartridge hit me. It's what we all used to do back in the day but what's nowadays frowned upon as you don't really want the moist from your breath to get into the system and potentially make it start rusting. Maybe not that big of a risk, but since there are better ways to make it work no one is doing it these days. But I thought hey, it doesn't seem to want to work anyway so why not go for a Hail Mary? So I got the Probotector (Contra) cartridge, blew into its contacts, inserted it into the system and pressed On. It worked! It totally worked, first try! It didn't even give up after a few seconds so I had to redo it! I ended up using the Konami code and played through the whole game. So once again I can say I beat Contra before breakfast biggrin.gif

After all this it was time to stop and go get breakfast. Being who I am though I just had to try Battle of Olympus again, just to see if the magic worked again which I honestly didn't expect. But it did! I blew into the contacts like ye olde days and yes; the game started on the first try!

What can we all make of this then? Two things I reckon; never give up and perhaps us kids weren't that daft after all.... wink.gif

I wonder if air duster would work in place of blowing on it with your breath?

Khajiit started his first serious playthrough of Super Metroid on the Switch via the SNES online app. The platforming is a bit annoying at times, and I seem to be stuck in an area I can’t get out of, but otherwise, not a bad time!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 7 2023, 03:05 PM
Post #116

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 7 2023, 03:40 AM) *

IPB Image

laugh.gif I was just going to suggest blowing in the cartridge, lol. My last memories of NES were of the requirement of blowing them out in order to resurrect the Mario Brothers, lol. Really wish Nintendo would make the game backwards compatible on the new consoles (but without updating the games), lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 7 2023, 03:12 PM
Post #117

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 7 2023, 09:05 AM) *

Really wish Nintendo would make the game backwards compatible on the new consoles (but without updating the games), lol.

Well, you can play them on their latest console, the Switch, but you have to have an internet connection and a monthly subscription that costs around $4. Also there are the NES Minis that you can buy that are basically just a miniature version of the NES (complete with full size controllers) that come preloaded with a bunch of games to play. You simply connect them to a modern tv with an HDMI cord, plug in the ac cord and off you go!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 7 2023, 03:32 PM
Post #118

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Apr 7 2023, 10:12 AM) *

Really wish Nintendo would make the game backwards compatible on the new consoles (but without updating the games), lol.

Well, you can play them on their latest console, the Switch, but you have to have an internet connection and a monthly subscription that costs around $4. Also there are the NES Minis that you can buy that are basically just a miniature version of the NES (complete with full size controllers) that come preloaded with a bunch of games to play. You simply connect them to a modern tv with an HDMI cord, plug in the ac cord and off you go!

Ooh, I didn't know about any of this! Thanks Khajiit!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 7 2023, 04:42 PM
Post #119

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 7 2023, 09:32 AM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Apr 7 2023, 10:12 AM) *

Ooh, I didn't know about any of this! Thanks Khajiit!!!

Don’t mention it! Also, I just noticed that the price of the mini consoles is rather high right now ($212.99 on Amazon) so I’m not sure how “worth it” they are. unsure.gif
If you don’t already have a Switch, you can get a brand new Switch Lite for less than you can the mini console ($198.29 on Amazon), but you will only be able to use it in handheld mode. The normal Switch console is selling for $299.95 on Amazon.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 7 2023, 04:53 PM
Post #120

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Whether or not the NES mini is worth it is of course totally based upon the games preloaded and your preference. So make sure you look it up before buying.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:47 PM