Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Settlements!, Show off your Settlements here!
mALX
post Jan 14 2019, 06:03 PM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

Here is my totally unmodded (just using the in-game Editor) Sanctuary Hills Settlement. (working on making a modded one; not tested it in game yet). I haven't put a beacon up yet; so no Settlers yet. (Just Misa; Codsworth; Dogmeat; Trashcan Carla and her Brahman).

https://imgur.com/a/rv5yS3b

This post has been edited by mALX: Jan 19 2019, 05:02 AM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 14 2019, 09:55 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

Wow, that is really involved! I never to go nearly that much effort. Mostly I just put up walls around the settlement, and do some decorating in whatever building my current character is living in.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 14 2019, 10:12 PM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

I want to move in.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 14 2019, 11:27 PM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 14 2019, 03:55 PM) *

Wow, that is really involved! I never to go nearly that much effort. Mostly I just put up walls around the settlement, and do some decorating in whatever building my current character is living in.

Well actually, in game that is the only house I've decorated too = the Rosa house where the Workstation is. I liked it better than the Player house.

I haven't actually gotten any Settlers yet; have been really hesitant to get that started until I've done some things in game - because from what I heard; you have to kind of be at their beck and call every time they get attacked or unhappy; and everyone said even you staying away several days makes them unhappy! So if you have several Settlements, do you have to go spend three days at each one continuously throughout your game?

And what if you are at a crucial point in a quest and get that message that your Settlement is being attacked; I wasn't sure if I should leave them to their fate to finish the quest or race home to "protect them" (like all those laser turrets couldn't do that better than me running there from the other side of the Commonwealth, lol).

Oh, and someone said that the Settlers even get gripey if you give them each a TV because the TV's sometimes glitch and that ticks off the Settlers! So my Settlers won't be getting a TV, I'll have Misa dance to entertain them, lol.

So yeah, I've been a bit afraid of what all it would involve to start getting Settlers in there. I was kind of just enjoying playing with the builder for a while; and hoping eventually to get everything in order and working properly before starting that part of the game. I've been working on Sanctuary Hills (in game/without mods) for over a month now, so it has taken a long time to amass all this. I've been exploring the Commonwealth while avoiding any main quest stuff whenever possible; and Trashcan Carla sells bulk supplies for building; which is really handy since she tends to get stuck in Sanctuary (but her inventory continues to flip over regularly).

But on fixing the houses = some Youtube vid said that the Settlers wouldn't be happy with leaking roofs; broken windows; or foundations with no floor coverings. I tried all those "placing windows using the rug glitch" tricks, and couldn't get a thing to work well enough = so boarded up all the windows in my settlement, as much as I hated to do it.

The roofs was easy, those huge foundation blocks hid the trashy mess and actually looked decent; but the floors...not sure how to get a floor in there over those piles of leaves and junk that can't be removed. I tried wooden floor pieces = they were the perfect height to cover the debris, but extremely hard to place without the CK or hours of fiddling with the XYZ axis's.

I saw some cute checkered floor pieces in the Vault package, but haven't found them in my workshop menu at all; I have no idea how to get them.

On the water treatment plant and power station = I actually had just one purifier; one pump; and every single house had its own (very loud) 3 amp generator. The noise was terrible, I couldn't stand to even go near any of the houses to work on them; so decided the best thing to do would be to scrap all those little generators and make a few big ones instead. I put them down at the water with the purifier and pump so I wouldn't have to hear them either, lol.

The street lights act as conduits (except without the "area of effect that the other conduits have) = so wiring the town by running streetlights down the road was a given; then just running one wire from the street lamp closest to each house and putting a real conduit there made it all look better than those big pylons everywhere. (each house has a big pylon on their roof though).

Then last week some vid I saw said the settlers all drank at least 1 water per day; and that the purifiers and pumps have a day down times where they "rest." Something else I saw said Sanctuary would probably get 20 Settlers; so my one pump and purifier wasn't going to cut it. So last week I made that Power Station and Water Treatment Plant. (like an idiot; made the building first then tried to stick the machines in it, lol).

The building was kind of mish-moshed together; but I liked it too much to tear it down. In the end it worked perfectly = er...well, since no Settlers are there; I am just hoping it will work perfectly, lol. Not really sure it will; but hoping.

And this week I just changed over from machine gun turrets to laser = again, due to the loud racket of the machine gun turrets. The laser ones make noise; but not nearly as much.

By not letting the Settlers in yet; I've been able to do a lot more to fix the place up than I could have otherwise.

Oh, if you have any tips on what happens when you do start getting Settlers; (or things they gripe about, etc) = I'd love to hear them! Does the game actually ever tell you what makes them upset? I mean, how do you find out that they don't like TV's or no floors? Do they say something to the player and you just have to listen?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 15 2019, 12:18 AM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Jan 14 2019, 04:12 PM) *

I want to move in.

Bwaahaa! It was like trying to dress up a sow to look pretty, lol. I really hate that Bethesda didn't devise some script where the Settlers swept and the leaves and trash were removed from your house; or a script that would clean the debris off the roads after you set some Settlers out there with shovels or brooms.

It is kind of ridiculous that Bethesda thinks it is "Lore" that a place can never be cleaned up after 200 years. They could have saved us a huge number of resources in our Settlement cells by letting us scrap that stuff.

I know there are mods that fix that; but I've heard they all have issues with game bloat after using; and portal issues if you use them in the interior cells.

This "non-modded" Sanctuary build is what made me so anxious to dig into the CK and make a mod for my Settlements. The very first thing that I did was to shove every bit of that trash and debris below ground, tear off the roofs and bury them too, rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 16 2019, 06:37 PM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 14 2019, 06:18 PM) *

It is kind of ridiculous that Bethesda thinks it is "Lore" that a place can never be cleaned up after 200 years. They could have saved us a huge number of resources in our Settlement cells by letting us scrap that stuff.

... or that everybody only listens to traditional American music or post WWII music (says my heavy metal-loving character Janet Telia).

That actually is a question (and sorry while I go off-topic for a moment): Is the Fallout world supposed to be some sort of alternate reality in which they never experienced anything after 1945, and everything got stuck in a retro sort of phase up until the Great War? Or are all the things we experienced during the 1960s up til X also be included, but only towards 2077 did they go retro?

But yeah, I know what you mean about cleaning up, ha ha. After my FO3 main quest guy finished the Minefield quest, I decided to "move" a few NPCs into that neighborhood, up from Big Town. I wanted to add a merchant in Minefield, specifically. First thing I'm thinking: they want to have a home which is more pleasant. So I moved all the trash on the floor (and blood stains, yuck) out into the void. And added a nicer set of track lighting. And etc....

This "non-modded" Sanctuary build is what made me so anxious to dig into the CK and make a mod for my Settlements. The very first thing that I did was to shove every bit of that trash and debris below ground, tear off the roofs and bury them too, rollinglaugh.gif

Yeah, this is what you just taught me, and from now on this is also what I've been doing, instead of deleting stuff outright.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 16 2019, 10:14 PM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Jan 16 2019, 12:37 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 14 2019, 06:18 PM) *

... or that everybody only listens to traditional American music or post WWII music (says my heavy metal-loving character Janet Telia).

That actually is a question (and sorry while I go off-topic for a moment): Is the Fallout world supposed to be some sort of alternate reality in which they never experienced anything after 1945, and everything got stuck in a retro sort of phase up until the Great War? Or are all the things we experienced during the 1960s up til X also be included, but only towards 2077 did they go retro?

But yeah, I know what you mean about cleaning up, ha ha. After my FO3 main quest guy finished the Minefield quest, I decided to "move" a few NPCs into that neighborhood, up from Big Town. I wanted to add a merchant in Minefield, specifically. First thing I'm thinking: they want to have a home which is more pleasant. So I moved all the trash on the floor (and blood stains, yuck) out into the void. And added a nicer set of track lighting. And etc....

Yeah, this is what you just taught me, and from now on this is also what I've been doing, instead of deleting stuff outright.

Someone I think was a Dev from another game said about Fallout 4: you can add anything you want; but you can't delete anything in those Settlements.

So in my testing; I tried to use that "find and replace" function like I always did in previous games; but you can't use that in Fallout 4 on all items. Example: those dingy tables in Sanctuary Hills houses that can't be scrapped = they have a linked reference of some sort attached to them and can't even be switched for anything. So now I have to go back into my mod and switch those tables back and hope that clears up the issue.

Another is that little gate behind the Rosa house (the one with the Workbench in it). You can't swap that gate out with anything.

So I had to dump that mod; rename it to mark it as unusable (but kept it so I could reference the stuff I did right in it later) = and start a new mod (the new mod is the one with the static food in it).

Keeping the Sanctuary houses in a mod is the biggest problem; because they kind of suck up the place no matter what you do; but everyone who looks at a Settlement mod is always wanting it to be "lore friendly." I want mine to stay as close to lore friendly as possible; but...maybe the next step up, so I can stand looking at it, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 16 2019, 10:30 PM
Post #8

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Jan 16 2019, 12:37 PM) *

*snip*
... (says my heavy metal-loving character Janet Telia).

SPEW !!!! rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Jan 17 2019, 01:58 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

Great looking settlement! Much larger and involved than anything I've ever made!

If you ever do get around to modding, there are mods that let you scrap all that garbage and get the resources from them. There is even a mod to fix the broken sidewalks and roads in Sanctuary!

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 17 2019, 05:11 PM
Post #10

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kane @ Jan 17 2019, 07:58 AM) *

Great looking settlement! Much larger and involved than anything I've ever made!

If you ever do get around to modding, there are mods that let you scrap all that garbage and get the resources from them. There is even a mod to fix the broken sidewalks and roads in Sanctuary!

Thank you so much!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 15 2019, 05:25 AM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

I heard on some vid that Brahman raise the happiness level in your Settlement; so I built a Brahman barn in Sanctuary, lol. Here is some shots of it:

https://imgur.com/a/itClfBQ

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 15 2019, 10:56 PM
Post #12

Ancient
Group Icon

Wow, that's a whole Brahmin pen! I never went to that much effort. I don't think Brahmin raise happiness, since the game considers them settlers. But they do generate fertilizer and increase your food yield. Dogs, cats, and gorillas do give a happiness bonus.

This is a great guide for Settlements

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 16 2019, 01:18 AM
Post #13

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 15 2019, 04:56 PM) *

Wow, that's a whole Brahmin pen! I never went to that much effort. I don't think Brahmin raise happiness, since the game considers them settlers. But they do generate fertilizer and increase your food yield. Dogs, cats, and gorillas do give a happiness bonus.

This is a great guide for Settlements

Oh, this is Awesome! Thanks for the Link !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Feb 17 2019, 07:27 AM
Post #14

Mouth
Group Icon

I've only truly started tapping into Settlements capabilities in the past few weeks. I quite enjoy it, although obviously there are some improvements I already have in mind that should've been done. (Also, how the Oblivion do you get lights, TVs, etc. to work? I've only randomly gotten some lights to work at Home Plate before really diving into Settlements, but I don't know how I did it.) Overall, I like what I can do, but I still have to learn some stuff and still have a bunch of settlements I have barely touched. Fortunately, I have the console at my fingertips to just add components instead of having to incessantly scrounge for them.

I've also started to actually do something about unhappy settlements. Since there were so many other things I wanted to do, I really didn't care about it. But now I actively try to boost settlement happiness (and then of course the inconvenient "This settlement is under attack!" when I'm far away from that one). I think my favorite areas to build are Sanctuary Hills and Starlight Drive-In because there is so much space and freedom to work with. Nordhagen Beach has a good amount of that, too. It would be nice if settlements were more capable of improving themselves, though, so I don't have to keep running in to save the day.

I have a few screenshots, but I want to improve some settlements first before I start showing them off. But I like some of what I have come up with.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 17 2019, 11:06 PM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Feb 17 2019, 01:27 AM) *

I've only truly started tapping into Settlements capabilities in the past few weeks. I quite enjoy it, although obviously there are some improvements I already have in mind that should've been done. (Also, how the Oblivion do you get lights, TVs, etc. to work? I've only randomly gotten some lights to work at Home Plate before really diving into Settlements, but I don't know how I did it.) Overall, I like what I can do, but I still have to learn some stuff and still have a bunch of settlements I have barely touched. Fortunately, I have the console at my fingertips to just add components instead of having to incessantly scrounge for them.

I've also started to actually do something about unhappy settlements. Since there were so many other things I wanted to do, I really didn't care about it. But now I actively try to boost settlement happiness (and then of course the inconvenient "This settlement is under attack!" when I'm far away from that one). I think my favorite areas to build are Sanctuary Hills and Starlight Drive-In because there is so much space and freedom to work with. Nordhagen Beach has a good amount of that, too. It would be nice if settlements were more capable of improving themselves, though, so I don't have to keep running in to save the day.

I have a few screenshots, but I want to improve some settlements first before I start showing them off. But I like some of what I have come up with.

SubRosa would be the one to answer questions, she has been playing for years = I'm just starting out; and got anything I know off SubRosa or YouTube, lol.

I did notice that a lot of the lights/TV's you find in a ruined house/town are "statics" (won't work even if electricity is hooked directly to them). You can test them by placing a Conduit (wired to a Generator) near them; and if they still don't work then try running a wire from the Conduit directly to the light/TV/etc. If they don't light or work then = scrap them and craft your own lights/TV.

You won't need a Generator at Home Plate; it is already pre-wired for Electricity (but only in the front door area to just past the corner the Workshop sits in = the Electricity does not reach the back room). Somewhere right in that area between the Workshop and where the back room starts is a Conduit = a small metal spike sticking out (either on one of the walls or from the ceiling).

If you want Electricity to the back room area, you have to extend the wiring from that Conduit to wherever you want it to be by placing more Conduits wiring them to that original Conduit.

Home Plate does have a really deep ceiling beam between that original conduit and the back room; so you might have to run the wire to a "Ground (or Wall) Mounted Conduit" to get past it = or:

** You can sometimes get around this using tricks like the "Rug Glitch" (which actually works really well for this if you use one of the triangle shaped wall-signs). There is also supposed to be a "Wireless Wiring Glitch" I've seen many vids on how to do (but never yet been able to get it to work for me even once, lol).

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 18 2019, 12:53 AM
Post #16

Ancient
Group Icon

Electricity can be tricky. Some objects need wires run directly to them. Others simply need to be within the radius of a power radiator. I don't mean a power source, like a windmill or fusion generator. You can find the radiators in the same section as the conduits, and they have to attached to a conduit of some kind. The vanilla radiators have a ridiculously small radius. I modded the game to increase it 10 times the area. There are mods on the Nexus that do likewise.

With items like spotlights or laser turrets that need electricity directly run to them, you have to start with a generator of some kind. You can make windmills with no Science, so that is what you will probably start with. If I recall, you select the generator and press space. That should give you a wire that you can attack to an object. If it is close enough you can run the wire directly to your device. Most likely you will have to create a series of connectors to move power around your settlement. You run a wire from one connector to another in a daisy chain, until you get to your end devices.

There are all kinds of connectors. Most are in the Connectors and Switches sub-section of Power. The main kind is the Power Conduit. It is just a little metal plug that you can run a wire to and from. There are also pylons, which are good for going over long distances outdoors.

There is also a conduit sub-section has a lot more as well. This is not to be confused with the Power Conduits. It is all pipes that power runs through. I like the conduits. Start with a Conduit Junction (it acts like a Power Conduit), and then attach a line of conduit pipes from it. I put power radiators at regular intervals along the pipe. Typically I will run a line of conduit down the lengths of two walls of a building. With the modded power radiators, that will power all the lights inside. Here is an example, with power coming from a windmill on the left, and running down into two lines of conduit

I have read that Power Pylons also give of a radius of power, like power radiators do. But I have not really tried doing much with them.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Feb 18 2019, 02:14 PM
Post #17

Master
Group Icon

Pylons do indeed radiate power like the smaller pylons. I use the wooden pylons in to power up the houses in Sanctuary. I'll put two of them on the rooftops and string wire between them and all the houses.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 18 2019, 09:24 PM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

Oh, running those small wooden pylons along the eave is a really good idea! Do you have them laying down or standing upright? I don't know how to angle anything in game like I can in the CK.

I used one of the smaller wooden pylons dead center in the back of all the houses in Sanctuary; (flush against the house) but it wasn't enough to power the house = had to put at least 4 wall mounted Conduit spike things around the outside of the houses too.

On those big pylons SubRosa is talking about = they work really well for that "Area of Effect" Electricity for lighting.

Example:

https://i.imgur.com/dFbvnMY.jpg

You can see the length of the gaps between them in the row of large pylons on the roof of this building; and the row of lights so far below it = those lights are powered only by the pylon's radiant Electricity.

Because it worked so well there; I tried using them on the houses too = put one of the big pylons dead center on each of the roofs in Sanctuary to run wires to the turrets there = was hoping the pylon would also supply ambient power to the lights in the house; but it didn't work = not sure why.

I am going to keep experimenting with it; see if I can figure out the problem. I'm really hoping to get rid of all the wires around the houses = was even considering toggling clipping and trying to run the pylons below ground, lol. (couldn't do it, "TCL" stopped working in my game on that last Steam update when the screenshots stopped working).

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 18 2019, 09:28 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Feb 18 2019, 09:26 PM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

Two of them along the roof ridge usually takes care of the whole house. Sometimes the radius doesn't make it to the front door, though.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 18 2019, 09:34 PM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kane @ Feb 18 2019, 03:26 PM) *

Two of them along the roof ridge usually takes care of the whole house. Sometimes the radius doesn't make it to the front door, though.

Okay, thanks! I'll add one to each house and remove all that other I put around the houses!

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:30 AM