Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TK's Mod Questions Thread, Got mod problems, or are you just lost with a tool?
ghastley
post Oct 4 2016, 08:17 PM
Post #321

Councilor
Group Icon

No, don't extract, just copy. The installer tab lets you install all or part of the mod, doing the extraction for you. Keeping it in the archive helps Wrye Bash know what belongs to what mod.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 4 2016, 08:50 PM
Post #322

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 4 2016, 02:17 PM) *

No, don't extract, just copy. The installer tab lets you install all or part of the mod, doing the extraction for you. Keeping it in the archive helps Wrye Bash know what belongs to what mod.

Oooh ok. Will try it later tonight. Thanks for the clarification!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 5 2016, 02:23 PM
Post #323

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Oct 4 2016, 01:08 PM) *

Wrye-Bash is Awesome for the knowledgeable in all things intricately technical. Everyone else should use something simpler, like either OBMM (Oblivion Mod Manager) or the Nexus Mod Manager.

I agree. If you're going to just have a lightly-modded game, NMM or OBMM are okay. Bash is actually easy to use once you learn it, but the trick is deciphering its readme, which uses a lot of technical terms and is confusing to newbs.

I somehow wound up using Wrye Smash for Skyrim, but prefer OBMM with Oblivion. There is another mod I'll hook you up with later, Cheshire, called FormID (something like this) which is really helpful if you ever encounter missing meshes in-game, or you can use it to simply tell you what mod adds what new items. For instance, if you see a rabbit in your game, and have several animal mods, you can carefully click on this rabbit, and FormID will tell you if the rabbit was added by MMM, or some other animal mod you've chosen.

Always ALWAYS ask questions too. We're here to help.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 5 2016, 03:48 PM
Post #324

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 5 2016, 08:23 AM) *

I agree. If you're going to just have a lightly-modded game, NMM or OBMM are okay. Bash is actually easy to use once you learn it, but the trick is deciphering its readme, which uses a lot of technical terms and is confusing to newbs.

I somehow wound up using Wrye Smash for Skyrim, but prefer OBMM with Oblivion. There is another mod I'll hook you up with later, Cheshire, called FormID (something like this) which is really helpful if you ever encounter missing meshes in-game, or you can use it to simply tell you what mod adds what new items. For instance, if you see a rabbit in your game, and have several animal mods, you can carefully click on this rabbit, and FormID will tell you if the rabbit was added by MMM, or some other animal mod you've chosen.

Always ALWAYS ask questions too. We're here to help.

Thank you. Any help given is much appreciated!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 5 2016, 03:58 PM
Post #325

Councilor
Group Icon

Clicking on anything with the console active will give you that information anyway, as the first two digits of the id match the mod's load order. There are mods that do the lookup for you, but you don't really need them if your mod manager has a convenient display.

If the first byte is "FF", then it means the item was generated in-game, such as an item you enchanted, or dropped. The lookup mods will track them back to the base form, (which could be from a mod), but again, there's a console command to get that.

They generally require OBSE, but most users have that anyway.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 5 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #326

Ancient
Group Icon

Just installed UOP with Wrye Bash. Thanks to ghastley for the help!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 5 2016, 06:05 PM
Post #327

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Oct 5 2016, 12:49 PM) *

Just installed UOP with Wrye Bash. Thanks to ghastley for the help!

I wish I had a Ghastley when I was struggling with Wrye-Bash!!!!

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 4 2016, 02:59 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Oct 4 2016, 01:08 PM) *

I personally am totally lost with Wrye-Bash, and because of that I lost some mods that were irreplaceable. They were no longer available to download; and Wrye-Bash somehow "ate them." I was sickened by it, because they were my favorite mods.

Wrye Bash wants you to put the installers in a folder called Oblivion Mods (or Skyrim Mods) at the same level as the Oblivion or Skyrim folder, and then inside that there's a Bash Installers folder (and another whose purpose I forget). It doesn't interact with the Nexus download process in any way, but you can download directly into that if you select it as the Save location when you download manually.

Is it possible you still have that folder?

I'll have to look on my Passport to see. I kept everything, but when I tried to access those mods they said, "Hidden" in some places and in others said, "That file is no longer available." (or some similar wording).

I lost the Oblivion Werewolf Mod, one of my favorite mods; lost all my original files to Maxical's "Kawa Khajiit;" lost my "Pirates of the Abecean" mod = those were the three I cared most about. I found an earlier data folder copy with some of Maxical's files in it, and found the howling sound files for the Oblivion Werewolf mod; but the ESP's were gone, all the meshes and textures, quests, etc. = gone. verysad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 6 2016, 11:58 PM
Post #328

Ancient
Group Icon

Anybody here using Wrye Bash 307?

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Oct 7 2016, 12:14 AM
Post #329

Master
Group Icon

I can't remember which version I'm currently using.

What's your question?

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 7 2016, 12:24 AM
Post #330

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Oct 6 2016, 06:14 PM) *

I can't remember which version I'm currently using.

What's your question?

I can't get it to initialize. I drag and dropped the Mopy into the Oblivion folder but when I click on the exe., it flashes for a second then never opens.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Oct 7 2016, 12:31 AM
Post #331

Master
Group Icon

Are you trying to install the .exe?

As I recall, running the Wrye Bash installer puts everything in the right place. However, if Oblivion is installed inside Program Files, then there will be problems. I assume you DIDN'T install either Oblivion nor Wrye Bash in the Windows Program Files?

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 7 2016, 12:46 AM
Post #332

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Oct 6 2016, 06:31 PM) *

As I recall, running the Wrye Bash installer puts everything in the right place. However, if Oblivion is installed inside Program Files, then there will be problems. I assume you DIDN'T install either Oblivion nor Wrye Bash in the Windows Program Files?

I've got Oblivion installed on a 1TB HDD I termed "A" drive. My boot drive is an SSD on "C" drive.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Oct 7 2016, 01:25 AM
Post #333

Master
Group Icon

Sounds like that is not the problem. Are you using the WB installer, or the manual install? I'm trying to remember how I installed WB, and I told it where to find Oblivion, then it took care of the rest.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 7 2016, 01:26 AM
Post #334

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Oct 6 2016, 07:46 PM) *

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Oct 6 2016, 06:31 PM) *

I've got Oblivion installed on a 1TB HDD I termed "A" drive. My boot drive is an SSD on "C" drive.

*mALX drools*

But in your "A" drive where you have it, you should create a path such as:

A:(create a file named "Games" HERE)

Inside that file folder you should put everything related to your games: the entire Bethesda Softworks files (Oblivion, Morrowind). Steam should be in here too. Your Editors like Geck, Creation Kit, etc - all go in here. OBMM, FOMM, NMM, etc - all go in here.

I keep a folder in my "Games" folder for screenshots that inside has the games divided into folders, it keeps the bulky screenshots off my SSD drive.

You may consider reinstalling Wrye-Bash "as administrator" in that "Games" folder, but better ask Kiln/Ghastley/SubRosa about that.

** In other words, regardless the drive it is on, it should NEVER be under the "Program Files" folder, because you will ALWAYS have permission issues even though you are the administrator and even if you run them as Administrators - Always, because Bill Gates has built a control into Program Files that bypasses EVERYthing like it is obsessed with being in control of your PC.

This post has been edited by mALX: Oct 7 2016, 01:30 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 7 2016, 02:06 AM
Post #335

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Oct 6 2016, 07:25 PM) *

Sounds like that is not the problem. Are you using the WB installer, or the manual install? I'm trying to remember how I installed WB, and I told it where to find Oblivion, then it took care of the rest.

The instructions I got on the Bethsoft forums was simply to drag and drop it into the Oblivion root folder. It's not an installer, apparently 307's isn't reliable yet as I was pointed towards the manual install one.

QUOTE(mALX @ Oct 6 2016, 07:26 PM) *
*snip*
Yeah it's definitely not under the program files, not even the same drive, lol
Should I bother with that extra folder if I don't plan on keeping anything but games on it?

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 7 2016, 02:12 AM
Post #336

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Oct 6 2016, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Oct 6 2016, 07:25 PM) *

The instructions I got on the Bethsoft forums was simply to drag and drop it into the Oblivion root folder. It's not an installer, apparently 307's isn't reliable yet as I was pointed towards the manual install one.

QUOTE(mALX @ Oct 6 2016, 07:26 PM) *
*snip*
Yeah it's definitely not under the program files, not even the same drive, lol
Should I bother with that extra folder if I don't plan on keeping anything but games on it?

It is just one file, "Games." I would, because you can put all your game things in there like the game itself; the screenshots; the editor (Creation Set); etc - instead of cluttering up your A drive with a bunch of folders.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 7 2016, 02:31 AM
Post #337

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Oct 6 2016, 08:12 PM) *

It is just one file, "Games." I would, because you can put all your game things in there like the game itself; the screenshots; the editor (Creation Set); etc - instead of cluttering up your A drive with a bunch of folders.

Ok gotcha. Khajiit will take it under advisement! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Oct 7 2016, 02:31 AM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 7 2016, 01:58 PM
Post #338

Councilor
Group Icon

I'd argue that if "A:" means "Games", then you don't need another level. As long as it's not a sub-folder of "Program Files" it doesn't inherit the permissions.

Wrye Bash often delivers update-only packages that you just drop into an existing installation. You may need to do a full installation before dropping 307 in because it doesn't contain anything that didn't change.

Because it's written in Python, you run the Python run-time with a parameter that tells it to load up Wrye Bash. It's the same way Java stuff runs. There should be a .bat or similar than starts it up, rather than a .exe. I installed it back with Oblivion, and upgraded multiple times. I have one installation for both Oblivion and Skyrim, with different startup shortcuts on my taskbar.

---

I too have a SSD/HDD combo, and the SSD is the boot (C:) drive. I moved the "Users" folder off onto the HDD via a symlink, so that my game saves don't fill the SSD.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Oct 7 2016, 02:04 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 7 2016, 06:08 PM
Post #339

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 7 2016, 07:58 AM) *

I'd argue that if "A:" means "Games", then you don't need another level. As long as it's not a sub-folder of "Program Files" it doesn't inherit the permissions.

Wrye Bash often delivers update-only packages that you just drop into an existing installation. You may need to do a full installation before dropping 307 in because it doesn't contain anything that didn't change.

Because it's written in Python, you run the Python run-time with a parameter that tells it to load up Wrye Bash. It's the same way Java stuff runs. There should be a .bat or similar than starts it up, rather than a .exe. I installed it back with Oblivion, and upgraded multiple times. I have one installation for both Oblivion and Skyrim, with different startup shortcuts on my taskbar.
Yeah I wondered about that. The archive only contained the Mopy.
QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 7 2016, 07:58 AM) *

I too have a SSD/HDD combo, and the SSD is the boot (C:) drive. I moved the "Users" folder off onto the HDD via a symlink, so that my game saves don't fill the SSD.
That's a good idea.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
PhonAntiPhon
post Nov 25 2016, 11:27 AM
Post #340

Mouth
Group Icon

I tried using WB twice, I really did, but despite actually working at the sharp end of the IT industry I just could not make head-nor-tail of it, and so I use OBMM and BOSS. If that means my setup is a bit less efficient or a bit more unstable then well that is a risk I will take. wacko.gif

WB just seemed to me to be overly complicated to set up and administer. I'm sure it's great and all and maybe I'll give it another go this time around but if I do it's not an experience I can see me looking forward too!
The thing is I would really benefit from using it as I do run a very mod-heavy game and it is, even with OMOD discipline, easy to lose track of stuff.

Hmmm...
...maybe I should give it another go... kvright.gif

--------------------
Settled in Breezehome - (Mostly)
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:19 PM