8 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Khajiit Hearthfire, Possible mod
Grits
post Nov 1 2015, 09:37 PM
Post #101

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh wow, that work table looks awesome with the wheels on it. Woo! Got 0.3 and will start Mojo fresh as soon as I figure out where I put Shuvesse. embarrased.gif

I think the harness trees going on last would be a good cue that the wagon is finished. Otherwise if I’m reading correctly a player could hitch up and ride off without building the canopy, only to find upon return to the restored house that the option is gone? As excited as I was to drive the wagon, I can see that mistake happening.

I think a tapering thug schedule would be good. That would keep them unpredictable and prevent them from becoming a nuisance. I can see some non-combatant merchant/crafter types having a struggle with them, which is good as long as it’s not too often. I’m thinking of the times I level up in bursts while using up a big ingredient stash.

I’m glad you mentioned the general goods idea. I was saving that for after you got the canopy working. biggrin.gif Yes, I think it’s an excellent idea to have some crates or things in the wagon bed so that it looks like you’re unloading for the bedroll and then packing up again to resume the journey. I love being able to store things in the wagon with the Cargo menu option, and the visual would bring that to life.

I really enjoy finding a spot to camp near the road. I kept using the two step get down and then unhitch rather than Panic! just to give ceremony to parking for the night. I’m already curious where those Cyrodiil people have hidden Wilf’s tools this time. smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 2 2015, 03:46 AM
Post #102

Councilor
Group Icon

The changed build order is done. It will be in the 0.4, which at present, won't need a restart. All that changed are: the recipes, the last three of which now have different conditions to determine which requires which other piece first; and the part-built statics, (which just needed parts deleted from the full mesh).

The thug quest change is just the Story Manager conditions, which aren't in the save. That's just a question of getting the math right for a suitable decline in the chance of sending them. I don't want it to go away completely, so something level-inverse should work. Zero chance at infinite level, but not before.

The goods in the back will depend on my finding an existing behavior graph for four "plays" - the Vaermina statue gave me the two, as well as the secret name of the transparency parameter ("12"). But that only had two settings to switch between. If there are going to be two parts of the wagon to turn on and off, I need two pairs of animations in one mesh to clone from. This could remain on the wish list after release.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 3 2015, 03:37 PM
Post #103

Councilor
Group Icon

It's possible that the Behavior Graph named GenericBehavors\IdleStartIdleBack.hkx already does what I need, and the Vaermina statue door I stole it from just doesn't use two of the animations available. If that's really true, than I have the other two I need.

I can't provide goods that represent the content, it will just have to be a fixed quantity of clutter, (barrels, crates, sacks, maybe a chest - all containers that hide their content) that implies "stuff". I won't use anything that could be an inventory item, so folks won't try to "take" it. Players are used to empty containers, so a logically empty wagon full of empty containers should make sense.

So I just need a bit of feedback on when the goods in the wagon should show and hide. The "Sleep" option should hide them, so "Hitch" would re-show, but I'm thinking that it should also depend on the contents/empty state of the container. That way the wagon starts without any, and gets it as soon as you deposit something, (assuming I can catch that event).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 3 2015, 03:56 PM
Post #104

Councilor
Group Icon

Whoa, that sounds promising! smile.gif

A fixed quantity of containers that look the same empty or full was exactly what I was hoping for. Sort of the stuff that holds your stuff.

I’d be perfectly happy with an empty Cargo still showing the containers, since I would need them to be there before I started loading them up with loose items. If the containers don’t show up until the first thing is added to Cargo that would be great, too. Either way works equally for me. I can’t think of a reason to want a permanently empty wagon bed, but I’m sure someone will.

This is exciting!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 3 2015, 04:07 PM
Post #105

Councilor
Group Icon

There are two reasons I was thinking about empty cargo = empty wagon. One is that it's the initial state when you build it, and I don't want an extra build item of "containers" (and that would mean property changes and a full restart for you as well).

The other is that it provides a simple indication of empty. Regular containers have an "empty" label, so you don't bother opening them, and this would do the same for the wagon. Nothing in the back = nothing in the cargo. Swapping goods for bedroll doesn't hurt that, I think.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 3 2015, 04:47 PM
Post #106

Councilor
Group Icon

Aha. Yep, those are two very good reasons. biggrin.gif

Mojo is about to release the dragons and then start his wagon. He's getting the groundwork done before activating KH. In case of re-start he'll be completely wagon-ready this time.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 4 2015, 04:35 AM
Post #107

Councilor
Group Icon

Progress screenshot

This is what the cargo will look like, if I can get the show/hide to work.

Edit: Well the bad news is that I can't, at least not the way I wanted. I'm limited to the one pair of visibility settings, although I can switch any number of pieces at the same time.

What I'll have to do is make the goods and canopy alternates, so showing one hides the other. That in turn means that the canopy needs to be up when the bedroll is in place, to get the goods out of the way. That's the sensible configuration anyway, so no big deal.

Also, since the canopy is installed during the build sequence, the wagon starts empty because it has the canopy showing, and you can't use the menu until it's complete.

So the "Sleep" option will be made conditional on the canopy showing. The emptiness of the cargo container will have no effect, but that just implies you're carrying an empty barrel, crate, sack and pouch.

Making all the edits in NifSkope is a laborious grind, but I should have a new release at the weekend. One other thing I want to fix is making sure the horse remains hitched if you reload from a save. I need to add a script to the player alias in a quest to do that, and I don't want that to mean restarting the character to test it.

Second Edit:Combining the opposite-direction fades has worked, and after a small change to get the on/off settings of the canopy the right way round, the bedroll can now only be deployed when the canopy is up.

Cat Man Dhou will be giving it all a test, including the new build order, as soon as he's rounded up the tools, then I'll post a new beta.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Nov 6 2015, 02:48 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 6 2015, 07:07 PM
Post #108

Councilor
Group Icon

Cargo looks great! Having the canopy plus bedroll swap with it makes sense. Very exciting to see this come together.

Quick check on what should have happened in 0.3. Mojo has built his wagon but didn’t get the canopy option. I can’t remember if that’s new for 0.4, sorry. He went to Broken Oar Grotto and Orotheim for the last two tools. Broken Oar would have been nasty, but Khajiit just sneaked in and got what he wanted.

I have a gazillion saves of the process including before I installed KH 0.3 in case I need to check anything.

EDIT: I am an idiot. Did not actually install 0.3. Be back soon. panic.gif

Cat Man Dhou, nice! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Grits: Nov 6 2015, 07:23 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 6 2015, 10:17 PM
Post #109

Councilor
Group Icon

Cat Man Dhou remarked that there were none of the "things only a wainwright would find useful" in the chest. Just the journal. Any idea what to add? Apart from the spokeshave, only the springs are new. The canopy takes Linen Wraps, but other mods have used those (including my Alik'r Heavy).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 7 2015, 01:21 AM
Post #110

Councilor
Group Icon

Hmm, chassis lube, axle grease, cotter pins? Could that stuff look like troll fat and lockpicks? The grease could be in a bucket. I’d definitely add the first leather strip to make the tanning rack, and putting one spring in the chest would be neat without providing too much stuff. Also a corundum ore or two would help the budding wainwright who forgot to bring enough corundum and steel ingots. hehe.gif

Here’s a last minute idea for the wainwright’s bench. How about adding a wood chopping block with the tanning rack? You don’t specifically need it to build the wagon, but once the shop becomes a crafting base it would be great to be able to chop wood for arrows right on the site. Having it appear early sort of says “Here’s where I split some wood to make stuff.” Utility and atmosphere! laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 7 2015, 02:29 AM
Post #111

Councilor
Group Icon

Hold that axle grease idea. Perhaps a recipe for it, and you can make it at the alchemy lab once the house is made?

Spring, linen wrap and leather strip added so far. Recipe when I figure out the ingredients.

I agree about the chopping block, and linking it to the tanning rack works for me. You'd have used it to make the rack, perhaps.

Edit: My latest test character found the tongs at Valtheim on the way to get the saw from Treva's Watch and I found that the out-of-sequence logic is broken. I also forgot to disable the wagon with canopy but no harness trees at the end of the build sequence. More work to do.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Nov 7 2015, 11:31 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 8 2015, 04:53 AM
Post #112

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 17 2015, 09:00 PM) *

Major breakthroughs today!

I'd been having a problem with starting the quest that rebuilds the wainwright's house. The Story Manager log said that it passed on the event, but the kicker quest that checks all the conditions wasn't running. It had a debug.trace statement at the start, so I could confirm it got there.

Today I discovered that was the cause of the problem. Removing the trace attempt lets it work as intended!

So now Jo'Bashi has a workshop to go back to.

Exterior
Interior
Looking left
and right

The other big one was placing the bedroll in the back of the wagon. A bedroll can't be moved, so I ended up moving an X-Marker to the right place and creating a bedroll at the same location each time. The marker gets recycled in and out of a holding cell, but the bedroll is deleted when you hitch the horse.

Bedroll in place at last (and usable)!

I still have to add the canopy option, and create the hired thugs quest, but what's there is testable if anyone wants to try it.

One known gotcha: If you read the letter that rebuilds the house before you made all the crafting stations, you can't reach the workbench to do so. Make the smelter, grindstone and tanning rack before you read it!

Oh, I love the littlle farmhouse cottage! The interior is just perfect! The bedroll looks great in the back of the wagon!

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 20 2015, 06:32 AM) *

The chimney turned out to be trivial to fix, because the third variant of the mesh (another destroyed one with a bit of roof) had an almost intact chimney that I could copy across in NifSkope. So now the rebuild one is complete.

The crafting stations inside are looking good too. The table fits that space well,

It is really getting exciting now! Is this finishing touches?

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 8 2015, 05:12 AM
Post #113

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 7 2015, 10:53 PM) *

Almost. I have a couple of problems still to fix.

I think I just got all the stages re-organized for the tool-finding quest. Previously it would break if you found something out of sequence. I have to test it before I trust it.

The other quirk is that the chopping block I just added is unusable, and I can't see why. The animation ends prematurely after placing the log on the block. I deleted it again, and will revisit that addition after testing the tool sequence.

The other "finishing touch" will be a re-texture of the canopy. It looks sub-standard right now.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 8 2015, 06:01 AM
Post #114

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Nov 1 2015, 02:36 PM) *

I believe I have a functionally complete version now.

Download here Version 0.3

The texture for the canopy is in need of replacement, but that can be done without restarting a game, so this one should be the last that needs that. Unless it's broken somewhere I haven't noticed. You should be able to make a canopy, and it should toggle on and off via the menu. You can do that at any time, even when you're driving, as you may need the extra visibility.

There's a spider in the house, too!

The wagon is always empty, to make room for the bedroll when needed. It might be possible to have "general goods" in there when the bedroll isn't. Not having seats avoids any scripting for the follower to ride, so that stays the way it is. Do you prefer the wagon empty, or does it need something in it?

I didn't see the spider, lol.

Oh - on the wagon = I think I'd prefer to see some goods in the wagon if given a choice; maybe they could appear beside the wagon when the bedroll is enabled; kind of like the character pulled them out to sleep/set the bedroll in the wagon? Or if nothing else, some straw = and that could remain under the bedroll when it is enabled without being moved (like the goods would need done).

If you stop to sleep along the road, can the player be attacked by beasts or bandits while sleeping in the back of the wagon? (like find out the hard way you stopped near a spawn point, laugh.gif )

QUOTE(Grits @ Oct 23 2015, 04:39 PM) *

Funny thing. He parked rather carelessly in the middle of the road to sleep for the night, and when he woke up he was surrounded by a Khajiit caravan! biggrin.gif So he travelled with them briefly but passed as soon as he found a wide spot in the road. The horse walks faster than the cats.

This is Awesome !!!!

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 24 2015, 11:00 AM) *

Just a quick teaser image in case things start going backwards. The model was the hard part, so it should get done soon.

OMG, I LOVE it !!!!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 8 2015, 06:46 AM
Post #115

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 31 2015, 08:50 PM) *

I took a break in the middle of it all to make this. It was a bit tedious adding the wood back where I ripped the iron tire off, but at least I knew it would work. Next time I get stuck, I'll make a spider - i.e. just the hub and spokes.

Edit: Found it!! I had a bad NiBlendFloatInterpolater with everything zeroed out. That's not to say it's working exactly the way I wanted yet, but it's a lot closer. I still have to adjust the fade timings, but the canopy does now appear and disappear on demand. The texture needs work, and the mesh needs a few vertices moved, and seams creased, and a few strings added, and ...

I saw that wheel halfway done on the workbench earlier, didn't I? It looks very cool!

WOO HOO, I knew you'd figure it out! That is Awesome!

QUOTE(ghastley @ Nov 3 2015, 09:37 AM) *

So I just need a bit of feedback on when the goods in the wagon should show and hide. The "Sleep" option should hide them, so "Hitch" would re-show, but I'm thinking that it should also depend on the contents/empty state of the container. That way the wagon starts without any, and gets it as soon as you deposit something, (assuming I can catch that event).

That sounds exciting! Are these items "activate-able?" If so, maybe the player could place in them junk/zero value items as if taking them to sell; so when the crates (etc) reset to empty state it would be like they sod them along the way?

I'm so excited how far you've come with this mod!

QUOTE(ghastley @ Nov 3 2015, 10:35 PM) *

Progress screenshot

This is what the cargo will look like, if I can get the show/hide to work.

Cat Man Dhou will be giving it all a test, including the new build order, as soon as he's rounded up the tools, then I'll post a new beta.

That looks great!

Cat Man Dhou = Bwaahaa!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 8 2015, 07:03 AM
Post #116

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Nov 7 2015, 11:12 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 7 2015, 10:53 PM) *

Almost. I have a couple of problems still to fix.

I think I just got all the stages re-organized for the tool-finding quest. Previously it would break if you found something out of sequence. I have to test it before I trust it.

The other quirk is that the chopping block I just added is unusable, and I can't see why. The animation ends prematurely after placing the log on the block. I deleted it again, and will revisit that addition after testing the tool sequence.

The other "finishing touch" will be a re-texture of the canopy. It looks sub-standard right now.

Stroti has a canvas texture that is closer to beige than white; but it might work well for the canopy. It is either in his Oblivion mill or market stands - can't remember which. Mr_Siika might have a good canvas in his Oblivion market stands as well. I've used both of their Oblivion canvas textures in Skyrim with no issues (and both are more than happy to share their textures for other's mods).

(If you were searching for existing textures)

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 9 2015, 01:51 AM
Post #117

Councilor
Group Icon

I just took a re-rolled Cat Man Dhou through a deliberately out-of-order collection of the tools, and it worked as intended. I placed another wood-chopping block and it worked as expected. I have no idea what borked the first one.

I'm going to package up 0.4 without an enhanced canopy texture, as it will probably take less time if it's not rushed.

The main thing I need to do for the canopy is the creases and folds where it ties down, and a seamed edge. That takes another layer over the base canvas, and also goes into the normal map. Neither are something I can get from the 'net. I just have to paint it all in.

Edit: Here it is Version 0.4. This will need a restart if the wagon wasn't completed under 0.3, as the property array for the build did need changing. I'll be sending a few more characters through deliberate out-of-order tool gathering to make sure all the stages are set up correctly. I have most of the location codes mapped to names now, so I can use SQV to see where the unprompted tools are hidden.

I'll be adding to the notes in the doc to explain how the search works and why you may not get all the objectives shown. I opted not to add, and complete immediately, if you found one prematurely. The doc will updated on my web site before it's copied into the download.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Nov 9 2015, 06:37 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 9 2015, 07:00 PM
Post #118

Councilor
Group Icon

Awesome, got it. Thank you! Mojo 0.4 is about to find out where the first tool is hiding.

I love the idea of a wainwright’s recipe in the chest. It gives meaning to the alchemy bench that will appear in the finished shop without requiring that the prospective wainwright actually take up alchemy. cool.gif

edit: Winter War --> Stoney Creek Cave

This post has been edited by Grits: Nov 9 2015, 07:47 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 11 2015, 10:55 PM
Post #119

Councilor
Group Icon

Two unrelated things:

It can't be a recipe for Alchemy, as the built-in mechanisms allow any such ingredient to be eaten, and it has to have an effect on the player. Lubricating the player may be beneficial in some instances, but that's not what this mod is about. However, the generic crafting mechanism could be applied to a wainwright-specific device, much like the Dragonborn DLC added the imbuing chamber to make spider scrolls. All components and result can be misc items.

There may be a problem with the thugs. My dark elf's third wave were non-hostile, and just followed her like sheep. Two of them were killed by bears and bandits along the road, and the third finally attacked her, although I didn't determine what woke her up. Their packages are Bethesda-supplied ones, and the only change my clones of the quests make are the references to each other, the contract, and the starting conditions. Since they got enabled, they should have been made aggressive at the same time.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 12 2015, 02:16 AM
Post #120

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Nov 11 2015, 04:55 PM) *

Two unrelated things:

It can't be a recipe for Alchemy, as the built-in mechanisms allow any such ingredient to be eaten, and it has to have an effect on the player. Lubricating the player may be beneficial in some instances, but that's not what this mod is about. However, the generic crafting mechanism could be applied to a wainwright-specific device, much like the Dragonborn DLC added the imbuing chamber to make spider scrolls. All components and result can be misc items.

There may be a problem with the thugs. My dark elf's third wave were non-hostile, and just followed her like sheep. Two of them were killed by bears and bandits along the road, and the third finally attacked her, although I didn't determine what woke her up. Their packages are Bethesda-supplied ones, and the only change my clones of the quests make are the references to each other, the contract, and the starting conditions. Since they got enabled, they should have been made aggressive at the same time.

laugh.gif I wonder if your character has a high personality or charisma? Whenever Maxical (or Misa) has had a high personality; bandits and assassins would show up but not attack, just hang around her. It has happened in Oblivion; Skyrim; and Fallout 3 when Lug Nut is supposed to attack you for the Naughty Nightie. In Oblivion Maxical couldn't get the Mythic Dawn Sleepers to attack her, and was able to hang out in Rock Milk Cave with the bandits and be treated friendly by them all. They were "honored she chose to spend her time with them!" rollinglaugh.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 12 2015, 02:18 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:10 AM