79 Pages V « < 52 53 54 55 56 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer issues, Viruses, trojans, crashes, install problems etc
Decrepit
post Sep 4 2020, 01:52 AM
Post #1061

Master
Group Icon

I filled out Amazon's product return form early yesterday evening, opting for exact item replacement rather than money back. I also chose to have UPS pick up the repackaged product here rather than drive it to my nearest UPS facility. It was picked up at around 1530 today. Sadly, the replacement doesn't arrive until the end of next week. To the plus, I'm not doing any heavy typing, so a fully ergonomic keyboard isn't critical for now.

A slight worry is that the replacement keyboard is likely to be sent from the same place as the first. My not-provable theory is that the first keyboard was initially shipped sans outer packing box, received shipping damage, at which point the product box was wrapped in tape to cover its damage, and placed within an outer shipping box. In other words, if I'm correct the replacement might arrive in no better shape. We shall see, I reckon.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Sep 4 2020, 01:54 AM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 12 2020, 02:23 PM
Post #1062

Master
Group Icon

A replacement for my replacement ergonomic keyboard arrived yesterday afternoon. This one survived shipping, despite its outer shipping box being far being that the product box, with no padding of any sort to fill the space between inner and outer boxes.

It's up and running now without issues.

This keyboard is going to require much hand/finger training. It's smaller than I'm used to, with correspondingly smaller keys. I need to be more precise with finger placement than ever before, difficult for someone as klutzy as I'm prone to be. Oddly, despite its smaller size, reaching the BACKSPACE key requires a longer finger stretch than my appreciably bigger Microsoft Ergonomic 4000. I constantly undershoot it. On the other hand, I constantly overshoot arrow keys. Another change, every ergonomic keyboard I've used until now places its 'split' between F5 and F6. This keyboard places it between F6 and F7. Too, F-keys are appreciably smaller than I'm used to.

Gaming wise, I'll likely need to re-program functions now assigned to ALT-left and Ctrl-left, as they are now smaller and placed further left than is conformable for quick use.

To the plus, other than ALT and Ctrl, my left hand requires next to no re-training. Arrow keys and backspace should work themselves out with usage. (I'm already better with the latter.). I don't see the F6-F7 split as a major issue. Other than its small size, Ctrl might prove workable with practice. I need to remember that it took me some time to become proficient (ha) with the MS Ergo 4000. I was tempted to return to my ancient el-cheapo Micro-Innovations ergo many a time, despite its F/J finger-placement ridges being completely worn away.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Sep 12 2020, 07:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 12 2020, 04:32 PM
Post #1063

Paladin
Group Icon

Decrepit, I hope the new keyboard works out after some time to adjust. I know little things like that can certainly throw my typing/gaming off.

Just had some changes to my own system. Puter was built by a nice puter shoppe 4 years ago. Each year I take it in to them for a tune up, cleaning, blow out. Last year we discussed giving it a midlife upgrade this summer. So, after I finished posting Buffy's current book, I coordinated things and took Puter in. We deemed that its performance and memory were still plenty robust so all we did was upgrade the graphics card from a GTX970 to a GTX1660 and upgrade the monitor from a 21 inch to a 27 inch. I've had it back home and playing for a few days now and all is good.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 13 2020, 02:35 PM
Post #1064

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 12 2020, 05:32 PM) *

Just had some changes to my own system. Puter was built by a nice puter shoppe 4 years ago. Each year I take it in to them for a tune up, cleaning, blow out. Last year we discussed giving it a midlife upgrade this summer. So, after I finished posting Buffy's current book, I coordinated things and took Puter in. We deemed that its performance and memory were still plenty robust so all we did was upgrade the graphics card from a GTX970 to a GTX1660 and upgrade the monitor from a 21 inch to a 27 inch. I've had it back home and playing for a few days now and all is good.

Considering I still use my un-upgraded puter from 2009 together with a CRT, and that I bought two more puters with Win7 on them and have spare CRTs laying around, this post made me chuckle laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 13 2020, 03:24 PM
Post #1065

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Sep 13 2020, 08:35 AM) *

Considering I still use my un-upgraded puter from 2009 together with a CRT, and that I bought two more puters with Win7 on them and have spare CRTs lying around, this post made me chuckle laugh.gif

Speaking of old gear, the product box for my Micro Innovations ergonomic keyboard, now connected to my secondary PC, proudly proclaims that it is compatible with Windows 95! It came with an adaptor so that it can plug into those newfangled round PS/2 sockets. (Its native connector is a larger round plug. I forget what those are called.)

As to PC upgrades, the upcoming Nvidia RTX3070 sounds appealing. At $500US-plus, it's a long shot for me, considering I have several expensive 'necessity' purchases I can't postpone much longer. Too, considering how little gaming I do these days it's hard to justify. My GTX1070 remains a fine card, especially at 1080p, my monitor's native resolution.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Sep 14 2020, 08:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 13 2020, 09:16 PM
Post #1066

Ancient
Group Icon

I have been having an issue with some of the .mp3s of podcasts that I download lately. Windows does not see the metadata in their ID3 tags. It just looks like the tags are blank in Explorer. But when I try to edit them in Explorer, it gives me an error message when I try to save. I did some digging and found that it is because there is a new ID3 version - 2.4. Windows Explorer cannot read it, not even Windows 10. Except apparently if you have something called Windows 10 Content Creator pack (which I am sure costs some money).

The way to get around it is to download an MP3 metadata editor. I went with ID3 TagIT.

Run it

Using the navigation pane on the left, find the folder containing the files you want to fix.

Select all of the files that need fixing and click Extended Functions > Transfer/Convert TAGs or press F7.

Select Convert TAG Ver. 2.4 to Ver. 2.3 and click OK.

Accept any warning given about incompatability.

Save the changes.

And now you can see and edit the tags in Windows Explorer.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 14 2020, 12:47 PM
Post #1067

Master
Group Icon

hmm...

So far today YouTube videos won't play at 1080p without frequent long buffering pauses. Even at 720p I get occasional shorter pauses. My first assumption was that there's a problem with my internet connection. But...I tested that by downloading the current Nvidia graphics driver. Download speed is rock solid 825 KB/sec. That's as high as my ATT connection package allows. (Well, it can and sometime does hit 835 KB/sec. But more often than not it's below that.) So the issue seems to be with YouTube itself or, more likely, the patch to takes to reach my computer.

UPDATE:

The plot sickens. Not long after posting the above, Win10 informed me of an impending update. It turns out to have been a biggie, from 1903 to 2004. Knowing resistance is futile, I opted to get it over with. Afterward, some Nvidia control panel options were restored to default, including contrast and brightness. I restored my custom settings for those, only to have them returned to default again not long afterward. That's happened a few more times, even after updating to the latest Nvidia Driver. (The one I downloaded earlier today.) Also, my SoundBlaster Control Panel lost every one of its custom settings. My custom EQ config was unrecoverably lost. I have to reconstruct if from scratch. That's a major pain, my hearing being what it is. I wish I had thought to write down the 'old' custom EQ config.

I'm going to search for Win10 2004 'taming' videos on YouTube this afternoon and see how much damage this update might have done that need correcting.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Sep 14 2020, 03:52 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 14 2020, 03:40 PM
Post #1068

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Sep 14 2020, 01:47 PM) *

hmm...

So far today YouTube videos won't play at 1080p without frequent long buffering pauses. Even at 720p I get occasional shorter pauses.

I always play videos in 480. Only way for me to avoid buffering indifferent.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 14 2020, 03:58 PM
Post #1069

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Sep 14 2020, 09:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Sep 14 2020, 01:47 PM) *

hmm...

So far today YouTube videos won't play at 1080p without frequent long buffering pauses. Even at 720p I get occasional shorter pauses.

I always play videos in 480. Only way for me to avoid buffering indifferent.gif

Until now many years ago my internet connection was like that. 480p max. On very rare days I might be able to watch at 720p for extended periods. My current plan normally plays at 1080p just fine. 1440 is out of the question. My upload speed is abysmal. If I start uploading a 10-12min YouTube vid at around 2000-2030, it might be ready for view sometime between 0400 and 0600.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 14 2020, 05:54 PM
Post #1070

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 12 2020, 11:32 AM) *
So, after I finished posting Buffy's current book,

You were gaming with her that whole time? blink.gif I did not know that! Thought you were writing from memory or notes.

Decrepit: Yes I would think any Nvidia with a four digit number following GTX would be primo for gaming.

SubRosa: Wow. That process actually might help with a little MP3 problem we had about a month ago.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Sep 14 2020, 07:07 PM
Post #1071

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Sep 13 2020, 04:24 PM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Sep 13 2020, 08:35 AM) *

Considering I still use my un-upgraded puter from 2009 together with a CRT, and that I bought two more puters with Win7 on them and have spare CRTs lying around, this post made me chuckle laugh.gif

Speaking of old gear, the product box for my Micro Innovations ergonomic keyboard, now connected to my secondary PC, proudly proclaims that it is compatible with Windows 95! It came with an adaptor so that it can plug into those newfangled round PS/2 sockets. (Its native connector is a larger round plug. I forget what those are called.)

As to PC upgrades, the upcoming Nvidia GTX3070 sounds appealing. At $500US-plus, it's a long shot for me, considering I have several expensive 'necessity' purchases I can't postpone much longer. Too, considering how little gaming I do these days it's hard to justify. My GTX1070 remains a fine card, especially at 1080p, my monitor's native resolution.

My current PC has a 2060 in it, and technically I think the 1070 is still a better card due to this one being an intro model.

I'm also looking at possibly getting a 3070 but I need to double check my power supply can handle it. I still play world of warcraft on ultra at over 70 fps in most places(100+ in much of it, main city gets a bit lower) so I'm okay for now.

I did just order a new monitor for myself and husband. And a new gaming chair for me. Because my poor one tilts when it's not supposed to, and the hydraulic doesn't stay up anymore.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 15 2020, 11:01 AM
Post #1072

Master
Group Icon

Almost forgot to mention that I'm again able to watch online videos at 1080p without issue. I now suspect yesterday morning's issue was tied in with MS prepping me for the Win10 major update. Though why I was able to DL a new Nvidia driver at normal speed during that time plays against that.

Also, Nviida custom Desktop Color Settings now remain selected (as they should) rather than periodically reset to "other applications control color settings".

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 16 2020, 01:36 PM
Post #1073

Master
Group Icon

Well poot! Spoke too soon. Nvidia Control Panel custom color settings still sneakily revert to 'other applications control color settings'. Or do they? It's bewildering. If I switch bank and forth between Nvidia and 'other applications', no noticeable change in screen color/brightness/contrast occurs. Is the setting config in use actually Nvidia or 'other applications'?

After research yesterday I found a 'solution' to this behavior. It doesn't work. Not for me at any rate.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Sep 16 2020, 06:21 PM
Post #1074

Master
Group Icon

Well that stinks.

I have no solution, only sympathy.

And bird, I can't watch video at that low a resolution, it's so grainy.... even my blind self can see it. Not sure why your internet would have trouble with buffering either unless you got a bandwidth hog in the house. I'm on crappy DSL still(fiber installed but don't have modem yet) and don't have buffering problems *scratches head*

No solutions, only sympathy.

Our modem comes tomorrow. I gotta pick it up, them try to set it up.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 17 2020, 03:37 PM
Post #1075

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Sep 16 2020, 07:21 PM) *

And bird, I can't watch video at that low a resolution, it's so grainy.... even my blind self can see it. Not sure why your internet would have trouble with buffering either unless you got a bandwidth hog in the house. I'm on crappy DSL still(fiber installed but don't have modem yet) and don't have buffering problems *scratches head*

480p isn't grainy to me. I can go 1080 sometimes but it increases the risk of constant buffering. I have ADSL with the lowest speed of 2MB/s. Good and cheap enough for me. My eyes don't require sharper videos.

This post has been edited by mirocu: Sep 17 2020, 03:38 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Sep 17 2020, 08:08 PM
Post #1076

Master
Group Icon

Our DSL was 15 down. 2 down isn't really great for YouTube sad.gif

Fiber router came today... we've got 300 down now. biggrin.gif

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 18 2020, 03:38 PM
Post #1077

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Sep 17 2020, 09:08 PM) *

Our DSL was 15 down. 2 down isn't really great for YouTube sad.gif

2MB/s down works very nice for me indifferent.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Sep 18 2020, 05:11 PM
Post #1078

Master
Group Icon

:/

New monitors today. Mine's set up. Husband's is not. His desk is... a sty, and it needs cleaned before I can put it on there.

And he doesn't want to do it.

Heh.

My computer feels zoom now.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Oct 6 2020, 04:08 PM
Post #1079

Master
Group Icon

A little history. Some time ago, maybe 2018, NLT early 2019, I was notified that AT&T was installing Fiber Optic cable in my area/town. I checked pricing online at that. Didn't care for AT&T's fiber internet pricing, so filed the notice away and have thought nothing of it since.

Fast-forward to yesterday. I received an email notice from AT&T. They are discontinuing my current internet service and removing its cabling (throughout the area) early 2021. I must either convert to AT&T fiber by Jan 5 2021, move to a different provider, or do without internet / home phone (which using internet cabling). Gah!

My current internet is super slow by modern standards, it's true. But its download speed and data limit cap allow me to watch YouTube vids at 1080p hours a day every day of the month without issue. That's what matters. Yeah, upload speed is the absolute pits, but I can live with it.

I called AT&T last night to get a feel for what's available to me in fiber, and what it'll set me back. It didn't go well. (I wasn't in the best of moods, which didn't help.) The gentleman I spoke with quoted me a $60US monthly fee for one year, increasing to $80 monthly after that. (Phone service remains unchanged.) As I currently pay roughly $35 monthly for internet, this was a hard pill to swallow. Asked if there are cheaper options available, he wouldn't budge. Not only that, but he kept trying to sell me a fiber television plan, over and over and over again, after me telling him in no uncertain terms that I detest commercial television with passion and want no part of it. I eventually told him I needed to think it over and do a bit more research before committing, then ended the conversation.

Research shows that there are indeed cheaper internet packages available, lowest being $45 monthly first year, $10 monthly hardware fee included. I call again. Get a lady this time. Things went better. Not only did she acknowledge the lower cost package (Internet 100) but offered me a deal for $39.99 monthly Internet 300, price good for 999 months! (A promo.) As there is only one other internet provider here, whose packages are on the high side, I took the plunge. In theory, the technician will be here tomorrow morning to make the switchover.

I just hope pricing is on the up and up! They tried to screw me over (with internet speed, not pricing) when I received the service I now have. I raised enough of a stink to get that corrected in my favor. Don't know that I'm up to that anymore. Hopefully there'll be nothing to complain about.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Oct 6 2020, 04:41 PM
Post #1080

Master
Group Icon

Oh dear. They outright discontinued your service? Were you on DSL? Because that just runs on the phone lines... why they'd discontinue that is beyond me. People still use land lines!

That said, we just got rid of our DSL in favor of fiber. They were installing it anyway in the area so we took that plunge. Couldn't be happier. No more overnight game downloads! No bandwidth issues between two PCs streaming stuff. Woo.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post

79 Pages V « < 52 53 54 55 56 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:20 PM