Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trey in Mournhold, Chapter 8
Wraithguard
post Oct 30 2006, 07:01 AM
Post #21

Associate

HI I i just joined the forums yesterday mainly to read the fan fiction biggrin.gif, anyways the reason im postings is becuase something doesn't tie in. Treydog, on your first story about treys adventures leading up to the final battle with dagoth ur, in the later chapters trey was looking for a good sword (ie daedric or ebony longsword) and he settled on a daedric katana with frost enchantment if i remember correctly, but he wouldve settled for ebony. but in this story, trey gets a ebony longsword from the orc guy. My point is that since the mournhold events took place before trey was looking for a good sword back in vvanderfell( he hasnt even went into kogoruhn yet) coudn't he concievably used said mournhold ebony longsword for his enchanting purposes instead of raiding a daedric ruin and mugging the golden saint he claimed the D. katana from, (since trey probably would have done everything he could not to go into a daedric ruin and mugging a golden saint for a sword, being a respectable thief and all)

Anyways it may be a good idea to give the orc guy back the sword after the fight with the redguard guy( assuming trey survives, redguards are very hard to beat, just ask my redguard character, i never had to reload becuase of death and my redguard is slower then a blighted mudcrab).

p.s. anyone know where i can find the rest of sinder velvins parodies indifferent.gif indifferent.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Oct 30 2006, 07:44 AM
Post #22

Master
Group Icon

Weapon eater, tiny fracture growing bigger when the blades clash, taken by the guards for illegal posession laugh.gif (Yeah, the last one is a joke). There are plenty of reasons why Trey would lose this sword.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
treydog
post Oct 30 2006, 09:52 PM
Post #23

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Wraithguard @ Oct 30 2006, 06:01 AM) *

HI I i just joined the forums yesterday mainly to read the fan fiction biggrin.gif, anyways the reason im postings is becuase something doesn't tie in. Treydog, on your first story about treys adventures leading up to the final battle with dagoth ur, in the later chapters trey was looking for a good sword (ie daedric or ebony longsword) and he settled on a daedric katana with frost enchantment if i remember correctly, but he wouldve settled for ebony. but in this story, trey gets a ebony longsword from the orc guy. My point is that since the mournhold events took place before trey was looking for a good sword back in vvanderfell( he hasnt even went into kogoruhn yet) coudn't he concievably used said mournhold ebony longsword for his enchanting purposes instead of raiding a daedric ruin and mugging the golden saint he claimed the D. katana from, (since trey probably would have done everything he could not to go into a daedric ruin and mugging a golden saint for a sword, being a respectable thief and all)

Anyways it may be a good idea to give the orc guy back the sword after the fight with the redguard guy( assuming trey survives, redguards are very hard to beat, just ask my redguard character, i never had to reload becuase of death and my redguard is slower then a blighted mudcrab).

p.s. anyone know where i can find the rest of sinder velvins parodies indifferent.gif indifferent.gif

No worries- I am aware of the fact that this is Trey's second (or first) "quest for a better blade." I have already planned for why he will not have it when he returns to Vvardenfell. (And why he doesn't get Yagak to make him another one.) All will be revealed in time.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Nov 3 2006, 12:20 AM
Post #24

Master
Group Icon

Very nice job Trey, I loved the negotiations with Yagak. Brilliant way of saying it would take a while
Bols Indalen quietly brought a couple of stools and some mugs of matze
. I love it, please continue Trey.

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
treydog
post Nov 4 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #25

Master
Group Icon

A short one today- just enough to whet your appetites (I hope).

With those preliminary preparations done, the most important task left was also the most difficult- I needed to relax. I knew I would not be able to rest in a room at the Winged Guar, not with Karrod just a few feet away. I had heard of professional duelists who could take a meal together quite companionably before going out and trying their best to kill one another- that struck me as most unnatural. Therefore, I retreated to my hidden corner of the Palace basement and my alchemy apparatus. Helseth had rather broadly set the conditions of the duel as “whatever magic or martial means you can command.” And for me, that meant a careful selection of potions to compensate for Karrod’s greater skill, strength, and endurance. Despite my misgivings, the formal nature of this fight did have some advantages. Unlike a chance meeting in a cave somewhere, I could dispense with most of the paraphernalia I usually dragged along. Scrolls, books, repair hammers, and sheaves of extra arrows were all useful for an extended exploration in the wilderness, but then so were ropes, backpacks, and a few changes of undergarments. I did not really think the big Redguard would wait politely while I pounded out a dent in my shield or brewed up a little something to heal my wounds. Therefore, the question was- what did I need on hand before the fight started? Healing potions were a given, as were draughts to restore fatigue. It would also help if I could manage something to boost my strength and speed.

As I weighed out ingredients, I thought long and hard about creating potions to fortify health. There was no question of their effectiveness- the problem was that they were a two-edged sword. A person who dosed himself heavily could sustain tremendous injuries and feel just fine- until the potions wore off and he dropped dead. There was always a price to be paid for any alchemical enhancement. Finally, I decided to mix up a few with a promise to be judicious in their use. Of course, the other thing I had to be careful of was taking too many different potions at once. The interactions could be—unpredictable. Poisoning myself was only one danger. There was also the possibility of more peculiar side-effects- for example seeing a dancing purple guar- who would doubtless sing about how wonderful it would be to get along with one another. That was the sort of thing that could send the calmest person into a murderous rage. Fury and killing frenzies were fine at the proper time and place, but I could not afford impaired judgment against Karrod.

To my surprise, I was able to sleep peacefully on a pile of old sacks in the storage area. The scent of grain reminded me of a time in my past that was not necessarily happier, but that had certainly been less complicated. Perhaps it was that which allowed me to rest or perhaps it was because I had done all that I could to prepare. Though I knew that my life was poised on the edge of a blade, I saw no purpose to be served by pacing and fretting. If I dreamed, I do not recall it- I was roused to wakefulness by the tramp of feet and the ritual calls of the changing guards. It was the morning of what might very well be the last day of my life and I was at peace with myself. My fate rested in my own hands, safe from the machinations of kings or deities.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Nov 4 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #26

Master
Group Icon

well.... good luck with Korrod. I liked the memory part, and the deciding what to bring part.... and the potions part.... yeah i think i liked this addition. Please, i can't wait for more.

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
minque
post Nov 4 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #27

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ah..intelligent as usual. Trey prepares for the fight with utmost precision, right kinda stuff to bring, no dead-meat...hmmm yeah I´m so convinced that he´ll make it..as usual

Waiting eagerly for more!

Oh let´s give out the old famous:

S.G.M

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
canis216
post Nov 5 2006, 12:05 AM
Post #28

Knower
Group Icon

A nice update. Trey's preparations remind me of some of my own when in Mournhold. I spent a lot of time brewing potions in the basement.

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Nov 5 2006, 02:59 AM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

Nice update Trey. This is a perfect example of the calm before the storm. That storm being Karrod!!

I'm sure this duel will be quite interesting to say the least.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Nov 5 2006, 03:46 AM
Post #30

Master
Group Icon

Am I the only one who got the "Barney" Joke?

Great Update Trey, and yes, that would send most of us into a furious rage!
+Quote Post
canis216
post Nov 5 2006, 08:12 AM
Post #31

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(Black Hand @ Nov 4 2006, 07:46 PM) *

Am I the only one who got the "Barney" Joke?

Great Update Trey, and yes, that would send most of us into a furious rage!

I try not to acknowledge the presence of purple dinosaur-like creatures... life is complicated enough without flying into a furious rage. But I noticed.

Anyway... I'm looking forward to the next installment. Of course.

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
Wraithguard
post Nov 6 2006, 05:44 AM
Post #32

Associate

huzzah, another epic battle yay, please hurry trey

lol i think im gonna make a pluggi to add in a dancing purple guar now.
+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Nov 6 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #33

Knower
Group Icon

Trey certainly has changed during his time in Mournhold. To be able to calmly prepare for his potentially imminent death is something Trey the thief couldn't have done. I was intrigued by the discussion of potion side effects; it added a nice dose of realism and intrigue. I'm looking forward to seeing how the fight turns out.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Nov 9 2006, 07:47 PM
Post #34

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Kinda short one here but still quite well done. I like the descriptions of the thoughts Trey is having before battle and the way he'll have to prepare differently than if he were fighting in a cave or in the wilderness. I also liked the mention of potions reacting with eachother and the explanation of the dangers of a fortify health potion as well.

Keep up the good work Trey. I'll be waiting for the next bit.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
treydog
post Nov 19 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #35

Master
Group Icon

Still enveloped in that peculiar calm, I gathered the items I had selected the previous night. As I carefully tightened the straps on my armor, I looked regretfully at my quivers of arrows, knowing that they would be of no use to me today. Even if I could have managed a bow in the confines of the Throne Room, I would not. I understood that this was a different sort of fight, one in which style was almost as important as winning. The duel was a “command performance” – my chance to prove my worth to the king. Actually, that was a pretense- this was simply Helseth’s latest ploy to have me killed. I had to not only thwart that scheme, but also do it in a convincing fashion. It was simple- I had to not get killed and make it look easy. When I entered the Throne Room, the king bestowed upon me the look of a cat contemplating an oblivious rodent. Gesturing expansively, he intoned,

“Ahhh...you have come to meet Karrod in battle. Good for you. Karrod is looking a bit under the weather today, but no matter. Perhaps you've heard that Karrod has never been defeated in battle? It's true. Amazing, don't you think? Regardless, this will be a fair fight. You may both use whatever weapons are at your disposal. I wish you both luck. None are to interfere, and you will begin on my command.”

I paid no attention to Helseth’s taunting blather, but focused entirely upon Karrod. If anything, the Redguard warrior looked even larger than I remembered and his blood-shot eyes did nothing to lessen the menace that seemed to surround him like a cloak. Still watching my soon-to-be opponent, I gave a curt nod to acknowledge Helseth’s recitation of the rules. He mercifully ceased his bleating and signaled the other guards, who withdrew to the perimeter of the room, leaving a cleared space in the center. And now it was just Karrod and me. I experienced a brief spate of mixed feelings- on the one hand, I respected the Redguard for his fighting prowess; but on the other hand, I had nothing but contempt for the elf he served. Nevertheless, it was the man himself who mattered, and so I raised my beautifully-worked ebony blade in salute to him. For it was not about kings or plots or intrigue anymore; it was about two men facing each other with swords in their hands- something Helseth would never understand. I still did not want to be there, did not want to fight Karrod, did not want to kill or be killed- and yet, I knew to the very core of my being that this was where I must be. My doubts, my fears, my complaints- I took them all and sealed them away. The place was here and the time was now.

Karrod returned my salute and I got my first good look at his sword. It was clearly of great antiquity and also of Dwemer make. The blade was oddly shaped, as if it had been shattered long ago and reshaped by a competent but unimaginative smith. Still, the edge looked sharp enough to shave ice, and I knew that Dwemer metal was durable and could sustain serious abuse without losing its strength. For long seconds, neither Karrod nor I moved. Then he brought his blade down into a guard position and took a careful step to the right. I mirrored his move, turning to keep my shield toward his blade. The only sounds were the hoarse breathing of the guards and the scuff of our boots on the marble floor. And then, in an explosion of movement, the Redguard charged me. Where before there had been stillness and slow movement, now there was a spinning, leaping demon, a blood-red blur intent on spilling my blood upon the white floor. Almost as frightening as his speed was the utter silence with which he conducted his attack, broken only by an occasional grunt of effort. Thrusts and slashes too numerous to count reached for my head, my legs, my torso, then back again toward my head. I had no time to counter-attack, but could only retreat, using both sword and shield to defend against the deadly flurry. Even though I was successful in blocking the blows, the power behind them nearly numbed my arms to the shoulder. It was hardly credible that a human being could hit so hard and so fast. I knew that I would have to fight back quickly, before my shield shattered from the constant assault.

My counter would have to be careful as well as quick. The usual diversionary tactics, such as a loud shout or a pretended slip, would probably not work and might even get me in deeper trouble. And then it seemed that an alien presence entered my body, as if it were putting on a coat. I seemed to be merely a spectator as my right index finger straightened and pointed at Karrod. Words of ancient magic issued from my lips and a small fireball flashed toward the Redguard’s face. However, a cat-quick strike of his blade jarred my hand and the fiery orb whizzed past his ear, to spray harmlessly against the wall. Although the fireball missed, its near passage did cause Karrod to blink, giving me just enough time to beat aside his sword with my shield and score a gash along his ribs. The wound was not deep, but bled profusely and seemed to drain some of the warrior’s determination with it. Perhaps it had been so long since he had sustained a wound that he had forgotten how to ignore the pain. Or perhaps the long night drinking brandy was beginning to show an effect. Whatever the reason, Karrod’s quick movements slowed a bit, and mine seemed to speed up. I worked a dangerous strategy- darting in to send a probing stab or slash and then hastily backing out of reach. Though wounded and slowed, he was still as deadly as an avalanche, and I took my life in my hands every time I came within his reach. I learned the truth of that when a sudden thrust got past my guard and gashed my left thigh. I gulped the healing potion I held in my shield hand before the wound could sap my strength.

The fact that Karrod was unable to follow up what should have been a decisive hit told me all I needed to know and I pressed my own attack with renewed energy. The opening sequence was reversed, as I now forced the Redguard back with blow after blow and he went completely on the defensive. Even so, his skill was so great that I could not end the fight with a single thrust. Instead, I had to nick his arms and legs as he guarded his torso and head. At last, a deeper wound went into his leg and he fell to one knee. Dropping his blade, he gasped,

“Hold! I am beaten! You are the greater warrior, Trey”

Even greater than my surprise that I had survived was the revelation that Karrod was not mute, after all. I nearly dropped my own sword in surprise. In the background, I heard a rumble of astonished voices and Helseth babbling something, but my attention was still upon Karrod. His face was a study, as he looked both stunned and…. Hopeful? There was something odd here, something that I did not fully understand. Something more had just occurred than a duel. In that moment, a bond sprang up between Karrod and I, a feeling that it was destiny that had brought us together, rather than Helseth. Regardless of what he might have believed, the king was just as much a pawn as I. I knelt to put an arm around Karrod’s shoulders and pressed a couple of my healing potions upon him. In truth, he hardly seemed to need them- his wounds appeared almost to heal as I watched. I glanced down at his oddly-formed blade and had a sudden inspiration. Grasping my own sword, I reversed it and presented it to the Redguard fighter. Such a formidable warrior deserved a blade in keeping with his abilities- besides, even though it had probably saved my life, I felt a bit guilty about having Ra’Tesh get him drunk the night before. And so I put the hilt of the ebony blade in his hand and said,

“This blade served me well and I see that yours is damaged. Take this sword as a sign of my respect for you.”

He looked at the sword with wonder and then set it aside. Taking up his own weapon he told me,

“When I was a child, my father gave me this weapon. He told me that as long as I had it, none would defeat me in battle...until the rightful owner came to claim it from me. I know now that you are the one of whom he spoke. I give it to you freely. May it serve you as well as it has served me.”

And as I grasped the hilt of the ancient Dwemer weapon, I thought I heard a voice in my head saying, “Done!”

--------------------

+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Nov 19 2006, 06:22 PM
Post #36

Master
Group Icon

Wow.

I don't know what to say, except this: I was considering ceasing writing, until I read this. With this update Trey, you have re-inspired me, and reminded me why I started my fan fiction to begin with.

Your simplicity in woven elegantly with complexity into a wonderful tapestry that I can only hope to one day reflect in my works.

Hail, editor-in-chief!
+Quote Post
minque
post Nov 19 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #37

Wise Woman
Group Icon

When I entered the Throne Room, the king bestowed upon me the look of a cat contemplating an oblivious rodent.

yessss.......another great quote to my collection of Trey-quotes!
I´m so happy for him to have managed Karrod the way he did.....must admit I was a bit worried though! Now I feel like writing again after reading this inspiring update, just hope there will be time for it in the nearest future.

Anyway.....way to go Trey!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
canis216
post Nov 19 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #38

Knower
Group Icon

Wow. Now that was something. A spectacular chapter.

--------------------
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Nov 19 2006, 08:02 PM
Post #39

Master
Group Icon

Fantastic. That's all I have to say.

Hmm, I wonder if that ancient Dwemer sword is actually Nerevar's. I mean, Nerevar was good friends with the Dwemer king. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a Dwemer sword as a gift of friendship. With Trey being the Nerevarine, this would be some neat symbolism, him wielding Nerevar's blade.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Nov 19 2006, 11:16 PM
Post #40

Master
Group Icon

Amazing duel, Trey. I could tell the amount of time you put into writing this update, as it is flawless.

Wonderful work, Trey!

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:47 PM