77 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The gun thread
mirocu
post Oct 28 2015, 04:54 PM
Post #1

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I have had guns for about fifteen years due to us having a plot of land on which to hunt for moose and deer. However I have always had a bigger interest in the shooting part than the hunting part, and since I came across hickok45 on youtube that interest has gotten new life.

I just love how he does it. Instead of only shooting moose paper targets like we do here, he shoots at flower pots, car doors, metal figures and 2 liter soda cans etc. I quickly realized that's what I want to do too though unfortunately I have limited abilities since our plot of land is shaped the way it is which is quite narrow with neighbours not too far away. But I did put up a few brick targets earlier this fall and had a go on them with my .30-06 semi-auto, and it really was such a fun way of shooting! Though needless to say, that round is pretty expensive and I may go look for a smaller caliber in the near future.

This is one instance where I kinda wish I was a Murican. Our views on guns here is they should only be used on paper targets or clay pigeons and for hunting and it should only be done to better ourselves. Just having fun like this or defend ourselves simply doesn't exist here which is a shame. But I'll do my part to change that... biggrin.gif

So if kiln anyone would like to chime in on the subject of shooting for fun, please do!

This post has been edited by mirocu: Apr 8 2018, 11:16 AM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Oct 28 2015, 05:06 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

I've shot guns for fun. I went to the range a few times to shoot back home. My step-father had three guns, including a shotgun. I shot some rifles and went bird hunting in Ohio too. Fun times.

Now I can't say I owe any guns. They're extremely hard to purchase in the country I'm in. But I dream about it every day. Funny you made this thread. A few hours ago a worker here saw me trying to poison the pigeons that live in my roof. I told him if the poison doesn't work I'm going to need a pellet gun. I also had the fear the stray dogs would get to the poison and eat it, so I wanted to spare the mutts. I love dogs. But the flying rats is another story . . . I do wish I had a real one so I can blast those pests. But, well, a pellet gun it is.

Which country are you from by the way? Back home, as you know, us Americans love guns. It is deeply rooted in our culture. In Brazil, they believe only police should have them. Funny thing is yesterday they just passed a new project that allows common citizens to conceal carry, and brought the age to legally buy a gun from 25 down to 21. But that's another story.

I like guns. For recreational purposes, and of course, for self-defense. And right now . . . for blasting pigeons.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 28 2015, 05:17 PM
Post #3

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Oct 28 2015, 05:06 PM) *

Which country are you from by the way?

Suezia!

And yeah, I do know the American view on guns. I would love to get my hands on an AR15, a 1911 and the classic Colt .45 single action! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Oct 28 2015, 05:06 PM) *

I like guns. For recreational purposes, and of course, for self-defense. And right now . . . for blasting pigeons.

They do have a practial role for sure.

I kinda wish there were better opportunites here to shoot like hickok45 does. Ill try and see what I can do at our place regarding good open spaces where I can shoot with safety in mind. I like the idea of shooting whenever I want, not setting the alarm clock on Sunday mornings to go to the shooting range, something I can only do a few short weeks in the fall, btw.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 28 2015, 06:07 PM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

Here in Detroit people shoot guns all the time. Usually at other people though! laugh.gif New Years Eve in The D is great. Everyone pulls out their guns and starts shooting. You hear handguns, shotguns, rifles, automatics...

I have gone shooting shotguns a few times. It was a long time ago, but a lot of fun. I would love to own a .45 ACP and/or an M4 Carbine. But it is so much work. You have to go to a store, fill out forms, etc... I don't live in the country, so the only way I can actually go shooting (without being arrested) is to go out to a gun range. Then afterward you have to clean the guns. It's just so much effort, and I am so lazy... biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jul 28 2017, 10:43 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 28 2015, 06:12 PM
Post #5

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 28 2015, 06:07 PM) *

I would love to own a .45 ACP and/or an M4 Carbine. But it is so much work. You have to go to a store, fill out forms, etc... I don't live in the country, so the only way I can actually go shooting (without being arrested) is to go out to a gun range. Then afterward you have to clean the guns. It's just so much effort, and I am so lazy... biggrin.gif

Too lazy!? You can get those guns but youre too lazy!?? ohmy.gif Here its impossible to get those guns no matter what you do, and you dare to be lazy?? GET OUT AND GET THEM NOW OR ILL KICK YOU OUT OF THIS THREAD!!

laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 28 2015, 06:50 PM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 28 2015, 01:07 PM) *

Here is Detroit people shoot guns all the time. Usually at other people though! laugh.gif New Years Eve in The D is great. Everyone pulls out there guns and starts shooting. You hear handguns, shotguns, rifles, automatics...

I have gone shooting shotguns a few times. It was a long time ago, but a lot of fun. I would love to own a .45 ACP and/or an M4 Carbine. But it is so much work. You have to go to a store, fill out forms, etc... I don't live in the country, so the only way I can actually go shooting (without being arrested) is to go out to a gun range. Then afterward you have to clean the guns. It's just so much effort, and I am so lazy... biggrin.gif

Here it is on the 4th of July, their own special brand of fireworks for those who don't want to buy all the bottle rockets/etc. = drunk men shooting into the air with every gun in their arsenal, laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 3 2015, 03:27 PM
Post #7

Spam Meister
Group Icon

The next gun on my wishlist would be the MP5. Such a neat little gun and Im just a sucker for full auto guns tongue.gif Apparently it fires 10mm which is a nice caliber so if I could get this, I would have so much fun biggrin.gif

This video with hickok45 displays this gun for anyone interested

If only I was a Murican...

-Hey, Acadian, mALX or kiln. Anyone want a new neighbour...? biggrin.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 3 2015, 04:10 PM
Post #8

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 3 2015, 09:27 AM) *

The next gun on my wishlist would be the MP5. Such a neat little gun and Im just a sucker for full auto guns tongue.gif Apparently it fires 10mm which is a nice caliber so if I could get this, I would have so much fun biggrin.gif

This video with hickok45 displays this gun for anyone interested

If only I was a Murican...

-Hey, Acadian, mALX or kiln. Anyone want a new neighbour...? biggrin.gif laugh.gif

I've been throwing bird seed in the air hoping to attract you to my yard, but all I got was a flock of pigeons, laugh.gif

PS: I prefer semi-automatics. (just in case you hit the trigger accidentally, don't want to blow your whole clip, lol).

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 3 2015, 04:14 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 3 2015, 04:20 PM
Post #9

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 3 2015, 04:10 PM) *

I've been throwing bird seed in the air hoping to attract you to my yard, but all I got was a flock of pigeons, laugh.gif

Yeah, thats why I didnt bother. I just knew theyd get to it before me anyway tongue.gif

I prefer semi-automatics. (just in case you hit the trigger accidentally, don't want to blow your whole clip, lol).

Not many guns are fully automatic only, and neither is the MP5. I like the semi-auto mode too, good for picking a target here and there.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 3 2015, 04:28 PM
Post #10

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 3 2015, 10:20 AM) *

Yeah, thats why I didnt bother. I just knew theyd get to it before me anyway tongue.gif

I prefer semi-automatics. (just in case you hit the trigger accidentally, don't want to blow your whole clip, lol).

Not many guns are fully automatic only, and neither is the MP5. I like the semi-auto mode too, good for picking a target here and there.

My 9mm was semi-automatic. You could squeeze it once and get 1-5 bullets to unload from the clip; but if you squeezed and held it would empty the clip (about 18 hollowpoints).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Nov 4 2015, 09:18 AM
Post #11

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Semi-automatics are required to have a disconnector in the trigger group that resets the trigger every time the slide or bolt cycles. Which means one shot per trigger pull. Any time you have a gun that fires more than once when you hold the trigger and you didn't fill out government paperwork and go through a lengthy background check, you need to get it checked out because something is wrong.

Here in the US if your semi automatic gun fires full auto consistently, you need to get it fixed because if you know it is doing it and intentionally don't repair it, you can be charged with illegally possessing a machinegun. Burst fire weapons (2+ shots per single trigger pull) are also considered machineguns and are heavily regulated.

As for the trigger being hit accidentally, the best part about following the three NRA safety rules is that if you screw up one the others will still protect you. For instance if you bump the trigger but the gun is not pointed in an unsafe direction, it won't injure anyone. A properly secured gun should not pose any risk of this happening anyways, although if you're not careful, injury is always a major possibility.

I own quite a few firearms that I use for sport shooting from clays to paper targets including a semi automatic AK, two bolt action WW2 era rifles, several shotguns, and a decent collection of handguns. I dislike killing anything so I don't generally hunt, although I have killed quite a few pests like armadillos and snakes. When I'm not out on a range I keep only one handgun loaded and placed up high on top of the gun cabinet for self defense, which I hope I never need.

Guns can be a lot of fun, an interesting hobby, and completely safe as long as you practice safe handling and keep your gun out of the reach of anyone who shouldn't have access to it.

I really wish that people everywhere were allowed to at least own rimfire rifles and handguns. While still dangerous, they are much less lethal than centerfire guns and are still great for target shooting and pest control. I feel like it is unfortunate that most people learn about guns from movies and tv, which almost exclusively sends the wrong message, which is that guns are only for bad guys and cops. It often also teaches unsafe handling and glorifies violence.

I'd post a picture or two of some of my favorite firearms but I'm not sure if anyone would be upset by it, especially the site's admins.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 6 2015, 07:17 PM
Post #12

Councilor
Group Icon

Speaking of fun with guns, I had some car windows shot out last night. Anyone need to confess? nono.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 6 2015, 07:46 PM
Post #13

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 6 2015, 01:17 PM) *

Speaking of fun with guns, I had some car windows shot out last night. Anyone need to confess? nono.gif

embarrased.gif Er...not me...

whistling.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 6 2015, 07:47 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 6 2015, 09:54 PM
Post #14

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Nov 4 2015, 09:18 AM) *

I really wish that people everywhere were allowed to at least own rimfire rifles and handguns. While still dangerous, they are much less lethal than centerfire guns and are still great for target shooting and pest control.

I completely agree with you about guns on film; if they didnt portray them like that it wouldnt be so difficult to get a license.

QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 6 2015, 07:17 PM) *

I heard a guy on the radio one time. He was so sick of his car that one day he took it to a safe location and just pumped the whole side of it full of lead with a shotgun! laugh.gif

And no, I dont need to confess anything.. wink.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Mar 8 2016, 09:01 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Kiln
post Nov 8 2015, 06:19 AM
Post #15

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 6 2015, 06:17 PM) *

If you didn't hear it, it was with a BB/Pellet gun. Almost guaranteed to be teenagers. You can buy a BB gun when you're 18 but lots of people buy BB guns for their immature kids (which they never supervise) who use them for vandalism.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 10 2015, 04:18 PM
Post #16

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Id very much like to get a .22, both rifle and pistol/revolver. But since apparently pistols and revolvers are the most dangerous things on the face of the Earth (in my country anyway) its extremely difficult to get them so thats out of the question. A rifle .22 is almost as hard to get a license for but at least I have a shot rollinglaugh.gif at it so Im definitely gonna try get it. And I want it to be a semi-auto smile.gif

hickok45 having some fun at the range

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 10 2015, 04:21 PM
Post #17

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 10 2015, 10:18 AM) *

Id very much like to get a .22, both rifle and pistol/revolver. But since apparently pistols and revolvers are the most dangerous things on the face of the Earth (in my country anyway) its extremely difficult to get them so thats out of the question. A rifle .22 is almost as hard to get a license for but at least I have a shot rollinglaugh.gif at it so Im definitely gonna try get it. And I want it to be a semi-auto smile.gif

hickok45 having some fun at the range

That vid isn't playing for me. But ... isn't a 22 rifle known as ... a SQUIRREL GUN????????

GAAAAAAAAH !!!!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 10 2015, 04:22 PM
Post #18

Spam Meister
Group Icon

The link works for me mellow.gif

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 10 2015, 04:21 PM) *

That vid isn't playing for me. But ... isn't a 22 rifle known as ... a SQUIRREL GUN????????

GAAAAAAAAH !!!!!!!

Oops. Ive been found out... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 10 2015, 07:37 PM
Post #19

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 10 2015, 10:22 AM) *

The link works for me mellow.gif

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 10 2015, 04:21 PM) *

GAAAAAAAAH !!!!!!!

Oops. Ive been found out... biggrin.gif

verysad.gif

IPB Image

dry.gif

*mALX turns green and grows to giant proportions*

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 10 2015, 10:19 PM
Post #20

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Calm down. I only hunt evil squirrels laugh.gif

-Hey, hickok! Glad to see you visiting me, but could you please stop shooting all my soda tongue.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Nov 12 2015, 03:37 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post

77 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:32 PM