Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Serene of Cyrodiil, chapter 5, Home is where your Heart is...
minque
post Jun 19 2006, 09:46 PM
Post #21

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Maybe some good new for my loyal readers, who are awaiting another update of this story...

In a few days I will get back the files from my crashed comp.....on an external HD. So hopefully I´ll soon be able to continue this........

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tellie
post Jun 19 2006, 09:47 PM
Post #22

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(minque @ Jun 19 2006, 10:46 PM)
Maybe some good new for my loyal readers, who are awaiting another update of this story...

In a few days I will get back the files from my crashed comp.....on an external HD. So hopefully I´ll soon be able to continue this........

Yay...*claps and shouts with aproval*

best news I have heard in days now...thanks for clearing that out for us biggrin.gif

*waits in exitement* goodjob.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jun 19 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #23

Master
Group Icon

Hopefully the anticipation will not kill me beforehand. Please don't let it kill me! I like following this story!

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
Neck' Thall
post Jun 19 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #24

Finder
Group Icon

Kool, I hope i can wait long enough fot the update to come. Ohh , it was nice to see you posting on CGF2 too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Jun 20 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #25

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

Well I'm sorry to hear of the death of your laptop sad.gif

But... since I've hardly been around for the last few months it's given me a chance to catch up on this story. smile.gif

Looks like I'm just in time too if updates are forthcoming. Am just about to watch the second half of the England vs Sweden match ( good luck of course tongue.gif ) so will continue this afterwards.

Edit just after the match:

I was planning on saying something about richly drawn characters, beautiful pacing, and the attention to detail that makes me delight in reading. However Sweden's tenacity have made me physically and emotionally knackered (plus I've just about lost my voice after screaming at England to keep the ball) so that's all I have the energy to say right now wacko.gif

Second edit : 3rd July.

My voice is back now, and I just had to add one more teeny little comment. I absolutely loved the way you run your tale parrallel to the main quest (and of course Trey's story which we all know and love). It feels like, how do I put this? Chocolate fudge cake with real cream that doesn't have any calories. We get the best of both worlds smile.gif
+Quote Post
Pushtrak
post Jul 20 2006, 02:13 AM
Post #26

Retainer

sad.gif

Still no luck?

--------------------
The Pit
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good?
-need we ask anyone to tell us these things?
Robert Pirsing, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post Jul 20 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #27

Master
Group Icon

nicely done so far, and I also want to know WHEN WIL THE NEXT UPDATE BE!!! ok I'm good laugh.gif
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jul 20 2006, 11:29 PM
Post #28

Master
Group Icon

Patience is a virtue young grasshopper.... Unfortunately it's a virtue I sometimes lack in! tongue.gif

--------------------

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post Jul 20 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

Hey Metal Mallet I've almost finished making a chapter in this time period, and you should know you've posted more than most people on it.
+Quote Post
minque
post Jul 23 2006, 02:50 PM
Post #30

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pushtrak @ Jul 20 2006, 03:13 AM) *

sad.gif

Still no luck?

QUOTE(Lord Revan @ Jul 21 2006, 12:08 AM) *

nicely done so far, and I also want to know WHEN WIL THE NEXT UPDATE BE!!! ok I'm good laugh.gif

QUOTE(The Metal Mallet @ Jul 21 2006, 12:29 AM) *

Patience is a virtue young grasshopper.... Unfortunately it's a virtue I sometimes lack in! tongue.gif

Ok....I´ve got a brand new lappy, the old one was so dead they had to bury it! I´ve also got the contents of my old HD on a portable HD. Now what has to be done is installing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I hope that it won´t take that long, but you never know!

I apologize to my dear readers....you have really been wonderfully patient! And I love you all! wub.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jul 23 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #31

Master
Group Icon

Glad to hear that great news! I will try to keep my patience about me, as I eagerly wait for the continuation of this great fic. Hopefully installing won't bring up any problems. *crosses fingers hopefully*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post Jul 25 2006, 01:48 AM
Post #32

Master
Group Icon

....you have really been wonderfully patient! And I love you all!

..... your welcome Minique, I didn't even know you used a laptop........................ cool.gif
+Quote Post
minque
post Aug 21 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #33

Wise Woman
Group Icon

At last, yesterday I celebrated the successful installing of Word with making an update of this godforsaken story

So enjoy all my loyal and wonderfully patient readers!

Varvur Sarethi did resemble his father quite a bit, but where Athyn’s face was stern and sharply outlined, Varvur was faint and weak. He was a young man, a couple of years older than me, tall and thin. His hair was originally jet-black but now it had an unhealthy greyish shade, besides it was rather oily and lank.

He was lying on a narrow bed in his small bedroom further down at Sarethi Manor, staring with unseeing eyes at the roof. The room was hot and stale and the smell of dirty clothes and unwashed human being was striking.

“Varvur, I’d like you to meet someone,” Athyn spoke gently, while putting his hand to the young man’s forehead.

“Please Father; leave me alone, I don’t want to meet anyone. I have a terrible headache.” Varvur´s voice was hoarse and guttural.

“That’s why I want you to meet this lady, she’s healer and...”

“Another healer?” Varvur smirked, “I don’t need another healer, they can’t help me anyway, so just leave me alone will you?”

I felt rather dizzy; the heat and the young man’s apparent repudiation of having anything to do with me made me want to leave...immediately. A trickle of sweat ran down my back and I had some difficulty breathing the stale air.

“Varvur, please,” Athyn had obvious difficulties controlling his voice, and the pain in his eyes made me feel even worse.

Then all of a sudden Varvur sat up and took a look at me. His red eyes were totally callous. I tried to stay calm and even gave him a faint smile.

“Ha! At least this one is good looking, not like those old hags you usually get here.” The young Dunmer gave me a scornful smile and leaned back on the bed again.

“There is no need to be rude, Varvur,” Athyn replied icily, “Serene here is a very skilled healer, so please give her a chance.”

I remained silent, just put my hand gently on Athyn´s arm to draw his attention away from the young man on the bed, and as he turned towards me the world stopped. There was nothing except the old Dunmer and I; I could not move, not even withdraw my hand; the only thing that existed was Athyn Sarethi´s dark sad eyes looking right into mine.

I can’t explain the storm flood of feelings that came over me, I just stood there for eternity as it seemed. In fact the strange moment just lasted like a minute before I forced myself to let go of his arm, saying:

“I’d better go now, Serjo Sarethi, to make some preparations and then I’ll come back in a day or two.”

Athyn Sarethi nodded, still looking at me with an almost tender expression in his face.

I went directly to the Mage’s Guild after leaving Sarethi Manor. There had to be some source of useful information to help me plan this delicate task of curing Varvur. I was considering consulting Lloros Sarano as well but decided to wait until the next day.

Edwinna was very friendly as always. She prepared a meal for me and I discovered I was starving, oddly enough, so I enjoyed the crab-stew and the freshly made bread she put in front of me very much.

“Serene, I think it would be a good idea to visit Venim Manor,” she said thoughtfully, “You might be able to come up with a clue to why young Varvur was held prisoner there in the first place; besides, you’re new to House Redoran and it would be an act of courtesy to pay a visit to the Archmaster of the Great House.”

I shrugged- after what I’d heard about Archmaster Venim, I had no real desire to meet him. It seemed that he was a very powerful man, who used his power in ways that I considered questionable. Still, I agreed with Edwinna, a visit to Venim Manor could be fruitful.

I wanted to look the very best when visiting Archmaster Venim, so I washed myself thoroughly the next morning, Edwinna made my hair in an intricate coiffure, just to make a good first impression. Also she lent me her finest dress, the one she usually wore at celebrations and other important events.

If I had known how things would turn out, I wouldn’t have bothered so much.

Upon my entering Venim Manor I was immediately examined, and I was glad I didn’t bring any weapons, since I thought that would prove my good intentions. The examination was not at all pleasant, even though it was performed by a female guard, who presented herself as Velsa Orethi. She told me about the greatness of Bolvyn Venim and also how fortunate she was to be in his service. During her everlasting torrent of words, her hands were all over my body poking and squeezing….

I was told Archmaster Venim was occupied at the moment with another councillor, Garisa Llethri, so I was left unattended but not unguarded in the great lower hall of Venim Manor.

This Manor was different from Sarethi Manor, more spacious, overwhelming in its layout, richly decorated with flower arrangements, colonnades and lots of thick carpets on the walls as well as on the floor. It was a grand Manor but not as nice and comfortable looking as Sarethi Manor.

While I was waiting for my audience with the Archmaster I was approached by a Dunmeri woman who looked rather aware of her own importance, which was quite appropriate since she presented herself as Fathasa Llethri, wife of Councillor Garisa Llethri with whom Archmaster Venim was currently meeting. Fathasa was extravagantly dressed and very good at conversations, as it turned out.

“So, you must be the new outlander who has joined Great House Redoran!” she exclaimed, clutching her hands together, “So nice to meet you my child…..Now what is your name? Are you really from Cyrodiil? Oh I wish the Archmaster would send my husband there...I´ve always wanted to visit The Imperial City….Now what’s it like there?” She stopped for a short moment to catch her breath and I rapidly interrupted her;
“Sera Llethri, I’m honoured to meet you, yes I’m Serene Catraso, new member of Great House Redoran and yes I’m from Cyrodiil originally. I’m here to pay my respects to Archmaster Venim...”

“Oh yes the Archmaster, he’s an extraordinary man, strong, bold, a truly great leader and a very good friend of me and my husband.”

Fathasa´s face glowed in a rather strange way when she talked about Archmaster Venim and I got the feeling there was something the matter here.

I continued my conversation with Sera Llethri for a while, and then two young guards came by, telling me that Archmaster Venim was ready to see me.

I must admit I was rather nervous about meeting the head of House Redoran, but held my head high when I was lead through the great hall, up a broad staircase and into the grand audience-chamber where Bolvyn Venim awaited me.

Along the way I passed a young woman who gave me a faint sign as if she wanted to speak to me…..

Bolvyn Venim was standing beside his desk, straddle-legged, with a stern look on his face, and he stared at me in a piercing, unpleasant fashion, as if he did not like what he was seeing. Well the feeling was mutual, but I maintained a cool expression that would have made my deportment teacher in Cyrodiil proud. At last, realizing that I was not about to wilt under his stares, the Archmaster spoke:

“Now then…what do we have here? Another saucy outlander intruding into our noble House Redoran…it’s completely outrageous, Guards! Get her out of here!”

I went cold with anger. this man had no reason to treat me like this, I had come with nothing but good intentions and he didn’t even bother to let me speak to him, but I didn’t give up that easy, I was here and I intended not to let me be put off like this.

“I greet you honourably Archmaster Venim!” I said in a louder voice than was intended, “I’m Serene Catraso and I recently joined Great House Redoran, and so I’m here to pay you my respects!!”

“Respect? “He frowned, “I don’t accept any respect from a dirty outlander like you; now you get out of my house immediately or I’ll have you thrown out.”

I didn’t wait for the guards to throw me out; I turned around and hurried down the staircase, tears burning behind my eyelids. It was quite long since I was treated in this humiliating way and I was shaking from anger and sadness.

Once outside the Manor I stopped, panting heavily, trying to prevent myself from crying, when a soft voice spoke from behind me,

“Serene, I’m sorry for my father’s behaviour; please don’t be sad, I think we must talk!”

I looked up, and saw that the young woman who gave me the sign before was standing on the walkway, her hand outstretched in a friendly manner.

“Your father?” I asked, and wondered how a rude bastard like Bolvyn Venim could possibly have a daughter who sounded that nice.

“Yes, Bolvyn Venim is my father, nothing I’m particularly proud of, by the way my name is Vendrela Aravel, and I really think we should talk……you see I’ve known Varvur Sarethi since we were children; we actually grew up together”

I looked at her stunned, first, because she apparently knew of my interest in Varvur Sarethi, and second because she just might be a source of information on what was going on in this snake’s nest that was called the Great House Redoran…

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Aug 21 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #34

Knower
Group Icon

Thanks for this great update. It has been a while in coming, which only makes it more appreciated. I particularly enjoyed the juxtaposition of Bolvyn Venim with his daughter; the incredible difference in their personalities was quite intriguing. I do hope that Vendrela can help point Serene in the right direction; it sounds like curing Varvur will be no small task. Regardless, I'm sure Serene is up to the task.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Aug 21 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #35

Master
Group Icon

About time! Just kidding tongue.gif

I'm very happy to see an update for Serene. Lots of great emotion throughout and interesting characterizations of Venim and his daughter, and Varvur as well. I look forward to seeing how Serene is going to help Varvur.

--------------------

+Quote Post
treydog
post Aug 21 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #36

Master
Group Icon

What a wonderful gift to take the edge off of a Monday! I like this update both for what it contains and what it promises- here we see Serene's first steps toward discovering (and fixing?) the problems within Redoran. A return that was well worth waiting for.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
milanius
post Aug 22 2006, 01:37 PM
Post #37

Agent

So... they ponder and ponder and PONDER morality all damn day long, do they... and when no one's looking, they're still as filthy as Hlaaly or Telvanni ? Yep. I know.
i just wonder how will you find out what is really wrong with Varvur... that heat and dizziness might be a giveaway ?

oh, and Welcome Back smile.gif

This post has been edited by milanius: Aug 22 2006, 01:38 PM

--------------------
Zlo činiti od zla se braneći,
tu zločinstva nema nikakvoga

Petar II Petrovic Njegos
(1813-1851)
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Aug 26 2006, 03:45 AM
Post #38

Master
Group Icon

Great job Minque. Just goes to prove that just because most of the family are morons there can always be one sensible one.

please continue, I can't wait to read more

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Aug 29 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #39

Master
Group Icon

Hmm, I must admit I never got a good talk with the Redoran. It might have something to do with my character being a high-ranking (as in, Arch-magister) Telvanni. Or maybe they don't like robed Redguards. kvleft.gif

This sickness sounds interesting. And I feel another romance coming up. Or at least friendship and mutual respect. Now I wonder what good old Venim will say about Serene hanging out with his daughter. Watch out, the old creep has one mean Dai-katana.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Pushtrak
post Sep 13 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #40

Retainer

Nice! An update smile.gif

I like. It was only by chance I happened to come back, been a while since I was last here.

--------------------
The Pit
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good?
-need we ask anyone to tell us these things?
Robert Pirsing, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:11 AM