Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

706 Pages V « < 674 675 676 677 678 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coffee Shop Forever, It's time to kick bottom and drink coffee!
mirocu
post Oct 21 2019, 04:07 PM
Post #13501

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Oct 21 2019, 04:58 PM) *

I’m having fond memories of apartment life!

It's da shizzle; one phonecall and all is taken care of asap biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 21 2019, 04:21 PM
Post #13502

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Oct 18 2019, 12:31 PM) *

Unfortunately it was corrosion, so now I'm eyeing up all of the walls. Today's setback is a supply valve that broke while dealing with drying out the floor. Ugh.

Did I mention that the family plus friends will be home for Thanksgiving? panic.gif

Oh no, Guests on top of all this? verysad.gif

We had to re-plumb every pipe in that house I bought my son; it hadn't been winterized, and every pipe shattered when we turned the water on. We went with PEX instead of copper or steel pipes. Cost less; and they can't corrode except at the fittings.

QUOTE(Grits @ Oct 21 2019, 10:58 AM) *

Thanks, folks. The plumber is installing new valves right now, so at least the heater-fans are off. Fingers crossed that he finishes before the carpenter gets here. Also that the carpenter doesn’t break the cabinets (or countertops) getting them out.

I’m having fond memories of apartment life!

Oh no, this sounds like the water damage was extensive! Keeping my prayers up for you and the Grits abode that everything comes out better than you had hoped!

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Oct 22 2019, 01:24 AM
Post #13503

Master
Group Icon

Like I said when you were telling me about this in game, you are more than welcome to borrow my Pariah’s for the family Thanksgiving dinner! Fires are lit, water is where it belongs, and the tables are loaded with yummies. Hope you don’t mind the MidWinter Tree being up . . .

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 24 2019, 03:27 AM
Post #13504

Ancient
Group Icon

For anyone interested: Bethesda is having a huge sale on Fallout 76 right now = good time to test it out!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 27 2019, 04:16 AM
Post #13505

Ancient
Group Icon

My youngest Son got married today in a "Renaissance" style wedding. Everyone came in costume; mostly Renaissance; but actually all costumes were welcome. The ceremony was performed by Gandalf the Grey; I saw a few Harry Potters in the crowd (and on the wedding cake). My older son came as a giraffe at the insistence of my younger son (he instantly wanted a giraffe at his wedding the second he heard about the costume). One man came in his bathrobe and pajama bottoms, another came in a dress and blonde wig, lol.

I noticed (fake) daggers everywhere; which I assumed just was in keeping with the theme of the wedding; but no. The music suddenly changed to "The Rains of Castamere, " and suddenly all the groomsmen grabbed up the daggers and started fake stabbing everyone while the Photographer got shots of everyone getting (fake) "killed," while the "victims" all made appropriate "stabbed" faces; lol. (AKA = one of my Son's favorite scene from Game of Thrones: The Red Wedding, lol)

There was an enormous feast after the wedding: Cheesecake Factory catered it for free as a wedding present; plus some very great home cooking by numerous women and great grilling by men. (and Cheesecake Factory also gave my Son his promised promotion to management for another wedding present).

The whole wedding was just plain fun; even the vows they wrote each other to say at the ceremony were "down to earth;" nothing fancy but promises they could keep = really nice.

I'm glad they had a good Photographer; because my pics came out terrible (and once it got dark; my camera refused to take another shot, grrrrr). It actually was lit; they had gold Christmas style lights around all the trees and around the tent roof inside edge (and the house) - it just wasn't enough light for the camera to pick up light from.

Anyway; great times were had by all; and I got to see my older son for a day (he got "Leave" from the military to come to the wedding).

"The Rains of Castamere"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nvsGz70ZT0

"The Red Wedding" strikes again!

https://imgur.com/Cb9yL7f

My two Sons (without the Giraffe head, lol). = not sure what happened to the picture; I think I moved the camera, urgh.

https://imgur.com/dni7iqq

This post has been edited by mALX: Oct 27 2019, 04:34 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 27 2019, 05:02 AM
Post #13506

Ancient
Group Icon

Congrats to the king!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 27 2019, 08:43 AM
Post #13507

Spam Meister
Group Icon

All hail The King!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Seriously, it does sound like quite a bit of fun. It also reminds me of this girl I dated many moons back, she was into this stuff too. As for me, I settled with a Mongolian style bow tongue.gif

Congrats to your son!

(unless he's the one throwing away Chip's Challenge... wink.gif tongue.gif )

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 27 2019, 12:05 PM
Post #13508

Paladin
Group Icon

How neat, mALX. It looks like it was such fun. Grats to your younger son and new daughter in law, and so nice that you were able to see your younger older son as well. Woot!

Edit: Oops - older son.

This post has been edited by Acadian: Oct 27 2019, 04:04 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 27 2019, 03:24 PM
Post #13509

Ancient
Group Icon

@mALX
Was there much drinking? Seems like there should’ve been much drinking!!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Oct 27 2019, 04:21 PM
Post #13510

Master
Group Icon

Congratulations to your Son, mALX!

Sounds and looks like a unique wedding, definitely very unusual and memorable.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 27 2019, 06:07 PM
Post #13511

Ancient
Group Icon

@ Everyone: Thank you all so much for your well wishes for my Son! There were close to four hundred guests; all of the Cheesecake Factory "family" came; plus friends and relatives from all over the U.S. The morning news actually mentioned "A very unusual party in South Knoxville" that I thought was going to be about my Son's wedding; but as it turns out that was a joke by the station over the Vols winning the game.

@ SubRosa: He actually did look like a king, too! He had that kind of rotund thing going on so he actually looked a bit "Henry the VIII-ish, lol). Thank you!

@ Lopov: Yes, much more fun and relaxed. It was a total blast; and most weddings are dreaded to go to as guests. All the guests had a great time at this one, lol.

@ Mirocu: No, the older one threw Chips Challenge away (the taller one wearing the red hat in the picture).

On the Bows = My Son had just mentioned wishing he had thought to have Bows/Arrows around before the ceremony; but after the wedding (when the food and drink started flowing) two people came in dressed as Archers with Bows of their own for the reception afterward.

@ Khajiit: Oh yeah there was a lot of drinking! There was bottles of wine everywhere; plus a bartender with a full bar in a side tent. It was the most fun wedding I've ever been to!

@ Acadian: Yes, it was so nice getting to see my older son; even if just for that one day! He had just returned from deployment in Korea; and the Army doesn't usually grant Leave for family stuff; but somehow he managed to get it for his brother's wedding (though just for the two days; one of which was taken up in the driving here and back). He left in the middle of the night last night to drive back to the Base.

This post has been edited by mALX: Oct 28 2019, 06:44 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Oct 27 2019, 06:28 PM
Post #13512

Master
Group Icon

Thank you all so much for your well wishes for my Son! There were close to four hundred guests

That's a lot of guests, weddings in our parts have between 50-100 hundred guests at most, with most weddings having less than 50, sometimes only close relatives are invited. We had close to 90 guests at our wedding and it was considered a huge wedding. The further south from Slovenia you travel, the more the number of guests increases, in countries like Northern Macedonia and Albania it can be up to 400 or 500 guests. If a wedding there takes place in a village or a small town, usually all residents are invited, so it can also be up to 1000 guests. Weddings there usually last a few days, well the actual wedding is on one day only, but the party goes on for 2 or 3 days but it can be up to one week. I was on one such wedding some years ago, it was very exhausting. In Slovenia, a wedding and a party, if there's a party involved, last 1 or 2 days at most.

This post has been edited by Lopov: Oct 27 2019, 06:29 PM

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 27 2019, 07:33 PM
Post #13513

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Oct 27 2019, 01:28 PM) *

Thank you all so much for your well wishes for my Son! There were close to four hundred guests

That's a lot of guests, weddings in our parts have between 50-100 hundred guests at most, with most weddings having less than 50, sometimes only close relatives are invited. We had close to 90 guests at our wedding and it was considered a huge wedding. The further south from Slovenia you travel, the more the number of guests increases, in countries like Northern Macedonia and Albania it can be up to 400 or 500 guests. If a wedding there takes place in a village or a small town, usually all residents are invited, so it can also be up to 1000 guests. Weddings there usually last a few days, well the actual wedding is on one day only, but the party goes on for 2 or 3 days but it can be up to one week. I was on one such wedding some years ago, it was very exhausting. In Slovenia, a wedding and a party, if there's a party involved, last 1 or 2 days at most.

Luckily; the guests came in shifts; though. For the actual Wedding itself there were not as many; though many of the guests had to stand to watch the ceremony because there weren't enough bales of hay to sit everyone = but as the evening progressed and people began getting off work they kept showing up till the numbers swelled; and the whole house and property were filled with people. They had a very long wooded drive; and the whole way out there were cars pulled in between trees where people made their own parking spots and walked in to the house, lol. We saw people emerging through the woods throughout, lol.

The weddings you described above where they celebrate for three days to (up to three weeks) = yes; where I grew up that is how the Weddings were done. The ceremony was the small part; the celebrating afterward was the big event, lol.

This post has been edited by mALX: Oct 27 2019, 07:37 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Oct 30 2019, 03:42 AM
Post #13514

Councilor
Group Icon

mALX, congratulations to your son and daughter-in-law! What a fantastic idea for a wedding, it sounds like amazing fun!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 30 2019, 04:46 AM
Post #13515

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Oct 29 2019, 10:42 PM) *

mALX, congratulations to your son and daughter-in-law! What a fantastic idea for a wedding, it sounds like amazing fun!

Thank you so much, Grits! It really was a blast; absolutely the most fun wedding I've ever been to! Most people dread being invited to weddings; but people were really happy to come to this one, lol.

Even if it hadn't been my son's wedding and reception; (if that hadn't been part of it) = it was the most fun party I've been to in years even without that part of it. The wedding vows were like the icing on the cake; just a really fantastic part of the party.

It really seemed to ease the tension off the Bride for "everything to be perfect," too. She was the most relaxed Bride I've ever seen before the ceremony, lol.

This post has been edited by mALX: Oct 30 2019, 04:48 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 30 2019, 04:33 PM
Post #13516

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Glad the wedding was such a blast! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Oct 30 2019, 07:58 PM
Post #13517

Master
Group Icon

I'm glad you got to enjoy a wedding and the reception afterward so much, mALX. I usually find such events to be a drag, and typically get drunk as fast as I can so it's not so painful biggrin.gif

I have news of my own. My new pulmonologist ran a full battery of tests to determine the cause of my chronic lung disease, like me he felt it was either hypersensitivity or immune. The biggest thing to come out of that is that I have nearly zero antibodies, and minimal reaction to the pneumonia vaccine they gave me at the same time. Because it was not only IgG that was severely low, but also my IgA, he sent me to an immunologist.

Saw this immunologist for the first time today. First she said my pulmonologist already did such a thorough job of testing for everything she didn't see the need for further tests. Then she diagnosed me with Common Variable Immunodeficiancy. She had me fill out paper work to enroll in a trial for subcutaneous IgG infusion that I can do at home on my own. It may take up to three weeks before I'm approved and get the equipment/drugs I need to do this. She did give me a flu shot, because as she put it, a minimal reaction is better than no reaction at all. In other words, if I don't try, I can't win.

And she thinks the reason I've been so tired and achy these past few weeks is because I'm fighting a flu infection. She thinks I should stay on prophylactic antibiotics for the time being.

Overall, I feel better just having a diagnosis, even a vague one like CVID. It sure explains a lot of what I had been seeing/experiencing since 2012.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 30 2019, 08:03 PM
Post #13518

Spam Meister
Group Icon

That sounds rough. I do hope you get what you need as soon as possible.

Best wishes, h-e-r! goodjob.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 30 2019, 08:08 PM
Post #13519

Ancient
Group Icon

Hopefully this means you can start to turn things around and start getting better in the future.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Oct 30 2019, 08:31 PM
Post #13520

Councilor
Group Icon

Rider, I hope this diagnosis is the start of big improvements for you.

--------------------
+Quote Post

706 Pages V « < 674 675 676 677 678 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:23 PM