Closed TopicStart new topic
> Corrupted heart.
jack cloudy
post Jan 25 2007, 10:55 PM
Post #41

Master
Group Icon

A short one. Enjoy!

That night, Aran returned. When he arrived, he found an unexpected scene. Pots, plates and cutlery were littered all over the small cabin. At the table, the Bosmer he’d brought in was stuffing herself full with what looked like enough food to feed a whole garrison of Legionnaires. Erinus rushed over to him when he clutched his head.
,,Aran! What did you get yourself into?” She chided the Dunmer. He waved off her attempts to help.
,,There’s nothing wrong with me. I just tried to keep up with Ghorak in drinking. Bad idea.” He grumbled. Rajn snickered.
,,Enough is enough. Don’t overdo it.” She joked.
,,Look who’s talking. This must be like your fifth serving. Finish it up already.” Erinus chided the girl as well.

Aran took the healer by the arm and led her outside.
,,About the payment.” He began but Erinus interrupted him before he could finish his obvious question.
,,Don’t worry, I know you don’t have any money. It’s fine, even though she just managed to go through a week worth of food. I’ll have to turn over each coin twice, but I’ll manage.” She told him. Without making any more futile attempts at talking, the Dunmer simply pulled out the pouch containing a thousand septims and pressed it into her hand.
,,Here.” He said.

The woman didn’t dare to open it, afraid that the illusion would be shattered. The hard coins in her hands felt real, very real.
,,Aran, how can I ever thank you?” She asked with tears of joy in her eyes.
,,Don’t thank me. This is the payment Ghorak owes you. He also insisted on giving you a weekly bonus for outstanding service quality. In other words, he found a way to sneak past that stupid law. Now let’s go in, it’s cold outside.”

,,Done! I’ll do the dishes!” Rajn exclaimed and was about to jump out of her seat when Erinus pushed her back down.
,,No walking for you yet. I don’t want you to trip and break everything. Now get back in the bed.” She ordered the Bosmer and then turned back to her old friend.
,,Would you mind?” She asked, gesturing towards the sink. Aran shrugged.
,,There is more to life than war. I’ll help you with cleaning the dishes.” He answered the unspoken question.
,,Good, I’ll stuff the vegetables first. Turns out our little lady here is a religious carnivore.”

Deep in the night, a coach arrived at the gates.
,,Please open! It is Mannimarco!” A voice shouted. Out of sight, sitting on a large suitcase, a slumbering shadow woke up. He dropped from the coach and clung to its underside. The gates opened and the coach entered the city, carrying an unwelcome guest.
,,Now, let’s find that man. We’ll see what this is all about.”

Ra’trith let go of the coach and rolled over the street till he reached a dark alley where he pressed himself against the wall. He checked his surroundings for any potential witnesses before ascending the wall towards the roof. Jumping from rooftop to rooftop, he made his way to the Plaza district. There, he gazed over the roof’s edge in the hope of seeing his target. There he was, a Redguard with hair as white as snow, a body bent over with age and a robe that had seen its better days.

The Khajiit resisted his urge to kill the man. First, he needed to assess the safety of this place. He looked at every roof, every shadow, every window. Nothing, no one was there.
,,This can’t be. It has to be a trap so why isn’t there one? No matter, then I’ll just kill him here and now.” He thought and licked his teeth. He moved across the roof till he was directly above the Redguard. Then, he dropped down. His claws shone in the moonlight, his eyes were blazing with a thirst for blood that knew no bounds.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jan 25 2007, 11:15 PM
Post #42

Master
Group Icon

.... And then the trap reveals itself!!

Oops, sorry, I'm not jack so I can't start the next post. Darn! Ohwell, looks like I'll have to be patient.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 26 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #43

Master
Group Icon

No need to be patient any longer. The trap reveals itself! Ok, just weirdness. Lorefreaks might recognise it though. wink.gif

He landed on the street, dropping to all fours to cushion the impact. He looked in all directions, trying to find out where his target had gone so sudden. He’d expected to land on the man’s back, not on the ground.

The air moved behind him. He spun around, stretching his leg to deliver a bonecrushing blow to the old man. The blow never came. Instead, he found himself flying through the air towards the nearest wall. Only his reflexes that had been honed by years of hard training allowed him to turn around in midair and catch the force of impact with his legs instead of his face. He dropped down to the ground again and watched the Redguard warily.
,,I should’ve known. Either there was a trap or the target was not helpless in the end. He moves quite fast for someone that old. Not fast enough.”

Slowly, the Khajiit unsheathed the Blade of Woe. He then approached rapidly, a shadow of death catapulting itself through the air. He passed the old man like an arrow and then used a crate to slow down and strike from behind. The man had turned to face his assailant though and met the deathly dagger with an opened hand.

A sound like ringing bells echoed across the streets. Ra’trith jumped back, completely stunned by his foe’s resistance. The man’s hand was no longer empty. A sparkling mist as bright as the sun was nestled within the grip of his weathered hands. The Khajiit had no idea what to make out of it.
,,Now now, let’s not ruin this lovely night with violence, shall we?” The Redguard spoke for the first time. His voice carried no anger about the sudden attack. With a loud growl, the enraged assassin struck with all his fury.

Laughing softly, the Redguard danced around the blurred chaos of claws and Ebony. Then, he made a single downwards cut with the mist. Ra’trith jumped back and stared at the man, gasping for breath after his exertion. His hand went up to the wound. Where the mist had struck, his armour had been cut and so had his skin. It wasn’t any normal cut. There was no parting of leather and flesh. Instead, everything which had been touched by the light had simply vanished.
,,You are a marked man, why?” Ra’trith asked, stalling for time. It was a tactic he preferred not to use but in this case, he had no choice. The man had proven himself to be more than a match for him and worst of all, he wasn’t even sweating or breathing any harder than when he’d just taken a nap.

,,A matter that interests you, I presume. Of course, it is only natural to desire knowledge about that which you cannot defeat. That’s the Dark Brotherhood’s interest. I’ve had a few encounters with a certain member of your order. A Vicente Valtieri. I believe it’d suffice to say that he failed to kill me just as how you have failed yourself. Perhaps you have heard of him?” The old man answered the question with a question.
,,I’ve met him.” Ra’trith snarled in return.
,,Valtieri, so that’s why. You never expected me to win did you? So you’ve spoken with the traitor and dealt with him. Of course, you speak with yourself every day. You’re death, traitor! Mark my words!”
,,If this is personal, then perhaps you two should deal with it yourselves.” He told the old man.
,,I’d love to spill your blood but there is a certain satisfaction in making two enemies fight each other while I watch from a distance.”

The Redguard shooed him away.
,,I am a man of life, not of death. You however, are the chosen bringer of death in this world. I can see it in your eyes. Death has been around you from the day you were born and if you’re not careful, it will be with you till the day you die. I have no intention of killing anyone.” He explained and turned his back on the Khajiit.
,,If you don’t desire to harm people as you say, than why carry a weapon? Do not convict my actions if you ignore yours.” Ra’trith accused the man. He’d caught his breath by now and was ready for a second round. The disastrous results of their first battle restrained him though.

The Redguard turned around and faced the assassin with a calculating look.
,,I do not carry a weapon. As long as I do not fear and as long as my will remains absolute, I am invincible. You have some impressive skills but you show some great flaws. You rely too much on the strength of your body and too little on the strength of your soul. These are the words of Revarim Kendri, remember them. You’ve piqued my interest, ender of lives, embodiment of darkness.”

Ra’trith visibly recoiled.
,,Embodiment of Darkness? How does he know my title? Was it a mere coincidence or perhaps not?” He thought, getting increasingly worried. He did not like people he could not comprehend and this Revarim Kendri was getting more incomprehensible with each passing moment.
,,The cook, two prisoners, several guardsmen, Jagar Tharn, Vicente Valtieri, you, the Emperor.” He admitted reluctantly. Kendri clapped his hands.

,,Ah yes, the Emperor. Who doesn’t want to kill him, with what he’s been doing lately?” He murmured and brought his face down to Ra’trith’s eyelevel.
,,The Emperor is no mere man you know. If you truly desire to kill him, you must prepare for an incredible challenge. To face this challenge, your will must be absolute. You must learn how to sing, how to be a champion of justice as opposed to a champion of evil. Perhaps then, you’ll stand a chance. Also, you might find Jagar Tharn in your way when you make your move. You must fight two men, a powerful mage and the ruler of an empire. Now then, good night.” Ra’trith blinked. That short moment of blindness was enough for Kendri to vanish. The Khajiit shrugged and walked away in the night.
,,Everything at its time. First, I must build my strength so I can face Valtieri. After that, I’ll start my quest to destroy the empire. And just what has singing to do with killing? Strange old man, I’ll kill you as well someday. No one escapes me. They can run but in the end, there’s only one fate that awaits all of us. Death.”

This post has been edited by jack cloudy: Jan 26 2007, 11:41 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jan 27 2007, 01:37 AM
Post #44

Master
Group Icon

Hmmm, that Redguard was rather peculiar. Seems to me like Ra'trith is getting involved in something that goes beyond himself. We'll see how this all turns out I guess.

--------------------

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
canis216
post Jan 27 2007, 03:48 AM
Post #45

Knower
Group Icon

Hah! Ansei, shehai, all that good stuff! Brilliant!

OK, so I am a bit of a lore-freak. But just a little.

But again, brilliant!

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 30 2007, 08:22 PM
Post #46

Master
Group Icon

Hey, I don't mind if you are a bit of a lore-freak. I tell you, it's easier to know such things than having to search the UESP all the time for information. (Imperial library gets blocked by my provider, unfortunately.)
Ah, the glories of updates and cameos. Enjoy.

The next morning, the city picked up its pace once more and its inhabitants were out on the streets. Two of them were standing near the wall of a random building. One of them was pinning a notice to said wall with the help of a small hammer and a few nails. The other eyed the streets and shifted in his armour nervously.
,,Calm down, Caius. You’re giving us a bad name like this.” The man with the hammer told his younger companion. Caius watched a passing Khajiit intensely for a moment.
,,I’m not sure if this is such a good idea, Berius.” He replied, pointing at the notice.

Berius had finished his work and now leaned casually against the wall.
,,Why not?” He asked with an interested voice.
,,Just read it.” Caius answered. The two looked at the notice they’d hung up together. Underneath the sketch of a random Khajiit’s face painted black was a message written in bold letters.

To all citizens of Cyrodiil. The person depicted on this notice is known as Ra’trith, who goes under the title ‘Embodiment of Darkness’. Said person is wanted by the Empire on the charges of: Treason, membership of the Dark Brotherhood, killing of guards, an attempted murder on a high-ranking member of the palace, the murder of a large number of loyal citizens, jailbreak and other charges which may come apparent at a later date.

If you see this person, warn the nearest guard officer so that this criminal can be brought to justice. Do not approach said person. Said person is known to be armed and extremely dangerous.

Signed: Jauffre, Blade.

Berius grumbled something under his breath.
,,Ah, he isn’t the most pleasant being I’m afraid.” He spoke more clearly. Caius nodded.
,,Which is exactly why I feel uncomfortable walking around like this. I’ve heard the rumours. This….monster has already slaughtered at least five of our comrades like sheep. He might also be responsible for a large number of killings all over the province. I feel as if I’m wearing a huge sign saying: I’m a Blade, come and kill me!” He exclaimed. Berius shook his head and brought a finger up to his lips.
,,Not so loud, you’re scaring everyone. Remember, as a Blade you have to assure the people that everything is right. The moment you start showing signs of fear, everyone else will start to panic.” He warned.

Caius pointed at the park where a Dunmer was telling a story to a Bosmer and an Imperial.
,,Say that those three will meet this Ra’trith. If he finds out they’ve been talking about him, how will we protect them from his wrath? If we can’t protect ourselves, then how can we protect anyone else?” He whispered. Berius shrugged.
,,That’s a hard question. Anyway, our job is done here. Let’s return to the barracks and get our scheduled task assignment for this week.” He offered. After a last look at the notice, they walked away.

,,And so the Tribunal claimed power over the House Dunmer. But it has been prophesized by Azura that one day, Nerevar shall return. He shall Slay the Devil in his lair and cast down the false gods who betrayed him. Then, Vvardenfell shall become fertile once more, the ash replaced by rain, the sand by grass. But when that will happen, no one knows.” Aran finished his story and sat down on the grass. Erinus handed him an apple and he took a bite from it.
,,What?” He asked when he noticed Rajn staring at him. The Bosmer frowned for a bit before answering.
,,Nothing. I’m just not used to vegetarians.”

,,Plants are a great source of strength, perhaps more so than the flesh of the creatures you kill. I have no qualms about taking an apple from a tree. The apple I take provides me with nutrition, while I spread its seeds to thank the tree that has fed me. What is so bad about my view? The tree won’t be harmed and I simply use that which would otherwise go to waste. Birds eat fruits, Deers graze on the grass. It is nothing unnatural.” Aran finished his explanation with another bite from the apple.
,,You’re not in Valenwood anymore. The customs here are different.” He added.

Rajn stretched and bent her leg a few times. The twitches had diminished greatly though they still returned from time to time.
,,Speaking of Valenwood, I want to go back there. I miss my home. As soon as I can walk, I’m out of here. Screw Cyrodiil, I’ve found nothing but trouble here.” She said unamused.
,,You did met us.” Erinus interjected.
,,I suppose. But still, I want to go home.”

The healer plucked a handful of grass and played with the green leaves absentmindedly, much to Rajn’s dismay.
,,They say that the war between Elsweyr and Valenwood has flared up again. I won’t stop you, but be careful if you go.” She advised.

,,Those stupid furbals with sand between their toes! Can’t they ever leave us alone? They’re always burning our forest and chopping our trees to pieces!” The Bosmer girl complained loudly. A Khajiit who passed the park at just that moment reared back his teeth in anger.
,,Shut up. Can’t you treehuggers leave us alone? You always have to expand your precious forest into our lands.” He hissed. Aran stepped between the two before a fight could erupt.
,,Bring peace into your hearts and souls! I will not let violence and bloodshed taint this garden!” He spoke with an voice that would not tolerate any protests. The Khajiit bared his fangs at the man who’d dared to interfere but chose to heed his advice when the man looked at him without fear.

The moment the Khajiit was out of earshot, Aran turned towards the still fuming Bosmer.
,,You’ll see that in this world, there are always two sides to a story. You lay the blame on the Khajiit, the Khajiit lay the blame on the Bosmer. If two sides blame each other, then who has right and justice on their side? No one. Remember that.” Having said his lesson, he sat down again and continued eating his apple as if nothing had happened. Rajn sat down after a moment as well and continued her own lunch which consisted of fish and bacon.
,,Two sides? I wonder where he learned that nonsense.”

--------------------
+Quote Post
Malpense the Dark
post Jan 31 2007, 12:46 AM
Post #47

Retainer

Great update man, really good. Enter the Blades, as if the water wern't already murky enough for our heroes

--------------------
Marriage isn't all it's cracked up to be, let me tell you. Marriage is probably your chief course of divorce.
+Quote Post
Malpense the Dark
post Jan 31 2007, 01:54 AM
Post #48

Retainer

I really hate to double post, particularly when this topic isn't about your story Jack, and when the question itself is entirley n00by but my post did have the edit button so...

Having gone through these forums I think I'm comfotable enough to start posting my own story. However when I go to start a new topic in the Fan Fiction section, it just says that I don't have permission to start a new topic. If any of you guys could tell the n00b what he's doin wrong, I'd appreciate it.

Can't wait for the next update Jack, keep em' commin"

--------------------
Marriage isn't all it's cracked up to be, let me tell you. Marriage is probably your chief course of divorce.
+Quote Post
canis216
post Jan 31 2007, 04:33 AM
Post #49

Knower
Group Icon

Forum rules: You can't start a new topic until you've got enough posts under your belt. I'm not sure what the number is--it's not too high. I'd suggest commenting on a few other stories. That would be the easiest and best way to roll up a few more posts. Have you voted in the most recent Clash of the Titans thread? We could use a tie-breaker.

Edit: Oh, and my compliments on the continued postings Jack. The little details (like the discussion on cross-cultural dietary customs) are nice.

This post has been edited by canis216: Jan 31 2007, 04:34 AM

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 31 2007, 10:40 PM
Post #50

Master
Group Icon

Yeah, it's a relatively new rule. Ever since we had an invasion of certain unwanted elements who wanted a datingsite or something. Anyway, you've got the required number of posts now and I've seen that you make good use of your topic starting powers.

Anyway, back to the story. This update marks the end of chapter 2. I noticed that the chapters are a bit short here but I don't mind. Normally I totally forget to change chapters which gets kind of annoying after a while. Well then, enjoy.

Dust floated through the air in the attic, lit by a few rays of light that passed through the various cracks in the roof. A soft squeaking was the only sound that originated from inside the attic. It was nearly drowned out by the noise from the streets outside. A new sound, one of parting air. Then, the squeeking was abruptly cut off by a loud thump.

Ra’trith opened his eyes as he woke up. He looked at the death rat he held in his paw.
,,Breakfast is served.” He thought slightly amused and ate the rat raw, skin and all. He licked the blood off of his claws and leaned against a wooden beam as he replaced his sleep with a light nap. Those who knew him might have noticed that the snarl on his face was one of his more rare ones. This snarl was not one of anger, or bloodlust, or savage pleasure. This was one of worry.
,,Vincente. Out of all people, why you?”

The tiny hut was covered in darkness, shadow upon shadow. A heavy smell filled the air, a smell that had a profound effect on the two sole living inhabitants. To one of them, this smell was a part of his everyday life. To the other, it was a new smell. Full of mystery and hidden promise. To him, this smell was unknown though he would become intricately familiar with it over the following years. It was the smell of blood.

The one who knew this smell bent down over a still form in the middle of the room. With a pale hand that shone in the moonlight, he gripped the hilt of a cruel dagger and wrenched it free from its victim. There was a soft wheeze when the blade was withdrawn from the Khajiit’s lung. Then, the Khajiit abandoned this world forever. The pale hand stabbed the dagger into the other forms systematically till its owner had assured himself that the entire Khajiit family had died.

The dagger was brought up to a mouth. A tongue, as pale as the hand, licked the blade clean of blood.
,,Fresh blood, delicious.” The man spoke. He looked upon the gruesome scene and smiled, proud of a job well done.
,,Sithis will be pleased. Well then, it’s time to leave. I want to be out of this forsaken desert before the sun rises.” He whispered to himself, sheathed his dagger and stepped over the pile of corpses towards the entrance.

Unexpectedly, a sharp pain stabbed through his ankle. Annoyed, he looked down. There was nothing visible in the darkness of the hut. Only a row of tiny white teeth glistened as they dug deeper into his flesh. A pair of bright yellow eyes opened and bore into his. The man reached for his dagger again to kill the young Khajiit when something else caught his eye. Numerous little sparks of light danced around the small creature’s claws. When one spark touched the man’s foot, he screamed out in pain.

Instantly, the silence outside was ripped apart. Voices shouted, rusty iron was drawn out of leather scabbards. The man bent down and grabbed the Khajiit around the neck. He pulled the child away from his foot and held it up in front of his face.
,,Now look what you’ve done. I’d hoped to do this without being discovered.” He whispered hatefully. His expression softened somewhat, turning into a calculating one.
,,Hmm, your will is unusual. A child, barely a few months old and already you’ve achieved a level most Redguards can only dream about. And your fur, it’s the perfect camouflage during the night. Finally, you show the desire to kill.” He wrapped his cloak around the little bundle of fur.
,,Yes, I think that training you will be very profitable.” He spoke, louder this time. He then burst out of the hut and vanished into the night, dashing past the confused Khajiit before they knew what was among them.

Ra’trith awoke from his nap.
,,You took me with you to Cheydinhall and taught me every trick you know.” He spoke without a sound. He looked at his claws.
,,Yet somewhere during your training, I lost the ability to form the sparks that caused you so much pain. Was this a deliberate action on your part? I was more dangerous to you then than I am now. Did you make me lose that talent so I would be unable to hurt you?”

He got up and stretched his muscles.
,,I’ll relearn it. Only better this time. You will die Vincente, and I will be the bringer of your doom.” He promised. Ra’trith then wrapped his black cloak around him and climbed onto the roof from where he could lower himself into an alley. He walked swiftly across the street. His plan was to leave the city as soon as possible. It would really surprise him if he wasn’t a wanted man yet, especially in the city where he nearly claimed the Emperor’s life.

A large group of people had gathered in front of one particular wall. The Khajiit walked over to join them and looked at the large Wanted notice pinned to the wall. He grinned in amusement.
,,Why did they drew my ears so big? What do they think I am, a rabbit?” He stopped grinning when a pair of Bretons pointed at him and began to whisper amongst themselves, obviously under the illusion that he hadn’t noticed them. Ra’trith calmly walked over to them.
,,Is something the matter?” He asked with his most pleasant voice. The effect was still better suited to instil fear than to cause a feeling of friendliness.

,,Oh no, not at all. We were just looking at the picture up there and noticed that your fur colour shows some resemblance. Just a coincidence, we’re sure.” The couple told him nervously. Around them, a gap was created which made the Bretons even more nervous. Ra’trith gave them one of his favourite snarls.
,,Just a coincidence indeed. That sketch is so wrong. The ears are to big for one thing and those eyes, much too far apart. The information they’ve put underneath is far from sufficient as well. They forgot the destruction of the shrine of Talos.” He told them, looking them in the face. His nose caught the heavy smell of their fear.

He leaned in closer.
,,Now I would be more than willing to kill you. However, I am on a tight schedule and don’t have time to loiter and enjoy the simple pleasures of murder. If you value the life of your guardsmen, you won’t send them after me. Have a nice day.” He whispered in their ear and walked away through the crowd.

,,And here’s the Roseworks office. From here, you should be able to get a ride with a caravan to Valenwood.” Erinus said and hugged the little Bosmer.
,,Good luck.” She added.
,,Sure, thanks for the leg again. Bye.” Rajn replied and went inside.

The Roseworks office was dimly lit by only a few candles, creating large and deep shadows. Rajn closed her eyes and counted to ten slowly, still standing in the doorframe. While she wasn’t on the verge of panicking anymore, she still suffered from claustrophobia. Having calmed her mind, she walked over to the counter and leaned heavily on the wood. The girl wrinkled her nose as she caught sight of the large amount of wood that had been used in the interior.
,,Barbarians.”

An aging Imperial with a really big nose looked up from his notebook.
,,Can I help you?” He asked with the bored voice of a man who only offered to help because he got paid for it.
,,I want to book passage to Valenwood.” The Bosmer replied uneasily. The bored tone combined with the dark shadows and the heavy use of wood made her nervous.

With deliberately slowed movements, the clerk retrieved a map of Valenwood from the rack behind him.
,,Where exactly in Valenwood?” He inquired.
,,Anywhere, though Fallinesti would be best.” Rajn answered with a shrug. Now the Imperial picked up a quill and began to fill in a form.
,,This form will grant you permission to join our caravans. Just show it to the caravan master and you’ll be on your way before you know it. What’s your name?”

,,Rajn Treesap.” The clerk retreated into a back room, muttering something about placing a stamp on the form. From one of the shadows behind the Bosmer came an Argonian whose red scales matched his red clothes.
,,Step outside.” He ordered the girl. When she didn’t respond immediately, he revealed a dagger and pressed the tip against her back.
,,Now.” He hissed with a heavy accent.

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Feb 1 2007, 01:14 AM
Post #51

Master
Group Icon

Ahhh, our Khajiit has a history with Vincente. It definitely doesn't seem to be the happy type either. Way to take the advice you mentioned in Malpense's story about slowly revealing tidbits about the character.

Excellent work!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Malpense the Dark
post Feb 1 2007, 03:36 AM
Post #52

Retainer

Great stuff Jack. Can't wait for more!

--------------------
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Feb 1 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #53

Master
Group Icon

Chapter 3: Threads rebound.

With the dagger pressing into her back, there was little she could do but to go outside as he’d told her.
,,What’s go…” Her question was rudely interrupted by the dagger which pressed a bit harder, nearly penetrating her clothes.
,,Silence!” The Argonian hissed in her ear. He led her into one of Cyrodiil’s many alleys. When the pressure of the dagger onto her back ceased, she turned around. The scaled creature was comfortably leaning against the dirty wall, still holding the dagger loosely.
,,Now, we’ll wait for a while. Don’t speak if you value your life.” He warned her.

After a few tense and silent minutes that seemed to drag on with each heartbeat lasting an age, the distinct sound of heavy boots hitting cobblestones drew closer. Moving faster than she’d ever expected, the Argonian pressed his hand against her forehead and spoke an incantation.
,,Ocsdros, Jike bei.” A greenish cloud of smoke poured from the hand and engulfed the Bosmer. Rajn coughed loudly when she inhaled some of the smoke in her surprise.
,,What was that? Stay here, I’m going to take a look.” A deep voice spoke from somewhere on the streets.

The Argonian placed himself against the wall again.
,,No matter what happens, don’t move, talk or touch anything. If you disobey, you die.” He told his captive and scraped some dirt from between his claws with the dagger. Just a moment later, a heavily armed Legionnaire entered the dark alley. His eyes instantly shot to the Argonian who looked back at the Imperial with a blank expression.
,,You there, Argonian. What are you doing here?” The man asked sharply. The Argonian tucked the dagger between his belt and shrugged.
,,Shade-Sitter just trying to stay out of the hot sun. Sun hot, yes. Very hot.” He answered with an even heavier accent than before.

The Legionnaire was obviously not used to dealing with the lizard-like creature.
,,Right. Anyway, we’re looking for someone. Nothing important but did something come through here recently? Something that came out of the Roseworks office just down the street over there?” The Imperial soldier looked down the alley, incidentally locking eyes with Rajn who held her breath, feeling cold sweat of fear trickle down her neck. Somehow, the man failed to see her, even though she was standing right in front of him and so nearby that he only had to reach out with his hand to touch her nose.

The Argonian positioned himself between them, hiding her small frame with his own considerably larger mass. It was now that Rajn got a glimpse of the heavy muscles that hid underneath his robe. This only made her even more frightened. He could easily realize his threats.
,,Just arrest the guy, please. He wants to kill me!” She thought.

,,Shade-Sitter saw a few rats here. Big rats. Shade-Sitter hungry so he ate them. Shade-Sitter hopes that iron man is not angry with him.” The Argonian said. The man obviously thought that he was dealing with some incredibly dumb creature now.
,,Rats are bad umm…..Shade-Sitter can eat rats anytime he likes.” Having said those awkward words, the Legionnaire turned on his heels and fled the alley. His voice could be heard one more time.
,,Nothing, just a dumb lizard. Looks like the old guy won’t get his reward then. Let’s move on.” The sound of heavy boots hitting cobblestones became progressively weaker as the two Legionnaires walked away from the alley.

Shade-Sitter turned around, grabbed his captive by the arm and dragged her towards the end of the alley. There, he knocked on a door three times.
,,Who bothers a poor fisherman?” A rasping voice asked from the other side of the wooden door.
,,Someone who fishes in the dark and murky waters for odd fish.” The Argonian replied. The door creaked loudly as it was opened. The owner of the rasping voice stood in the doorframe. His body was clearly not that of a fisherman. Countless scars marred his arms and the Waraxe in his hand had seen its fair share of use as well.
,,Marsh, get in quickly.” He whispered and stepped out of the way. The Argonian entered the small room, pushing Rajn out in front of him.

He didn’t speak till the door had been closed again. Once again, he pressed his hand against the Bosmer’s forehead. This time, a soothing mist covered her. The fisherman’s eyes shot towards the unexpected guest.
,,Explain.” He ordered the Argonian while still looking at the girl.
,,I will. Please, take a seat.” The creature offered and sat down himself. Once everyone was seated, he began his explanation.

,,I am Marsh-Speaker, though you may call me Marsh. Miss Treesap, I am simply stunned by your complete lack of common sense.” He hissed sharply.
,,What common sense?” The Bosmer snapped back. She’d just come to the conclusion that she wouldn’t be killed in the end. With the reason for her fear gone, anger took its place. The man and the Argonian glanced at the door nervously.
,,Shh, keep your voice down. There are many unwanted ears in this place.” The scarred giant warned. Rajn jumped up out of her seat and slammed her fists down on the table.
,,In the last few days, I’ve been forced to crawl out of a pit in the ground! I’ve been humiliated, intimidated and I even nearly got eaten! Then, just when I was about to go home, you come along! Now I’ve been poked, threatened and nearly choked with some greenish smoke! And now you try to make nasty comments about my common sense? I’ll let you know that I’m seriously pissed right now!” She screamed at the top of her lungs.

Her captors glanced at the door again.
,,Maybe we should gag her.” The fisherman whispered. Marsh held up his hand, both to stop the Bosmer’s tirade as to dissuade his friend from his plan.
,,I apologize if I hurt your feelings. Allow me to explain my actions. Miss Treesap, you have been put on the Emperor’s black list after escaping from his supposedly escape-proof prison. As such, he’s put a price on your head and spread your name among those who might get in touch with you. The clerk was one of these people. When he learned of your name, he went out to call the nearest guard in the hope of getting the reward for your capture. If I let things play out, you would’ve been arrested and most likely, executed.” Marsh leaned back in his seat, the Argonian equivalent of a smug expression on his face.

,,Since you were unwilling to save yourself, I forced to come with me. In the alley, I cast an invisibility spell on you so that the guard was unable to see you. Now, you’re here in what is probably one of the safest places this city has to offer.” He looked amused at seeing her anger diminish and turning into regret and shame.
,,Ah, sorry. So, I owe you my life? Thanks.” Rajn apologized and sat down again.
,,All I wanted was to go home. Is that too much to ask?” She complained to no one in particular.

,,The borders with Valenwood and Elsweyr have been sealed off. The only way to get to Valenwood now is through Argonia. A perilous undertaking, I may add. In short, Valenwood is out of your reach for the moment. Perhaps in a few months, you can return. Till then, you’ll have to hide.” The fisherman commented. He then turned to his Argonian companion.
,,That prison, is it the same one as?” He asked with a frown. Marsh nodded.
,,Yes, the same prison where Tamriel’s champion was locked. Excuse me for asking, miss Treesap, but did you perhaps meet an Imperial, quite young?”

Rajn thought about the question for a moment.
,,Call me Rajn, please. The Treesap part was just because I needed a last name for dealing with the Empire. Well, I never manage to tell one of the manraces from the next but yes, I did meet a young man. In fact, he’s the one who opened the door. Called himself the Champion. He left along a different path. That was a few days ago.” She answered meekly. The Argonian bared his teeth.
,,Days, it is as we feared. His escape began not days, but weeks ago. I have to find out what happened to him.” He whispered.
,,I’m going to the sewers tonight. And I’m taking Rajn with me.” He informed the fisherman. The large man nodded and withdrew a curtain that hung in a corner. A crack was visible, leading underground.
,,Get in there.” He said resolutely.

Rajn looked at the small crack.
,,In there? I don’t like being underground. It’s so cramped and I just can’t stand it. Sitting in this room is hard enough.” She stammered, her claustrophobia striking hard. Marsh’s tail wagged from side to side.
,,Don’t worry, the basement is actually quite large. The ceiling is higher as well.”

As he’d already predicted, the basement was much larger than the small room upstairs. The interior also formed a stark contrast with the fisherman’s hut. Not a single septim was spared in filling the room. Countless racks stood among the walls, alcoves were filled with various suits of armour.
,,The Emperor is not the only one with access to hidden resources. Unlike him though, we can’t afford anything really expensive such as Ebony. Everything you find here can be bought at the smith in the city though here, no one will know of your ‘purchase’.” Marsh spoke with pride. He gestured at a sturdy bow placed on a table, next to a quiver of arrows.

,,I assume that this item will be of the most interest to you. You can practise on the target at the far side of the room. I suggest you get your marksmanship back while you still can. Tonight’s trip will be fraught with danger.” He advised as he browsed through the large selection of weaponry. In the end, he settled for a simple wooden staff lined with silver. He procured a blueish orb from a chest and mounted it on the staff to form the headpiece. He held out the staff and the orb began to glow. When he gestured with his hand, a lone dagger lifted up into the air. Satisfied, he lowered the dagger and put his staff against the wall. A moment later, the room was filled with the sound of loud snoring, with the occasional twang of a bowstring.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Malpense the Dark
post Feb 1 2007, 10:19 PM
Post #54

Retainer

Ahh, the plot thickens! Who are these people who wish to help our escapees? And where does the Champion of the Empire fit into it all? Good to hear from you Jack, keep up the good work!

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Feb 1 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #55

Master
Group Icon

Well if I remember correctly, the Champion of Tamriel is now a corpse, so I'm sure these Argonians aren't going to be too happy once they discover this. Here's hoping they don't get into too much trouble. But then, how would that make the next update any good? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post Feb 2 2007, 12:33 AM
Post #56

Master
Group Icon

Oh, he's a lot less than a corpse, remember MM? That Khajiit turned into a werewolf and ate him! evillol.gif
+Quote Post
canis216
post Feb 2 2007, 12:34 AM
Post #57

Knower
Group Icon

Indeed, the plots do thicken. There is so very much going on here--it's great!

--------------------
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 2 2007, 11:51 PM
Post #58

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Jackie! You´re a post-machine as well.....oh yeah...great work you have here......great work!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Feb 3 2007, 12:01 AM
Post #59

Master
Group Icon

Hmm, I don't hold the record at postmachining though. (Heh, it has evolved into a word of its own. Cool.)
Anyway, it's time for some fun!

The day had ended and now the moons dominated the skies. As the warmth of the day fled the land, the night reached out with its cold fingers. Cyrodiil’s citizens had fled into their homes. Where during the day one had to shout to get over the chorus of countless voices, now one could hear the rustle of a leaf falling. Guards patrolled the empty streets with torches in their hand.

The guards were not the only ones out on the streets. A cloaked man moved carefully from shadow to shadow, a spear tied to his back. The light of a torch gave away the approach of a guard. The man made himself as small as possible and waited till the guard had passed. After that, he dashed across the plaza and jumped down the well, using the hanging rope to control his descent.

Ra’trith stood on the walls of an abandoned fort. Beneath him, the corpses of a goblin tribe were littered around the courtyard. He was facing west, towards Cheydinhall.
,,Vincente.” He breathed into the wind. He turned to the east. He could just see the walls of Chorrol on the horizon.
,,I’ll go east, far away from here. Perhaps to Hammerfell. The Dark Brotherhood must be willing to take me in. My skills are too valuable for them to let go.”

On the southern side of the city, a rope fell down from the city wall. Marsh looked around.
,,The coast is clear. Get down there.” He told his Bosmer companion. Rajn wasted no time in sliding down the rope. Marsh followed once she was clear. He left the rope hanging from the walls and led the way to the sewer entrance. The entrance itself was a large circular opening in the rocky island with a grating to keep out any unwanted guests. Trash, organic waste and a few fish completed the scene. Beyond the opening, there was only darkness.

The Argonian retrieved a small key from his pocket and removed the lock on the grating, making sure he didn’t cause any noise. With his care to remain silent, it took over a minute before he’d swung the grating open far enough to pass through. He slipped through and waited on the other side for Rajn. The Bosmer took a step back and fiddled nervously with an arrow.
,,I don’t want to go in there. Last time I nearly got killed.” She said with a quivering voice. Marsh stood motionless for a moment, his eyes lighting up red in the darkness. He then nodded.
,,As you wish. Stay outside then and make sure that no one enters the sewers.” He whispered and was about to venture into the darkness when he felt a hand tugging at his sleeve.
,,Just why do you keep me around?” Rajn asked. She felt much more confident now that she didn’t had to face the sewers.

,,To tell you the truth, I don’t know. It simply….felt like the best plan at the time. Now be quiet, I might be gone for a while.” He pulled himself free and vanished. Behind him, the circle of light that was the exit shrank rapidly and soon it vanished completely when he rounded a corner.

Marsh slowed down. He strained his ears, trying to catch another sound beyond the slow dripping of water. Nothing. He brought his hands in front of his face.
,,Ocsdros, Jike bei.” He chanted softly. After the dark smoke had evaporated, he was truly invisible in the darkness. He gently lowered himself into the water till he was completely submerged.
,,Second passage, right. Continue till the waterflow reverses. Take the first passage to the left three times.” He had memorized the directions from his earlier visit and could quite literally find his destination with his eyes closed. His tail swept from side to side and propelled him forwards underwater.

After a short swim, the tunnel appeared to come to an abrupt end. He rose out of the water as slow as he entered it, to prevent any sound. This far away from the entrance, the only source of light would be an artificial one. Marsh took out his staff and held it above his head. As the orb at the tip began to glow, his eyes began to see. He was standing in front of a solid wall. Or rather, what looked like a solid wall. The Argonian stepped forward till his snout nearly touched the bricks. Then, he stepped through the illusion, feeling a tingling sensation run down his spine.

The light from his staff filled the small tomblike chamber. This was exactly what this place was. A tomb. On a crude altar lay the rotten corpse of someone. The flesh had been effected so much by the process of decay that it was impossible to tell race or even gender. With a slight snort of revulsion, the Argonian put laid a hand on the corpse’s heart. His hand and his entire body appeared to gleam with a white light as he chanted his spell.
,,Mertar, Bile hert, gert, oise.” The light focussed under his hand. He stepped back and watched how the shining sphere began to grow and change shape.

Arms grew from its sides, its lower side became a pair of delicate feet hidden by a swirling translucent dress. Finally, a head formed on top. What was first a sphere of Magicka was now the ghostly illusion of a beautiful yet troubled woman. Marsh knelt in front of the altar.
,,Lady Silmane, I apologize for this disturbance. I know that your powers are limited.” He apologized to the unearthly being. The woman gave him a friendly smile.
,,Don’t worry yourself. I know you would never come without a good reason. I believe I know your reason for coming and disturbing my slumber.”

Her face grew sad.
,,It has been weeks since we opened the door to the Champion’s cell. It saddens me to tell you, but he no longer walks this world. Talin, my old friend, died. With his death, the threads of prophecy have been severed. Now Tamriel is truly lost.” A tear ran down her ethereal face. Marsh didn’t notice. He was shocked by the news and simply stared ahead with blank eyes.
,,The Champion, the chosen one. Death? Now who will destroy the traitor? If the hero is gone, then who can take his place?”

Only after a long time did he regain knowledge of his surroundings. With a brusque motion, he picked up his staff which he’d put against the wall earlier.
,,I’ve been here for too long. Just tell me, quickly, is there another way? Another man to take his role, another Champion to finish what he started? Please, lady Silmane. Tell me.” He whispered urgently. Silmane shook her head.

,,I don’t know everything. How would that be possible, if it was I who was foolish enough to be in love with the traitor till the moment he struck me down? I only know of one way to find your answer.” She held out a hand. In her palm, a key took form, a key inscribed with runes in a language that was no longer used by the living. Marsh held out his own scaly hand and caught it the moment it became solid enough to fall through the ghost’s hand.
,,There is an old passage into the palace. You must remember it from our explorations when we were children. You must go there and find a way to the blind monks. They have not yet been corrupted. They’ll help you. Ask them your question. Perhaps the scrolls will reveal your path. Farewell, I hope you’ll remain safe.” The ghost of Silmane dissolved. Marsh looked at the key in his hand and placed it inside his pocket.
,,I will succeed, lady. I will, for the sake of Tamriel.”

He turned around and stepped through the illusion once more. The light cast by his staff reflected on polished steel. A black hand flashed into his sight before hitting him on the snout. As he fell backwards through the illusionary wall, he dropped his staff and the orb shattered on the hard floor, thereby removing the only source of light. Marsh saw nothing. With one hand, he clutched his bruised head. The other, he held outstretched in a useless attempt to ward of his assailant.
,,I’ve gotten careless. This might end with my death. No, I can’t!” He thought frantically, trying to find a way to escape. He heard the sound of a sword leaving its scabbard.

--------------------
+Quote Post
canis216
post Feb 3 2007, 03:15 AM
Post #60

Knower
Group Icon

This is getting quite exciting... 'tis a bit of a cliffhanger, but it's a wonderful cliffhanger.

--------------------
+Quote Post

11 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:50 PM