Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Serene of Cyrodiil, chapter 7, Comfort is given, Justice is taken...
mplantinga
post Jun 9 2008, 04:21 PM
Post #21

Knower
Group Icon

Thanks for another intriguing update. I particularly enjoyed the interactions between Serene and Sethyas; I'm glad they are becoming better friends. I also liked the dream, apparently from Azura; it makes me look forward to the upcoming duel even more.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Jun 9 2008, 07:37 PM
Post #22

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

Cool! It's back! I've just read this through three times, and you know what? You still have that gift for making characters seem real and sympathetic. You've got me caring about Serene and now Sethyas Velas as well. I'm going to have to re-read Black Hand's story now as well. I'm so delighted it's back, and let's hope that the cursed writer's block stays far, far away from your door. smile.gif

MORE PLEASE!!!!
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Jun 10 2008, 09:10 PM
Post #23

Master
Group Icon

Hmm, Sethyas' words look a tad bit familiar to me! Great Update Minky, **Thumbs up smilie**
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jun 11 2008, 08:59 PM
Post #24

Master
Group Icon

What I like is that you so perfectly portray the characters as 3-dimensional- OK, so Seth is a cold-blooded assassin... but (as Black Hand himself has shown us), there is a reason he got that way. And he does have a heart- one that sometimes feels too much rather than too little. And you give life to the characters mostly through dialogue (showing rather than telling)- one of the hardest things for a writer to do.

The only critique I have is that there isn't enough of this great story- true to my always hungry hound-like nature, I want MORE!

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
minque
post Jun 28 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #25

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ok folks! Because you've waited patiently, I hereby give you a somewhat longer update. Even this one I will dedicate to Black Hand.....guess why?? biggrin.gif . Also I'd like to thank my sweet editor for helping me as usual despite the fact that he might have better things to do! wink.gif

********************************************************************************
Being home again was nice. The ones that cared had missed me for me and that made me feel good. Athyn looked happy and content even though I could spot some worry in his eyes; something bothered him but he did not tell me what it was. I on my part hoped it didn’t have anything to do with the fact that Seth and I had become so close.

What worried my beloved one turned out to be something complete different…

One morning, about two weeks after my returning home, Athyn took my hand as we were having our breakfast together;

“Serene, things are getting nasty within the Redoran community here in Ald’ruhn; the Archmaster is acting way over his limits, and he doesn’t even try to be discreet with his love-affairs, his daughter has abandoned Venim manor and has been staying with Varvur in Ebonheart. Fathasa Llethri was forced to leave home, because Garisa couldn’t stand the sight of her…”

Athyn sighed and looked sadly at me. He gently touched my chin and then kissed me.

“I will call for a formal council-meeting within the coming week, but the day after tomorrow the councilors, except the Archmaster, will come here for a preparatory pre-meeting. We have to discuss how to handle the situation. The Redoran honor is at stake, and I can’t just leave it as it is. I…I am sure you know what I’m talking about.”

I knew. That was the reason I spent those months at Fort Buckmoth, and I was indeed prepared, but scared to death.

“Do you want me to attend to that meeting in two days?” I had a slight hope Athyn would say no, but he just nodded.

“Yes you need to be there, as does Sethyas. We need to make sure everything will turn out as we wish.”

I spent a great deal of time readying myself the morning of the day of the preparatory meeting. Normally I did not pay much attention to clothing, but this morning I chose carefully. Skirt and blouse had to be in the right Redoran-coloring, as did the robe. I combed my hair and tied it back from my face with a broad red silk scarf. I was prepared- outwardly at least. My inner state did not bear thinking about.

“I bid you welcome, fellow councilors.” Athyn’s voice was low but crystal clear. He stood at the end of our big dinner table, one hand lightly touching its surface. We all sat quiet for a while, the assembled Redoran councilors; Miner Arobar, grumpy as always; Hlaren Ramoran, looking fairly happy, as if he had found some unexpected treasure; Garisa Llethri, like a broken man staring down at his hands; and Mistress Brara Morvayn, with a sardonic smile, on Athyn’s left side. Then there were Sethyas and myself. I could feel him pressing his knee against mine under the table; it felt good, a physical reminder that he was with me, no matter what might happen.

When it appeared that no one had anything to say, Athyn started again: “So Sethyas, I…”

Miner Arobar interrupted:
“Since when is Velas one of the Redoran Council? “ he muttered sourly.

“Do not worry about that,” Sethyas replied in a sharp tone, “We have more important things on the agenda today.”

“Sethyas is my personal assistant and thus an honorary member of the Redoran Council.” Athyn started to sound irritated.

What is this all about?

I was uneasy now; the only thing that was to be decided was how to deal with Archmaster Venim and I knew what that action would be, knowledge, which made me feel nauseous.

“We know that two of the Great Houses of Vvardenfell now have named Trey of High Rock as Hortator, that is Great House Telvanni and Great House Hlaalu. Trey has been visiting the Redoran Councilors and also gotten their support, save one!” Sethyas stopped talking and looked at each of us.

“This can’t go on any longer; we need a Hortator who will unite the Great Houses, and we can’t let one man and his petty pride stand against it,” Brara Morvayn sounded clear and determined.

“It is just the tip of the ice berg; he’s been doing unspeakable things for a long time and it’s getting worse all the time,” Sethyas looked at me.

“We need to take out the Archmaster, and we need to do it the hard way because he won’t step down voluntarily.”

Athyn cleared his voice and said:

“Serene Catraso, you shall challenge Archmaster Bolvyn Venim to a duel to the death, to take place at Vivec Arena when Masser and Secunda are in the third quarter.”

There was silence, complete silence around the table.

I shivered, sweat running down my back; I knew this was my task but still it scared me terribly. My mouth was dry; I couldn’t speak so I just bowed my head in acceptance.

Renie, I know you are scared, but you also know you can and will do this.

I looked up and met the dark red eyes of Sethyas Velas. I nodded, for I knew far too well what had been prophesized.

“For Nirn’s sake, Athyn! You can’t be serious? Letting a young woman do your fighting for you! What kind of coward are you?” Garisa Llethri spat, rising from the table to grab Athyn by his collar. Seth immediately stepped between them, putting his hand on Garisa’s chest.

“Calm down! This is how it’s going to be. Serene has been away for three months, preparing for this, it is prophesized by The Divines,” Sethyas gently made Garisa Llethri sit down again.

“We need to come to consensus in this matter; we have to agree that we need to take these actions in order to put things right in our House and also make sure we name our Hortator, Trey of High Rock. So are you with me?” Athyn looked at each of the councilors while uttering these words.

“Why of course Athyn, dear,” Brara Morvayn said in an almost amused voice. “I’ve wanted to teach that mer a lesson for a long time.”

“I’m with you; I’m just worried about who you chose to duel Venim,” Miner Arobar shook his head. “A woman, a skinny weak woman, dueling the Archmaster, that’s preposterous.”

“A woman challenging Venim might just do the trick,” smiled Hlaren Ramoran. “He’d never ever expect that, it’d probably stun him to lose. So of course Athyn, I’m all with you.”

“What about you, Garisa?” Athyn looked sadly at his old friend. “I’d expect you to be the one who really wants him…gone.”

“I will, I assure you, but I didn’t expect you to sacrifice your beloved one,” Garisa replied.

“Enough of this ranting! Serene is more than capable of taking Venim down, and so she will!”

Sethyas banged his fist on the table. “The conclusion is clear; we will proceed as said. Serene will challenge Bolvyn Venim to a duel to the death at the council meeting on Loredas. End of discussion!”

The following three days before the regular council meeting should take place were not very pleasant for me. My family did all they could to distract me from thinking of the coming ordeal but that did no good. On the contrary, it made me even more aware of all I stood to lose. I had lost one family already; I could face death more easily than the prospect of losing another. They, for their part did not want to think about it, but for me it would have been preferable…maybe.

Athyn and I tried to get some quality-time together, but that didn’t turn out well, due to his feeling so miserable. He actually felt sick and I was afraid he really would be taken seriously ill. But of course it was all in his mind. The evening before the council meeting he was very worried and his stomach was in uproar. I gave him a sedative potion, knowing he needed to get some sleep; it was vital that he was fit and sharp the following day. It was vital for me!

Since I could not sleep during the night before the meeting I spent some time with Sethyas; he was strong and secure and was one who really understood what I wanted. So we sat in my chambers, talking. I told him about my background, about Cyrodiil, about the prison and how I ended up in Vvardenfell. I told him about the Blades, the Emperor’s peculiar interest in me and about my time with the Ahemmusa. I also told him about Sedrane…

He told me that he also had been transferred from the Imperial Prison in Cyrodiil to Vvardenfell, he also had met Caius Cosades, he also had to do some killings…. but then again, he was an assassin.

“What I’ve told you so far is no secret; Athyn knows, and so do others, but what I will tell you now, Serene, is something that will have to stay between you and me. You remember I told you about Setsuna? My sister. I lost her, I lost her in a most gruesome way, and meeting you somehow made me pretend I got her back…or at least the incarnation of her, but you’ll understand…”

I got us a bottle of brandy; this was going to be a long night, I could tell by the looks of Seth, as he sat beside me on my bed, took a deep breath and started talking;

“I am a member of the Morag Tong as you know and once I got a writ to assassinate Durus Marius, a leader in the Dark Brotherhood. Morag Tong was at war with the Brotherhood at that time. I naturally did not hesitate to take the mission. To make a very long story short, I shot him with a poisoned arrow, but before he died he told me this story:

“Ah yes, I know your name; we’ve been watching you since you were a bandit in Cyrodiil, quite a shame too. You could have been quite an asset to our organization. Still, it looks like we got the better half though! Hahaha! That’s right! Setsuna is a Dark Sister now! Not only that, when we told her that you’d been lying to her all these years, she broke down! She hates you Sethyas! She’s renounced the blood you two share, and even now she has come to Vvardenfell to prove her loyalty to Sithis by killing you! It’s almost…poetic, and most certainly ironic. Had you simply told her your true nature you might have saved her from her dark destiny! And you will die Sethyas. I have not seen an Assassin with her talent in many years, as much as you may think yourself good, she is better. And once the Morag Tong’s golden boy is dead, we can finish our mission here, and eliminate the servants of Mephala in Sithis’ name.”

Sethyas squeezed my hand for a while before he continued;

“I am not sadistic, so I will not describe how I finished Durus Marius. Indeed there are things worse than death, and I made certain that he suffered as many of them as I could think of before he finally begged me for death. The world has become a cruel place indeed. Am I contributing to it? Or am I taking it away piece by piece? The hardest part by then was not knowing of Setsuna´s choices. Could I forgive her for joining the Dark Brotherhood?”

“I suppose you could Seth, if you had wanted to,” I said silently

“Ald Sotha, a Daedric shrine to the northwest of Vivec, has been the base of operations for the Night Mother herself.” Seth continued. “I was to kill Severia Magia, leader of the force that had plagued us for all those weeks. I was also told it was possible that Setsuna herself might even be there. This target was the most important of all my Writs and special duties. This was the Night Mother of the Dark Brotherhood.”

Sethyas shook his head as if the memory was too painful to even think about. I stroked his hair gently and waited for him to continue.

“I fired several shots at her, some arrows hitting their mark, others she dodged effortlessly. She then reached out a leather-gauntleted hand and grabbed me by the throat and with her other hand twisted my wrist, my glass blade falling out of my hand.

Holding me secure with brute strength, she stabbed my thigh, and I fell still, unable to move.”

“She ripped off the dark mask and started to taunt me. What she didn’t expect was my urge to stay alive; I managed to get one hand free and that was all I needed. I stabbed her left arm with my Jinkblade, the razor sharp glass edge easily bit through her leather armor, and the enchantment paralyzed her. Then I unsheathed my Daedric katana, and brought it down in a ferocious swing to her neck.

So now I would be free to find Setsuna, and reunite with her at last.”

Seth buried his face in his hands, took a sip of brandy and continued;

“Right before I reached out to open the door to leave Ald Sotha, a shadow extended from my left with a speed that did not leave me time to react. A sharp pain filled my gut, and I fell to my knees once more, but this time in weakness, in pain. The already dark shrine became darker, as I felt the sharp pain leave my stomach. I looked up into a pair of beautiful red eyes that I had not seen in many months. ’I love you, Setsuna.’ I said weakly as the world faded away around me…”

I gasped for breath; I did not see that coming, not at all. I embraced him, kissed him and held him tight. Tears flowed down my face; there was no way I could stop them.

“You know Renie, being dead is strange; you can still feel the pillow underneath your head, likely in your coffin. And you can feel the dressing on your wound. And the dull aches in your body from a potent poison from a hateful sister, who turns out to be a better assassin than you,” Sethyas mumbled with his face deep in my hair.

I wasn’t sure I wanted to hear more, but then again I needed to know the rest of the story.

“Apparently I was watched all the time,” Seth’s voice was hoarse and sad. “The Blades were following my actions the whole time as it turned out. Caius Cosades and Nine-Toes spotted Setsuna but couldn’t stop her from stabbing me…But right afterwards they caught her, and…and prevented her from finishing her work”

“They…they killed her?” I whispered, still clinging tight to his chest.

Sethyas nodded; sadness overwhelmed him and he could say no more. As I sat there with him so close to me, a strange heat came over me, I felt his heart beat faster and his breath became heavier. I lifted my head and looked straight into his eyes and everything around me faded away.

What is happening to me…to us?

I …I don’t know, but please stay…please Renie!

I don’t remember how long this tense moment lasted but it seemed like an eternity to me before he finally spoke ant the world came back again;

“It was Nine-Toes that killed her; he had to, it was either her or me and they wanted me alive. I immediately tried to attack Caius; I thought he’d betrayed me and at that moment I wanted him dead. Of course I had no strength to accomplish that…then. I merely screamed at Caius, screamed out that he had promised me to spare her. But then an hour later, when I had regained my senses, I understood that it was my fault. She became what she was because of me. Because I lied.”

After he finished we sat silent for a while. The Manor was quiet, and everybody was asleep, some with and some without my help.

Then something happened…that wasn’t supposed to happen; it was not planned but it happened anyway, for better and for worse…

I put down the quill again. My back aches; I still feel bad remembering that night. I do not know if there were any consequences; I really can’t tell, but I’ll always wonder…Anyway, it will remain a secret, my secret, until now perhaps.

I walk through the silent rooms, unable to find peace. So many nights I have spent writing my story without hesitation, but tonight I just feel unable to continue, I have to ponder about this memory, I have to try and seek answers that may never be found.

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Jun 28 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #26

Master
Group Icon

Serene has a secret. Indeed.

To quote the wonderful songwriter Damien Rice, from his great song Volcano:

Damien's Lyrics:
Don't hold yourself like that
cause You'll hurt your knees
well I kissed your mouth, and back
But that's all I need
Don't build your world around
Volcanoes melt you down

And What I am to you is not real
What I am to you, you do not need
What I am to you is not what you mean to me
You give me miles and miles of mountains
And I'll ask for the sea

Lisa Hannigan's Lyrics:
Don't throw yourself like that
In front of me
I kissed your mouth, your back
Is that all you need?
Don't drag my love around
Volcanoes melt me down

What I am to you is not real
And I'll ask
What I give to you is just what I'm going through
This is nothing new, no, no just another phase of finding
what I really need is what makes me bleed
But like a new disease, Lord, she's still too young to treat
Volcanoes melt you down
She's still too young +what iam to you+you do not need+is not real
I kissed your mouth
You do not need me
+Quote Post
minque
post Jun 28 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #27

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(Black Hand @ Jun 28 2008, 08:55 PM) *

Serene has a secret. Indeed.

To quote the wonderful songwriter Damien Rice, from his great song Volcano:

Damien's Lyrics:
Don't hold yourself like that
cause You'll hurt your knees
well I kissed your mouth, and back
But that's all I need
Don't build your world around
Volcanoes melt you down

And What I am to you is not real
And I'll ask for the sea

Lisa Hannigan's Lyrics:
Don't throw yourself like that
In front of me
I kissed your mouth, your back
Is that all you need?
Don't drag my love around
Volcanoes melt me down

What I am to you is not real
And I'll ask
What I give to you is just what I'm going through
This is nothing new, no, no just another phase of finding
what I really need is what makes me bleed
But like a new disease, Lord, she's still too young to treat
Volcanoes melt you down
She's still too young +what iam to you+you do not need+is not real
I kissed your mouth
You do not need me

So sad and beautiful! And somewhat true... Still, they have something, otherwise things that happened shouldn't have happened. And they do need each other...in a strange way they do, believe me!:mellow:

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jun 29 2008, 09:10 PM
Post #28

Master
Group Icon

It is awesome to see you continue this lovely story, minque. I even came out of my hibernation to comment on it wink.gif

Once again, the emotions conveyed by your characters are extremely heart-felt and a simple joy to read. The connection between Sethyas and Serene is so powerful. Great update and I can't wait to read more.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
minque
post Jul 2 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #29

Wise Woman
Group Icon

At dawn I took a bath, a long hot bath to regain focus and concentration on that fateful day. It was the day I, Serene Catraso, would make a statement that would change the lives of many, especially my own. It also was the day I would challenge a man to a duel for the death. I had taken men’s lives before, but not in this way, not by my own will and decision. But then I thought about what Sinnamu Mirpal told me when I spent time with the Ahemmusa, after my cowardly escape from Domesea’s funeral;

“You are a healer, my child, and you know that sometimes, when you perform a healing, you must cut away a diseased part so that the body as a whole can heal and become strong again. If the diseased limb or organ is not removed, the corruption will spread and kill the patient.”
She looked at me closely to see if I was following her. Seeing my frown of concentration, she continued,

“You will have to perform- a healing, an amputation…so that the body can become strong again.”

Yes I was a healer, and I had to commence the healing today! It would start with me challenging Archmaster Venim.

After the bath I rubbed my entire body with an ointment scented with Gold Kanet and Heather, and I even went outside Under Skar for a while to let my long hair dry in the chilly morning breeze. Refreshed but not entirely in the best mood I went back. I tiptoed into the grand bedroom only to see my beloved Athyn sleeping deeply on his side of the magnificent bed we had installed recently. I sneaked into bed and gently kissed him. He didn’t awake but was immediately aware of me being there, for he turned around and put his arms tightly around me. I cuddled up close to him, felt his breath on my neck. I closed my eyes, just for a minute…

“Hey my love, wake up, will you? Don’t cry, I’m here; I’ll be by your side, don’t worry,” Athyn’s soft voice murmured in my ear, and I tried to look at him but my eyes were wet and swollen; they simply did not open.

Had I been crying in my sleep or what?

“Leave it be, you don’t have to see me to realize what I’m going to do with you now,” Athyn laughed.

No, that was true, I didn’t have to see to experience the following half hour…

After another bath, not so long and not so hot, I felt better and headed for the kitchen. Athyn was preparing one of those hearty breakfasts he had usually prepared ever since I moved in with him. He had developed an urge to feed me, thinking I was far too skinny and needed excess nourishment, at least three or four times a day. The smell from the kitchen was tempting, kwama-egg omelet, fresh bread, vegetables, and a stew containing I don’t know what but it looked good! Unfortunately my appetite was very poor that strange morning.

I tried the best I could to eat, but from the look on Athyn’s face it was far too little.

“Serene, please eat some more! You’ll develop a terrible fatigue during the meeting if you don’t eat, you might faint when you…. when you have to…do that. …Thing.”

I nodded; I wasn’t in the mood for any sort of argument, and so I just smiled and took another piece of bread.

The council meeting was to be held at the great Council-hall in the centre of Under Skar. I wanted to look as impressive as I could, mostly to improve my self-esteem but also to show off a little bit.

The house was rather quiet; I remember seeing Salyn, and Varvur. Also Vendrela was present, since she came into my chambers just as I was pondering how to arrange my hair.

“Here, let me help you,” she said. And in a few minutes she created an impressive construction with it on top of my head. I looked in the mirror, and what I saw scared me;
A tall skinny woman in a complicated dress, deadly pale and with dark shadows under her eyes, eyes still a bit swollen. I turned away in dismay. Was this the Hope of the Redoran?

Just before we left for the meeting, Athyn came up to me. He had something in his hand…

“I want you to have this now,” he said, putting a necklace around my pale neck. It was a magnificent piece of handicraft, a thin golden chain with a huge red stone in a complicated mounting. There was something inscribed at its backside…but I couldn’t read it just then. It was purely beautiful and I couldn’t utter a word; there was this heavy lump in my throat.

“Actually I meant to give it to you on our wedding day, but I think you need it now!” Athyn stroked my chin. “It belonged to my mother. She was a mage, so it has some magical properties, which can be useful for you.”

The red stone glistened in the flickering lights from the lanterns in the hallway as we left Sarethi Manor. I shivered, not from cold, but from the tension inside me.

“I do hope Seth will make it in time,” Athyn sighed as we walked. I was a bit startled when he mentioned Sethyas and I hoped it didn’t show.

“He went to Vivec this morning, to see Ilmeni,” he said. “Naturally he needed her; they haven’t seen each other for quite some time now.”

“So they are engaged, are they?” I asked, feeling a bit awkward.

“Oh yes! They are soon to get married after what Seth said last week. He really deserves a good wife and Ilmeni really is a nice woman. She’s the daughter of Duke Dren by the way; did you know that?”

I smiled in return and nodded.

As we entered the Council Hall, Neminda bade us welcome. She squeezed my hand very hard, whispering encouraging words in my ears. Apparently almost everybody knew of the importance of this meeting. I could only hope the Archmaster didn’t.

A minor commotion occurred and the cause was the arrival of Sethyas Velas and Ilmeni Dren. Seth pulled back his hood and caught my gaze; immediately I blushed.

Damn it Renie, focus! What happened last night is something we have to deal with at another time. I’m here by your side, and so are all the Redoran Councilors. Show us what you’re made of, and save us all!

Suddenly I was completely calm. There were other thoughts from Sethyas Velas that I read at that time…. And the sum of it was the total calmness and concentration I felt then.

Neminda looked at us and bid us enter the hall where the meeting was to be. The other councilors were already there except for the Archmaster. All of them seemed uneasy save Mistress Brara Morvayn. She gave us a hearty smile and blinked conspiratorially at me. When she spotted my necklace her eyes widened but she said nothing. I was seated between Athyn and Sethyas. I should have felt secure, but the truth was I was terrified.

The entrance of Archmaster Bolvyn Venim was as spectacular as the mer himself. He banged the doors open and in he came flanked by at least four women clinging to his arms like grapes. One of them was Fathasa Llethri!

I gave Garisa a quick glance; he didn’t look up but his clenched fists turned white. I took a deep breath…

Don’t! It’s not time yet!

I looked at Seth, whose voice was in my mind. He did not look back. Just watched the scene with empty gaze.

“Ahhhh fellow councilors!” Bellowed Venim with a laugh. “You’re already assembled, but why so grumpy? It’s a lovely day and I have some new ideas which I’ll take the opportunity to discuss with you, since you saw fit to call for this extra meeting.” The last words were for Athyn.

As he turned to sneer at my beloved, his gaze froze; he had spotted me and he looked sternly at me somewhere beneath my chin. Then he turned to his accompanying ladies with some effort;

“Ladies! Leave us, this is nothing for women, go away and I’ll get back to you all later.” He waved his hands at the women as if he couldn’t get rid of them fast enough.

“Athyn Sarethi! You deliberately brought that Outlander here! At our council meeting? That’s preposterous, get her out immediately! “ He shouted peevishly.

“She stays!! And so do I,” Sethyas rose from his chair. My heart beat faster; I touched my Ahemmusa sacred tattoo and felt the heat of it. Then I let go of the necklace Athyn had given me and that I’d been holding in my hand until now. The magnificent stone glistened in the light and Bolvyn Venim gave out a new cry of anger.

“Whaaaa!!!! It’s The Red Star!!!! On an Outlander! You can’t be serious, old man, it’s…it’s…”

“A sacred Redoran treasure, I know! But it’s also a Sarethi Family Heirloom; it belonged to my mother and is inherited by the leading lady in the family, which Serene is going to be,” Athyn said dryly.

“I absolutely forbid that. If you do this it will be your fall, Athyn Sarethi! I will kill you with my bare hands.”

I made to rise, but Sethyas grabbed my arm and held me back.

No!! Stay calm. Not yet, for Nirn’s sake.

“Gentlemer, please! We shall not argue about some fancy jewelry here, we have more important matters to attend to, such as the future of The Redoran Community,” Sethyas said loudly.

“Ah yes! I visited Suran last week and they have a really enchanting business there, which I think would be very nice to have here in Ald’ruhn,” Venim sounded almost cheerful.

“I was not referring to some Suran-business, I was referring to the state of our Great House and its lack of proper leadership, and also the Naming of Trey of High Rock as our Hortator,” Sethyas turned to the other councilors who nodded in approval.

“You already have a sort of that business going on in your very house,” Garisa Llethri muttered quietly.

Bolvyn Venim turned dark red with blistering anger; he rose to his feet slowly, looking at one and each of us sitting around the table.

“It’s completely out of the question!” he bellowed. “That Breton is NOT going to be our Hortator, as long as I’m the true leader of House Redoran and I decide that he shall not be Hortator.”

NOW!

I still don’t remember whether Seth actually said the word or merely thought it, but a strange cold calmness filled me and I in my turn rose to my feet, and touching my tattoo and the red stone between my breasts I slowly approached the Archmaster. I heard a faint whimper, maybe from Athyn, but I just proceeded until I stood face to face with him.

“Then there’s no choice,” my voice was crystal clear. “I hereby challenge you, Bolvyn Venim to a duel to the death. Meet me at the Arena in Vivec, when Masser and Secunda are in the third quarter.” As a confirmation of my challenge I took off one of my gloves and slapped him in the face.

The silence after my declaration was complete.

I really did it. Oh yes I did it, and may Azura protect me.

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post Jul 2 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #30

Master
Group Icon

I hope that slap stung Venim for the next hour. goodjob.gif Kick his boat Serene! You're doing everyone a huge favor. *Over-enthusiastic perhaps* I hope Serene keeps a clean conscience after the duel.
+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Jul 5 2008, 12:11 AM
Post #31

Knower
Group Icon

I actually found myself holding my breath for that council meeting. Venim's overbearing personality filled the room, but the tension created by what everyone else knew was equally powerful. His entrance was magnificent; I am constantly amused by the things that the supposed "Redoran honor" will allow people to put up with. I certainly can't imagine that it is honorable to let the archmaster galavant around with one's wife, but perhaps, in their view, it would be a greater dishonor to do something about it. It was great to see Serene summon the courage to not only challenge Venim, but also to give him that wonderful slap in the face. I only hope it stung more than Venim's likely shock at actually being challenged.

I am a little worried about how the previous installments encounter between Serene and Sethyas will affect things in the future. I hope that it doesn't become too big a problem.
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Jul 5 2008, 11:38 AM
Post #32

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

QUOTE(mplantinga @ Jul 5 2008, 12:11 AM) *

I am a little worried about how the previous installments encounter between Serene and Sethyas will affect things in the future. I hope that it doesn't become too big a problem.

I was thinking the same thing. We know that Serene has a tendency to worry perhaps more than she should, and if she's feeling plagued with guilt... However she seems to be coming to terms with other elements she's shied away from in the past. The analogy of killing as being a form of healing was a particularly good example of that. Maybe she's finally realising that any event is tempered by our interpretation of it, and every event can have multiple interpretations. That might be a good way of keeping the guilt from the door.

On a more technical note, I was particularly impressed with the way you utilised pace throughout. The slow build, the tension starting to mount then finally kicking off towards the end. You really managed to build the tension beautifully there. It should mean that we have a very exciting duel ahead of us. I can't wait! smile.gif
+Quote Post
minque
post Jul 5 2008, 06:15 PM
Post #33

Wise Woman
Group Icon

The Archmaster looked at me, and I never had seen so much hate in one man’s eyes before; I was sure that if he could he would have killed me right there, on the spot.

“Very well, outlander, I will accept your challenge and I must say I’m looking so much forward to wetting the dust in the Arena pit with your blood” With those words he turned away from me and headed for the door. But just before exiting he once more turned to us;

“You are all doomed. When I’ve finished this woman I’ll come back to you all, and I will show no mercy. So enjoy the last days of your miserable lives!”

Nobody answered or moved; they all sat completely still but I could sense the anger and hate emanating from the councilors. Seth’s hand on my shoulder tightened its grip and I knew instinctively what he was thinking, without using telepathy.

When the door closed everybody started talking again.

“I’m impressed; didn’t think you’d have the courage to do it,” Miner Arobar gave me something that might have resembled a smile.

“I knew she’d do it; she’s tough, really tough,” Hlaren Ramoran blinked at me. Garisa Llethri just shook his head; he looked sad and worried.

“Now shall we finish of this farce of a meeting and get ourselves a drink?” Brara Morvayn chuckled.

Sethyas and Athyn looked at me; I nodded, a drink was exactly what I needed. I still couldn’t really grasp that I actually had challenged Bolvyn Venim that I was prepared to kill him in cold blood.

The short walk to The Rat in the Pot did me good. For once the weather was nice; it usually is not in Ald’ruhn, but this afternoon the sun was warm and the faint breeze did not contain any red ash. I walked beside Athyn; Sethyas had disappeared just before we were off.

“I suppose he’s gone to get Ilmeni,” Brara Morvayn concluded.

It wasn’t too crowded at The Pot so we could actually sit down and have our drinks. I love Cyrodiilic Brandy, maybe a bit too much in fact. After two mugs of Brandy I felt strong and very confident I’d wipe the Arena floor with Bolvyn Venim. My complicated hairdo was falling apart, strands of damp hair hanging down around my face, and I felt invincible. But when I was about to order my third Brandy….

I wouldn’t go any harder on that stuff if I were you…

I spun around, and stood face to face with Sethyas, and beside him stood a Dunmer Lady, smiling at me in a friendly fashion. Yes a lady, nothing else would be appropriate to describe Ilmeni Dren, the daughter of Duke Dren and Sethyas’ fiancée.

“Renie, meet Ilmeni Dren, my wife to be,” Sethyas said with a faint smile.

“Ilmeni, meet my dearest sister Serene,” he continued.
Ilmeni told me later that she never met a more beautiful woman than me at that moment, something I at first found very hard to believe.

“Greetings, Sera,” Ilmeni’s voice was just like herself, calm and warm. “I’m so pleased to finally meet you, Seth has told me so much about you, and he thinks the world of you, which I really can understand.”

I took a deep breath and bowed my head; Ilmeni Dren was after all the Duke’s daughter;

“Greetings to you Sera…ehh Duchess,” I stuttered, “It’s an honor to meet you.” I blushed; I didn’t know how to continue, and then I glanced at Seth…the darn mer was laughing at my embarrassment!

“Ah, come on, let’s move over to another table; I’ve been so eager to get to know you, Serene.” Ilmeni took my arm and led me to a more secluded table.

I don’t remember everything we talked about, but what I do remember very well was the warm fuzzy feeling I had by just being in her company. She was an excellent listener, she was curious about me in a subtle way which made me open up to her quite a bit.

“Seth is a wonderful man,” I exclaimed. “But you know that already of course.”

“Yes…yes he is,” she responded thoughtfully. “Now he’s also quite special; you can’t tie him down; you have to allow him his freedom, or you’ll loose him. I never ask him what’s he’s been up to when he returns to me. He wouldn’t answer anyway,” Ilmeni smiled.

I felt a pang of remorse when I heard her, but tried to suppress it. Sethyas was my brother and that’s all there was to it…or?

A loud burst of laughter interrupted our conversation; the men at the counter had started to get drunk, really drunk. Garisa slept with his head on the counter; Miner and Hlaren were arguing about something, but the laughter was Sethyas doing. He threw his head backwards and laughed loud at something Athyn said. Or maybe how he said it, the fact was that my beloved one was beastly drunk; he had severe problems just to stand upright. I made a move to approach him but Seth stopped me.

“Nooooooooooo nooooo ladies! Let me handle this. Athyn and I are going home now, they won’t serve us anymore at these premishes, so we’ll just head…*hiccup* head home to get…”

“Oh dear, there will be some men with severe headache tomorrow,” Ilmeni laughed. “Shall we follow then to see that they don’t get themselves into any trouble?”

We followed our men from a distance; we wouldn’t disturb them, besides we still had a lot to talk about.

There were quite certainly at least two Redoran councilors who suffered from headaches the next morning. One of them didn’t show up at all; the other did stumble out into the kitchen as Ilmeni and were having morning-tea. Sethyas looked just terrible; his red eyes were even redder, his face was dirt-grey and he smelled like a dead guar. Besides that, he was in a terrible mood, grumpy and sour.

“Don’t…say…anything!” he muttered as he downed a big mug of water. I had not the heart to tell him that I didn’t have to say anything; I knew perfectly well how he felt and what he was thinking about. I just smiled at him.

I decided to see how Athyn was doing and leave Ilmeni and Sethyas some space. My love was sleeping heavily; he even snored, which he normally doesn’t do. I lay down beside him and must have fallen asleep because the next thing I was aware of was that some kind of beast was trying to kiss me, I turned my face away, and the smell was terrible. Then of course I realized it was Athyn, and started laughing.

“Oh I’m sorry,” he said. “I smell awful, don’t I?”

“That’s the least one can say, but ok I can take it,” I said and kissed him hard. That caused us to remain in the bedroom for another hour.

Masser and Secunda would enter their third quarters within a week, so there was still some time for me to prepare myself for the duel. Or perhaps time to get even more scared! I was thankful for Ilmeni being around, she had a deeper understanding for how I felt and did her best to distract me from thinking too much about the forthcoming event. That was the best that could happen to me as it turned out.

“We are getting married soon, Seth and I, which is a miracle in itself! I never thought he would propose to me,” Ilmeni told me. “He doesn’t seem to be the marrying type of person.”

“He loves you, Ilmeni, and he needs you. He’s become a better person after meeting you, I can see that now.”

Our conversation resulted in the two of us going to Balmora three days later to visit Milie Hastien, the fine clothier. We were looking for a wedding gown for Ilmeni. It’s always a pleasure to visit Milie; she’s also very good at fixing hair, so both Ilmeni and I let her do ours. It was a wonderful day and I cherished it immensely because I’d noticed that Secunda and Masser now were not far from entering their third quarters.

We decided to let Milie manufacture a wedding gown for Ilmeni. I wanted her to look her very best when she was to marry my dearest brother and friend. It was a sheer joy to choose fabric and design and I was totally distracted from what lay ahead of me.

That following night I slept poorly. I encountered some undefined worry; it was like some diminutive scribs were crawling all over me. Not even lying in Athyn’s arms made my soul calm down.

Serene! Be prepared, the time has come. Today at noon you must be in the Arena Pit to face your destiny.

Azura’s message was clear, as she came to me just before dawn. Today was the day, maybe the last day of my life.

I could not eat any breakfast. I felt sick. My family gathered around me, fussing about, wondering how I felt, when all I wanted was to be left alone. Then again I could understand their worry and a trickle of joy went through me, I was loved; people cared for me- wanted me to make it through this.

I was sitting on Athyn’s lap holding him tight when Ilmeni and Seth arrived. Ilmeni embraced me, saying nothing, but I could feel her tears wet my cheek. Seth said nothing; he just sat down looking straight at me.

No, I will never reveal what I read from Sethyas’ mind that morning, but it affected me deeply.

First, I put on the sacred vest Sinnamu Mirpal gave me the last time I met her; while doing that I gently touched my tattoo. It began immediately to burn like fire. Then I chose to wear the guar skin trousers and matching tunic I got from the Ahemmusa tribe. If I was going to die I’d like to pass away as an Ahemmusa warrior.

I then said goodbye to my family. They were probably going to be at the Arena to watch the duel, at least it was expected from Athyn, but I could see how it tormented him.

The last person I encountered, just before leaving, was Seth. He took me in his arms, saying nothing. There was no need. I knew!

I promise I will! Just be there for me.

I was convinced he could read me….

Just as I put down the quill for a second, the door was flung open. I looked up, annoyed; everybody knew that I was not to be disturbed when I was sitting in my private chambers, not at this time of the day anyway.

“Are you back???” This was the only person, except for my husband, that always had access to my privacy. I embraced him, only too happy to see him safe and sound.

There was no more writing that night though…

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Jul 8 2008, 05:00 AM
Post #34

Knower
Group Icon

It's good to see Ilmeni and Serene getting along so well; it certainly bodes well for the future. I'm glad that Serene found someone to help her prepare for her upcoming duel, even if only by being an emotional support and presence during her wait.

This installment didn't quite have the intensity of the previous one, but perhaps that's good; I do like to breathe occasionally. I did notice a couple spelling/word choice issues that escaped your careful proofreading gaze, but they didn't significantly detract from my enjoyment.

I especially appreciated Serene's choice of clothing for her duel. It seems highly appropriate to duel the pompous head of Redoran wearing Ashlander clothing; it should put him in his place even before the fight begins. I am looking forward to the actual duel; I know that writing combat scenes isn't your favorite thing to do, or perhaps even your greatest skill, but I anticipate that the glimpses we'll get into Serene's thoughts during the duel will be as spectactular as your introspective writing always is.
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Jul 8 2008, 05:08 AM
Post #35

Master
Group Icon

Nice to see Serene and Ilmeni getting along. As planty puts it, its nice to breathe once in a while. Especially if the action is about to come. Is there a person still helping you out with that?
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Jul 8 2008, 06:21 PM
Post #36

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Dang I haven't had time to read in a while. Heh, time to catch up. biggrin.gif

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
minque
post Jul 8 2008, 06:27 PM
Post #37

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Yes, Blackie, someone's helping me.. wink.gif

So therefore I dedicate this and the two following installments to

The Metal Mallet

who is my honored guest-writer, since you all know, fighting scenes isn't my cup 'o tea

********************************************************************************
My armor and sword had already been brought to the Arena by two of our servants. I just had to bring myself there. The silt strider driver did not speak to me during the trip, so I took the opportunity to close my eyes and get some rest.

It was a bright sunny day when I landed at Vivec Strider port.

A wonderful day to die…

I had to stop those thoughts; I wasn’t supposed to die, and I had promised to stay alive! I enjoyed the gondola-trip between the Vivec Foreign quarter and Vivec Arena. Vivec really is a peculiar town; it consists of different so-called Cantons, built right out in the sea, Each canton is a huge building with different levels and a lot of corridors and rooms. You certainly need a map to find your way around. You can travel between the cantons by gondolas, a rather pleasant means of transport. From the water, you can see the majesty of the city rising from the sea, as well as the sun reflecting from the waves.

At the Arena I was shown into a small room, with a narrow bed, a chair and a large cupboard, where I had a chance to prepare myself. My armor and weapon were placed there already. I lay down on the bed, totally exhausted after last night’s lack of sleep.

The muffled roar of the spectators of the Arena woke me from the small nap I was taking. It seemed as if they thought the fight taking place at the moment was an exciting one. Well, I intended to show them what a spectacle truly was!

Now that I was awake, I decided that it would be a good time to begin final preparations for my duel. I picked up my Daedric dai-katana from the rack at the side of the cupboard and placed it upon my lap.

Daedric weaponry was widely known for being quite weighty, but fortunately the weapon was balanced so perfectly that the weight didn’t pose a problem. I brushed my hand against the flat of the blade, observing the light-absorbing blackness of the metal. Brilliant flashes of crimson seared the edges of the blade, giving it a very intimidating appearance. I deemed the blade unscarred after my inspection. It would hopefully tear right through whatever armor Venim decided to wear.

I almost found it odd how much I was looking forward to battling Venim to the death. Almost. Any other time than this I would’ve despised the notion of killing someone. But this, this had to be done for the benefit of my House. The Redorans would eventually crumble under the oppressive nature of Bolvyn Venim. I couldn’t let that happen!

The next thing I did was don my Imperial armor. While putting on the heavy armor I couldn’t help but think about how long it had been since I had done my service with the Imperial Legion. It felt like ages ago; so much had changed.

Yet, some things had stayed the same as well. I felt like I was the same person as I was back then. Sure, the events I had experienced had revealed new things about me, but I felt that those things that made me truly Serene were still intact. I also knew there were people who had confidence in me, people who expected me to manage this. That scared me terribly.

After putting on my armor, excluding the helm for comfort reasons, I wrapped a simple red robe around myself. It wasn’t so bulky that it would inhibit my movements, but it did what I wanted it to do: hide my armor. My plan was to make Venim overconfident, then use that overconfidence to defeat him. Believing I was unprepared, Venim would be more reckless, thus allowing me to use precision and accuracy to my advantage. I knew that he would seek to do more than win- he would try to humiliate me.

The preliminary battle still raged, so I sat quietly on my bench and attempted to visualize the fight I would shortly begin. It was during this time that a knock on the door caught my attention.

The door opened and Athyn walked in, his hands folded together and his expression a mix of worry, concern, and hope. He slowly walked towards me, bent down to one knee and took my hands into his. He looked up to me, his eyes blank with emotion.

“Serene, my dear, I know this must be done, but why can’t someone else do it? Surely there must be someone else willing to defeat Bolvyn. I could ask Sethyas, he is strong and fit! I couldn’t bear to see you fall!” he said softly, kissing my hand affectionately.

I gently pulled Athyn up, so that we could make eye contact. “Athyn, as you said, this must be done. It was I who made the challenge, therefore it must be me who duels him. You know this better than anyone else. You only say such things because you worry for me. Besides, Sethyas has his own demons to fight; this is not his battle.” I kissed his brow, “But do not fear. I shall be victorious.”

My courage must somehow have rubbed off a bit on Athyn, as the worry on his face appeared to fade away. Determination now replaced it.

“Make sure you come back to me,” he said with conviction.

I nodded. “Go now, be strong for the others,” I said before he walked out of the room.

The next knocking on my door was a guard informing me that it was time to go. I grabbed my dai-katana and sheathed it on my back before following the guard to the Arena fighting grounds.

As I exited the room, a stretcher containing one of the previous combatants was being rushed past me. The combatant was an Imperial, covered in blood. Grievous wounds covered his body and the warrior openly cried out in pain from them. Even when he had been carried out of sight, I could still hear his wails.

I shuddered involuntarily. That could happen to me. Even worse, I could be killed… No! I had to maintain confidence. I couldn’t let such sights sway the outcome of my duel.

As I walked through the doorway into the fighting pit, the crowd greeted my entrance warmly with a few cheers and scattered applause. Outside of House Redoran, I wasn’t widely known. I knew this crowd was as large as it was because a virtual stranger was challenging the Arch Master of House Redoran for the position. Bolvyn Venim was widely considered a great sword master and this crowd was eager to see a slaughter. Well, I would give them one! Just one that they weren’t expecting.

When Venim stepped out onto the grounds, the audience surged, their cheers sounding like thunder. Venim waved appreciatively to the crowds, drinking in their praise. I silently cursed when I noticed that Venim also had a Daedric dai-katana strapped to his back. He also wore expensive ebony armor, which I knew was exceptionally strong. I was certain it would take more than one blow with my katana to tear into that stuff. My Imperial armor wouldn’t protect me nearly as well.

Off to one side of the spectators’ seating section was a raised platform. Upon it stood a large Nord in full armor.

“Silence!” the Nord’s booming voice bellowed. The crowd quickly followed his order.

“Before us stand two warriors. One wishes to be called House Redoran Arch Master, the other wishes to keep such title. This is a serious matter, and I must ask- Arch Master Venim, Lady Serene, will you not be reconciled?”

This was a formality; a chance for combatants to reconsider after the heat of a challenge had faded. Venim sneered and raised an arrogant eyebrow at me, as if offering me a chance. When I silently shook my head, he shrugged as if to say that what was to come was not his doing. The Nord stared hard at me and then bellowed:

“Ladies, Gentlemen, and Gentlemer, I present to you a duel to the death!”

The crowd surged once more, screaming their approval. The Nord raised his hands and the crowd grew silent once more. “To my left stands the challenger. Behold! Serene Catraso!”

My announcement received a mixture of applause, cheers, and even some boos. I waved slightly to the crowd, but my eyes were fixed on my opponent the entire time.

“And to my right,” the Nord continued, “Is the current Arch Master of House Redoran. The great Bolvyn Venim!”

After the crowd finished shouting their praise for the despicable Mer, the Nord continued, “I shall now dictate the terms of this duel. This will be to the death; no mercy shall be given. It has been decided between the opponents that no magic shall be used during the battle. Should any magic appear, the duel with stop and the caster will be arrested and executed shortly thereafter,” he paused to emphasize the point.

“Now, combatants…. BEGIN!”

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jul 10 2008, 08:53 AM
Post #38

Master
Group Icon

Hehe, I'm sure some people are going to pick up on one inconsistency with this update: Serene's armour. Back when I wrote this, I didn't know everything leading up to this point in the story. I can't recall if minque told me to use Serene's old Imperial armour or not, at the time I wrote this it made sense to me.

I hope everyone will enjoy the duel and I'd like to thank minque for giving me a chance to contribute to this amazing story. Heck, even I'm excited to see how this duel goes; this was written so long ago that I can't fully remember and the file that I wrote this on is on a previous computer!

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Jul 10 2008, 05:08 PM
Post #39

Master
Group Icon

Sweet! I know this fight is going to be good than, man Mallie, you just LOOooOOve offing the Archmaster, no?
+Quote Post
minque
post Jul 10 2008, 08:13 PM
Post #40

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Well Mallie, even if she wears Ahemmusa clothing she could wear imperial armor..or? Gah, I could need some help sorting that out!

And aye stay tuned, the duel will begin....soon

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:50 PM