4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steam and Steel
Rohirrim
post Dec 6 2013, 01:46 AM
Post #61

Mouth
Group Icon

"Are we an 'us' now? I didn't notice." Here I am with a homicidal priest, a madcap tinker, and a whore. Considering mother, this is probably exactly what she'd have wanted, isn't it? Going to have to visit her one of these days, I'm afraid.

Jonah looked back and saw Percival tinkering with the broken rifle. He fingered the steam cartridge, feeling for the hot line of pressurized water vapor. Half full. I may need a few more at this rate.

Jonah pushed these thoughts aside and pressed the pedals harder, catching up to the whore. "I suppose I and Percival can find work at a blacksmith or a railyard. You...do what you do, if you're so intent on staying with us. I don't mind anyone's company here, but it's your choice.

Jonah once again checked the cartridge. Half full...half full.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Dec 6 2013, 01:14 PM
Post #62

Master
Group Icon

"The next town over would be a good starting point, certainly," Zachary said, from where he was at the rear of their small, impromptu posse. He still has his shotgun at the ready and occasionally glanced back at the town to see if there was anyone following. "No doubt there shall be some of the Lord's work that needs doing there, as well."

He realised something, and added; "I don't believe I've introduced myself; Father Zachary Trimble, at your service."
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Dec 14 2013, 02:49 AM
Post #63

Ancient
Group Icon

Betty looked back at the man and nodded. "Betty Bridges. They call me Black Betty. Shouldn't be hard to figure out why." She squinted against the sun. "We should head to the town quickly. The earlier in the day we find a place to stay, the better. I suggest a motel rather than a hotel, and if y'all are feeling a bit...conservative," she pursed her lips and raised a brow, her nostrils flaring at the word. "I can get my own room, though it would be wise to save money."

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Dec 14 2013, 02:54 AM
Post #64

Mouth
Group Icon

"I see no problem with sharing a room." Jonah turned to the priest. "Any objections, Father Trimble?"

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Dec 18 2013, 01:53 AM
Post #65

Mouth
Group Icon

"No? Alright then."

Jonah increased his speed and they reached the town within a half-hour or so. It was dingy, but in the West dingy was the standard. There was a saloon, several houses, a general store, livery stable, and smithy/ostler's.

Jonah rode up to the saloon and hitched his burner, pulling the levers again as it sank to the ground. "Well then. What's the first order of business?"

The sun was setting over the town, and the new group of would-be heroes(?).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Dec 18 2013, 05:32 AM
Post #66

Councilor
Group Icon

Jackson OOC: do we do these header things still? whatever.

Jackson had left Dodge the day before, being warned that McDowell was likely on his heels. He'd spent the better part of the week thinking he'd given his hunter the slip, staying under the radar in Dodge. Now he sat in the saloon of a smaller, shanty town to the north. He was good friends with the bartender in Dodge, and that was who tipped him off, and was even nice enough to set him up with the digs he was enjoying now. This saloon had nowhere near the customers that Dodge typically provided, but it was better than getting lynched by McDowell and his bandits, plus it was a free room and a potential for tips. Jackson hadn't played in Dodge anyway; didn't want to get caught. Now, though, money was an issue, and he had no choice. He also had no idea that Dodge had been burned to the ground on his account.

He sat in a stool that he'd pulled into a corner by the side of the bar. There was a whiskey bottle by his feet, along with a tin can for tips, and his guitar on his lap. He lit a cigarette and took a puff before addressing his audience that seemed not to care. It never bothered him; Jackson played for himself anyway, and they usually came around after a song or two.

"This one ain't got words," he said to the uncaring patrons, "I'll get around to writin' 'em one day, but right now it's a damn good fingerpickin' tune."

And so he played. It was a more upbeat bluesy tune, with a sort of ragtime rhythm to it. By the end of it, some folks had started tapping their feet at least.

He looked up to see a group of travelers enter. They seemed worried, like they'd been caught off-guard recently. He didn't tap into any minds - he found that it often took a lot of spice out of life, and only did so when he deemed absolutely necessary. Either way, he figured they might be more inclined to tip; couldn't be worse than the rest of the crowd could they?

"Hey there, folks!" he greeted, "Got a particular tune you'd enjoy hearin'?"

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Dec 19 2013, 05:45 PM
Post #67

Master
Group Icon

OOC: Don't really do those any more, not unless we've got more than one character per poster

Zachary shook his head at Jonah's query, though he was unsure if the man saw the gesture. As much as he disapproved of the work Black Betty did, it was his place as priest to teach instead of judge; while the stick could sometimes be employed to prod someone back onto the path of righteousness, often a carrot was more effective.

They stabled their horses outside of a saloon, where they could get their bearings and some idea of what to do now they were suddenly thrown together. The building they entered was a grubby establishment, but all saloons were so that was no great issue. There was a musician plucking a guitar, and as they entered he called over to them for any requests.

"How about Listen to the Mockingbird?" Zachary asked. "That's a favourite of mine."

He glanced over at Jonah.

"Business? I personally wish to bring the Lord's retribution against those men who attacked Dodge. I'd be somewhat of a poor priest if I did not."
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Dec 19 2013, 09:31 PM
Post #68

Councilor
Group Icon

"I think o' that one as a fiddler's tune, but I can make due, I think," he said with a wink towards the newcomers. He took a pull of whiskey from the bottle and squirmed in his stool to get comfortable. He heard something about Dodge being attacked, but he didn't want to seem to interested.

"This one's about a dead lover," he continued as he plucked a couple strings to tune, "And the bird that sings o'er her grave...you mighta heard it once before."

I'm dreaming now of Hally, sweet Hally, sweet Hally,
I'm dreaming now of Hally...

The words came from his mouth, but he wasn't really thinking about them. Dodge was on his mind - what happened there? Had McDowell come a' calling? Would he come here next? His hope was to play the damned song well enough for one of these folks to speak with him a bit more. Maybe he could get the scoop from them. Maybe even a free drink and a coin in the can. A bluesman could only hope for these things.

Listen to the mockingbird, listen to the mockingbird,
The mockingbird still singing o'er her grave...

The song wasn't over yet; he'd let them get settled in, see if he could overhear something between songs, maybe even approach them if necessary.

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Dec 20 2013, 11:18 PM
Post #69

Councilor
Group Icon

Percival was still poking around with his rifle when they arrived in town. He'd been silent on the ride there, and was no more talkative now they'd arrived. He parked his burner next to Jonah's then followed the others into the saloon, feeling very much the hanger-on in the group, but not particularly bothered by it. He was used to it by now.

The guitarist in the corner gave the saloon a better atmosphere than the one in Dodge, though that could simply have been the lack of proximity to the slaughterhouse that made the difference. He didn't speak up until Jonah asked about the order of business, hot on the heels of the priest. "Well, I'd rather like to get my rifle repaired. I think I have all the spare parts I'll need, but it will likely take me a few hours." He almost managed to keep his nervousness at the priest proposed course of action from his voice.

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Dec 27 2013, 06:20 PM
Post #70

Ancient
Group Icon

"We'll need a room." Betty said, digging through her small handpurse. Oh, good, she still had all of her money she had taken with her. Fifty dollars would last them at least a week, and rooms looked like they came at a decent price here. Her eyes swept the room of the saloon and she sauntered up to the bar.

"Room, please." She said to the balding, sweaty bartender. He had been eyeing her sine they walked in the door, and that look meant one of two things to Betty; money or disgust. Sometimes the two came hand in hand, but as long as she had somewhere with a bed to sleep at night, she didn't usually care.

"We don't host orgies." He said, spitting on the floor near her feet, leaning over the bar to do so. "And we certainly don't serve no whores!"

She gave him a sweet smile and grabbed the front of his shirt and pulled him close.

"Listen here, sugar," she said in a low, syrupy-sweet voice. "Our town was just burnt to the ground. To. The. Ground. This bodunk town is the closest thing we have to safety and I'll be DAMNED if I miss my evening bath just because some hillbilly man who sees a pretty lady in makeup thinks she's a whore. Now. How much for a room?"

The man fumed, his face turning red. He yanked his shirt away. "Eight dollars! Per person! Per night!"

Betty reached into her purse and handed him eighty dollars with a smile.

"Here, sugar. Buy yourself somethin' pretty."

He threw the key at her, which she picked up with a pleasant expression and took a deep breath and looked at the group.

"Well, guess we better stay outta trouble, huh?"

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Jan 2 2014, 09:51 PM
Post #71

Mouth
Group Icon

Jonah cracked a rare smile at Betty. "I reckon so. That was some fancy stuff you pulled there; glad you're on my side, at least for now."

He took out his handkerchief and wiped down his sweaty brow. "I'm going to go have a wash, then I'm off to find a change of clothes, which I'll need if I keep travelling in this fashion."

"All in all, I think we were lucky to get out unscathed. Those men didn't mess around. I'll be seeing you around supper, Miss Betty, Percival, Father Trimble."

Jonah walked up to the room with a bucket of water for the washbasin. He settled into the lukewarm water and began cleaning off the day's grime. Well, Jonah Markwit, this is a change, eh? I think you might actually end up enjoying yourself.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Jan 30 2014, 12:03 AM
Post #72

Councilor
Group Icon

Percival was uneasy.

The priest unnerved him, he'd never met one he could get along with, and one with a shotgun seemed like a worse sort than the usuals. He didn't know anything about the whore save her profession, he barely knew Jonah, and he'd nearly been killed. And he didn't realise it, but he'd forgotten about the blood.

Sighing heavily, he slouched over to a table in the corner, and began digging through his pouches, pulling out rolls of tools and various spare parts that he carried. he spread a cloth stained with machine oil over the table, detached the mechanism from the rifle, and set to work, muttering softly to himself as he did.

He was feeling a little better in no time.

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:08 PM