8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Neverwinter Nights, Another Classic RPG series
Lopov
post Aug 21 2014, 07:42 PM
Post #21

Master
Group Icon

Beautiful shots, I like the one with the pigs the most.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 21 2014, 09:25 PM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Aug 21 2014, 11:23 AM) *

I saw these on your other thread, but note here that you've added the monster katana! Maybe she needs a light saber? Or perhaps a pet shark with freakin' laser beams coming out of its head (that shark bit is a SubRosa quote from somewhere). laugh.gif

Sharks With Fricken Laser Beams! laugh.gif

QUOTE(mirocu @ Aug 21 2014, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Acadian @ Aug 21 2014, 05:23 PM) *

I saw these on your other thread, but note here that you've added the monster katana! Maybe she needs a light saber? Or perhaps a pet shark with freakin' laser beams coming out of its head (that shark bit is a SubRosa quote from somewhere). laugh.gif

Sounds like Star Wars and AVGN to me... laugh.gif

Alien Versus Geriatric Nurses?

QUOTE(Lopov @ Aug 21 2014, 02:42 PM) *

Beautiful shots, I like the one with the pigs the most.

As Winston Churchill said: "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 21 2014, 09:25 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Aug 22 2014, 06:13 AM
Post #23

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 16 2014, 11:58 AM) *

toon

I HEARD THAT! nono.gif
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 22 2014, 02:53 PM
Post #24

Paladin
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Aug 21 2014, 10:13 PM) *

toon

I HEARD THAT! nono.gif

Well, she's gotta tape up her monitor, grind up some skilz, get all immersed and beat the game! laugh.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 22 2014, 05:03 PM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Aug 22 2014, 01:13 AM) *

toon

I HEARD THAT! nono.gif

I had hoped that invoking the T-Word might lure you back! wub.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 23 2014, 03:02 AM
Post #26

Ancient
Group Icon

I am having fun playing a paladin. You do not get the same amount of Feats as the straight Fighters, so lag behind a bit on the score, especially Cleave/Great Cleave which Sephiroth has not been able to take yet. But the extra perks make up for it, especially in the coolness factor. One of the early bonus class Feats allows you to add your Charisma bonus to all saving throws. Likewise the Smite Evil power allows you to add your Charisma bonus to your attack roll. The Lay On Hands lets you heal your Charisma bonus x your level in points. I created Sephiroth with an 18 Charisma, so I am getting the most of it. Ooops, I created her with a 17 Charisma, but she wears a cloak that gives her a +1 to Charisma, raising it to 18.

Being immune to disease is nice too, as is being able to cure it. It seems whenever you fight undead in this game, you get diseased, over and over again. I went through about 8 Healing Kits in the Graveyard just curing diseases before getting the Cure Disease power.

The Turning Undead has been great too. It really works! In BG turning usually made some of them run away. Meaning I would just have to chase after them to kill them. But in NWN2 I am killing skeletons outright when I turn. The ones not smited freeze in their tracks, which is really nice. They cannot attack unless you get next to them, and you don't have to chase after them. It is the best of both worlds.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 23 2014, 11:13 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 23 2014, 04:04 AM
Post #27

Paladin
Group Icon

Yay for Paladins! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 23 2014, 11:11 PM
Post #28

Ancient
Group Icon

Turning the Undead

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 23 2014, 11:34 PM
Post #29

Paladin
Group Icon

What a great shot. Nice capture of the effect and Seph looks great (still liking her armor/tabard alot).

I agree that in BG, turning undead was not that necessary - but it was fun! And only clerics really had the juice to do it at higher levels. Happily, BG II provided paladin kits - my fave was the inquisitor - he was focused on the biggest threat in the game - enemy mages. With four spells, you can bust up any shields or mischief that an enemy mage can throw at you - and the inquisitor could cast two of them (true sight and dispel magic) as special powers. For those awesome powers, he had forsaken turning undead and laying on of hands.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Aug 24 2014, 03:46 PM
Post #30

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 24 2014, 12:11 AM) *

Sweet pixie! biggrin.gif

By golly (sorry for stealing your catchphrase, Acadian), if I only had more time IŽd get this game!

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 24 2014, 04:29 PM
Post #31

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Aug 24 2014, 10:46 AM) *

Sweet pixie! biggrin.gif

By golly (sorry for stealing your catchphrase, Acadian), if I only had more time IŽd get this game!

But then you would have to create a new character! laugh.gif

Or perhaps Lothran could make the journey to the Sword Coast?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Aug 24 2014, 05:10 PM
Post #32

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 24 2014, 05:29 PM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Aug 24 2014, 10:46 AM) *

Sweet pixie! biggrin.gif

But then you would have to create a new character! laugh.gif

Or perhaps Lothran could make the journey to the Sword Coast?

It would be a new game entirely and then creating one is ok biggrin.gif

Maybe Lothran would make an appearance there. I think heŽd fit in quite nicely happy.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Lopov
post Aug 24 2014, 10:05 PM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

That's indeed one great shot of Turning Undead. Which reminds me when I played BG for the 1st time, my English wasn't good back then, I was 12 or 13 years old, and I thought that Turning Undead means that they'll literally turn around. laugh.gif That's why I never used it because what's the point if they'd just "turn around".

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 24 2014, 11:01 PM
Post #34

Ancient
Group Icon

Some pics of today's gaming:

Here is how I normally play the game

Sephiroth's Druid Companion Elanee's animal companion is now a Deinonychus

Of course Elanee can still summon a Dire Wolf

In the thick of it

Here is a current pic of the team

A bad day to be a bad guy

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Aug 25 2014, 04:18 PM
Post #35

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Yet another series of amazing pics! biggrin.gif

I really like all the colours smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 25 2014, 10:45 PM
Post #36

Paladin
Group Icon

In addition to my comments on your other thread, whut he sed:

QUOTE(mirocu @ Aug 25 2014, 08:18 AM) *

Yet another series of amazing pics! biggrin.gif

I really like all the colours smile.gif

tongue.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Aug 26 2014, 03:14 PM
Post #37

Master
Group Icon

The Dire Wolf shot is my favorite, it has some special energy and the wolf just looks stunning.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Sep 15 2014, 12:04 PM
Post #38

Finder
Group Icon

I was just released from the hospital after suffering from a seizure brought on by SubRosa's flagrant and excessive vocabulary abuse. But my heart condition has stabilized now. I just need to avoid reading dumb words on the internet, my doctor tells me. He tells me that reading gaming forums on a daily basis shortens a person's lifespan by five to ten years. He has the People Magazine article to prove it, too. "The hell with that," I tell him, "I've got the constitution of an ox. My Grandfather read five gaming forums a day and he lived to be almost thirty."

Well, anyway, cerebral hypoperfusion prevented me from properly replying last time. Neverwinter Nights 1 holds a special place in my affections. It's the game that showed me what roleplaying was all about.

After I beat the game with my first toon after I finished the game with my first character I made a second character, a peasant girl who idolized Aribeth. She became a Paladin and wielded a Bastard Sword because that's what her idol did. She even saved up to buy a ring that once belonged to Aribeth. That was my first-ever roleplaying character.

I'm not fond of NWN2 though. Obsidian forces a primitive "good" or "evil" choice on us before they'll allow us into Blacklake. Alas, because I roleplay with a modicum of sophistication almost none of my characters fit into Obsidian's rigidly Manichean worldview. Most of my characters won't work for The Man but they don't want to involve themselves in extortion either. So that's the end of that. I've tried to play the game twice and I am forced to stop at exactly the same point in the story both times. I've never gotten out of Act I.

I am not a fan of Obsidian.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 15 2014, 02:32 PM
Post #39

Ancient
Group Icon

Glad to hear your brain is feeling a little better. I think the best medicine is more exposure. It is like what George Carlin says about people using antibacterial this and that. By never exposing ourselves to bacteria, our bodies have lost our natural resistance to them, so we just get even sicker when that 1% of germs gets through our soap. When I was a kid, we never worried about washing our hands or swimming in the lake. And I turned out just fine! *cough, cough, cough...*

I am still slogging through NWN2. But I find I liked NWN1 better as well, though for different reasons. I don't mind the choice to become a lawman or a criminal so much, especially as I am playing a paladin. But it would be nice to have a third, less polarized choice.

What bothers me most about NWN2 is the way companions are forced upon you. In the first game they would just hang around inside one of the main buildings, and you could go over and talk to them at your leisure. You could recruit whoever you liked, and ignore anyone you didn't. But in NWN2 the game forces every companion into your party, and you literally cannot get rid of them until you have gone through the next part of the game.

It really rankled me with Bishop, who I cannot stand. He isn't Chaotic Evil, he's Chaotic Annoying. I literally used a cheat code to remove him from the game. That came back at me later though, as I got stuck at a point where there was a cutscene with him, and since he wasn't there anymore, it wouldn't start, and I couldn't continue. So I had to cheat code him back into the game. The really pathetic thing is that he didn't contribute anything at all to the plot. So why the F did you force him on me Obsidian?

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 15 2014, 02:33 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Sep 16 2014, 10:42 AM
Post #40

Finder
Group Icon

Another person who likes George Carlin. You are a winner!

I was on an Obsidian rampage yesterday. I wrote a post on the official forums suggesting that Obsidian was over-rated. My email notifications tell me that I got four replies within the next hour. That must be some kind of personal best for me. Pissing off four people in one hour is no small achievement. I haven't had the nerve to read them. I imagine they're full of slander against my ancestry, references to my personal grooming habits and sly insinuations about my sexual orientation.

Despite my catty attitude, I actually think Obsidian is a good developer. I really do think they do quality work. It's just that their game design philosophy is not one that I am comfortable with. They seem to be all about control. It seems to me that they specialize in controlling the player's experience. I like freedom. I like to go off in my own directions. I just don't think I'll ever feel completely comfortable with an Obsidian game, as good as they are.

Well, shoot. This thread is making me want to re-install Neverwinter Night 1 now. Thanks a lot, Subbie. I need this like I need another cerebral hypoperfusion. I have, like, six or seven games I've bought off of Steam that I haven't gotten around to playing yet. *...facpalm...*

This post has been edited by Pseron Wyrd: Sep 16 2014, 04:10 PM
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:22 PM