5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fallout Troubleshooting
Acadian
post Aug 14 2022, 12:12 PM
Post #61

Paladin
Group Icon

Wow, that took full 'SubRosaTech' mode to fix! I sure hope it works.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 14 2022, 11:36 PM
Post #62

Councilor
Group Icon

I hope it works for you. There are so many Fallout 3 CTD fixes on Nexus, none of them really work 100%, from what I've found some of them don't work at all.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 30 2022, 01:18 PM
Post #63

Ancient
Group Icon

Ugh, ok, so I’m testing mods and playing a bit while I’m doing so (which I guess is my first mistake). The character I’m currently running has finished the first chapter of Moira’s quest and I noticed that the Unofficial Patch wasn’t activated, so I activated it. Now certain NPCs are running around in their underwear! It was definitely the UP that caused this, so I loaded a new character from the auto save point just before stepping out into the wasteland and it seems to work just fine. I’m so confused.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Sep 30 2022, 02:53 PM
Post #64

Mouth
Group Icon

Too much skooma will do it to you. biggrin.gif

Sorry, not constructive but couldn't resist! So funny!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 30 2022, 06:19 PM
Post #65

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lena Wolf @ Sep 30 2022, 08:53 AM) *

Too much skooma will do it to you. biggrin.gif

Sorry, not constructive but couldn't resist! So funny!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

I’ll smack you tongue.gif

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 30 2022, 10:38 PM
Post #66

Ancient
Group Icon

This is one of the reasons I do not use the Unofficial Patches in any Bethesda game. I have found they always cause new bugs, even if they fix old ones.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 30 2022, 10:55 PM
Post #67

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 30 2022, 05:38 PM) *

This is one of the reasons I do not use the Unofficial Patches in any Bethesda game. I have found they always cause new bugs, even if they fix old ones.

Wow really? Can you cite some examples? (I honestly don't know.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Sep 30 2022, 11:11 PM
Post #68

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 30 2022, 10:55 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 30 2022, 05:38 PM) *

Wow really? Can you cite some examples? (I honestly don't know.)

In Oblivion, some items do not get cleared when a cell is offloaded. Items that would normally get cleared from memory. I'll let you figure out what impact that might have... wink.gif

Also in Oblivion - and this is my pet complaint! - the Honorblade of Chorrol is downgraded from a bloody good sword to a plain silver longsword! mad.gif

At that point I stopped looking. tongue.gif

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 30 2022, 11:47 PM
Post #69

Councilor
Group Icon

All these years (especially when the official forums were opened) whenver a n00b player would ask "which mods should I get?" the answer usually started with UOP. So this is my first time hearing anybody say avoid them.

Come and think of it though, I never installed any unofficial patches for Fallout 3. whistling.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 30 2022, 11:51 PM
Post #70

Ancient
Group Icon

Supposedly this can be fixed by simply loading your save game with all of the mods turned off, then saving the game, then turning all of the mods back on and reloading the save. Will try and report back tomorrow.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 1 2022, 12:37 AM
Post #71

Ancient
Group Icon

I don't remember the bugs the UOPs caused anymore. It was a long time since I used any of them. Now when I come across a specific bug, I just fix it, simple as that. I don't need more headaches.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 1 2022, 01:32 AM
Post #72

Councilor
Group Icon

That's so crazy though, Khajiit. All those people suddenly lost their clothes due to just that one change! WTF.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 1 2022, 07:56 PM
Post #73

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 30 2022, 07:32 PM) *

That's so crazy though, Khajiit. All those people suddenly lost their clothes due to just that one change! WTF.

Yeah, specifically the caravan merchant guards (including Crow himself), and the water parasite sitting outside of Megaton. I haven’t been that far afield with this character so I’m not really sure how widespread the issue is.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Renee
post Feb 25 2024, 06:34 PM
Post #74

Councilor
Group Icon

Just downloaded New Vegas from GoG. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif Finally, got this game on PC. So where should I start?

Whoa, Ultra High Quality, that's what NV puts my computer at, sweet. GoG gave me all the DLC too: Caravan Pack, Dead Money, Honest Hearts, heck yes. I cannot wait to mod this fricking game. And roll my first toon. Maybe I'll transfer Linda Hand's game over from Xbox!

Anyway, where do I start? Like is there any unofficial (or even official) patches I should get? Oooh, script extender?

This post has been edited by Renee: Feb 25 2024, 06:35 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 25 2024, 07:26 PM
Post #75

Ancient
Group Icon

There is an NVSE script extender.

You probably need to do the old multi core CPU fix for Fallout 3 with NV as well, where you edit the .ini files.

There is also a NV Stutter Remover. If you need the latter for Fallout 3, you probably need it for New Vegas as well. There is also a New Vegas Anti-Crash mod. But it is not compatible with the New Vegas Stutter Remover. So use one or the other.

There is a Fallout Mod Manger that works on both FO3 and NV as well.

The Gog version comes with the game's .exe already patched to be able to use 4gb. But there is a 4GB patch you should get from the Nexus anyway, as it has compatibility fixes for the script extender and other things.

There is a version of MCM for New Vegas - the Mod Configuration Menu. Its not necessary. But you might have mods that make use of it.

Same with UIO - User Interface Organizer. A few mods need it to work.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Feb 26 2024, 02:24 AM
Post #76

Councilor
Group Icon

Great, that's awesome, especially the .ini stuff and 4GB info. That didn't occur to me.

How often does NV crash? Fallout 3 crashes (for me) more often than Oblivion, and waaay more often than Skyrim or Morrowind. My FO3 CTDs about every half hour, like clockwork. Literally, if I get roughly half hour into the game (especially exteriors) and I remember to, I'll just go ahead and save/exit/reload, because I know it's gonna crash anyway. And I'm okay with that. As long as it's not crashing every 2 or 3 mins, I'm okay.

Could be because of a weather mod I've got, and I believe this is so because weather mods do affect the outdoors, of course. Everything else in my FO3 is rather light. I don't use a stutter remover, haven't got any extensive texture mods, and frames are capped at 60. Anti-crash stuff doesn't help; I've tried a few fixes over the years. So I believe the half-hour CTD phenomenon has something to do with optimization? Something like that.

I don't plan on modding New Vegas too extensively (no really...), maybe a few little touches like a Blanket mod for sleeping, so what's a mostly-vanilla game like?

This post has been edited by Renee: Feb 26 2024, 02:28 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 26 2024, 02:53 PM
Post #77

Ancient
Group Icon

I think how often a game crashes often just comes down to a matter of luck, or what might seem like luck because the reasons for the crashes are often so complex that we just can never understand them. We all have different computers, with different hardware in them, sometimes different operating systems, and we run the games with different settings, and with different mods. So I think one's mileage varys a lot game by game.

For me New Vegas is usually more stable than Fallout 3, but less than Oblivion or Skyrim. OTOH, Morroblivion has often given me endless nightmares. But I also have fewer mods for New Vegas, and spend less time playing it than FO3.

I recently reinstalled Fallout 3 from scratch with the Gog version and had endless troubles with random CTDs. Look back through this thread about a page and you will find it. I eventually fixed it with the Fallout Anniversary Patcher, which rolls the game back by a version. You might try that with your Fallout 3.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Feb 26 2024, 10:32 PM
Post #78

Councilor
Group Icon

True, all PCs are a bit different, especially gaming PCs.

Morroblivion sounds like just getting it to run is an adventure in itself. panic.gif Well in any event, sounds like New Vegas could be more solid than FO3. I won't be installing weather mods into the Mojave. For Maryland/Virginia/DC, it's just wrong not to see some rain, but inclement weather is not as frequent in the desert.

I went back and read your troubles. That's crazy your FO3 crashed so much in the beginning, and that's even before modifications.

This post has been edited by Renee: Feb 26 2024, 11:40 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Feb 28 2024, 05:38 PM
Post #79

Master
Group Icon

I followed this framework when I installed NV and it made crashing almost non-existent. I personally didn't follow it to a T, and stopped short of anything that affected gameplay balance. But the utilities and tweaks alone are 100% worth it.

https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/intro.html

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Feb 29 2024, 10:17 PM
Post #80

Councilor
Group Icon

Very noice, thanks Kane. cake.gif

Game is installed but I haven't messed with anything yet. I will, though.

--------------------
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:05 PM