Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Euro 2008, The ball is round and the game has 90 minutes!
stargelman
post Jun 13 2008, 10:00 PM
Post #1

Senor Snore
Group Icon

Ok I don't usually like to single out a team as a potential champion, but after today I'm pretty sure the Dutch will win this year.

What do you people think?

--------------------
Being good means getting better.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Jun 13 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #2

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

I've been very close to making one of these threads myself over the last few days, but I've spent so much time actually watching the matches I haven't found the time.

As for the Dutch, they look very good, however.... They're set up purely to counter attack. If they go a goal behind, and have to chase the game, I'm not sure they'll look quite as effective. Croatia looked very good the other day when they beat Germany as well. They were by far the better side, which I was surprised by.

I still think Spain look the best so far though - but we'll see more of them tomorrow. One of Spain, Holland, Germany or Portugal to win would be my guess. Obviously I'm supporting Germany or Holland though, in honour of our illustrious forum leaders wink.gif
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Jun 13 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #3

Wizard
Group Icon

Afaik we (the Dutch) haven't won any such contest since like 1683 orso, and I don't imagine we'll win it again this year. Though honesty compels me to say I've never been much of a sports fan, so I'll definitely not lose sleep over it wink.gif

--------------------
All that is needed for evil to triumph, is that good men stand idle.
+Quote Post
stargelman
post Jun 13 2008, 10:24 PM
Post #4

Senor Snore
Group Icon

You're wrong. You Dutchies won no WC and only one EC, but that wasn't so long ago: 1988!

And BSD, I assure you, the Spanish will finish the group phase with 9 points and then fail instantly in the quarter final. It's how they operate.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Jun 13 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #5

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(stargelman @ Jun 13 2008, 11:24 PM) *

You're wrong. You Dutchies won no WC and only one EC, but that wasn't so long ago: 1988!

And BSD, I assure you, the Spanish will finish the group phase with 9 points and then fail instantly in the quarter final. It's how they operate.

hehe, so I was only off by 305 years eh? I was expecting it to be more wink.gif

Nah, the Dutch will likely do what they always do, become too full of themselves and thus be defeated.

--------------------
+Quote Post
stargelman
post Jun 13 2008, 11:15 PM
Post #6

Senor Snore
Group Icon

I don't know about that. The last couple of times you had real divas on the field that rarely would play together - this time it didn't look like that at all.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Bolzmania
post Jun 14 2008, 10:52 AM
Post #7

Knower
Group Icon

I'm not sure.. Go Sweden?

--------------------
"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world"
+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post Jun 14 2008, 03:41 PM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

I'm not into sports so much, plus I'm an American. So good luck to everyone! biggrin.gif I'm just being fair and unbiased since I don't know squat about the teams or competition.
+Quote Post
Fargoth
post Jun 14 2008, 09:52 PM
Post #9

Evoker

I thought that France/Azebaijan/Turkey will win. But it seemed that the voting was all about the countries that is nearby each other.. It wasn't like the best wins. As Russia is pretty big and has alots of countries nearby, so it won. I didn't like them at all:(. Even the ones that done the dubbing (or whatever that's called) were guessing which country will vote for the others. and about 95% their guesses were right. Well that's what I thought tongue.gif

--------------------
Not often on the forums anymore.. Last time I've been here was about 3 months ago...
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Jun 14 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #10

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Fargoth @ Jun 14 2008, 10:52 PM) *

I thought that France/Azebaijan/Turkey will win. But it seemed that the voting was all about the countries that is nearby each other.. It wasn't like the best wins. As Russia is pretty big and has alots of countries nearby, so it won. I didn't like them at all:(. Even the ones that done the dubbing (or whatever that's called) were guessing which country will vote for the others. and about 95% their guesses were right. Well that's what I thought tongue.gif

Nice analysis, the Eurovision songcontest always seems to revolve around that doesn't it?

:whisper: Though perhaps it might be worth mentioning this thread is about the European Soccer championship wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Fargoth
post Jun 14 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #11

Evoker

OOPS! Sorry, didn't noticed xDD

--------------------
Not often on the forums anymore.. Last time I've been here was about 3 months ago...
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Jun 14 2008, 10:25 PM
Post #12

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

QUOTE(Fargoth @ Jun 14 2008, 10:16 PM) *

Haha! Don't worry about it, that made me smile smile.gif

I have to admit, after todays games my feelings have changed a little bit. Spain struggled to break down Sweden (as do every team, it's usually England who face them and head to a bore draw), and they weren't entirely convincing. I'm amazed they left their best right winger at home - Jouquin (sp?) plays for Valencia - as they seemed to be crying out for a little pace and width. With the strikers they've got though, I still think they'll cause any side they face problems.

As for the side I put a bet on, Russia, I'm feeling slightly more confident for their chances now (not hard after the drubbing they got in the first match) and I think they may have enough to beat Sweden. May have. They'll need their main striker to be far less selfish though, I was screaming at the t.v. as he squandered chance after chance...

It's getting interesting now biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Ibis
post Jun 15 2008, 06:35 AM
Post #13

Mouth
Group Icon

I will root for Poland. Are they in it??

--------------------
IPB Image <--- Moon Cookiies for all who join @ TESFU

+Quote Post
stargelman
post Jun 15 2008, 08:02 AM
Post #14

Senor Snore
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ibis @ Jun 15 2008, 07:35 AM) *

I will root for Poland. Are they in it??

For the moment... but so far they only managed to get one point, which is far too little.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Bolzmania
post Jun 15 2008, 09:04 AM
Post #15

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(BSD-IES @ Jun 14 2008, 11:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Fargoth @ Jun 14 2008, 10:16 PM) *

Haha! Don't worry about it, that made me smile smile.gif

I have to admit, after todays games my feelings have changed a little bit. Spain struggled to break down Sweden (as do every team, it's usually England who face them and head to a bore draw), and they weren't entirely convincing. I'm amazed they left their best right winger at home - Jouquin (sp?) plays for Valencia - as they seemed to be crying out for a little pace and width. With the strikers they've got though, I still think they'll cause any side they face problems.

As for the side I put a bet on, Russia, I'm feeling slightly more confident for their chances now (not hard after the drubbing they got in the first match) and I think they may have enough to beat Sweden. May have. They'll need their main striker to be far less selfish though, I was screaming at the t.v. as he squandered chance after chance...

It's getting interesting now biggrin.gif
Russia won't qualify! If it will be a tie between Russia and Sweden Sweden will qualify. Russia have to win. And I think that the reason why Spain won was because Zlatan (the absolutely best player that Spain is afraid of) didn't play the second half of the match.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Jun 15 2008, 09:23 AM
Post #16

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

QUOTE(Daedroth @ Jun 15 2008, 09:04 AM) *

Russia won't qualify! If it will be a tie between Russia and Sweden Sweden will qualify. Russia have to win. And I think that the reason why Spain won was because Zlatan (the absolutely best player that Spain is afraid of) didn't play the second half of the match.

I'm not sure, for several reasons.

One: Sweden are very much like England. They're strong, big, solid and have a tendency to look for long balls - bypassing the midfield. The problem with that is that it gives possession back to the opposition, and Russia are one of those sides that like to play a quick, short passing game.

Two: Wilhellmson (sp?) is out injured, and Elmander looked totally out of his depth on the right wing. He's a good striker, but clearly not a winger. All Sweden's attacks against Spain came down the left, with Freddie L. Talented guy, but he doesn't have the pace he used to. Russia will identify that (Huddink knows his stuff) and just double up on him. With Kallstrom not starting in central midfield (and I have NO IDEA why he isn't) Sweden don't look like they can unlock sides through the centre.

Three: Ibrahimovich is a very talented player, very true. I've been watching him for years now, back when he was at Ajax. Problem is he was injured towards the end of last season. He came on for Inter Milan's last game of the season against Parma, and turned the game. But he's not fully fit, and they're worried about him - hence not risking him for the second half against Spain. If he doesn't play or has to go off, the guy who came on to replace him against Spain looked...well, not great. In fact he looked again totally out of his depth.

Sweden are obviously the favourites to go through, but I just have a feeling that Russia might just monopolise possession, and sneak the win. We'll see though. I wouldn't complain if Sweden went through, it was only a small bet I put on Russia wink.gif
+Quote Post
minque
post Jun 15 2008, 09:45 PM
Post #17

Wise Woman
Group Icon

I'm happy I don't either like or watch football, but for the sake of it I'd say I hope Sweden will qualify......

there!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Jun 16 2008, 09:57 PM
Post #18

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

Well I just watched the Germany game, and they won, which I'm please about - for Starge mainly smile.gif

They weren't totally convincing though, Gomez who's started every game so far hasn't impressed me at all. They have a few outstanding players though. Lahm is the best fullback I've seen in the competition, Ballack is a class act, as is Frings. What a free kick by Ballack to win it though, stunning effort.

Germany vs Portugal then in the qf's. Tough one to call. Portugal will be favourites I guess, though I'd imagine it will be a very tight game. Should be good!
+Quote Post
stargelman
post Jun 16 2008, 11:15 PM
Post #19

Senor Snore
Group Icon

I doubt it.

I am less than convinced. Today's showing imho was catastrophic. It might sound harsh but I've seen much better from the Romanians in their game against Italy. At least not half of their passes ended nowhere, and they seemed to have an overall plan of what they wanted to accomplish - not so the German team. Not today, and not in the game against Croatia. And this time we can't excuse their poor performance by a strong opponent side. What the Austrians have shown today was third rate at best, they just happened to play a team in compassionate constitution and so over some time looked like equals. But what they did when they got close to the German goal was just pittyful in most cases.

So yeah, "we" won, but it won't mean a thing when it's quarter final time. Right now, I have no doubt the Portugese will wipe their boots with our team.

And Poland? Good god. I wanted them to get at least one goal against Croatia, which played with their B-team (10 new players!) but noooo... not even against that could they find a way, in fact most of the time the game was dominated by the Croatians who ended up getting their well deserved goal. Poland came close once, but all in all it was a very weak showing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Bolzmania
post Jun 17 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #20

Knower
Group Icon

I found out that if Sweden will qualify tomorrow they will meet the Dutches in the qf's. Just like 2004. And once again we will lose. kvright.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:13 PM