57 Pages V « < 51 52 53 54 55 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jerric's Story, A Nord's Adventures in Cyrodiil
mALX
post Aug 21 2016, 12:33 PM
Post #1041

Ancient
Group Icon

Chapter 17: Bruma, Part Nine - I think the Bruma Fighters Guild is about to develop a whole new respect for Jerric. He has experience with these gates - boy, it seems like forever since he has had to use that experience though! I remember him coming back to Anvil a shell of the man he started out being in his story; and Darnand having to bring him back from that awful place! He has sure come a long way in his story!

Awesome Write!

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 21 2016, 01:05 PM
Post #1042

Ancient
Group Icon

Chapter 17: Bruma, Part Ten - GAAAAAAH !!!! What in the holy hell is this? Is it how Jerric goes to Skyrim or something? Urk, this is freaky!!!! Can't wait to find out what is going on! Awesome Write !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 21 2016, 01:26 PM
Post #1043

Ancient
Group Icon

Chapter 17: Bruma, Part Eleven - HOLY CRAP !!!! This is the most AWESOME world building - What the living hell is going on in that gate? Holy Crap !!!!

*mALX's head explodes*

AWESOME, AWESOME Write !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Nov 20 2016, 08:36 PM
Post #1044

Paladin
Group Icon

Just wanted to bump this magnificent story to wish dear Jerric a happy birthday!

IPB Image

Buffy’s always been drawn to the furry funny Nord. Perhaps it is the fact that, between Lil and Abiene she knows he is unavailable - and the little elf tends to want what she cannot have. Perhaps it is that he is everything she is not – big, strong, brave, can lift heavy objects and break things. Perhaps it is because he and she both bear the title of Blonde. Or perhaps it is the treasured toe-ring of resist frost that he gifted to her and she never removes.

Regardless, happy birthday to the big Nord! wub.gif

Buffy has a massive collection of worms, guts and other things that she understand fishermen use as bait. It is safely preserved with frost salts awaiting his arrival to ESO’s PC North America server.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 21 2016, 03:07 PM
Post #1045

Ancient
Group Icon

cake.gif Happy Birthday Jerric! cake.gif

(two cakes, knowing Jerric's appetite, lol.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 21 2016, 03:16 PM
Post #1046

Councilor
Group Icon

Something tells me two cakes will take a lot of mead to wash it down, too.

Merry Birthday! (Hic!) tongue.gif

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 22 2016, 03:59 AM
Post #1047

Councilor
Group Icon

Aw, thanks everyone. cake.gif and IPB Imageall around! It means so much that you have stuck with us through this story's many long silences. wub.gif

Acadian, Buffy's kindness warms a Nord's heart. His petite fellow blonde has always held a fascination for him. Even as he respects and admires her dragon spirit, her butterfly fragility makes him want to get his shield between her and danger. (Perhaps this is why he gets shot in the back so much.) How sweet and generous that Buffy is collecting and preserving bait for Jerric! When he gets there he is going to catch and cook so many fish, the cookfire smoke will make folks think an anchor has dropped. Beach party!!

Jerric found himself in Malabal Tor with Ulfe and Flash on his birthday, where he stumbled upon this spot. After thoroughly checking the falls for naked, frolicking wood elves and alas finding none, he knew exactly how he was going to celebrate: Plan B. biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Nov 22 2016, 04:30 AM
Post #1048

Paladin
Group Icon

'This spot' - Wow, Jerric's biceps are bigger than Buffy's waist!

'Plan B' - Aww, so glad Jerric got some fishing in today! happy.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 22 2016, 05:22 AM
Post #1049

Ancient
Group Icon

I just love Jerric's outfit!

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Nov 22 2016, 06:44 AM
Post #1050

Master
Group Icon

Plan B - laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Happy Birthday to Jerric! This is actually from my Skyrim character Alise. who has not yet arrived in ESO. If you may recall, she is married to Argis wub.gif wub.gif so Jerric holds a special spot in her heart for being so much like her hubby!

--------------------
+Quote Post
kafn8ed
post Sep 8 2018, 05:02 AM
Post #1051

Associate

So what happens? Can't leave Jerric stuck in that gate! It's been 2 1/2 years! I need to know! ohmy.gif
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jan 1 2019, 02:29 PM
Post #1052

Councilor
Group Icon

Previously: County Bruma. Fighters Guild members Jerric, Kjestrid, Shamir-do, and Gjaever entered a Gate to Oblivion. They arrived in an icy, unstable realm. The Gate closed, trapping them. Jerric’s summoned frost atronach Ishckrihk located another open Gate and a possible return route to Mundus.

SubRosa: Ah, “willed” sounds much better. Thank you! I was a little surprised at how Izzy and Jerric connected in the last episode. I wonder if I will ever find a chance to contrast a daedric elemental being with an aedric one. Our Nord is a terrible spy. At least he technically made it out of County Bruma before announcing his full name! tongue.gif

Acadian: Thank you, Acadian! Itchy has been fun to write. Thanks for spotting that wayward d.

Darkness Eternal: Thank you, DE! They will soon figure out where they are.

Kazaera: Thank you, Kaz! The Gate closings can be tedious in the game. I’m glad changing them up a bit in the story world keeps the danger close.

ghastley: Kjestrid is in deeper trouble than she’s ever been, but so far she’s proving her worth. She’s still not entirely sure about Jerric, though. Thank you, ghastley!

McBadgere: Thank you, McB! Here’s another one!

mALX: You got it, Alga’s “Mother Mara mild” line from the game was a warning that even though she and Honmund weren’t married, Jerric should keep his trousers buckled around her man. Poor Jerric was out of sorts with all of the “real” Skyrim Nords and attempts at secrecy. Pretty soon he would have stood on the table at the Tap and Tack and yelled, “I’m Jerric! Come and get me!” Good thing a Gate opened, he knows what to do about that! Thank you, mALX!

kafn8ed: A warm welcome, and thank you very much for the bump! I went back to this story for my NaNo project in November, and here are the results!

Next: A chilly hike.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jan 1 2019, 02:45 PM
Post #1053

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter 17: Bruma, Part Twelve

The ground became rockier as they climbed. Icy grit made drifts in the lower areas. The distance felt farther than Jerric had expected. Uncertainty gnawed at his nerves. He couldn’t sink into his travel mind the way he liked.

Ishckrihk led the way, three atronach paces ahead of Jerric and to his left. Jerric wondered how long his summoning would last in this realm, since he was not taking damage and repairing himself. He knew that he imbued the atronach with a certain amount of his magicka at the summoning, but after that it was up to the frost man.

Now that Jerric was paying attention to his magicka, he noticed that the steady flow from his gulp of Jerric’s Juice potion had slowed to a trickle. He squinted ahead at Ishckrihk, remembering how the atronach had reached into his well of magicka as he formed. Here was a being of immeasurable age and experience. Who knew how many Nirn centuries had passed while Ishckrihk was in the Void, or how many lifetimes he had spent in untold realms? Did daedric entities even age? No wonder he was laughing at me.

Jerric trotted a few steps to catch up with him.

“Ishckrihk.”

The atronach angled his head knob in response. “Ck.”

Jerric decided to keep the rest between the two of them. ‘Show me your home.’

Ishckrihk’s head tilted back and then forward again.

‘Your place of origin,’ Jerric explained. ‘The realm where you… spawn..?’ He imagined all manner of young creatures and placed them in the eye of his mind for Ishckrihk to view. Then he recalled what he had told Kjestrid. Instead of young creatures that change as they grow, he pictured snakes and fish hatching and then becoming larger versions of their younger selves.

Jerric’s mind filled with images in reply from the atronach. He struggled to keep his feet moving as he concentrated.

In Ishckrihk’s vision he stood atop one of many cliffs that curved like ribbons impossibly set on their narrow sides. Crystalline spires jutting up from the ground towered over him, bathed in light from a blue-green sky. The height took his breath. Then he realized that he didn’t need to breathe.

The ground was smooth. Hard but made of flowing shapes. In contrast the ice spikes were all angles. A keening sound began. He felt an answering vibration build inside him.

The spikes began to move.

“Jerric!” Kjestrid shouted.

His real eyes opened to the cold as something yanked him backward. Jerric scrambled for balance, wheeling his arms in the air. They had reached the edge of a sharp decline. It wasn’t a cliff, but it would have been a bad fall.

Ishckrihk’s faint light glimmered ahead and down the slope.

“Did you try to walk me off the edge, ice man?” Jerric yelled at him.

Ishckrihk’s head lump turned in imitation of a mortal’s. He lifted his arms up slightly from his sides.

“What was that about?” Kjestrid demanded.

“I forgot I was walking,” said Jerric. “Uh, that is to say, I asked him… Well, he’s not from here, I don’t think.”

Kjestrid snorted. “You said it.” She began her descent, cutting the sides of her boots into the slope.

Gjaever took a position between Jerric and Ishckrihk.

“Jerric said that he does not think,” Shamir-do explained. The Khajiit had bundled his head in such a way that his ears and whiskers still stuck out. His eyes squeezed in catly humor.

“Yeah, I got it. Thanks for the catch.”

“Gjaever had the honor.” Shamir-do gestured for Jerric to move ahead. “But now this one guards Jerric’s back.”

The terrain looked more difficult than it was to traverse. When they reached a point below some far bluffs, the wind became easier to ignore. The mountains and volcano that Ishckrihk had shown Jerric did not become visible to their eyes. Eventually Jerric decided that landscape lay behind the bluffs, as they had dropped in elevation while walking.

The magicka from his potion had stopped its flow. Jerric noticed a slow but steady drain. It was coming from Ishckrihk.

Jerric called a halt. “There’s a situation.”

He waited for them to gather around, Gjaever maintaining his defensive position.

“Keeping him summoned drains my magicka. I have a good supply of my potion, but—”

“What’s your plan?” Kjestrid asked him.

“I want to keep him, at least for now.”

“All right. You’re in charge of your magicka. We’re used to getting along without a lot of spells.”

Jerric weighed his waterskin of Jerric’s Juice as they resumed their walk. He had as much as he could take without poisoning himself, but experience made him wary. He decided to let his reserve get low rather than sipping at the potion. After all, many daedric creatures used magical attacks that he might absorb, including Ishckrihk. The thought of his guildmates’ reaction to his inviting the atronach to attack him with frost almost made him grin. Then the image of Kjestrid bleeding out for the lack of a healing spell brought him back to the moment.

“Ishckrihk,” Jerric called out. “That way, toward the lower pass, right?” He gestured as well as picturing what he meant for clarity. “I’m sending you back for a bit. But stay ready.” Whatever that means to a disembodied being in the Void.

At the affirmative reply, Jerric dispelled him.

They stopped to rest more often than Jerric thought necessary. Rations were consumed without discussion. They left the blowing salj behind and climbed through the pass to a high plain of grey ice. In the clearer air distant mountains became visible, pale streaked with red and black. Lava flows, Jerric decided. That explains the fog. Where the grey clouds cleared, white stars gleamed in a black sky. “This is starting to look familiar.”

An orange speck appeared over their left shoulders as they walked. “That’s the other Gate,” Jerric pointed. “We’re getting closer to the Sigil Tower.” He hadn’t realized the depth of his doubt until the sight proved Ishckrihk true.

When Kjestrid called another rest, Jerric broke the silence. “Soon we’ll get to the settlement. We’ll be able to tell which one is the Sigil Tower by the fire coming out the top. It runs up through the middle of the tower like a column. When we take the stone, we won’t be burned. It’s arcane fire. Don’t let it touch you until we have the stone, though. Then it will pull us in and carry us out.”

Kjestrid worked a bit of jerky to the side of her jaw. “Tell us more about that.”

“Well, we’ll be, uh, not solid. Like ghosts. The fire is hot but it won’t be able to burn us.”

“Ghosts can burn,” said Shamir-do.

Jerric gave him a look, unsure if the cat was worried or just annoying.

“How will we all..?” Kjestrid’s half-question hung in the air.

“You grab the stone,” Jerric told her, “and we’ll all hold on to you.”

“Good plan,” said Kjestrid. She gestured with the dried meat. “Jerric will take the stone, and we’ll each hold on to him.”

Jerric decided not to argue. When the time came, whoever was left standing would deal with the stone. “How are you doing with that ring?” he asked Kjestrid. If he had worn a life-detection charm for this long, he would be hard-pressed to move for all of the vomiting.

“It takes some getting used to,” Kjestrid admitted. “I can almost ignore your life signs now. Like you can talk over a pack of kids playing until your own baby cries.”

“You have children?” Perhaps she had adopted some. Jerric could picture Kjestrid naked as clearly as if they still sat in the steam hut. His navel check had never failed him.

“No.”

He nodded at her hand. “Are you still wearing it?”

“Aye.” Kjestrid raised a gloved fist. With her other hand she stuffed the rest of the dried meat into her mouth.

Jerric put his attention to his own meal. Breakfast felt like another lifetime.

“Have you seen anything alive?” he asked after a moment. “The range isn’t great, so the smallest thing could be worth looking at.”

Kjestrid shook her head, chewing.

“This one has smelled nothing,” Shamir-do put in. He sat on his haunches with knees raised, ever ready to spring up. His tail lay still across his lap.

“You staying warm enough?” Jerric asked him. “This place looks dead, but I’d wager that under this snow we’d find something to burn.”

Shamir-do dipped his head in acknowledgment. “Rest is good but cold, and moving is warm but tiring. Kjestrid sets a good balance.”

Jerric glanced over at Gjaever. The big Nord looked like he might nod off into sleep, but Jerric was not fooled.

“What kind of things have you seen in the other realms?” Kjestrid asked. “I want to hear it from you.”

“The places I’ve traveled are all parts of the same realm,” Jerric said. “There are mountains, rocky hills, volcanoes, and rivers of lava. It’s hot and smells like… Like wind from a forge mixed with dust and meat. Our dead don’t rot the way they do at home. They bubble and seep, but I’ve passed the same bloated horse months apart. It never split open.”

“What kind of animals are there? Do they have wildlife?”

“You could say that. Clannfears sometimes move together in herds like grazing beasts. Daedroths seem to have their territories, like bears or the solitary minotaurs you find. The dremora put the scamps to work, though. I’ve never seen them without some task that they’re doing.” He wiggled his fingers. “It’s the thumbs.”

“Do they fight each other? What do they eat?”

“That’s a good question. I’d like to know how to get them to fight each other. I’ve seen scamps play with, uh, meat, and I’ve seen clannfears nip at bloodgrass. Where the dremora dwell they have these blood fountains for healing. Well, they’re in the towers. Not sure how to describe what the dremora are doing there. I’ve not seen any place that makes me think they sleep or cook or eat. Even their… kills are displayed like trophies or something. They sit, though. I’ve seen plenty of chambers with benches where they sit and who knows what they’re doing.” The black rooms in the towers with their red light and flayed mortals hung like decorative objects haunted his dreams. Now they threatened to appear in his waking vision. “Look, you have all seen some skitt in our line of work. This is going to be worse. There is nothing we can do for anyone here except close the Gate so they don’t get company.”

Gjaever had turned to watch Jerric. His eyes looked like a spirit in a mountain.

“How do you know their blood will heal?” Kjestrid asked.

“I found out by accident. Makes sense, dremora hearts make strong healing potions. So do xivilai hearts. They look like mortal hearts only,” he made a gesture, “bigger.”

Shamir-do let out a hiss that sounded like magesss.

“Darnand is not a necromancer,” Jerric told him. “But some of his books have— never mind.”

“They told us about dremora,” Kjestrid said. “But not about xivilai.”

“Big half-naked grey fetchers. Horns. They cast a lot of spells. They can absorb a lot of spells, too. Tremendous reach. Swing a war hammer with one hand. But they don’t like frost, so maybe we won’t see them here. And they work alone. Not like the dremora.”

“Frost or frost magic?” Kjestrid asked.

Jerric blinked at her. “You make a good point. I don’t know.”

“It is said that the Hero of Kvatch ate the hearts of his enemies to give him power,” said Shamir-do.

Jerric pointed his apple at the Khajiit. “Savlian Matius does not eat people.”

Kjestrid snorted. “We all know who they’re talking about.”

“You’ll get to hear your own names whispered when we get back,” Jerric said. “I hope you don’t have to eat any hearts before this is over.” He tucked the apple core into his pack, reluctant to leave anything of home in this realm.

This post has been edited by Grits: Jan 3 2019, 11:22 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 1 2019, 05:36 PM
Post #1054

Councilor
Group Icon

Yeah, that would be gross, I agree. Hope no hearts get eaten.

Hee hee Jerric communicates with an atronach, through mind-pictures! biggrin.gif Wish I could do that with my cat sometimes.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jan 1 2019, 06:33 PM
Post #1055

Master
Group Icon

The only hearts worth eating are Daedric Hearts! ;P

Enjoying this still! Glad you got back into this over November . . .

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 1 2019, 09:19 PM
Post #1056

Councilor
Group Icon

I suspect that if this was the Nano project, instead of an interruption to it, that we might be getting a bit more than one episode.

WOOOOTTT!!

And Renee, daedra-heart-eating is Buffy's party-trick, not Jerric's.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 1 2019, 09:32 PM
Post #1057

Paladin
Group Icon

What a delightful New Year surprise!

I found myself reaching for hat, scarf and gloves during this perilously frigid trek. Brrrr!

How very Jerric to follow his curiosity with a question to Itchy Creek then become dangerously distracted by the images that Itchy provided. You have wonderfully developed the details of Jerric’s relationship with his frosty pal – to include magicka management as a significant consideration, given the Nord’s blessing/curse birthsign.

“Rest is good but cold, and moving is warm but tiring. Kjestrid sets a good balance.” - - Shamir-do is a wise cat.

“Savlian Matius does not eat people.” - - True, that. Buffy only knew him to nibble – and gently – on one small elf. . . . wink.gif

@ghastley - Hee! Buffy certainly led Raminus Polus to believe she had eaten the heart of a dremora. . . but only her paladin knows for sure.

Nit? “I want keep him, at least for now.” - - I know this is dialogue but did Jerric omit a ‘to’ before the word keep?

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jan 2 2019, 12:31 AM
Post #1058

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 1 2019, 02:19 PM) *

*Snip*
And Renee, daedra-heart-eating is Buffy's party-trick, not Jerric's.

No, no, this is Julian’s specialty! Cut them up like sweet pepper and eat ‘em raw . . .

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jan 2 2019, 07:39 PM
Post #1059

Master
Group Icon

Christmas is complete. Books- check. New games- check. Food- check. More Jerric- WOO HOO!

Let me get this quote out of the way first because I just can't help myself- I blame story-induced giddiness...

Icy grit made drifts in the lower areas.

And I see Grits, working in at the keyboard, and that warms my furry heart.

“Ghosts can burn,” said Shamir-do.

Jerric gave him a look, unsure if the cat was worried or just annoying.

An eternal question regarding cats- at least in my experience.

The whole description of the Oblivion plane is worth quoting- it says as much about Jerric as about the scenes he describes.

And the closing- which I am going to quote because it is too good not to:

“It is said that the Hero of Kvatch ate the hearts of his enemies to give him power,” said Shamir-do.

Jerric pointed his apple at the Khajiit. “Savlian Matius does not eat people.”

Kjestrid snorted. “We all know who they’re talking about.”

“You’ll get to hear your own names whispered when we get back,” Jerric said. “I hope you don’t have to eat any hearts before this is over.” He tucked the apple core into his pack, reluctant to leave anything of home in this realm.

Such wonderful characterization and poignancy.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 2 2019, 08:48 PM
Post #1060

Ancient
Group Icon

Looks like Itchy comes from a place not too different from Kal-El's, except for the lack of a red sun. But Superman would not try to walk someone off a cliff. Obviously Frostman plays by different rules... devilsmile.gif

I liked your world-building of Jerric's magical-fuel limitations concerning keeping Itchy around indefinitely. It helps keep magicians from being overpowered.

We all know Buffy is the one who eats Dremora hearts! Just ask Raminus Polus.

--------------------
+Quote Post

57 Pages V « < 51 52 53 54 55 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:34 PM