Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

44 Pages V « < 37 38 39 40 41 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ESO tips & tricks, Looking for help with ESO? This is the right thread for you!
ghastley
post Jan 15 2019, 04:06 PM
Post #761

Councilor
Group Icon

She's not dying. I get the impression that magicka characters could survive naked, and the equipment is really just there to boost max magicka, and regen. She probably has enough of those from CP, so we need the training trait most of all. And that's why I'm wondering about replacing/purpling for stronger trait.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 15 2019, 06:31 PM
Post #762

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 15 2019, 10:06 AM) *

She's not dying. I get the impression that magicka characters could survive naked, and the equipment is really just there to boost max magicka, and regen. She probably has enough of those from CP, so we need the training trait most of all. And that's why I'm wondering about replacing/purpling for stronger trait.

Oh, I see. Truthfully = not sure how much percentage purpling would add to the Training trait (if any). There has to be some criteria on that; I'm sure others have wondered the same thing. Most people I know just use the blue gear and drink XP potions or use scrolls, etc.

This post has been edited by mALX: Jan 15 2019, 06:31 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 21 2019, 03:24 PM
Post #763

Councilor
Group Icon

Unna was wandering around Malabal Tor yesterday, completing the explorer achievements, when she unintentionally ran into a World Boss. Since it was unexpected, she didn't get off to a good start, but nevertheless she came close to winning. Having just upgraded her Poison Arrow to Poison Injection may have helped with that. More DoT's is always good.

Which has me thinking that she should try to intentionally solo a WB soon. Which is a good one?

This post has been edited by ghastley: Jan 21 2019, 04:46 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 21 2019, 05:10 PM
Post #764

Paladin
Group Icon

Easier WB's? It can depend on the nature of your character but here's a few recommendations for 'baby's first solo WB:

Ratmaster's Prowl in south/central Eastmarch. A single archer who summons very weak rats.

Shipwreck Strand west of Davon's Watch in Stonefalls. A big blue mudcrab who summons a few weak baby mudcrabs.

Grove of the Abomination in SW Deeshan. A single corpse husk mage who fights somewhat lethargically.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 21 2019, 05:54 PM
Post #765

Councilor
Group Icon

I wasn't just thinking easier, as much as available to solo. The easy ones tend to get a lot of other players swarming in, which makes it harder to evaluate how you're doing.

That's especially true of the lurker near Daggerfall. Every time I think I have him to myself, someone comes along. Floozie duo'ed him last week at level 24, but I didn't notice what level the other player was. She wasn't planning on getting involved, just passing by on the way back from Silumm, but he got led down to her by a kiting strategy on the other player's part. Laurie attempted him a few times, but she's slow (being a tank) and never manages to finish him before someone sees an easy kill.

Shipwreck strand I've done a few times, but never solo. Again it's lack of opportunity. There's something in the game that only gives you solo chances when the character isn't ready for one. The Abomination I've only attempted with Cat Man Dhou while he was levelling, because we wanted the drop. That time we'd have preferred not to do it solo, and we failed.

Unna has been weak against them in the past, when I was trying to persist with 2H/2H, but now she has some bow skill, she should do better. Keeping the legs slot unused limits her a bit, and her Hunding's/Sword Singer combo is not the best, but I'm anxious to keep a lot of 2H in her rotation, so the 2h bonus from SS may be helping with that. The Alcast 2H build only has one 2H skill, and that's not in the rotation. It also uses Summerset skills and sets that aren't part of my game.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Jan 21 2019, 06:10 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 21 2019, 08:13 PM
Post #766

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 21 2019, 11:54 AM) *

I wasn't just thinking easier, as much as available to solo. The easy ones tend to get a lot of other players swarming in, which makes it harder to evaluate how you're doing.

That's especially true of the lurker near Daggerfall. Every time I think I have him to myself, someone comes along. Floozie duo'ed him last week at level 24, but I didn't notice what level the other player was. She wasn't planning on getting involved, just passing by on the way back from Silumm, but he got led down to her by a kiting strategy on the other player's part. Laurie attempted him a few times, but she's slow (being a tank) and never manages to finish him before someone sees an easy kill.

Shipwreck strand I've done a few times, but never solo. Again it's lack of opportunity. There's something in the game that only gives you solo chances when the character isn't ready for one. The Abomination I've only attempted with Cat Man Dhou while he was levelling, because we wanted the drop. That time we'd have preferred not to do it solo, and we failed.

Unna has been weak against them in the past, when I was trying to persist with 2H/2H, but now she has some bow skill, she should do better. Keeping the legs slot unused limits her a bit, and her Hunding's/Sword Singer combo is not the best, but I'm anxious to keep a lot of 2H in her rotation, so the 2h bonus from SS may be helping with that. The Alcast 2H build only has one 2H skill, and that's not in the rotation. It also uses Summerset skills and sets that aren't part of my game.

If you are playing a Tank, WB's are good for learning how to sustain; practice your rotations and self healing till they can't kill you (because the way Tanks are built, they probably can't kill the WB without converting some of their sustain out for DPS).

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 5 2019, 06:06 PM
Post #767

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 21 2019, 02:13 PM) *

If you are playing a Tank, WB's are good for learning how to sustain; practice your rotations and self healing till they can't kill you (because the way Tanks are built, they probably can't kill the WB without converting some of their sustain out for DPS).

Laurie's my primary tank, and she does have that issue with WB's. When I've tried taking one on in the past, we've always attracted attention from other players before managing to get a result solo. Cat Man Dhou needs a bit of re-spec work, and re-allocation of CP's before he tries one again. I had him trying to farm WB's for weapons in Deshaan for the Plague Doctor set, but he didn't have the sustain to finish them, and never got help when he needed it.

Testing Unna against the Precursor dummy has shown that we need a lot of rotation practice first. And she has a bad habit of dodging late, hoping to get her execute in first.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 5 2019, 06:24 PM
Post #768

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Feb 5 2019, 12:06 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 21 2019, 02:13 PM) *

Laurie's my primary tank, and she does have that issue with WB's. When I've tried taking one on in the past, we've always attracted attention from other players before managing to get a result solo. Cat Man Dhou needs a bit of re-spec work, and re-allocation of CP's before he tries one again. I had him trying to farm WB's for weapons in Deshaan for the Plague Doctor set, but he didn't have the sustain to finish them, and never got help when he needed it.

Testing Unna against the Precursor dummy has shown that we need a lot of rotation practice first. And she has a bad habit of dodging late, hoping to get her execute in first.

Yeah, I have died a bunch of times by trying to drop my ultimate or getting that one last hit in before a roll dodge, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 13 2019, 04:07 PM
Post #769

Councilor
Group Icon

Needing pointers for building my bow/bow character. She's an Imperial because I didn't have one, and a Dragonknight to balance the numbers there (and I don't have Warden). I expect to use DK skills only when they get too close, but the Standard of Might Ultimate is also a decent placeholder before I reach Dawnbreaker/Ballista.

The discussion of builds here tends to talk about the end-game, rather than how to get there. I need hints on what to get first, especially things like when to go off to BG's for Vigor and Caltrops. Should we actively do FG stuff, or just let dolmens build us up there? We're likely to farm them for set jewelry anyway.

The ZOS in-game advisor tells her to use DW, so it's useless. Its choices aren't that good for that build, anyway. What it does attempt, that nobody else seems to cover, is skills to use now, but drop later, when you get access to a better one. E.g. she won't have Poison Arrow until much later, so how should she use that slot now?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 13 2019, 05:11 PM
Post #770

Paladin
Group Icon

Well, some thoughts on bow/bow, trying to bear in mind that Bo’s a DK.

Consider Flawless Dawnbreaker on both bars for ultimate. Not a bad ultimate, cheap and has great passives.

An opening burst from stealth with snipe + poison injection is a wonderful thing. Crowd controlling trash with Bombard (Arrow Spray morph) is also a wonderful thing. But, if you ever solo big bosses (Buffy routinely does with bow/bow) it gets down to the necessity to keep the boss inside your ground placed dual killing zone of Volley + Caltrops. Kiting a WB is counterproductive since you simply pull him continuously out of your AoEs (and piss off any other players around). That means your archer has to be able to deal with a boss in her face – tanking for herself as it were. For a DK that means spiked armor. It also means plenty of damage to help kill quicker so that means major brutality from ignacious weapons. I don’t know if you can sustain obsidian shield but would be nice if possible. I’m sure you’ll give consideration to some of the DK’s close range abilities perhaps as well.

DK with bow/bow does not have a neat ‘heal while killing’ spell like sorc, warden, NB (or even a DW life leach skill) do so that means having some extra toughness and slotting Vigor.

As far as gear, I like the very easy to get combo of Hundings, Spriggans and Slimecraw.

As far as what to slot while leveling, that is a great time to build your skills and experiment so you have flexibility later. Not prudent to try soloing WBs or even dolmens while leveling.

The thread you linked is a good one. Since Buffy tends to run solo and likes both WBs and group dungeons, survivability while killing with a boss in her face is critical. Therefore, she’s found that sorc as bow/bow works better for her than warden or NB. We find bow/bow warden complicated (too many buffs) and bow/bow NB squishy. Have not tried other classes as bow/bow.

Can’t help on BG vs Cyrodiil since I’m comfortable getting vigor/caltrops from Cyrodiil only and have zero BG experience. My tip on timing if you do go to Cyrodiil is wait until you have 60 in horse speed – otherwise, even with the go fast alliance skill, you won’t be able to keep up with any group you ride with.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 13 2019, 06:51 PM
Post #771

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm not about to try soloing dolmens with her, but joining the trains, and picking up some FG points while she collects useful jewelry (e.g. that Spriggan's) is on the list. Right now, she'll be happy with Twin Sisters, as she's outgrowing gear as fast as she gets it anyway. We have two pieces, and a bow, at the moment, so one more's a set (briefly).

Doing BG's instead of Cyrodiil does mean that riding speed isn't an issue, and Floozie (healer-to-be) did it early for her Warhorn. Caltrops and Vigor take longer, and Bo may wait a bit before trying for those.

Initially, she did well with StoneFist laying her enemies down while Volley landed, but that loses effectiveness at higher levels. I suspect that holding them in the DoT area will become even more important as she gets more of those to use. Characters with bow only on the backbar have the option of dodging into their own DoT's, and daring them to follow, but I'd imagine Bo won't do that. And so far, she only has Volley (just morphed to Endless Hail). So she may start to use Talons to keep them in place.

There's a set of purple Hunding's at level 34 sitting in a storage chest waiting for her to reach it. Minx used it before her. We haven't kept any Overland stuff, as it was always at mixed levels, and many bits were just green. The same chest has a lot of Undaunted shoulders to choose from when she get to L50.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 14 2019, 12:59 AM
Post #772

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Feb 13 2019, 10:07 AM) *

Needing pointers for building my bow/bow character. She's an Imperial because I didn't have one, and a Dragonknight to balance the numbers there (and I don't have Warden). I expect to use DK skills only when they get too close, but the Standard of Might Ultimate is also a decent placeholder before I reach Dawnbreaker/Ballista.

The discussion of builds here tends to talk about the end-game, rather than how to get there. I need hints on what to get first, especially things like when to go off to BG's for Vigor and Caltrops. Should we actively do FG stuff, or just let dolmens build us up there? We're likely to farm them for set jewelry anyway.

The ZOS in-game advisor tells her to use DW, so it's useless. Its choices aren't that good for that build, anyway. What it does attempt, that nobody else seems to cover, is skills to use now, but drop later, when you get access to a better one. E.g. she won't have Poison Arrow until much later, so how should she use that slot now?

When SneakyBo was helping me build a Tank, they had me bring her up from level 11 to 50 as a DPS; wearing DPS gear. (She wore Thunderbug and Viper for DPS gear; and still carries that set in case she needs to DPS through something).

When she reached level 50 (she instantly became level CP160 then) = then they had me take her out of the DPS armor and put her in Tanking gear. They had me respec her Attributes and CP points to cut away any set up for DPS or PvP and build her for strictly Tanking. Then they started bringing me to Veteran dungeons to practice Tanking with her in groups; teaching me what to do on the spot as things came up.

The reason for raising them up in DPS gear and build is because if you build them as Tanks from the start and try to train them in everything they should know = you would be there forever; because the Tanking gear and Attribute/CP Point setup is all aimed at sustaining; not doing damage. Adept enemies can heal faster than a Tank can take them down - but stick that Tank in DPS gear and change a few CP Points around and they can wipe the floor with the enemy (but no longer have the sustainability).

SneakyBo gave me a list of skills they wanted me to have by level 50/CP 160; then told me to come back when I had everything. Of course = you don't have to wait till you are CP 160 to start Tanking; but Tanking armor is VERY expensive; so there is really no point spending all that on Nirncrux (etc) while they are rapidly changing levels.

Starting at level 11 = the skills they had me train her in were:

DK Class Skills & Sword and Board (of course on both those)

2 Handed & Bow = Both of these are for PvP; to use just for getting your Alliance Skills that you need. As soon as you have these 2 skills where you want them for the Battlegrounds = go to the Battlegrounds for the Alliance Skills. When you are done or later when you respec to morph into a Tank = you CAN drop these when your DK reaches level 50 and is ready to be morphed into a Tank; but you don't have to. I kept them just in case I needed them later.

Lightning Staff = This is invaluable to a Magicka DK; but Stam DK's can use it too if you have a big room to aggro. (Lay down Blockade to aggro; then drop your DK traps down to hold the mobs in one spot while you focus on the boss).

Heavy, Medium, and Light armor skills = Only take the passives that don't require 5 pieces in the Light and Medium; take all the passives in the Heavy.

Undaunted = The "Spit" Taunt ("Inner Fire") and the two passives.

The Alliance skills: Bring the Alliance War Skill Line to at least level 6 = Vigor; Caltrops; War Horn; Barrier; and Purge.

Caltrops = to aggro a whole mob to start the fight; but if you are facing a singular Boss or Tanking for a Veteran group or Trial you won't need them in the fight itself unless your DPS are floundering and need help. Then you can lay them down around you and yank the mobs into them using your DK "Chain" or the Fighters Guild "Leash." I used them when I first got them a few times; but they never worked as good as the Undaunted "Spit" and S&B "Puncture." I have Caltrops if I need them; but so far haven't needed them.

Vigor = DK's have the Green Dragon Blood; but that is a heal over time = you still need Vigor for a burst heal and because Vigor heals your whole team in Veteran Dungeons and Trials).

The Tank's Ultimates in group play should be War Horn and/or War Horn and Barrier = to support the whole team. The DPS should be the ones using DPS Ultimates; they SHOULDN'T need the help from the Tank's Ultimates for DPS = but they might run out of Stam/Mag; and that is where the Tank's Ultimates keep them working at their peak level. Especially if the DPS are taking a beating and the Healer is losing Magicka fast trying to keep them alive; the Tank using War Horn replenishes the Healer. (And Barrier heals while it protects your team; so I use it on my back bar and War Horn on my front bar).

Purge = you shouldn't need Purge if you travel with a good Healer; but if your Healer isn't able to negate the ill effects on your team (or if your team can't reach the shards the Healer drops) = Purge is a burst that cleanses your entire team within its range; no shards to grab it just does it.

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 14 2019, 01:02 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 21 2019, 07:09 PM
Post #773

Councilor
Group Icon

Well, Bo's getting on with filling her bars, and just needs the Ultimates. Dawnbreaker is a long way off, as she's only at level 5 in FG, but she's closing in on bow level 50, when she'll get access to Rapid Fire, which morphs to Ballista. She has Standard of Might, and Corrosive Armour as placeholders, in case enemies get too close.

We're taking passives fairly indiscriminately in the skill trees she'll be using, but leaving things like Heavy and Light Armour ones alone, as they depend on 5 pieces worn. She's also taken a couple of the crafting ones to help research, as there wasn't a competing use at the time. We probably have one unused skill point right now.

With bow skills on both bars, I'd have expected it to go faster, but that equally means half of them are on the other bar, too. At level 34, her bow is 44, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Everyone else was able to swap bars to favour one skill or another, so they had more control.

Can't do much about riding and research, as they're purely waiting games. She's only ten days old, so that horse is so slow! tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 21 2019, 09:02 PM
Post #774

Paladin
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Feb 21 2019, 10:09 AM) *
.... She's only ten days old, so that horse is so slow! tongue.gif

That is another advantage of going after Vigor/Caltrops via Battlegrounds vs Cyrodiil. During the last PvP event I took a young version of Buffy through Cyrodiil much earlier than normal to take advantage of the double AP the event offered. Thing is she only had about 15 on her horse speed. Even with the PvP 'ride faster' skill she could not keep up with any group she rode with and often missed resource captures and such. Never again will she go to Cyrodiil without 60 horse speed!

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 22 2019, 01:29 AM
Post #775

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Feb 21 2019, 01:09 PM) *

Well, Bo's getting on with filling her bars, and just needs the Ultimates. Dawnbreaker is a long way off, as she's only at level 5 in FG, but she's closing in on bow level 50, when she'll get access to Rapid Fire, which morphs to Ballista. She has Standard of Might, and Corrosive Armour as placeholders, in case enemies get too close.

We're taking passives fairly indiscriminately in the skill trees she'll be using, but leaving things like Heavy and Light Armour ones alone, as they depend on 5 pieces worn. She's also taken a couple of the crafting ones to help research, as there wasn't a competing use at the time. We probably have one unused skill point right now.

With bow skills on both bars, I'd have expected it to go faster, but that equally means half of them are on the other bar, too. At level 34, her bow is 44, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Everyone else was able to swap bars to favour one skill or another, so they had more control.

Can't do much about riding and research, as they're purely waiting games. She's only ten days old, so that horse is so slow! tongue.gif

HOLY CRAP! How did you reach Level 34 in just 10 days???? panic.gif panic.gif panic.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 22 2019, 04:38 AM
Post #776

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 21 2019, 07:29 PM) *

HOLY CRAP! How did you reach Level 34 in just 10 days???? panic.gif panic.gif panic.gif

Long days? There's a long weekend in there when I did little else. That accounts for a lot of it. And she had all the left-over XP scrolls the others could scrounge up.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 22 2019, 04:57 AM
Post #777

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Feb 21 2019, 10:38 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 21 2019, 07:29 PM) *

Long days? There's a long weekend in there when I did little else. That accounts for a lot of it. And she had all the left-over XP scrolls the others could scrounge up.

Wow, that is some hefty gameplaying!!! rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 22 2019, 02:45 PM
Post #778

Councilor
Group Icon

It helped that it was snowing outside. biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 22 2019, 04:00 PM
Post #779

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Feb 22 2019, 08:45 AM) *

It helped that it was snowing outside. biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 25 2019, 06:18 PM
Post #780

Councilor
Group Icon

Bo is now at level 43, and that level 34 Hunding's/Spriggan's gear is beginning to look weak. But she's reached bow level 50, and has the Rapid fire untimate, which will soon morph to Ballista.

We just spent some time in Coldharbour, gathering Skyshards, and hoping to raise FG with all the Daedra we're killing. However, that's only at level 6, well short of Trap Beast and Dawnbreaker. I'm not sure what is the best way of advancing FG, other than ignoring it, and letting it take care of itself, which was Unna's approach.

Laurie started her last couple of researches for Clothing, and Blacksmith ones are just over a week away. We have the pieces ready, just need the open slots. Since there's some spare Fortified Nirncrux in the bag, and most of her Nirnhoned writs want Potent, (except a couple that want the pieces she's still researching), we're considering making a couple of items for Blossom to research. There are three more characters that have level 50 in all their equipment crafting, but haven't got the skill points to advance their ranks. If I have them chase down some skyshards, we can do more max-level writs. With the change in writ returns in the latest patch, the dailies should be self-sustaining at that level, so we won't run out of ruby-level mats all the time.

Furnishing the houses is still going slowly. Minx has guest beds, but we haven't found a big one she likes. Her Ald Velothi Harbour House also needs a lot of other items, but we're undecided whether to stick to Dunmer styles or go eclectic. Mathiisen will be the latter, as it has rooms that could be "themed" separately. But that's waiting for centerpiece items to become available. All the others are gradually acreting pieces as we come across the plans. At least everyone has a bed in their own home.

--------------------
+Quote Post

44 Pages V « < 37 38 39 40 41 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:45 PM