I'm terrified of them. [ 1 ] ** [2.70%]
Total Votes: 37
Guests cannot vote 
Decrepit
post Mar 25 2017, 02:41 PM
Post #41

Master
Group Icon

Woke to no electricity just before 0400 this morning, 25 Mar 17. A landline call to Entergy revealed that power went out at 0107, and was expected to be restored by 0730. There was nothing for it but to stay in bed and read by the light of two very weak candles. Come 0745, still without electricity, I called again. Now we were expected to be without until around noon due "extensive damage" to Entergy equipment. Back to bed for more eyesight-worsening reading. At about 0815 I discovered my bed alarm-clock time display flashing. Got up, reset the three clocks that needed it, turned on the computer. Here I am.

Not sure what happened. Last time I checked weather last night we were under thread of strong winds but nothing worse. No damage to the homes/yards around me that I can see.

Oddly, as I was typing this Entergy called to let me know that damage is worse than expected, and that restoration time is now unknown.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 25 2017, 04:00 PM
Post #42

Spam Meister
Group Icon

We get small outages from time to time without any severe weather at all. Part of living in the countryside where everything is neglected indifferent.gif

Hopefully you'll get stable electricity soon enough so that The Tireless Crusader™ can resume his patrols without interruption smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 25 2017, 09:22 PM
Post #43

Master
Group Icon

What a day! After posting my previous contribution I decided to play a little Wiz7. Finished that and found I couldn't reach any web sites. The router verified DSL was dead. So was the entire phone line. No internet for me until about circa 1500.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Mar 28 2017, 12:20 PM
Post #44

Master
Group Icon

News is saying we're about to get some storms...YAY!!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 28 2017, 02:31 PM
Post #45

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Mar 25 2017, 03:22 PM) *

What a day! After posting my previous contribution I decided to play a little Wiz7. Finished that and found I couldn't reach any web sites. The router verified DSL was dead. So was the entire phone line. No internet for me until about circa 1500.

We were under threat of severe storms much of yesterday, 27 Mar 2017. Thankfully, aside from fairly constant "normal" spring T-storms little came of it locally except some too-close-for-comfort lightning strikes at around lunchtime, and lots of rain for a brief period afterward. Today is our one good weather day. Both tomorrow and Thursday are stormy, with chance of sever storms.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 28 2017, 03:33 PM
Post #46

Ancient
Group Icon

Ja, it rained pretty much all day for us yesterday. Some thunder and lightning but nothing too serious.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 30 2017, 11:07 AM
Post #47

Master
Group Icon

Whew...

We had a chance for some nasty weather from yesterday late evening on through mid morning today. Nothing came of it locally. Very bad stuff down Texas way yesterday, and to our west (Oklahoma). Thankfully the worst of it petered out before reaching us. The storm front's western edge is now just to our east, heading eastward, with the potentially severe stuff all east of the Mississippi.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 27 2017, 01:29 AM
Post #48

Master
Group Icon

Another potentially scary storm night. So far it hasn't gone badly, certainly less scary than was predicted. We were under a Severe Storm Warning until a bit ago. It's now been downgraded to a Watch, the worst of the storms having moved to our east. Still under a Flash Floor Warning for another 30min or so. A town 10 miles to our west has indeed suffered flooding. The area around my house looks no worse (so far) that what one would expect during heavy rains.

Tomorrow is expected to be a decent day. Bad weather moves in again Friday, and last through the weekend. As of now at least one of those three days has the potential for severe storms.

Bloody Spring!

Bah! Now Friday - Sunday are all three flagged for potential severe storms.

Bloody Spring! I'll take the heat of summer any day, except when I have to mow that lawn. Forget that! (As if I could.) Far fewer severe storm threats during summer.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Apr 27 2017, 03:38 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 28 2017, 04:01 PM
Post #49

Master
Group Icon

Flash Flood Watch from now through Sunday, 30 Apr 2017. No other forms of severe weather are listed...yet. My weather site of choice shows a potential for severe storms all three days, but gives no further details. Too bad I can't ask my avatar to travel to my side of the screen and cast his Sheogorath weather changing spell at times like these. We could make a financial killing of that, up until non existent climate change screws things beyond the point of no return.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 28 2017, 04:02 PM
Post #50

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Stay safe, Decrepit! panic.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 30 2017, 10:01 AM
Post #51

Master
Group Icon

What a night, and it ain't over yet!

Fairly early yesterday evening, was at the computer (where else?) when electricity cut out maybe 10-20sec. Weather didn't seem bad at all, so I didn't think much of it. Restarted PC, hoping to continue work on my ill conceived Hamfat Hamkin pre-Crisis history project. Wouldn't boot into Windows. Rebooted and entered BIOS. Custom setting, of which I have a lot, wee reset to DEFAULT. Started reconfiguring settings. BLAM...electricity cut out...and stayed out. Reported outage to Entergy. A nice robot lady to me service would be restored circa 2230. Grabbed my emergency reading light and retired to bed. Soon received an update call...estimated repair now expected by midnight. Returned to bed. Did a bit of reading. Fell asleep, with weather still not appearing to be all that bad. Woke circa 0032 to no electricity. heavy rain, lots of thunder. City warning sirens soon came on and stayed on a LONG time. Not knowing exactly what was going on I dressed and returned to bed, hoping for the best. Sirens finally shut off and stayed off maybe ten minutes before kicking in again. Stayed on a long time. Electric finally restored a bit after 0200. Immediately turned on local TV station, which as expect was running constant weather coverage. By then my immediate area what not under immediate threat, but had been not long before, with strong rotation passing just north of the city. Torrential rains had fallen. More were/are expected before all is said and done. Another wave of severe storms is moving up from the south, bringing more tornado threats, torrential rains, chance of flooding, heaving lighting, hail, hard-line winds and so on. We're in a trough of calm at the moment, but it won't last long, unless the worst of the coming storm wave passes to our east as it travels north.

Turned on the computer. Reconfigured BIOS. Rebooted. Wouldn't boot into Windows. For whatever reason the BIOS had not remembered my Boot Device changes. Reconfigured. Rebooted. Wouldn't boot into Windows. BIOS had again not accepted Boot Device changes. Rinse and repeat a good 25min. At least, following another BIOS modification, Windows launched. Not sure why it worked that attempt but not before. Hope it's be okay from this point on. <crosses fingers>

TV station has resumed regular programming for now. A potential good sign?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 30 2017, 10:10 AM
Post #52

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Dearie me. Sounds like you have not had as calm an evening/night as I've had, Decrepit. I hope it won't get worse.

On your computer issue, while it's working as normal I strongly urge you to make as many backups as you can, of as many things that are important to you as you can. Worst case scenario you can just paste the info on to a new computer.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 30 2017, 11:04 AM
Post #53

Master
Group Icon

Weather coverage kicked back in. Bit of nastiness not far to our south, with strong rotation that looks like it might morph into a true tornado. On the plus side, if it stays on curse it'll pass a bit to our east as is moves north. Our worst thread is expected to be rains and flooding. We're under a warning now, and will remain so until around noon. There's been water evacuation along one river in our coverage area, but nothing local so far as I know.
QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 30 2017, 04:10 AM) *

Dearie me. Sounds like you have not had as calm an evening/night as I've had, Decrepit. I hope it won't get worse.

On your computer issue, while it's working as normal I strongly urge you to make as many backups as you can, of as many things that are important to you as you can. Worst case scenario you can just paste the info on to a new computer.
Luckily, I do have "reasonably" up-to-date backups of my OS partition, Oblivion partition, and a couple of other partitions. They could stand updating, but I wouldn't lose much of anything important should I need to restore those backups. Now, I DO need good up to date backups of a number of my data partitions. I've put that off far too long. Those are on a separate physical drive, so hopeful won't be affected should something toast my boot drive.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 30 2017, 05:12 PM
Post #54

Ancient
Group Icon

Yeah we are under tornado warnings in our area. Was really hoping the really hot weather we've been having lately was a signal that we were done with severe weather for now.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 30 2017, 05:40 PM
Post #55

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Apr 30 2017, 06:12 PM) *

Yeah we are under tornado warnings in our area. Was really hoping the really hot weather we've been having lately was a signal that we were done with severe weather for now.

We've had below zero every morning and close to zero during the day so I guess we're not out of the woods either? tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 30 2017, 05:45 PM
Post #56

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 30 2017, 11:40 AM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Apr 30 2017, 06:12 PM) *

We've had below zero every morning and close to zero during the day so I guess we're not out of the woods either? tongue.gif

No no 'Rocu, you have to have warm weather too! tongue.gif

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Apr 30 2017, 07:32 PM
Post #57

Master
Group Icon

Had a good one last night, my Dad has problems sleeping through them but I can sleep like a log through one.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 3 2017, 12:10 PM
Post #58

Master
Group Icon

We're still under flood warning and flash flood watch (or is it the reverse?), with over an inch of new rain expected today and half an inch tomorrow. That said, the worst threat is to those along certain rivers and/or low lying areas. I doubt I'll be in any serious danger, though with my house as close to the ground as it is that can't be taken for granted.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: May 3 2017, 12:10 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 19 2017, 11:52 PM
Post #59

Master
Group Icon

Oh oh...

We are now under a severe storm WARNING for the next 45min, with my town listed in the path. There was no hint of severe weather when I checked just prior to supper. Screwy days for sure, weather wise.

(The threat is expected to be damaging wind and hail. Tornadoes are not mentioned...yet.)

ADDENDUM: Our warning has expired....for now. More severe threats expected later tonight (and/or early tomorrow).

This post has been edited by Decrepit: May 20 2017, 12:24 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 27 2017, 12:18 PM
Post #60

Master
Group Icon

Yipes!

Decent size hail hitting the house (and my car). Thankfully it doesn't seem to be a pounding hail, which with luck will prevent damage to my property. (Of course with my hearing like it is hail might be hitting harder than I think.) Local TV hasn't interrupted normal programming to cover the threat, a good sign? On the other hand, my online weather site of choice shows the potential scariest part of this cell immediately west of my town heading east.

--------------------
+Quote Post

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:32 AM