79 Pages V « < 54 55 56 57 58 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer issues, Viruses, trojans, crashes, install problems etc
haute ecole rider
post Oct 21 2020, 03:49 AM
Post #1101

Master
Group Icon

I assume we're talking about Windows, right?

I use Mac, with the built in Time Machine function. So easy, set up once and forget about it until you need a new computer.

To be honest, the most important thing for me is not the computer settings or even the applications, but the files. And I have iCloud for that. When I set up this iMac two years ago, I didn't even restore from a backup of the old one, even though I had it. I just connected it to my iCloud account, redownloaded the most important apps (like ESO, and Minion) and hooked this computer into my iCloud and I was off and running in next to no time at all.

I do have a Windows backup of the old Mac, but when I set up Boot Camp on this one, I just started over from scratch. The way I see it, things change so much that it's kind of stupid to keep old stuff going - I mean, you can't even get software on CD anymore, it's all downloaded. And while I care about my old toons, like Julian, they live on in my heart and in my writing, so I don't really feel the need to keep playing with them. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but moving Julian from Oblivion to ESO, for example, allowed me to explore new aspects of her personality. So in some ways it's freeing to just Let Go . . .

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 25 2020, 06:04 PM
Post #1102

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Backup Windows 7 computer has been updated.

*More RAM (which was reflected in both Oblivion and Fallout 3)
*Advanced Systemcare and Windows Defender updated and searches have been done
*Most recent savegames transferred
*Most recent IRL pics transferred
*Youtube extension added and working

Conclusion: Sweet! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 26 2020, 06:40 AM
Post #1103

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 25 2020, 01:04 PM) *

Backup Windows 7 computer has been updated.

*More RAM (which was reflected in both Oblivion and Fallout 3)
*Advanced Systemcare and Windows Defender updated and searches have been done
*Most recent savegames transferred
*Most recent IRL pics transferred
*Youtube extension added and working

Conclusion: Sweet! biggrin.gif

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 3 2020, 04:47 PM
Post #1104

Master
Group Icon

Woot, back online!!!!! biggrin.gif Phone & Internet went belly-up around 0915 last Friday morning. As can be seen, all's well now. Had a five-day wait cos I'm flagged as a repeat offender, having needed AT&T tech service more than once within the past thirty days. Of course that earlier use was them converting me to fiber, which they said was mandatory. (Either that or find a new provider.) To add insult to injury, the problem turns out to be an error on their part at a local junction box, not anything to do with my home equipment. Be that as it may, I now have the pleasure of weeding through roughly seven-hundred emails. (I will be surprise if more than twenty aren't political junk mail.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 3 2020, 04:50 PM
Post #1105

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Nov 3 2020, 10:47 AM) *

Woot, back online!!!!! biggrin.gif Phone & Internet went belly-up around 0915 last Friday morning. As can be seen, all's well now. Had a five-day wait cos I'm flagged as a repeat offender, having needed AT&T tech service more than once within the past thirty days. Of course that earlier use was them converting me to fiber, which they said was mandatory. (Either that or find a new provider.) To add insult to injury, the problem turns out to be an error on their part at a local junction box, not anything to do with my home equipment. Be that as it may, I now have the pleasure of weeding through roughly seven-hundred emails. (I will be surprise if more than twenty aren't political junk mail.)

WOO HOO!!! So glad to see you back on here!!! How frustrating that is for them to flag you as trouble when they caused it! I'm just really glad you are back now, WHEW!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 3 2020, 05:38 PM
Post #1106

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 3 2020, 09:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Nov 3 2020, 10:47 AM) *

WOO HOO!!! So glad to see you back on here!!! How frustrating that is for them to flag you as trouble when they caused it! I'm just really glad you are back now, WHEW!

I'm super glad I voted early. Being as this is US election day, had I not already voted I'd have needed to postpone repairs until today. Being without internet on a major election day would be frustrating and nerve racking.

I was wrong. There were 28 non-political emails in my in-basket. Of those four are truly important. The rest I'll look at as I have time.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Nov 3 2020, 07:17 PM
Post #1107

Master
Group Icon

That's an awful lot of junk mail. sad.gif

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 4 2020, 02:43 PM
Post #1108

Master
Group Icon

Not an issue, but...

You might recall that, after assembling my current primary PC mid 2017, I wanted to build a movable platform-on-casters for it, to get it off the carpet and make it easy for an old-fart to drag out from its nook for cleaning, testing, etc. I luckily had the wood I needed, and an old set of casters that would serve.

You might also recall that assembling the PC triggers a severe case of "tennis elbow" limiting use of my right arm.

It was three-fourths year before that arm was up to any projects involving lifting/moving objects weighing more than a couple of pounds. By then I'd lost interest in the project.

No, I haven't revived it. I suspect it's beyond me now. But...

The other day, out of the blue, it came to me to simply place what would have been the platform's base on the floor beneath the computer. That would at least get it off the carpet and improve power supply intake airflow. Took all of five-ten minutes to locate/dig out the wood and slide it beneath the PC.

In other PC news, I still haven't gotten used to the 'new' keyboard. I'm better at it, especially in the left hand, but not where I want to be.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 8 2020, 07:05 PM
Post #1109

Master
Group Icon

I've been on an organizing frenzy since the end of breakfast until breaking for lunch, then for a short time afterword. Part of it was not computer related and is here ignored.

The PC portion began when I decided to at last disassembled the MS Ergo 4000 keyboard, install the one tiny part I overlooked when last disassembled, reassemble it, and place it with other worthless PC items sitting on the living-room floor awaiting next year's city spring odd-item garbage pickup. That done, I returned to the computer room for its box. It was near the bottom of a jumbled tall stack of old PC items and/or their boxes on the upper shelf of my PC room closet. Had to remove almost the entire stack to reach it, so decided to do a little spring-cleaning. In the process I found lots of stuff I have no business keeping. Here are highlights:

1) An 8" floppy drive cleaning disk. Oddly or not I decided to keep it. While it holds no nostalgic value, I never owned an 8" floppy, it doesn't take up enough storage space to matter.

2) Two identical smallish Final Fantasy XI themed mouse pads. Again, no sentimental value. I'm not sure how I got them. Probably a free game-store handout when they didn't reserve enough copies to give away all 'bonuses'. I kept them. They take up no room.

3) A Vesa-Local-Bus IDE drive card in its box. This went in the living-room trash pile.

4) A Number-Nine ISA-bus graphics card dated 1994!, in box. It goes all the up to 1280x1024...in 256 colors. (800x600 is need for full color.) Living-room trash pile.

5) A beige metal base for a very long gone computer. Trash pile.

6) Assorted beige case drive-bay covers for long gone computers. Trash pile.

7) Old AT-connector keyboard. I thought about keeping this as replacement for a not-quite-so-old ergo whose F/J positioning ridges have worn again. Alas, those ridges are worn off on this keyboard too. Trash pile.

8) A no-longer-needed old-style alarm clock. Trash pile.

9) Not in the computer room but instead near the bottom of a stack of boxes in the kitchen, my final ink-jet printer, boxed. Worthless crap. Stopped working not a month after its warranty expired. Before then, it cost me an arm and a leg in ink-cartridge replacement. Trash pile, and good riddance.

I still lack the guts to dispose of my large floppy-disk collection. Well, I got rid of some of it years ago. Much remains. My old third PC has a 3.5" floppy-drive. I can in theory transfer some floppies using it. Not much I can do about 5.25" floppies. It's likely that nothing on those floppies is worth keeping. If there had been, I'd surely have transferred them long ago. On the other hand, it's quite possible there might be something on those disks I want erased before tossing.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Dec 8 2020, 07:07 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 9 2020, 04:20 PM
Post #1110

Master
Group Icon

Oops... wrong thread ... wacko.gif

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Dec 9 2020, 04:21 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 11 2020, 09:55 PM
Post #1111

Spam Meister
Group Icon

So, youtube extension on FF doesn't work again. Get this json.txt box that asks me if I want to open the file with a text editor which of course I don't. I just want to watch the video. Saki said it had to do with Java but updating won't do much good, I reckon. Think I tried it last time with no luck.

As this thing goes I have to wait a week or so and then somehow it works again and I can enjoy the old youtube layout once more until next time. But I wanna stop this from happening. Any thoughts?

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Dec 13 2020, 02:35 PM
Post #1112

Master
Group Icon

Probably can't. The site updates a lot and updates break extensions.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 29 2020, 02:12 AM
Post #1113

Master
Group Icon

Win10 announced another update-to-2004 attempt on my secondary PC. As with the first, failed attempt it took ages. Then...bingo, success. At the end it wanted me to configure all sorts of stuff I ignored, though I did need to re 'personalize' my taskbar color scheme afterward. I ought to fire up the third PC so it too can update. Man is it behind. I doubt it's been turned on for over three years. Old as it is, about all its good for is sluggishly browsing the web.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 2 2021, 05:23 PM
Post #1114

Councilor
Group Icon

Having a real good start to 2021: trying to run ESO locks up my machine. Trying to repair ESO locks up my machine. I'll have to try uninstall / re-install which won't be quick.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 2 2021, 05:27 PM
Post #1115

Paladin
Group Icon

Urg. Sorry, ghastley. I hope the uninstall/reinstall fixes things for you.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 2 2021, 05:27 PM
Post #1116

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 2 2021, 11:23 AM) *

Having a real good start to 2021: trying to run ESO locks up my machine. Trying to repair ESO locks up my machine. I'll have to try uninstall / re-install which won't be quick.

verysad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 2 2021, 05:37 PM
Post #1117

Councilor
Group Icon

Now add: trying to re-install ESO locks up the machine. sad.gif

Nothing useful in the system logs, as the lock-up prevents logging the error, too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 2 2021, 06:12 PM
Post #1118

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Ugh. That sounds incredibly bad. Can't even reinstall? blink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 2 2021, 06:25 PM
Post #1119

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 2 2021, 11:37 AM) *

Now add: trying to re-install ESO locks up the machine. sad.gif

Nothing useful in the system logs, as the lock-up prevents logging the error, too.

Is it possible that you are using that previous defunct launcher? Remember we had to delete and totally reinstall the game several months ago; and after that the old launcher was unusable?

Also, may want to check to make sure something that the game requires to run/install hasn't quit working (memory, hard drive, graphics card, etc).

This post has been edited by mALX: Jan 2 2021, 06:27 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 2 2021, 06:26 PM
Post #1120

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm currently working on the theory that it's a bad piece of disk. PTS runs OK, and that's essentially a copy of the same thing, running against a different server.

--------------------
+Quote Post

79 Pages V « < 54 55 56 57 58 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:50 AM