Closed TopicStart new topic
> Old Habits Die Hard Part Two, An old dog learns new tricks
Destri Melarg
post Jun 2 2010, 12:19 AM
Post #21

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Jun 1 2010, 09:57 AM) *

As for the awkward sentences, I did rewrite them, but I wanted to convey that Julian didn't want to turn her back on Harrow, a potential assailant. She would rather keep him in front of her, with or without her katana.

I went back and re-read the sentence in question. It turns out the mistake was mine, not yours. I withdraw my earlier comment about it.

Chapter 8.4 The Dagon Shrine

This was a fantastic chapter! It feels as if the entire story just accelerated. Finally battle is truly joined between Julian and the Mythic Dawn. From here on everything is ALL NEW!!!

Not only is Julian too late to get the amulet, she has to stand in front of Ruma Camoran for her initiation into the Mythic Dawn. You description of her mental state as she is led to the dais by Harrow, and of the gray undertone to the skin of the Argonian, are excellent.

The moment of recognition when Ruma calls Julian the ‘Hero of Kvatch’ was quite a shock. It stands as the one time when I didn’t want Julian to be recognized. I love the jumble of thoughts that run through her mind. The fact that:
Get my money back from that fetcher.

comes before

Get the Argonian out of here alive.

is priceless!

The battle that follows is magnificent! Ruma’s staff is particularly nasty! The giant statue crumbling when Julian takes the book reminded me of an Indiana Jones movie. Jeelius proves to be an able companion to have on your six. The Adrenaline Rush that enables Julian to perform super-human feats is perfectly explained, as is the subsequent crash that leaves her as weak as a newborn afterwards. I’m also glad that Julian was able to reclaim her weapons and armor. I wasn’t sure how she would manage that when all hell broke loose. Can you tell I had a good time reading this? I am left with only one question:

Did Julian get her money back?

Edit: Hey, that was my 200th post. Now I have a daedric oht under my name! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Destri Melarg: Jun 2 2010, 12:26 AM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 2 2010, 04:01 PM
Post #22

Paladin
Group Icon

Three chapters.

The first was a wonderful interlude full of character development at the Newlands Lodge - I loved it.

The second was a transition to and into Mankar's lair. Necessary and nicely done to set the stage for what would follow.

The third required an epic fight scene. Oh my. You did not disappoint. It was magnificent, my friend!

I continue to really enjoy Julian's story.

This post has been edited by Acadian: Jun 2 2010, 04:01 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Olen
post Jun 2 2010, 07:33 PM
Post #23

Mouth
Group Icon

Whew... All caught up now and that last part was quite something, really exciting smile.gif And we have another character, I'm interested to see how you deal with Jeelius, I've never had him alive when I've left the base so it will be a first for me meeting him.

slowing my heartbeat to a sedate thumping in my chest

This line didn't sit well with me seeing as in the circumstances there would be enough adrenaline (of a non magical kind) that her heart would be hammering regradless and the subsequent scene was of a most heart pounding nature. Most heart pounding... it was excellent, I would go as far as to say my favourite yet.

I stabbed him in the throat and grabbed his crotch with my left hand. I placed my right knee behind his legs and raised my left hand, upending him over my thigh

Wooo biggrin.gif Perhaps a shade OTT after a stab in the throat but you just described a rather brutal version one of my favourite throws. Awsome.

I also like that you made more fo Mankar Cameron still being around than the game does, but if I listed everything I liked about that chapter I'd be going paragraph by paragraph...

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jun 3 2010, 04:32 PM
Post #24

Master
Group Icon

@ D.Foxy: Nudity is, as always, purely optional. biggrin.gif

@mALX: You are much too easy! Fainting at Foxy's innocuous comments? laugh.gif

@SubRosa: I have the exact same problem as you - I always forget about those once-a-day powers. My Dunmer has never used her Ancestor Guardian, my Imperial has never used her Voice, and my Nord has never used - what the heck is it Nords have??

@Destri: Your comments are almost as much fun to read as my chapter was to write (the last draft of it anyway). I'm glad you enjoyed this chapter!

@Acadian: Thank you, Paladin. Julian and I aim to please! (aside to Foxy: quiet!)

@Olen: It takes me several run-throughs and multiple saves to get Jeelius out alive. I like his reward when I catch up to him again in the Temple of the One later in the quest. Though Jeelius will not adventure again with Julian like that, he will be a friend in much the same manner as Aelwyn. There will come a time when Julian will need such friends. As for the slowing of the heartbeat at the moment of discovery, I wanted to convey how much Jelin's teachings have affected Julian's combat style. Think of Jelin as a kind of Zen warrior monk, and you'll see that in Julian's mindset at scary moments like this.

After much fanfare, this marks the first post of entirely new material (i.e. never before seen on any forum). Enjoy, everybody!

After the chaos of the Dagon Shrine, Julian is looking forward to a peaceful night’s sleep. Will she get it? We’ll see.

Chapter 8.5 The Newlands Lodge

The snow had changed to rain by the time we reached the city gates. Bone-tired and weary, we trudged up to the guard, who looked as miserable as we felt.

He grinned at me in greeting, but his welcome faded as his eye fell on Jeelius, soaked woolen robes unmistakably red in the darkness. “This is Jeelius,” I said, anxious to avoid trouble. “He saved my hide more than once today. That in spite of the fact that he was the intended sacrifice for a Daedric cult.” Catching the guard’s stare at the red robe, I realized the source of his unease. “I gave him that robe to stay warm,” I finished, putting firmness in my tired voice.

“Any of those worshippers still alive?” the guard turned his gaze back to me. “Can we expect any more trouble from there?”

“A lot of them are dead,” I shrugged. “As for the rest, who knows?”

“Perhapss they will ssee the error of their wayss and leave the cult,” Jeelius volunteered, his voice carefully neutral. He gestured at me. “If not for Julian, I would have been dead, mysself. It iss I who owe my life.”

I shifted my feet as the guard grinned at me, rapping the gate at the same time in the signal to open. Again, the gate was unbarred and opened from within. Again, the guard inside greeted me as the Hero of Kvatch.

“It’s late,” I said to Jeelius, leading him to the Newlands Lodge, “and I’m tired. Let’s get inside and get some food and sleep.”

“Ssoundss good,” he answered. “It hass been a very long day.” The right corner of my mouth twitched at his ironic tone as I opened the door and waved him inside.

Within, we encountered the Orsimeri again. They gave me a quick glance, and stared at Jeelius with open hostility. I paused beside their table and waited until they looked away from Jeelius, carefully avoiding my gaze. As we moved to the back room where Romalen waited, I heard the Orcs muttering behind me, but could not make out their words.

“Hello, muthsera,” I greeted Romalen, remembering the Dunmer honorific. “I’d like supper for two,” I indicated Jeelius and myself, “and another bed for the night.”

“Of course,” Romalen had already begun filling two plates with hot, hearty stew. “Any friend of Julian’s,” she set a plate in front of Jeelius, “is always welcome here,” she smiled at the Argonian as she set the second plate in front of me. Easing the small bag from my shoulder to the floor, I picked up my fork and started in on the grub.

“It sseemss Julian is well known here,” Jeelius replied, following suit with his own utensil. “I am grateful to you, muthsera.”

Romalen glanced at me. “How was the fishing?” she asked. I looked blankly at her before recalling our conversation earlier in the morning.

“Ah, they didn’t bite,” I answered, pointing at Jeelius with my fork, “but I caught something better - a new friend.” In the corner of my eye I saw Jeelius’s fork falter on its way to his mouth.

“Maybe next time,” Romalen said with a smile.

“Why?” I asked. “Would you like some?”

“It’d be a nice change from the usual, wouldn’t it?” she countered. Her eyes flickered beyond me scornfully. “Not that they’ll appreciate it, though.”

I shrugged. “Most Orsimeri are appreciative of good cooking,” I remarked. “At least the ones I’ve known. They tend to have generous hearts and good spirits, for all that they’re so brusque and curt.” I couldn’t help smiling at the disbelieving glances from both Romalen and Jeelius. “After all,” I slapped my cuirass pointedly, “it was an incredibly skilled Orc smith who took this cuirass from something ordinary and made it into my second skin, and wouldn’t accept fair recompense for the work.”

“I had wondered about that,” Romalen spoke slowly, uncertainty in her red eyes. “I hear that you’re the Hero of Kvatch. Is it true?”

I looked down at my plate, concentrating on my meal. Beside me, Jeelius finished the last bite and set his fork down with a soft clink on the clay dish. “Aye, I believe sso,” he said softly. “I had heard the rumorss in the Imperial City, before I wass kidnapped.” He cast a sidelong glance at me. “A sskinny Redguard woman, with white hair, carrying the shield of Kvatch, iss the ssame woman who went into the Oblivion Gate outsside the city and clossed it by hersself.”

I sighed. So that’s how they recognized me. Heard the same rumors, likely. “I won’t deny it,” I said finally, finishing my food. “But I’ won't talk about it, either.”

“But your story is the best news we’ve had in a while,” Romalen exclaimed softly. Beside me, Jeelius nodded. “All right, I won’t speak more of it,” the Dunmer shook her finger at me warningly. “But get used to it. People will seize any shred of hope, any bit of good news, in dark times.”

“And we need it, thesse dayss,” Jeelius agreed quietly.

Romalen cleared away the plates. “Julian,” she turned back to me. “I can see that both of you are tired. I’ve held the room you took last night, but I have a customer in the other room. There’s only a bed out on the landing just outside the two rooms.”

“That’s fine,” I answered. “We’ll take that bed, too. How much for it, ten drakes?”

“Of course not!” Romalen exclaimed in mock offense. “What do you take me for, a scalper? That one bed’s half-price because it has no privacy.”

With a smile I handed her the gold. “Here you are, then. Thanks, muthsera.” I rose to my feet, picking up the bag. “Good night, and we’ll see you in the morning.”

“Good night, friends,” Romalen returned, returning the smile. “Sleep well.”

Jeelius followed me back to the common room, where the Orsimeri still nursed their brews. This time, they did not look up as we passed, but their murmurs took on an ominous tone as we headed up the stairs. They sound like trouble. At the top of the stairs, I surveyed the landing, spotting the bed off to one side near the doors. Though I didn’t like how exposed it was to the stairs, I liked the sound of the Orcs below even less.

“Jeelius,” I led him into the room I had used the night before. My pack still sat on the bed where I had left it, undisturbed. The Kvatch shield rested against the wall, the bow and Daedra Slayer still laid on top of the dresser.

Placing the pack on the floor next to the dresser, I picked up Daedra Slayer and turned to the Argonian. “Sleep here,” I gestured toward the bed. “I’ll take that one out there.”

“You’re paying for the room,” Jeelius matched my quiet tone. “You sshould have the privacy.”

“I’ve slept in barracks for years,” I countered softly. “I’m used to the lack of it. Besides,” I hefted Daedra Slayer, “I’m better armed than you.” His eyes widened at my words.

“You expect trouble?” he hissed. “Very well, I sshall trusst in your judgment.”

“And lock the door,” I said as I stepped out. A second later, I heard the lock click, and moved quietly to the cot. Carefully, soundlessly, I drew my katana and laid it along the edge of the cot, Daedra Slayer on the floor within easy reach. After I turned the lamp beside the bed down, I lay on my left side, the katana’s hilt beneath my right hand.

It wasn’t long before a soft scuffle on the stairs roused me from a deep slumber. My right hand tightened involuntarily on the katana as my eyes searched out the source of the noise. The bulk of an Orsimer creeping up the stairs greeted my gaze, surprisingly quiet in spite of his bulk. As he moved towards my location, I caught the glimmer of a dagger blade in one large fist.

By his groping movements, I knew his night vision hadn’t returned after the relatively bright light downstairs. Once he was within blade-range, I sat up, whipping the katana forward to rest the tip against his bare throat. The Orsimer froze, not breathing.

“Did you expect an unarmed guest?” I whispered, for I could hear the snores of the guests in the rooms behind me. While I wanted to avoid making a scene, I wanted to make my intent clear - make the wrong move and you will be dead.

--------------------
+Quote Post
D.Foxy
post Jun 3 2010, 04:43 PM
Post #25

Knower
Group Icon

Very good.

I personally would have put a clanger (something to knock over in the dark and make a sound ) at the head of the stairs, but overall your security procedures are quite fair.

Continue the good work!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 3 2010, 04:54 PM
Post #26

Ancient
Group Icon

Nords get blond hair! Seriously though, Nords get a once a day shield and a once a day frost attack, plus a hefty resistance to frost. The Imperials really seem to take it on the chin when it comes to racial abilities. They can absorb fatigue (in Morrowind that would help, but in Oblivion I found I can just ignore fatigue completely with no issues) and get a once a day charm. I have been trying to think of good bonuses to give them instead. With the idea of making them more like Romans, I gave them an endurance and willpower bonus. I was thinking of removing the dragon skin from the Bretons and giving it to the Imperials instead, as the extra magicka and resist magic that Bretons already have is already uber as it is.

But this is supposed to be about Julian. On to her, I wanted to observe that I like how you portray the gate guards as exactly that, guards. They are there to look over whoever wants in and out of the city and stop people who might be dangerous. Where in the game they feel ornamental (unless you have a bounty on you, in which case their guard radar will pick you out for that apple you stole in Hammerfell two years ago).

I see our poor Redguard is being tortured with praise again! Oh horror of horrors! laugh.gif The way you worked that into Julian's realization of how she was recognized by the Mythic Dawn touched my economical writer's heart.

And now look who ends with a cliffhanger!

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jun 4 2010, 01:19 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 3 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #27

Ancient
Group Icon

WOO HOO !!!!! Already the Mythic Dawn are seeking Julian out for killing their brethren! WOOOOOOT !!!!!

I am so hyped about getting new material on this story!!!!! YEAH !!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olen
post Jun 3 2010, 07:56 PM
Post #28

Mouth
Group Icon

Hmmm a fight with the Orum gang, well an encounter anyway. You've ended on a cliffy, again. I'm confused as to the Orc's motive, but I'm sure all will be revealed.

And more of her trying to duck out of fame, just wait until the Mythic Dawn start attacking her, then its really going to be hard to avoid being noticed and applauded. It should be fun to watch her squirm, she's a really strong character now and things like that round her off excellently.

I await more with excitment smile.gif

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
ureniashtram
post Jun 3 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #29

Knower
Group Icon

I always wondered why I haven't caught up yet on your wonderful story. Is is because I'm busy? Nah. Is it because of my stories? Of course not.

Or is it because of my self centered attitude? More likely! Lolz.

Anyway, I liked the description of the battle in Chapter 8.4. Brutal and outright pandemonium erupted, I like that in stories. And your description of the bittersweet taste of Adrenaline Rush is just fantastic!

And expanding Jeelius' role rather than a prisoner? Brilliant!

I will stay tuned and wait for the next update, H.E.R!

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Djinn: What wish would you like to have, young master?
Random dude: SUPA POWAZ!
--
Djinn: Is there anything I could make true, lord?
Old guy: .. Youth and charisma.
--
Djinn: Your heart speaks of wanting. I could make it true, milord.
Me: Hmmm. I wish to know what I want. Then you could hook me up in some insidious deal, spirit.
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Jun 3 2010, 11:42 PM
Post #30

Mouth
Group Icon

SubRosa has already beaten me in praising your use of the guards that mind the gate into Cheydinhal. I might add that, in addition to their ‘guard radar’ that gives them knowledge of past crimes committed, the in-game guards prove useful if your horse is being chased by a pesky troll that you can’t be bothered to swat.

Julian continues to prove herself equal to the title ‘Hero of Kvatch’. Her reluctance to acknowledge it is precisely what makes her worthy of it. What was it that Tumindil said in the Skingrad Chapel (I think it was Tumindil)? That Julian is a natural protector. Well, she does give Jeelius her bed to protect him from the Orum gang.

Sounds like a ‘Hero’ to me. wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jun 5 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #31

Master
Group Icon

@D.Foxy: Julian, like me, is a light sleeper and wakes easily at the slightest sound. Besides, an Orc trying to sneak quietly up the stairs? His brachycephalic breathing would rouse the dead! But thanks for the advice, I'll keep the clanger in mind.

@SubRosa: Yes, Julian has a hard time adjusting to the praise. It'll be a while before she's comfortable being recognized as the Hero of Kvatch. Worse is yet to come for her!

@mALX Kitty: As always, your enthusiasm is welcome! biggrin.gif

@Olen: I think you'll like her first encounter with a Mythic Dawn secret agent. Though why we call them secret beats the heck out of me, since they always blow their cover at their first sight of the Hero of Kvatch. Wait until she has to explain that one! As for the Orum gang, my feeling is that a come-to-Jesus meeting between these Orcs and Julian is inevitable. Whether this encounter is enough to clear the air, or more needs to be done later, I'll let Julian (and the rest of us) find out.

@ureniashtram: Welcome to Julian's world! I'm glad to see you here! I hope you continue to enjoy this story. I try to throw in enough testosterone for the guys to balance the chick stuff. I'm glad you enjoyed the slam-bang-pow-bash in Chapter 8.4.

@Destri: Julian finds the guards useful when dealing with the Mythic Dawn agents! laugh.gif Thanks for remembering Tumindil's comment that Julian is a Protector. I am forever grateful to that Altmer for so clearly defining Julian's natural instincts.

And now I shall end the cliffhanger.

Chapter 8.6 Trouble

With the tip of my katana against the Orsimer’s throat, I sat up and swung my feet to the floor. I waited until he spread his hands, lowering the dagger to the floor. My left hand reached to the floor and picked up Daedra Slayer, shaking the scabbard off the enchanted blade. I rose and walked forward, keeping the katana against the other’s neck, forcing him back one step at a time. When he reached the top of the stairs, he paused. Now I stood next to the dagger, and I kicked it over the edge of the landing, hearing it clattering down the stairs.

With a pointed gesture from the katana, I motioned for him to turn around and head down the steps, resting the tip of my blade against his back, over his left kidney. “Slow,” I warned him. “One step at a time, friend.”

His hands up, he obeyed, walking down the stairs slowly. My katana still on him, I followed, extending Daedra Slayer to my left over the bannister as we cleared the upper floor. I could see the other Orsimeri standing beside their table, on the other side of the common room. One of the mer held Romalen in his fist, other hand over her mouth. He met my gaze over Romalen’s dark head, and I recognized gro-Gharz.

“I’m not in the mood,” I warned, hearing the implacability in my tone. “Release the lady now.”

“Why?” gro-Gharz challenged me. I nudged the Orsimer in front of me with the katana.

“What’s your name?” I asked him. “I like to know the names of my friends.”

“Magub gro-Orum,” he answered, his voice filled with anger. “And I’m not your friend!”

“Really?” I asked. “Are you sure you want to be my enemy?” Not waiting for an answer, I looked at the others. “And the rest of you?” At the bottom of the stairs, I stepped to one side to keep all the Orsimeri in my line of sight. Two of them were female, and seemed uneasy, but the two male mer scowled at me. “Come on,” I put a joshing tone in my voice, “I like to know who my friends are.”

“Borba gra-Uzgash,” one of the females, stylishly dressed with a courtly hairstyle, answered first. She stepped sideways, away from the others, her open palms held out at her side. “I run Borba’s Trade and Goods next door.” She shot a scornful glance at the men. “I want no part of this,” she spat, her fierceness directed more towards the males than at me.

“Then leave peacefully, friend,” I said to her. “I shall not hold this against you, gra-Uzgash.”

“Thanks,” she said, backing toward the door, more wary of the other Orsimeri than of me. The other female made to follow her, but stopped when I shook my head at her.

“Oghash gra-Magul,” she answered my look. “Like Borba, I want no part of this.”

“I believe you, friend,” I responded, moving my blades to encompass the men, still clustered together. “Leave so I can settle this misunderstanding.” Gra-Magul did not need encouragement. The door closed quietly behind her as she left the inn.

“Magub gro-Orum,” I said, when the other mer remained angrily silent, “why don’t you introduce your friends?”

He glowered at me. Stay cool. If they really wanted to harm me, they would already have done so. They are angry because they have misjudged me. I locked gazes with him.

“Magub, I have no wish to get the Guard involved in this,” I kept my tone neutral. “But if you have no wish to be my friends, then I’ll have to kill you all.”

The third Orsimer snorted derisively. “I am Dulfish gro-Orum,” he growled. “I run the Orum gang, and you don’t scare me at all!”

I turned my gaze on him. “Then, Dulfish, I shall have to admit that you scare me,” I kept my tone quiet. “And like the scamps and dremora who have scared me, I shall have to kill you.” His black eyes widened at my words, whether at my admission of my fear, or the reminder of the rumors about the Hero of Kvatch, I wasn’t certain.

Dulfish gro-Orum spoke sharply to gro-Gharz in an undertone. The big Orsimer released Romalen, who moved to stand behind me, clear of my blades. ‘You would admit that you are afraid of us?” gro-Orum questioned. “Of me, of Magub, of Bazur gro-Gharz?”

“I fear my enemies, but not my friends,” I answered. “My friends do not harm me, nor do they betray my trust in them.” I shrugged, Daedra Slayer mirroring the flickering light from the lanterns with its own fiery shimmer. “Do I have reason to fear you?”

“You bet -” gro-Gharz began, but gro-Orum slapped him up the back of his head.

“Quiet, Bazur!” he snapped. Looking back at me, he held his hands out to his sides. “It would seem that we have underestimated you, Hero of Kvatch,” he remarked, his tone deceptively casual. “You are quite smart - for a Redguard.”

“Oh, I don’t think I’m that smart,” I refused to take the bait and kept my tone mild. “Just common sense, and years of experience, that’s all.” Again I shrugged, again Daedra Slayer shimmered. “If we have cleared up this misunderstanding between ourselves, then there is no reason why we can not continue to be friends.” As I lowered the tips of my swords to the floor, Daedra Slayer thrummed in my left hand as it flared on contact with the wooden boards.

Gro-Orum’s eyes flickered at the enchanted sword, and I knew he understood the lethality of the iron blade. “Aye, just a misunderstanding, Redguard,” he repeated. “No harm intended.”

“Good,” I said. “Now it’s late, and I’m sure you would like to head home. This little episode can be forgotten by morning. Agreed?”

The tension among the three Orsimeri eased at gro-Orum’s sudden grin. “Aye, it will be forgot by morning!” he exclaimed. Clapping Magub and gro-Gharz on their broad shoulders, he nodded at me. “And you are right, it’s late, and we have had a little too much to drink! Good night, Hero of Kvatch!”

“Good night, friends,” I returned quietly.

The Orum leader gestured the others to precede him out of the inn. In the entry tower, he looked back at me. “This doesn’t make you one of us, Redguard, nor are we bosom buddies,” he said warningly.

“Aye, I don’t expect us to get close at all,” I replied lightly. “All I expect is civility from each other.”

Romalen waited a few moments after gro-Orum left, then moved to the door and barred it. Turning to me, she shook her head.

“As soon as I knew what they intended, I tried to warn you,” she said, her tone anxious. “But they wouldn’t let me!”

“Just what did they intend?” I thought I knew, but I wanted to be certain.

“They thought your friend Jeelius would be on the cot on the landing, while you would be sleeping in your room. They intended to rob him, and maybe scare him a little.”

“All right,” I assured her. “There’s no harm done. I had Jeelius take the room, and lock the door besides.”

“How did you know -?” Romalen’s brows climbed higher.

“I had a feeling about them,” I answered. “Other Orsimeri I’ve met aren’t mean-spirited like these are.”

“Borba gra-Uzgash is a good woman,” Romalen mused. “She tried to stop them from going through with the robbery. She said it was a bad idea. They wouldn’t listen to her.”

“Hopefully the next time they think up another cockamamie plan, they’ll listen to her,” I smiled ironically. “I’m tired, and it is late. Go to bed, muthsera. Jeelius and I will see you in the morning.”

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 5 2010, 06:16 PM
Post #32

Ancient
Group Icon

And off the cliff we go!

“But if you have no wish to be my friends, then I’ll have to kill you all.”
Exactly what I was thinking!

That was a very tense segment (see I found a word for these partial chapters that you and I post), brimming with the threat of violence! Julian handled it all with both daring and diplomacy, and I am glad to see that she did not have to make use of that famed Redguard adrenaline again.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 5 2010, 06:49 PM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

Argh, I had thought it was the Mythic Dawn starting their attacks, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Jun 5 2010, 08:38 PM
Post #34

Mouth
Group Icon

The Newlands Stalemate! I see that Julian is not against using the role of Hero of Kvatch to avoid confrontation. That was the first time that I have seen her accosted by the title without being embarrassed. Her decision to let the orcs draw their own conclusions about what she can and cannot do made this chapter segment (thank you SubRosa). I especially liked the brief interaction between Bazur gro-Garsh and Dulfish gro-Orum. What better way to define each mers place in the gang hierarchy than a smack to the back of the head? There is a small part of me (okay, maybe not so small) that was hoping that the orcs rose to Julian’s challenge, but I must admit that it turned out better this way.

And haute . . . Stoney Jackson?! rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olen
post Jun 5 2010, 10:16 PM
Post #35

Mouth
Group Icon

I echo what's already been said, solid part filled with tension. You show more of Julian's calm and self-control here though I can't see it completely smoothing things...

Nicely done with the constant threat of violence.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jun 7 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #36

Master
Group Icon

@SubRosa: Julian does not like the Redguard Adrenaline Rush very much. She was glad the Orums didn't call her bluff, as she was just too tired for more fighting.

@mALX: You will have to wait until Julian heads off to Bruma to see the Mythic Dawn blow their cover. biggrin.gif

@Destri: I was channeling Jethro Gibbs in that little exchange between Bazur and Dulfish. Yes, I thought that smack to the head was appropriate given the situation. tongue.gif

@Olen: No, things with the Orum gang will be quiet for a while, but they'll be a problem again later on. Julian's just glad she doesn't have to deal with them right now.

Time to leave the wonderful Newlands Lodge and head out again. We get to know Jeelius a little better. And so Chapter 8 finally draws to a close.

Chapter 8.7 Jeelius

Morning came without further ado. The guest in the other room roused me as he left. My eyes opened in time to catch the hilt of the hammer at his back disappear down the stairs. Rising stiffly from the cot, I gathered my two swords. With a soft knock on the door to Jeelius’s room, I called his name softly.

The lock clicked and the door opened. Jeelius, dressed in the red woolen robe, greeted me. He looked better today - his scaled skin had more of its beautiful color this morning. His orange eyes were bright with concern. “Good morning, friend,” he said. “Trouble lasst night?”

“Not really,” I shrugged, not wanting to tell him I had been right about those Orcs after all. I stepped past him into the room and gathered up my pack, small bag, my bow and quiver. “Are you hungry? We have a long trip ahead of us.”

“Ssome food would be wisse,” he responded. “I am ready if you are.” He took the small bag off my shoulder. “Let me help you with ssome of that.” I hid my reluctance at letting him take the bag containing that mysterious book.

“Then let’s go see what Romalen has for breakfast,” I said. Heading for the stairs, I glanced back at Jeelius. “Sleep well?”

“Yess,” he answered. “Once I fell assleep.”

“Take long?” I asked, wondering if he had heard the exchange between me and the Orum gang last night.

“A little while,” Jeelius answered as we reached the bottom of the stairs and headed for the back room. “It’ss not eassy to forget what hass happened,” he added by way of explanation.

“As long as you had no nightmares,” I commented as we took seats at the bar. With a silent good morning nod at the blond Breton already seated there, I recognized him as the other guest by the war hammer at his back. “Good morning, muthsera,” I greeted Romalen as she set two laden plates, full of bread, amber honey, and cooked eggs, in front of us.

“Good morning, both of you,” she greeted us. “Sleep well?” her tone was bland, as well as her face when I shot her a sharp glance.

“Yess,” Jeelius said again, diving into the food with gusto. “The room wass very comfortable, thank you.”

“Good,” Romalen’s tone lightened. She did not speak again while we ate our breakfasts. The Breton watched us bemusedly, nursing his steaming cup of klah. Jeelius pushed his plate away before I finished my last bite.

“That wass quite good, muthssera,” he commented, stretching his spine. He rose to his feet and bowed to Romalen. “I sshall tell everyone in the Imperial City of your generous hosspitality.”

“Thanks!” Romalen exclaimed as Jeelius picked up my small bag. As the Argonian made for the front door, the Dunmer’s gaze fell on me as I gathered my gear. “Don’t worry about the Orums,” she murmured as she took my plate.

“Certain they won’t cause you any trouble?” I asked, just as quietly. Romalen shook her head dismissively.

“They’ve caused trouble before, but have never held any grudges against me.”

“If they start, you’ll let me know?” I pressed. I did not feel comfortable with the idea of the Orum gang continuing to visit Romalen’s inn for their drinks. She smiled lopsidedly at me.

“Borba is a good friend of mine,” she remarked. “She’ll keep the others in line.”

Didn’t do such a good job of that last night, I kept my thoughts to myself. “I’ll see you again, muthsera,” I said before following Jeelius.

After settling Paint’s account with Mivryna Arano at the Black Waterside, I loaded my gear onto the horse and led him out of the corral to where Jeelius waited near the road. Paint nudged my back as we stopped next to the Argonian. “Sorry,” I stroked Paint’s arched neck. “We’re not riding today.”

We walked down the hill toward the broad valley in companionable silence, each of us alone with our thoughts. Jeelius is likely thinking of the past couple of days, like me. As for Paint, only Paint knew what was on his mind.

We soon reached the little lake to the north of the road, at the bottom of the valley where I had seen the wolf two nights ago. He was nowhere in sight, but I still watched for him. Jeelius exclaimed softly and asked me to wait. He darted off the road to the lakeshore, kneeling beside some plants. Leaving Paint beside the road, I followed, my hand on my hilt, watching for predators. The surrounding hills were peaceful, and I looked to see what had seized Jeelius’s attention. Several plants, some with broad, round leaves and brilliant red or yellow blooms, others with fine yellow flowers and tall feathery leaves, clustered near the water.

Jeelius selected one of the red-flowered plants and uprooted it, showing me the forked root. “Ginsseng,” he said to me. “The root can damage luck when used in bassic potionss.” He showed me the taller plant with the small flowers. “That’ss fennel,” he explained. He showed me a few dried blossoms hidden by the brilliant yellow blooms. “Their sseedss are good for resstoring your energy.” He picked the seed pods, careful not to damage the flowers.

“The besst time to collect them iss in early winter,” he added, studying the pods in the palm of his hand. He tore a strip of wool from the hem of his robe and wrapped the ginseng root and the fennel seeds carefully in it. “They are uncommon around the Imperial City,” he added, as we returned to the road.

“There’s so much to learn about alchemy,” I commented. “Beginning with what the plants are.”

“Aye,” Jeelius agreed as we started up the other side of the valley. “That by itsself can be a daunting tassk.”

Reaching into the pack at Paint’s cantle, I fished around until I found the Pocket Guide to Cyrodiilic Flora. I handed it to Jeelius and asked, “Is this any good?”

“Yess, it iss quite valuable, when you are sstarting out,” Jeelius answered. “Once you get more experiensse, however, you will need more advanced guidess.”

“With everything I’ve been doing,” with a sigh, I placed the book back in the pack without breaking stride, “it’ll be a long time before I need an advanced guide.”

“But that time may come before you know it,” Jeelius glanced at me, his pointed teeth bared in a grin, his orange eyes sparkling with humor. “Jusst focuss on what you need to know now.”

Paint tossed his head at the sound of hoofbeats on the cobblestones ahead. The mounted rider appear over the top as I looked up the hill. “There’s Drusus,” I said. “He’s a good man to know.”

As the rider approached us, the bay’s ears flicking at Paint, I waved a greeting. Drusus stopped when we drew near, his mare touching noses with Paint. As the horses blew softly at each other, I caught Drusus’s questioning glance at my Argonian companion, his eyes narrowing at the red woolen robe the other wore.

“This is my friend Jeelius,” I offered, pulling Drusus’s gaze to mine. “He ran into some trouble with the Mythic Dawn north of Cheydinhal, so I’m escorting him back home.”

“And where is home, Jeelius?” Drusus asked coolly. To his credit, Jeelius met the rider’s gaze unflinchingly.

“I am a priesst in the Temple of the One, in the Imperial City,” he answered smoothly, his voice matching the other’s tone.

“How did you end up so far from home?” Drusus’s voice warmed slightly.

“I wass taken five dayss ago,” Jeelius replied. “They blindfolded me and took me out through the ssewerss. After that, I do not know where they took me, until Julian,” he nodded courteously at me, “resscued me and brought me to Cheydinhal.”

“How did you know they took you out through the sewers?” his persistent suspicion caused me to regard Drusus with some surprise.

“The ssmell,” Jeelius answered simply. Drusus laughed in response. I stared at the horseman’s abrupt change in demeanor.

“Well said, Jeelius,” he said when he had caught his breath. “And Julian is escorting you home?”

“Part way, at least,” I answered, glancing at Jeelius. “I’m traveling to Bruma, but I’ll escort him as far as Weye, unless we run into Atellus.”

“Actually,” Jeelius responded, “once we get to Lake Rumare, I’ll be fine.” Again his eyes sparkled. “It iss much quicker to sswim acrosss the lake than it iss to walk all the way around.” He shrugged. “Once I’m on the isle, I can take care of mysself.”

Drusus chuckled silently at my expression. “He’s an Argonian, after all, Julian,” he commented. “More at home in water than on dry land, no?”

“The water iss my natural element, yess,” Jeelius agreed affably.

“Then I’d best let you continue on,” Drusus remarked, his bay pawing at the cobblestones, her shoe sparking with a ring. “Mariel does not like to stand still for long.”

Jeelius bowed stiffly to the rider. “It wass my pleassure to make your acquaintance, good Drussuss,” he spoke formally. “May Akatossh guard your path.”

“As he has guarded yours,” Drusus tossed off a salute with a sidelong glance at me. “And farewell, Julian. May the Nine watch over you.”

“And the same to you, as well,” I responded as his mare - Mariel - stepped past Paint. The three of us, Jeelius, Paint and I, resumed our climb up the hill.

“That Legion rider sseemss to think well of you, Julian,” Jeelius commented as we crested the hill. Scanning the road ahead for bandits or predators, I shrugged.

“We met when I was ambushed by a couple of bandits. Drusus came along in time to keep me out of trouble.” I answered quietly, glancing at him. “I find traveling easier when I stay on the riders’ good side.”

As we walked on a little more, we encountered a rising mist, the sun fading into overcast. “Lookss like rain,” Jeelius commented.

“Feels like it, too,” I nodded in agreement. The mist grew heavier, thicker, beading silver on Jeelius’s woolen robe and my leather cuirass. The air grew cooler, until I started looking for our breaths. Not quite cold enough. We reached the junction of the Blue Road with the Red Ring Road about mid-afternoon. The stone arches that marked the intersection did not appear out of the fog until we were almost underneath them.

Jeelius turned to me. “Here, we musst part wayss,” he said quietly. “Your path liess to the north, and mine iss due wesst,” he pointed in that direction, past the ruins of Fort Urasek. “Good luck on your misssion, Julian,” he continued, holding his right hand to me. Taking the proffered hand in return, I matched his long-fingered grip.

“When you get back to the Temple,” I said, “pray for me, and above, all, pray for the Empire. In these dark times, we can use all the help we can get.”

“I will pray for you, Hero of Kvatch,” Jeelius responded, his eyes shining. “You have done much for me, and I will never forget.” He squeezed my fingers a little more firmly in emphasis. “When next you come to the Imperial City, find me in the Temple of the One. I will be glad to ssee you again, friend.”

“I will,” I promised him. “I will come to see you.” I felt a smile warming my damp cheeks. “Rather sooner than later, friend.”

This post has been edited by haute ecole rider: Jun 9 2010, 05:50 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 7 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #37

Ancient
Group Icon

I am wondering if he was suspicious because of the red robe, but when Drusus said

“Mariel does not like to stand still for long.”

I was afraid he was trying to trick Jeelius.

Great Write, and I am loving these new chapters !!!!!

This post has been edited by mALX: Jun 7 2010, 05:48 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 7 2010, 06:41 PM
Post #38

Ancient
Group Icon

A nice, quiet segment for a change! It was nice to take a relaxing walk and just look at the scenery. And Mariel I see. I like how you continue to give the horses in your fiction names and personalities, making them characters as much as anyone else.

Jeelius forgot to mention that fennel is quite tasty too. I always put it in my dough when I make calzones.

“It iss much quicker to sswim acrosss the lake than it iss to walk all the way around.”
My thoughts exactly! I always thought it was strange that they put no way across the lake except for the bridge in the west. I think I have seen a mod that add a boat that will take you across the eastern side.

nits:
After settling Paint’s account with Mivryna Arano at the Black Waterside, I loaded my gear onto Paint and led him out of the corral to where Jeelius waited near the road.
You have Paint twice in the same sentence. I think you can just trade the last instance for "him, or "the horse".

As for Paint, only Paint knew what was on his mind.
same here.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jun 7 2010, 10:18 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Jun 8 2010, 08:41 AM
Post #39

Mouth
Group Icon

Drusus’ questioning of Jeelius struck me as too pointed to be the innocent concern of a Legion rider. He knows Julian, the two of them have fought and spilled blood together, so when she vouched for Jeelius that should have been the end of it. The fact that he continued to question the Argonian makes me wonder what his motive is.

I imagine that saving Jeelius from the Mythic Dawn isn’t an easy thing to do. I applaud Julian for seeing it through and escorting the poor fellow home.

SubRosa already pointed out the repetition of Paint. That was my only nit for this chapter.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olen
post Jun 8 2010, 04:29 PM
Post #40

Mouth
Group Icon

Good piece, a distinct feeling of calm before the strom though...

I agree with Destri that Drusus seemed highly suspicious, though I suppose he only knows Julian's ability and not her cultist killing passtimes. wink.gif Nice touch with Jeelius swimming the lake, help to show how the races are different and how it changes what they do (this is one of the reasons argonians are my favourite race, their gameplay is actually different).

I liked the ginseng and fennel, the first makes good tea and the second is great in hard tack (it's an appetite supressant and makes it slightly more edible). Along with the details of the horses it really amkes the setting come to life for me, it's things like that which are so good smile.gif

And now back to see Baurus again?

--------------------
+Quote Post

14 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:13 AM