Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blood of the Kyn, Volume II
Dantrag
post Dec 8 2009, 08:08 AM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

Click for Volume I

The start of Volume II; where stuff actually starts to happen. wink.gif Enjoy.

Chapter 1 - Tensions

I am lost. Azyrek recited the words in his mind as he stood in the center of the Plaza Brindisi Dorom, in front of a beautifully sculpted pair of statues. He looked around one time to make sure there were no prying eyes.

His lips finally moved to form the words, and he felt a slight rumble beneath his feet. He heard rock grinding rock and looked down to see one slowly descending. It was large enough to stand on, so he did. The dremora slowly fell into darkness on a magickally suspended stone.

Azyrek could see nothing in the darkness, but he could tell that he had reached the bottom of whatever pit the Brotherhood had sent him to.

"We've been expecting you, Brother," he heard, just before a torch was lit, "Welcome to Bamz-Amschend. Cemented over when the Plaza was repaired, but the Dark Brotherhood laid claim."

Azyrek could tell from the accent that his 'brother' was a native dunmer, though his face was masked.

"Thank you, Brother."

"I will show you to your room soon. First, you must follow me."

Azyrek followed the mer, and in the torchlight could see that they were in an old, old place. He had never seen any ruins such as these before. Judging by the machinery, they had to be from the dwemer. A stark contrast to the old Ayleid fortresses he would see in Cyrodiil. They went further down and eventually into a tunnel. The metal and stonework disappeared, making it obvious that it had been dug long since the dwemer walked the halls.

They came to a door, and the other assassin stood by it.

"The Speaker awaits you, Azyrek."

Azyrek opened the door to find a surprisingly homey room. The floors were wooden, though the walls were those of a natural cavern. There was a bed in the back corner, and to his left was a crackling fireplace. Arranged in a semicircle in front of it sat a sofa and chairs. On the sofa was another dunmer, who sat with his hands in front, hidden under the folds of his black robe. Much like Azyrek often did, he had a hood pulled low over his face.

"Greetings, Murderer. Vicente send word of your success and promotion. It seems Sithis and the Night Mother favor you."

Azyrek gave a slight bow. Noting that this dunmer was not native. It sounded like a dark elf from home would.

"I know you're weary from travel, so I will be brief. You are never to enter this Sanctuary again. The name of your first target is Temis Alam. He goes by the name Ras here, performing magick in the Bazaar. He is Morag Tong and I want him dead.

"Once he is dead, we will contact you. We have arranged for you a place to hide and begin your destiny."

"So...I have to leave now?"

"No, stay the night, and prepare tomorrow. You will leave us when night falls. Farewell, Murderer. The Night Mother expects great things of you."

Azyrek took his cue, said his goodbyes, and left the room. The dunmer was still outside the door with the torch. They walked further into the tunnels, and Azyrek was shown his room. It was nothing but a bed and a table with a jug of water, but it was all he needed. Too tired to think, he laid down and went to sleep.

This post has been edited by Dantrag: May 19 2010, 07:02 PM

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Mar 19 2010, 07:29 AM
Post #2

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter 1 - Tensions (continued)

The next day was uneventful, but a welcome rest from the road. Azyrek spent his time sharpening blades, stabbing dummies, and gathering information from his brothers and sisters. He was in a strange city, and his appearance put him at a disadvantage. Unlike others, he didn't have the luxury of wandering around in broad daylight to hear the latest rumors and get his bearings. This wasn't going to be an easy assignment.

When night fell, the halfblood took a seat in the common room to eat. The food was the best he'd had in a while; good crabmeat, fresh saltrice bread, and a few comberrys to finish. He was popping the berries into his mouth when a fellow assassin sat next to him. Azyrek recognized him as the one who greeted him at the door the previous night.

"Finish your meal quickly, brother. It is time."

Azyrek nodded, "The Speaker said something about a hideout."

"Indeed. Follow me and I will take you there."

Azyrek took a few more berries in his hand and stood up, "Let's go then."

The other assassin got on his feet as well, and lead Azyrek through the sanctuary. The complexity of the tunnels was suddenly obvious as Azyrek realized that he was completely disoriented. His brother seemed confident, though, so he kept following. A few twists and a couple of turns later, his guide stopped at a tunnel's dead end. Muttering a pass phrase under his breath, the cavern wall shifted, revealing a completely different set of tunnels. He could hear the distant sound of flowing water.

"Go straight forward from here until you can go no further," his guide instructed, "Turn right, and you will find yourself in the sewers beneath the Bazaar. On the eastern side is what used to be a storeroom. It is secluded, and you should be hidden well enough, but still be watchful. Goblins and bandits are known to live in the sewers."

Azyrek nodded and walked past.

"Good hunting, brother. May Sithis guide your hand and the Night Mother bless your blade."

Azyrek waved goodbye without stopping or looking backwards. He heard the secret passageway close again, and knew that he was alone once more. He found his hideout easily enough, and even spotted a manhole that would take him up to the city proper. The storeroom was dirty, and filled with rotten crates and barrels, but there was a small bedroll in the corner and a lone candle sitting beside it. He dropped off a few of his traveling items before ascending the ladder to the Great Bazaar. There was a mage to track down and blood to spill.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Mar 19 2010, 09:15 AM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

I know there's a couple right in a row. You guys can handle it, I think.

He rose from the sewers unseen, and crept around the Bazaar. There were still guards patrolling, so he was forced to stick to the shadows. His eyes darted back and forth as he moved, committing to mind all the tiny details of this new place, while being wary of other watchful eyes. He didn't yet know where to find his target, but in the meantime, he would know his surroundings like the back of his own gray hand.

It wasn't long before he moved to the next district, the Plaza. He had already been here, and there was little else but the gardens and statue. He moved on to Godsreach, and was surprised to see a bit of activity. Unlike the other districts, which had gone silent, Azyrek found that staying unseen here was more difficult. People filtered in and out of one building constantly. The people leaving were mostly staggering.

A tavern, no doubt.

On closer inspection, he found that he was right. The sign read The Winged Guar, and he could hear the reverberations of raucous voices and merry music emanating from inside. He knew that it was dangerous to show himself, especially so soon, but he could usually go unnoticed in a tavern. Against his better judgement, he found himself walking to the door.

He entered with no incident, and found himself a secluded table in a dimly lit corner. A lot could be learned simply from listening, and the drinks created many loosened tongues.

"Hey there," a seedy-looking dunmer approached him.

"Hi," Azyrek said in a way that expressed his lack of desire for company.

"Looking to play a game of shells?"

The dunmer obviously missed the hint.

"No."

"How about if we play for a drink, eh? You win, I buy you one. I win, you buy me one."

Azyrek sighed, "Fine. I'll play a game."

The dunmer smiled, laying out three shells onto the table, "I'm going to put this coin under one of these shells, like so."

"I know how to play. You move the shells around, and I have to keep track of the one with the coin under it."

"A veteran, eh? Let's hope I get to drink a little tonight!"

Azyrek sighed again. The mer's behavior was already irritating.

"Ready to play then?"

Azyrek nodded while sighing for a third time.

The dunmer placed the middle shell over the coin and began moving all three. Azyrek watched closely, and grinned when the dunmer slyly dumped the coin off the edge of the table into a waiting hand. It was all very quick, but the halfblood was used to looking for subtleties.

"Which shell then?" the dunmer's grin was almost as big as Azyrek's.

"The left."

The dunmer lifted the shell to reveal nothing. "Oh, too bad. Looks like you owe me a drink."

"Hmm. Give me one more try. Double or nothing."

The dunmer grinned, "Deal."

The shells were reset, and Azyrek watched him perform the same trick.

"Which one is it then, sera?"

Azyrek leaned in closer, stroking his chin, "Which one, indeed."

"Well?"

"Tell me, do you know any spells?"

The dunmer gave a confused expression, "Besides summoning an ancestor ghost? No."

"Really? I thought you might be the type. Spells are very tricky, you know. A good mage has to make the most precise hand and finger movements, sometimes while having to speak the correct incantation at the same time. It takes a lot of time to practice magicka effectively."

"That's all very fascinating, sir, but I think you're stalling. Which shell is it?"

"That one," he answered, tapping the mer's hand that rested on the table.

"Very funny, but we both know it isn't a shell."

"Exactly."

They stared at each other for a moment, but Azyrek won the contest. The dunmer knew he was caught.

"Listen, all I need is a little bit of information, and I'll keep quiet about your scam."

"What kind of information?"

"I'm looking for the mage that performs in the Bazaar. Ras is his name. I'm an aspiring mage, you see, and he has some rather unique spells I would like to learn more about."

The dunmer gave him a strange look, "He performs every day at noon since he arrived this week. Anyone could tell you that."

Covering his slight mistake, Azyrek pressed on for more knowledge, "You think I don't know that? I want to know where he stays! I've tried to catch him after a performance, but he's much too busy to speak with every onlooker. Please, I've hit a wall in my studies, and his spells are just what I need to reach the next level."

"I've got no idea. You might ask his woman, though. She's come in here before. If you've seen the show, you'll know what she looks like. She's his assistant."

"Well if you see her, tell her I'd like to meet her here at midnight three days from today," he slid five coins the dunmer's way, "I'm giving you this in good faith, and as long as you help me, I'll keep your secret."

The dunmer nodded, "I'll do my best, but there's no guarantee that she'll be back."

"I hope she does, for your sake. I don't know many people who like to gamble on rigged games."

"Listen, I have to talk to some real customers, but I'll keep an eye out for her, okay?"

"That's all I ask."

The dunmer left, muttering about blackmailing s'wits, and Azyrek reveled in his progress for a moment before returning to his hideout.

This post has been edited by Dantrag: Mar 19 2010, 09:16 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Mar 19 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #4

Master
Group Icon

So good to see you continuing, Danny! This is wonderfully atmospheric- and I also appreciate the subtle ways you show Azyrek is a stranger- and how he covers it.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Olen
post Mar 19 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

I know there's a couple right in a row. You guys can handle it, I think.

I most certainly can. I love this story, it flows nicely and has interesting characters and fresh takes on things in game. And I agree with what Trey said about the atmosphere and feel of the character.

Great stuff. More?

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Mar 21 2010, 09:57 PM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

kinda short, but i'll be updating more often for a while.

Three days passed, and Azyrek had spent the time roaming the streets to get to know his new location. He even got out during the day a couple times, and realized that he could blend into the crowds easily during peak hours. The day before, he had watched Ras' stage show. They were impressive feats of magicka, but Azyrek did well to focus on his mission rather than the entertainment. He caught a glimpse of Ras' assistant then, and committed the face to memory.

Now, though, he was heading back to The Winged Guar. Hopefully the gambler had arranged the meeting. Azyrek seated himself at the same table shortly before midnight. He saw the gambler swindling a patron with his shell trick, oblivious of his presence. The bartender had his back turned, wiping glasses clean and setting them up on the shelf. There were a few rowdier drunks across the room; a group of Nords singing in a different language. The gambler finally noticed him. They made eye contact and Azyrek waved him over.

"What?" the gambler asked impatiently as he sat down.

"So is she coming?"

The gambler laughed, "I don't think so. She didn't seem too keen on meeting a stranger at midnight."

"Well you have to earn that gold I gave you. What else can you tell me?"

The gambler glanced around quickly before leaning closer, "My information is worth more than five septims, and so is keeping my mouth shut. I want fifty before I say another word."

"Twenty-five."

"Fine, but you may want to pay me more. There's been a woman here, asking around about a half-dremora even before we met. I'm not stupid; I saw your hand when we played shells the other night and put the pieces together. You're him, and you want to stay hidden."

"What did you tell her?"

"Nothing, of course. I wanted to give you a chance to strike a deal. How much is my silence worth to you?"

Azyrek's eyes narrowed. This dog wanted him to pay up, but it wasn't going to happen. He didn't have the time or resources to be worried about this scum.

"About as much as your life. Somebody finds me, I find you. Simple as that," Azyrek threatened, "I'll pay you to find out more about Ras' assistant, and we'll call it even on the blackmail. I keep your cheating to myself, and you say nothing of me to anyone."

The gambler nodded. He much preferred gold over death.

"Here's the twenty-five. I'll be back in a week to see what you've learned."

The gambler smiled, "Bring your coinpurse."

Azyrek left the tavern deep in thought. Of course it was Rinori asking for him. There was no one else that knew him in Mournhold, and she had made him travel a week out of his way in order to arrive in the city first. It made sense until he got to the why. Why was she so intent on finding him?

It doesn't matter. I'll just keep my mind on Ras, and won't let Rinori blow my cover.

--------------------
+Quote Post
minque
post Mar 22 2010, 01:15 AM
Post #7

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Yay! Azyrek's back, I'm very pleased to see this! I love this story, keep it coming, ya hear Danny!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Mar 24 2010, 08:23 AM
Post #8

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter 2 - A Decision

Arriving in Mournhold was a breath of fresh air. For a brief moment, all her worries seemed to stay back in Kragenmoor. She forgot about Ornos and Venyn, Tredyn and the ball, and focused solely on finding Azyrek. For the moment it didn't even bother her that Ornos hadn't told her why.

It was early afternoon, and within moments of being transported to the city Rinori was walking the busy streets with purpose. She knocked a few shoulders, but never stopped until she was in the Bazaar. There was a small gathering of people in front of a stage, and she stood among them.

"Come one, come all to see the amazing Ras and his final act today!"

A curtain was pulled back to reveal a dunmer in an eye-catching but unfashionable blue silk robe. Rinori smiled at the sight.

"And now, summoned from the depths of Oblivion for your viewing pleasure...."

The crowd gasped as a Golden Saint appeared on the stage.

"Do you want to see us battle?"

The crowd cheered its approval.

"You want to watch me disintegrate this daedra before your very eyes?"

He was answered with many voices resounding the word 'yes'.

"Then watch."

Ras formed a fireball above the palm of his hand and as time passed it grew larger and larger. Within a few seconds the inferno was larger than his head. The audience watched with open jaws. With a sudden jerk of movement, Ras flung the fireball towards the Golden Saint, and when it hit, there was not a single golden trace, not a single speck of ash.

The applause was almost deafening, and Ras gave multiple bows before disappearing behind the curtain once more. Rinori made her way towards him, hoping to catch him before he left in his wagon.

"Temis!" she shouted.

The showman stopped short of his wagon and turned his head to see a familiar face.

"Please, Ras in public. Hurry up and get inside and we'll talk."

Rinori did just that.

"Rinori, what are you doing here?" Temis asked once they both had a seat.

"I'm looking for something. Or rather, someone, and I thought you might be able to help."

"Official business?"

She nodded and felt the wagon lurch forward.

"Just who are you looking for, then?"

"He's a half-dremora. I think his name is Azyrek, but I can't be sure."

"A half-blood? You have his writ?"

"Well...no."

"Then why are you looking for him?"

Rinori paused for a moment, "I'm...not sure."

"Ornos sent you, didn't he?"

"Yes."

Temis sighed, "I haven't heard anything, but I will keep my ears open. The city hasn't been as safe lately, so I've been staying in a cottage hidden outside the city. Stay with me tonight, and we'll start your search tomorrow."

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olen
post Mar 25 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #9

Mouth
Group Icon

Good to see this developing again. I love this story, you have really compelling characters and a mysterious plot building. I can't really see anything wrong...

..except that there isn't enough tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Olen: Mar 25 2010, 09:39 PM

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Mar 26 2010, 08:13 AM
Post #10

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter 2 - A Decision

"A what?"

"Half-dremora. Have you heard of one in the city?"

"Listen, lady, I don't know what you're talking about. You want to play shells or not?"

Rinori dropped a sack that made a metallic sound when it hit the table.

"That's fifty," she said, pointing at the gold, "You might get more if you help me a little."

"Yea, there's been one in here, he keeps to himself," he said, but not before claiming his money, "I won't say more than that."

Rinori put another sack down, "How about now?"

"Nope."

Rinori and the gambler locked eyes for a few long seconds. There was no give in his expression, no hint of weakness in his resolve.

"Fine, I'll play," another sack dropped onto the table, "Fifty more."

"You said you wanted me to help you a little, and I did. I can't say more, but if you'd like to play shells..."

Rinori gave a fake smile before collecting her coins and leaving. On leaving the darkened tavern, the midday sun hurt her eyes. She moved back towards the Bazaar, where Temis was likely finishing his show.

She caught the very end of the Golden Saint act, just where 'Ras' tosses a big fireball while his assistant simultaneously casts a discrete dispel. She clapped along with the crowd before meeting Temis back at the wagon.

"Any luck then?" he asked her while ridding himself of his stage clothes.

"A little something, maybe. A dunmer in the Winged Guar said he saw a halfblood, and as common as they are, I'll bet it's Azyrek."

"You heard it in the Guar?" a voice piped in, "Wouldn't put too much weight in it."

"Why not, Narsa?" Rinori asked.

"It's the only tavern in the city. Scumbags are naturally attracted to the place, though they do their best to make it look classy. Good drinks, but bad information."

Narsa was a Thinker in the guild, serving the Brother, Temis by acting as his assistant. Narsa was a cynic, and often ice cold, but that mindset had kept her alive all this time. Temis, on the other hand, was typically unbiased in his reasoning. Both had been in the guild longer than Rinori, and she took their advice seriously.

"You might be right, but I still think he's here."

"What makes you so sure, White Thrall?" Narsa asked, emphasizing Rinori's lower rank.

Because he told me he would. Rinori wanted to say, but didn't. Narsa would only laugh at that reasoning.

"Just my gut," she finally answered out loud. There was something too strange about the gambler.

"Well keep looking then, but stay alert and don't believe everything you hear," Temis urged, "Don't ignore your gut, but don't blindly trust it either."

Rinori nodded.

"Are you staying in the city tonight, Rinori, or coming with us again?"

"I'll stay with you one more night," she answered, "And return tomorrow with you. After that I'll find my own way."

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Aug 13 2010, 06:26 AM
Post #11

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter 2 - A Decision

Rinori rode into Mournhold with Temis and Narsa for the last time. She was well rested from her nights at the cottage, and was more than ready to face her task head on. She stayed with her two friends until they had to go on stage; she had more important business than a wizardly show.

She pushed through the crowd, trying to leave, but something caught her eye. A figure stood near the back, taller than most others, with a cowl covering his face.

Could it be...? she wondered, changing direction. Moving people to the side, and squeezing through tight spaces, she made her way. Rinori couldn't see him anymore, but she knew she was getting closer.

She bumped into another person, "Excuse me," she said tried to push past for a moment. Then she looked up.

"Azyr-"

He put his hand over her mouth, "Shh. Not so loud. I'm trying to watch."

Rinori smiled, "I knew it was you! I knew it!"

So I've found him. Now what, Ornos?

"Shh!" Azyrek repeated, eyes still focused on the stage.

Rinori held her tongue for a few minutes, until the show was finished. The crowd began to disperse, and she turned to face the halfblood.

"I told you I'd find you here," she said, poking him in the chest.

Azyrek didn't seem too happy to see her.

"You made damn sure it would happen didn't you?"

Rinori gave a blank look, "What are you talking about?"

"You sent me to Andrethis. A week out of my way! I was practically standing next to Kragenmoor!"

Rinori was caught, but she had planned for this conversation, and had a defense.

"You were pretty stubborn if I remember it right. You wanted to be rid of me so bad you wouldn't even consider stopping in Kragenmoor!"

"You still could have told me," he said, though there was less fire in his voice.

"I sent you to the next closest guide, if it makes you feel any better. What's done is done though, right?"

"I guess," Azyrek answered. If Rinori had been paying attention, she would have realized that his eyes were looking past her, towards the stage where Temis and Narsa were preparing to leave.

"Are you busy right now?" she asked.

"Actually, yes," he said impatiently.

"What about tonight, then? Want to go for a drink?"

He shook his head, "The locals aren't too fond of me."

"Well then I'll get the drinks and we'll have them somewhere in peace. Meet you outside the gate around ten?"

"I'll be there," he said quickly, just as Temis' wagon passed by.

"Great!" she said happily, "I'll-"

"I really have to go right now, Rinori, but I'll catch up to you, alright?"

Azyrek's urgency seemed serious enough, so she nodded, "You better be there."

"I will," he promised, as he turned to leave.

Rinori stood there for a moment, before deciding to take care of her own business. She needed lodging, food, and now drinks.

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Aug 13 2010, 11:58 AM
Post #12

Master
Group Icon

Danny!! You're working on Blood of the Kyn some more! Good.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Aug 13 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #13

Councilor
Group Icon

Glad to still have a reader after all this time. This one's short, but there's more coming.

Chapter 2 - A Decision

Night fell, and Rinori was in her room, settling in. She sat on the edge of the bed, wondering what to do next. She'd found Azyrek, as she was told, though it happened more by chance than her own searching. Keeping an eye on him was going to be difficult as well. The half-dremora was too much of a solitary person to keep company all the time. She wasn't even sure if he would even meet her as planned.

What is it that you know, Ornos, and why didn't you tell me?

She looked over at her nightstand to realize that her candle had almost burned away. It was nearing that time. She blew out the flame and put a dagger in her boot before grabbing the brandy she'd bought earlier in the day. She walked quickly through the dark streets, taking a direct route to the gates.

"Rinori!" she heard a sharp whisper from the alley.

She turned quickly to see Narsa in front of her, "Narsa, you scared me!"

"Rinori, something terrible has happened,"

"What do you mean?" she asked, Narsa seemed worried, and anything that could upset her was serious indeed.

"It's Temis. He's...he's dead, Rinori. Dead. We left the city after the show and went to the cottage. I was outside and heard something. I rushed inside to find Temis dead. Stabbed dozens of times. There was a blood trail headed back towards Mournhold, so I think Temis must have at least hurt his attacker. The trail ended before reaching here, but I'm sure he's in the city."

"What can I do?"

"Be careful, Rinori, and watch your back. I'll find you again soon when I know more."

She nodded and Narsa disappeared into the shadows. Rinori was disturbed by the news, but she had her own agenda here, and tried to stay focused. She was looking forward to catching up with Azyrek, too, she had to admit. Her mind was still racing when she finally got to the other side of the gate, and she was disappointed to see that Azyrek wasn't there yet.

She leaned against the wall and took a sip of brandy, waiting.

This post has been edited by Dantrag: Aug 13 2010, 06:26 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olen
post Aug 15 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #14

Mouth
Group Icon

It's good to see this continued, it took me a couple of days but I've read back to remember what was going on and I still love this piece. I think suspicions will begin to rise if she meets him.

I like this piece, it's quite different.

--------------------
+Quote Post
minque
post Aug 15 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #15

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Yay! More Azyrek and Rinori....this is interesting, I'm very eager to learn more so please Danny, continue! Me like!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Aug 16 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #16

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter 2

Rinori let her back slide down the giant stone wall until she was seated comfortably on the grass. She had finished half her bottle already, and was about to give up on having company.

I should've known he wouldn't come. she thought bitterly, though she didn't move.

It seemed like an eternity before a familiar dark figure came walking through the gate.

"What took you so long?" she asked irritably, "I've been here for ages!"

"I, uh," he stopped to take a few breaths, "Got into some trouble."

Rinori could tell that something was amiss, "What kind of trouble?"

"Some orcs at the Guar," he lied, "Didn't take much of a liking to me."

Rinori gave him a strange look, even though he probably couldn't see it in the darkness, "I thought you didn't want to go to a tavern."

"And now you know why," he answered, "I'm here now, right? Does that count for anything?"

"Barely," she said with a smile. She patted the ground next to her, "Have a seat."

He did, though it seemed to pain him. She passed him the remainder of the brandy, and he started gulping like it was water.

"Are you alright?"

"I think so," he said, "I just need to rest."

Rinori saw that he was clutching his side, "Is something broken?"

"It's nothing, really."

"Let me see," she said. She pulled his hand away, and was shocked to see a stab wound, "You'd have me believe this happened in a bar brawl?"

"Not everyone fights fair."

She couldn't help but remember Narsa's story, but what were the chances? Could it be a coincidence that Azyrek showed up with a wound shortly after Temis' death?

Either way, it's my job to keep an eye on him.

"Come on," she said, standing up suddenly, "I'll take you back to my room and we'll get this patched up."

Azyrek shook his head, "I don't want to move."

"C'mon, you big baby, you walked all the way out here and you can lean on me the whole way back. Let's go."

The halfblood grudgingly stood, and leaned heavily on Rinori as they reentered Mournhold's gate. The unlikely pair made their way slowly until Azyrek finally collapsed on the bed in Rinori's room. Rinori went to work immediately, cleaning the wound, stemming the blood flow, and finally bandaging it. By the time she was done, Azyrek was unconscious.

Rinori sat down on a chair beside the bed, tired from her work. She had one last thought before she too drifted off.

I need some answers.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olen
post Aug 16 2010, 11:21 PM
Post #17

Mouth
Group Icon

Yup, so she suspects. Makes me want to know why he showed up though... culd there be more to it than is immediatly obvious? And what answers will she get? Lots of good hooks there and the writing is very readable.

As Minque said, 'Me like!'

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Feb 9 2011, 07:37 PM
Post #18

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter 2 - A Decision

Rinori woke quickly, as there were footsteps outside her door. She looked to Azyrek; he shifted positions, but was obviously still sleeping. Someone fumbled with the lock. Rinori swiftly and silently stood beside it, dagger gripped tightly in her hand.

The door cracked slightly, "Rinori?"

Rinori sighed, relieved, "By Mephala, Narsa. You scared me."

Narsa opened the door fully and stepped inside, "Who is this?" she asked, moving closer to the unconscious form on the bed.

"His name is Azyrek, my assignment from Ornos."

Narsa had a horrified look on her face, "So it's true. You've gone mad, Rinori."

"What are you talking about?"

"What am I talking about? I followed you last night! I told you Temis was dead, and the killer was on the way to Mournhold. Then your target shows up with a wound, and you help him?"

"He's my assignment, not my target."

"Damn Ornos!" Narsa shouted, putting her face an inch from Rinori's, "This is Temis' killer. It's obvious."

"I'm not to kill him." Rinori said weakly, tears forming in her eyes.

"I don't know what's happened to you," Narsa continued, forcing the hilt of a dagger into Rinori's hand, "But these orders come straight from the Grandmaster. Kill him or I will."

"But-"

"Kill him or I will!" Narsa said even louder, "He's your responsibility, so I give you the chance. If you won't take it, I'll delight in watching this scum leave the world of the living."

"Can you...step outside, please?" Rinori asked quietly.

Narsa calmed a bit, "You have one minute. I come back in and he's breathing, I do it myself."

Rinori nodded. Narsa left the room, closing the door behind her. Rinori could hear her pacing footsteps right outside. There was no chance of escape, no chance of pleading with the Grandmaster or checking with Ornos. She had a responsibility, and was expected to see it through.

She found her mind wandering back to the ball in Kragenmoor, the look of utter confusion on Tredyn's face as she plunged the dagger into his heart. How completely awful her betrayal had felt. Something Ornos said to her that night kept echoing in her brain.

That's just it. I want your mind on things.

So she was supposed to learn something that night.

An impatient knock on the door, "Twenty seconds."

Rinori shook Azyrek forcefully. He moaned, but did not wake. His wound was severe. The halfblood needed time to recover in order to defend himself. She held the dagger in her hand, but knew she would do nothing with it. She was helpless. She could not kill Narsa, but she couldn't kill Azyrek either.

"I'm coming in, Rinori," Narsa announced, kicking the door in, "Give me the dagger."

Rinori shook her head.

"Give me the dagger."

Rinori stood stubbornly.

Narsa charged, slamming Rinori into the stone wall. Rinori struggled for breath, and fought even harder to keep her grip on the blade. Narsa punched her stomach, hard. The wind was knocked out of her, and she and the dagger fell to the floor. Narsa scooped up the blade and went straight for Azyrek, laying helpless on the bed.

Rinori tried to scream, but there was no air to power it. She watched in horror as Narsa stabbed the halfblood's heart. Narsa let go of the weapon, leaving it sticking straight up out of Azyrek's chest. Azyrek coughed once, and blood trickled down his cheek, then no more movement.

"I won't tell anyone what you did here," Narsa said to Rinori, who still lay crumpled on the floor, gasping for air, "Just get your priorities straight, girl. Remember your loyalties."

She slammed the door behind her.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olen
post Feb 11 2011, 07:37 PM
Post #19

Mouth
Group Icon

It continues... good I like this piece, it has a fresh feel and a new idea. And assassins which are always good. smile.gif

I didn't see that twist coming, either dremora have some anatomical abnormality I don't know of or one of the main characters is dead... I'm fascinted to know which.

Rinori's confusion is good, it matches mine wink.gif and like her I want to know more.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Feb 12 2011, 08:36 AM
Post #20

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter 3 - Following his Footsteps

Rinori wandered muddy streets, barely noticing and not caring that the stuff was filling her boots as she walked. There was a storm in her head and a lump in her throat that reached all the way down to the depths of her chest. She was mentally and emotionally exhausted, not to mention shaken up from her scuffle with Narsa.

Back in Mournhold, not two hours before, she had tried relentlessly to wake Azyrek, but when she shook his shoulders the body had been stiff. There was no question that he was gone, and so were any answers she may have found. She fled the inn soon after, and gone straight to the guild guide. There was little thinking involved; somehow she knew where she needed to go.

Andrethis. It was a dirty settlement, composed of wooden ramshack buildings for the most part, with a few more solid structures. The people on the street were never lively, they always walked with downcast eyes and slumped shoulders. Perhaps her mood was altering her perceptions, but she didn't think so. She continued through the mud for a while before she realized she had no destination. Leaving Mournhold had felt so good she hadn't thought much past it. She stopped at the next inn she saw.

It was so dilapidated on the outside Rinori couldn't even read the sign. The door hung loose on its hinges, and because of its crooked stance, she could see a soft light from inside. With a shrug she walked in. It was surprisingly homey, though not much nicer on the inside than out.

"Welcome little lady," an old dunmer greeted, "Have a seat and I'll get you a drink to warm your belly."

Wonderful. He's talkative.

All she wanted was sleep, a time when she could forget everything, at least for a few hours. Even so, she sat down.

"So what'll it be?"

"Got brandy?"

"No, but you aren't the first to ask," he answered, "Greef, Sujamma, and Matze."

"Matze, then."

He put the bottle on the counter in front of her and turned away to wipe some mugs. Rinori took a few sips, staring blankly at the flickering flame of a candle. An inch must have melted away before she was brought back to reality.

"Are you hungry?" the barkeep asked.

She shook her head.

"You sure? You look a little pale. If you're short on gold-"

"No," she interrupted, "I can pay. Just not hungry. How much for a room?"

"Ten for the room, five for the drink," he said, handing her a key.

She dropped the coins beside her drink, picked up the bottle and turned to leave.

"Miss?"

She looked back.

"My name's Nevis. If you change your mind, breakfast is an hour after sunup."

Rinori nodded politely before seeking the comfort of sleep.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:08 PM