5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mass Effect 3, Discussion thread
Tellie
post Feb 13 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #1

Mouth
Group Icon

So anyone else looking forward to ME3 later this year?

I thought I should start this little topic where we can share anything about the upcoming game: Theories, wishes, rumours etc etc.

SO get cracking.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post Feb 13 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

Yes, I love how the Bioware's gone about the continuity so far. They've got a pretty good track record as far as content and story goes. The main problem I have are the vehicle systems. The Hammerhead was less interesting than the Mako in ME 1. Hopefully, third time's the charm, otherwise best to leave vehicles out.

BTW, anyone notice the only crew member of either game that can't die cannonically other than Shepard and Joker is Liara T'Soni?
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 13 2011, 11:38 PM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

I'm looking forward to it, but Skyrim kinda over shadows it at least for me.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Tellie
post Feb 14 2011, 12:48 AM
Post #4

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lord Revan @ Feb 13 2011, 11:10 PM) *

Yes, I love how the Bioware's gone about the continuity so far. They've got a pretty good track record as far as content and story goes. The main problem I have are the vehicle systems. The Hammerhead was less interesting than the Mako in ME 1. Hopefully, third time's the charm, otherwise best to leave vehicles out.

BTW, anyone notice the only crew member of either game that can't die cannonically other than Shepard and Joker is Liara T'Soni?

I have to agree on your points Revvie except for one small thing. If you really and then I mean REALLY mess up the so called 'suicide mission' you can lose Shepard, at which point you can't continue with that character, lest you load and do it over again, There is even a special cutscene where Joker informs the Illusive Man about what happened.

Naturally I wouldn't have experienced this personally, my level 30 Adept is faaar too good for that but one of my friends actually had this happen to him.

Me I'm hoping they bring back Ashley, as Shepard wan'ts his girlfriend back (yes he stayed loyal to her).

Then again, my level 30 Soldier was not as faithful and grabbed the chance to score with Miranda.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 14 2011, 01:35 AM
Post #5

Master
Group Icon

One of my friends did a speed run of the game just to see the cut scene where everyone dies. Apparently that's the way the Illusive man wants it judging from his expression at the end.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 14 2011, 05:10 PM
Post #6

Forum Bard
Group Icon

I liked ME 2 but really I wish they hadn't changed it so far from the first game. The mechanics are very different, I played through the first game right before I played the second game and the actual gameplay was very alien to me. I just felt that the first game just played more naturally than the second one.

I did however like the way they managed to tie things that happened in the first game so well into the second one. Hopefully they do a good job with this in ME 3 as well.

One thing that I can say about Bioware games is that generally their relationships with other characters and their voice acting are done extremely well, better than any other company IMO. They really go all out when searching for voice actors and hire some of the best in the business.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 15 2011, 06:33 AM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

I thought Mass Effect 2 was better than the original in every way except 2 instances:

AMMO

and

Weapon selection

I hated that they made you collect "heat sinks" like bullets. What's the point? I hated that my sniper rifle had 10 shots.

I also liked finding new weapons in the first game and applying mods to them. ME2 didn't have very many weapons to find and almost no mods.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 15 2011, 09:28 AM
Post #8

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Feb 15 2011, 05:33 AM) *

I thought Mass Effect 2 was better than the original in every way except 2 instances:

AMMO

and

Weapon selection

I hated that they made you collect "heat sinks" like bullets. What's the point? I hated that my sniper rifle had 10 shots.

I also liked finding new weapons in the first game and applying mods to them. ME2 didn't have very many weapons to find and almost no mods.

Agreed with everything above, these were the mechanics I was talking about. I liked the huge amount of weapons and customisation in the first game, the second game lacked that a little IMO. I still loved it because of the characters and story but really the game focused too much on recruiting ppl and there's not much story there otherwise.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 15 2011, 07:50 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Feb 15 2011, 02:28 AM) *

Agreed with everything above, these were the mechanics I was talking about. I liked the huge amount of weapons and customisation in the first game, the second game lacked that a little IMO. I still loved it because of the characters and story but really the game focused too much on recruiting ppl and there's not much story there otherwise.

Ah. I thought by mechanics you were talking about how the combat was a little more action oriented. I thought that cover worked better in the second game, and I liked how headshots and such did more damage than body or limb shots.

I really liked the story in the second one as well. It really pulled me in. The first one I thought was fun but I was still very disconnected from the game.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ahrenil
post Feb 16 2011, 01:18 AM
Post #10

Agent

I kinda liked the system personally. In ME1 I found myself able to park myself a distance away and just spam into the distance and things would die, in ME2 with the ammo requirements it meant you had to play more tactically, suddenly each firefight had a bit more meaning, the way you used your powers was a little more considered, I felt it added more depth and made combat a bit more fun.
+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post Feb 16 2011, 01:45 AM
Post #11

Master
Group Icon

The heatsink/ammo system has some merit in terms changing of gameplay, but it falls flat in story integration.

First, in less than a year it's in the hands of every punk on the street and his granny. You'd think something so revolutionary would be better regulated by whomever developered it. Even the mechs on a ship that's been lost for ten years have thermal clip technology (Jacob's Loyalty Mission).

Second, they're more of a gameplay nerf than upgrade. The new "heatsinks" seem pretty bleeding edge compared to the old technology. While ME 1 sinks actually dissipate heat as their name suggests, the ME 2 sinks semm to just... burn out. Perhaps an "improved" version in ME 3 will only need replacing if the character actually overheats the weapon

Still, the ammo system in ME 2 can be overlooked so long as the player A) utilizes their class' powers and cool.gif maintains good fire disipline.
+Quote Post
RagingMudcrab
post Feb 16 2011, 08:12 AM
Post #12

Evoker

I'm more of a Dragon Age fan, but yeah, I'm excited for ME3.

--------------------
"The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live." -Ayn Rand

The Great Gate Gazette
+Quote Post
Tellie
post Feb 16 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #13

Mouth
Group Icon

I have to agree with Ahrenil on this one, ME 1 felt rushed and incomplete compared to the second, where we got a lot more individual story, and the heat sinks, while I can agree with Revvie's first point I like it.

Due to my (long) experience with FPS games and similar I find it too easy when I have endless ammunition (true FPS are a bit more difficult on xbox compared to a computer but not much).

By bringing 'ammo' into the equation the situation becomes more tactical and you have to conserve your shots instead of just blasting away with a creepy smile on you face and the internal sound of evil laughter.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 16 2011, 10:49 PM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

I would have liked the heatsinks better if your gun still cooled off with time.

Before the game came out I though that it would be if you overheated your gun and needed to shoot NOW you could change the heatsink and then get back to shooting.

Anyone play Mechwarrior? I imagined it would have worked like the coolant flush in the Mechwarrior games.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Mar 14 2011, 11:13 AM
Post #15

Mouth
Group Icon

Thermal clips encourage you to use more than just your 'main' weapon, especially if your main weapon is the Claymore or the Widow. If I had unlimited rounds for the Widow, then why would I need to carry the Tempest?

The two things that bothered me the most about ME2:

1). I would have liked to have seen more attention paid to your final decision to save the Council or allow it to die. If the original Council died then your Spectre status is not reinstated and you are told that there is a great deal of resentment toward humans in the galaxy. But, other than a couple of half-baked attempts with batarians on Omega, you never really see that in action.

2). The whole conversation with Ashley/Kaidan on Horizon was just bad (i'm talking 'Femshep throwing herself at Jacob' bad)! I wanted to waste a couple of thermal clips on them!

Shepard: 'O.K, how does the fact that you were frozen in place while a whole invasion force of humanoid insects were busy loading half the colony into their phallic-shaped star destroyer make you think that Cerberus is behind this??!!'

Oh, on topic: I am looking forward to ME3.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Ahrenil
post Mar 14 2011, 03:00 PM
Post #16

Agent

I know what you mean with the Ashley/Kaiden meeting. You would've thought that saving the Galaxy would entitle you to a little bit of trust, especially from the people who helped you do it. What's more, what was stopping you just from going "Hey Joker, grab Dr.Chakwas and come and explain why we're not the bad guys please"
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Mar 15 2011, 12:24 AM
Post #17

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ahrenil @ Mar 14 2011, 07:00 AM) *

I know what you mean with the Ashley/Kaiden meeting. You would've thought that saving the Galaxy would entitle you to a little bit of trust, especially from the people who helped you do it. What's more, what was stopping you just from going "Hey Joker, grab Dr.Chakwas and come and explain why we're not the bad guys please"

Exactly. At least when you see Anderson and tell him about the Collectors he is willing to take you at your word, even if that means acknowledging that you are now working with Cerberus.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post May 5 2011, 08:07 PM
Post #18

Mouth
Group Icon

Bad news.

Mass Effect 3 is no longer coming out this year.

ME3 Delayed until first quarter 2012.

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
+Quote Post
King Coin
post May 5 2011, 08:31 PM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ May 5 2011, 02:07 PM) *

Bad news.

Mass Effect 3 is no longer coming out this year.

ME3 Delayed until first quarter 2012.

Good news in my opinion. It's no longer going to be ME3 vs Skyrim. March or so was about when I was going to get it anyways.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post May 6 2011, 01:55 AM
Post #20

Master
Group Icon

The best things are worth waiting for, right?
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:43 AM