Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy the Bowgirl, Book 1, Thread 3, Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?
Acadian
post Dec 14 2010, 03:58 PM
Post #1

Paladin
Group Icon

Welcome to Thread 3, or the third season of Buffy's Book 1!

This book began with Buffy being briefly incarcerated in the Imperial Prison, and will end as she attempts to bring freedom to the city of Kvatch. It is a sprawling story that will require more than 150 episodes, spread over five threads. Appropriately, I have nicknamed Book 1, 'Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?'

Thread 1 included episodes 1-26.

Thread 2 began with a brief recap of thread one, then included episodes 27-56.

Please allow me to offer a small summary of Thread 2 that I hope might prove useful as a review, or for those who are joining us in progress:

Buffy discovered, from a black marketeer in Bravil, that sigil stones are what hold Oblivion Gates open.

In Chorrol, Buffy learned, after the fact, that the monk Jauffre had been murdered and the Amulet of Kings apparently stolen - almost immediately after Buffy had delivered it to him.

Her business in Chorrol also saw Buffy plot and carry out a deserved, but nonetheless calculated assassination of a rogue mage named Earana. Although tempted by the subsequent Dark Brotherhood's seductive lure of love and family, Buffy ultimately balked at her initiation contract and concluded that her killing and taste for vengeance were not for hire. Her 'dance with darkness' led to the forging and adopting of The Buffy Doctrine: If you are kind to me, I will love you dearly; if you are mean to me or my friends, I will likely kill you.

She began to display a fascination with the quests of Daedra Lords that, at first, made sense. Azura had given Buffy a wonderful artifact, and Meridia helped her avenge a murdered guild mate. Succumbing to the lure of Daedric trinkets, Buffy then undertook several more of these quests, netting disappointment and even shame over some of her choices.

Her fascination with Daedra Lords nevertheless remained and she eventually, with the help of Acadian, realized the cause: The Oblivion Gate at Kvatch was the work of a Daedra Lord, Mehrunes Dagon. Buffy had learned that without an Emperor, the Legion was too busy holding rebellious provinces together to send forces to close a gate that seemed under control. She realized that if she didn't help, no one would. Her curious logic yielded that perhaps one of Mehrunes Dagon's colleagues could help her learn more about fighting the Daedra within the gate, and ultimately closing it.

A second brief visit to Kvatch refined that her motivation did not necessarily stem from a desire to assist the Empire or Kvatch. It became clear that the focus of her efforts was Savlian Matius himself, even as she wrestled with trying to understand her growing feelings for him.

Now, for those newer readers who would like to catch up to us in one short sitting, you might find this helpful: Buffy – The Executive Summary Thread.

We now join Buffy as she embarks on a large storyline we call 'The Leyawiin Expedition,' that will sprawl over approximately sixteen episodes. Although the Daedra Lord Sanguine's quest is Buffy's excuse to visit to Leyawiin, I hope you will sit back and enjoy her rather multifaceted, expansive and sometimes circuitous approach to things.

57 The Leyawiin Expedition, Part 1- Wet Reflections

The journey to Leyawiin was miserable. It never stopped raining. Despite wearing a hood, cape and robes, my skin was soaked and my boots full of water. The storm seemed to deter bandits and beasts though, and had allowed us to slosh along the puddle-laden road in relative peace. I had plenty of time to discuss my plans and concerns at length with Acadian and Superian.

My heart still ached from my decision to leave Kvatch. The excuses I had given Savlian Matius about trying to get more help for him and experience for me were true enough, although incomplete. I had nightmares of fireballs, burning rivers, and those terrifying clannfears. Amidst the brave defenders on top of that mountain, I was too ashamed to proclaim that much of my reason for leaving was fear.

That fear extended to my feelings for Savlian as well. Was a skittish wood elf really what that courageous man needed? Was a soldier, who subordinated his own needs and feelings to the defense of his city, what I needed? Was he even capable of caring about a woman more than his beloved Kvatch?

Yet. . . he had charged into that gate after me, jeopardizing his ability to command the effort at the barricade. Did that mean. . . oh, I didn't know what any of it meant. I thought about the beautiful Nord that now graced his defensive perimeter. I couldn't blame Savlian if he preferred her to me. After all, Sigrid was neither skittish nor would she run away. I knew I would return. . . just not yet. Not with those nightmares. What would I find when I did go back to Kvatch? We slowly plodded along in the downpour. A tear slid down my cheek, only to be lost in the rain.

The depressing weather also helped doubts to seep into my commitment to the current path that Acadian and I had agreed upon. Would any of these Daedra Lords help me learn more about how to survive the denizens of Mehrunes Dagon's realm so I could close that gate?

We carefully skirted the rising Lower Niben, where relentless rain had claimed parts of the Green Road near Water's Edge. Recalling the tragedy I had inflicted upon the poor Khajiit of nearby Borderwatch, it was easy to become discouraged with Daedra Lords. As I contemplated my shameful actions in support of Sheogorath, it was not lost on me that Sanguine seemed to be requesting another such 'harmless' practical joke. I vowed quietly into the rain, "I will not cast Sanguine's spell if I come to believe it will shatter hopes or lives. I did enough of that at Borderwatch."

It was thoughts of Vaermina and her tower of nightmares that provided a glimmer of hope into my soggy despair; at least she had acknowledged my fears, and provided Daedra to help improve my skill and confidence.

Ultimately though, as Acadian had pointed out, I realized that I wasn't yet ready to take on an Oblivion Gate.

Resigned then to our current path, I mused and pondered aloud about what might await us in Leyawiin. Acadian and Superian listened patiently in the rain as I tried to come up with ideas of how I might infiltrate my way into Castle Leyawiin and the Countess' dinner party.

Despite my trepidation regarding Sanguine's task, I confessed some excitement at the prospects for intrigue and learning a bit of what happens inside a castle. And of course, what girl would turn down the chance to dress up in a formal gown?

By the time the walls of Leyawiin began to emerge from the darkness, I had almost convinced myself that continuing to research Daedra Lords was a perfectly valid reason to delay getting myself killed at Kvatch.

During the brief moment that the heavy wooden door to the Leyawiin guild was open, rain swept across the elegant marble floor, and a crack of thunder caused the mage inside the lobby to flinch. I removed my soaked hood. "Good evening, Evoker," I said to the Nord as my cape and green robe dripped on the floor.

"Greetings, Apprentice. I see the weather outside is still fit only for Argonians." Agata was pleasant, but businesslike, with her hair severely pulled back and wearing standard guild-issue blue robes. "It's been quite some time since you helped us by recovering Dagail's amulet. I was pleased that our recommendation helped you enter the University. During my recent visit there, Boderi Farano told me you did quite well for yourself. What brings you to Leyawiin?"

"Mostly research, Agata." I had found the term 'research' to be well-accepted among mages, and covered a multitude of things I didn't want to share. "Do you think I could stow my things and use Kalthar's old bed in the basement while I'm here?" I extended both arms to emphasize my baggy dripping sleeves, and shrugged.

The Nord smiled. "Forgive me, Buffy. Of course. Use Kalthar's quarters. Head down there right now and get yourself into some dry things. My dear friend Kud-Ei would never forgive me if we let one of her girls catch cold. We'd be delighted to have you stay as long as you like. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with."

"Thank you for the welcome, Agata." I headed downstairs.

As I looked at the bed in the basement, I remembered Kalthar. Killing a whining traitor to help the kind and wise leader of this guild had been a fair trade. The Council of Mages had determined my actions to be self defense and absolved me for the death of my guild mate.

After tugging off and draining my boots, I removed the cape and robe. Squeezing out the excess water, I found a place to hang them, along with the hood. While unpacking, I allowed the air to dry my rain-soaked skin. My fingers and toes were quite pale and wrinkled.

I hoped Delphine knew what she was talking about, commending Agata to me. If the Nordic assistant guild leader knew much about fashion and hair, it surely didn't show. Of course, I was hardly one to talk at the moment. My ponytail was more like a wet rattail. Removing the soaked ribbon I shook my loose hair, spraying the walls.

Laying out my gowns to relax the travel wrinkles, I was grateful that Delmar at the Chironasium had helped me enchant my pack to protect the contents from water. By the time I finished unpacking, my skin was dry and I pulled on a blue and green dress - with matching slippers of course. I then combed out my wet hair and headed back upstairs.

As I climbed to the second floor of the guild, I suppressed a squeal at my good fortune and chirped, "Hail, Tsavi." A green hood, atop a matching robe, turned around to reveal the the Khajiit. She was a member of the guild, but more importantly was the Staff Mage for Castle Leyawiin.

"Good evening, Buffy. Nice to see you. The trip from Bravil was uneventful?" Tsavi looked perpetually sad, but she was nevertheless pleasant enough.

"Yes, but for that interminable storm." Careful now, Buffy; nice and subtle. "I had to wear my rain gear all the way. Tsavi, I notice your green robes from the University. I hate wearing mine. How do you get them to fit so well?"

She seemed pleased at the compliment as she looked down and smoothed the robes with her hands. Her tail flicked around from behind and swept down the front of her lower legs. "These have been altered - to fit better and allow for a tail. Otherwise this one would swim around tripping over the hem."

I laughed. "Oh, good idea. I called them 'green bags' at the University." Good. Tsavi was opening up just a bit. "I only wear mine against the rain. Fortunately, they've been soaked and dried enough that they've shrunk to fit somewhat."

Tsavi smiled. "Well the whole idea of wearing robes as the Court Mage is important. It helps remind those in the castle - well really, just the Countess - of the position's importance. Otherwise, she would likely throw Tsavi out."

"Throw you out?" I opened my eyes wide for her benefit. Yes! She was talking about the castle now. "Why on Nirn would the Countess do that?" Add just a pinch of flattery. "You're a skilled mage and healer."

"Countess Caro hates Khajiit." Tsavi shook her head slowly and her ears drooped. "The sad part is, she could perhaps be a fine Lady Leyawiin otherwise. At least she dislikes Khajiit and Argonians equally. The way many of our two races torment each other in this town, the last thing we need is for her to take sides. This one believes the Countess just dislikes anyone whose appearance varies from her own Imperialness. You should see how she lifts her nose when she passes that orc who's been hanging around the Great Hall."

"Orc?" I pounced on the opportunity and tried my best to gush encouragement. "Now, that sounds mysterious!"

"Oh, it is." Tsavi perked up. "That orc claims she's a knight, but just snarls that she won't talk to anyone but the Count. Of course, the guards won't let a snarling orc anywhere near Lord Leyawiin. She's done nothing that quite warrants arrest, so things are at a standstill. Since his guards can get nowhere with her, the Count has offered a reward to anyone who can determine the orc's business."

"Fascinating, Tsavi," I said. Ok Buffy, turn off the gush. Time to gently back out. "How's Dagail? I mean, now that she has her amulet back to channel her voices and visions."

"Dagail? As wise as she ever was," replied the Khajiit. "She still talks in questions and circles, but if you pay attention you can learn much from her. Agata continues to handle much of the daily business for the guild. That reminds Tsavi that her purpose this evening is to see Agata. Please excuse this one, Apprentice. Wonderful to see you again."

"You too, Tsavi. 'Bye." I gave myself a passing grade for this first step of my infiltration. My business remained my own. The less people involved in Sanguine's perversion, the better. I hoped to minimize Agata's role to that of providing assistance with clothing and hair, should the time come. The conversation with Tsavi had provided a reason to visit the castle - albeit, an apparently snarling one.

* From Buffy's scrapbook: Screenshot1 * Screenshot2

This post has been edited by Acadian: Oct 28 2011, 10:25 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 14 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

Congrats on Thread 3 !!!! Miss Buffy, infiltrating - I like this chapter because - although she usually runs headlong into things, she has learned to be leary of Daedric Lords - so is going about this like a mission, studying every aspect, planning - really huge change for Buffy, and therefore - hilarious !!!

I recognize much of this from thread one, but Buffy is always worth a second read !!! Congrats again !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
D.Foxy
post Dec 14 2010, 04:58 PM
Post #3

Knower
Group Icon

All hail to the Great Acadian, creator of characters that cling to our imaginations!!!

I am glad to be the first to post in your new thread. *

Congratulations, and may your writing ability increase as steadily as in your last thread!

* BAH mALX beat me to the punch!!! Grrr....how she does it I don't know...unless..

UNLESS...

blink.gif

:stare:

YOUNG LADY DID YOU WASH YOUR HANDS BEFORE TYPING????

This post has been edited by D.Foxy: Dec 14 2010, 05:00 PM
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 14 2010, 05:05 PM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(D.Foxy @ Dec 14 2010, 10:58 AM) *

* BAH mALX beat me to the punch!!! Grrr....how she does it I don't know...unless..

UNLESS...

blink.gif

:stare:

YOUNG LADY DID YOU WASH YOUR HANDS BEFORE TYPING????

SPEW !!!! ROFL !!!! You owe me for a keyboard and monitor now, Foxy !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 14 2010, 05:33 PM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

I had plenty of time to discuss my plans and concerns at length with Acadian and Superian.
Right out of the starting gate you give us this wonderful sentence. Why is it wonderful? Because this shows us very clearly how Buffy thinks of Superian. Not as a conveyance, but as a friend and companion.

Buffy also shows more wisdom that most women twice her age as she ruminates on whether or not Savlian is a good match for her. Here is a guy who seems married to his job. Is he really worth her time? Does she want to be second fiddle to his first love, his duty?

I had almost convinced myself that continuing to research Daedra Lords was a perfectly valid reason to delay getting myself killed at Kvatch.
This gave me a good chuckle! laugh.gif

A delightful conversation with Tsavi that both brings Buffy up to speed on several things: Mazoga, the Countess is a racist, and the Khajiit and Argonians do not get along in Leyawiin. Our Bosmer handled the castle mage like a pro, and has just what she needs to get her foot in the door now.

She still talks in questions and circles
Master Po! (I have been watching the first season of Kung Fu, so the coolest blind man in the world is not far from my mind these days!)

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Dec 14 2010, 10:41 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Dec 14 2010, 06:08 PM
Post #6

Mouth
Group Icon

Tsavi!Tsavi!Tsavi! Tsavi is my favourite Khajiit (and she does look good in a green bag!)

Back to Buffy, I feel sorry for her having to wear a green bag (in the rain as well!) biggrin.gif . My Argonian friend does like his bag (although his is blue) because he feels very important when he wears it. tongue.gif

Buffy's memories of Kalthar were brilliant, it really brought her story around. Fabulous! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by hazmick: Dec 14 2010, 11:36 PM

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
Grizzly20
post Dec 15 2010, 01:39 AM
Post #7

Retainer

Again, congratulations on thread three! Great use of descriptive words and sentence structure variety in your piece, it really helps the reader to envision the setting and characters! I wonder what Mazoga will be like to Buffy, a lot of Orcs tend to dislike Elves. Amazing writing Acadian, and amazing story Buffy!
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Dec 15 2010, 03:16 AM
Post #8

Knower
Group Icon

Awesome chapter, oh master of prose.

We slowly plodded along in the downpour. A tear slid down my cheek, only to be lost in the rain.
I loved the way you joined emotion to the rain. That is such a cool idea to symbolize the heavens above unleashing a torrent that wipes away Buffy's tear. It seems fitting that Leyawiin is raining all the time, it is probably doing that so that the atrocities that are committed there can be hidden.

Acadian and Superian listened patiently in the rain as I tried to come up with ideas of how I might infiltrate my way into Castle Leyawiin and the Countess' dinner party.
Another lovely line that is sooo Buffy. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Winter Wolf: Dec 15 2010, 03:17 AM

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Dec 15 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #9

Mouth
Group Icon

Congratulations on Thread 3!

So even with Dagail’s faculties returned, Agata remains the heart and soul of the Leyawiin Guild. I wonder if Buffy’s estimation of Dagail as ‘kind and wise’ has more to do with her experience of the woman, or with the fact that they share the same race?

I am glad to see you include a little something about the Council of Mages judgment of the events surrounding Buffy’s Leyawiin recommendation. It always bothered me that the game lets that one slide, while expelling me from the Guild every other time I kill an imp!
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Dec 14 2010, 08:33 AM) *

A delightful conversation with Tsavi that both brings Buffy up to speed on several things: Mazoga, the Countess is a racist, and the Khajiit and Argonians do not get along in Leyawiin. Our Bosmer handled the castle mage like a pro, and has just what she needs to get her foot in the door now.

Can't say it any better than this!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Casper1984
post Dec 15 2010, 10:44 AM
Post #10

Retainer

The journey to Leyawiin was miserable. It never stopped raining.

No surprise there, I hate that. There has to be a mod out there that actually makes the weather sunny forever. Might have to give it a try myself then. kvright.gif

I knew I would return. . . just not yet. Not with those nightmares.

Would any of these Daedra Lords help me learn more about how to survive the denizens of Mehrunes Dagon's realm so I could close that gate?

So here I wonder when she'll be ready. When the nightmares stop? Why would they stop? Is she already leveled up completely? Will a new item help her? Minor skills such as the destruction (up to 90, what do you mean 'no Delphine Jend' wink.gif)?

I've never done the quest with the Orc knight, so if Buffy is going to have a go at her I'm looking forward to that.

And yes, imo Tsavi looks good with that hood on, my Khajiit's never really do.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 15 2010, 06:15 PM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Casper1984 @ Dec 15 2010, 04:44 AM) *

No surprise there, I hate that. There has to be a mod out there that actually makes the weather sunny forever. Might have to give it a try myself then. kvright.gif

Just open the console and type "FW 38EEE"

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 15 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #12

Councilor
Group Icon

"We carefully skirted the rising Lower Niben, where relentless rain had claimed parts of the Green Road near Water's Edge." I love this detail. It says so much about the storm.

"If the Nordic assistant guild leader knew much about fashion and hair, it surely didn't show." I've been wondering about this since Delphine said it! I'm looking forward to learning if there is more to Agata than her appearance would suggest.

Thread 3 felicitations! cake.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
MyCat
post Dec 16 2010, 03:50 AM
Post #13

Evoker

A tear slid down my cheek, only to be lost in the rain.

Reminds me of Blade Runner, Roy Batty's dying speech. Not that that is a bad thing.
+Quote Post
Casper1984
post Dec 16 2010, 07:30 AM
Post #14

Retainer

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Dec 15 2010, 06:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Casper1984 @ Dec 15 2010, 04:44 AM) *

Just open the console and type "FW 38EEE"

I bet I have to do that every time I go to a new cell and it does start to rain again? Thanks anyway. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Hierarch44
post Dec 16 2010, 03:30 PM
Post #15

Associate

Hi Acadian,

I just wanted to let you know how much of a help the how-to aspects of these threads have been. I played Oblivion for a few months last year, and started reading this thread when I picked the game back up about a month ago. There were so many things I didn't know or was not willing to try my first time around:
- last year, I tried to efficiently level and max my character out with the best stats and gear. Your thread showed me that stats aren't critical to success in this game. Now I have much more fun by limiting my character to light armor, no shield or bow, and just a longsword and magic.
- I had never tried the bedroll or bag of holding mods, but was inspired to use them after reading your thread. Now I spend much more time actually playing the game, instead of having to run to a town to sleep or sell loot.
- I had never tried the doomstone powers before, but after reading this thread I used the tower stone to open some important locks before I could get the skeleton key (i suck at lockpicking).
- I had never learned how to make black soul gems, so all of my weapons had charges of 800. Now I have a bandit-powered sword. : )
- I had never used command humanoid until after reading about Buffy taking down vampires and necromancers. Now large groups of enemies are a breeze.

Thank you for writing these threads; they have made the game much more enjoyable for me and inspired me to pay more attention to the RP aspects of the game.

- Hierarch44 biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Dec 17 2010, 04:54 AM
Post #16

Mouth
Group Icon

First off, yet another congrats on Thread #3, and what a way to suck us back in, what with the antics of everyone's favorite bowgirl to the ongoing quest learning all things Daedric, here we see a story where every character drips with personality and inspiration is drawn from even the very best. I contend that many a professional writer could learn a thing or two about conveying depth of character simply by reading this backwoods slice of heaven.

Eagerly awaiting more. smile.gif

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 17 2010, 02:22 PM
Post #17

Paladin
Group Icon

During episode 57, Buffy traveled to Leyawiin. Along the way, her musings ranged from her feelings about Savlian Matius to questioning the wisdom of chasing after Daedra Lords. As she neared her destination, she began to focus her thoughts toward possible ways of worming her way into the castle in order to facilitate Sanguine's task. Upon arrival, she prevailed upon the hospitality of the Leyawiin mages guildhall. She quickly picked up a tip from Tsavi, staff mage to the Court of Leyawiin, about an orc causing concern at the castle.

mALX- Thank you. Our objectives regarding Leyawiin are very ambitious, and will indeed require a cautious and planned approach.

Foxy- Thank you for your steady guidance and support, my friend.

SubRosa- You always nail so much! Superian - truly Buffy's friend and companion. Savlian - can Buffy ever compete with Savlian's love for Kvatch and dedication to duty? Is he wise enough to realize what is within his grasp?

hazmick- Thanks for the kind words regarding Buffy's return to Leyawiin!

Grizzly- Thank you! Yes, I suspect some sparks between Buffy and Mazoga. But first, an unexpected sidetrip.

Wolf- Thank you for enjoying the way we tried to blend the weather into Buffy's ruminations en route to Leyawiin. Also for noting how freely and intimately Buffy considers both Acadian and Superian to be within every aspect of her life.

Destri- Thank you! Buffy freely acknowledges that Agata is a leader, yet she remains intrigued by the kind wisdom of Dagail. Buffy recalls from her first visit to Leyawiin, that Dagail can detect the spirit of Acadian.

Casper- I'm sorry, if in replying a few episode's ago to Foxy's question about Buffy's spell I may have caused confusion. Currently, Buffy is my co-author, relaying the history of her adventures that occurred during Book 1. She has completed all the actions and adventures of Book 1 and is indeed quite leveled up.

At the time when the current events in her story took place however, she was level 12 -14 and had a great deal to learn. Very shortly after she leaves Leyawiin in her story, she will undergo a dramatic change regarding Daedra - she will learn to be the hunter instead of the prey, and her nightmares will end.

The Leyawiin Expedition weaves together several quests with more complexity than any of her storylines to date. In fact, in this very next episode, she will be sharply diverted from what we may have expected.

Grits- Thank you! We don't have big plans for Agata. She will help put Buffy together as Delphine suggested when the time comes. She also serves to somehow - in Buffy's mind - link Nords, fashion, envy, Sigrid, Kvatch and feelings of inadequacy all together in a green soup of jealousy and self-doubt. Lol.

MyCat- Thank you for drawing attention to the tear that slid down Buffy's cheek into the rain.

Hierarch44- I am delighted that the 'how to' tips we have tried to weave into Buffy's story have helped your game! Even though we take liberties with quests and NPCs, we try to keep her tactics, skills and weaponry close enough to the game as to be very recognizable. Although we freely use cosmetic mods for Buffy, her outfits and Superian, we try to limit other mods that change gameplay; I'm pleased that such mods as bag of holding and portable campsite have been clearly enough portrayed to indeed identify them as mods. I so appreciate the feedback of your perspective!

Thomas Kaira- A warm welcome to Buffy's world and much thanks for the kind words!

58 The Leyawiin Expedition, Part 2- A Change of Plans

"Acadian, I thought we were trying to infiltrate Castle Leyawiin and find a way into the Countess' dinner party. How is traipsing over to the east side of The Lower Niben going to help get us into that castle? Shouldn't our next step be to investigate that orc in the Great Hall?" I stared at the blue mark on my map, perplexed. I knew I could ignore it, but should I?

My choices hadn't always been the best. I'm the one who decided to jump into an Oblivion Gate, forcing Savlian Matius to carry me back out. It wasn't Acadian that almost led us into the Dark Brotherhood.

Although mystified, and frankly a bit peeved, I heaved a sigh and rolled up the map. "Fine."

Even from the road, trees couldn't fully hide the unmistakable shape of a towering gray statue. My heart quickened as I realized Superian and I were approaching a Daedric Shrine.

"Acadian, you're really confusing me now. Why did you lead me here when we haven't even figured out how to complete our current business? Shouldn't we be thinking about how to get into the Countess' dinner party? Are you simply showing me which Daedra Lord we should consult after completing Sanguine's task?"

I scratched my head. "No, if that were the case, you would have waited. This must somehow be related to the castle." I shrugged in resignation. "You know, it wouldn't hurt sometimes if you'd just talk to me a bit more."

As we drew closer, the Daedric Shrine became fully visible, just beyond a short bridge that crossed a quiet stream.

The statue depicted a slender, robed woman. Each of her outstretched arms supported the figure of a large night bird. As a student of Daedra Lords, I instantly recognized this one. I approached the shrine and, from astride Superian, reached up and touched the Night Mistress, Nocturnal.

"Night among strangers." The voice of a woman fell softly around me like a shroud of silk. "Secrets in the dark. Nocturnal is here. But my Eye is blind and drowned, stolen from its shrine and hid in dark waters. To steal from a god is most unwise. In Leyawiin, two Argonians think themselves secret, but the Eye has seen them. Find these thieves in the city that spans the waters. Learn where they hide my Eye. Retrieve the Eye of Nocturnal, Child of Dawn. Return it to me, and I shall look favorably upon you."

Well, at least she didn't jam a spell into my, um . . . repertoire like Namira and Sanguine had done. I checked the map to ensure there were no more blue surprises. Turning Superian, we headed back toward Leyawiin.

So, someone stole from the Mistress of Thieves? Imagine that. It seemed I wasn't the only one who would never be adjudged the brightest star in the night sky. I wasn't sure if that observation applied more to the thieves or the victimized Daedra Lord.

Sitting by a crackling campfire on the small rocky beach, I inspected my arrows as I reviewed the day and a half that had passed since my visit to Nocturnal. Next to Slayer, on the ground beside me was the Star of Azura. It contained the life energy of a troll. Flames gently licked the venison and crabmeat in front of me. I was tired and hungry.

The two Argonian thieves had been easy to find. Racial tensions and a few septims flashed in front of a Khajiit had quickly yielded the names and location of Weebam-Na and Bejeen.

Not far from the campfire, Superian stood by the water's edge. I glanced at her with a smile, then looked skyward. Although it was a beautiful night, the overhanging rocks behind me would provide shelter for my bedroll in the event of a sudden downpour - a common occurrence in the Black Marsh. I retrieved the meat from my fire and began wolfing it down.

The two thieves, even under a spell, had agreed to tell me nothing except some nonsense about what sounded to be rather unsavory recipes for rat meat. Later, slinking in the darkness, I had returned in my black cat suit. A spell from across the street had coaxed the tumblers protecting the Argonians' door open - so much more efficient than trying to break my fingernails with a lockpick. Quietly, I had entered like a shadow.

I hadn't waited long before Bejeen posed a question to Weebam-Na: "What if someone discovers we have hidden it in Tidewater Cave?" That was all I needed to hear, before I snuck out as quietly as I had entered.

The crab and venison were gone, and I was full. I poked at the fire and added another piece of dry wood from the small pile I had gathered.

Tidewater Cave was on my map from when I had visited the nearby Serpent Stone during my first visit to Leyawiin. It was there I had learned my Cobra's Dance power. Smiling with a familiar sheepishness, I recalled protesting Acadian's blue mark that had led me there so long ago. I was thankful for the magnificent swirling cobra that had leaped from my fingers many times to save my life.

This morning, we had set out for Tidewater Cave. Following the swampy coast south from Leyawiin had furnished some game for dinner. Ferns grew nearly to Superian's belly, while weeping trees trailed their leaf-laden branches almost to her back. The air was thick with moisture. Green stain cup and stinkhorn grew in abundance. By mid afternoon, we neared our destination.

My rings had alerted me to a pair of pink glows guarding the cave long before they were aware of our approach. Dismounting into the ferns and soft ground, I had crept close enough to cast a spell that convinced one troll to mortally engage his comrade. A single arrow had killed the survivor.

It was late now. The campfire caused flickering shadow and light to dance upon every muscled detail of my precious black mare. Azura's Star sang its quiet, mournful song as I transferred the troll's life force to Slayer. Entering Tidewater Cave could wait till morning.

Moonlight shimmered invitingly across the surface of Topal Bay. There were no pink glows nearby and it was a beautiful starry night. Small waves serenaded my campsite as they gently teased the rocky shore. Soon enough, the water made my clothes fall off, and I walked into its soothing coolness for a swim.

* From Buffy's scrapbook: Screenshot

This post has been edited by Acadian: Dec 17 2010, 10:25 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 17 2010, 03:53 PM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

I don't know why I thought you had already done the Mazoga quest on this site !!! Buffy the Bowgirl, Buffy the Vampire Slayer...now Buffy the Plumber? BWAAAAHAAA !!!

I WANT THAT CAMPSITE MOD !!!!

Great Chapter, Acadian !!!

(nit? Wouldn't Orc be capitalized?)

I love Buffy's internal dialogue over Nocturnal's issues with being robbed, lol. Very Miss Buffy !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 17 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #19

Ancient
Group Icon

I heaved a sigh and rolled up the map. "Fine."
There is that "F" word again!

at least she didn't jam a spell into my, um . . . repertoire
Nicely worded! laugh.gif

So to the shrine of Nocturnal then. Which may indeed lead Buffy to someone who may be able to help her with that orc situation... wink.gif

A spell from across the street had coaxed the tumblers protecting the Argonians' door open - so much more efficient than trying to break my fingernails with a lockpick.
This struck me as humorously ironic after Methredhel's own recent musings about unlocking spells! wink.gif

Love that last picture! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Dec 17 2010, 05:48 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Dec 17 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #20

Mouth
Group Icon

I love how Buffy acknowledges the fact that it was her decisions that led to some of their most painful misadventures, even while she questions Acadian’s logic in leading her where she wants to go.

Retrieve the Eye of Nocturnal, Child of Dawn. Return it to me, and I shall look favorably upon you."

It seems that all higher beings are able to recognize Buffy as a Child of Dawn. She wears the mantle of destiny so effortlessly that each reminder of it remains a surprise.

Well, at least she didn't jam a spell into my, um . . . repertoire like Namira and Sanguine had done.

Well put!

Wait, this happens so rarely that I need a moment to savor it . . . okay. A nit?
“Shouldn’t our next step would be to investigate that orc in the Great Hall?”

I don’t think you need ‘would’ here.

--------------------
+Quote Post

14 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:04 AM