4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trey In Mournhold, Chapter 1
minque
post Aug 28 2005, 10:23 AM
Post #61

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Such wonderful update.....I feel sympathetic to the simple Nord and that Trey shows compassion and kindness.

I also enjoyed the part about the book and the dedication....

Once again treydog has shown us all what a great writer he is..... cake.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lucidarius
post Aug 28 2005, 09:59 PM
Post #62

Evoker

Pursuasion was a good way to solve the dilemma and free Dilborn. I remember getting into a fight resulting in poor Dilborn ending up dead.

I agree with Kiln regarding the book. You're a master in evoking those images in the reader's mind with little details like Trey keeping the book.

--------------------
Virtue itself turns vice, being misapplied,
And vice sometime's by action dignified.
Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet II, 3
+Quote Post
Neck' Thall
post Aug 29 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #63

Finder
Group Icon

I killed the dudes and saved dilborn but then Trud got stuckin the door(i didn't know about RA) so i kiklled him but Dilbornattacked me to...im sad and im sry that i messed up...l verysad.gif sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Aug 29 2005, 10:43 AM
Post #64

Mage
Group Icon

Hehe, i just paid the guy the trifling sum of 3000 septims and went about my business biggrin.gif

Grat update Treydog

This post has been edited by LoneWolf: Aug 29 2005, 10:43 AM

--------------------
IPB Image

D�anaim smaoineamh, d� bhr� sin, t�im ann - Descartes

Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
treydog
post Aug 31 2005, 01:07 AM
Post #65

Master
Group Icon

So now I was stuck in Mournhold, with no money nor any prospects for earning any. I briefly considered recovering my thousand drakes from Drathas, but dismissed the idea. While I might succeed in such an endeavor, chances were that the repercussions would affect Dilborn and Thrud, and that was a result I did not desire. After all, Drathas was probably just one part of a larger criminal enterprise. Now that Dilborn was safe, though, I could investigate the sewers further. Perhaps I could find out what the goblins had been doing down there; perhaps I could find some merchandise lying around loose, just waiting for an enterprising individual to pick it up and sell it. Even though the problem of the goblins had nothing to do with me, it was a puzzle. And I didn’t like to leave unsolved puzzles- they have a way of making your life miserable. At any rate, it seemed that this section of the sewers should be fairly safe now, with the exception of Drathas and his crew, who I intended to leave strictly alone.

Note to self- never assume anything is safe.

Postscript to note- never assume anything at all.

Because I believed that all of the actively hostile creatures had been removed, I did not take even the most fundamental precautions, such as casting Beggars Nose. Thus, the first clue I had that anything was amiss was the sound of several quite large “somethings” splashing through the waters of the sewers and coming closer. Startled, I turned to see what was causing the noise and beheld a nightmare creature. The beast was a sickly green color, ran on four legs, and sported a massively-armored head equipped with four sharp, slightly curved tusks. In the gloom beneath the streets, I could only estimate the size, but it appeared to be some 15 to 18 feet long from snout to tail-tip. And it did not seem friendly. At last, the efficient little botanical/zoological portion of my brain combined all of the sensory input, compared it to the catalog of known or described creatures and presented a conclusion- Durzog. Also known as a “sludgepuppy,” the Durzog was used by the goblins as a sort of huge war-dog. The beasts were quite loyal, excellent trackers, and extremely hard to kill. They were also said to be somewhat smarter than the goblins who handled them. Just as the “Pocket Guide to the Creatures of Nirn” portion of my mind started to list the alchemical properties of Durzog flesh and speculate on the possibility of creating armor from Durzog scales, a different portion, the one devoted to keeping me alive, interrupted with some pungent advice. That advice took the form of: “Run, you idiot!”

Suiting action to thought, I darted back through one of the arches and began to frantically look for a defensible position. I knew that levitation would probably be an effective defense again, but I wanted something more. A pile of collapsed masonry and stone columns gave me an idea- I wanted the Durzog to be able to see me, to think it could get to me, and I wanted to be safe if the levitation wore off unexpectedly. A potion took me to the top of the pile and a muttered “bogha tromhad” conjured the longbow I needed. In an instant, the Durzog had rounded the corner, where it met with an arrow in the soft flesh at the base of its head. The resultant roars were nearly deafening, but the goading of the arrow ensured that the creature would not lose interest and get out of range. It required several more carefully placed shots before the beast finally collapsed. In the meantime, its hunting roars had alerted a couple of friends, which fortunately met a similar fate. It occurred to me that I was soon going to need more and perhaps better arrows if I intended to spend much time in Mournhold. The Dark Brotherhood armor and enchanted silver long sword that had served me well enough in Vvardenfell were barely adequate. Stealth and marksmanship were going to have to serve me- I could not win hand-to-hand battles with the creatures I was seeing here.

Before entrusting myself to the walkways of the sewers again, I cast Beggars Nose to make sure there weren’t anymore four- (or six- or eight-) legged surprises waiting for me. The spell revealed nothing of interest and my explorations confirmed that impression. As for the goblins and their pets, all I found were a few indications that they had been there- but nothing that pointed to any sort of camp or bivouac. If not for the unmistakable evidence of the bodies scattered around and the new scars on my leg, they might never have been here. The signs did seem to originate from one area, a flooded passage that apparently went into some other section of Old Mournhold. I stared at it for a long time, my desire to solve the mystery warring with my distaste at the idea of submerging myself in that noisome pool. At last I turned away, firmly reminding myself that my business was not with the goblins. Little did I know that I would soon be swimming in even darker waters, both literally and figuratively.

Here Ends Chapter 1

With a tip of the biorraid to OverrideB1- you're right, spells are better with words.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Aug 31 2005, 01:28 AM
Post #66

Master
Group Icon

Great ending to Chapter 1 Trey! great job indeedGreat ending to Chapter 1 Trey! great job indeed

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
Channler
post Aug 31 2005, 04:17 AM
Post #67

Master
Group Icon

Awsome job! Heh makes it even better cause I have no idea whats going to happen!

--------------------
“I'm not insensitive, I just don't care.”
-Anonymous
IPB Image
+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Sep 22 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #68

Knower
Group Icon

Just joined the forums, partly so I could post in this thread. The story of Trey was one of my favorite stories on the official forums, and I'm ecstatic that Trey's adventures in Mournhold are being chronicled as well. Chapter 1 was great; I'm looking forward to chapter 2.
+Quote Post
Neck' Thall
post Sep 22 2005, 04:26 AM
Post #69

Finder
Group Icon

Cool...Unfourtunatly for me by the time i got to Mournhold none of the dude could really hurt me...and i was a thief...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rohzan
post Jul 12 2008, 08:14 AM
Post #70

Associate

How do I post my story (I'm new so i got no idea what to do, i onlyjoined to post my story) Please help!
kvright.gif
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 7 2010, 11:59 PM
Post #71

Ancient
Group Icon

Treydog, this is HUGE! I am stunned by Trey's story so far, and love it! It will take me a while to catch up, but I am looking forward to the insights into the things Athlain said!!! This is Awesome!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Apr 13 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #72

Master
Group Icon

Thank you for reading- Mournhold is the "middle" section of my Treylogy.... It is darker than the first installment, but I also think it is better-written....

--------------------

+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Aug 31 2013, 08:08 AM
Post #73

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(treydog @ Aug 7 2005, 07:54 PM) *

An excellent day!!...I remember it well!!...Nah, that's a lie...I've no idea what I was doing...

Anyways...This is what I meant when I said I was going from the start...And then I find that even this isn't the start... biggrin.gif ...

Hey-ho...

Loved that first part...On this above second piece next...

*Adjusts backpack*...Reet...On with the long haul... tongue.gif ...

Nice one!!...

QUOTE(That man Kiln @ Aug 7 2005 @ sometimeorother)
Very nice to see an update Trey. You have a very definative writing style.*Applause*

What? Waitaminute!!!...

Damn...I'm not original with the applauding?... huh.gif ...Oh... sad.gif ...

*Applauds heartily anyways*...

biggrin.gif ...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Aug 31 2013, 08:10 AM
+Quote Post
treydog
post Aug 31 2013, 12:34 PM
Post #74

Master
Group Icon

Oh... umm... Yes. Mostly because I wanted to do more writing, and also to answer someone's question "Where did Trey's wife come from?" (NOT looking at you, minque- nope)- I wrote the middle of the story after the other one was finished.

IF you want to inflict yourself with that first effort, it can be found HERE, along with some quite good work by some others.

As ever- thank you so much for reading.

--------------------

+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Sep 1 2013, 06:39 AM
Post #75

Councilor
Group Icon

I will, indeed inflict myself with that at some point...But, as a wise man is fond of saying, I've started so I'll finish...

Most likely I'll go through BOTM first though... tongue.gif ...

A couple of things I noticed as I was going through this though...

Firstly, it's all so long ago!!... laugh.gif ...2005-2007?!!...

I hadn't realised how long ago BOTM had started!...Blimey, I'm so far behind... laugh.gif ...

Secondly, while Seth and Blackie are so obviously their own men...Whether it's just a consequence of third-person narratives, but the two stories are so similar in style it's spooky!...

This first Trey chapter does definitely feel completely different to the Athlain chapters I've been reading from when I joined...Yes, passage of time/evolution of the writer etc...But just in general feel, it's more like Black Hand's Memoirs...

I know my own brief foray into Third-Person with J'Zirlo's Journal thing didn't feel like this... biggrin.gif ...But hey, that's just me...

Oh, and how long before you dropped the man of mystery routine?...You're so quiet on some of these early ones... biggrin.gif ...It's nice that you thank your readers, it's a nice thing to do, polite and all... tongue.gif ...So what changed? and when?...

Although, one thing that's not changed...Absolute brilliance...I've never played Morrowind...And given how brilliantly you write these quests out...I will never need to...

I think Kiln (again) asked you about writing something original for Trey to do...Did that ever happen or did you just leave that for Athlain and his charging about after Daedric Lords?... biggrin.gif ...

Fair dues, I'll just nip back in time and applaud you some back then as well...You well deserved it!...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Sep 1 2013, 07:42 PM
Post #76

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Aug 31 2013, 10:39 PM) *
Secondly, while Seth and Blackie are so obviously their own men...Whether it's just a consequence of third-person narratives, but the two stories are so similar in style it's spooky!...

This first Trey chapter does definitely feel completely different to the Athlain chapters I've been reading from when I joined...Yes, passage of time/evolution of the writer etc...But just in general feel, it's more like Black Hand's Memoirs...

The Man was my mentor and inspiration.

Oh, and how long before you dropped the man of mystery routine?...You're so quiet on some of these early ones... biggrin.gif ...It's nice that you thank your readers, it's a nice thing to do, polite and all... tongue.gif ...So what changed? and when?...

Treydog is humble and modest to a fault. So much so, he would not even admit that he is modest and humble. We both share a complex with compliments: Whether deserved or not, we don't know how to respond and never truly think that we are deserving of them.

Keep the 'Whhat?! Pish-tosh! You guys are great!" reaction saved, it's something that also drives us to improve and perfect our styles, and to not 'rest on our laurels' as it were.

What changed was that I beleive someone told him or he realized that the whole 'quiet' thing may have across the wrong way, when no offense was intended. I beleive he said: "I consider it spamming my own thread."

But, those compliments are appreciated all the same, believe it or not.

The best way to see it is as a beautiful sunset that moves you, though you may tell it it is so it cannot respond to you, and it simply is.

This post has been edited by Black Hand: Sep 1 2013, 07:42 PM
+Quote Post
ArtemisNoir
post Mar 11 2023, 08:00 PM
Post #77

Evoker

Thanks for the heads up that this is stand-alone, I couldn't precisely remember.

Reading this again, I'm left with the same impressions I was before. That forward has to be one of the most self-deprecating introductions I have ever read! (and it does nothing to dissuade the reader from knowing it will be a grand read; indeed, it just furthers anticipation) biggrin.gif

I love your descriptions of Mournhold, its sewers, and the way you slowly build intrigue, while providing a perfect balance of plot and levity.

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:08 PM