4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fallout: New Vegas appreciation thread
Destri Melarg
post Feb 11 2013, 01:15 AM
Post #21

Mouth
Group Icon

I still haven't played NV yet! sad.gif Reading this thread makes me want to.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Feb 11 2013, 10:55 AM
Post #22

Master
Group Icon

What I liked more than anything in F:NV were the factions! Specifically, Caesar's Legion. Heeeeeelll yes! The comman Legionary wears football gear for protection, and they have rusty iron flatsticks they call 'machetes'. Their counterpparts in the NCR are soldiers who have REAL weapons and REAL armor.

And they're frikkin' terrified at the Legionaries.

Their culture is based around warfare and conquest, and their hierarchy is purely merit-based, so most of the guys upstairs actually earned it through fire, not by shady dealings or hereditary means. , look at the Centurion's armor. Bad. @ss.

Add what's much more cooler?

Its said that they took theirs from their fallen enemy. While their armor in-game is the same in regards to aesthetics, if you think about it, that means each and every Centurion's armor is different from his colleagues. Yaaaaah. Wrap your head around that one.

Plus, Lanius.

Simply Lanius.

And Joshua Graham.

Caesar's Legion was and is home to legendary bad@asses and that's the icing of the cake for me.

"Hail, Caesar! We who are about to die salute you!"

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Feb 11 2013, 01:37 PM
Post #23

Councilor
Group Icon

*Sighs and shakes head sadly*... biggrin.gif ...

I've killed every single Legionairre that I've found in the wild...The only reason I haven't flattened their main camp is that the raft that takes you there has glitched...

I simply detest the Legion...Which is why, when they reproduced the armour for the Skyrim Legions I was utterly disgusted...

Ere!! Eva, how does it feel to be a person 'o' influence?... laugh.gif ...

Mustard's writing NV again, I dug my copy out this morning...

Well done!!...

*Applauds*...
+Quote Post
Diamandis
post Feb 11 2013, 01:42 PM
Post #24

Finder
Group Icon

Ere!! Eva, how does it feel to be a person 'o' influence?... ...

Mustard's writing NV again, I dug my copy out this morning...

Not gunna lie, feels pretty good! Especially now I'm not the only Fallout story on the forum. I started reading Mustards story yesterday; it's so amazing! I'm trying not to comment on it again until I've caught up, otherwise i'll end up writing comment after comment haha

EDIT: Oh dear, my spelling was simply atrocious.

This post has been edited by Eva: Feb 11 2013, 02:10 PM

--------------------
Fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a vrey srtnage mnid, wchih si good bceasue I od ot :D
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Feb 11 2013, 01:57 PM
Post #25

Master
Group Icon

I'm kinda torn about the Legion; onehand they're a bunch of complete badasses with a whole bunch of fun missions (I had this for my evil playthrough character) but on the other they're a bunch of knobheads. I generally preferred Mr House, myself, though that's because I'm a complete sucker for anything resembling style.

Not gunna lie, feels pretty good! Especially now I'm not the only Fallout story on the forum. I started reasing Mustards story yesterday; it's so amazing! I'm trying not to comment on it again until I've cought up, otherwise i'll end up wrioting comment after comment haha

My ego is entirely amenable to this idea...

This post has been edited by Colonel Mustard: Feb 11 2013, 01:59 PM
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Feb 11 2013, 02:09 PM
Post #26

Master
Group Icon

You're more of a BoS person, aren't you, McB? biggrin.gif I like those bucketheads myself, particulary the Midwestern Chapters. But without outside help, they're basically xenophobic technopiles that'll destroy themselves if they continue being what they are. One thing I dislike about them is because of that. Veronica and Lyons had the right idea.

And Colonel, what makes you call them knobheads?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Diamandis
post Feb 11 2013, 02:12 PM
Post #27

Finder
Group Icon

Eva never chose a fanction; not yet anyway. She gave house the chip to upgrade the securitrons, but since then she's just been wondering around with the girls doing the odd mission until she finds her way. Her main mission in life was to kill her shooter... after that she's not too sure.

--------------------
Fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a vrey srtnage mnid, wchih si good bceasue I od ot :D
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Feb 11 2013, 02:18 PM
Post #28

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Feb 11 2013, 01:09 PM) *

The protofacism, the genocides, the inherently sexist society and the slavery. I find they generally make pretty good measures of a groups' knobheadishness and the Legion measure a long way on those.

This post has been edited by Colonel Mustard: Feb 11 2013, 02:21 PM
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Feb 11 2013, 02:22 PM
Post #29

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Feb 11 2013, 01:18 PM) *

The protofacism, the genocides, the inherently sexist society and the slavery. I find they generally make pretty good measures of a groups' knobheadishness and the Legion measure a long way.

*Stands up and applauds heartily*...My thoughts exactly...Just better put... biggrin.gif ...

You're more of a BoS person, aren't you, McB? biggrin.gif

Actually, I'm not particularly any faction...I'm idolized by the NCR, but that's only because they offered the most "Good" quests...But Arnaud (my char) strives only to do the right thing in all situations...

However, he did work with Veronica to sort out the BoS...And get the power armour training... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Feb 11 2013, 02:28 PM
Post #30

Master
Group Icon

Oh, that. I thought it was something regarding battle-tactics! Well, that's the undeniable dark stain that clings to them, I suppose. Unredeemably despicable in its evil.

Still like their armor though.

Edit to McB:

Far enough on regarding that, I guess.

This post has been edited by Uleni Athram: Feb 11 2013, 02:32 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Feb 11 2013, 02:35 PM
Post #31

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Feb 11 2013, 01:28 PM) *
Oh, that. I thought it was something regarding battle-tactics! Well, that's the undeniable dark stain that clings to them, I suppose. Unredeemably despicable in its evil.

Still like their armor though.

Edit to McB:

Far enough on regarding that, I guess.

All things considered, their battle tactics are pretty damn effective (though I'm unsure as to the long-term stability of their society).

The armour is pretty damn cool, though.
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Feb 11 2013, 02:45 PM
Post #32

Master
Group Icon

Aye, they're much more suited at taking rather tahn defending places. Lanius says so himself, and you'll find that the Legion has small territories at the Mojave. Much more smaller than the NCR's turf. As for the long-term, psssh. Even I'd have to agree that without Caesar, they'd degenerate back into the tribals they were.

*sniffs*

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 11 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #33

Forum Bard
Group Icon

The protofacism, the genocides, the inherently sexist society and the slavery. I find they generally make pretty good measures of a groups' knobheadishness and the Legion measure a long way on those.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Feb 11 2013, 09:49 PM
Post #34

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Feb 11 2013, 08:35 PM) *

The thing about the Legion, for me at least, is that while I don't like them very much at all as a group, I absolutely adore them as an idea; the whole idea of a militaristic pseudo-Romanic post-nuclear society made from conquered and repatriated tribes is a really cool one, and I love the vibe the Legion have going.

Edit: I love that I just said that the Legion had a 'vibe'. Like they're some kind of nightclub or something...

This post has been edited by Colonel Mustard: Feb 11 2013, 09:52 PM
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 11 2013, 09:49 PM
Post #35

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Feb 11 2013, 07:22 AM) *

...But Arnaud (my char) strives...

Totally read that as Arnauld. As is the terminator. laugh.gif

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 11 2013, 10:22 PM
Post #36

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Feb 11 2013, 08:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Kiln @ Feb 11 2013, 08:35 PM) *

The thing about the Legion, for me at least, is that while I don't like them very much at all as a group, I absolutely adore them as an idea; the whole idea of a militaristic pseudo-Romanic post-nuclear society made from conquered and repatriated tribes is a really cool one, and I love the vibe the Legion have going.

Edit: I love that I just said that the Legion had a 'vibe'. Like they're some kind of nightclub or something...

Yeah I feel similar. While I thought it was an interesting idea, their values and morals basically make siding with them akin to choosing "the dark side" in a star wars game.

There really is no gray area with the Legion. Everything can't possibly be seen as black and white without thought to the situation.

While the NCR definitely has problems and has it's troops stretched thin, at least they've got a long term plan in place and are trying to help people. The Legion seems to only want to subjugate without thought to what they'll do afterwards.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Feb 12 2013, 07:17 AM
Post #37

Councilor
Group Icon

The worst thing about ressurrecting an ancient character is that you can't remember what the hell you did last...

The save that I went over yesterday morning, had last been used July 2011!...

Now, did I finish Honest Hearts and go straight home?..Or, and this is more likely, did I do some Raider Farming first?...'Cause, see, the thing is, I know that I'm barely a day away from what I did last, but none of the sales people have any money... sad.gif ...Even the Vendotron outside of Gun Runners...

I know that this game now has all the DLC packs post Honest Hearts/Dead Money (Gunrunners Arsenal, Caravan pack, tribal, OWB, LL) and I'm sure there's at least one update in there...I'm worried It's gone and glitched my moneybags characters... verysad.gif ...

It could be that it's just too soon and I need to wait, but to wait, I need to go farm... biggrin.gif ...You see the dilemma?... laugh.gif ...

Are Lonesome Road and Old World Blues good then?...I heard some disturbing stuff about having yer brain take out (again) in Old World Blues, but I've always been intrigued by it...So I may do that soon-ish, I was just wondering what everyone else thought...

Another trouble is...Dragonborn...That's coming wednesday...So, I'm getting commitment issues... biggrin.gif ...Can't start back into the Mojave until DB and Heathfire are out of the way!!... panic.gif ...

And then there's this writing thing which I'll need me time for somewhere...I know, I keep trying...Sorry about that... tongue.gif ...

Ah, the joys of being an adult and all its attendant ballsishness... kvleft.gif ...

biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Feb 12 2013, 10:43 AM
Post #38

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Feb 12 2013, 06:17 AM) *
Are Lonesome Road and Old World Blues good then?...I heard some disturbing stuff about having yer brain take out (again) in Old World Blues, but I've always been intrigued by it...So I may do that soon-ish, I was just wondering what everyone else thought...

The central conceit of Old World Blues does involve your brain being nicked, but I can tell you that it's probably the most fun DLC out of all them; Lonesome Road is probably the best, even if it's incredibly bleak, but in terms of pure fun it's hard to beat Old World Blues.

Oh, Muggy... wub.gif
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Feb 12 2013, 06:43 PM
Post #39

Master
Group Icon

I hate to double-post, but I feel I ought to show this off; I am now officially one of those moddy types! How? Well, I downloaded the 'Special Weapons and Armour' mod off the New Vegas Nexus today (essentially a mod which sticks a cool suit of matt-black combat armour and a couple of submachine guns modelled off IRL MP5s in the Hidden Supply Cave). I'd also taken the Grunt perk for one of my character, a perk which comes with the Honest Hearts DLC, and gives a +25% damage bonus to 'military' weapons like assault rifles, service rifles, grenade launchers and that sort of thing. Seeing as the new 'naval submachine guns' I had added in would fit quite cosily, I decided to download the G.E.C.K program (essentially the Fallout construction set) and modified the Grunt perk to include the two new weapons. I'm feeling inordinately proud of myself because of that right now.

On a similar note to the other PC-based New Vegas players out there, what mods do you have on the go at the minute? Right now I've got Project Nevada (I can't really imagine playing NV without that nowadays), the Companion Sandbox Mode, Black Company Improved Perks, Bottle Water, one that gives ED-E the Light Step perk so its hover engines don't set of traps, Timescale adjuster which allows you to mess around with how long time passes and various weapon and armour addons.

Anyway, anybody got any other fun or interesting mods they use for NV?
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Feb 15 2013, 02:02 PM
Post #40

Councilor
Group Icon

Sounds cool!!...Wish I had a PC that would handle stuff like that...Oh, and the time... tongue.gif ...

Aaamywho, I've realised how much I agree with Kiln about the guns...

I will admit to having no idea about the DPS/Damage ratio thing...Can't work it out for love nor money...Surely the higher the damage?...But if it's a machine gun is the high DPS/low Damage better?...And as for the 4X12.5 (just an example, you know what I mean) stuff?... blink.gif ...No idea...

However, the pull gun/shooting thing is just sooo satisfying...

Love me Ranger Sequoia...But I've found some new ones in the packs I bought that I may need to investigate...

Ka-blammo!!...(Technical term laugh.gif )...
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:33 PM