Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, An Owlcat RPG
Arcry
post Feb 14 2021, 05:13 PM
Post #1

Agent

So. Owlcat did a thing a thing back on Sep. 25 2018. And that thing was called Pathfinder: Kingmaker. The only TTRPG of Pathfinder and one of the few games outside of their Card game. Now At the time of it's release I'd been getting back into Tabletop with a couple of friends and had been playing Pathfinder's Rise of the Runelords. And I loved the world. I have a whole Google Doc detailing my character's family back several generations. So I was pretty interested in this RPG game Owlcat was offering. I bought it, I played it. I Loved it.

Now Owlcat has received another nod from Pathfinder's company Paizo to do another game. Wrath of the Righteous. A game that canonically starts about three years after the beginning of Kingmaker. In a completely different place with a completely different tone. Wrath is a game that focuses on an apocalyptic place called the Worldwound. Which is quite literally a place where the Abyss (For those of you more familiar with the Abyss, YES THAT ABYSS) is spilling into the Mortal world. And has been for about 91 years. Its only by the grace of the Gods and their divine intervention with these blessed stones called Wardstones being set up like a fence that Demons haven't steamrolled the world. And despite the effort of four Crusades, each less successful than its predecessor, Neither the nation heading the effort nor any of those who have thrown their hands on the issue have been able to get to the source of the Worldwound and close it.

At the start of both the Tabletop and the Video game has your player (Or party) right in the middle of the Fifth and final crusade. The Demon Lord who opened the Worldwound and his generals have found a way around the Wardstones. And they are quite literally all too eager to slaughter the whole of the world.

I'm smacking this down here cause I've been absolutely loving the game and have for the better part of 2020 been playing the actual Tabletop with previously mentioned friends. If it sounds like fun and anyone is interested they can look at the game in a link I'll provide, but I don't think they offering the beta keys unfortunately. But hey, Kingmaker has been out for awhile and in that one you literally build your own kingdom while adventuring.

Link:
https://owlcatgames.com/
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 14 2021, 06:20 PM
Post #2

Paladin
Group Icon

Very cool and thanks for sharing, Arcry. I'm glad you've been enjoying this!

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 14 2021, 11:26 PM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

It does look interesting. I can see it uses the Unity engine. Hmmm. The older versions were really, really hard to mod. The newer versions are not as bad. Pillars of Eternity 2 could be modded with a lot of coding. But at least you did not need a hex editor to do it. The Unity Console also brought a console to the game, which made it possible to get around the need for mods in some cases.

So this is something that I will be watching when it comes out, to find just how robust the modding and ability to customize it is. Games I cannot customize to my liking are hard for me to stay interested in. The Elder Scrolls games and Rome Total War 1 spoiled me that way.

I would have bought Pathfinder: Kingmaker. But I have no desire to mix in nation-building with my fantasy adventuring. If they had cut that out, I probably would have loved the game. Instead I have no interest in it.

It looks like this Crusade business is a replacement for kingdom-building. Instead it sounds like having large-scale battles like the Total War games? Or not? It is hard to tell exactly what it really means in terms of gameplay. It is something else I will have to find out more about after the game comes out.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Arcry
post Feb 15 2021, 04:26 AM
Post #4

Agent

The beta doesn't have the large scale battles yet, but yeah. from what I've seen in the beta so far it def looks like there is gonna be some strategy element as you take the roll of Commander in the Crusade. There is unit moral and such on the map screen so I'm pretty sure the Army portion is gonna be a little like Total War and a a little like Dragon Age Inquisition with missions to capture locals, bonuses, ect. But I could be wrong thats just a guess.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:48 PM