5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The adventures of Arthago chapter III, A Province united
Agent Griff
post Apr 25 2006, 04:09 PM
Post #1

Knower
Group Icon

So let's kick this chapter off shall we? A small bit of info at what's to come further in the series: At the end of this chapter, Arthago will move to a whole new province and I think many of you already know which province it is. Anyway, let's enjoy Hammerfell while it lasts shall we?

~~~
After the defeat of Lord Vhosek's rebellion, things went back to normal in all of Hammerfell. Some local kings and rulers however, seeing that Lord Vhosek managed to battle the King and even defeat him, albeit for a short time, started a fight against King Lhotun's rule as well. Since I was one of the highest ranking knights in Sentinel, with the exception of Marshal Daron and a few other senior knights of the order, I was often sent to these small kingdoms to stop the rebellions. The first kingdom to revolt, a few years after Vhosek's uprising, was the small kingdom of Santaki which was close to the Dragontail mountains. I was sent there, together with a few other knights below my rank, to stop the rebellion.

We arrived there after a few days ride. The capital of the small kingdom was the town with the same name, Santaki. The kingdom, albeit small, had its own knightly order, the order of the Hawk. That meant that the Kingdom had some importance in the politics of Hammerfell but it also meant that other smaller kingdoms may gather around Santaki and fight against Sentinel. I never really understood why Redguards or men in general fight eachother if there's no other foe to fight against. Maybe to heighten their skills? No, the answer was quite simple really. For Power. Once a man got ahold of better, he never could really let go of it. The more power you have the more power you crave. King Lhotun obviously had too much power for the regional kingdoms to bear, so they rebelled against him. Quite simple if you look at it from a political point of view.

The capital was a rather big town. It was quite smaller than Sentinel though but bigger than any other town I had seen before. The seal of the order that was etched on my cuirass was concealed by a cloak and so were the seals of the knights under my command. I didn't want someone to see that knights from Sentinel had arrived to settle affairs with Santaki. The palace was not a big or tall building, it was merely three storeys high. I could see an open balcony leading to the throne room at the last floor. There were also knights of the Hawk standing guard near the palace. Even though they came from an issolated kingdom such as Santaki those knights looked fierce.

Once we reached the gate of the palace, a knight stopped us to ask us of our business with their king. I didn't exactly think of an excuse on the way so I had to improvise.
"We come from Sentinel to bring word on King Lhotun's movements." I said in an official tone.

"Sentinel eh? Why do you have to bring the news to the King personally? I thought that sir Greklith was in charge of intelligence." the knight said with a suspicious voice. He was also constantly looking at my knights who were behind me.

"Our duties are to transmit this information to his Majesty personally." I said, trying to keep the lie going. He seemed to believe me.

"Very well then. If the King specificaly required that you meet him I won't interfere. Carry on!" the guard said as he opened the gate. How polite of him! I'm sure that he will be pounding his head after I slay his treacherous king.

A few minutes later we were standing in front of the king of Santaki. He was a man close to old age with a small beard and long, flowing, hair. He looked at me and my men with his brown eyes and asked what my business was in Santaki. He seemed confused and I felt sorry to slay him because he looked like an innocent man.

"What is your business in Santaki, travellers?" the king asked.

"We come from Sentinel with news and counsel." I said, with a soft tone that calmed him down a little.

"Counsel? What counsel? I think I can handle my own kingdom, despite my advancing age." the king said with a hostile voice. Alright so he didn't like advice. It wasn't as if he had much choice when it came to the advice I was about to give him.

"King Lhotun of Sentinel advises you to lay down your outrageous claims and slanders against him. He also advises you that uprisings are very dangerous for men of advanced age such as your fine self." I said in a cold voice.

"Men as myself? King Lhotun now mocks me! I will not lay down my just claims! Hammerfell must be free!" the old king shouted.

"The king of Ephesus had the same opinion regarding the King's counsel. He dissapeared shortly after he made his opinions public and his cousin now peacefuly rules the kingdom. I would not want the same happening to yourself." I said, trying to scare the old king.

"I know why you're here. Lhotun sent his assassins after me. He is a coward not to face me in just battle!" the old king shouted.

"Neither I nor his Majesty see a brave, young King fighting against an old man as a just battle. I think you will agree with our opinions." I said with a sarcastic tone. This man was really pushing my indulgence to the very limit.

"Your king is a filthy coward! And so are his men!" the old man shouted.

Before the old king could say another word he fell down on the floor. His throat was pierced by a small dart. Blood started flowing shortly until it reached our feet. Our job was done! Slaying old men with darts really wasn't my style but at least it payed well, well enough to manage the estate that Lord Vhosek left me. Before the guards could react we were already outside the palace and into the crowded streets of the city.

Once we reached the gatehouse, one of the knights under my command entered as the others, myself included, exited the city. Shortly after, the guard inside the gathehouse fell out of a small window. The knight inside had done his job well. He was more lightly armoured than the rest of us and he was adept in sneaking around and stabbing people when they weren't looking. He then fired a flaming arrow into the sky. The army waiting for us outside soon stormed the town with the gates open. The town guards and even the knights of the Hawk surrendered once they saw what was pouring through their open gates. The King would be pleased to hear of my actions, conquering a town without any loses and slaying a king without anyone noticing. Being an assassin though, didn't quite fit me. I lusted for the thrill of battle again. I had not fought anyone since Vhosek's rebellion. I had to return to Sentinel to report my deeds and receive my rewards anyway. I wonder what Marshal Daron has to say? I had not spoken with him since the days of the rebellion and I was anxious to speak with him again.

~~~
That's it for the start of the chapter! I've followed advice and have used spaces between dialogue lines, tell me if you like it how it is now or if you liked it more the way it was before.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tellie
post Apr 25 2006, 04:24 PM
Post #2

Mouth
Group Icon

M_mm....I liked it.

And interestign start, and I cant wait for more...please give us more when you see fit...(that means NOW...tongue.gif)

Thanks for starting on another chapter.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Apr 25 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #3

Knower
Group Icon

I can tell you that Arathor of Athay will appear in this chapter too since you seemed to like the little guy. He was the Bosmer pirate from captain Thassad's ship for those who can't remember. I hope you'll continue to like the following updates.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Apr 25 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #4

Master
Group Icon

It's a good start. So Arthago doesn't quite like his current job, well I can't blame him. I would hate this myself. But then, I am a big coward.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
minque
post Apr 25 2006, 08:32 PM
Post #5

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Very good Griffie! I really like you to write like that with more space between dialogue lines! Makes it much easier to read for an old Wise Woman like me!

Very good beginning of chapter 3!

goodjob.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
DarkHunter
post Apr 26 2006, 04:11 PM
Post #6

Mouth
Group Icon

Very Interesting! goodjob.gif I expect you to write somemore (or else an invasion of evillol.sml.gif will begin) tongue.gif Lol, good writing! smile.gif

--------------------
A skull, some blood, and a flying mace. Not much to work with. ~Imperial Legion Captian.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Apr 26 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #7

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Great work here Griff, this part was well written and easier to read with more spacing. biggrin.gif

The way the old man was dealt with was rather harsh and also amusing at the same time. Very interesting so keep it up Griff.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Apr 29 2006, 10:16 AM
Post #8

Knower
Group Icon

Sorry for not writing in some time. School has begun anew so I will be busy in the future. Here's the update anyway!

~~~
After a few days of travel, the walls of Sentinel rose before me like mountains out of the desert. After I entered the city the first thing I had in mind was to pay Marshal Daron a visit. We had not spoken in a long time. His house was, as ever, in its state of disrepair and the Marshal didn't seem to care about it much. I knocked on his door.

"Who goes there?" a rough voice asked through the door.

"Arthago of Vulnim Gate." I said in an official tone. The door soon opened to reveal the Marshal. His beard was unshaven and he seemed tired.

"Ah, Arthago! It's a pleasure to see you again. I haven't seen you since the Rebellion. By the gods, I thought you died. Come in!" Marshal Daron said as his face lightened up.

"So how goes it Marshal?" I asked after I entered his house. I sat down on a wooden chair near his table. He did the same.

"Things have been going as they always have been. I have some good news and some bad news for you though. Tomorrow is your 24th birthday is it not?" Marshal Daron asked. I wonder what bad news he had in mind?

"Yes, as a matter of fact, it is tomorrow. What's the news then?" I asked.

"I have talked with Grandmaster K'avar and you will be advanced to the rank of Marshal in the order, as a gift for your birthday." the Marshal said.

"That is excellent news Marshal! But, wasn't the order allowed to have just one Marshal? How can there be two?" I asked in a confused voice. Marshal Daron started looking out the window.

"All my life I have served this fine Kingdom. I have served King Camaron, Queen Akorithi and their son, King Lhotun. I have spilt blood for my Kingdom and my King. I think I have had enough of this life. It is time for others to take my place. You have been my greatest pupil Arthago. I remember the day you first came to me, a young man with an uncertain future. You have grown up. It is now time for you to take my place as Marshal of the Order. I shall honourably retire from the affairs of the Order." Marshal Daron said, with a slight tear in his eye.

"And what will you do for a living?" I asked with a slight tear as well.

"I have gathered enough money from my wages to create a small establishment. I don't know a great many things except taking the lives of other people so I'm not sure what to do exactly." Marshal Daron said. He was unsure of his future and it was easy to see.

"A butcher's shop perhaps? It's not that hard to hack into the flesh of beasts and alot of people go to butcher shops to buy their food. If you wish I will help you in this business Marshal because I don't wish that veterans like you have nothing to do." I said, trying to help his decision.

"Yes, a butcher's shop will do. I know a few veterans that have also retired from duty and are unsure what to do with their money. I will talk to them and perhaps we will create an association of some sort." the Marshal said with a slight smile.

"You should give cheaper food to veterans like yourselves. That should get more people to come to the store and buy food. Maybe give free food once a month? Who knows? There are alot of ways in which to make your business prosper." I said, trying to give the Marshal advise on what to do.

"Yes that is a great idea, give cheaper food to veterans. Maybe the store will be known as the veteran's store? Why didn't you become a trader Arthago? You seem to have experience in the matter." Marshal Daron said.

"I thought the life of a soldier to be more rewarding than the life of a trader. Not to mention that the life of a trader is dull beyond means of understanding. I have had some friends in the past and they were traders. We would meet at taverns and they would go on about their adventurous trade deals and how they sold all their stock and things like that. Hell, I was only friends with them because they gave out free drinks when they got drunk. I think you understand why I didn't want to become a trader Marshal." I said, explaining my notion of being a trader to the Marshal.

"Yes I understand Arthago. Hmm, seems someone is knocking at the door, I wonder who it might be? I'll go answer it, you make yourself at home. I have alot of questions to ask you, my old aprentice." Marshal Daron said while he got up to answer the door.

"Oh, do I have some stories to tell you! I'll tell you of the time when I went with the King to Daggerfall on a pirate ship!" I said with enthusiasm in my voice.

"It sounds exciting, just let me..." the Marshal stopped talking mid-sentence. I rose up to see what had happened.

I was shocked to see the Marshal fall down with 2 arrows stuck in his stomach. I quickly grabbed my scimitar and prepared to battle whoevever had attacked the Marshal. I had left my armour at my estate since I had doubts of anyone attacking me in the street. I was wrong. A man wearing a black hood came inside to inspect the Marshal. From what I saw he was still breathing and the assassin hadn't seen me. I threw my scimitar at the assassin. It pierced his chest and he fell down. I quickly ran to the body of the assassin to take my scimitar back. I saw one more assassin outside. He ran once he saw me and I raced after him once I grabbed my sword.

The assassin ran with a speed I had never encountered before. After he saw that I could keep up with him he made a huge leap towards the roof of a small house. We had entered one of Sentinel's many little side-streets which featured rows of small houses so the assassin could easily escape. I barged inside one of the small houses and ran to the roof. I saw the assassin easily since he was wearing some black garments and a tail came out of his pants. He was a Khajiit, one of the cat-men from the South. I ran after him as fast as I could but he seamlessly jumped over buildings. In desperation I threw my scimitar towards him when I got closer. It managed to hit him in one of his legs and he fell down. Once I got to him I summarily grabbed his throat.

"Who in Oblivion sent you?" I shouted at the assassin.

"Not Redguard's business! Slay me now so I don't suffer the humiliation!" the Khajiit said. If he wanted to die I would fulfill his wish but he wasn't going to get away easily. I grabbed my scimitar and cut off his tail. The Khajiit screamed in pain.

"Who sent you filth?" I asked once again.

"King Sosscan of Bergama. Please, slay me!" the Khajiit said. I had what I needed so I drived my scimitar through the Khajiit's throat. Blood started gushing everywhere and I threw the Khajiit over the roof.

I made my way back to Marshal Daron quickly...

~~~
That's it for this cliffhanger ending! If you think Arthago is becoming too sadistic please notify me. He killed the Khajiit because of the Marshal so I hope you can understand his rage.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Apr 29 2006, 10:43 AM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

Oh, now I can understand his rage. Rage is what seems to lift quite a few fan fic characters to a new level in the form of power. Nice update.

--------------------
+Quote Post
minque
post Apr 30 2006, 09:30 PM
Post #10

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Hmmm Cat-killer huh? Anyway very good description o the fight, and I do understand why he had to take the Khajiiti´s life, but .....see..I just looove kitties!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post May 5 2006, 05:52 PM
Post #11

Knower
Group Icon

Sorry for letting you wait this long but school has been killing me. Anyway, here's the update!

~~~
I raced back to Marshal Daron's house. He may have died while I was chasing the Khajiit assassin. I had to hurry! I felt something I had never felt before, I had been continuously running for almost 10 minutes and I didn't feel tired at all. I actually felt my heart beat faster and I felt much stronger. Should I even mention the lack of pain of fatigue that I experienced? Something had obviously happened inside my body but I didn't quite know why. It was as if the fact that I knew that I was running for Marshal Daron's life made me faster and stronger. Soon enough I reached his house. I found him standing on a chair close to the window.

"Marshal! Are you alright?" I franticly asked.

"A few little darts won't kill me. I'm not that old yet. Take me to a healer..." Marshal Daron said as he fell off the chair. He was unconscious. I quickly mounted him on my shoulder and took him outside.

As soon as I was outside I started running frantricly once again. However, after a few moments I could feel the power to carry on drain out of me. After I lost the power to carry the Marshal I could feel all the acumulated fatigue affect my body and my will. I fell down suddenly and dropped the Marshal to the ground. I didn't have the power to run anymore, I was extremely tired. I needed to rest immediately but the unconscious Marshal laying in the dust next to me was like a message urging me to fight on. I screamed for help. A tall Nord with blonde hair suddenly appeared and took the Marshal on his back. He also helped me up.

"What happened here Redguard?" the Nord asked.

"We were attacked, he needs a healer. Right now. Leave me here, I'll find you later. Here, take these drakes, you'll need them." I said as I pulled out a small bag out of my pocket. I was planning to buy some fine bottles of wine later on but they could wait. The money covered all the expenses a healer would require.

"No, your gratitude and respect is enough. I shall take the elder to safety. Take care of yourself Redguard, we shall meet again." the Nord said as he walked off. There weren't many people like him around so I welcomed the assistance.

I made my way to my home, given to me by Lord Vhosek. It was a big house, fit for a real noble. It was just Lord Vhosek's Sentinel residence however. He had much more houses and estates all over Hammerfell, including a summer palace on the southern coast, close to the old city of Hegathe. The house came with a few servants but I quickly dismissed them since I didn't need the added care to pay their sallaries as well. I made my way to my bedroom upstairs to rest. After a well-deserved sleep I woke up to a knocking on my door. I quickly answered only to find the Nord that helped me with Marshal Daron earlier.

"Quite a house you have Redguard. May I come in?" the Nord politely asked in his own way.

"Sure you can. Since you've been honouring me with the term "Redguard" all this time you can call me Arthago." I said as I showed the Nord in.

"Your hospitality is appreciated Arthago. My name is Joram." the Nord said as he stepped in.

"So can I serve you with anything? I have water, flin, some ale and I even think I've got some Cyrodiilic brandy around here somewhere." I said.

"Some flin would be enough." the Nord said as he took off his funny hat. It was a round cap covered with leather with some hanging fur strapped to the side of it. It made him look quite funny despite his size.

"So, how's Marshal Daron?" I asked as I was pouring some flin into a small goblet.

"The elder? He's alright, he'll get back on his feet soon. Those were some pretty severe wounds he had. I, to be honest, have never seen anyone survive 3 barbed hunting darts with poison on them too so the elder is quite a sturdy man for his age." Joram said.

"Hunting darts?" I asked in a surprised voice.

"Yes. Poisoned hunting darts. They're made to kill large animals from a small distance. The poison acts pretty fast and there's not much time to react. The elder must have had some potion that cures poisons around because the poison ussualy starts taking its toll after a few moments. He was quite lucky." Joram said with unussual calm in his voice.

"And, where is he now? By the way, here's your flin, I hope it's not too much." I said as I handed Joram his drink.

"I left him at my inn room, at the "Thirsty Bandit" inn. Hmm, this flin is very good. I didn't know you Redguards were so talented at making brews. Nothing can beat mead from the old country though." Joram said as he sipped through his flin.

"I've never heard of the "Thirsty Bandit" inn. Where exactly is it?" I asked as I cut the Nord short through his praise of Nord mead.

"At the harbour, close to the docks where the ships unload. There are alot of friendly people there, and women that share their beds for money. Quite strange if you ask me, I've never tried. The inn however is quite nice, there's some fine ale to be had there, almost as good as the Nordic version." Joram said as he made some directions in the air with his hands. As if I didn't know where the harbour was.

"Great, I hope he's comfortable there." I said as I poured myself some flin.

"Oh, I'm sure he is. I bought him one of those women to keep him company. He seemed very happy when he saw her. I couldn't stay more however because I had to make my way to you." Joram calmly said.

"You left him with some cheap woman from the docks? He's an old man! Something might happen to him! She might steal all of your things and anything the Marshal is carrying on him! We have to get there now!" I shouted as I got up and made my way to the door.

"If you say so. I didn't notice any problem though." Joram said as he laid his head down.

"Take your hat. Let's go!" I said as I threw him his furry hat.

After running and a little walking we finally reached the inn. When he went upstairs to find the room some woman emerged from inside. She was walking heavily and appeared drunk. She looked at Joram and muttered something.

"Your friend...like bull..." the woman said as she slowly made her way down the stairs.

"Like bull? what did you do to him?" I asked in an angry voice.

"Nothing!" Joram said as he opened the door.

We saw Marshal Daron laying on the bead and smoking some skooma through a pipe. He seemed pleased with himself and quite relaxed. It was the first time I saw him like that. It was also the first time I saw him taking skooma. There were quite an ammount of surprising things about the Marshal that I was about to find out.

"It was pure bliss Jory! I had the time of my life! I didn't even have to pay! Oh, no. What's he doing here? I was having fun and you bring this sad guy here." Marshal Daron said in a strange voice.

"Why are you taking skooma Marshal? It's a horrible thing! And besides, you're not some furry animal from the south!" I shouted.

"Come on Arthago! I think I know what I'm doing and I also know how to take care of myself. I don't need some nanny!" Marshal Daron shouted as if he was some little child.

"Can't you see yourself Marshal? You're acting like some little child! What about your status amongst the knights of Sentinel?" I said in an annoyed voice.

"Hush boy! We don't want anyone to hear don't we? Ellen and I were having a great time and you pop up. We were doing..."

"I don't think I want to know what you were doing with that cheap woman before I arrived. Now, get dressed and prepare to leave. I see you're in better shape than Joram made you out to be. Come on!" I said as I threw him his shirt.

"I'm no child! You can't boss me around boy!" he said as he threw his shirt towards me. He was really getting annoying.

"Get your damn shirt on before I impale it on you old man!" I shouted as anger accumulated in me. I grasped my scimitar and was ready to lop that drunkard's head off.

"Are you threatening me boy? I made you and I'll kill you! No one else!" he shouted. I got my witts about and understood the situation. He wasn't himself. He was under the effect of skooma and that made him change.

"Just put the shirt on. Let's get out of here." I said as I threw back the shirt.

"Why? Oh, why must you be such a bore? Can't I enjoy myself just once? Can't you live your life outside the Order for once Arthago? Can't you actually live your life like any man of your age? Live the moment! I don't have much time left and I want to make the most out of it. Can't you leave me be?" he asked. Now those words actually hurt my feelings. He really did have a point however. All my life I had fought and spilled blood for the order. I didn't know anything else. I had to live out my life! I wouldn't be young forever. There would come a time when I would have to make a choice what to do with my life. Marshal Daron was right. I really was a bore.

"I can't believe you just said that. Be it as you wish. Die of the skooma! You know you deserve it, you demon of a man." I said as I barged out the door.

I made my way straight for the city gates...

~~~
That's it for this rather groundbreaking update. I wanted to give you something you hadn't experienced in some time. I hope you liked it and I hope I wasn't to over the top.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post May 5 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #12

Master
Group Icon

One huge plot twist and nicely made. I've told Caius a thousand times. The Skooma messes with you like not even an army of Daedra can. If it wasn't for the package, I would think that he imagined himself to be a Blade thanks to the Skooma.

Hehe, I liked your update. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Taillus
post May 6 2006, 04:30 PM
Post #13

Knower
Group Icon

Now that was amazing! Character development is far more interesting then the most epic of battles. When a character makes an enlightened discovery it means that the writer is continually thinking, and wants us to understand the character more. I loved it! Great job as always friend.

--------------------
“Worry not, young Breton. This will be over very quickly but I wish I could say that it would be painless. You will suffer greatly before you join the countless other souls that fuel my power.” - Taillus
+Quote Post
minque
post May 6 2006, 09:10 PM
Post #14

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Really very good Griffie! As Taillus said charachter development is just so interesting and I actually prefer it to fighting, even though a good description of a fight could be great as well.

This was however really very good!

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post May 7 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #15

Knower
Group Icon

I'm glad you all liked this chapter and I'm glad you all liked character development. Well, for your knowledge, the next updates are gonna be full of it. Enjoy!

~~~
I was extremely angry, like I had never been before in my whole life. I felt insulted and ashamed by what the Marshal had said of me. Skooma or no skooma, he did a horrible thing by his own will. Skooma doesn't take you that far as to insult your own friends, or does it? Well, I never took skooma in my whole life. Too degrading for me you see. Still, the only thing I had on my mind in that moment was to chop something apart to vent out the anger. I tried to exit the city before doing this though, I didn't want to hurt anyone. As I quickly made my way across the streets, a Dark Elf bumped into me.

"Watch where you're going, fetcher." the Dark Elf hissed.

"What did you just call me?" I asked as I grasped the hilt of scimitar.

"Fetcher. Leave me alone now you scrib-sucker." the Dark Elf said as he turned around. I don't even know what scrib-sucker means but that was the last straw. He was asking for it.

"Turn around and beg forgivness scum!" I shouted at the Dark Elf.

"To you? Out of my sights, you son of a Hammerfellian..." he couldn't complete his sentence. My scimitar stuck in his neck stopped him mid-sentence.

I quickly sheathed my scimitar and ran to the city gates. Damn! What I loathed just happened. All thanks to the Marshal. On the cover of the setting sun I exited the city. I was now a murderer. Hopefully, no one had seen me do it but hope was a resource that couldn't be relied upon. Once I was out of the city, I didn't quite know where to go. To the sea to drown myself? Perhaps to the Alik'r to starve to death? Or, home? Home, my home. Yes, I would go to Vulnim Gate and revisit the place where I was born. The journey would also help me meditate on what I had done. Yes, to Vulnim Gate then!

Before that though, I needed a way of transportation. Walking on foot wasn't exactly the best way to go. I looked around but there was nothing to be seen. Perhaps I could find something as I walked towards Vulnim? I tried just that. A few days later I discovered that relying on chance wasn't the best way to go. I soon found myself laying on the ground and thinking of what I had done. It was folly to travel so great a distance on foot through that harsh a climate. I desperately needed water and food. I practically set off into the desert with nothing but my scimitar and the clothes on my back. As time passed, I found myself drifting through a state of conciousness and a state of sleep. The latter soon took complete hold of me as the cold desert night made me want to sleep. I slowly felt my lower limbs numbing completely under the cold. I soon felt completely asleep, a slumber of death and cold. At least sleep would ease the latter.

Strangely, I had a dream. I was in front of a ruined city and the sky was blood-red. Behind me were a few soldiers, bearing the head of a black wolf on their tunics. In front of me was a strange gate made of black marble. The gate was a blood-red portal, but to what? I shouted at the soldier but they stood still. I tried walking away but as soon as I passed the soldier I hit some kind of barrier that sent m straight back to where I found myself in the first place. Since there was no other place to go, I decided to enter the portal. As soon as I entered I could feel the light of day opening my eyes. Before I could wake up, a horned figure appeared in front of me. He started whispering some words which I could hear with an eerie clearness:

"You cannot die here manling. Fate has another destiny in store for you. Wake up. Wake up and see to your destiny. Do not let others cloud you for you will be greater than them. Greater than all! Wake up!"

As soon as the voice spoke its last word I woke up on a bedroll. I was in a tent and the light of day entered the tent through a hole in the canvass. Someone soon came in. He was a Redguard but he was old. He was also dressed in tattered white robes, the sign that he was a dune-dweller.

"Ah, the outsider has awakened. What is your name outsider?" the old man asked.

"Arthago. Where am I?" I asked in a confused voice.

"You are at our camp. Two hunters found you unconcious in the desert as they were returning from their hunt. You were quite lucky outsider. Come, I have prepared you a meal." the old man said as he left the tent.

"Wait! Who are you?" I asked as I got up.

"I am Khalev, elder of the clan. Come, get on your feet and walk. I assure you that the meal is very good." Khalev said as he bobbed his head back into the tent.

I did as he said and got up. Outside my tent were another 20 or so tents, some bigger than the others. For some reason all the people were outside and gathered around a ring of some sort. At the middle of the ring, two people were fighting. Khalev showed me to my meal. It was on a large table that had 12 chairs to each side of it. I sat down and looked at my meal. It was some sort of meat drenched in a red sauce. I was kind of squeamish.

"Eat it. It's very good." Khalev said as he encouraged me.

"Um, I will but why are those two men fighting eachother?" I inquired.

"You have arrived during the Festival of Blades. Our people are celebrating the victory of the first Redguards against the giant goblins, when our people first came on these shores. It is a fine festival and everyone enjoys it. The two men that are fighting are the two hunters that rescued you, they are re-enacting Frandar Hunding's first battle against one of the savage goblins. The one wearing the tunic is Frandar Hunding and the one covered in sand and wielding a club is the goblin." Khalev said as he explained the festival.

"It sounds very interesting. What did you say this meal was made off?" I asked, changing the subject to the food.

"The meat is Wharbuck beef and the red sauce around it is boiled Wharbuck blood. It's very good and it is also very refreshing." Khalev said.

"Um, no thanks, I'm not very hungry. Maybe some other time. Let's go watch the festival shall we? I'm keen on seeing who wins." I suggested, changing the topic once more.

"Be it as you wish. You can even participate in the festival if you wish." Khalev suggested as we walked to the sand ring.

"Me? But I'm not of your tribe." I said.

"You don't have to be. You can participate in the bigger re-enactment that takes place later this day. The men of the tribe will re-enact the first great battle against the goblins. If you are good with the blade you can come." Khalev said.

"The blade as in the real blade? Aren't these thing done with wooden swords only? Can't people get hurt while fighting with real blades?" I asked in a fearful voice.

"That is another of the festival's purposes, to demonstrate one's skill with the blade. If you aren't good enough, just watch with the women and children. If you think yourself a skilled warrior, then participate. This festival is as much a demonstration of skill as it is a festival that commemorates the victory against the goblins." Khalev said in a serious tone.

"I understand. Perhaps I will participate later this day in the bigger re-enactment." I said in an understanding tone.

"There are smaller re-enactments leading up to the bigger one so if you'd like to see how the battles are like you can participate in these smaller battles. You'd have to be a goblin though, only members of the tribe can participate as Redguards." Khalev said.

"I will gladly be a goblin, it's not a problem. So, when will these smaller battles you speak off start?" I asked in a curious voice.

"Hmm, it seems this one has ended. You can go in there right now." Khalev said as he looked on to the sand arena.

"Right now? Isn't it a little too soon?" I asked.

"If you have skill it's never too soon. Get some sand on you and get in there." Khalev said as he made a sign towards the sand with his hands.

"Alright, just let me get my scimitar." I said as I made my way to the tent in which I woke up.

"THE OUTSIDER IS PARTICIPATING!!!" Khalev shouted as I found my sword.

I then made my way to the sand arena, ready to fight as a goblin against one of the dune-dwellers. I had heard that these men were masters of the blade. I was ready to put this knowledge to the test...

~~~
That's it for this update that strangely derived into a tribal adventure. I think you know this already but I've said that I write as I think so this update really took a strange turn. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post May 7 2006, 10:28 AM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

Heh, when that old guy first showed up, I thought Arthago had suddenly arrived on Arrakis, also known as Dune with a Fremen.
Anyway, an interesting update. I wonder what those Redguards will think when the goblin wins?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post May 7 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #17

Knower
Group Icon

Yeah, it was kinda strange. Anyway, I think you already know where the part with the blood-red sky and the crumbling city comes from. It was just a taste of things to come. And how did you guess that the goblin was going to win? I'll make sure to make the battle a good one, like the one between King Lhotun and Lord Vhosek.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post May 8 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

You asked and you shall receive.
About the goblin part, well I just have complete confidence in Arthago. Despite his anger problems, he is a decent guy and good with a sword.

NOW GET BACK TO WORK, YOU LAZY BUM! (Don't worry, I'm just kidding. smile.gif But an update would surely be nice.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post May 9 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #19

Forum Bard
Group Icon

That last bit was rather different from what I expected but then again I wasn't sure what to expect.

Very well done, very interesting chapter so far so go ahead and get to the fight will ya? laugh.gif

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post May 9 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #20

Knower
Group Icon

Thanks for the comments guys. School really takes its toll on you after a while and I'm ussualy off homework at 9:30 pm and I consider that pretty late to write. Anyway, for your reading pleasure, here's the update!

~~~
As soon as I was all smeared in sand I entered the arena. All the people of the tribe formed a circle around me and my oponent. I wonder what these people would do to me if I lost? I wasn't going to wait and see though, I was going to win. I wasn't a senior knight of Sentinel for nothings was I? I decided to see the fighting style of my enemy before properly engaging in combat, these dune-dwellers had a funny style of combat. I could see it when the two hunters fought before. A very acrobatic style of fighting in little to no armour at all.

A man who looked like the leader of the tribe gave the signal that the battle could begin. My oponent approached me with slow steps. He was obviously sizing me up like some animal. I let him make the first move and stepped back slowly. It was as a signal to him that I was hesitating. He took the bait and attacked me with all he had. Pretty flamboyant way of fighting if you ask me. See the enemy's weakness, then strike it with all you have. Lord Bridwell fought like that. Lord Bridwell is dead. Pretty good sign of how effective that strategy is isn't it?

Strategies and tactics aside, my oponent lunged at me with his sword aiming for my chest. I quickly dodged by spinning to the side. While I spinned, sand flew off me and hit my oponent in his eyes. I decided to be honourable and let him recouver before continuing the fight. He got angered and threw some sand at me with his feet. Some of it hit me in the eyes and I staggered to get it off. He didn't want to fight fair eh? Well neither did I then!

I stepped towards him and tried the old tactic of the bluff hit to the right and the real hit to the left. My oponent was very skilled when it came to these tactics. He parried my feinted strike when it approached him then quickly changed his stance to parry my second blow. After he parried my second blow, he pushed my blade back to me then advanced to attack me. He came at me with a series of powerful slashes and overhead strikes. I parried and dodged all of them as I ran back. He ran after me, swinging his sword like a mad-man all the time. After he started showing signs of being tired, I deflected one of his blows then pushed into him with my shoulder. He staggered from the impact but I decided to hold my ground and rest from the tiring run. No point keeping on the attack if I myself got tired in the process.

My oponent quickly recovered and stopped for a few moments. It seemed he started thinking for a while.

"I am Frandar Hunding and I shall slay you goblin!" he shouted as he came at me once again. It seemed he really took this stuff seriously.

He came at me with a diagonal slash aiming for the neck but I quickly deflected his blade to the side. He quickly attacked me with another low slash to the feet. I decided to play it acrobatic since I didn't have any armour so I jumped and avoided his blow. He seemed pretty bewildered when that happened.

He soon snapped out of it then attacked me with an overhead strike. I blocked his blade right above my head but he then surprised me. He jumped in the air, almost doing a backflip, and kicked me in the face with his leg. As soon as he fell down, he quickly got up again yet, to his surprise, he had dropped his sword while doing that move. It was close to him so he knelt to grab it. I hit the blade of his sword with all my force and managed to break it. He, however, grabbed it. I laughed. He then came close to me, about the distance of his sword's broken blade. He raised the remains of his sword, the shaft and the hilt, then pointed it towards my neck. I better grasped the hilt of my scimitar, not knowing what the dune-dweller would do next.

I was completely surprised when out of the broken hilt of his sword, a surreal blade came out and just about reached my neck. It was glowing wildly like it was a pure enchantment.

"What summoned blade is this?" I asked, bewildered, as I raised my hands and dropped my scimitar.

"It is no summoned blade outsider, we do not use your trickeries. It is the Shehai, the blade that only the purest can have the will to summon. It is of higher essence than any of your blades." the dune-dweller said as he kept the blade to my neck.

"Enough Akbar! You have proven the outsider your skill. MAY THE NEXT FIGHT BEGIN!!!" Khalev yelled as he jumped between us, pushing the ghostly blade away like it was but a mere illusion. He took my hand and guided me out of the sand ring, back to the tent in which I woke up.

"What in Oblivion was that?" I asked in a confused voice.

"It was as Akbar said, the Shehai." Khalev said like it was the simplest thing in the world.

"But what exactly is a Shehai?" I asked, still confused.

"It is hard to explain to one who is not of the order. A Shehai is a sword made with sheer willpower. In a way, like the bound weapons that the mages use. The Shehai is stronger than that. It can be summoned at will if the summoner is skilled enough. Strong emotions are enough to summon the Shehai and it will form out of anything. A master of the Shehai can summon it whenever he pleases, even when he is sleeping." Khalev said as he explained.

"The part with the Shehai I now understand, but who are you people?" I asked, these people weren't dune-dwellers, that was for sure.

"I will have to confess. We are not dune-dwellers. I urge you to keep this a secret if you care for us. We are Ansei, wielders of the Shehai and keepers of the ancient art. We keep our secret safe with us, and teach it to any willing to listen. Please, do not tell of us, it would only bring us trouble and pain." Khalev said with pain in his voice. It was obviously hard for him to confess.

"So you are Ansei? Sword Singers? I knew that the Ansei could be found in their mountain temples, not in the desert. How did you get here?" I inquired. This was sure an interesting find. These people were great warriors, perhaps I could persuade them to join the cause of Sentinel.

"We are a more different group of Ansei. We value our safety and our secrecy, travelling around the desert as if we were a tribe of dune-dwellers is better than staying in those mountains where anyone can find you. Akbar is one of the more proud Ansei in our small camp. I told him countless times not to use the Ansei when outsiders are in the camp. When he feels he is losing a battle, he doesn't hesitate to call the Shehai. You won the battle, Akbar was not allowed to use his Shehai against you. With your proven skill, you can join us and become an Ansei if you wish so." Khalev said.

"I would be honoured to join your order but I have things to do, things to put in order. I have run away from my city like a spoiled child in its time of need and the King most probably has need of me." I said, trying to find an excuse to leave. I really didn't feel ready to abandon all I had achieved and become an Ansei.

"If you so wish. You will never find this camp again so if you wish to become an Ansei, it is now or never. It is, however, your choice and we cannot hold a man against his will. You are free to return to your King and do your duty to him any time you wish. You have also won the right to stay with us if you wish and become an Ansei." Khalev said with slight sadness in his voice. He was dissapointed to see me leave. I had to go back to my city and do my duty to it.

"I am deeply sorry Khalev, but I cannot abandon all that I have achieved. I have to return to my city, and help my Kingdom." I said as I rose.

"We will wish you on your way home Arthago. You have won your place among us and we shall justly remember you." Khalev said as he also got up.

After taking my farewells from everyone, I was on my way through the desert. The harsh and never-ending desert. At first I advanced with a good pace. At some parts in the journey I even started running to get back to Sentinel quicker. As night began to fall, I could see the truth however. I had most probably went on the wrong way and got lost. Just my luck. I slowly trudged through the sand as I felt more tired with each passing step. I needed to sleep but I had to get to Sentinel! I looked around for any landmarks, nothing! I slowly laid down on the sand and started looking at the stars. I could even make out some signs, like the Mage or the Atronach. At one point, the stars even started moving. It was beautiful. I soon realised that I was halucinating because of fatigue. Without my will, I fell asleep like a rock.

The next day, I was awoken by the harsh sun. I could however see some mountains north of my position. I decided to head in the direction of the mountains. Sentinel was close to some mountains, in a hilly area on the coast. I figured that if I'd follow the path to the mountains I'd find Sentinel. It seemed like a good plan. As the mid-day sun hovered across me, I could feel that it was everything but a good plan. The mountains seemed to run from me as the sun scroched my skin. Why did I have to leave the Ansei camp? I was perfectly well there. I could have even become an Ansei myself! I had to leave. Marshall Daron was right. I really am a bore, too afraid to live the moment and try any new things. I should have left my past behind me then and there. I didn't and the scorching sun reminded me of this constantly.

It would be a long way back to Sentinel...

~~~
That's it for this scorching update! I seem to have something with being alone in the desert don't I? I hope you liked it anyway.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:31 PM