5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Turn of the Century, A Cyberpunk RP, planning thread
Colonel Mustard
post Apr 29 2013, 08:26 PM
Post #41

Master
Group Icon

Well, considering that this is Cyberpunk, I think a hacker is kind of mandatory as well, though I think McBadgere's Gabriel character has an AI that can hack things so I guess that's covered.

Also, would there be any particularly loud objections to me sticking a GMPC up? Only I've got an idea for a getaway driver style character who I really like.

This post has been edited by Colonel Mustard: Apr 29 2013, 08:26 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Apr 29 2013, 08:49 PM
Post #42

Master
Group Icon

Well, I don't have a real problem. He could be a mystery cabbie/courier. "How come whenever I call a cab it is the same guy with his cryptic messages behind the wheel? I swear that ain't right."

I thought Elisabeth's fixer would do the hacking, but reading back I see she's supposed to be lowtech. And George never got his education and bloody well doesn't have a reason in his background for picking it up. So Gabriel's AI might be our best bet.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Apr 29 2013, 09:18 PM
Post #43

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(jack cloudy @ Apr 29 2013, 08:49 PM) *
Well, I don't have a real problem. He could be a mystery cabbie/courier. "How come whenever I call a cab it is the same guy with his cryptic messages behind the wheel? I swear that ain't right."

I thought Elisabeth's fixer would do the hacking, but reading back I see she's supposed to be lowtech. And George never got his education and bloody well doesn't have a reason in his background for picking it up. So Gabriel's AI might be our best bet.

Hah, now I've got this mental image of one of London's black cabs pulling up on a rain-slicked, neon-lit Vegas street veiled in fog and some cockney in a flat cap winding down a window and calling over to the characters; "You bunch need a lift?" tongue.gif

On the other hand, my getaway driver idea for a character has kind of evolved into a hacker, more, but she'd be the type who's pretty useless in a situation which doesn't involve computers so she could work quite well on the sidelines. Might go with that, if there are no objections.
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Apr 29 2013, 09:29 PM
Post #44

Ancient
Group Icon

Whatever you want, dude.

I have to re-start my character profile since my computer decided to shut down and update and NOT save the file I had the CS on...

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 29 2013, 09:34 PM
Post #45

Councilor
Group Icon

Removed...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Jul 9 2013, 09:31 PM
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post May 1 2013, 11:15 AM
Post #46

Master
Group Icon

Actually, after some thinking, I reckon I'll stick to pure GMing. It'll be easier for me, and RPing stuff when I know what's coming isn't actually all that fun.

I have, however, had an idea for a post order of sorts that I quite like, and I figure I'd run it by you guys. I'm basing this off the system of tabletop RPGs, and it's one that I'd apply in combat situations and any other scenarios where it might be necessary. In essence, it's a pseudo-turn-based system wherein each player posts up one action that their character does in combat (shoots at a bad guy, throws a flashbang grenade, tries to hack an automated gun turret).

Once all of the players have posted up their character's action (or a reasonable timeframe has passed and I don't want everyone to wait around) I post up the consequences of their actions (the goon gets grazed by the bullet and ducks down behind cover, the grenade detonates and blinds a room full of enemies, the turret's firewalls detect the intrusion and alarms start blaring) in my GM post, and then order resets once more; the players post their next actions, I post the consequences and reactions, and so and so forth until the situation is resolved. In keeping with the RPG tradition each 'turn' would occupy a timeframe of about six seconds, in order to keep things moving at a reasonable pace.

Your thoughts?
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post May 1 2013, 12:22 PM
Post #47

Master
Group Icon

Alright, part 3 of the world guide is up. Hopefully that should mean all the key detail is covered, but if there's anything that you're still curious about feel free to ask me a question and I'll answer it the best I can.

This post has been edited by Colonel Mustard: May 1 2013, 12:23 PM
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 1 2013, 01:31 PM
Post #48

Councilor
Group Icon

*Thinks about what is possible in six seconds...*...

*Rubs hands with glee*... biggrin.gif ...

Yeah, I like that idea...Plus, with it being turn-based, the chances of us tripping over each other during combat is gone...

goodjob.gif ...Good idea...

I can see what you mean about the character thing, but Uleni was part of the Sutch one with that Ylenno, wasn't he?...You can still hang out with us playas... biggrin.gif ...

Loved the whole newest part of the world...Excellent stuff...

Absolutely loved the idea of the Cloud Cowboys...Means even Read (the A.I.) isn't safe... biggrin.gif ...Oh, actually...*Worried unsure.gif *...

OOooh, that reminds me...Is the smartbyote mandatory? It's just I've got Gabriel's comm thing in roughly the area you have the -byote...I don't mind, I was just thinking that any web searching would be done by Read and sent to Gabriel's wrist thingy if it's important...One less distraction for the assassin about town and all that... biggrin.gif ...

I'm intrigued to see how you use the memetics in the story... biggrin.gif ...Another amazing idea...*Applauds*...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: May 1 2013, 01:34 PM
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post May 1 2013, 04:37 PM
Post #49

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ May 1 2013, 01:31 PM) *

I can see what you mean about the character thing, but Uleni was part of the Sutch one with that Ylenno, wasn't he?...You can still hang out with us playas... biggrin.gif ...

<snip>

OOooh, that reminds me...Is the smartbyote mandatory? It's just I've got Gabriel's comm thing in roughly the area you have the -byote...I don't mind, I was just thinking that any web searching would be done by Read and sent to Gabriel's wrist thingy if it's important...One less distraction for the assassin about town and all that... biggrin.gif ...

I'm intrigued to see how you use the memetics in the story... biggrin.gif ...Another amazing idea...*Applauds*...

Tru dat, but as Uleni and I had shifts and so forth, it wasn't so difficult as generally we'd alternate between DMing and RPing.

A smartbyote isn't mandatory, but they're about as common in 2090s Vegas as mobile phones are in modern Vegas. Plus it's worth noting that the Smartbyote can be configured to switch between 'civvy' mode and 'tactical' mode, where things like ammunition readouts, IFF markers and miniature GPS maps can be displayed on his vision to help him out in combat, like the HUD you get in most FPS games.

As for the Memetics, well, that would be spoiling things.

This post has been edited by Colonel Mustard: May 1 2013, 04:38 PM
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post May 1 2013, 09:29 PM
Post #50

Master
Group Icon

I have no problems with the short round system. It should keep wonky timebending to a minimum. I've seen a few fight scenes that ended in epic duels, while everyone else was forced to go with "Well, Bob attacked Ted and they wrecked half the city, and Susie really wanted to stop them, but didn't get the chance. It was all over by the time she'd drawn her sword, somehow. All three hours of non-stop combat." biggrin.gif

Oh, and I'm going to stick with my old-time phone. I can just say that George's malformed skull would mean he needed a custom fit for his byote and he's a tad touchy about opening up his coffin. I mean, he smells and is horrible to look at in ways simple storeclerks aren't trained to handle.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post May 1 2013, 09:37 PM
Post #51

Ancient
Group Icon

You'd be surprised at what we can handle XD
I mean...Speedos. nuff said.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post May 1 2013, 09:38 PM
Post #52

Master
Group Icon

Would it be possible if my character's glitch on his cybernetic arm could be wired to a Meme? Reading the third entry of the world, I just had that crazy idea! lol

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post May 1 2013, 09:52 PM
Post #53

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ May 1 2013, 09:38 PM) *
Would it be possible if my character's glitch on his cybernetic arm could be wired to a Meme? Reading the third entry of the world, I just had that crazy idea! lol

Having one living in there would be a bit of a stretch (they're literally made of internet, after all) but having one just randomly take over at intervals '4 teh lulz' would be kind of hilarious and pretty fitting with the character of most Memetics.

So are we all good with the turn system, then?
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post May 1 2013, 10:00 PM
Post #54

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ May 2 2013, 05:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ May 1 2013, 09:38 PM) *

Having one living in there would be a bit of a stretch (they're literally made of internet, after all) but having one just randomly take over at intervals '4 teh lulz' would be kind of hilarious and pretty fitting with the character of most Memetics.

So are we all good with the turn system, then?

I'm sure you- errr, the Meme would have fun messing around, particularly on serious and grave situations. tongue.gif

And yeah, the turn system seems fine. At least now combat wouldn't be so one sided on our part.

This post has been edited by Uleni Athram: May 1 2013, 10:01 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 2 2013, 06:33 AM
Post #55

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ May 1 2013, 09:37 PM) *

You'd be surprised at what we can handle XD
I mean...Speedos. nuff said.

Oh well, at least they give you training for dealing with suspicious packages... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post May 3 2013, 08:36 PM
Post #56

Master
Group Icon

See, and that's why I don't work in retail. tongue.gif

So, how is everyone's character coming along?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post May 3 2013, 11:12 PM
Post #57

Ancient
Group Icon

I...completely forgot to remake mine. O had mine halfway done and my computer restarted and didn't save.

Sigh.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 4 2013, 04:04 AM
Post #58

Councilor
Group Icon

You bad girl! You go to prisonnn... tongue.gif ...

I think I'm done... biggrin.gif ...

I also suspect that I will get my arse handed to me in terms RP-ing...As I have no idea what I'm doing... laugh.gif ..

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post May 4 2013, 11:27 AM
Post #59

Master
Group Icon

If your computer is unstable, how about building your character up in pieces right here in the thread? You could just post up the initial framework and then edit the post to add bits.

Or was it a forced windows update? I hate when those happen. Always when I'm working on something important. dry.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post May 4 2013, 03:03 PM
Post #60

Master
Group Icon

Still hammering..... *clang clang, Uleni curses as the unrefined RP character shoots ricochetting revolver rounds at him*

the finer details of my character.

--------------------
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:42 AM